Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,211 | Reviews: 875

2.08/5  rDev -52.3%

There isn't a way that I can see on this site to log in a flawed or spoiled beer, so my rating may not make much sense.

On tap...beer was "corked" (TCA) contaminated. Nose was soggy cardboard. You still got nice tart fruit in the mouth, but the smell was a deal killer. I will revisit with two bombers that I just bought.

FWIW, it would be helpful for beer drinkers to log flaws. That would help establish patterns among producers/distribution chains..

2.15/5  rDev -50.7%

A- Pours a reddish purple color with a nice reddish colored head. Head had fairly good retention and leaves pretty much no lacing.

S- Shockingly enough it smells of raspberries.

T- This tasted more like a wine cooler to me than a beer. Raspberries all over the place and pretty much nothing else.

M- Light in body and light to medium in carbonation.

D- Wow I will pass on this one.

2.18/5  rDev -50%

A: Pours brownish red, minimal fast-fading head, lots of active bubbles in the liquid.

S: Strong raspberry aroma, jam-like and somewhat artificial. Pretty one-note, but I suppose that what they were aiming for.

T: Juice. Sparkling juice. Did the yeast attenuate this at all? Tastes like sweet wine or cider. No beer-like aspects to my tongue. Finishes with a distinct zing.

M: High carbonation. Lots of residual sweetness. Sticky finish.

O: As this warms up, it just gets more oppressively sweet to the point that my stomach is starting to get a bit upset. Perhaps if you frequently drink juice and soda and want a beer that's as sweet as them, this is an appealing beverage, but it's not at all for me.

2.4/5  rDev -45%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

750ml bottle. Thanks Adam! Pours a slightly hazy, dark red-brown with a fluffy, pinkish head that dies after a bit. Pungent aroma of raspberries; very, very sweet. Sour notes become more noticeable as it warms. Taste is a rush of sugar and fortified raspberry. Cloying, actually. Acidity comes through to balance it a bit, but still finishes very sweetly. Raspberry Tart is a pretty fitting name for this one. The feel is light-medium, but awfully syrupy. As much as I wanted to like this one, it's just too sweet...couldn't actually finish it.

2.55/5  rDev -41.5%

Appearance was a cool looking dark blood red/raspberry with thin rim of pink bubbles. Sweet raspbeery jam aroma with an every so slight tartness. Hey, I might like this beer after all. Taste: all I tasted was sweet raspberry puree. No hints of malt or hops or anything else that makes a beer a beer. "Cloying" doesn't even describe the sticky syrupy mess that stuck to my throat. Maybe a little carbonation wouldv'e helped it dance across tha palate a little better, instead it just coated the mouth with sweetness and nothing else. Mind you- there were no objectionable or "off" flavors, just one-dimensional sweet raspberry ones. It's too bad that this bottle was wasted on me because it seems a lot of people enjoy this "beer" but I found it undrinkable and dumped most of the bottle. The wife even laughed at it.

2.63/5  rDev -39.7%

NG raspberry tart

a 3.5 like a slightly muddied blush sparkling wine, foamy head leaves a ring and scant lace.

s 3 if there were such a thing as raspberry cider, this would be it. not the freshest or most vibrant nose, but tolerable.

t 2.5-3 hard to think of this as beer. more like a slightly upscale, and much more expensive, version of something from boone's farm we used to drink back in college. this is sweet and boring, with a little tartness not unlike what they add to a sweet soda.

m 3 about medium bodied, but the sugar builds up.

d 2 not interested in having this again.

2.64/5  rDev -39.4%

Poured from a 750ml into a white wine glass.

Appearance is red, with a short white head and no lacing to be seen. Aroma is good, nice tart raspberry, not malty at all. Taste is tart raspberry and that really is it, too tart. Over carbonated, almost like a soda very thin . I may have had my first and last of this beer(?) although I am sure I will try it again as my wife really enjoyed it.

2.66/5  rDev -39%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Way to sweet. Like drinking the syrup for a snow cone. I have no idea how this is so highly rated

2.75/5  rDev -36.9%

After reading all of the reviews, I was expecting amazingness. This beer just didn't do it for me. It was so incredibly sweet, and not in a good way.... it burned the back of my throat. There was absolutely nothing to balance out the sweetness either.... this was as sweet as Sunny Delight, and I can't stand Sunny Delight.

2.75/5  rDev -36.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company