Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,033 | Reviews: 943
4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

I love this beer! First you have to consider the elegant packaging... the green 750ml bottle, the red wax, even the label is classy. Then you pour... aroma is a blast of fresh pie cherries. And the color, a hazy beautiful dark pink-red complete with a light pink head which fades quickly. Taste is a refreshing, sweet-tart, complex sour, acetic, cherry flavor. Not for amateurs! My friend and girlfriend didn't really care for it and they gave me theirs. She said the tartness and carbonation reminded her of the inside of Zots candy. More for me! Just one drop of this beer is loaded with flavors. Medium body with a medium, brisk, carbonation accentuating the tartness. I look forward to trying it again at the GABF.

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

Thanks to my husband, hopsbreath, who has nurtured an amazing trade relationship with zimmerbloke. In nearly every trade, zimmerbloke is sure to send a Wisconsin Belgian Red and a Rasberry Tart... Just for me ;-)

Appearance: Dark red in color.
Smell: Dark sweet cherries.
Taste: Delicious!!! This really tastes like sweet cherry juice. It is refreshing and not syrupy.
Mouthfeel: Carbonated, refreshing and clean.
Drinkability: A M A Z I N G. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

750 ml wax capped bottle

A: Dark Red/Amber in color. Low carbonation creates a small white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Powerful cherry aroma, no doubt about it. I looked at the label and read over a pound of cherries in each bottle. That sounds about right, just based on the smell.

T: Very strong cherry flavor and on the sweet side. Not too sweet though, balanced pretty well. Unable to detect alcohol tastes.

M: Light and refreshing on the palate, very easy to drink. Probably would have liked more carbonation on this one.

O: A very drinkable and refreshing beer, I wish I had another one of these. I was kind of hoping this beer was going to be a little more tart and sour, since the label indicates the style is a Flanders Red. From that point of view, I'm a little disappointed. However, overall I was impressed by this beer and look forward to trying more from New Glarus.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Bottle at the GABF. I feel so lucky to have tried this beer. Poured a dark red color, with a thick creamy reddish head. Smelled sweet of cherry, tart cherries not sweet ones. Tasted just like cherry pie, not overly sweet and sticky though, just the actual taste of cherry pie. Probably one of the best beers I've ever had, and it makes me sad everyday that Colorado can't get it.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

A- Pours out in a reddish orange color and is slightly opaque . The head almost immediately dissipates.

S- Smells pleasantly of sweet cherry, almost like you would expect smelling maraschino cherries.

T- The second it hits the tongue there is an overwhelming sweet, cherry flavor. However, it is followed up by a noticeable tartness but doesn't become overbearing or too demanding.

M- It has a fizz that works well with the level of sweet flavor, almost like a pop. It doesn't overdo it, though, and goes down fairly easily.

O- This is a fantastic fruit beer, but as others have noticed, it isn't something that you'd want to drink a lot of or super regularly. It is more like a desert than a beer. Nevertheless, it is full of flavor and a wonderful beer.

3.18/5  rDev -27.4%

I suppose fruit beers and lambics just aren't my thing, but I could not help but try this belgian red at the New Glarus Brewery.

Appearance: About as close to red as beer can get, you can see the carbonation bubbles flying towards the top

Smell: Cherries, a whole pound of cherries! You can smell it from a mile away

Taste: Incredibly sour, obviously I know this is a matter of palate, but I just could not handle it.

Mouthfeel: Champagne dry, almost needed a glass of water afterward.

Drinkability: You're not exactly going to drink this down fast, to be served in small doses. Definetely a beer for non-beer people, and the big fruit beer fan's holy grail, just not for me

4.02/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from the waxed 750 mL bottle into a champagne flute.

The beer poured an opaque, rusty brown with a thin, tan-colored head. The head faded very quickly, and left a bit of sticky lacing on the glass. Not a very pretty beer.

The smell was cherries. To be blatantly honest, the smell reminded me of cough syrup, and I had a hard time getting around that.

It was hard to find the carbonation in the mouthfeel, but it didn't feel watery, either. Very light-bodied.

The taste was sweet cherries, like fresh cherry pie filling. There was some tartness to the finish, but the sweet, almost sugary flavor dominated. It was pretty tasty stuff, just very sweet.

This is a beer that I tend to buy more as a novelty than an everyday brew. I pick these up all the time as gifts, or to share, but very rarely get one for myself. I'm not a huge cherry fan, but I do enjoy several glasses of this every time I have it.

I've found it pairs well with good, dark chocolate.

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours pink/red and slightly hazy. Fizzy champagne bubbles. Aroma is amazing. No harsh chemically or plastic aroma. Spicy cherry aroma. Warm inviting cherry flavor, alcohol, spice, aged wood. Dry, warm finish. Lingering tart cherries. Just enough background malt ot make it a beer. #2 New Glaurus fruit beer, just behind the Raspberry Tart.

4.06/5  rDev -7.3%

Thanks to zizzybalubba for this one. Pops good with a bit of bubbles. Smell is cherry candy and all cherry. There is no doubt this is a cherry beer. Thick and full of flavor and pretty sweet. Tates like a kids drink or something like that. Very different beer, but for a fruit beer, this is awesome. I drank the bottle and was wore out doing so. I think the first glass was great, but at 4% I thought I would be able to do this on my own. The last glass was starting to get to me, but the first glass was wonderful.

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Amber red bod reminiscent of a zinfandel with a white head containing a pinkish hue.

A: Quite inviting and reminds me of canned cherry pie filling. This is going to be sweet and tart.

T: Sweetness hits immediately with a pleasant tartness on the follow-through. Reminds me of a Shirley Temple I had as a kid.

M: Medium body; nice carbonation, almost like a slightly flat cherry 7-up.

D: I was expecting to be overwhelmed with an overly sweet cherry bomb explosion in my mouth. But after a few sips, I found myself quite pleased. It's a nice change of pace from the beer world I've grown accustomed to. I think I may explore a few other fruity/sour beers in the future. Thanks to my girlfriend for sharing her bottle.

4.04/5  rDev -7.8%

Served into my New Glarus tasting glass during the tour.

Pours a light red with minimal head.

Smells like a ton of cherries. Lots and lots of cherries.

Taste is very good. Nothing but cherries in my mind. Hard to believe this is actually beer. Almost like kool-aid.

Thicker beer than I had imagined this would be. Carbonation was perfect.

Wouldn't drink more than a few oz's at a time. Too sweet to be considered a session-able beer to me.

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

This is not a normal beer so this is really a difficult review to write...

a: pours a bright red with nice carbonation and good but quickly retreating head. No need to pour this too aggressively. lighter body so lace isn't too sticky. very unique bright color make this a joy to admire.

s: it smells like cherries, perhaps mixed with some cherry-flavored jolly ranchers, cherry-flavored sweet tarts, and a hint of Belgian ale.

t: almost like drinking sparkling fruit juice, extremely sweet and a little tart. no significant taste of hops or even really much taste of "beer" for that matter. this is a truly unique experience... they say right on the bottle that they've applied for a patent on this and you can see why that is. it's almost a whole new genre of beverage.

m: nice Belgian crispness. very bubbly and refreshing. could drink this while laying on the beach.

o: most fruit beers have a tinge of fruit in the beer; but this fruit beer has a tinge of beer in the fruit. it tastes incredibly fresh and just has a "realness" to it. it feels like it was assembled and came together naturally--not just "flavored" with something new and different like so many other "unique" beers. A lot of great beers can't really be appreciated by people that aren't beer connoisseurs but this sweet, crisp, low-ABV, refreshing beverage could be enjoyed by anyone.

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

This is by far the best fruit beer I have tried. Pours red...cherry aroma...high carbonation. The sweetness and carbonation give a great mouthfeel and I love the sour tart finish of the Door County cherries. I can't image getting any more cherry taste in this beer. Good with chocolate too.

3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a great reddish color with a nice fizz and head. Smells like a cherry soda, it's amazing how much cherry aroma this beer has. Taste is all cherry, tart with a sweet mouthfeel. The smell and taste just never give up.

An amazing beer, i just can't understand how they get so much cherry flavor in the beer. But personally it's too sweet for me.

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

Tasted with bross242 and dannosparks.

Appearance - Pours a hazy red color. Does not produce too much head, and the little bit that there is dissapates quickly.

Smell - Wow, this is pleasure to smell. Cherry, cherry, and more cherry. It reminds me of smelling my grandma's cherry pie. Outstanding.

Taste - A bunch of cherry yet again. I am not much for fruit beers, but this is just fantastic. Can I say grandma's cherry pie once again.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability - This is an outstanding beer. The cherry is just fantastic. One of the best beers I have had in awhile. I would highly recommend trading for it!!

4.24/5  rDev -3.2%

Muddy, reddish body with a whispy white head. The aroma is lots of cherries, some sour notes as well. The flavor is moderately sweet, a touch sour, cheeries, vanilla, caramel and a hint of lemons. When the beer is allowed to warm up, a hint of chocolate begins to comes through. Champange mouthfeel, light and lively. Very tasty, but a good one to split with a friend.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

One pound of cherries per bottle? I'm there!

Poured from wax sealed bottle into New Belgium goblet. Pours a clear medium ruby red with about 1/2" foamy pinkish head that settles to a bubble film with some sticky lacing. Aroma is very strong sugary sweet but very tart cherries. Cherry is the only thing I can smell in this beer, but that's ok because I love cherries. The aroma literally makes my mouth water. Taste is intensely rich, sweet and tart cherries. I love it. It's like liquid cherry pie. Medium bodied, high carbonation, feels a little sticky sweet. The sweetness limits the drinkablility just a tad, it's a little cloying, but this beer is so delicious, I can't put the glass down. Couldn't drink this beer very often, but it makes a great treat once and a while.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Closest there is to Lambic Kriek (that I'm aware of). This beer has a very tart cherry taste. It is reddish brownish in color, like a maroon. This is a good sipping beer. You will salivate soon as it hits your tongue. Not exactly something I would reccomend drinking all night long. It comes in a 750ml green bottle with wax covering the cap and upper half of the bottle. It is not corked, but a pry cap.
For my 29th birthday, I had 48 bottles to give out to all my friends, but we could not drink them all. 4 months later... I have a 12 pack left.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up on my way to Darkness day, from Woodman's in WI.

By style:

[L] This one pours a reddish brown into tulip. An unclear beer; with an apple juice hue.

[S] Smells like a Jolly Rancher. Sweet, juicy cherries overwhelm the sense in a very pleasant way.

[T] Taste is enjoyably sweet. With more juicy cherry on the palate. Simply delightful.

[F] Mild feel, with a touch of tartness.

[D] Overall, this one deserves some serious credit. It probably is THE BEST fruit beer I may ever enjoy, as its blown away its predecessors. I would have loved to crack another 750 behind this one, but unfortunately I only picked one up. Not at all artificial, or hard to put down, as I find most fruit beers are.

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Shared a bottle with several fellow BA's and RBer's at a local tasting.

A - Hazy, Redish color with minimal head. Off-white to cream colored thin lacing stayed throughout the sample I drank.

S - Cherry. Very sweet. A malt aroma is present as well and subdues the cherry aroma so that they are finely balanced. Reminded me of a cherry danish.

T - With over a pound of cherries in each bottle you would think it would be cherrilicous, but its actually balanced well and you get malt with the cherries. THere is some tartness to the brew that gives a wonderful aftertaste of esters and sugars.

M - While the bottle we had was not ice cold, it was served at around 55 degrees and warmed rather fast in my goblet. This led to a crisp yet full body to turn to a thick and semi-crisp. The alcohol was still there and gave a slight tingly sensation to the beer.

D - Buy this. Buy a case of it. Ages well and I doubt many people will not like it. I couldn't put this one down. There was sooo much flavor to this beer that I couldn't wait for the next sip to try and figure everything out.

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

750 ml bottle poured into a snifter.
I am not usually a fan of fruit beers, however.... this is something special.

Pours slightly cloudy reddish in color with a thin pinkish head.

The aroma quickly transports you into a cherry orchard on a perfect summer morning.

Flavor is cherry of all varieties; sweet, sour, etc., but also includes the other characteristics found in good Belgian ales.

This was a very balanced beer. My Christmas present came early when I discovered a family member who travels to Wisconsin on a regular basis. We now have a standing order.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

P- wax tops a 25oz bottle.

A- Pours a garnet color with a tan head that dissipates into thin lacing.

S- cherries, kind-of reminds me of grandma's Door County cherry pie.

T- sweet cherries with a well-balanced tartness.

M- medium bodied and refreshing.

D- a great choice served chilled on a warm summer night.

3.75/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not usually my preferred style of beer but this one is good

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

750ml bottle. Appearance: Deep ruby red, clear, with a pinkish khaki frothy head. Aroma: Black cherry dominates, light maltiness Taste: Tart black cherries, giving way to chocolate and toasted malt sweetness. Bitterness only enough to balance. Has a vinous quality. Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with some silliness. Carbonation is high. Finish: A mix on lingering chocolate and cherry. Overall: Top notch fruit beer with a wonderful balance of cherry and chocolate components. Acidity and high carbonation would make this angriest dessert beer.

4.67/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Bright, cloudy red with a hint of apricot mixed in, capped by a beige-pink layer of thick foam. Leaves some fairly heavy lace sheeting on the glass.

Aroma: Fresh, tart cherry pie aroma with a hint of apple.

Texture: Mouth-filling, creamy texture with moderately full body.

Flavor: Cherries, baby - tart, fresh cherries with a pie-like character and a hint of fresh apple cider. Real, all-natural fruit flavours. Ultra-refreshing. Hint of a drying, oaky note in the finish.

Overall Impression: Cherries! Dessert in a glass.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company