Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

Wants: 1,177
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 896 | Hads: 3,468
3.86/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Tulip glass.

A: Pours with a half finger of off white head, on a body which is dark, murky brown-tinted amber. So-so retention.

S: Loads of jammy raspberry, a little malt character.

T: Similar, with a mild tartness which supports the fruit flavor, with a moderate amount of sweetness. The sweetness overpowers the tartness and so it's not quite as in balance as it could be.

M: Medium-full body and medium-high, sharp, champagne-like carbonation which really enhances the mouthfeel. Mouthcoating.

O: This is extremely drinkable for the first 8oz or so, and then the reality of drinking straight-up raspberry jam begins to hit you. A fruity dessert beer of sorts. So this is probably a 4.25 for the first 8oz and 3.75 for the next Xoz.

3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

Raspberries are definitely not my thing, but I discovered this beer had much pleasure to offer. A full 750 would have been too much for me, and probably would be too much for any one person. Fortunately, I had HiroProtagonist and his fiancee with which to split the bottle, and it ended up being the perfect amount. A dark ruby red, with twinges of hot pink both towards the edges and in the small head. Naturally, the smell was overwhelmingly raspberries. The fruit sweetness was undeniable, especially right off the bat, but towards the end of the flavor profile, it turned more tart (tarter?) and led to a puckering finish that was the high point for me. Quite similar to Lindeman's but noticeably less fizzy, more substantial; a rich, fluid, velvety mouthfeel. The entire beer (especially the tart finish) enlivened the taste buds to an amazing degree (better as an aperitif than dessert). What impressed me most was how fresh the raspberry taste seemed, practically fresh off the bush. The lack of any noticeable "beer" flavors definitely had me out of my element, and I found a little went a long way, so as to affect drinkability. Regardless, I found much to enjoy, particularly in the skilled blend of sweet and sour.

3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a ruby red color with a one finger white head with a slight pinkish tint. Moderate head retention with some lacing.

S: This has a very sweet smell. Almost smells like cherry flavored ice cream syrup. Some raspberries come through in the smell, but not that much.

T: Thankfully this one got a little more tart and a little less sweet as it warmed up and I progressed through the drink. Up front the beer tastes like a strong apple cider. Then midway through the raspberries come through as does some sourness. Lastly, it finishes with a bit of a syrupy taste.

M: This has a great mouthfeel. Perfect level of carbonation.

D: The drinkability is severely limited by the sweetness. Otherwise, this is an interesting and good brew, although it tastes more like a cider than a beer in my opinion.

3.84/5  rDev -11.5%

750 ml bottle from brewery into one of their flutes.

A - Rather dark red color when help up to the light, with fleeting head.

S - Rapsberry is present, and lots of cream. Smells like yogurt, only on steroids. Tart and sweet.

T - Tastes like raspberries with sugar on them. Some lactic qualities were noted. Finishes quite clean. Textbook American fruit beer.

M - Not quite as crisp as I would have expected, but not watery by any means either.

D - I think more than a flute and a half of this would be too much for me, and I have a sweetooth. The 750ml size might be a little bit of overkill, but find four friends, and enjoy...

3.84/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a murky, very opaque beet red with no head. Looks like vegetable juice of some sort...

Smell: 100% fresh, tart raspberries. Nice.

Taste: The name says it all. Big time fresh raspberry flavor that is more tart than it is sweet, which I like. It really doesn't taste like beer at all. I don't think there is anything else to pick up in the way of flavor... It's like getting punched in the mouth by a bunch of fresh raspberries!

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy and the sweetness/tartness is a bit much at times. Very sour aftertaste that leaves the mouth very dry and kinda sticky.

Drinkability: Hard to drink more than a sip at a time. Too thick, sweet and tart to drink more quickly, but I don't think this beer was intended to be more than a sipper.

Nice dessert beer. You might want to find someone to share a bottle with, it is a bit too sweet and tart for me to take down a whole bottle. If you live in the area, it's worth picking up.

3.84/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750mL bottle. Awesome.

A: Swirling pour yields a dense foam head and a very bright red body with purple tones.

N: Raspberry syrup, maraschino cherries, sugar, and some marionberry. Very very fruity.

T: Super, super sweet with a sour tone to balance.

M: Light and well carbonated.

O: A dessert beer if there ever was one. Pair with rhubarb pie or something of that nature. Will become too much after time, despite the ABV.

3.82/5  rDev -12%

Alright, so I put off this review long enough. Save it for a special occasion, save it for that perfect time, save it...

Dude, you don't even celebrate your own birthday. :sigh:

Strawberry foam, bubbles like a honey comb, the beer is the color & density of fruit preserves. Even as the head vanishes, the surface looks a bit uneven. It wobbles a little like half stiff Jello. I put the butter knife & English muffin away & get to work.

An intense shot of strawberry & raspberry Smuckers gurgles up the back of my sinuses. Actually it smells more like the poor man's Chambord, Chateau Monet. :P Seems just a little bit stronger then 4% should. There's a little stiffness on those full breaths I'm taking. Loads of sugar. You can just smell the Domino truck parked on the corner getting sticky in the hot afternoon sun.

Tart upfront with a slight bitter rind, a good amount of acidity, a strong spritz of carbonation, & a very mild grain finish. Almost like soda, but so much fuller. The sugar isn't overwhelming at any point, & isn't really the focus. It could of actually used a touch more sweetness, but maybe that's just what I'm in the mood for right now.

Served ice cold it is far less acidic then when it is warm. It gets a little too sharp with heat & slows my pace. Drastic differences in drinkability within fifteen degrees of separation. Loads of zesty bitterness & weight behind every sip. I breathe a little heavy after finishing off the bottle. :)

Thanks to both kmpitz2 & Pitmonkey for temporarily satisfying my gluttony. :)

3.82/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Date: 2 April 2011
Glass: 26fl oz snifter
Type: 750ml bottle, waxed and capped

Split between two 26fl oz snifters and shared with my girlfriend, poured aggressively, half-finger head reduces to thin wispy film, lacing is scarce but sticky, color is a clear crimson with copper tones.

Aroma is slightly medicinal in raspberry and has a touch of soapiness. Other than that, a bit of strawberry jam comes out.

Taste is....well this is certainly a fruit beer. Huge raspberry jam is the forerunner, and at only 4% ABV there is a bitterness that I think can be mistaken for ABV. This fruit beer is overwhelmingly tasty in fruit flavor, but it is impossible for me to identify any kind of hops or malt profile.

This tart leaves the palate completely dry and puckered like a mature red wine. Overall, I can't see myself drinking a full beer and enjoying it. Perhaps after a dessert, yes, but this is only a good beer for offering as a unique tasting to your friends.

3.81/5  rDev -12.2%

Props to Blake (kickinthechalice) for sending me this bottle! Great trader and excellent beers sent, this is my first taste of the package that I received, oh... 2 hours ago.

Appearance: Beautiful garnet color with a pale pink head. The head is pretty minimal, though on the second pour, I poured a lot harder and got about a finger's worth. The head dissipates quickly my there is some lacing

Aroma: Deep raspberry aroma with a definite alcohol note when first poured, which I found interesting since it is only 4.0% ABV. It has a winey smell to it, which I guess isn't too surprising. Some malts and oakiness in the background

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wow, that raspberry taste is right up front. Feels super creamy in the mouth with a bite of carbonation. The "Tart" part is right on - there is a definite tangy sourness to the beer that hits you on the back side. The wine aroma in the nose is evident in the taste as well. Every sip I take, it taste more and more like raspberry jam. I feel like I can even taste the flavor of the seeds within the jam, it's that right on. I like it.

Drinkability: Not sure what to saw about drinkability - it's a light beer but the heavy raspberry taste and sweetness would get overpowering for me after one glass.

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a dark burgundy in color. Nice, good looking inch of head at the pour. Smell is juicy, tart raspberry.
Taste is tart, sweet, dark, wonderful raspberries. A little acidic on the taste as well. Very good beer. As tough as it is to say, I think I personally prefer the Belgian Red to this. Both are incredible.

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Bring on the raspberries and brown sugar! That's what I get in the nose. Fresh hot bowl of oatmeal delivered fresh to your nose with dallop of caramelized brown sugar and a heaping of fresh raspberries.

A deep burgundy/purple color, it almost looks like a Shiraz.

Very low hop flavor; this beer is dominated by sweetness. It lends a cloying and viscous mouthfeel, one that does not sit very well with me.

I love the complexity and uniquness of this beer, but it tastes too much like a wine cooler for me to love. I just can't handle all of the fruit. I'd love to see a hopped up version of this beer. But hey, I'm jaded!

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

750 ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear but deep maroon color. The pour produces one finger of light pink head that quickly receeds and leaves no lace.

A: Raspberries all the way with this one, what else would you expect. There is a distinct earthiness similer to the Belgian Red. Some sweet syurp, and grassy hops come in as well.

T: Taste again is all raspberries. The earthy hops, and sweet malts are noticeable, but the sweet berries are what this beer is about. It finishes dry and tart.

M: Very good amount of carbonation, gives this medium bodied beer a little bite at the back end.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is low for me, due to the overpowering sweetness and strong raspberry taste. Overall, I like this one about equally as much as Belgian Red. Very good desert beer, but not one I would session. Good, not great. Skal.

3.79/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a bottle received in a trade from the very generous CooperEllis, right into my Bruery tulip.

Looks: the beer glistens in my glass, only slightly chill-hazed, reflecting beautiful hues of purplish crimson akin to cranberry juice. An ethereal group of grayish bubbles fizz up seconds after the pour but vanish just as quickly.

Smells: the nose is raspberry puree all the way, like a giant jar of fresh preserves of the berry. Maybe also some cranberries and grapes. A bit of balsamic vinegar shows itself more as the beer warms. Very sweet, lightly tart. There's not much else to it, but what else do you need?

Tastes: like liquified raspberries. A flavor like sparkling cran-ras cocktail leads until sugary, syrupy flavors wash in mid-palate. A mild tartness then arrives, gripping the sides of the tongue through the finish. When enjoyed colder, it exhibits a cola-like flavor that I dig.

Feels: syrupy. Subtly carbonated, medium-bodied.

Drinks: one-dimensionally. As displays of a particular fruit go in beer, it doesn't get much better than this one. However, I wish more of the beer was allowed to shine through. As it is, it's lacking in complexity and is just a tad sweet and for my tastes.

3.78/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle split four ways and poured into Teku Glass. Thanks Josh (thebigredone) for this one!

A- Pours a dark slightly translucent reddish with a slight purplish hue to it, a thin head forms that fairly quickly recedes leaving some spotty lacing, fairly minimal but consistent carbonation.

S- Very sweet raspberry almost like a syrupy jam-like sweetness. Fairly aromatic, but a little bit too much on the sweet side.

T- Lightly tart raspberry jam with a light malt backbone, fairly sweet (but not as sweet as the other NG fruit beers I've had) and a little bit one-dimensional. Tasty and a decent level of tartness that plays well with the sweet raspberry jam, just a little bit too sweet in my opinion though.

M- Fairly light but a tiny bit syrupy, nice carbonation, easy drinking.

O- This was my favorite of the NG fruit beers besides the apple. I thought it was good, but a little bit too much on the sweet side. I do think having this in my cellar for a few months did help tone the sweetness down a little bit however it was still a little bit too much for my liking. To my liking I could picture this being a little bit better with a year on it (some people might not agree though). Overall I thought it was decent but not something I would seek out again, I can see how a lot of people really like this beer though.

3.77/5  rDev -13.1%

THanks to leakyfaucet12 for the chance at this one.

Very light fizzy head disappears faster than I can say head, mostly clear raspberry reddish brownish burnt sienna color.

Nose explodes with raspberries, light sweet syrup, touch off light malts, a bit candy, fresh raspberry juice and tart raspberry wine like.

Taste starts fairly sweet and gets more and more sweet until just overwhelming. Plenty of raspberry puree, light raspberry candy, bit of a tingly flavor and feel with some acidity and lactic, bit syrupy and very sweet, a bit of tart fruit, rich. Finishes with some light musty tart and bit sticky syrupy raspberry and bright berry fruit light spicy feel. Very jammy and way too sweet. Very little tartness.

Mouth is fairly light, bit if spicy acidic feel, decent carb, and just slides around the mouth nicely.

Drink is very meh, sooo sweet, just too sweet and barely tart, bit of a sticky finish and a bit syrupy, some acidity, and jammy.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer is overly sweet with almost the taste of raspberry extract. After swallowing you get almost a acidic burn from the sourness that is completely masked with so much sugar and raspberry syrup/extract taste. I dumped this beer out. To each his own.

3.77/5  rDev -13.1%

750 ml bottle which was brought back to me by UHRHAN on his Wisco / Minnesota brewery tour.

A - Very dark red with little to no head.

S - Lots of raspberries. You get nothing else, but in your face raspberries. Great smell.

T & M - Carbonated similar to a champagne. Light bodied. Full of raspberry flavor. Wouldn't even describe this as a beer - definitely a framboise.

Overall - You know, it is what it is. If you are looking for a raspberry type wheat beer, this isn't it. It's definitely similar to a framboise with lots of carbonation. This is a great beer to share, similar to a bottle of champagne - great dessert treat or one to drink with others while enjoying some cheese and crackers - hell, it is from Wisconsin after all. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but it's not because I disliked it, just not my favorite style of beer.

3.77/5  rDev -13.1%

Thanks to emerge077 for this bottle via trade at DLD this year. Split with the wife.

Pours a dark dark ruby red. Small pinkish purple foam on the top of this one. As my wife said "Looks fruity!"

Smell of raspberry puree. Wonderful fresh raspberry smell, kinda like homemade jam.

Taste is Whoa! Raspberrys in your face! Kinda sourish, tartish yum. Not too sweet, just tart raspberries. The best way to describe it is thinking of what you would experience if you could cram an entire pound of fresh raspberries in your mouth at once, and bit down. Grand.

This is probably the first "fruit" beer that I actually enjoyed. I would seek this out again, but obviously not an everyday type of beer.

3.76/5  rDev -13.4%

Thanks to rayjay for this one.

A: Dark ruby red with a small pinkish head that leaves a small ring of lacings.

S: Dominated by genuine raspberry aromas with nicely complementing notes of grass, earth and fruit pits. This brewery really knows how to make fruit beers that smell like fruit.

T: Lots of fruity sweetness and raspberries all around. A fruity tartness counterweights the sweetness together and develops together with notes of earth and seeds. I might pick up a hint of chocolate as well, but I might be fooling myself. The finish is dry with sweet and tart raspberry notes. The finish is really great, very well done.

M: Medium body, decent carbonation and a slick dry finish.

D: Good. A raspberry bomb. Very intensive, and I'm very impressed that a beer with such low ABV can showcase such strong flavors. This one would probably work well as a dessert or coupled with dessert. But I wouldn't want to drink too much of it, one glass is enough.

Since it is hard not comparing this one the Wisconsin Belgian Red, I must say that I preferred this one.

3.76/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours...well...a raspberry color. Maybe a light ruby. Soft, 2 finger khaki head settles in to a film on top.

S- Big fruity raspberry notes, almost like the pop tarts I ate as a kid. Rhubarb pie. Hints of champagne. So enticing, so bold.

T- Unprecedented sweetness. Heavy on the "raspberry", light on the "tart". Reminds me of the carbonated fruit water. Sticky at times.

M- Mid side of light body, really tingles as it goes down and a slight carbonation burn in the throat.

O- Not bad, but the feel really left me wanting more. Maybe just a little too sweet for my palate. Quality raspberry character, but some odd aspects along the way. A little bit goes a long ways. Share the bottle with friends over desert

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

I'm reviewing this simultaneously with the Lindemans Fram-bwaz, raspberry vs. raspberry.

Raspberry Tart is a turbid, raspberry puree-looking liquid. Not a whole lot of head or lacing. Think tomato juice, only with raspberries instead of tomatoes. It smells like candied raspberries, as opposed to the Lindemans' fresh raspberries. Still good, just not quite as good, and I don't think it smells nearly as strong as its cousin, the Wisconsin Belgian Red.

Taste isn't even all that sweet, and has an uncomfortable vegetable character lurking underneath. You can actually tasted some toasted maltiness in the finish.

Heavy, full mouthfeel is a little off-putting, though I guess this supposed to be more "beery" than a lambic.

Maybe I just don't like raspberries as much as cherries, because I liked the Belgian Red much more than this. Then again, I liked the Lindemans Fram-bwaz more than either, so perhaps Raspberry Tart is the weak link in New Glarus' fruit beer chain.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

750 ml bottle. This beer pours out a thickish looking deep purple. The bubbly head fades quickly. Big raspberry aroma. Syrupy raspberry flavor. The raspberries coat the mouth and becomes cloying. Still, the flavor is not artificial, so although it's a bit much, it's still tasty. I do not find this beer to be very drinkable. One glass is plenty. As far as fruit beers go, this is pretty good, but it does not seem much like beer. I prefer the Wisconsin Belgian Red.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this with me after getting it on our jaunt up to Wisconsin.

This beer as expected pours a nice ruby red color with the slightest of pink head on the surface that fades away rather swiftly. The smell is of tart raspberries (surprised? I know!). It may actually be my imagination, but I believe in the tail end i smell a buttery character. The combined smell is of a nice raspberry pie. The taste, well, I'm fairly certain I'm not drinking beer, but the label says that I am. The flavor obviously consists of raspberries, now the good thing about it is that it doesn't taste of the raspberry extract that many brewers use. It tastes of real raspberries and that is to its credit, you can definitely taste the difference. The mouthfeel is a little too syrupy for my liking, but it does carbonate well. The drinkability for me faded rather quickly. What started as something easy to drink got progressively harder, for it seemed the beer grew more sour on the palate. The caveat is that I'm not a fruit beer guy. If you are, go for it, this is a pretty good creation.

3.74/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to badbeer for this trade a DLD last year.

A ton of carbonation sticking to the edges of the glass at first creates an inch of tan head that fades to a skim in just a couple of minutes. Body is a very deep brown with a bit of a murky hue. A fragrent nose brings about thoughts of raspberry chewy candy and a bit of candied malt. Enters the mouth with a long creamy tart feel. Notes of crisp apples, fresh raspberries, and even end a nice mellow malty sweetness is faint on the end of the palate. A very lengthy fresh sour feel is prominate on the finish and creates a pleasant mouthfeel. I speak a lot of the sour and tartness of this beer but it is not to harsh but well balanced with a touch of woodsy malt sweetness. Enjoyable for the style but drinkability says I still need to share the bottle with a friend. Another beer for the sour, tart brew fans.

3.74/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

had this beer for a few months and just sat on it, really excited to try it for the first time. i received this in one of my first trades, not even sure from who... sorry and thanks!!

a- cherry red to mahogany. basically no head, little carbonation and no lacing. hmmm.

s- well raspberries are there for sure, sour funk, and some vanilla yogurt.

t&m- a little let down but not bad at all, lots and lots of pureed raspberries, a tad bit funky, theres a sort of cold metal taste that is present and lingers. finishes like the name states, tart. very much like a raspberry liquid jolly rancher.

d- as its getting warmer i find i like it better, the more it was cold the more of that metal taste i was getting. it seems the taste gets overly redundant and that sour/tart taste at the end gets harder and harder to put down at the back end of this brew.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company