Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Smells like maraschino cherry juice....very sweet and syrupy. Rich. Awesome.

Pours crimson red in my flute glass. Small but decent head.

And the taste?? Wowza. Probably the best fruit beer I've ever had. Actually, drop the probably...it IS the best. Starts off very sweet and juicy, with bing cherries bursting through all over. Really it's like I'm drinking the juice of ripe bing cherries. Know what else it reminds me of?? A cherry Jolly Rancher. I don't mean to make that comparison as to make it sound fake, as this doesn't taste artificial to me at all...which makes sense, considering they use real cherries in the brewing process. However, on the finish, there's a good acidic tartness that comes through and keeps the sweetness from being cloying throughout the drink. This dryness actually remains me of a wine. This raises the drinkability for me quite a bit. I'm not sure if these are tannins or not, though the website does say this is like a marriage between wine and beer.

Just awesome all around. Every drink was delicious and I awaited the next.

3.75/5  rDev -14.4%

4.89/5  rDev +11.6%

Ohh my god that is the best smell in the world. Rich ripe, sweet cherries and cherry puree. It smells like the filling of an expensively made cherry pastry. It’s just fantastic smelling that’s all that can be said. Faded pink/light red in color with a thin white film of a head. Jeez this brewery makes increndible fruit beers. Fore is full of cherry, spritzy carbonation, mild acidic citric notes toward the finish. The middle has ever so slightly sour notes, some nuttiness and a smooth icing laden fried, flaky sweet dough flavor that carries into the finish. This really is a liquid Cherry Fritter and it is utterly amazing. This is the kind of beer that gets you excited all over again about what beer is and can be.

4.67/5  rDev +6.6%

Eye: Murky red going brown in the glass. No head formation or retention. Still looks good though in the glass.

Nose: Strong sour cherry aroma. Very nice. Not cloyingly sweet smelling like many beers that use cherry or other fruits. Its not just cherry either, its like I get the entire cherry, from the fruit itself to the stem to the pit and even almost to the tree.

Tongue: Slightly tart and sour, big cherry tones with some soda-like qualities. This kinda reminds me of what a fermented cherry wine would taste like but less forward with the cherry, less alcohol, presence of carbonation, and a touch of sweetness with more acidity than a fruit wine. Some oaky tones come through as well. Not sour or tart or sticky sweet as many of the bigger named and more popular fruit lambics.

Feel and Drinkability: Spritzy and fine carbonation, almost like it burns, it attacks the palate and fills the mouth in a most pleasing way....but not like soda and yet it doesn't interfere with the beer's flavor. Body is a bit heavier than I expected, medium in body going toward heavy. Very champagne like. This is one that I'd regularly celebrate with if only I could get my hands on it.

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

Out of a winelike bottle, coolness points for wax dripped across the cap. Pinkish red with minimal head.

Smell is a blast of cherries. Wonderful.

As best I can describe the taste, it goes:
cherry pie -->maraschino cherries --> sour cherries --> sweettarts

Mouthfeel compliments the taste nicely.

I split this bottle with several people, and found the taste to be quite enjoyable. But I really doubt that I could finish a whole bottle myself, I think the sweetness would get to me after awhile.

Certainly worth a try. I don't know that I'm really a big fan of fruit beers, but this one is nicely done.

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

Great googly-moogly! This nectar pours with a creamy off-white/light pink head that settles over cloudy crimson colored liquid. The nose (and what a nose it is) is comprised of sour cherry, light maltiness and apple pie spice scents...very appetizing to me. Taste is sour and somewhat acidic, almost astringent...with more cherry sourness and apple-like flavors. Not the most complex beer, but very soothing and drinkable...a perfect blend of taste and mouthfeel. Ends up long and ultra tasty with a nice dry sour tanginess at the end...I like this beer, I really like this beer! I could drink gallons of this stuff...or better yet, swim in it!

Thanks to Chip (faernt) for the chance to try this long sought after gem. It was as good as I had expected!

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Pours a murky reddish brown with a nice sized head that subsides to a bubbly layer of foam. Good lacing.

S: Nothing exciting here, just cherries.

T: Sweet cherry and vanilla flavors followed with a bit of tartness in the finish. Tastes like cherry candy.

M: Less carobnated than most fruit beers or lambics. This is a good thing, I think. Slightly puckering on the first sip, but the sourness smooths out.

D: Not an everyday beer, of course, but very good. The cherry flavor isn't obnoxious like in some fruit beers, but rather you get just the right amount of flavor. Highly recommended.

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to Kegatron for sharing some of this with me.

Pours a slightly hazy red with dark orange hues. 2 fingers of fluffy pinkish eggshell head has good retention and leaves beautiful lacing. Smells of sour cherries, brown sugar, cinnamon, and light bread, much like fresh cherry cobbler. Tastes of brown sugar and light cinnamon along with pie dough and a huge dose of sour cherries, with a touch of grass. Medium in body with great fizzy carbonation, almost champagne-like. Very smooth and creamy with excellent sweet fruitiness and a nice punch of tartness. This is definitely among my top dessert beers, and wouldn't mind having it every week with Sunday dinner.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to Alexander and Masterski for the bottles. Much appreciated

A-- Poured a lighter shade of black cherry. thought it was a brown ale at first. Very clear and very little head, what head was there was white at at best film only.

S-- Cherry soda. Plain and simple. Great nose. Cherries and brown sugar. Ripe and fresh. Very tart nose with this. Has my mouth watering already.

T-- Black cherry, cherry jam, candied cherry. More cherry than you can throw a stick at. Highly carbonated and closer to soda than beer.

M-- Literally like drinking cherry pie. Get brown sugar, bread, cherries (duh) and a lot of tartness in the finish. Oak is there but reserved and soft. helps contrast the cherries and adds dimension to this. A whole lot of acid with this. high carbonation and light feel. Very nice.

O-- Reminds me of the Thorogoods Apple beers but with the ABV toned down, drinkability higher, and obviously being cherry. Closer to sparkling apple cider in the fruitiness of this and the drinkability of it. Stunning beer for summer.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

A buddy of mine brought back 3 bottles for me after his last trip to WI. Split 3 ways with him and another friend. Poured into a red wine glass...

A - Pours a gorgeous, shiny ruby red color with no real head whatsoever. At times, with no light hitting it, it appears slightly brownish. Slight agitation produces a miniute fzz, but no head to speak of.

S - Sweet cherries and some slight spice to it as well. No malt or hop presence is noticeable. Most cherry aroma I've ever gotten from a brew.

T - Sour, sweet but not cloying in any way, slight spice. Like drinking a cherry pie; absolutely delicious and unlike any cherry beer I have ever had before.

M - Light body with mild carbination. Great crispness with a nice tart finish.

D - I could easily drink several of these. Not too sweet like I thought it would be and quite a nice refreshing beer to have. Would go great with desserts.

3.75/5  rDev -14.4%

4.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Thanks to Cosmohophead for lugging this one back from Darkness Day for me.

This beer pours a muddy ruby with a nice 3 inch cap that disappears into just a thin ring around the inside of the glass. The head lingers and leaves decent lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is undiluted organic cherry juice. No added sweeteners, no preservatives, just cherry. The flavor reminds me of organic cherry fruit roll ups. Concentrated tartness intermingled with cherry sweetness. Tasty, tasty stuff. For some reason, I also pick up just a hint of chocolate. Maybe some chocolate malts are added. This beer is utterly fantastic. The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy for me but really, that's a little thing. I don't know if this is the best American fruit beer (because that distinction could go to Raspberry Tart) but its damn close.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%