1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,245 | Reviews: 827 | Show All Ratings:
ADR

3.38/5  rDev -22.5%

Geez, this stuff is close to Alizarin Crimson in color (a purplish red used by watercolor painters). Thin skim of a pinkish head. Laces in wisps on a wine glass. Raspberries saturate the aroma, and being my favorite berry, that's OK. The flavor however is overdone and unidimensional. Berry chokes the palette and the nose concurrently -- and while its not the overly sweet tone of a cheap Framboise, its too much. The tartness is underdone, its more raspberry "smoothie" than seeds and stems. The Belgian Red straddles the line, this crosses it. Could also use slightly more carbonation for interest.

01-27-2004 19:58:41 | More by ADR
n2185

3.38/5  rDev -22.5%

A: Pours a clear mahogany with ruby tints and two fingers of khaki head that recedes into a thin cap with no lacing.

S: Tons and tons of dry, tart raspberry aromas with just a hint of some yeasty characters.

T: Similar to the aroma, raspberries dominate: sweet, tart, acidic, and dry all at the same time. Not much else going on here.

M: Medium-light body with light, but biting carbonation.

O: Not a bad beer by any means . . . but it's difficult for me to even think of this as a beer. This is really just carbonated raspberry juice. It's fairly tasty, but is so simple and one-note in both taste and aroma that it'd be hard for me to call this a good beer. I'd like less raspberry and more beer (i.e. hops, barley, and yeast).

11-09-2011 02:55:53 | More by n2185
RuckusDu

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev -22.5%

A - Pours about one finger of white to off-white head. Body is brown with a red tinge and clear. No lacing.

S - Raspberries and sweet. Not much else going on.

T - Overpoweringly sweet. Raspberries. Very slight sourness. Some earthy funk to it as well on the back-end.

M - Good carbonation with medium body.

O - It is a dessert beer that is very sweet and one dimensional (raspberry). Not something I think I would ever seek out again.

EDIT - Tried this one again. Super pleasant beer that tastes great and is very smooth and refreshing. I would increase the appearance, taste, and overall by .25-.5 points each. I would give it a 3.9 rating today.

09-13-2013 03:44:50 | More by RuckusDu
DarthKostrizer

3.35/5  rDev -23.2%

Thanks to whoever shared this at NoSignsOfPain's bday party

Look: Pours a amber red color with a 1/4 inch pinkish head and ok retention

Smell: Raspberries and more raspberries with a slight sourness

Taste: For me this is where it went wrong. The flavor is overpowering with raspberries and they seem artificial. There is a slight tartness and sourness that accompany the raspberries

Mouthfeel: Just over a thin body and mild carbonation and it felt very syrupy to me and left a stickiness in my mouth that I didnt really care for

Overall: This drinks more like a fruit juice then a beer. This is not what I want when I want to drink a beer sorry but this one just doesnt do it for me

07-03-2012 20:35:34 | More by DarthKostrizer
twelvsies

Maine

3.23/5  rDev -25.9%

Awesome throw-in from a trade w/ raoulduke37. Split with friends last night after dinner. Pours a dark ruby red, really pretty color, little whispy pinkish head. Fizzy. Looks like soda, is all I can think of. Smell is unadulterated raspberry. So far so good, but while I dig the raspberry flavor, this is just too sweet for me. A tiny bit of tart in the finish, but I wouldn't venture to label this beer as sour at all. It's fruity, and sweet. Which if you're looking for, you're going to like this beer. Just not really my thing. A bit cloying and sugary. Wish it was a little more complex and wild tasting, a little more natural. Still and impressive brew. Big fan of New Glarus in general so I would still recommend this beer to others.

05-14-2009 14:18:08 | More by twelvsies
daveytheformer

Oregon

3.23/5  rDev -25.9%

Pours crimson red with a bubbling white head that fade to almost no lacing.

A big raspberry aroma with a mild amount of oak. Comes across like it's gonna be really sweet.

Tastes are the same. Too sweet for me, almost like soda. No real acidity to speak of. Light dry finish.

Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation.

Overall is just not my kind of beer I guess. I'm a little bummed by that as I was looking forward to this beer for some time.

06-07-2011 17:52:39 | More by daveytheformer
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -26.6%

Thanks to oakbluff for this one.

Poured from a 1 pint 9 fl. oz. bottle into 2 champagne flutes (me & my wife) as per label on bottle.

Appearance: Crimson red body looking almost liked pureed raspberries with a thin head.

Smell: All rapsberries here, aroma of freshly picked berries, looking good.

Taste: A rush of raspberries hits you, tart & bitter but no apparent sweetness maybe masked by the tartness.

Mouthfeel: Fizziness in the mouthfeel, bold & heavy taste, a little too heavy maybe. Dominant flavor is raspberries (of course!) which have a over-ripened feel to them.

Drinkablity: For me, drinkability suffers for this one. Very overwhelming, would have been satisfied with one flute but after getting halfway through the bottle, had trouble finishing it.

Overall: I came expecting raspberries, but i think it was too much. I wanted to like it but in the end, not so. It's a very well-crafted brew no doubt. Not sure if tartness was too much but there was no sweetness which made it difficult to finish. Smell & initial taste were the best features. I think this would be better served as a small 8 oz. bottle (maybe available?) but i don't think i would seek it out again.

01-24-2008 23:19:37 | More by papat444
alysmith4

District of Columbia

3.2/5  rDev -26.6%

Was somewhat underwhelmed by this beer. Had it at a bottle-share and loved it, so I traded for it in order to try again. Second time around, was just not happy. Way too sour/vinegary, with little to no raspberry (tart) sweetness. Would like to try one more time just to see if I got a bad batch, otherwise I'll pass on this beer.

03-13-2013 16:58:42 | More by alysmith4
DeaconBluez

Alabama

3.13/5  rDev -28.2%

pours a deep rapsberry color. it almost looks a a raspberry smoothie. it is very thick looking. head disapates rather quickly. leaves some lacing.

smell is of very tart raspberries.

taste is of chocolate and coffee...wait no...i am just kidding. it is very tart and very rapsberry-ish

i don't think i need to go on much further.i think you get the idea here. RAPSBERRIES!!! this is not a beer for people that don't like fruit type beers.

01-15-2006 22:19:40 | More by DeaconBluez
DovaliHops

3.13/5  rDev -28.2%

Thanks to CenCalMario for sharing this one with me! Pours a brownish red color with a small, white head. Scent is strong raspberry puree smelling...not much else. Taste is TONS of sweet raspberries and cane sugar...not much else. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and leaves a sticky feeling inside of the mouth due to intense sweetness. Drinkability is fair. Overall, I was kinda disappointed by this beer. I thought it would be a bit tart...since the word "tart" is in its name. This beer is a bit overly sweet for my liking, but not nearly as bad as Lindeman's Framboise. I guess if I were a fan of fruit beers, this one may be more appealing to me. Glad I got the opportunity to try it though!

08-25-2011 07:09:42 | More by DovaliHops
beagle75

Iowa

3.13/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a half-pint pokal glass.

A: Clear, dark rusty amber color--tea-like--with a peripheral ring of parchment-tinted bubbles. Scant lacing remains on the glass.

S: Reminiscent of a raspberry-flavored bottled iced tea--the raspberry quality is self-evident, but not especially authentic. Malt is very mild, transformed by fermentation, which leads to some of the earthy tea.

T: Begins sweet, with extract-like raspberry fruit that is consistent with the smell. Moderate acidity keeps flavors lively on the palate into the middle, where minor earthy qualities begin to replace some of the retreating acidic fruit. Flavors taper off by the finish, with a slightly fruity sense of sticky sweetness lingering on the palate.

M: Thin viscosity, slightly syrupy and energetically acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: As the third American-brewed raspberry fruit beer reviewed in as many months this beer lets something of a letdown, given its positive reputation. While raspberry flavors are fairly intense, they are also less than credible. The sensory qualities of this beer seem to have been optimized for the palate of the non-beer drinker.

11-23-2011 01:38:53 | More by beagle75
jmarsh123

Indiana

3.13/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours hazy red tinged brown. Not much head to speak of. Some bubbles of carbonation abound.

Strong raspberry aroma although smells more artificial than fresh. Not really much beyond this.

Again strong artificial raspberry character. Slightly tart and finishes a little oaky and dry. Not really many flavors outside of raspberry.

Medium mouthfeel. A bit sticky with very tingly carbonation.

Doesn't really do it for me. I enjoyed Belgian Red a bit more, but feel these are both overrated a bit. Not horrible, but sort of like drinking fruit juice and not terribly complex.

08-16-2012 14:28:42 | More by jmarsh123
SacoDeToro

3.1/5  rDev -28.9%

The aroma of the beer was full of sweet and tart raspberries and some malty sweetness in the background. No hops or alcohol on the nose.

The flavor of the beer was full of cloyingly sweet raspberries with a faint touch of tartness. In fact, it was like drinking carbonated sweet raspberry cider - the non alcoholic kind. Is this really a beer?

The carbonation was adequate, but the mouthfeel was deathly syrupy.

I did not really enjoy this as a beer. If it were bottled as a non-alcoholic raspberry cider, I would have believed it. IMO, it was a syrupy overrated mess, only slightly better than the WBR.

03-18-2008 18:29:57 | More by SacoDeToro
PatYoda

Colorado

3.08/5  rDev -29.4%

Appearance is a nice light red color with pink head and some decent lacing. Very inviting looking. Smell is tons and tons of sweet raspberries and a little bit of mustiness. A little overpowering. Not that I don't like my beer overpowering, but I prefer some complexity, even in a fruit beer. Taste is pure mashed raspberry syrup on the tip of the tongue. It does have some faint mustiness and a lingering tart aspect to keep the sweetness in check, which makes me able to finish almost half the 750, but it's still a struggle. Mouthfeel is very nice and velvety though.

06-01-2005 15:21:44 | More by PatYoda
DaftCaskBC

British Columbia (Canada)

2.93/5  rDev -32.8%

Notes from the 2012 BC Trailer Tasting Camping Tour with Rutager.

A: Cloudy red liquid with cream coloured head.

S: Raspberries, yeast and sour funk.

T: Raspberries up front, but underneath there was a sour funk taste that I could only describe as fish guts.

M: Medium viscosity and carbonation.

O: The funk ruined this beer for me, I thought the bottle may have been ruined; but Rutager didn't pick up on the fishy taste I was getting in the finish. Oh well.

08-30-2012 21:11:19 | More by DaftCaskBC
gonzo46and2

2.9/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a deep and dark ruby red color with a pink head that dissipated quickly.

Aroma is well... full of raspberries of course. It's very different from framboise if you were expecting that however. I got a very distinct preserves type of flavor. Very Smuckers-like I thought.

Taste was very tart and a touch sweet. Malt was not an afterthought either. Very malty. Caramel and toffee.

Body was very full and puckeringly sour at times.

Drinkability was so/so. I liked their Belgian Red cherry beer better but this was a nice dessert beer. Thanks to Kraft for allowing me to try this!

02-06-2009 21:14:46 | More by gonzo46and2
corby112

2.9/5  rDev -33.5%

From notes:

Received in a past trade with WilliamD. Thanks again Will, wherever you are.

Pours a very dark purplish plum/cherry red color with a thin pink foam head that quickly fades leaving no lacing.

Huge raspberry aroma with subtle oak and an overwhelming sweet sugary character. I know they use real fruit but it smells like artificialy flavored syrup.

Medium bodied with very soft, tight carbonation up front and a very sweet cloying raspberry flavor that dominates lingering into a slightly tart dry finish. There's a subtle earthy oak presence but again tastes mostly like artificial raspberry syrup. Just way too sweet and one dimensional for my taste.

05-24-2011 21:43:09 | More by corby112
TATTORSO

2.73/5  rDev -37.4%

Chilled in Champagne flute(s) from a sticky wax dipped 25 oz. bottle.
A gentle pour created a distracting,frothy pink 1 finger head. Similar to a cappuccino foam. Color is a cloudy, ruby red. Towers of tiny bubbles ride up the glass.
Leaves a thin, cloud like lace on the flute.

Smells of ripe, mashed raspberry. Like fresh raspberry sorbet or home made jam.
Mouth is crisp & fizzy sweet ~ not too heavy.
Waaaay too sweet for me. Sharp effervescence get's in the way & it's more like carbonated soda or fruit juice.
Everything screams RASPBERRY up front. Pours with a Wheat consistency but the hops & grain are completely masked & virtually non-existent.

The low ABV is disguised with the fruits overpowering presence. The finish was kinda like the end of a hard raspberry cough drop. Drinkability suffers & I had to keep reminding myself it was BEER.

While I'm certainly not a purist, this was not a preferred or familiar style. I'm really not sure what all the hype is about??? While I found it very different & unique, I was ultimately disappointed based on what I'd heard & read.
New Glarus has a variety of other quality offerings that I find much more enjoyable & appealing.

This would be a good beer to share at a stylish brunch or special celebration. It's a novelty & not a staple. Shared...one was hard to finish.

Don't spill it...it's gonna stain!

07-06-2008 04:06:17 | More by TATTORSO
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

2.68/5  rDev -38.5%

I am going to be with venom here and be the minority on this top 100 beer, but I couldn't stomach this stuff. I popped this open to celebrate my 1-year anniversary with my wife the night before we left for Maui with our wedding cake (raspberry swirl). I poured this into champagne flutes and it came out a deep purple(good band) color with a pink head of bubbles. The aroma was like a kick to the face with fresh raspberries just picked. At this point I was excited to take my first sip. There was an extreme amount of sugar cloyness that left me reaching for a glass of water. The heaviness of the sugar was not pleasant and there was no resemblence to beer coming from this. I love raspberries more than about any fruit and this was too much for me. It felt like I was drinking a can of oregon raspberries in heavy syrup. I know my opinion doesn't count, but this one is way overrated and doesn't even compare to the Belgian Red.

03-10-2005 02:37:49 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
hoptualBrew

2.68/5  rDev -38.5%

750mL bottle shared with girlfriend & poured into a few oversized wine glasses. Deep reddish brown color with a little frothy off white head, retention is nearly absent. No lacing to speak of as consumed, none.

Smells exactly what the name says with addition of a super sweet molasses maple syrup. I am very hesitant to drink with such a powerful smell. I was hoping the taste wasnt as thick as the smell.

Yup, it was. Damn. Cloying sweet & way too thick for my taste. Even my girlfriend was saying how thick it was and definitely a "sipper". More syrup than anything else - ehhh. I was hoping for a much lighter bodied brew from this. A big let down in my opinion for such a celebrated beer. It tasted more like a thick tart wine than a beer - carbonation, where are you?!?!

I am hoping that it was maybe my bottle that was just too old and therefore syrupy. I recieved it in a trade two weeks back and was saving it for an occasion with my girl. I kept it refrigerated at 36 degrees. Idk, I may give it another try in a while. For the moment, very dissapointed in my bottle of Raspberry Tart.

06-23-2011 04:51:19 | More by hoptualBrew
brewmudgeon

Wisconsin

2.6/5  rDev -40.4%

NG raspberry tart

a 3.5 like a slightly muddied blush sparkling wine, foamy head leaves a ring and scant lace.

s 3 if there were such a thing as raspberry cider, this would be it. not the freshest or most vibrant nose, but tolerable.

t 2.5-3 hard to think of this as beer. more like a slightly upscale, and much more expensive, version of something from boone's farm we used to drink back in college. this is sweet and boring, with a little tartness not unlike what they add to a sweet soda.

m 3 about medium bodied, but the sugar builds up.

d 2 not interested in having this again.

01-12-2011 04:08:39 | More by brewmudgeon
mnstorm99

2.55/5  rDev -41.5%

Poured from a 750ml into a white wine glass.

Appearance is red, with a short white head and no lacing to be seen. Aroma is good, nice tart raspberry, not malty at all. Taste is tart raspberry and that really is it, too tart. Over carbonated, almost like a soda very thin . I may have had my first and last of this beer(?) although I am sure I will try it again as my wife really enjoyed it.

01-17-2008 14:00:58 | More by mnstorm99
pbrian

Connecticut

2.48/5  rDev -43.1%

Appearance was a cool looking dark blood red/raspberry with thin rim of pink bubbles. Sweet raspbeery jam aroma with an every so slight tartness. Hey, I might like this beer after all. Taste: all I tasted was sweet raspberry puree. No hints of malt or hops or anything else that makes a beer a beer. "Cloying" doesn't even describe the sticky syrupy mess that stuck to my throat. Maybe a little carbonation wouldv'e helped it dance across tha palate a little better, instead it just coated the mouth with sweetness and nothing else. Mind you- there were no objectionable or "off" flavors, just one-dimensional sweet raspberry ones. It's too bad that this bottle was wasted on me because it seems a lot of people enjoy this "beer" but I found it undrinkable and dumped most of the bottle. The wife even laughed at it.

03-30-2004 15:30:26 | More by pbrian
philipquarles

Connecticut

2.33/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

750ml bottle. Thanks Adam! Pours a slightly hazy, dark red-brown with a fluffy, pinkish head that dies after a bit. Pungent aroma of raspberries; very, very sweet. Sour notes become more noticeable as it warms. Taste is a rush of sugar and fortified raspberry. Cloying, actually. Acidity comes through to balance it a bit, but still finishes very sweetly. Raspberry Tart is a pretty fitting name for this one. The feel is light-medium, but awfully syrupy. As much as I wanted to like this one, it's just too sweet...couldn't actually finish it.

08-21-2009 21:59:40 | More by philipquarles
kscaldef

Oregon

2.15/5  rDev -50.7%

A: Pours brownish red, minimal fast-fading head, lots of active bubbles in the liquid.

S: Strong raspberry aroma, jam-like and somewhat artificial. Pretty one-note, but I suppose that what they were aiming for.

T: Juice. Sparkling juice. Did the yeast attenuate this at all? Tastes like sweet wine or cider. No beer-like aspects to my tongue. Finishes with a distinct zing.

M: High carbonation. Lots of residual sweetness. Sticky finish.

O: As this warms up, it just gets more oppressively sweet to the point that my stomach is starting to get a bit upset. Perhaps if you frequently drink juice and soda and want a beer that's as sweet as them, this is an appealing beverage, but it's not at all for me.

05-09-2012 01:00:18 | More by kscaldef