Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

Wants: 1,161
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 893 | Hads: 3,433
2.64/5  rDev -39%

Poured from a 750ml into a white wine glass.

Appearance is red, with a short white head and no lacing to be seen. Aroma is good, nice tart raspberry, not malty at all. Taste is tart raspberry and that really is it, too tart. Over carbonated, almost like a soda very thin . I may have had my first and last of this beer(?) although I am sure I will try it again as my wife really enjoyed it. (391 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -36.5%

After reading all of the reviews, I was expecting amazingness. This beer just didn't do it for me. It was so incredibly sweet, and not in a good way.... it burned the back of my throat. There was absolutely nothing to balance out the sweetness either.... this was as sweet as Sunny Delight, and I can't stand Sunny Delight. (326 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -36.5%

I am going to be with venom here and be the minority on this top 100 beer, but I couldn't stomach this stuff. I popped this open to celebrate my 1-year anniversary with my wife the night before we left for Maui with our wedding cake (raspberry swirl). I poured this into champagne flutes and it came out a deep purple(good band) color with a pink head of bubbles. The aroma was like a kick to the face with fresh raspberries just picked. At this point I was excited to take my first sip. There was an extreme amount of sugar cloyness that left me reaching for a glass of water. The heaviness of the sugar was not pleasant and there was no resemblence to beer coming from this. I love raspberries more than about any fruit and this was too much for me. It felt like I was drinking a can of oregon raspberries in heavy syrup. I know my opinion doesn't count, but this one is way overrated and doesn't even compare to the Belgian Red. (931 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -36%

750mL bottle shared with girlfriend & poured into a few oversized wine glasses. Deep reddish brown color with a little frothy off white head, retention is nearly absent. No lacing to speak of as consumed, none.

Smells exactly what the name says with addition of a super sweet molasses maple syrup. I am very hesitant to drink with such a powerful smell. I was hoping the taste wasnt as thick as the smell.

Yup, it was. Damn. Cloying sweet & way too thick for my taste. Even my girlfriend was saying how thick it was and definitely a "sipper". More syrup than anything else - ehhh. I was hoping for a much lighter bodied brew from this. A big let down in my opinion for such a celebrated beer. It tasted more like a thick tart wine than a beer - carbonation, where are you?!?!

I am hoping that it was maybe my bottle that was just too old and therefore syrupy. I recieved it in a trade two weeks back and was saving it for an occasion with my girl. I kept it refrigerated at 36 degrees. Idk, I may give it another try in a while. For the moment, very dissapointed in my bottle of Raspberry Tart. (1,097 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -35.6%

Chilled in Champagne flute(s) from a sticky wax dipped 25 oz. bottle.
A gentle pour created a distracting,frothy pink 1 finger head. Similar to a cappuccino foam. Color is a cloudy, ruby red. Towers of tiny bubbles ride up the glass.
Leaves a thin, cloud like lace on the flute.

Smells of ripe, mashed raspberry. Like fresh raspberry sorbet or home made jam.
Mouth is crisp & fizzy sweet ~ not too heavy.
Waaaay too sweet for me. Sharp effervescence get's in the way & it's more like carbonated soda or fruit juice.
Everything screams RASPBERRY up front. Pours with a Wheat consistency but the hops & grain are completely masked & virtually non-existent.

The low ABV is disguised with the fruits overpowering presence. The finish was kinda like the end of a hard raspberry cough drop. Drinkability suffers & I had to keep reminding myself it was BEER.

While I'm certainly not a purist, this was not a preferred or familiar style. I'm really not sure what all the hype is about??? While I found it very different & unique, I was ultimately disappointed based on what I'd heard & read.
New Glarus has a variety of other quality offerings that I find much more enjoyable & appealing.

This would be a good beer to share at a stylish brunch or special celebration. It's a novelty & not a staple. Shared...one was hard to finish.

Don't spill it...it's gonna stain! (1,365 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -33%

Pours a deep and dark ruby red color with a pink head that dissipated quickly.

Aroma is well... full of raspberries of course. It's very different from framboise if you were expecting that however. I got a very distinct preserves type of flavor. Very Smuckers-like I thought.

Taste was very tart and a touch sweet. Malt was not an afterthought either. Very malty. Caramel and toffee.

Body was very full and puckeringly sour at times.

Drinkability was so/so. I liked their Belgian Red cherry beer better but this was a nice dessert beer. Thanks to Kraft for allowing me to try this! (586 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -31.9%

From notes:

Received in a past trade with WilliamD. Thanks again Will, wherever you are.

Pours a very dark purplish plum/cherry red color with a thin pink foam head that quickly fades leaving no lacing.

Huge raspberry aroma with subtle oak and an overwhelming sweet sugary character. I know they use real fruit but it smells like artificialy flavored syrup.

Medium bodied with very soft, tight carbonation up front and a very sweet cloying raspberry flavor that dominates lingering into a slightly tart dry finish. There's a subtle earthy oak presence but again tastes mostly like artificial raspberry syrup. Just way too sweet and one dimensional for my taste. (665 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured into Flute glass

A: Pours reddish light brown with light foam on top

S: Smells very sweet

T: Does not taste like a Lambic or framboise like it is supposed to. It tastes like a sub par beer with too much raspberry sweetness. Syrupy sweet.

M: Light and crisp but the sweet syrup will overpower your judgement

Overall: Some argue that this brew is not supposed to be sour (which it def is not sour what so ever), but the they call it a framboise (lambic) and traditionally the style is a little funky or sour. This was only fruit syrup tasting. So incredibly sweet. (574 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured into a nonic pint.

Look--A rather dark brownish red...not very appealing...looks nothing like a beer. Frothy white head lasted almost a minute.

Smell--Raspberry syrup.

Taste--Also, raspberry syrup...no hint of malt or hops. A bit tart, but with a subtle touch of sweetness.

Feel--Moderate carbonation, moderate body.

Overall--This lacks any of the beer characteristics of their Apple Ale; this is more like a soda, or a raspberry wine. I am not likely to purchase this again, as it does not remind me of an ale whatsoever. (537 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -29.6%

Notes from the 2012 BC Trailer Tasting Camping Tour with Rutager.

A: Cloudy red liquid with cream coloured head.

S: Raspberries, yeast and sour funk.

T: Raspberries up front, but underneath there was a sour funk taste that I could only describe as fish guts.

M: Medium viscosity and carbonation.

O: The funk ruined this beer for me, I thought the bottle may have been ruined; but Rutager didn't pick up on the fishy taste I was getting in the finish. Oh well. (465 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -28.6%

Appearance is a nice light red color with pink head and some decent lacing. Very inviting looking. Smell is tons and tons of sweet raspberries and a little bit of mustiness. A little overpowering. Not that I don't like my beer overpowering, but I prefer some complexity, even in a fruit beer. Taste is pure mashed raspberry syrup on the tip of the tongue. It does have some faint mustiness and a lingering tart aspect to keep the sweetness in check, which makes me able to finish almost half the 750, but it's still a struggle. Mouthfeel is very nice and velvety though. (570 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a half-pint pokal glass.

A: Clear, dark rusty amber color--tea-like--with a peripheral ring of parchment-tinted bubbles. Scant lacing remains on the glass.

S: Reminiscent of a raspberry-flavored bottled iced tea--the raspberry quality is self-evident, but not especially authentic. Malt is very mild, transformed by fermentation, which leads to some of the earthy tea.

T: Begins sweet, with extract-like raspberry fruit that is consistent with the smell. Moderate acidity keeps flavors lively on the palate into the middle, where minor earthy qualities begin to replace some of the retreating acidic fruit. Flavors taper off by the finish, with a slightly fruity sense of sticky sweetness lingering on the palate.

M: Thin viscosity, slightly syrupy and energetically acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: As the third American-brewed raspberry fruit beer reviewed in as many months this beer lets something of a letdown, given its positive reputation. While raspberry flavors are fairly intense, they are also less than credible. The sensory qualities of this beer seem to have been optimized for the palate of the non-beer drinker. (1,186 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -27.5%

Thanks to CenCalMario for sharing this one with me! Pours a brownish red color with a small, white head. Scent is strong raspberry puree smelling...not much else. Taste is TONS of sweet raspberries and cane sugar...not much else. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and leaves a sticky feeling inside of the mouth due to intense sweetness. Drinkability is fair. Overall, I was kinda disappointed by this beer. I thought it would be a bit tart...since the word "tart" is in its name. This beer is a bit overly sweet for my liking, but not nearly as bad as Lindeman's Framboise. I guess if I were a fan of fruit beers, this one may be more appealing to me. Glad I got the opportunity to try it though! (690 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours hazy red tinged brown. Not much head to speak of. Some bubbles of carbonation abound.

Strong raspberry aroma although smells more artificial than fresh. Not really much beyond this.

Again strong artificial raspberry character. Slightly tart and finishes a little oaky and dry. Not really many flavors outside of raspberry.

Medium mouthfeel. A bit sticky with very tingly carbonation.

Doesn't really do it for me. I enjoyed Belgian Red a bit more, but feel these are both overrated a bit. Not horrible, but sort of like drinking fruit juice and not terribly complex. (575 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -27.3%

pours a deep rapsberry color. it almost looks a a raspberry smoothie. it is very thick looking. head disapates rather quickly. leaves some lacing.

smell is of very tart raspberries.

taste is of chocolate and coffee...wait no...i am just kidding. it is very tart and very rapsberry-ish

i don't think i need to go on much further.i think you get the idea here. RAPSBERRIES!!! this is not a beer for people that don't like fruit type beers. (446 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -27.3%

The aroma of the beer was full of sweet and tart raspberries and some malty sweetness in the background. No hops or alcohol on the nose.

The flavor of the beer was full of cloyingly sweet raspberries with a faint touch of tartness. In fact, it was like drinking carbonated sweet raspberry cider - the non alcoholic kind. Is this really a beer?

The carbonation was adequate, but the mouthfeel was deathly syrupy.

I did not really enjoy this as a beer. If it were bottled as a non-alcoholic raspberry cider, I would have believed it. IMO, it was a syrupy overrated mess, only slightly better than the WBR. (606 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -25.9%

Was somewhat underwhelmed by this beer. Had it at a bottle-share and loved it, so I traded for it in order to try again. Second time around, was just not happy. Way too sour/vinegary, with little to no raspberry (tart) sweetness. Would like to try one more time just to see if I got a bad batch, otherwise I'll pass on this beer. (329 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours crimson red with a bubbling white head that fade to almost no lacing.

A big raspberry aroma with a mild amount of oak. Comes across like it's gonna be really sweet.

Tastes are the same. Too sweet for me, almost like soda. No real acidity to speak of. Light dry finish.

Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation.

Overall is just not my kind of beer I guess. I'm a little bummed by that as I was looking forward to this beer for some time. (447 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -24.9%

To me This tasted much more like a cocktail then a beer. all i really got in the taste was an overly sweet taste that to me was more reminiscent of a raspberry syrup then fresh raspberries. i got no tartness or malt balance whatsoever. (236 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -24.7%

Thanks to oakbluff for this one.

Poured from a 1 pint 9 fl. oz. bottle into 2 champagne flutes (me & my wife) as per label on bottle.

Appearance: Crimson red body looking almost liked pureed raspberries with a thin head.

Smell: All rapsberries here, aroma of freshly picked berries, looking good.

Taste: A rush of raspberries hits you, tart & bitter but no apparent sweetness maybe masked by the tartness.

Mouthfeel: Fizziness in the mouthfeel, bold & heavy taste, a little too heavy maybe. Dominant flavor is raspberries (of course!) which have a over-ripened feel to them.

Drinkablity: For me, drinkability suffers for this one. Very overwhelming, would have been satisfied with one flute but after getting halfway through the bottle, had trouble finishing it.

Overall: I came expecting raspberries, but i think it was too much. I wanted to like it but in the end, not so. It's a very well-crafted brew no doubt. Not sure if tartness was too much but there was no sweetness which made it difficult to finish. Smell & initial taste were the best features. I think this would be better served as a small 8 oz. bottle (maybe available?) but i don't think i would seek it out again. (1,187 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -24.5%

Awesome throw-in from a trade w/ raoulduke37. Split with friends last night after dinner. Pours a dark ruby red, really pretty color, little whispy pinkish head. Fizzy. Looks like soda, is all I can think of. Smell is unadulterated raspberry. So far so good, but while I dig the raspberry flavor, this is just too sweet for me. A tiny bit of tart in the finish, but I wouldn't venture to label this beer as sour at all. It's fruity, and sweet. Which if you're looking for, you're going to like this beer. Just not really my thing. A bit cloying and sugary. Wish it was a little more complex and wild tasting, a little more natural. Still and impressive brew. Big fan of New Glarus in general so I would still recommend this beer to others. (739 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Similar to Strawberry Rhubarb, I just don't get the hype around this beer. Overly sweet, not much tart and very syrupy. Not my style of beer, just feel like sugar overtook any other flavor. (189 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -22.6%

A: Pours a clear mahogany with ruby tints and two fingers of khaki head that recedes into a thin cap with no lacing.

S: Tons and tons of dry, tart raspberry aromas with just a hint of some yeasty characters.

T: Similar to the aroma, raspberries dominate: sweet, tart, acidic, and dry all at the same time. Not much else going on here.

M: Medium-light body with light, but biting carbonation.

O: Not a bad beer by any means . . . but it's difficult for me to even think of this as a beer. This is really just carbonated raspberry juice. It's fairly tasty, but is so simple and one-note in both taste and aroma that it'd be hard for me to call this a good beer. I'd like less raspberry and more beer (i.e. hops, barley, and yeast). (733 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I really try not to give beers such a terrible rating but this one if worth losing every point. Way to overly sweet and syrupy and the flavor was just too artificial for me. Would not drink this beer again if I was in the sahara and stuck in head deep sand. (257 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -21.5%

Thanks to whoever shared this at NoSignsOfPain's bday party

Look: Pours a amber red color with a 1/4 inch pinkish head and ok retention

Smell: Raspberries and more raspberries with a slight sourness

Taste: For me this is where it went wrong. The flavor is overpowering with raspberries and they seem artificial. There is a slight tartness and sourness that accompany the raspberries

Mouthfeel: Just over a thin body and mild carbonation and it felt very syrupy to me and left a stickiness in my mouth that I didnt really care for

Overall: This drinks more like a fruit juice then a beer. This is not what I want when I want to drink a beer sorry but this one just doesnt do it for me (690 characters)

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company