2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

Ratings: 2048

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 826-850 | 851-875 | 876-900  | next › last »
Ratings: 2,048 | Reviews: 885 | Show All Ratings:
locthebloke

Wisconsin

4.58/5  rDev +4.8%

A.) - Shines a rusty, ruby hue in the glass. .5'' to 1'' frothy head that dissipates quickly. Fleeting lace as the glass is tipped.

S.) - Cherries, cherries, cherries. Fresh ones, at that. What would you expect?

T.) - A blast of sweet, tart cherries and not much else. Some pleasant malt sneaks in the back door. This hardly tastes like beer at all, and that is not a bad thing. Unforgettable taste. At only 4% ABV, hardly a tinge of alcohol, as one would expect.

M.) Smooth and sprightly. Utterly drinkable. Probably the least beer-like beer I have ever had, and I mean that in a good way.

O.) - Won't find a fruit beer much better than this. Picked up a bottle of this stuff at a liquor store 5 minutes from my house. Fortunate to be in Wisconsin where it is available. A good brew for the summer months. I see myself sitting on a lawn chair in the sun and going through 2 of the wine-style bottles myself. Mild, unique and utterly delicious.

05-18-2011 04:29:02 | More by locthebloke
Socalbeerlover

4.85/5  rDev +11%

I thought my first review should be the best fruit beer I have had to date.
A. Ruby red with tiny bubbles well carbonated.
S. Like McDonalds Cherry pie. I want to smell this beer as much as drink it.
T.Like Sara Lee Cherry Pie in a Glass def taste the "over a pound of Door Cherries per bottle".
M.Carbonated ,like champagne, sweet.
O.Fantastic,light ,fruity, cherries really come thru,crisp a great early morning riser due to the low alc% gladly pay 20$ to get a bottle shipped now and then.

07-26-2011 14:46:47 | More by Socalbeerlover
cakennedy

3.83/5  rDev -12.4%

I adore fruit beers, so my opinion may be biased. However, i liked this very cherry beer because it was not too sweet, as other fruit beers can be. However, it almost had that cough syrup thing going on, but it is not quite at that cherry level, it was just delicious. Very smelly of cherries, not too dark in color, just very red. Not too fizzy when poured either.

07-29-2011 19:31:45 | More by cakennedy
nsp73

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

One of my favorite beers.
Every bottle is made with over a pound of cherries and you can tell the moment you open the bottle.
It's a reddish color with a huge foamy head. As you drink you can smell and taste the cherries. Pretty much tastes like your drinking cherry pie.
It leaves a nice lacing as you go down but I feel the head can be a bit obnoxious at times. Especially towards the end because you really do savor and enjoy every sip of this beer. Fantastic.

09-25-2011 23:04:30 | More by nsp73
agroeber

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Perhaps the best dessert beer I've come across. Massive amounts of sweet cherry up front turn to slightly sour notes on the back end. A sublimely pleasant experience - enough to please even the most hardened IPA drinker. It can be tough to work through a full bottle on your own, but don't share with more than 2-3 people, or you'll feel shorted on your share.

12-08-2011 18:56:14 | More by agroeber
ebones

4.61/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle with friends. Nice carbonation and warm cherry color. Nose is of a big red wine full of fruit. Smoooth stuff, Rich, ripe fruit but without the sugary sweetness. Lingers on and on. Don't know if this could be a regular consumption, but I'd like to try!

03-13-2014 02:46:34 | More by ebones
psychorydas

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have been an avid cfraft beer drinker for years...this is my first review on a beer...Im a chef and think my info can help others...please give me feedback, positive and negative. I hope to get beer lovers like me to join me n the tastings!!

Ok so here we go...Recently my best friend went to Wisconson for a wedding and on the way there i gave him about $120.00 to spend on whatever beer he could get me that doesnt ship to the hershey, pa area. New Glarus happened to be the main brewery he got me. I tried a bunch of their others beers, unplugged series, regular brews, etc. So I happened to try this beer yesterday and wow!!!

I have had many fruit beers from top brewers and this one did NOT disappoint..The pour was ambered with that red the already had cherry flavoring in it, not to mention when you pop the cap you get a robust sour, tangy cherry smell.
The taste of the belgian ale is a tart cherry burst waiting for you to sip and then sip again!!

Mouthfeel smashes your mouth with cherry flavor, but not to filling at only 4.0% what really do you expect.

Overall by far the best cherry beer i have had..Easily top 5-10 fruit beers I've had. If you can get your hands on it please give it a try.

07-13-2011 06:24:44 | More by psychorydas
scottk1969

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

A - An impressive red color with a finger of white foam after being poured into a tulip.

S - Heavy cherry aroma.

T - As much cherry there was in the smell, there is tenfold that amount in the flavor. A bit on the sweet side here, but flavorful and very drinkable.

M - Not heavy on the mouth, good carbonation.

O - I was quite impressed with this. It seems more like a dessert than a beer, though.

12-13-2012 16:09:39 | More by scottk1969
fmbrewing

Wisconsin

4.73/5  rDev +8.2%

A perfectly sweet beer to have for desert. Best during the holiday times or when you happen to enjoy other's company. This brew is perfect for sharing with those who love wine to test their beer-boundaries and bring them over from the dark side with beer force. Besides the quality and enjoyment of this high gravity fruity wonder is the overall look of elegance and class with this beer's offering of a champagne style container with dripping red wax covering the neck of the bottle and capped top. And, only available in Wisconsin! My home State now!

04-17-2013 18:38:26 | More by fmbrewing