Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Raspberry Tart | New Glarus Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

Added by xlperro on 04-21-2002

Reviews: 917 | Ratings: 3,651

This has always been one of my favorite beers. It is wonderful! It is always consistent. Lovely color, aroma and taste. When we go to the GABF, it is the first line we get in. We get our sample, and go right back to the end of the line and get another.

A - As the geniuses behind New Glarus states on the glass... Pour in a flute and enjoy the sparkle. I think for New Years instead of popping champagne I'll pop open this beauty. Pink/ Red color with lingering off-white head.
S - Fantastic, fruity, fizzy berry aroma.
M - Perfectly carbonated but does not overwhelm sinuses with bubbles. Oak adds a silky component that is often imitated in framboises, geuzes, flanders, but this brew has it perfected.
T - Liquid perfection, the appearance and smell come through with a sip or a gulp.
O - Usually buy as many as I can when the opportunity presents itself. Also, New Glarus may be the best run business/brewery on their scale... even though they are in the land of Packer nation... everything from their outside area, copper kettles, sanitation. A place for other breweries to learn from for sure.

Poured from a 28oz bottle into a sierra Nevada Tulip glass:

Appearance: Reddish brown, but a deep red, like a dark cherry.

Aroma: Tart red fruit aroma, cherries, apple skin and dark berries. fresh ripe raspberries deffinetly come to mind, but thats obvious I suppose. it's really amazing tho, it smells like I'm standing in a raspberry packaging plant.

Flavor: Smooth tartness up front, with some fruity sweetness and a little tiny bit of some some bread flavors (like flour). Again, it tastes like fresh raspberries and i just cant wrap my head around how they can possibly do this... amazing.

Mouthfeel: carbonation is high, but the maltiness hides some of if, so it tastes medium to almost full bodied, but not cloying.

Overall: This is about the 5th time that i've had the pleasure to enjoy a glass of Raspberry Tart. And quite frankly, the experience hasn't changed, it's an truly amazing beer, its perfectly balanced and one of the first world class beers i've ever had. It's fresh raspberry aroma and taste are insanely balanced and it's awesome to think that a beer can contain flavors like this. One of my favorite beers of all time. New Glarus knows how to do their fruit beers and they know how to do them well..

Appearance: Ruddy brick red. Very slightly hazed, but relatively clear after the chill drops. Head is bubbly and a thin ring remains. Head is a bright pink. Carbonation runs to the high side. Damn if it doesn't look pretty.

Smell: Tons of raspberry flesh and juice. Faintly tart. Almost borders on cranberry with the tartness. Sweet with a nice edge of plump juicy raspberry. So much fruit it's insane.

Taste: Straight up raspberries. Juice and flesh and then some, plus some. Slightly tart, but so distinctly raspberry that it's hard to find anything else. So borderline not beer there's not much else to say. Raspberry jam. Citric bite is lovely.

Mouthfeel: Moderately full. The high carbonation spreads the love around and makes it drink like a super juicy raspberry champagne at times. Dry on the finish.

Overall: This is the standard by which all other fruit beers are measured. There's so much raspberry it's impossible to imagine how they get it all in there. The slight tartness pushes it over the edge and gives it enough depth that you know it's not just fruit juice. Truly legendary.

Originally had this at a tasting and it was my favorite beer of the day then had it on tap.

Appearance: Pours a red/pink color with a film of a white head. Just looks like a fruit beer.

Smell: Smells of straight up sweet raspberries and minimal tartness. So inviting.

Taste - Amazing raspberry flavor. A little tart. Not too sweet. Not too syrupy. Just perfect.

Mouthfeel: Nice mouthfeel.

Overall: One of the best fruit beers I've ever had. Just right. If I traded, this, Serendipity and Wisconsin Belgian Red would be on my permanent ISO list. I could drink this every day.

Aroma of fresh Raspberry and and ale, consisting mainly of sweet fruit and malt characters, surprisingly, not to sweet as the nose makes you think it will be.the fruit really shine in the aroma and in the mouthful.
the taste was not overly dry. Light bodied, not over carbonated, finishes was a little sweeter then tartness.

Overall a must try beer

This is a really enjoyable fruit beer. The flavor is fresh raspberry, not syrup or sugar. Fresh. There is some tart flavor, which balances very well with sweet.

This beer is crisp, and clean. So easy drinking the bottle was gone leaving me smelling the glass after. Perfect for dessert, or just a beer to finish this day with.

Thanks to Tim and Mary Anderson for their help in getting this.

This beer pours a dark red cranberry color with amazing clarity and a pink foamy head.
Smells a bold waft of natural raspberry just as the label suggests.
Tasets as it smells with mild raspberry tartness, very impressive "natrual" raspberry fruit character. More tart than sweet, but far from sour. This beer was an awesome surprise, thanks to Don Lowman "digita7693" for sharing.

On a side note, my wife and I make pretty killer homebrew *similiar* to this which previous to this we thought was amazing. My wife tasted one sip of Raspberry Tart and said... this blows the homebrew version away (and the homebrew is pretty killer). I only wish I could get more Raspberry Tart, and on a regular basis.

This brew is as drinkable as it can get for this style. Reminds me of a very clear, semi tart, not overly pseudo lambic spin off. cherish this one if you get to sample it.

This was nothing short of amazing.

It poured a ruddy reddish-amber with great foam. The aroma just pops with a fresh berry punch. It’s the same on the palate, tart and crisp and wildly vibrant. Pucker up and enjoy it. A real treat for this reviewer.

#100 Honestly, I didn't know how this review would turn out. I've enjoyed this beer many times in the past and thought I knew it's story, but, as Chris Berman would say...."That's why they play the game." So let's cut the schuck and jive and get on with the review...

Deep purple color with an equally purple foam rising up in the glass. Very tart,ripe raspberries emerge from the foam and fill the room, you can smell the seeds,pulp, everything raspberry. The brew has a very drinkable full body that balances sweetness and tartness with a solid ale base. It starts fresh, sweet and tart raspberries with a great toasty/caramelly finish. You actually feel like you need to remove the seeds from your teeth, it's that fruity, but it also has a better ale base than it's popular sister brew "Belgian Red". Just as Wisconsin cherry growers have a friend in the Cary's, Oregon raspberry growers are getting much out of this relationship. I didn't know if I would ever give out a perfect "5" but would know the beer if I ever drank it....I just drank it!

If curious check out my Young's Double chocolate for a blended review.

750ml Bottle.

Appearance - Dark burgundy .

Smell - Raspberry Jam. Holy shit! Incredible!

Taste - Like fresh raspberry preserve. Very sweet. Slight tartness. Super delicious. Seriously mid blowing!!

Feel - Perfect carbonation. Low attenuation. Thick and chewy. WOW!!!

Overall - One of the very best beer I've ever had. Highly recommended!

Grade (A+)

If you like Founders Rübæus even a little then you will love this beer. Raspberries, raspberries, and more raspberries. Slightly tart - don't expect a sour beer - but not too sweet either. Simply delicious.

I had this one years back, when I visited the New Glarus Brewery. Unfortunately, back then I wasn't that big into craft beer (or beer itself), so I didn't know what I was drinking. Even so, I knew that this was good stuff. Recently I've been much more diligent in drinking everything that NG puts out, so I was anxious to give this one a shot again, as it was my intro to New Glarus. I wasn't disappointed.

I'm gonna keep this one short and sweet. If you liked Serendipity or Strawberry Rhubarb, you'll love this. As the name describes, this is a very raspberry taste, with lots of sweetness and a deliciously tart finish. Has just enough carbonation to give it an effervescent feel; just awesome.

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Now lets talk a little bit about this one for a minute. I have been wanting to try this forever, and I just recently received not one, but two bottles of this brew. I really did not know what to expect going into it, but have heard it is simply outstanding. So needless to say the red wax coated 750 beckoned me from the start and I popped one open last night. Poured a very nice raspberry colored red with a small pink colored head and very nice carbonation visible throughout the session. The smell was rich with raspberry essence. Extremely strong so that nothing else could possibly come through. Now the flavor was to die for. I have never been the biggest fan of fruit beers in general, but this has just come to a whole new level. So sweet yet tart and sour at the same time, the flavor was so strong, yet not overpowering and not too sweet as to make you sick, it was in a word, perfect. It had the most perfect taste for this style I could have ever imagined. A great light body and great carbonation made it feel like water and there was just no hint of any kind of alcohol in this. This was by far one of the best brews I have ever had. I was raving mad about this all night long and easily killed the bottle myself. I just did not think anything could taste this good, this was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on as much as I could, I have to give it up here. This is one of the best drinks I have ever had, hands down, just wonderful. I would have to recommend this to everyone, go and get some!

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured this into champagne flutes last night for an extended evening of food and company. We began with cheese, moved onto brisket and finished with a sponge cake.

The New Glarus came with every step of the way and made everything better.

Appearance: Beautiful reddish color, somewhat cloudy. Small head in the flute. Great bubbly action.

Smell: Oooh. Raspberries! From the very first, you can't miss them. There isn't much of a smell of alcohol though, so one will not confuse the appearnace and smell with, say, a raspberry champagne cocktail.

Taste: Up front, more raspberry. But there is a balance and the finish is unmistakenly beer.

Mouthfeel: Clean, crisp and very easy to drink. Way too easy.

Overall: Outstanding with every food we had last night.

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Thanks portia99 for hooking me up with this in my first trade!

A - Dark cherry color with a nice pink head on top. Yum.

S - Wow. Sweet raspberry smell. This smells delicious.

T - Wow again. I tend to be underwhelmed when I try beers that have been hyped up and are only available in a small area but this beer is phenomenal. Nice sweet raspberry taste up front with a little tartness at the end. The finish on this beer is what really makes it. Sweetness at the front but it is around only for a second before a nice tartness shows up. Reminds me of fresh raspberries. Once again Wow.

M - Medium body with a slightly syrupy quality and a nice amount of carbonation.

D - I could drink this all day. I'm blown away by this beer. The mix of sweetness and a hint of tart is amazing. I think I'm in love!

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours from a champagne bottle into a wide mouth glass. A pinkish red color with a medium pinkish white head. A tiny bit frothy in the head; good carbonation in this beer! The smell is clearly raspberry; the flavour as well. This taste slightly sweet and goes down well.

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

For my 500th review (Woo Hoo!), I figured I would do something special. Thanks go out to nflmvp for this one.

Comes in a 1pint 9oz bottle with the cap dipped in red wax and oozing down the side of the bottle. The bottle literature proclaims this a "rare delight". We shall see.

Pours into a pint glass a murky cranberry color with a nice, fizzy, soda like head that is more of a strawberry color.

The bouquet on this is unbelievable. Tons and tons of raspberries. Possibly even some strawberry and sour cherry tossed into the mix. Basically, any red fruit, with the full emphasis on raspberry. I have never smelled something so pungent and tart and delicious.

The flavor is unbelievable as well. Perfrect amount of tartness from the raspberries with just the right amount of sweetness to balance things out.

I honestly could drink this all day every day and I would find it impossible for anyone not to like this. ABV is nonexistent. This is truly a beer to behold. Thanks again nflmvp and glad this was number 500!

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Much thanks to Faro for trading this to me. I've wanted to try this since I first heard about it.

As I poured I coudn't help but think of red wine or crimson paint diluted with water. The tiny head atop the body looks a lot like red slush. It clings to the edge of the glass all the way down.

As for the nose .... ever been around someone sucking on a raspberry lollypop? That's kind of what this is like only far more robust. Juicy.

Damn does this taste great. A little tartness and a little sweetness. Neither fighting for dominance ... both uniting to please the taster. This beer to me seems to be something that anyone could enjoy. As long as you like raspberries that is.

4.96/5  rDev +14.3%

750 ml wax capped bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Tawny ruby red-brown colored, this murky beer is capped by an off-ivory-hued loose white head that topples to a ring of bubbles which leave dots of lace on the glass.

S - Devoid of any real "beer" smell, one can behold Raspberry Tart's perfumy aroma of crushed raspberries feet away. Subtle suggestions of the oak this spontaneously fermented beer is brought to maturation as the beer warms but any wild yeast aromas are nowhere to be found.

T - Heaven in a bottle, raspberry sweetness overwhelms the palate with pure, unadulterated fruit flavor, cut just in the nick of time by a tart finish for the perfect balance that keeps it from becoming cloying. It's time in the oak vessels lends delicate earthiness to compliment the fruit and undertones of spontaneous fermentation.

M - Raspberry Tart's instantaneous sweetness sticks to the palate quite forcefully but allow this beer to wander around your mouth and you'll find it's tartness perfectly balances the sweetness for a wonderful and slightly dry finish, punctuated by Wisconsin wheat, which softens the mouthfeel, rounding the spritzy Champagne-like carbonation out.

O - One of the most exceptional fruit beers from one of the world's greatest fruit beer brewers, New Glarus' Raspberry Tart is dessert in a glass; pure raspberry pleasure, starting sweet and finishing dry and tart. There is absolutely nothing else like it.

4.96/5  rDev +14.3%

Incredible deep, ruby red color, almost brown, so maybe that means it's closer to garnet? Two finger pinkish head that stayed for a long long time, lots of lacing, I keep holding it up to the light and looking in amazement at that incredible red color. Lots of fine, champagne-like bubbles rising to the top.

The smell is like pure fresh raspberries and hearty pie crust. The fruit smell is so incredible. It really smells like a delicious pastry with raspberry jam on it. And the aroma is so strong, you can smell it standing feet away from the open bottle.

Taste,,, yuueeaahhh god man. Just look at me man. Sweet, yet tart (but not quite sour) fresh raspberries, just enough bready yeast to make it taste like a cobbler or pie. It seriously tastes like some pastry or crust/crumbs along side the fresh, natural fruit. There has to be something like 5,000 lbs of raspberry in each bottle, it's that strong. The first time I tried this, I thought "okay it's going to be fruity but probably sour" and "okay it'll be REALLY fruity" but the sheer, well, fruitiness of it pretty much shot my face off. I would never have believed it possible to make a beer that tastes this much like a fruit. And in such a balanced, yet powerful way! The crust/cobbler sweetness balances the perfect level of tartness in a way that, again, doesn't even seem like it should be possible.

Mouth feel, nearly perfect. Creamy texture, light to medium body, with fine champagne bubbles, somewhat thin and fruity but still thick enough to coat your mouth with the unbelievable taste. It's dry, but not too dry.

Overall: remarkable,,,

4.96/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a clear amber with a tall, tan head. The nose leaves the assumption of a slight sour, but this is super fruity! Awesome fruit presence with a super raspberry jam taste. Light and refreshing.

4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

Basically a perfect beer experience -- exceptional in almost every way from appearance to drinkability. I'll break this one down just for fun:

A: Dark red and cloudy. Poured into a champagne flute like the bottle recommends. Looks a beautiful dark blood red and when you hold it up to the light it passes some intense red light. Beautiful.

S: Pure raspberries. On every level, in every way. The purest fruit smell I've ever smelled in a beer. Amazing.

T: See smell, basically. I'll add refreshing to the list.

M/D: Who couldn't love enjoying a huge amount of this beer? I saw on their site that you can get a 1/4 barrel of this. I might move to wisconsin.

4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

One of several bottles I received for my Birthday BIF month. This is thanks to zimmerbloke. Thanks, Matt!

Poured into a MJ tasting glass. Pours a clear, deep reddish hue, with a big, two fingered tannish head. Head drops rather quickly. Slight lacing.

Aromas of huge raspberry jam. And pretty much nothing else.

Flavors of huge raspberry jam, tart acidity. If there is a beer in there, you won't notice it. Finish is medium, with a huge raspberry aftertaste, and hints of raspberry seeds. Some lactic sourness.

Mouthfeel is medium, with some sticky fruit jam qualities, good level of carbonation.

Overall, dessert in a glass. Period.

4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

Dark red...nice lace..very very strong raspberry aroma...strong raspberry taste...tart...If it says raspberry tart, I expect that, and I got it with this one...excellent beer if you're into this type...Their Belgian Red gets all the pub but this is almost just as good, if not as good..

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company