Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 889 | Hads: 3,390

A truely amazing accomplishment. This fanatastic beverage pours a wonderful dark raspberry color. The head is off-white with raspberry tints. The smell leaves absolutely no doubt to the contents of this extremely delightful brew. The taste is complex, yet at the same time simple-it is RASPBERRY! This is a beer to be searched out and savored. There is no room for improvement (except perhaps larger bottles). This is the standard to which all others will strive. A wonderful drink for any occasion (but be sure to save a bottle or two for the holidays). Enjoy! (561 characters)

Delicious! Everything you could want in a sour fruit lambic style beer. This is probably the best lambic I've ever had, and it's not even from Belgium! Another great feature is that it's very likable by non-beer-drinkers. Will probably serve some of this at my wedding. (269 characters)

Look:A beautiful deep ruby red with a thin rose colored head. Lots of legs in this active beer. One of the prettiest beers I've seen.

Smell: An immediate a aggressive fresh berry nose shines over a nice tart fresh framboise body with some wheat barely there and a slight farmhouse funk finish of more fresh berries. Smells fantastic and fresh!

Taste: Bright and fresh framboise hits the tongue then a beautiful refreshing fresh picked raspberry notes sparkle on and coat the palate. Like fresh pie filling with a framboise body. Outstanding.

Mouthfeel: The body is wet and quenching but the flavors pop and sparkle with fresh crispness. The finish is extra dry and leaves the berry notes on the palate.

Overall: I am blow away by this brew. I've traveled with it for about a month and there is no telling how old it is but it taste so fresh and bright. The framboise body alone would be a world class beer but the fresh berry notes push it to legendary. Bright, fresh, delicate, and artfully brewed. I would feel bad drinking this every night because it's so good it demands to be consumed after a world class meal or something of that caliber. This beer is outstanding and is well worth the pain of getting it (trust me I had some pains getting it). Get your hands on this beer (1,287 characters)

Pours a nice big head (fills the flute and almost goes flows over) that doesn't go away and leaves a rock solid lacing. The color is a beautiful clear dark red/purplish color. The smell is just like a fresh raspberry bush-only better! Really good smell of sweet/tart raspberries that balance perfectly! The taste is a burst of great flavor and it doesn't have the base feel that is malty, I can sense it's still there, but I have to look. The mouthfeel is smooth, smooth and there's nothing offensive about it. Overall I wish every single bottle of Raspberry Tart was this good, I just had to re-review it it was sooo good. (623 characters)

Stored colder than my beer fridge and poured into champagne flutes. Effervescent with a thick head that dissipates quickly. Great lacing and slight head retention. Clear, but dark red. Not that it needs mentioning, but fruity aromas and sweet, light crisp taste with a tart finish. An easy drinker and pairs perfectly with brunch! Will definitely revisit this classic. (377 characters)

Murky raspberry red/brown colored body. Head is very creamy and has good retention until eventually settling to a smal pink layer on top of the beer. Smell is pure raspberry, with a little bready wheat to smooth it out. Very sweet smelling and tasting. Very tart tasting, a swirl of sweet, ripe raspberries, followed by a little hoppiness to finish the experience. Magnificent dessert beer, I can not think of a better Fruit/Vegetable beer. Perfection in a bottle. (464 characters)

This is a treat.. If we're going directly based on the fruit beer category, this one takes one of the top 3 prizes.
Pours a vibrant dark burgundy with a pink/tan cross head.
The smell of fresh raspberries permeates from the bottles as it pours into the glass.
The taste matches the smell scent for sip. Sweet, fresh fruit. Tart, then sweet again.
A low alcohol beer, but one to appreciate because of the pure artisanship that goes into each bottle.
Magnificent. (462 characters)

Drank from a 1 Pint 9 Fl. Oz. bottle
2007 vintage
Acquired in a trade with Beertracker
Served in a champagne flute

Poured a deep burgundy color with a one-finger, light mauve head that faded to a thick ring of lace. Spider webbing blankets of lacing coated the glass. Spectacular.

The aroma was simple yet beautiful (I do not often use the word "beautiful" when describing beer, but in this case it is most appropriate). The bottle eloquently states, "the voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch the glass." I can attest to this claim. Raspberries, raspberries and more raspberries. Fresh, pureed raspberries, with a hint of sweetness. Pure and simple. A freshly baked raspberry pie or a quality raspberry jam may be a good descriptor as well.

The taste was as good, if not better than the aroma. Raspberries really do take center stage in this beer and boy, do they ever do it well. Once again, it is pure raspberry from start to finish. Semi-sweet up front and through the center. Slightly sour on the back end with a sweet-tart finish, and a long-lasting, candy-like (yet not at all cloying) aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was simply astounding. The initial fine, prickly carbonation soon settled on my palate, becoming ultra creamy and smooth. Ridiculously frothy and supple, like a cloud on my tongue.

Drinkability was off the charts. If there ever was a more refreshing beer, I have yet to taste it. While some may knock this beer on its sweetness (even though it is spontaneously fermented, it definitely is not a lambic) as well as its perceived "chick appeal," it would be difficult for me to believe that the naysayers do not secretly love this stuff.

Even though this is listed as a "fruit/vegetable beer," it really defines categorization. The raspberries are so prevalent in this beer that it indeed does not taste like beer it all.

Is this my favorite beer in the world? No. Can I find any fault with it? No. In my eyes, a fruit beer simply cannot get any better than this. (2,023 characters)

This has always been one of my favorite beers. It is wonderful! It is always consistent. Lovely color, aroma and taste. When we go to the GABF, it is the first line we get in. We get our sample, and go right back to the end of the line and get another. (252 characters)

A - As the geniuses behind New Glarus states on the glass... Pour in a flute and enjoy the sparkle. I think for New Years instead of popping champagne I'll pop open this beauty. Pink/ Red color with lingering off-white head.
S - Fantastic, fruity, fizzy berry aroma.
M - Perfectly carbonated but does not overwhelm sinuses with bubbles. Oak adds a silky component that is often imitated in framboises, geuzes, flanders, but this brew has it perfected.
T - Liquid perfection, the appearance and smell come through with a sip or a gulp.
O - Usually buy as many as I can when the opportunity presents itself. Also, New Glarus may be the best run business/brewery on their scale... even though they are in the land of Packer nation... everything from their outside area, copper kettles, sanitation. A place for other breweries to learn from for sure. (846 characters)

Poured from a 28oz bottle into a sierra Nevada Tulip glass:

Appearance: Reddish brown, but a deep red, like a dark cherry.

Aroma: Tart red fruit aroma, cherries, apple skin and dark berries. fresh ripe raspberries deffinetly come to mind, but thats obvious I suppose. it's really amazing tho, it smells like I'm standing in a raspberry packaging plant.

Flavor: Smooth tartness up front, with some fruity sweetness and a little tiny bit of some some bread flavors (like flour). Again, it tastes like fresh raspberries and i just cant wrap my head around how they can possibly do this... amazing.

Mouthfeel: carbonation is high, but the maltiness hides some of if, so it tastes medium to almost full bodied, but not cloying.

Overall: This is about the 5th time that i've had the pleasure to enjoy a glass of Raspberry Tart. And quite frankly, the experience hasn't changed, it's an truly amazing beer, its perfectly balanced and one of the first world class beers i've ever had. It's fresh raspberry aroma and taste are insanely balanced and it's awesome to think that a beer can contain flavors like this. One of my favorite beers of all time. New Glarus knows how to do their fruit beers and they know how to do them well.. (1,228 characters)

Appearance: Ruddy brick red. Very slightly hazed, but relatively clear after the chill drops. Head is bubbly and a thin ring remains. Head is a bright pink. Carbonation runs to the high side. Damn if it doesn't look pretty.

Smell: Tons of raspberry flesh and juice. Faintly tart. Almost borders on cranberry with the tartness. Sweet with a nice edge of plump juicy raspberry. So much fruit it's insane.

Taste: Straight up raspberries. Juice and flesh and then some, plus some. Slightly tart, but so distinctly raspberry that it's hard to find anything else. So borderline not beer there's not much else to say. Raspberry jam. Citric bite is lovely.

Mouthfeel: Moderately full. The high carbonation spreads the love around and makes it drink like a super juicy raspberry champagne at times. Dry on the finish.

Overall: This is the standard by which all other fruit beers are measured. There's so much raspberry it's impossible to imagine how they get it all in there. The slight tartness pushes it over the edge and gives it enough depth that you know it's not just fruit juice. Truly legendary. (1,098 characters)

Originally had this at a tasting and it was my favorite beer of the day then had it on tap.

Appearance: Pours a red/pink color with a film of a white head. Just looks like a fruit beer.

Smell: Smells of straight up sweet raspberries and minimal tartness. So inviting.

Taste - Amazing raspberry flavor. A little tart. Not too sweet. Not too syrupy. Just perfect.

Mouthfeel: Nice mouthfeel.

Overall: One of the best fruit beers I've ever had. Just right. If I traded, this, Serendipity and Wisconsin Belgian Red would be on my permanent ISO list. I could drink this every day. (583 characters)

Aroma of fresh Raspberry and and ale, consisting mainly of sweet fruit and malt characters, surprisingly, not to sweet as the nose makes you think it will be.the fruit really shine in the aroma and in the mouthful.
the taste was not overly dry. Light bodied, not over carbonated, finishes was a little sweeter then tartness.

Overall a must try beer (349 characters)

This is a really enjoyable fruit beer. The flavor is fresh raspberry, not syrup or sugar. Fresh. There is some tart flavor, which balances very well with sweet.

This beer is crisp, and clean. So easy drinking the bottle was gone leaving me smelling the glass after. Perfect for dessert, or just a beer to finish this day with. (328 characters)

Thanks to Tim and Mary Anderson for their help in getting this.

This beer pours a dark red cranberry color with amazing clarity and a pink foamy head.
Smells a bold waft of natural raspberry just as the label suggests.
Tasets as it smells with mild raspberry tartness, very impressive "natrual" raspberry fruit character. More tart than sweet, but far from sour. This beer was an awesome surprise, thanks to Don Lowman "digita7693" for sharing.

On a side note, my wife and I make pretty killer homebrew *similiar* to this which previous to this we thought was amazing. My wife tasted one sip of Raspberry Tart and said... this blows the homebrew version away (and the homebrew is pretty killer). I only wish I could get more Raspberry Tart, and on a regular basis.

This brew is as drinkable as it can get for this style. Reminds me of a very clear, semi tart, not overly pseudo lambic spin off. cherish this one if you get to sample it. (939 characters)

This was nothing short of amazing.

It poured a ruddy reddish-amber with great foam. The aroma just pops with a fresh berry punch. It’s the same on the palate, tart and crisp and wildly vibrant. Pucker up and enjoy it. A real treat for this reviewer. (252 characters)

#100 Honestly, I didn't know how this review would turn out. I've enjoyed this beer many times in the past and thought I knew it's story, but, as Chris Berman would say...."That's why they play the game." So let's cut the schuck and jive and get on with the review...

Deep purple color with an equally purple foam rising up in the glass. Very tart,ripe raspberries emerge from the foam and fill the room, you can smell the seeds,pulp, everything raspberry. The brew has a very drinkable full body that balances sweetness and tartness with a solid ale base. It starts fresh, sweet and tart raspberries with a great toasty/caramelly finish. You actually feel like you need to remove the seeds from your teeth, it's that fruity, but it also has a better ale base than it's popular sister brew "Belgian Red". Just as Wisconsin cherry growers have a friend in the Cary's, Oregon raspberry growers are getting much out of this relationship. I didn't know if I would ever give out a perfect "5" but would know the beer if I ever drank it....I just drank it!

If curious check out my Young's Double chocolate for a blended review. (1,127 characters)

If you like Founders Rübæus even a little then you will love this beer. Raspberries, raspberries, and more raspberries. Slightly tart - don't expect a sour beer - but not too sweet either. Simply delicious. (208 characters)

I had this one years back, when I visited the New Glarus Brewery. Unfortunately, back then I wasn't that big into craft beer (or beer itself), so I didn't know what I was drinking. Even so, I knew that this was good stuff. Recently I've been much more diligent in drinking everything that NG puts out, so I was anxious to give this one a shot again, as it was my intro to New Glarus. I wasn't disappointed.

I'm gonna keep this one short and sweet. If you liked Serendipity or Strawberry Rhubarb, you'll love this. As the name describes, this is a very raspberry taste, with lots of sweetness and a deliciously tart finish. Has just enough carbonation to give it an effervescent feel; just awesome. (698 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Now lets talk a little bit about this one for a minute. I have been wanting to try this forever, and I just recently received not one, but two bottles of this brew. I really did not know what to expect going into it, but have heard it is simply outstanding. So needless to say the red wax coated 750 beckoned me from the start and I popped one open last night. Poured a very nice raspberry colored red with a small pink colored head and very nice carbonation visible throughout the session. The smell was rich with raspberry essence. Extremely strong so that nothing else could possibly come through. Now the flavor was to die for. I have never been the biggest fan of fruit beers in general, but this has just come to a whole new level. So sweet yet tart and sour at the same time, the flavor was so strong, yet not overpowering and not too sweet as to make you sick, it was in a word, perfect. It had the most perfect taste for this style I could have ever imagined. A great light body and great carbonation made it feel like water and there was just no hint of any kind of alcohol in this. This was by far one of the best brews I have ever had. I was raving mad about this all night long and easily killed the bottle myself. I just did not think anything could taste this good, this was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on as much as I could, I have to give it up here. This is one of the best drinks I have ever had, hands down, just wonderful. I would have to recommend this to everyone, go and get some! (1,516 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured this into champagne flutes last night for an extended evening of food and company. We began with cheese, moved onto brisket and finished with a sponge cake.

The New Glarus came with every step of the way and made everything better.

Appearance: Beautiful reddish color, somewhat cloudy. Small head in the flute. Great bubbly action.

Smell: Oooh. Raspberries! From the very first, you can't miss them. There isn't much of a smell of alcohol though, so one will not confuse the appearnace and smell with, say, a raspberry champagne cocktail.

Taste: Up front, more raspberry. But there is a balance and the finish is unmistakenly beer.

Mouthfeel: Clean, crisp and very easy to drink. Way too easy.

Overall: Outstanding with every food we had last night. (762 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Thanks portia99 for hooking me up with this in my first trade!

A - Dark cherry color with a nice pink head on top. Yum.

S - Wow. Sweet raspberry smell. This smells delicious.

T - Wow again. I tend to be underwhelmed when I try beers that have been hyped up and are only available in a small area but this beer is phenomenal. Nice sweet raspberry taste up front with a little tartness at the end. The finish on this beer is what really makes it. Sweetness at the front but it is around only for a second before a nice tartness shows up. Reminds me of fresh raspberries. Once again Wow.

M - Medium body with a slightly syrupy quality and a nice amount of carbonation.

D - I could drink this all day. I'm blown away by this beer. The mix of sweetness and a hint of tart is amazing. I think I'm in love! (847 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours from a champagne bottle into a wide mouth glass. A pinkish red color with a medium pinkish white head. A tiny bit frothy in the head; good carbonation in this beer! The smell is clearly raspberry; the flavour as well. This taste slightly sweet and goes down well. (269 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

For my 500th review (Woo Hoo!), I figured I would do something special. Thanks go out to nflmvp for this one.

Comes in a 1pint 9oz bottle with the cap dipped in red wax and oozing down the side of the bottle. The bottle literature proclaims this a "rare delight". We shall see.

Pours into a pint glass a murky cranberry color with a nice, fizzy, soda like head that is more of a strawberry color.

The bouquet on this is unbelievable. Tons and tons of raspberries. Possibly even some strawberry and sour cherry tossed into the mix. Basically, any red fruit, with the full emphasis on raspberry. I have never smelled something so pungent and tart and delicious.

The flavor is unbelievable as well. Perfrect amount of tartness from the raspberries with just the right amount of sweetness to balance things out.

I honestly could drink this all day every day and I would find it impossible for anyone not to like this. ABV is nonexistent. This is truly a beer to behold. Thanks again nflmvp and glad this was number 500! (1,022 characters)

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company