Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,044
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

An impressive looking champagne magnum that is waxed on the top.

Appearance: Murky red colour, looks like puréed raspberries. Light fizzy head give a champagne crackle.

Smell: Big aroma of freshly macerated raspberries. Very sweet yet enough fruity tartness as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Bam! Raspberries! Every corner your taste buds turn more raspberries. The tartness is right in balance with the sweetness of the fruit. Fizzy crisp mouth feel, sweet on the palate with some graininess within. A very faint alcohol also leads down the beer trail.

Notes: A perfect tasting fruit beer, “real fruit”! This is my top pick for an early afternoon brunch tipple.

Jason, Nov 30, 2003
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a very dark almost blood red that is pretty viscous looking. A thin head formed but dissipated. No lacing.

Smell is amazing. So much raspberry with a little tartness. It smells so tasty.

Taste is awesome. Like I am drinking desert and beer at the same time. So much raspberry flavor I dont know how they packed it in and did not ferment all the sugars out. Its like I am drinking whole raspberries. Better than drinking raspberry juice and it has beer in it. LOL

Mouthfeel could use a little more carbonation in my opinion.

So drinkable. I'm about to finish this bottle all by myself. I will trade for this one several times just because you got to keep something interesting around for the ladies that is different from the framboise that seems to be the craze among the ladies who know nothing about beer.

PeprSprYoFace, Mar 11, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

sampled a couple times, never reviewed...cellared this one about 8 months at low temps since my Dec. trip to Madtown, let's see what happened

a: Poured into a flute type St. Louis lambic glass, I get a pink head atop a beautiful, deep ruby red body. Not much retention, but I guess there wasn't much to retain...a thin layer does remain.

s: This one absolutely must be allowed to warm a bit once out of the fridge. Mashed, dark red raspberries upfront...like the kind that are just about overripe and falling off the vine. A moderate tartness tempers the sugars of both the fruit and the malt. Not just raspberry, but a representation of the berry at its peak that showcases its full range of character from rich fruit to gently tart citric acid. In all likelihood, this should probably be a 5.0.

m: Carbonation on the lower end of the medium range, a very smooth compliment to the luscious medium body.

t: Wow. I was worried that the age might have done some damage, but no way...I think the raspberries and malt may have actually blended into each other a bit more. Delicious fresh raspberries and raspberry compote seasoned with lime juice. Holy shit this is good. Malt takes a far back seat to the fruit, but it provides a very important backbone of both body and flavor. Behind the fruit you can't taste the grain, but I can tell it's there. The grain also serves to mellow the tart quality of the citric acid, which I'm sure serves as a preservative. So much going on here, most all of it involving raspberry.

d: a pleasure for sure, the stickiness in the back of the throat is the only detractor

As it turns out, this one might be worth aging awhile...give it a shot if you're fortunate enough to have easy access. I'd love to do a side-by-side. A follow up with New Glarus revealed an expected shelf life of two years.

blackie, Aug 20, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Got her in the mail in a trade with umustdrink. Shared this with family after a nice BBQ on a surprisingly coolish Hotlanta evening. Pours a lovely, ruby red with a nice fizzy head. Of course she had an aroma of raspberry, with a full sour mouthfeel. I still cannot get over how balanced this beer was...and I don't even like raspberries! The wheat must balance out the tartness, because the tartness really does not blow you away. One truly exceptional beer.

RustyDiamond, Jul 03, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Man, I sat on this for over a year and it's still fantastic. Used to celebrate 27th anniversary.
Beautiful red hue that's slightly cloudy. Pink and red smallish fizzy head. Poured into flute, as directed on bottle. That worked well.
Sweet fruity aroma and a little prickly from the bubbles.
Raspberry flavor with a kool-aid quality but not extract. Tangy tartness to the sourness which keeps it from being cloy.
Early in the bottle very effervescent bubbles. After they settle down a fairly heavy drink closing in on a syrupy quality.
What makes this so good is the boldness without excess. So flavorful. So good. Taken slowly a lot can be enjoyed.

garymuchow, Jan 30, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Obtained via trade with mymrnngjckt. Poured into a wine tulip. Color is an extremely dark shade of burgundy. The opaque body rests beneath a 2 finger head of pinkish tan hue. It leaves some spotty lacing.

Aroma is starkly raspberryish. Literally smells exactly like raspberry preserves.

Taste is also dominated by succulent raspberry. It carries a sharp raspberry seed tanginess that serves to balance the sweetness. This tart note is cheek puckering and quite enjoyable. There's a fleeting tootsie pop note in the finish as well.

Body is quite full, making this an epic dessert beer. The carbonation helps carry the balancing tartness through the palate. A delightful beer that's really easy to drink.

illidurit, Jan 27, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Bottle generously provided by Orbitalr0x, super-huge thanks for the opportunity! Hard pour gets the tiniest ring of pinkish bubbles around the inside of the glass. Appears super-dark ruby red...as if it's made of blackberries, not raspberries. Smells...all about raspberries. It's very intense. I've only smelled raspberries like this on two occasions; 1) raspberries fresh off the plant...tasting wild and woody; 2) thick raspberry goo dripping from a chocolate raspberry cake I once had at a very posh resturant. Woody is a great way to describe the raspberries...I wonder if this beer has lotsa tannins from raspberry seeds. Now for a first taste...tart and really rich potent raspberry. Sweet start and dry finish. Raspberry pop tart insides have a flavor this sour, but not as intense and not anything near as fresh berry-like. Wow, this beer is incredible and puts the Kuhnhenn raspberry beer to shame. Cranberry sour and lemon tart. Citric acid tart dry finish with an aftertaste of raspberries that just hangs around forever. The bottle is correct, there is no need to wait for dessert. This is dessert. Pair this with a thick rich chocolate cake (no, not a light and fluffy cake, a thin rich cake so dense with butter it appears like a brownie-like slab of chocolate). Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Though md, the carb seems sharp, amid the raspberry tart. This is not a complex beer, but this is liquid raspberries in a bottle like I never could envision someone ever capturing. Amazing.

mentor, Aug 17, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance- Pours a gorgeous dark ruby red with a thin film of bubbles on the top.

Smell- It smells a little raspberry snow cone to me which is the only thing that kept it from getting a five overall. Still pleasant but not quite what I hoped for.

Taste- My worries on the nose faded right away when I tasted it. Sweet pure raspberry at first that finishes tart and dry. Delicious!

Mouthfeel- Thin and almost champagne like.

Overall- Not sure why I've never had this before being from Wisconsin but it will become a regular in the rotation

Jfriz25, Aug 19, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

A - Pours a dark, murky plum color, with a two finger pink head. Retention is minimal, with light, spotty lacing.

S - Pure, delicious raspberry on the nose. A bit of earthyness & grass, but anything besides the raspberry struggles to get through. I'm ok with that.

T - Carbonated raspberry juice. And I mean that in the best possible way. Not too tart; the sweet & tart are very well balanced. A bit spicy as well.

M - Medium light body & spritzy carbonation. Semi-dry finish.

D - light body & sweet/tart balance along with the low ABV makes this insanely sessionable.

Another unique & delicious fruit beer from New Glarus. More than worthy of the acclaim it gets.

0110x011, Dec 28, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to dhr for sending out this one. Shared with balberts after a long day, poured into wine glasses from the 750mL bottle at fridge temperature.

A: Cloudy and deep red. Slight pinkish head.

S: As one might expect, the smell is dominated by raspberries. Smells very sweet, not much sourness.

T: Wonderful and complex. Sourness that stays with you, tremendous amounts of raspberries. There is more to this than some other fruit beers, and I really like it.

M: A little thick, but pleasant otherwise.

D: Refreshing, goes down smooth and easy. Even with the sourness, I could reach for another one.

Happy I got the opportunity to try this one. I think I might try to get another bottle, if someone in WI is nice enough.

tprokop7, May 01, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

75cl bottle courtesy of photomike. I just want to start by saying that I can't imagine a fruit beer smelling better than this. Every time that I put my nose in the glass, a huge smile crept over my face. I love raspberry jam, and this smelled like just about the best raspberry jam ever. I have no idea how they got such a vivid and intense aroma into this beer. There is a great mix in the flavor of sweet fruit and tartness that keeps the sweetness from overrunning the drinkability. I have to day that I can't imagine the flavor keeping me captivated for ever like the aroma, but this is a superbly done fruit beer in every aspect.

bulletrain76, Aug 24, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a moderately deep, somewhat dull ruby color. Medium to large head that retains only a little while but laces nicely in the New Glarus flute. Constant carbonation is visible and it is apparent that this a very bubbly beer.

S- All raspberry, but varying flavors throughout. Starts with some naturally sweet berry tones, but then progresses straight into a funky note. The funky note turns a touch to the sour side. Finishes with a mix of the sour, sweet, and funky notes.

T- Just like the smell, except more natural (if possible). Starts with only a slight hint of sweet, then goes right into the funk. The funk and sour are stronger here than in the scent. Sweetness persists under the slight sour notes throughout the drink, but the funk and sour take a front seat. Ends with a slight bite of sour and little to no aftertaste on the tongue.

M- Light and fizzy all the way through. Pretty thin and easy to drink. Sour level doesn't effect it's ability to be drank at length.

Overall, this is a great fruit beer. Not terribly complex in the flavor or scent, but pretty delicious all the way through. Sour and sweet notes really work together to make this a beer and not just a carbonated fruit drink.

boilermakerbrew, Jan 20, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Like this one better than the Belgian Red both are exceptional brews but this one is less sweet and a little more pleasing for my personal preference. The nose is incredible raspberry and drink ability to match. This is another great beer to share with family at holiday dinners. Most can't believe it's a beer.. This is for those that say they don't like beer! Worth seeking out your efforts will be rewarded with a pleasant drinking experience!

hrking, Dec 25, 2009
4.61/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a brown reddish color with white head with touches of red in it. Head dissipated rapidly. Smell is great just like tart raspberries and candy. Whoa this is TART, what an excellent flavor of raspberries and even though it's tart it's sweet as well, with some dark oak flavors. Mouthfeel is like drinking champagne, very bubbly and the tart really hangs on.

Overall this beer is excellent, such a great quality beer everyone should try this.

JerUrbans, Feb 09, 2014
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer is ridiculously good.

Purchased for a little under 8 USD, I had high hopes and those hopes were fulfilled... glad I bought two!

When pouring into a pint glass, it was so red, I had to double-check I wasn't pouring from my Kool-Aid container. Red as roses with a fluffy, pink head that almost made me want to grab a carnival straw and a scoop of vanilla ice cream from the kitchen.

OK... it looks amazing, so how does it smell? It was like I was at a roadside berry stand and fell, head first into the raspberry carton. My god, it was almost overwhelming, but since I'm such a sucker for raspberries, I was in heaven.

So, you would think after all the positive vibes I've been getting that the flavor would be at least on par? You'd be wrong... it was better! This is the most drinkable fruit beer I've ever had... it even tops the NGBR. It's low alcohol content makes this a potential three-gulper every time you bend your elbow, but you'll want to relish every sweet sip of this fantastic elixir.

Now it is big, so I can very easily recommend that you share with a friend. I drank this late at night and couldn't finish the entire bottle (a travesty I know -- but I got close!). As it can definitely be classified as a case of too much of a good thing, when it comes time to drink the last bottle, I'll make sure there's a buddy on hand. If not, I need to make sure I have a full hour available to tackle the sweet onslaught of one of the finest fruit beers I've had to date.

rudylaw, Dec 27, 2007

#BOTG 57!

Waxed bottle, 750ml. I have been looking forward to trying this one for awhile. The wax comes off easy, and after popping the cap, a really nice waft of fresh raspberries (very natural, no syrupy/chemical/artificial flavors detected) hits my nose. Pours from bottle into my JK Farmhouse glass. Wrong glass for this, but I have nothing else. This is a crystal clear raspberry red color, very little head, but tight carbonation bubbles come up from the bottom of the glass. Smells great, looks great. Taste- What I love about this is that the sweetness and the fruit flavor all is very natural. It has some nice sugary sweetness, but it seems more like real fruit sweetness than some sort of artificial flavoring. As expected, there is a nice puckering tartness to this on the end, and a dry finish with tight carbonation. Really nice beer, will seek this out again.

lnashsig, Jun 08, 2012
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Big wax top bottle into a New Glarus pint glass.

A - Tiny head that dissipates quickly and leaves the dark redish purple color alone.
S - Sweet raspberry fruity and a hint of booze.
T & M- Truly another delight from NG. The tart raspberry taste makes the tastebuds water.
D - I could drink this when I wake up every morning.

If you are looking for an intense sweet tasting brew, this is for you.

copyguyadam, May 22, 2010

442Much, Nov 09, 2014

AlienSwineFlu, Aug 24, 2014
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice. Thanks Bernie for the hook-up!

A: Pours a bright, opaque, red with a small, light-pink head that leaves little bits and pieces of lace on the glass.

S: Huge aroma of fresh raspberry. Incredible. Faint, earthy, "dirt" smell lurking in the background.

T: Spicy, just picked raspberry flavor-at the same time sweet and tart and prickly. Not even a trace of alcohol.

M: Prickly and spicy to the tongue but this is kept in check by a very large sweetness that tickles the mouth as well.

D: Damn! This is so good! Tastes very natural and drinks perfectly.

GbVDave, Jan 04, 2008
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

First time I had this I had to share the bottle with like 6 other people and we drank it out of paper cups. This time I'm doin' it right.

Ohh, the smell of sweet raspberries. Very strong and sweet, yet the tartness comes through to the nose as well.

Pours a brilliant, beautiful red color. Not amber, not brownish red, RED. Its beautiful. The head is a good 2 fingers and the color of a strawberry shake.

Taste is absolutely sublime. If you are a fruit lover, as I am, this will blow your doors off. Tart and sweet, tangy, sugary without being syrupy. Oh man this stuff is good. This is beer? Raspberries!!! Oh how good they are. They actually took these tasty little things and made BEER out of them? Genius.

If you have relatives or friends who are wary of the crazy craft brews that you drink, give them one of these to try.

travloh, Sep 29, 2008
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thankyou again to BDEE for this one.

Poured into my lindemans stange. Left a generous two finger eggshell colored heading,tremendous lacing left behind until the last drop not thick but nice and bubbly. Clear and mahogany in color with a rubish tint to it.

Smell amazingly enough is raspberries , raspberries and more raspberries. Excellent tartness with just an extremely fresh fruit aroma.

Taste reminds of pureed raspberry slush. Tartness fits right in after the initial raspberry blast along with a slight touch of sugary alcohol. Very subtle soft grains in the finish.

Mouth is medium bodied, tremendous bubbley,fizzy action on the tongue.

This sets the bar as to what a fruit and, or raspberry beer should taste like. My first beer from New Glarus and I am very impressed.

TheFightfan1, Mar 21, 2012
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to LittleBreeze & MrEd137 who cracked open a bottle over dessert.

A- Murky ruby-red color with a very minimal red-tan head that disappears almost immediately. Absolutely no lacing.

S- Ripe raspberries. Ripe raspberries. and Ripe raspberries.

T- Tart, over-ripe raspberries with a lambic bitterness in the finish. First sip starts off sweet and subsequent sips become increasingly tart.

M- Thin -> Med body with minimal carbonation.

D- This is by all means a dessert beer & one to split with a few folks. The raspberry & tart are so intense as to prevent quick consumption. This one lives up to the hype.

Avryle, Mar 17, 2008
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep mohoganny, pink head, slight retention, good lace.

S: Raspberry and candy-floss fruity esters.

T: Raspberry, dry, slight acidity, candy-floss fruityness.

M: Light to moderate body, moderate carbonation, slight acidity, dry finish.

D: Very good.

I generally don't like raspberries or tartness, but this is incredibly well-crafted.

Derek, Jul 20, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is delicious. The fruit is impeccable. It was very refreshing as well. My only criticism is it's overly sweet after a few sips. If this beer had a bit more alcohol I feel it would be more balanced. I enjoyed it a bit better after mixing in a bit of a different ale to cut down the sweetness.

PlinyBeMiney, Mar 12, 2014