Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

Wants: 1,134
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 950 | Hads: 3,179
4.22/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to thefatkid13 for sending this to me. I wish it was available here in TN.

poured a hazy reddish brown color with a nice head. The head is white with some pinkish tones. Had decent retention but disappeared completely and had almost no lacing. Smells and tastes are exactly the same - cherries, sweet and sour. Low carbonation with a smooth medium body.

A delicious dessert drink. The only thing that affects the drinkability for me is that it may be a little too sweet to drink more than one bottle. Well maybe two or three, but definitely no more than that.

FANTASTIC! The aroma is full of ripe, sweet cherries with a hint of malt. The flavor is absolutely full of cherry flavor perfectly balanced with a wonderful malt/wheat backbone that makes it taste like a fresh cherry pie, including subtle spices that remind you of cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top. One of my favorite beers!

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Big thanks to ncbvc for this gem. Poured into snifter glass.

A. Redish brown with white fluffy head that leaves a nice lacing the whole way through.

S. Great smell of cherries and a slight maltiness.

T. Simply fantastic. A wonderfully balanced cherry flavor, slightly tart and mildly oaky. Possibly the most fantastic taste I've ever tried.

M. Light and crisp with a mild carbonation.

D. Exceptional drinkability. Could easily drink this all night and not get bored.

Overall this is one fantastic brew. Glad to have tried this and sorry to see this bottle empty. I knew I shouldn't have shared this with my girlfriend and her mother.

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

One of the spoils from a trip to Wisconsin. Shared on Thanksgiving with the family to some mixed feelings, but here is what I thought.

A - Small off white head, cloudy, reddish brown color looks like a glass of apple cider with some red food coloring.

S - The smell reminds of a sour cherry cobbler that we make after picking fresh sour cherries in the summer. Really nothing else in the smell but cherries.

T - The taste is a unique mixture of sweet and tart cherries. For me not too much of either just right in both departments.

M - Generally smooth with some dryness at the end. The carbonation was perfect for the style, very similar mouth feel to champagne - just toned on the dryness and carbonation.

D - I couldn't drink this everyday, but it truly is a great drink and would never complain when I get my hands on a bottle. If you have friends who don't like beer get them to try this it should open their eyes to the versatility of beer styles.

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

Presentation: An 750ml Bottle with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: Pours a Dark almost red wine red. Fizzy head that disappears almost instantly.

Smell: A very cherry smell to it with a hint of vanilla.

Taste: A rich sweet taste of cherries that take over on this beer. A little hopy taste that turns out to balance real well.

Mouth-Feel: a medium bodied brew with a lot of carbonation.

Drink-Ability: I really enjoyed this brew but I could not drink a lot of it.

4.62/5  rDev +6.2%

nflmvp brought me this one. Big thanks.

A - Hazy muted red with a white head that fades quickly. Looks sort of like carbonated juice.

S - Sweet, tart cherries dominate the smell.

T - Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb! Yeah. I went there. Very sweet cherry flavor. Tastes like a carbonated version of French Lick Winery's Montmorency Cherry. Very good. Slight malt in the finish.

M - I love the way it coats your mouth and sticks with you. The carbonation really adds to the whole experience.

D - Goes down really smooth. No alcohol detected at all. But that's not really a surprise.

3.08/5  rDev -29.2%

I had this beer to celebrate my brother moving into his new house and I was anticipating this to be the greatest beer ever. When i saw the beer It wasnt the most impressive beer i have ever seen, but i felt that when you make a cherry beer it would look like this, in that aspect the brewer had gotten exactley what they wanted. The smell was wonderful. When you are making a cherry beer you should smell Cherrys and nothing but. That is exactly what i smelled. The taste hit me as medicinal. I dont like to ever speak bad of beers but i could not shake the fact that it tasted like cough medicine. The mouthfeel was an exception to the taste. The beer seemed to be perfectly carbonated and didnt give me any reason to review it as bad. The drinkability of this beer was not good FOR ME. I emphasize for me because I know that there are people that could drink this like crazy but i am more of a beer guy and never drink wine. I feel bad to ever give out a bad review but to me this beer was like a fine painting that would never look good in my house but I can thoroughly appreciate the effort and time put into it.

4.31/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The liquid pours a creamy red with a quick-dying head. The smell was of sweet cherries and the taste was exactly the same. I expected this and enjoyed it for what it was, even though it bordered on coy for me. Personally, I would have *preferred* a beer I could see through, lighter body and a bit cleaner on the finish. But the effervescent tingle in my mouth after each sip was wonderful.

Appearance: Pours a red/pink color with a film of a white head. Just looks like a fruit beer.

Smell: Smells of straight up sweet cherries and tartness. So inviting.

Taste - Taste mirrors the nose. Not too sweet. Not too syrupy. Just perfect.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel.

Overall: One of the best fruit beers I've ever had. Just right. If I traded, this, Raspberry Tart and Serendipity would be on my permanent ISO list. I could drink this every day.

4.17/5  rDev -4.1%

750mL bottle shared with nicoco poured in to Weyerbacher Tulips. Bottle sent by richkrull. Thanks dude!

A: A hazy deep red with about 1/4" of cream colored head. Head settles rather quickly to leave a ring around the outside of the pour. Light lacing.

S: Cherry tootsie pops! Smells like any cherry flavored candy with faint hints of chocolate. Pretty one dimensional.

T: CHERRY! Cherry? Yeah...maybe a little cherry. Did I say cherry? Also, a little bit of chocolate, but damn...mostly sweet cherries!

M: Very light carbonation, light bodied, yet sticky.

O: Well, if they were trying to make a beer taste like candied cherries, I'd say they nailed it. If you were expecting any tartness to the flavor, you're going to be disappointed. Remember, this is a fruit beer, not a wild ale or a lambic. That said, this is excellent.

4.52/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to CapitalAmber for bringing this back from WI.

750 ml bottle into big snifter (not the whole bottle)

A) Smells like cherry Italian ice. Wow!

S) The beer is quite opaque, and red to reddish brown depending on how the light hits it. Not a whole lot of head on top, but when it is there it has a pink hue.

T) The taste is all cherry and wheat. It's tart, but in a soft and mellow way.

M) It feels fairly sweet even though it doesn't taste particularly sweet.

D) I could probably have the whole thing but I'd feel bad about not sharing - it's too good to hog.

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%

This beer makes me long for my home state... Wisconsin.

A: Ruby amber in color, with a fluffy 2-finger off white head. Not much lacing. Looks fruity.

S: Scent of crunchy, tart cherries, with just a whiff of malt/wheat.

T: All about the cherries. Tart, delicious, beautiful cherries. Some sweetness balances it well, and it is never cloying. Finishes with a lingering cherry taste.

M: Medium bodied. Carbonation is perfect. Mildly effervescent.

D: ALL DAY. Light in alcohol, big in delicious flavor.

I don't know if it's possible to improve upon a beer like this... absolutely delicious. I wish I'd brought another back from WI after my last trip. Kudos to New Glarus.

4.35/5  rDev 0%

Appearance -- Poured from bottle into Duvel tulip glass. Very thick, dark, reddish-pink in color; very reminiscent of grapefruit juice. Thin head that disappeared quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell -- Sweet fruit: apples, pears, cherries. It really reminds me of how a nice holiday fruit punch smells. Perhaps some spices as well. Very interesting.

Taste -- Tart cherries. Very pleasant and very fruity. This one in no way tastes artificial. This is the real deal. Quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel -- Thicker feel. Pretty clean overall. The carbonation reminds me of champagne.

Drinkability -- Outstanding drinkability. This is a really impressive beer. It's so different than what I'd expect in a beer. Very good find. This would taste fantastic outside on a crisp autumn day. I plan on seeking this one out again.

4.82/5  rDev +10.8%

One of the true greats brewed in the US. I have had it 4 or 5 times, always in a 750ml bottle. This beer pours at a deep ruby color with a fantastic cherry aroma. This is a beer that deserves to be served in a large snifter style glass, or something similar to a wine glass. Did I mention the aroma? Very tart cherry flavor that you will want to sip and savor. The flavor is not at all sweet as some might expect when they see the cherry on the label. This isn't an everyday beer, and it definitely isn't a session beer. This is something that is great for a nice meal or after dinner.

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

This bottle pours a deep red with a pink head. The smell of the cherries is really potent and nice. The taste is like cherries with a bit of candy in it. Alcohol is undectectable. I don't really like "fruit" beers but this is a nice take on it that you can have for dessert or share with women.

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my goblet....

A: Pours a murky red w/golden hues and a tiny red-tinged head, head dissipates quickly.

S: Rich, delicious, tart cherries, and some wheaty funk....

T: This beer tastes exactly like cherry pie. Rich, luscious cherry flavor w/nice tartness up front, finishes with a sweet candy flavor.

M: Average body

D: Outstanding. If this stuff was more readily available for me I could drink it all night long. This stuff is liquid desert. An absolute treat for beer geeks with a sweet tooth.

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

750...mine poured into a pint glass, my lady's poured into a Mason jar! (Thats all she had for glassware at her place)

A - Beautiful ruby color with a nice finger+ worth of redish white foam on top. Nice retention and lacing on it.

S - Not surprisingly, cherries and some grainy backbone. Smells absolutely delicious.

T - Wow, amazingly good with the cherry the huge star of course. Not real tart either. And the grains add just the right backing to this. Just outstanding.

M - I'd call it light-medium bodied, decent carbonation. Ultra-smooth and drinkable.

O - My girl LOVED this one. She was reluctant to even try it but boy did she rave. Me, I loved it as well. I am NOT a fruit beer guy but this one is just exceptional. I could drink this all summer long

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

One of the best fruity beers, maybe second to serendipity (haven't had strawberry rhubarb yet). I don't really like fruity beers, but new glarus makes the best fruity beers out there. Very balanced, delicious, intense and enjoyed by everyone even people who don't like beers.

This one is strong cloudy red in appearance. Aroma of cinnamon, apples, cherries. Sweet upfront and lightly tart in finish. Wonderful in a hot summer day, for light breakfast or with muffin. Has a nice refreshing and palate cleansing carbonation.

Worth all the hype. New glarus are one of my favorite breweries and would highly recommend any beer lover to try at least some of their sours or fruity beers.

4.23/5  rDev -2.8%

Picked this up on my way through Wisconsin a few weeks ago. Bottle was shared with the girlfriend to celebrate the 4th.. poured into my tulip.

A: Strong, aggressive pour yields a deep ruby red with a creamy white/red-tinted head. Maybe my pour was a bit too strong because man did that head build fast! I ended up with a bit of an overflowing head over the narrowing top of my tulip glass. The head lasts a few minutes and leaves some small spotty lacing.

S: Wow! Very, very dominating scent of cherries! Usually a strong fruit aroma would steer me away, but man this just amazes me. I can't stop smelling it. I would like a bit more complexity, but the cherry scent is still very intriguing.

T: I expected this to almost be one note considering how much the cherries dominated the scent.. and in a sense it was, but in an enjoyable way. The cherry flavor started off very sweet, but actually finished on a sour note with a slight tartness and maybe some slight Belgian characteristics.

M: Very light and very well carbonated. Little bubbles form across your tongue and make this drink like a champagne.

D: Low in abv and enticing flavor make this a very enjoyable beer and a good choice for a celebratory beer with friends.

4.69/5  rDev +7.8%

Heard many good things about this beer from this website and other reliable sources, so I decided to seek it out during my most recent trip Milwaukee. So glad I did, too!

As stated on the bottle, it was "the marriage of wine and beer." Poured into a tulip glass from the 22 oz. wax capped bottle.

A- Deep red pour, champange bubbles (same yeast?), very hazy

S- CHERRY ORCHARD! Not sweet, syrupy or artificial cherries- very natural, ripe cherries.

T- As expected, cherries galore. An upfront sweetness lingers and dissolves to a tart aftertaste. SO rich, so good.

M- Very unique, and extremely enticing. Though the bubbles make it light on the tongue, there is still plenty of body in this beer with a curiously creamy mouthfeel.

D- The low abv of 4% lends to its high drinkability, as well as how delicious it is. Unfortunately, with its decadent, rich sweetness you'll be limited to drinking only a few small glasses.

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

750 ml bottle picked up from Woodmans Liquor on 12/26/08.

Appearance: The color of fresh transmission fluid. Bright, sparkling red with a slight pink head.

Smell: To me the smell was more fresh cherry Pop-Tarts then beer. Some background bready notes, but was dominated by cherries.

Taste: Expected to have a dominant sweet cherry flavor, but the cherry flavor was more sour than sweet. Kind of like drinking sparkling maraschino cherry juice.

Mouthfeel: Expected a thin body, but ended up being quite filling on the palette. Some lingering on the tongue, but definitely heavier on the palette than I expected.

Overall: Excellent beer, and I was kind of leery of this going into the tasting. Ended up being something that I would maybe by one of on visits to Wisconsin, but this is defintely a dessert beer.

Date Drunk: 1/28/11

Bomber into pint glass

First off, this should be a soda made by Jones. I can't believe something this tasty is a beer. Smell of cherries fills the air the minute you open this bomber. Tart, sour, and sweet taste of cherries is experienced throughout the drinking process. Beer may be too sweet to have more then one bomber, but when the taste wears out, you crave another sip to satisfy the sweet cherry flavor. If only I was drinking this on a beautiful summer day instead of cold ass Chicago winter.

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

I usually don't like fruity beers, but this is in the top 100, so I wanted to try it. I made a trek to Wisconsin this weekend, and it was worth it!. I think most of New Glarus' offerings are overrated...but not this. What a wonderful surprise! It deserves all the praise it gets.

A: Pours a ruby red with a half-inch white head.

S: Cherry Cherry Cherry.

T: I swear they melted down cherry Lifesavers and made a beer out of them!

M: Smooth. Medium body, with many tiny bubbles.

D: Very drinkable. Like champagne with cherry juice stirred in.

Now I may have to try the Raspberry brew!

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Finally got one of these. Friend bought it at a gas station in Wisconsin!?!? That's wisconsin for you.

This is one beer that MUST be reviewed in its class as a fruit beer.

A- pours... well... red and bubbly.

S- Cherry 7up? Yeah. Cherries are present. So not really cherry 7 up because that stuff is fake. This stuff is REAL cherries.

T- It almost is like a healthy fruit drink. Is there alcohol in here? Perfect cherry taste. Not to sweet or tart.

M- Good bit of carbonation

D- I mean its not really like drinking a beer. There is little resemblance of a beer. So very easy to drink but I think I might get sick of it. This is a weird drink, but weird done perfectly.

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%

I've wanted this for a long time. Not disappointed.

A- Dark red-to-brown. Decent inch high head into a flute. Dissipates quickly.

S- Small cherry and biscuit.

T- Most profound cherry flavor balanced with some malt and yeast.

M- A bit heavier than I expected but the body is welcomed. Would be excellent paired with a dessert cheese plate.

D- So drinkable. Sweet but not cloyingly so.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company