Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,044
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a dark red with a small pink head on top. Just a vibrant, lovely color here. As I swirl my glass I get some good stringy lacing on the sides. Whoa! My first sniff brings huge fresh, ripe raspberries...like a fresh made jam from fruit just picked from the garden. A hint of wheaty maltiness is hiding in the background along with a touch of spiciness.

First sip is a wash of sweet/sour raspberry goodness. The pale/wheaty malt background gives it a bit more of a beer feel to it. However..this is all about the huge raspberry flavor..fruit beer on steroids. A slight mellow spiciness on the back of the palate rounds it out. Quite acidic overall and slightly puckering. Raspberry beer is quite yummy.

There is a good medium body that has a syrupy consistency to it. Goes down smoothly. An interesting beer for sure. Not one I could see myself drinking much of...but a good change of pace. I can see how this could be a love it or hate it affair. I'd say it's definetly worth seeking out...especially if you're a fan of fruit beers. Cheers to New Glarus and I'm glad I have another 750.

orbitalr0x, May 08, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Bottle received in a trade recently.

Pours a gorgeous dark red color, with a one inch head, and no lacing.

Smells just outstanding, big bouquet of raspberries, some slight tartness, and just the tiniest bit of oak.

This has to be the most authentic fruit flavor I've ever gotten in a beer. This one is intensely sweet, cut by by a slight, but very welcoming tartness, some oak, etc. I get both raspberries and raspberry juice. With the lower ABV, there is no alcohol feeling whatsoever. It's almost wine-like, and barely feels like beer. No malt flavor that I can detect, just a huge expression of my favorite fruit.

This one is light bodied, with a slightly-higher-than-I'd like amount of carbonation. It's got a fizzy, crisp mouthfeel.

An outstanding achievement here. It's barely beer, but it tastes so good that I don't care.

GreesyFizeek, Oct 20, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -36.9%

After reading all of the reviews, I was expecting amazingness. This beer just didn't do it for me. It was so incredibly sweet, and not in a good way.... it burned the back of my throat. There was absolutely nothing to balance out the sweetness either.... this was as sweet as Sunny Delight, and I can't stand Sunny Delight.

Jsmick, Oct 06, 2014