Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 907 | Hads: 3,512

Ugh! Been really looking forward to trying this and I'm pretty sure I got a dud. When poured into the glass it has a very nice looking head that was very thick. Then after inspecting the beer I didn't notice a jewel like sparkle and my nose detected a very acidulous smell. The brew poured very brown and muted looking in color. After the first sip it was obvious that the beer was off. Lots of vinegar and a very acidic burn down the throat. Barely any berries to speak of and just a huge disappointment. I'd love to try it again, but not for $20.00.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...... Living in WA I have access to de grade and cascade, I'm sorry this beer is a disgrace, not fresh fruit but fruit extract? This is the most disgusting fruit beer I have ever had, this made cough syrup taste good. How Todd and Jasom gave it a 100.... I wish I got paid that money......

1.82/5  rDev -58.1%

Absolutely the most disgusting looking beer I have ever poured into a glass. A strange combination that looks like some sort of off purple mudd. A very light amount of carbonation to let you know that it is beer, but just barely.

Smells exactly like a bowl of raspberry Ice Cream, probably the highest quality of this beer.

Taste is a very sour raspberry flavor, no real beer flavors in a normal sense to speak of, no hop prescence no malts detectable at all.

Mouthfeel is suprisingly thin for a beer that looks so thick.

Drinkability is terrible, taste more like a bad can of sour raspberry soda than beer. I don't think I would even call it beer. Couldn't even finish it.

2.08/5  rDev -52.1%

There isn't a way that I can see on this site to log in a flawed or spoiled beer, so my rating may not make much sense.

On tap...beer was "corked" (TCA) contaminated. Nose was soggy cardboard. You still got nice tart fruit in the mouth, but the smell was a deal killer. I will revisit with two bombers that I just bought.

FWIW, it would be helpful for beer drinkers to log flaws. That would help establish patterns among producers/distribution chains..

EDIT: Bomber #1 had the same wet cardboard TCA nose.

2.15/5  rDev -50.5%

A- Pours a reddish purple color with a nice reddish colored head. Head had fairly good retention and leaves pretty much no lacing.

S- Shockingly enough it smells of raspberries.

T- This tasted more like a wine cooler to me than a beer. Raspberries all over the place and pretty much nothing else.

M- Light in body and light to medium in carbonation.

D- Wow I will pass on this one.

2.18/5  rDev -49.8%

A: Pours brownish red, minimal fast-fading head, lots of active bubbles in the liquid.

S: Strong raspberry aroma, jam-like and somewhat artificial. Pretty one-note, but I suppose that what they were aiming for.

T: Juice. Sparkling juice. Did the yeast attenuate this at all? Tastes like sweet wine or cider. No beer-like aspects to my tongue. Finishes with a distinct zing.

M: High carbonation. Lots of residual sweetness. Sticky finish.

O: As this warms up, it just gets more oppressively sweet to the point that my stomach is starting to get a bit upset. Perhaps if you frequently drink juice and soda and want a beer that's as sweet as them, this is an appealing beverage, but it's not at all for me.

2.36/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Did not enjoy. A very syrup'y like liquid. The sweetness is ridiculous. No beer present it feels like, just artificial raspberry syrup taste. I guess if that is what you are looking for, get one of these. But I like beer, not fruit syrup like beverages. THIS is not sour in any way. Just throwing that out there, to all you sour fans, its not a sour, so don't address it as so.

2.4/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

750ml bottle. Thanks Adam! Pours a slightly hazy, dark red-brown with a fluffy, pinkish head that dies after a bit. Pungent aroma of raspberries; very, very sweet. Sour notes become more noticeable as it warms. Taste is a rush of sugar and fortified raspberry. Cloying, actually. Acidity comes through to balance it a bit, but still finishes very sweetly. Raspberry Tart is a pretty fitting name for this one. The feel is light-medium, but awfully syrupy. As much as I wanted to like this one, it's just too sweet...couldn't actually finish it.

2.55/5  rDev -41.2%

Appearance was a cool looking dark blood red/raspberry with thin rim of pink bubbles. Sweet raspbeery jam aroma with an every so slight tartness. Hey, I might like this beer after all. Taste: all I tasted was sweet raspberry puree. No hints of malt or hops or anything else that makes a beer a beer. "Cloying" doesn't even describe the sticky syrupy mess that stuck to my throat. Maybe a little carbonation wouldv'e helped it dance across tha palate a little better, instead it just coated the mouth with sweetness and nothing else. Mind you- there were no objectionable or "off" flavors, just one-dimensional sweet raspberry ones. It's too bad that this bottle was wasted on me because it seems a lot of people enjoy this "beer" but I found it undrinkable and dumped most of the bottle. The wife even laughed at it.

2.63/5  rDev -39.4%

NG raspberry tart

a 3.5 like a slightly muddied blush sparkling wine, foamy head leaves a ring and scant lace.

s 3 if there were such a thing as raspberry cider, this would be it. not the freshest or most vibrant nose, but tolerable.

t 2.5-3 hard to think of this as beer. more like a slightly upscale, and much more expensive, version of something from boone's farm we used to drink back in college. this is sweet and boring, with a little tartness not unlike what they add to a sweet soda.

m 3 about medium bodied, but the sugar builds up.

d 2 not interested in having this again.

2.64/5  rDev -39.2%

Poured from a 750ml into a white wine glass.

Appearance is red, with a short white head and no lacing to be seen. Aroma is good, nice tart raspberry, not malty at all. Taste is tart raspberry and that really is it, too tart. Over carbonated, almost like a soda very thin . I may have had my first and last of this beer(?) although I am sure I will try it again as my wife really enjoyed it.

2.75/5  rDev -36.6%

After reading all of the reviews, I was expecting amazingness. This beer just didn't do it for me. It was so incredibly sweet, and not in a good way.... it burned the back of my throat. There was absolutely nothing to balance out the sweetness either.... this was as sweet as Sunny Delight, and I can't stand Sunny Delight.

2.75/5  rDev -36.6%

I am going to be with venom here and be the minority on this top 100 beer, but I couldn't stomach this stuff. I popped this open to celebrate my 1-year anniversary with my wife the night before we left for Maui with our wedding cake (raspberry swirl). I poured this into champagne flutes and it came out a deep purple(good band) color with a pink head of bubbles. The aroma was like a kick to the face with fresh raspberries just picked. At this point I was excited to take my first sip. There was an extreme amount of sugar cloyness that left me reaching for a glass of water. The heaviness of the sugar was not pleasant and there was no resemblence to beer coming from this. I love raspberries more than about any fruit and this was too much for me. It felt like I was drinking a can of oregon raspberries in heavy syrup. I know my opinion doesn't count, but this one is way overrated and doesn't even compare to the Belgian Red.

2.77/5  rDev -36.2%

750mL bottle shared with girlfriend & poured into a few oversized wine glasses. Deep reddish brown color with a little frothy off white head, retention is nearly absent. No lacing to speak of as consumed, none.

Smells exactly what the name says with addition of a super sweet molasses maple syrup. I am very hesitant to drink with such a powerful smell. I was hoping the taste wasnt as thick as the smell.

Yup, it was. Damn. Cloying sweet & way too thick for my taste. Even my girlfriend was saying how thick it was and definitely a "sipper". More syrup than anything else - ehhh. I was hoping for a much lighter bodied brew from this. A big let down in my opinion for such a celebrated beer. It tasted more like a thick tart wine than a beer - carbonation, where are you?!?!

I am hoping that it was maybe my bottle that was just too old and therefore syrupy. I recieved it in a trade two weeks back and was saving it for an occasion with my girl. I kept it refrigerated at 36 degrees. Idk, I may give it another try in a while. For the moment, very dissapointed in my bottle of Raspberry Tart.

2.79/5  rDev -35.7%

Chilled in Champagne flute(s) from a sticky wax dipped 25 oz. bottle.
A gentle pour created a distracting,frothy pink 1 finger head. Similar to a cappuccino foam. Color is a cloudy, ruby red. Towers of tiny bubbles ride up the glass.
Leaves a thin, cloud like lace on the flute.

Smells of ripe, mashed raspberry. Like fresh raspberry sorbet or home made jam.
Mouth is crisp & fizzy sweet ~ not too heavy.
Waaaay too sweet for me. Sharp effervescence get's in the way & it's more like carbonated soda or fruit juice.
Everything screams RASPBERRY up front. Pours with a Wheat consistency but the hops & grain are completely masked & virtually non-existent.

The low ABV is disguised with the fruits overpowering presence. The finish was kinda like the end of a hard raspberry cough drop. Drinkability suffers & I had to keep reminding myself it was BEER.

While I'm certainly not a purist, this was not a preferred or familiar style. I'm really not sure what all the hype is about??? While I found it very different & unique, I was ultimately disappointed based on what I'd heard & read.
New Glarus has a variety of other quality offerings that I find much more enjoyable & appealing.

This would be a good beer to share at a stylish brunch or special celebration. It's a novelty & not a staple. Shared...one was hard to finish.

Don't spill it...it's gonna stain!

2.9/5  rDev -33.2%

Pours a deep and dark ruby red color with a pink head that dissipated quickly.

Aroma is well... full of raspberries of course. It's very different from framboise if you were expecting that however. I got a very distinct preserves type of flavor. Very Smuckers-like I thought.

Taste was very tart and a touch sweet. Malt was not an afterthought either. Very malty. Caramel and toffee.

Body was very full and puckeringly sour at times.

Drinkability was so/so. I liked their Belgian Red cherry beer better but this was a nice dessert beer. Thanks to Kraft for allowing me to try this!

2.95/5  rDev -32%

From notes:

Received in a past trade with WilliamD. Thanks again Will, wherever you are.

Pours a very dark purplish plum/cherry red color with a thin pink foam head that quickly fades leaving no lacing.

Huge raspberry aroma with subtle oak and an overwhelming sweet sugary character. I know they use real fruit but it smells like artificialy flavored syrup.

Medium bodied with very soft, tight carbonation up front and a very sweet cloying raspberry flavor that dominates lingering into a slightly tart dry finish. There's a subtle earthy oak presence but again tastes mostly like artificial raspberry syrup. Just way too sweet and one dimensional for my taste.

2.96/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured into Flute glass

A: Pours reddish light brown with light foam on top

S: Smells very sweet

T: Does not taste like a Lambic or framboise like it is supposed to. It tastes like a sub par beer with too much raspberry sweetness. Syrupy sweet.

M: Light and crisp but the sweet syrup will overpower your judgement

Overall: Some argue that this brew is not supposed to be sour (which it def is not sour what so ever), but the they call it a framboise (lambic) and traditionally the style is a little funky or sour. This was only fruit syrup tasting. So incredibly sweet.

3.04/5  rDev -30%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured into a nonic pint.

Look--A rather dark brownish red...not very appealing...looks nothing like a beer. Frothy white head lasted almost a minute.

Smell--Raspberry syrup.

Taste--Also, raspberry syrup...no hint of malt or hops. A bit tart, but with a subtle touch of sweetness.

Feel--Moderate carbonation, moderate body.

Overall--This lacks any of the beer characteristics of their Apple Ale; this is more like a soda, or a raspberry wine. I am not likely to purchase this again, as it does not remind me of an ale whatsoever.

3.05/5  rDev -29.7%

Notes from the 2012 BC Trailer Tasting Camping Tour with Rutager.

A: Cloudy red liquid with cream coloured head.

S: Raspberries, yeast and sour funk.

T: Raspberries up front, but underneath there was a sour funk taste that I could only describe as fish guts.

M: Medium viscosity and carbonation.

O: The funk ruined this beer for me, I thought the bottle may have been ruined; but Rutager didn't pick up on the fishy taste I was getting in the finish. Oh well.

3.09/5  rDev -28.8%

Appearance is a nice light red color with pink head and some decent lacing. Very inviting looking. Smell is tons and tons of sweet raspberries and a little bit of mustiness. A little overpowering. Not that I don't like my beer overpowering, but I prefer some complexity, even in a fruit beer. Taste is pure mashed raspberry syrup on the tip of the tongue. It does have some faint mustiness and a lingering tart aspect to keep the sweetness in check, which makes me able to finish almost half the 750, but it's still a struggle. Mouthfeel is very nice and velvety though.

3.13/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a half-pint pokal glass.

A: Clear, dark rusty amber color--tea-like--with a peripheral ring of parchment-tinted bubbles. Scant lacing remains on the glass.

S: Reminiscent of a raspberry-flavored bottled iced tea--the raspberry quality is self-evident, but not especially authentic. Malt is very mild, transformed by fermentation, which leads to some of the earthy tea.

T: Begins sweet, with extract-like raspberry fruit that is consistent with the smell. Moderate acidity keeps flavors lively on the palate into the middle, where minor earthy qualities begin to replace some of the retreating acidic fruit. Flavors taper off by the finish, with a slightly fruity sense of sticky sweetness lingering on the palate.

M: Thin viscosity, slightly syrupy and energetically acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: As the third American-brewed raspberry fruit beer reviewed in as many months this beer lets something of a letdown, given its positive reputation. While raspberry flavors are fairly intense, they are also less than credible. The sensory qualities of this beer seem to have been optimized for the palate of the non-beer drinker.

3.14/5  rDev -27.6%

Thanks to CenCalMario for sharing this one with me! Pours a brownish red color with a small, white head. Scent is strong raspberry puree smelling...not much else. Taste is TONS of sweet raspberries and cane sugar...not much else. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and leaves a sticky feeling inside of the mouth due to intense sweetness. Drinkability is fair. Overall, I was kinda disappointed by this beer. I thought it would be a bit tart...since the word "tart" is in its name. This beer is a bit overly sweet for my liking, but not nearly as bad as Lindeman's Framboise. I guess if I were a fan of fruit beers, this one may be more appealing to me. Glad I got the opportunity to try it though!

3.15/5  rDev -27.4%

Pours hazy red tinged brown. Not much head to speak of. Some bubbles of carbonation abound.

Strong raspberry aroma although smells more artificial than fresh. Not really much beyond this.

Again strong artificial raspberry character. Slightly tart and finishes a little oaky and dry. Not really many flavors outside of raspberry.

Medium mouthfeel. A bit sticky with very tingly carbonation.

Doesn't really do it for me. I enjoyed Belgian Red a bit more, but feel these are both overrated a bit. Not horrible, but sort of like drinking fruit juice and not terribly complex.

3.15/5  rDev -27.4%

pours a deep rapsberry color. it almost looks a a raspberry smoothie. it is very thick looking. head disapates rather quickly. leaves some lacing.

smell is of very tart raspberries.

taste is of chocolate and coffee...wait no...i am just kidding. it is very tart and very rapsberry-ish

i don't think i need to go on much further.i think you get the idea here. RAPSBERRIES!!! this is not a beer for people that don't like fruit type beers.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company