Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 888 | Hads: 3,385
3.84/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750mL bottle. Awesome.

A: Swirling pour yields a dense foam head and a very bright red body with purple tones.

N: Raspberry syrup, maraschino cherries, sugar, and some marionberry. Very very fruity.

T: Super, super sweet with a sour tone to balance.

M: Light and well carbonated.

O: A dessert beer if there ever was one. Pair with rhubarb pie or something of that nature. Will become too much after time, despite the ABV. (431 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.8%

Alright, so I put off this review long enough. Save it for a special occasion, save it for that perfect time, save it...

Dude, you don't even celebrate your own birthday. :sigh:

Strawberry foam, bubbles like a honey comb, the beer is the color & density of fruit preserves. Even as the head vanishes, the surface looks a bit uneven. It wobbles a little like half stiff Jello. I put the butter knife & English muffin away & get to work.

An intense shot of strawberry & raspberry Smuckers gurgles up the back of my sinuses. Actually it smells more like the poor man's Chambord, Chateau Monet. :P Seems just a little bit stronger then 4% should. There's a little stiffness on those full breaths I'm taking. Loads of sugar. You can just smell the Domino truck parked on the corner getting sticky in the hot afternoon sun.

Tart upfront with a slight bitter rind, a good amount of acidity, a strong spritz of carbonation, & a very mild grain finish. Almost like soda, but so much fuller. The sugar isn't overwhelming at any point, & isn't really the focus. It could of actually used a touch more sweetness, but maybe that's just what I'm in the mood for right now.

Served ice cold it is far less acidic then when it is warm. It gets a little too sharp with heat & slows my pace. Drastic differences in drinkability within fifteen degrees of separation. Loads of zesty bitterness & weight behind every sip. I breathe a little heavy after finishing off the bottle. :)

Thanks to both kmpitz2 & Pitmonkey for temporarily satisfying my gluttony. :) (1,543 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Date: 2 April 2011
Glass: 26fl oz snifter
Type: 750ml bottle, waxed and capped

Split between two 26fl oz snifters and shared with my girlfriend, poured aggressively, half-finger head reduces to thin wispy film, lacing is scarce but sticky, color is a clear crimson with copper tones.

Aroma is slightly medicinal in raspberry and has a touch of soapiness. Other than that, a bit of strawberry jam comes out.

Taste is....well this is certainly a fruit beer. Huge raspberry jam is the forerunner, and at only 4% ABV there is a bitterness that I think can be mistaken for ABV. This fruit beer is overwhelmingly tasty in fruit flavor, but it is impossible for me to identify any kind of hops or malt profile.

This tart leaves the palate completely dry and puckered like a mature red wine. Overall, I can't see myself drinking a full beer and enjoying it. Perhaps after a dessert, yes, but this is only a good beer for offering as a unique tasting to your friends. (962 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -12%

Props to Blake (kickinthechalice) for sending me this bottle! Great trader and excellent beers sent, this is my first taste of the package that I received, oh... 2 hours ago.

Appearance: Beautiful garnet color with a pale pink head. The head is pretty minimal, though on the second pour, I poured a lot harder and got about a finger's worth. The head dissipates quickly my there is some lacing

Aroma: Deep raspberry aroma with a definite alcohol note when first poured, which I found interesting since it is only 4.0% ABV. It has a winey smell to it, which I guess isn't too surprising. Some malts and oakiness in the background

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wow, that raspberry taste is right up front. Feels super creamy in the mouth with a bite of carbonation. The "Tart" part is right on - there is a definite tangy sourness to the beer that hits you on the back side. The wine aroma in the nose is evident in the taste as well. Every sip I take, it taste more and more like raspberry jam. I feel like I can even taste the flavor of the seeds within the jam, it's that right on. I like it.

Drinkability: Not sure what to saw about drinkability - it's a light beer but the heavy raspberry taste and sweetness would get overpowering for me after one glass. (1,251 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a dark burgundy in color. Nice, good looking inch of head at the pour. Smell is juicy, tart raspberry.
Taste is tart, sweet, dark, wonderful raspberries. A little acidic on the taste as well. Very good beer. As tough as it is to say, I think I personally prefer the Belgian Red to this. Both are incredible. (313 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Bring on the raspberries and brown sugar! That's what I get in the nose. Fresh hot bowl of oatmeal delivered fresh to your nose with dallop of caramelized brown sugar and a heaping of fresh raspberries.

A deep burgundy/purple color, it almost looks like a Shiraz.

Very low hop flavor; this beer is dominated by sweetness. It lends a cloying and viscous mouthfeel, one that does not sit very well with me.

I love the complexity and uniquness of this beer, but it tastes too much like a wine cooler for me to love. I just can't handle all of the fruit. I'd love to see a hopped up version of this beer. But hey, I'm jaded! (629 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

750 ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear but deep maroon color. The pour produces one finger of light pink head that quickly receeds and leaves no lace.

A: Raspberries all the way with this one, what else would you expect. There is a distinct earthiness similer to the Belgian Red. Some sweet syurp, and grassy hops come in as well.

T: Taste again is all raspberries. The earthy hops, and sweet malts are noticeable, but the sweet berries are what this beer is about. It finishes dry and tart.

M: Very good amount of carbonation, gives this medium bodied beer a little bite at the back end.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is low for me, due to the overpowering sweetness and strong raspberry taste. Overall, I like this one about equally as much as Belgian Red. Very good desert beer, but not one I would session. Good, not great. Skal. (857 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a bottle received in a trade from the very generous CooperEllis, right into my Bruery tulip.

Looks: the beer glistens in my glass, only slightly chill-hazed, reflecting beautiful hues of purplish crimson akin to cranberry juice. An ethereal group of grayish bubbles fizz up seconds after the pour but vanish just as quickly.

Smells: the nose is raspberry puree all the way, like a giant jar of fresh preserves of the berry. Maybe also some cranberries and grapes. A bit of balsamic vinegar shows itself more as the beer warms. Very sweet, lightly tart. There's not much else to it, but what else do you need?

Tastes: like liquified raspberries. A flavor like sparkling cran-ras cocktail leads until sugary, syrupy flavors wash in mid-palate. A mild tartness then arrives, gripping the sides of the tongue through the finish. When enjoyed colder, it exhibits a cola-like flavor that I dig.

Feels: syrupy. Subtly carbonated, medium-bodied.

Drinks: one-dimensionally. As displays of a particular fruit go in beer, it doesn't get much better than this one. However, I wish more of the beer was allowed to shine through. As it is, it's lacking in complexity and is just a tad sweet and for my tastes. (1,217 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle split four ways and poured into Teku Glass. Thanks Josh (thebigredone) for this one!

A- Pours a dark slightly translucent reddish with a slight purplish hue to it, a thin head forms that fairly quickly recedes leaving some spotty lacing, fairly minimal but consistent carbonation.

S- Very sweet raspberry almost like a syrupy jam-like sweetness. Fairly aromatic, but a little bit too much on the sweet side.

T- Lightly tart raspberry jam with a light malt backbone, fairly sweet (but not as sweet as the other NG fruit beers I've had) and a little bit one-dimensional. Tasty and a decent level of tartness that plays well with the sweet raspberry jam, just a little bit too sweet in my opinion though.

M- Fairly light but a tiny bit syrupy, nice carbonation, easy drinking.

O- This was my favorite of the NG fruit beers besides the apple. I thought it was good, but a little bit too much on the sweet side. I do think having this in my cellar for a few months did help tone the sweetness down a little bit however it was still a little bit too much for my liking. To my liking I could picture this being a little bit better with a year on it (some people might not agree though). Overall I thought it was decent but not something I would seek out again, I can see how a lot of people really like this beer though. (1,332 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

THanks to leakyfaucet12 for the chance at this one.

Very light fizzy head disappears faster than I can say head, mostly clear raspberry reddish brownish burnt sienna color.

Nose explodes with raspberries, light sweet syrup, touch off light malts, a bit candy, fresh raspberry juice and tart raspberry wine like.

Taste starts fairly sweet and gets more and more sweet until just overwhelming. Plenty of raspberry puree, light raspberry candy, bit of a tingly flavor and feel with some acidity and lactic, bit syrupy and very sweet, a bit of tart fruit, rich. Finishes with some light musty tart and bit sticky syrupy raspberry and bright berry fruit light spicy feel. Very jammy and way too sweet. Very little tartness.

Mouth is fairly light, bit if spicy acidic feel, decent carb, and just slides around the mouth nicely.

Drink is very meh, sooo sweet, just too sweet and barely tart, bit of a sticky finish and a bit syrupy, some acidity, and jammy. (955 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer is overly sweet with almost the taste of raspberry extract. After swallowing you get almost a acidic burn from the sourness that is completely masked with so much sugar and raspberry syrup/extract taste. I dumped this beer out. To each his own. (253 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

750 ml bottle which was brought back to me by UHRHAN on his Wisco / Minnesota brewery tour.

A - Very dark red with little to no head.

S - Lots of raspberries. You get nothing else, but in your face raspberries. Great smell.

T & M - Carbonated similar to a champagne. Light bodied. Full of raspberry flavor. Wouldn't even describe this as a beer - definitely a framboise.

Overall - You know, it is what it is. If you are looking for a raspberry type wheat beer, this isn't it. It's definitely similar to a framboise with lots of carbonation. This is a great beer to share, similar to a bottle of champagne - great dessert treat or one to drink with others while enjoying some cheese and crackers - hell, it is from Wisconsin after all. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but it's not because I disliked it, just not my favorite style of beer. (846 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

Thanks to emerge077 for this bottle via trade at DLD this year. Split with the wife.

Pours a dark dark ruby red. Small pinkish purple foam on the top of this one. As my wife said "Looks fruity!"

Smell of raspberry puree. Wonderful fresh raspberry smell, kinda like homemade jam.

Taste is Whoa! Raspberrys in your face! Kinda sourish, tartish yum. Not too sweet, just tart raspberries. The best way to describe it is thinking of what you would experience if you could cram an entire pound of fresh raspberries in your mouth at once, and bit down. Grand.

This is probably the first "fruit" beer that I actually enjoyed. I would seek this out again, but obviously not an everyday type of beer. (695 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -13.2%

Thanks to rayjay for this one.

A: Dark ruby red with a small pinkish head that leaves a small ring of lacings.

S: Dominated by genuine raspberry aromas with nicely complementing notes of grass, earth and fruit pits. This brewery really knows how to make fruit beers that smell like fruit.

T: Lots of fruity sweetness and raspberries all around. A fruity tartness counterweights the sweetness together and develops together with notes of earth and seeds. I might pick up a hint of chocolate as well, but I might be fooling myself. The finish is dry with sweet and tart raspberry notes. The finish is really great, very well done.

M: Medium body, decent carbonation and a slick dry finish.

D: Good. A raspberry bomb. Very intensive, and I'm very impressed that a beer with such low ABV can showcase such strong flavors. This one would probably work well as a dessert or coupled with dessert. But I wouldn't want to drink too much of it, one glass is enough.

Since it is hard not comparing this one the Wisconsin Belgian Red, I must say that I preferred this one. (1,066 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours...well...a raspberry color. Maybe a light ruby. Soft, 2 finger khaki head settles in to a film on top.

S- Big fruity raspberry notes, almost like the pop tarts I ate as a kid. Rhubarb pie. Hints of champagne. So enticing, so bold.

T- Unprecedented sweetness. Heavy on the "raspberry", light on the "tart". Reminds me of the carbonated fruit water. Sticky at times.

M- Mid side of light body, really tingles as it goes down and a slight carbonation burn in the throat.

O- Not bad, but the feel really left me wanting more. Maybe just a little too sweet for my palate. Quality raspberry character, but some odd aspects along the way. A little bit goes a long ways. Share the bottle with friends over desert (721 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

I'm reviewing this simultaneously with the Lindemans Fram-bwaz, raspberry vs. raspberry.

Raspberry Tart is a turbid, raspberry puree-looking liquid. Not a whole lot of head or lacing. Think tomato juice, only with raspberries instead of tomatoes. It smells like candied raspberries, as opposed to the Lindemans' fresh raspberries. Still good, just not quite as good, and I don't think it smells nearly as strong as its cousin, the Wisconsin Belgian Red.

Taste isn't even all that sweet, and has an uncomfortable vegetable character lurking underneath. You can actually tasted some toasted maltiness in the finish.

Heavy, full mouthfeel is a little off-putting, though I guess this supposed to be more "beery" than a lambic.

Maybe I just don't like raspberries as much as cherries, because I liked the Belgian Red much more than this. Then again, I liked the Lindemans Fram-bwaz more than either, so perhaps Raspberry Tart is the weak link in New Glarus' fruit beer chain. (983 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

750 ml bottle. This beer pours out a thickish looking deep purple. The bubbly head fades quickly. Big raspberry aroma. Syrupy raspberry flavor. The raspberries coat the mouth and becomes cloying. Still, the flavor is not artificial, so although it's a bit much, it's still tasty. I do not find this beer to be very drinkable. One glass is plenty. As far as fruit beers go, this is pretty good, but it does not seem much like beer. I prefer the Wisconsin Belgian Red. (466 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this with me after getting it on our jaunt up to Wisconsin.

This beer as expected pours a nice ruby red color with the slightest of pink head on the surface that fades away rather swiftly. The smell is of tart raspberries (surprised? I know!). It may actually be my imagination, but I believe in the tail end i smell a buttery character. The combined smell is of a nice raspberry pie. The taste, well, I'm fairly certain I'm not drinking beer, but the label says that I am. The flavor obviously consists of raspberries, now the good thing about it is that it doesn't taste of the raspberry extract that many brewers use. It tastes of real raspberries and that is to its credit, you can definitely taste the difference. The mouthfeel is a little too syrupy for my liking, but it does carbonate well. The drinkability for me faded rather quickly. What started as something easy to drink got progressively harder, for it seemed the beer grew more sour on the palate. The caveat is that I'm not a fruit beer guy. If you are, go for it, this is a pretty good creation. (1,130 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to badbeer for this trade a DLD last year.

A ton of carbonation sticking to the edges of the glass at first creates an inch of tan head that fades to a skim in just a couple of minutes. Body is a very deep brown with a bit of a murky hue. A fragrent nose brings about thoughts of raspberry chewy candy and a bit of candied malt. Enters the mouth with a long creamy tart feel. Notes of crisp apples, fresh raspberries, and even end a nice mellow malty sweetness is faint on the end of the palate. A very lengthy fresh sour feel is prominate on the finish and creates a pleasant mouthfeel. I speak a lot of the sour and tartness of this beer but it is not to harsh but well balanced with a touch of woodsy malt sweetness. Enjoyable for the style but drinkability says I still need to share the bottle with a friend. Another beer for the sour, tart brew fans. (864 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

had this beer for a few months and just sat on it, really excited to try it for the first time. i received this in one of my first trades, not even sure from who... sorry and thanks!!

a- cherry red to mahogany. basically no head, little carbonation and no lacing. hmmm.

s- well raspberries are there for sure, sour funk, and some vanilla yogurt.

t&m- a little let down but not bad at all, lots and lots of pureed raspberries, a tad bit funky, theres a sort of cold metal taste that is present and lingers. finishes like the name states, tart. very much like a raspberry liquid jolly rancher.

d- as its getting warmer i find i like it better, the more it was cold the more of that metal taste i was getting. it seems the taste gets overly redundant and that sour/tart taste at the end gets harder and harder to put down at the back end of this brew. (852 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

Thank you to a friend for hooking me up. No clue how he got, but I'm glad I was able to acquire a bottle from him.

APPEARANCE: Pours into an Allagash tulip a dark burgundy red with a slightly darker than white head. It's takes a turbid pour to get going and ends up as a hearty collar with some splotchy bubbling.

SMELL: The smell is full of raspberries - both the real fruit kind and an extract-like kind. It's only slightly tart and funky and not much else.

TASTE: Again, major raspberry all around. It's slightly sweeter than one would like, but the tartness helps to give it some balance. There should be more to say, but mostly it would say "Raspberries!" This beer doesn't screw around.

MOUTHFEEL: Quite thick and syrupy with a low carbonation. I wish at least one of those 2 would be the opposite in order to lighten the beer up a bit.

DRINKABILITY: It's really delicious, but is probably a 'one of'. I'm definitely glad I split my bottle of this. This would be great paired with a dessert.

I'm feeling lucky I got to try this beer, but because of the effort involved getting it, I doubt I'll be having another for a while. (1,136 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

was really looking forward to drinking this one after trying the belgian red, and was not nearly as satisfied with it. very sweet, rasberry flavor just doesnt seem to work as well as the cherry did in the belgian red. was hoping for some tartness that wasnt there, just fruity sweetness. not a terrible beer, just not what i was hoping for (339 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

A: Deep purple, cherry hues. Off white head is slow to form but quickly gains momentum. Head eventually fades to almost nothing.

S: Raspberry puree, slight musty character, a bit vinous. Comes off sugary as well.

T: Much like a carbonated fruit juice. Im thinking of a much more complex wine cooler, really. I cant shake the feeling that something is missing. Initial sweet raspberry flavors indicate some sort of punch mid sip, but the sugar and fruit juice just keeps on rolling. Not much tartness or funk, in this regard. As the glass warmed, however, I did notice more complexities including some red wine barrel. Slight mustiness from the nose also made an appearance in the finish as the glass warmed.

M: Not as thin as one would expect. Carbonation seemed surprisingly low, which detracted from drinkability given the style.

O: Pretty good. Again, I initially felt like something was missing here, though I settled right in and finished the bottle. For all of its sweetness, this beer could use a lot more carbonation to carry it along nicely. (1,055 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%

Shared this bottle with some family.

The beer is ruby red with slight head frosty head

The aroma is a tart almost as a sour but raspberry very sweet and very fresh.

The taste is a full of raspberries and more raspberries, but malt does make an appearance in the taste come in after the carbonation builds nice (313 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%

A gift from my girl, I saved this one for a relaxing afternoon. So came such an afternoon in August and I chilled my beer in the fridge. Upon opening the large pint plus sized bottle, I was bombarded with the smell of raspberries! And thus begins the review.

The appearance looks more like a deep red, almost burgundy, cider. The head is minimal and dissipates quickly leaving a light lacing of tiny, almost champagne quality bubbles where the brew meets the glass.

The smell is of course that of raspberries. It reeks of raspberries! It's lovely fruity aroma reminds me of raspberry preserves, though not as thick. This aluring aroma entices my sweet-tooth and prompts me to take a taste.

Attack of the sun ripened raspberries comes to mind. The flavor is a full-on assault of raspberry goodness. Every aspect of the flavor of a raspberry is there from its tart and tangy zing to its candy-like sweetness. And through it all, you can still register, mostly in the finish, the ale that this advertises itself to be. A tiny but of the bitters come through and mix with the standard berry tartness at the end to give this ale a dry, acidic finish.

The mouthfeel reminds me of that of a nice champagne, and in retrospect, the finish does as well though not as tannic. To expound upon this, the carbonation is constant and about the same as that of a cider. The dryness left at the end is very much the same as well.

This is an enjoyable, sweet beer. If I may say so, this would be the perfect end to a light summer meal served with some plain or walnut short-bread. Pair it with a salad or some crusty bread for a winning combo. I would definitely recommend this to friends and family though it would be a real hit with the younger crowd and many of the ladies. (1,773 characters)

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company