2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,248 | Reviews: 828 | Show All Ratings:
BeerXKing

Aroma of fresh Raspberry and and ale, consisting mainly of sweet fruit and malt characters, surprisingly, not to sweet as the nose makes you think it will be.the fruit really shine in the aroma and in the mouthful.
the taste was not overly dry. Light bodied, not over carbonated, finishes was a little sweeter then tartness.

Overall a must try beer

01-25-2014 00:18:15 | More by BeerXKing
GameFreac

Georgia

Originally had this at a tasting and it was my favorite beer of the day then had it on tap.

Appearance: Pours a red/pink color with a film of a white head. Just looks like a fruit beer.

Smell: Smells of straight up sweet raspberries and minimal tartness. So inviting.

Taste - Amazing raspberry flavor. A little tart. Not too sweet. Not too syrupy. Just perfect.

Mouthfeel: Nice mouthfeel.

Overall: One of the best fruit beers I've ever had. Just right. If I traded, this, Serendipity and Wisconsin Belgian Red would be on my permanent ISO list. I could drink this every day.

09-21-2013 05:07:56 | More by GameFreac
SeanBond

I had this one years back, when I visited the New Glarus Brewery. Unfortunately, back then I wasn't that big into craft beer (or beer itself), so I didn't know what I was drinking. Even so, I knew that this was good stuff. Recently I've been much more diligent in drinking everything that NG puts out, so I was anxious to give this one a shot again, as it was my intro to New Glarus. I wasn't disappointed.

I'm gonna keep this one short and sweet. If you liked Serendipity or Strawberry Rhubarb, you'll love this. As the name describes, this is a very raspberry taste, with lots of sweetness and a deliciously tart finish. Has just enough carbonation to give it an effervescent feel; just awesome.

01-06-2014 14:38:47 | More by SeanBond
di_CCB

Montana

This has always been one of my favorite beers. It is wonderful! It is always consistent. Lovely color, aroma and taste. When we go to the GABF, it is the first line we get in. We get our sample, and go right back to the end of the line and get another.

02-08-2014 04:31:02 | More by di_CCB
elNopalero

This was nothing short of amazing.

It poured a ruddy reddish-amber with great foam. The aroma just pops with a fresh berry punch. It’s the same on the palate, tart and crisp and wildly vibrant. Pucker up and enjoy it. A real treat for this reviewer.

03-25-2014 23:00:45 | More by elNopalero
TheBungyo

Washington

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Much thanks to Faro for trading this to me. I've wanted to try this since I first heard about it.

As I poured I coudn't help but think of red wine or crimson paint diluted with water. The tiny head atop the body looks a lot like red slush. It clings to the edge of the glass all the way down.

As for the nose .... ever been around someone sucking on a raspberry lollypop? That's kind of what this is like only far more robust. Juicy.

Damn does this taste great. A little tartness and a little sweetness. Neither fighting for dominance ... both uniting to please the taster. This beer to me seems to be something that anyone could enjoy. As long as you like raspberries that is.

09-30-2006 22:16:09 | More by TheBungyo
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Now lets talk a little bit about this one for a minute. I have been wanting to try this forever, and I just recently received not one, but two bottles of this brew. I really did not know what to expect going into it, but have heard it is simply outstanding. So needless to say the red wax coated 750 beckoned me from the start and I popped one open last night. Poured a very nice raspberry colored red with a small pink colored head and very nice carbonation visible throughout the session. The smell was rich with raspberry essence. Extremely strong so that nothing else could possibly come through. Now the flavor was to die for. I have never been the biggest fan of fruit beers in general, but this has just come to a whole new level. So sweet yet tart and sour at the same time, the flavor was so strong, yet not overpowering and not too sweet as to make you sick, it was in a word, perfect. It had the most perfect taste for this style I could have ever imagined. A great light body and great carbonation made it feel like water and there was just no hint of any kind of alcohol in this. This was by far one of the best brews I have ever had. I was raving mad about this all night long and easily killed the bottle myself. I just did not think anything could taste this good, this was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on as much as I could, I have to give it up here. This is one of the best drinks I have ever had, hands down, just wonderful. I would have to recommend this to everyone, go and get some!

10-27-2007 13:32:47 | More by mikesgroove
Atricapilla

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Pours from a champagne bottle into a wide mouth glass. A pinkish red color with a medium pinkish white head. A tiny bit frothy in the head; good carbonation in this beer! The smell is clearly raspberry; the flavour as well. This taste slightly sweet and goes down well.

01-04-2008 05:15:41 | More by Atricapilla
SaCkErZ9

4.97/5  rDev +14%

For my 500th review (Woo Hoo!), I figured I would do something special. Thanks go out to nflmvp for this one.

Comes in a 1pint 9oz bottle with the cap dipped in red wax and oozing down the side of the bottle. The bottle literature proclaims this a "rare delight". We shall see.

Pours into a pint glass a murky cranberry color with a nice, fizzy, soda like head that is more of a strawberry color.

The bouquet on this is unbelievable. Tons and tons of raspberries. Possibly even some strawberry and sour cherry tossed into the mix. Basically, any red fruit, with the full emphasis on raspberry. I have never smelled something so pungent and tart and delicious.

The flavor is unbelievable as well. Perfrect amount of tartness from the raspberries with just the right amount of sweetness to balance things out.

I honestly could drink this all day every day and I would find it impossible for anyone not to like this. ABV is nonexistent. This is truly a beer to behold. Thanks again nflmvp and glad this was number 500!

05-14-2008 20:54:36 | More by SaCkErZ9
jpmclaug

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Thanks portia99 for hooking me up with this in my first trade!

A - Dark cherry color with a nice pink head on top. Yum.

S - Wow. Sweet raspberry smell. This smells delicious.

T - Wow again. I tend to be underwhelmed when I try beers that have been hyped up and are only available in a small area but this beer is phenomenal. Nice sweet raspberry taste up front with a little tartness at the end. The finish on this beer is what really makes it. Sweetness at the front but it is around only for a second before a nice tartness shows up. Reminds me of fresh raspberries. Once again Wow.

M - Medium body with a slightly syrupy quality and a nice amount of carbonation.

D - I could drink this all day. I'm blown away by this beer. The mix of sweetness and a hint of tart is amazing. I think I'm in love!

08-02-2010 01:09:07 | More by jpmclaug
Eggolas

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Poured this into champagne flutes last night for an extended evening of food and company. We began with cheese, moved onto brisket and finished with a sponge cake.

The New Glarus came with every step of the way and made everything better.

Appearance: Beautiful reddish color, somewhat cloudy. Small head in the flute. Great bubbly action.

Smell: Oooh. Raspberries! From the very first, you can't miss them. There isn't much of a smell of alcohol though, so one will not confuse the appearnace and smell with, say, a raspberry champagne cocktail.

Taste: Up front, more raspberry. But there is a balance and the finish is unmistakenly beer.

Mouthfeel: Clean, crisp and very easy to drink. Way too easy.

Overall: Outstanding with every food we had last night.

04-18-2011 16:05:32 | More by Eggolas
krustster

4.96/5  rDev +13.8%

Incredible deep, ruby red color, almost brown, so maybe that means it's closer to garnet? Two finger pinkish head that stayed for a long long time, lots of lacing, I keep holding it up to the light and looking in amazement at that incredible red color. Lots of fine, champagne-like bubbles rising to the top.

The smell is like pure fresh raspberries and hearty pie crust. The fruit smell is so incredible. It really smells like a delicious pastry with raspberry jam on it. And the aroma is so strong, you can smell it standing feet away from the open bottle.

Taste,,, yuueeaahhh god man. Just look at me man. Sweet, yet tart (but not quite sour) fresh raspberries, just enough bready yeast to make it taste like a cobbler or pie. It seriously tastes like some pastry or crust/crumbs along side the fresh, natural fruit. There has to be something like 5,000 lbs of raspberry in each bottle, it's that strong. The first time I tried this, I thought "okay it's going to be fruity but probably sour" and "okay it'll be REALLY fruity" but the sheer, well, fruitiness of it pretty much shot my face off. I would never have believed it possible to make a beer that tastes this much like a fruit. And in such a balanced, yet powerful way! The crust/cobbler sweetness balances the perfect level of tartness in a way that, again, doesn't even seem like it should be possible.

Mouth feel, nearly perfect. Creamy texture, light to medium body, with fine champagne bubbles, somewhat thin and fruity but still thick enough to coat your mouth with the unbelievable taste. It's dry, but not too dry.

Overall: remarkable,,,

01-15-2014 05:19:27 | More by krustster
ZAP

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Dark red...nice lace..very very strong raspberry aroma...strong raspberry taste...tart...If it says raspberry tart, I expect that, and I got it with this one...excellent beer if you're into this type...Their Belgian Red gets all the pub but this is almost just as good, if not as good..

04-25-2002 22:04:33 | More by ZAP
Skidz

Wisconsin

Re-Reviewed 12/23/04:

750mL bottle. Dark, raspberry red wax covers the top of the bottle, dripping down the sides. The packaging, while not completely important, just screams style and class.

Pours out bright strawberry red and sits a gleeming, crisp, deep, dark crimson, raspberry red in the glass. A good sized bright pink head sits atop this beauty of a beer. This is sure to instantly stip any man of every ounce of testosterone in his body and make him swear upon a stack of Cosmos, Glamour and Vogue magazines that he will never crack another joke about those pink shirts he sees other guys wearing. Head fades to a light skim, leaving you with a strand of hope that no one will see what you're drinking. Speckled lacings around the glass.

Up to the nose this beer greets you with the scents of every Bath and Body Works shampoo, conditioner and and hand lotion ever produced. Fresh and tart aromas of raspberry pureé connect your sense of smell and taste to the point where your mouth doesn't know if it's supposed to be tasting this or not; but it does. Check yourself, you might be drooling.

For a spilt second, you think you may have a chance of escaping, but the raspberry flavors lasoo you in like a cowboy tying up a calf in under 8 seconds. Giddy up, it's gonna be a hell of a ride. Sweet, syrupy flavors of pure raspberry gold run up and down the length of your toungue, bringing you to a premature eruption of sugar-coated gustation adultery. You're then immediately pulled away from the sweet taste of your first love and slapped across the face with a cheek piercing tanginess, bordering on sour emotions. These raspberries don't know what they want, but you do: you want more. Up and down and side to side, the raspberries jerk you around like a Superman #1 between four greasy nerds. Simply lucious and neverending ecstasy.

Smooth, rich, creamy and everything in between. A gooey shot of pure flavor spiked with a light, yet crisp carbonation. Medium-full body, with the nicest booty you could ever hope for. Pirates beware.

Some may say that this is overindulgence, I call it self-cleansing, and pleasuring. Not a single drop of this beer would ever go to waste on my watch. I don't think I would ever get this much pleasure from eating raspberries, so I shall swear them off and consume them only in the liquid form provided by New Glarus. I need a towel.

12-22-2003 07:27:43 | More by Skidz
brewdogmrb

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Basically a perfect beer experience -- exceptional in almost every way from appearance to drinkability. I'll break this one down just for fun:

A: Dark red and cloudy. Poured into a champagne flute like the bottle recommends. Looks a beautiful dark blood red and when you hold it up to the light it passes some intense red light. Beautiful.

S: Pure raspberries. On every level, in every way. The purest fruit smell I've ever smelled in a beer. Amazing.

T: See smell, basically. I'll add refreshing to the list.

M/D: Who couldn't love enjoying a huge amount of this beer? I saw on their site that you can get a 1/4 barrel of this. I might move to wisconsin.

07-19-2008 12:57:42 | More by brewdogmrb
hwwty4

Missouri

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Big thanks to Lordsloth for giving me this one.

Poured a 25oz bottle into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a magnificent deep maroon but barely produces any head whatsoever and what head it does produce quickly disappeared into a completely still beer. The aroma is amazing. It encapsulates the essence of a raspberry. Up front the aroma is a like raspberry jam, sweet and sugary but at the end the nose, the aroma becomes quite tart and it makes your nose hair tingle. The taste follows suit to a tee. Sweet raspberry hits your lips and tongue but the more you hold it in your mouth the more the sour/tartness comes through. It coalesces every aspect of biting into a fresh raspberry. The mouthfeel is light and crisp but leaves a sour twinge in your jaw and a dryness on your tongue. I wish I had a case of this on hand at all times. This beer is simply amazing.

12-11-2008 04:13:00 | More by hwwty4
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Sampled as often as possible at the 2009 GABF.

This is a beer that will leave you speechless, stunned, and maybe a little embarrassed. I lead a group of 7 on Thursday and at the end of the night this was the beer that the group enjoyed the most. As much as we loved the IPAs, the barrel-aged stout, the wild ales, this raspberry fruit beer had them all beat. For me, it was this and Cuvee de Tomme alone at the top.

You wouldn't think tart raspberries could be that amazing, but you would be wrong. An outstanding beer.

The fact that this doesn't take Gold home from the GABF every year is an indictment of their judging system. I mean...WTF?

10-19-2009 16:11:09 | More by BradLikesBrew
HitokiriNate85

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Deep, rich red that fades to a brighter hue at the corners of the glass. Thin white cap fades to just a rim in the glass.

S - The most fruit-forward smelling beer I've ever had(along with it's twin). Rich, sweet raspberry glory. Obviously not like the soured fruit you get in a lambic. It's all backed by an amazing wheat/malted barley combo that creates a pie crust smell. If any review needed a scratch and sniff, this is it. Incredible.

T - Follows the nose to a tee, but with much greater complexity. Tons of juicy raspberry upfront, then the sweet malts come into play, followed by tart and acidic flavors on the back of the tongue and throat. I think it's a combination from the fermented fruit itself and from the oak. From the sheer richness, it's amazing that this isn't the least bit cloying.

MF - Lighter-bodied, but it's surprisingly full. Carbonation comes in more towards the end, but it still coats the mouth.

D - Very easy to drink, but it's also incredibly rich for a 4% beer. I realize a lot of people would prefer a beer like this on a special occasion, but I would drink this on a very regular basis if I could. The balance between sweet and tart is spot on. My favorite fruit beer.

11-17-2010 01:37:30 | More by HitokiriNate85
JamnesCameron

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

One of several bottles I received for my Birthday BIF month. This is thanks to zimmerbloke. Thanks, Matt!

Poured into a MJ tasting glass. Pours a clear, deep reddish hue, with a big, two fingered tannish head. Head drops rather quickly. Slight lacing.

Aromas of huge raspberry jam. And pretty much nothing else.

Flavors of huge raspberry jam, tart acidity. If there is a beer in there, you won't notice it. Finish is medium, with a huge raspberry aftertaste, and hints of raspberry seeds. Some lactic sourness.

Mouthfeel is medium, with some sticky fruit jam qualities, good level of carbonation.

Overall, dessert in a glass. Period.

05-29-2011 00:44:22 | More by JamnesCameron
Benish

Wisconsin

Poured into wine glass.

Appearance: white foam with a tint of red built up while pouring. Very gorgeous. The beer had a naturally red color. Not that artificial looking color you see in red candy. Looked kind of like fruit leather (they always seem to be dark red) as opposed to fruit roll-ups. In addition it's quite opaque, when shining light at it, you still can't see through. This further adds to that natural look.

Smell: instantly smell fruit leather (not fruit roll-ups!). Very jammy with raspberries and maybe a blend of other fruits. Smells sweet and delightful!

Taste: sweet and tart; tasting all raspberries! The sweetness comes in very pleasantly, nothing is cloying. Very jammy, luscious, and juicy! Hard to believe with all that flavor that the beer only clocks at 4% ABV.

Mouthfeel: it has that medium to thick body, you could almost chew it. Almost tingly around the mouth, carbonation is perfect.

Overall: the best fruit beer I have had. This beer is outstanding, if not beyond outstanding! Try this when you have the chance!

12-26-2013 16:37:04 | More by Benish
beersabound

Alaska

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

Shared a bottle of this with some friends last night and everyone loved it. We had it with two types of cheesecake. We also mixed some Razz Tart with Young's Double Chocolate Stout to create a fabulous beer dessert. This beer has an enchnating red color with a pinkish head that fizzles away rather quickly. Sourness and raspberry sweetness dominate the aroma. A burst of raspberry flavor comes first, followed quickly by the tart and sour mouth sensations. The sourness is what makes this beer so drinkable and gives it some balance. Without the tartness this beer would not get the high marks it receives around the world. At GABF this is one of the first beers to run out. The body is medium light with the fruit providing something for the tongue to latch on to. The CO2 level is medium high; perfect for the style. The finish is sour and not overly fruity; not cloying at all. Basically, if you want a great fruit beer to go with anything chocolate or as dessert, do yourself a favor and get a bottle of this.

09-26-2006 00:31:46 | More by beersabound
ryantupy

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

A nice 750ml bottle with the top half dipped in wax. Served in a standard flute glass.

A - Cloudy bood red color reminiscent of champagne with a nice inch and a half fizzy head that quickly dissolves into a nice lace.

S - Raspberrys are naturally the first thing that overwhelm your senses. The beer is very sweet and has a nice tartness to it. There was a subtle floral hint to it.

T - Raspberries hit you at first and they hit you strong. However its not really sour at all. Its definatly a sweet beer with a nice tart finish to it. But it wakes up all of your taste buds especially in the back of your mouth.

M - Fizzy like champagne that starts sweet and finishes nice and tart. The alcohol is almost un-noticable until the very end.

Goes great with cheesecake in my opinion and definatly one of my favorite raspberry beers.

12-16-2006 22:40:10 | More by ryantupy
sablephish

Alaska

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

Drank this one near the new year, cold winter storm, inches of snow and a wood stove burning the background, yepper, It's alaska, and friggin cold...
Paired with a very special last bottle of 2006 AbYSS. Not blended, just sparate at the same time.

This pairing isnt totally true to the beer, but holy smokes . . . this is up there with oral sex! Liquid raspbeery love. Everything is so nice and clean, but walks the line between domesticated and crazy brett character. Perfect abuse of dumping raspberrys (fermented?) into the finished product. Poured deep opaque red, no sseing through this one. Pinky pink lace everlasting throuh the glass but weirdly random. . . super duper protein action (ver cool). Anyhow, as for the flavor, It's like drinking a fresh raspberry pir. Fresh being the operatinve word here.
Thanks you new glarus, you made Juneau Alaska just a little more tolerable tonight.

01-04-2009 09:59:13 | More by sablephish
Gavage

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: clear reddish purple color with a short 1" head. SOme spotty lace develops.

Smell: huge raspberry aroma here that is wonderful. No fake syrupy aroma here.

Taste: there is a light graininess to this beer. Big raspberry flavor with a bit of tartness. Bitterness is mild.

Mouthfeel: crisp and lightly dry from start to finish. Very long lasting raspberry flavors coat the tongue.

Drinkability: this is one of the best fruit styled beers I have had the pleasure to drink. Easy to quaff and very enjoyable.

11-24-2009 20:55:43 | More by Gavage
KickbacksSteve

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

750 ml poured into a generic chalice. Ruby red body. Thin off-white head. Sticky but not resinous lacing on the glass. Aroma of raspberries with some funky tartness. Very clean smell. Taste is sweet yet tart in perfect balance. Who couldn't love this beer served at the right time at the right place in the same way? I beg again, how can any one not love this beer? Pretty effing awesome. Thanks Jim, for sharing this treat.

08-15-2010 22:06:49 | More by KickbacksSteve