Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 958 | Hads: 3,222
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

750...mine poured into a pint glass, my lady's poured into a Mason jar! (Thats all she had for glassware at her place)

A - Beautiful ruby color with a nice finger+ worth of redish white foam on top. Nice retention and lacing on it.

S - Not surprisingly, cherries and some grainy backbone. Smells absolutely delicious.

T - Wow, amazingly good with the cherry the huge star of course. Not real tart either. And the grains add just the right backing to this. Just outstanding.

M - I'd call it light-medium bodied, decent carbonation. Ultra-smooth and drinkable.

O - My girl LOVED this one. She was reluctant to even try it but boy did she rave. Me, I loved it as well. I am NOT a fruit beer guy but this one is just exceptional. I could drink this all summer long

4.23/5  rDev -3%

Picked this up on my way through Wisconsin a few weeks ago. Bottle was shared with the girlfriend to celebrate the 4th.. poured into my tulip.

A: Strong, aggressive pour yields a deep ruby red with a creamy white/red-tinted head. Maybe my pour was a bit too strong because man did that head build fast! I ended up with a bit of an overflowing head over the narrowing top of my tulip glass. The head lasts a few minutes and leaves some small spotty lacing.

S: Wow! Very, very dominating scent of cherries! Usually a strong fruit aroma would steer me away, but man this just amazes me. I can't stop smelling it. I would like a bit more complexity, but the cherry scent is still very intriguing.

T: I expected this to almost be one note considering how much the cherries dominated the scent.. and in a sense it was, but in an enjoyable way. The cherry flavor started off very sweet, but actually finished on a sour note with a slight tartness and maybe some slight Belgian characteristics.

M: Very light and very well carbonated. Little bubbles form across your tongue and make this drink like a champagne.

D: Low in abv and enticing flavor make this a very enjoyable beer and a good choice for a celebratory beer with friends.

4.69/5  rDev +7.6%

Heard many good things about this beer from this website and other reliable sources, so I decided to seek it out during my most recent trip Milwaukee. So glad I did, too!

As stated on the bottle, it was "the marriage of wine and beer." Poured into a tulip glass from the 22 oz. wax capped bottle.

A- Deep red pour, champange bubbles (same yeast?), very hazy

S- CHERRY ORCHARD! Not sweet, syrupy or artificial cherries- very natural, ripe cherries.

T- As expected, cherries galore. An upfront sweetness lingers and dissolves to a tart aftertaste. SO rich, so good.

M- Very unique, and extremely enticing. Though the bubbles make it light on the tongue, there is still plenty of body in this beer with a curiously creamy mouthfeel.

D- The low abv of 4% lends to its high drinkability, as well as how delicious it is. Unfortunately, with its decadent, rich sweetness you'll be limited to drinking only a few small glasses.

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

750 ml bottle picked up from Woodmans Liquor on 12/26/08.

Appearance: The color of fresh transmission fluid. Bright, sparkling red with a slight pink head.

Smell: To me the smell was more fresh cherry Pop-Tarts then beer. Some background bready notes, but was dominated by cherries.

Taste: Expected to have a dominant sweet cherry flavor, but the cherry flavor was more sour than sweet. Kind of like drinking sparkling maraschino cherry juice.

Mouthfeel: Expected a thin body, but ended up being quite filling on the palette. Some lingering on the tongue, but definitely heavier on the palette than I expected.

Overall: Excellent beer, and I was kind of leery of this going into the tasting. Ended up being something that I would maybe by one of on visits to Wisconsin, but this is defintely a dessert beer.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Date Drunk: 1/28/11

Bomber into pint glass

First off, this should be a soda made by Jones. I can't believe something this tasty is a beer. Smell of cherries fills the air the minute you open this bomber. Tart, sour, and sweet taste of cherries is experienced throughout the drinking process. Beer may be too sweet to have more then one bomber, but when the taste wears out, you crave another sip to satisfy the sweet cherry flavor. If only I was drinking this on a beautiful summer day instead of cold ass Chicago winter.

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

I usually don't like fruity beers, but this is in the top 100, so I wanted to try it. I made a trek to Wisconsin this weekend, and it was worth it!. I think most of New Glarus' offerings are overrated...but not this. What a wonderful surprise! It deserves all the praise it gets.

A: Pours a ruby red with a half-inch white head.

S: Cherry Cherry Cherry.

T: I swear they melted down cherry Lifesavers and made a beer out of them!

M: Smooth. Medium body, with many tiny bubbles.

D: Very drinkable. Like champagne with cherry juice stirred in.

Now I may have to try the Raspberry brew!

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Finally got one of these. Friend bought it at a gas station in Wisconsin!?!? That's wisconsin for you.

This is one beer that MUST be reviewed in its class as a fruit beer.

A- pours... well... red and bubbly.

S- Cherry 7up? Yeah. Cherries are present. So not really cherry 7 up because that stuff is fake. This stuff is REAL cherries.

T- It almost is like a healthy fruit drink. Is there alcohol in here? Perfect cherry taste. Not to sweet or tart.

M- Good bit of carbonation

D- I mean its not really like drinking a beer. There is little resemblance of a beer. So very easy to drink but I think I might get sick of it. This is a weird drink, but weird done perfectly.

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%

I've wanted this for a long time. Not disappointed.

A- Dark red-to-brown. Decent inch high head into a flute. Dissipates quickly.

S- Small cherry and biscuit.

T- Most profound cherry flavor balanced with some malt and yeast.

M- A bit heavier than I expected but the body is welcomed. Would be excellent paired with a dessert cheese plate.

D- So drinkable. Sweet but not cloyingly so.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Last purchase before leaving my annual vacation spot...

Pours a burgundy with fizzing carbonation that slowly removes the head until a light lacing around the edge remains.

Smells of, well, lots of cherries. Very sweet, a bit tart; smells like dessert!

Wow, very sweet cherries took me for a bit of a surprise, even after I smelled the sweet aromas. Tart in the back and finish is crisp and tries to balance the taste, but it is still really sweet. Low ABV and complex taste makes this a good starting beer.

I'm glad I tried both of the New Glarus fruit beers (Raspberry Tart). They seem to have a good brew crew over there capable of creating something different while still making it approachable. Both of these beers will be on my list again next year.

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

Supplied by a buddy from Milwaukee via UPS - Thanks, Doug.

Pours a murky cherry red with copious off-white head and a bit of lace. Smells like a big bowl of cherries, I detect no hop or malt aroma at all.

Taste is perfectly fruity, with little in the way of notable malt or hop notes. More like a cider or even a sweet wine. Finish is pinpoint and clean with no cloying or candy sweetness lingering. Mouthfeel is thick and carbonation is pronounced.

This is a perfect after-dinner or dessert drink. I could also see serving this as a wine substitute during a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. This is the best fruit ale I've ever tasted, but it's certainly no session beer.

4.27/5  rDev -2.1%

Figured it was about time to review this one.

I love the color of this one, it pours out a sexy cherry (really!!) with hints of mahogany around the edges. There is a medium amount of head on this one as it doesn't leave much lacing either. A very powerful tart cherry character is present. Taste is pretty much the same; a lot of tart cherries with a slightly sweet finish. This bottle had a very bitter aftertaste, which I don't recall from previous batches. Maybe my palate was off. There's a lot of carbonation to this and it's kind of similar to champagne in mouthfeel. I enjoy the hell out of this one and look forward to drinking plenty of this in the upcoming summer months!

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a fluted glass.

A: Mahogany color with small foamy head that dissipates quickly.
S: Tart cherries. Very similar to the smell of Luden's cherry flavored cough drops.
T: Sweet and tart cherry notes in the beginning, full cherry flavor in the middle and tartness in the ending.
M: Low to medium body with high carbonation.
D: This is pretty darn tasty if you're into cherries. A bit hard to finish the whole bottle, unless you really love cherries. Very good stuff. Try it, at least!

3.92/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Interesting beer, thanks to my trading buddy hu5om for this one!

Very deep cherry smell, pretty much caught all cherry ever since the bottle was opened. Nice red color to it, wasn't quite sure if this was the beer I was looking for tonight, though.

I pretty much got the same taste as I did smell. It was like cherry pie all the way through, with a nice sweet taste to it. Not a fizzy carbonation or anything like that either, just a very fruity beer.

4.69/5  rDev +7.6%

Luckily living in the greater Chicagoland area the New Glarus Brewery is only about a 3 hour trip away, so its' easy to justify a "beer run" for their beers, especially this one. One special note: the pound of cherries is from the famous Door County Penninsula of Wisconsin, where they proudly claim there are "more cherries than people". If you've ever been in Door County you know its' not far from the truth. But the point is that Door County cherries are by themselves an incredible taste treat and a reason why this fruit ale is so special.

A: The appearance is deep reddish brown, quite murky with swirling cascades as the foam rises. Head retention is average with thin lacing as the foam subsides. Very interesting.

S: The aroma from this brew is incredible! Cherries, over a pound of Door County cherries make this olfactory explosion. There is also some toasty, nuttiness the floats through the aroma so one might almost think "cherry turnover". Not sweet but with a tart, crisp tingle to the nostrils.

T: I'm not a big fan of lambics, a little too sweet for my taste, but this fruit ale is the perfect blend of sweet and tart. Cherries galore and more cherries make this a explosion of taste on the palate. I also taste some caramel notes and a little biscuit toastiness. No syrupy sweetness to this finish. It finishes crisp, clean and tart. One of the most unusual and memorable beers I've sampled in some time.

M: Creamy, smooth, tingling the tounge as you roll this complex ale across your palate.

D: I can see having a glass or two of this wonderful complex nectar. Much more so than any lambic I've tasted as it doesn't overwhelm your taste buds with sweetness. The tart finish keeps this fruit ale quite drinkable, but hardly a session beer.

Overall: Give kudos to a small brewery like New Glarus for creating such an unusual taste treat. It rightly deserves a place on BA top 100 list. Even if you're not a fruit beer fan, this one is well worth your time to sample.

4.49/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a large wine glass. Opaque crimson color with white head.

Smell is of sweet cherry pie. I know it sounds weird to be so specific, but that's what it is: cherry pie filling. Delicious.

Flavor is similar to the aroma, cherry pie. However, it's a little more complex, with hints of malt on the front of the palate. The overall effect is of slightly tart cherries, with a hint of breadiness.

Mouthfeel is pretty carbonated, but not harsh. In fact, it's prerry smooth.

Though I couldn't drink a lot of this on one sitting, it's so delicious I wanted to gulp it down, lest it should disappear before I could finish it. A tremendously tasty treat.

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

An absolute cracker...

The appearance of the beer is simply gorgeous. A shade of brownish red, perhaps a mahogany red. Whatever color you would call it, it is beautiful and not far short of perfect. Wonderful smell, with cherries and oakiness, a touch of hoppiness and malt coming through in harmony. The taste is even better. Cherries dancing on the tongue with the smooth oakiness balancing perfectly. A touch of sourness adds some contrast as well with the traditional beer-like tastes of hoppiness and malt delicately coming through towards the end. A long and smooth finish that is about as delicious and drinkable as beer gets. Exquisite.

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

I love this beer, despite it being almost more of a cherry cider than a beer. This beer is all about the cherry, although the base beer must be solid to build the cherry goliath on top of. The cherry aroma, taste, sourness, and sweetness are all there, so intense it borders on medicinal but it is NOT, it's a natural/real cherry taste that is so enjoyable and refreshing. I could guzzle this stuff by the gallon and never tire of it, can't think of a negative except maybe there are more complex beers out there. I wish they made a sour variant of this, but they should never change this beer, it is exceptional on its own and for what it is; a cherry beer.

3.78/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Scarlet red with a foamy, dissipating, pink head.

S: Heavy on cherries, as it should be, but also a distinct barley/grain nose.

T: Tart cherry taste at first with medium carbonation. Extremely faint barley taste, finishes with delicious cherry flavor. Tastes a lot like cherry juice. Quite sweet.

M: Good carbonation, not dry at all either.

D: Too sweet to have more than about two.

Overall: As a native Wisconsinite, New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red is in nearly every grocery store. I've had it before, but this is my first time rating it. The appearance is really great, deep scarlet, almost blood red. The taste is extremely heavy on cherry, but not unpleasant. There are hints, although faint, of barley, and the smell is quite nice as well. Give it a shot for its uniqueness!

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

I love this beer! First you have to consider the elegant packaging... the green 750ml bottle, the red wax, even the label is classy. Then you pour... aroma is a blast of fresh pie cherries. And the color, a hazy beautiful dark pink-red complete with a light pink head which fades quickly. Taste is a refreshing, sweet-tart, complex sour, acetic, cherry flavor. Not for amateurs! My friend and girlfriend didn't really care for it and they gave me theirs. She said the tartness and carbonation reminded her of the inside of Zots candy. More for me! Just one drop of this beer is loaded with flavors. Medium body with a medium, brisk, carbonation accentuating the tartness. I look forward to trying it again at the GABF.

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%

Thanks to my husband, hopsbreath, who has nurtured an amazing trade relationship with zimmerbloke. In nearly every trade, zimmerbloke is sure to send a Wisconsin Belgian Red and a Rasberry Tart... Just for me ;-)

Appearance: Dark red in color.
Smell: Dark sweet cherries.
Taste: Delicious!!! This really tastes like sweet cherry juice. It is refreshing and not syrupy.
Mouthfeel: Carbonated, refreshing and clean.
Drinkability: A M A Z I N G. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

750 ml wax capped bottle

A: Dark Red/Amber in color. Low carbonation creates a small white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Powerful cherry aroma, no doubt about it. I looked at the label and read over a pound of cherries in each bottle. That sounds about right, just based on the smell.

T: Very strong cherry flavor and on the sweet side. Not too sweet though, balanced pretty well. Unable to detect alcohol tastes.

M: Light and refreshing on the palate, very easy to drink. Probably would have liked more carbonation on this one.

O: A very drinkable and refreshing beer, I wish I had another one of these. I was kind of hoping this beer was going to be a little more tart and sour, since the label indicates the style is a Flanders Red. From that point of view, I'm a little disappointed. However, overall I was impressed by this beer and look forward to trying more from New Glarus.

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Bottle at the GABF. I feel so lucky to have tried this beer. Poured a dark red color, with a thick creamy reddish head. Smelled sweet of cherry, tart cherries not sweet ones. Tasted just like cherry pie, not overly sweet and sticky though, just the actual taste of cherry pie. Probably one of the best beers I've ever had, and it makes me sad everyday that Colorado can't get it.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A- Pours out in a reddish orange color and is slightly opaque . The head almost immediately dissipates.

S- Smells pleasantly of sweet cherry, almost like you would expect smelling maraschino cherries.

T- The second it hits the tongue there is an overwhelming sweet, cherry flavor. However, it is followed up by a noticeable tartness but doesn't become overbearing or too demanding.

M- It has a fizz that works well with the level of sweet flavor, almost like a pop. It doesn't overdo it, though, and goes down fairly easily.

O- This is a fantastic fruit beer, but as others have noticed, it isn't something that you'd want to drink a lot of or super regularly. It is more like a desert than a beer. Nevertheless, it is full of flavor and a wonderful beer.

3.18/5  rDev -27.1%

I suppose fruit beers and lambics just aren't my thing, but I could not help but try this belgian red at the New Glarus Brewery.

Appearance: About as close to red as beer can get, you can see the carbonation bubbles flying towards the top

Smell: Cherries, a whole pound of cherries! You can smell it from a mile away

Taste: Incredibly sour, obviously I know this is a matter of palate, but I just could not handle it.

Mouthfeel: Champagne dry, almost needed a glass of water afterward.

Drinkability: You're not exactly going to drink this down fast, to be served in small doses. Definetely a beer for non-beer people, and the big fruit beer fan's holy grail, just not for me

4.02/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from the waxed 750 mL bottle into a champagne flute.

The beer poured an opaque, rusty brown with a thin, tan-colored head. The head faded very quickly, and left a bit of sticky lacing on the glass. Not a very pretty beer.

The smell was cherries. To be blatantly honest, the smell reminded me of cough syrup, and I had a hard time getting around that.

It was hard to find the carbonation in the mouthfeel, but it didn't feel watery, either. Very light-bodied.

The taste was sweet cherries, like fresh cherry pie filling. There was some tartness to the finish, but the sweet, almost sugary flavor dominated. It was pretty tasty stuff, just very sweet.

This is a beer that I tend to buy more as a novelty than an everyday brew. I pick these up all the time as gifts, or to share, but very rarely get one for myself. I'm not a huge cherry fan, but I do enjoy several glasses of this every time I have it.

I've found it pairs well with good, dark chocolate.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company