Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,036
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros

4.48/5  rDev +2.3%

Shared this with the neighbors, and only managed about a four ounce pour. Wish I could have had more than that! It tasted like cough syrup, but in the best way possible. Like a bunch of those really good Luden's cough drops melted down in beer form. Mouthfeel was ok, but smell and taste were borderline perfection. WIll have to try this beer again (and not share next time!)

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Had this several times and enjoyed as a change of pace. Here's a review from a fresh bottle.
A-cloudy. Looks like rusty water. A weak tan head that quickly breaks down. Tons of lively carbonation
S-cherries and lots of them!
T-again lots of tart cherries. A bit sour and puckering. A nice balance of sweetness and sourness and of course cherry flavor.
M- lots of carbonation, light refreshing body. Slightly puckering at the end
O-amazing amount of fruitiness. Hard to believe there isnt cherry flavor added but with a pound of Cherries in every bottle I guess that is the ticket. A wonderfully unique delicious beer

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

A buddy of mine brought back 3 bottles for me after his last trip to WI. Split 3 ways with him and another friend. Poured into a red wine glass...

A - Pours a gorgeous, shiny ruby red color with no real head whatsoever. At times, with no light hitting it, it appears slightly brownish. Slight agitation produces a miniute fzz, but no head to speak of.

S - Sweet cherries and some slight spice to it as well. No malt or hop presence is noticeable. Most cherry aroma I've ever gotten from a brew.

T - Sour, sweet but not cloying in any way, slight spice. Like drinking a cherry pie; absolutely delicious and unlike any cherry beer I have ever had before.

M - Light body with mild carbination. Great crispness with a nice tart finish.

D - I could easily drink several of these. Not too sweet like I thought it would be and quite a nice refreshing beer to have. Would go great with desserts.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Friends from Milwaukee brought this to us during a recent visit. Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a small chalice, this ale pours a slightly opaque ruddy rouge, with minimal creme colored head that reduces to a ring clinging around the edge of the glass.

Has a sweet cherry aroma, with honey, strawberry, and grape. Almost smells like a melted cherry popsicle or cherry creme soda, the aroma is so sweet, clean and fruity.

A strong, almost overpowering cherry taste greets you, with spritzes of sweet underlaid with plenty of tart. Lemon, vanilla, raspberry and mild malt combine for a very fruit brew.

Tart, almost to the point of an involuntary pucker of the mouth, this ale leaves the tongue and gums tingling.

This "beer" is so tart and fruity, it's more fermented fruit juice than it is beer. The tart and sweet are so strong that they are almost too much; I have to sip this slowly to avoid pucker face as I drink this. While I'm sure this is a really good fruit beer for those who live fruit beers, this is just a little much for me.

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Wow, my 500th review. About 2 years ago I would have never guessed that I would ever try this many beers in my entire life. Oh well, here's to even more beer! I am forever in debt to Kevin (kmpitz2) for sharing this brew with me. 750mL bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a slightly hazy medium burgundy color with two fingers of slightly pink head. There is a good deal of lacing left on the glass. The smell is very very strong, with me getting my first whiff with the glass about 5 feet from my nose. Strong notes of maraschino cherry juice (one of my faves) and just a slight bit of sourness. Amazing. The taste is full of cherry as well, and just a bit of tart flavors going on. It's very sweet as well. I enjoy it, but not nearly as much as the aroma. The mouthfeel is decently strong and smooth for a fruit beer. The drinkability is superb. I could surely drink a few bottles easily. A remarkable drink, a wierd beer.

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a tulip glass. Appears a nice red color that is somewhat hazy, and has hints of orange as well as pink. Has a nice light pink head head. The head is more off-white than pink, but definitely has pink notes in it. Leaves good lacing, very bubbly.

Nose is very sweet. The cherry is all up front, with a nice light, sweet malt backing. Not much else in the nose, but very inviting. Taste is fairly sweet up front, but very quickly becomes tart and stings the tongue. The cherry comes through very nicely, and the sweet malts are only noticeable right at the beginning before the tartness sets in.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly creamy but still with a bite on the tip of the tongue. Overall, a great beer. The fruitiness is something different, but the cherries come through in a great way. The tartness finishes off each sip perfectly. Couldn't be much better.

3.98/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this as part of his haul while heading with a group of us to Wisconsin.

The appearance is a nice blood red color with the slightest of pinks adorning the head on the surface. Despite the cherries on the label the initial aroma that I gathered was of raspberries, and fresh ones at that. Accompanying the aroma is the sweet smell of cherry syrup. Now in describing the taste, there is basically a red fruit salad before me. Cherries, Raspberries, and hints of Strawberry to boot. The best part about the flavor of this beer in my opinion is that I actually can taste some beer maltiness behind it. That's really a pleasant surprise for me as far as the flavors are concerned. The mouthfeel is a tad too sweet for me to drink too much of but it's really a very solid fruit beer. One I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for said genre of brew.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm currently licking my lips mid-glass, and tasting the beer on them. Opened this in honor of Halloween, and a Packers / Jets game. Shared it with my girlfriend and my roommate.

The appearance is maybe where I can find some fault, but honestly that might just be looking to nitpick. It appears thick and bit heady, great sustaining head. The smell just fills the nose with cherries and floral notes. Sweet. Tart. Cherries up front, puckery in the middle. Clean finish. Lovely.

Taste does a fruit beer as well as I've ever had. It's medium bodied, carbonated, feels thick. Extremely drinkable. I could have this all day.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%