Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 893 | Hads: 3,439
3.09/5  rDev -28.6%

Appearance is a nice light red color with pink head and some decent lacing. Very inviting looking. Smell is tons and tons of sweet raspberries and a little bit of mustiness. A little overpowering. Not that I don't like my beer overpowering, but I prefer some complexity, even in a fruit beer. Taste is pure mashed raspberry syrup on the tip of the tongue. It does have some faint mustiness and a lingering tart aspect to keep the sweetness in check, which makes me able to finish almost half the 750, but it's still a struggle. Mouthfeel is very nice and velvety though. (570 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a half-pint pokal glass.

A: Clear, dark rusty amber color--tea-like--with a peripheral ring of parchment-tinted bubbles. Scant lacing remains on the glass.

S: Reminiscent of a raspberry-flavored bottled iced tea--the raspberry quality is self-evident, but not especially authentic. Malt is very mild, transformed by fermentation, which leads to some of the earthy tea.

T: Begins sweet, with extract-like raspberry fruit that is consistent with the smell. Moderate acidity keeps flavors lively on the palate into the middle, where minor earthy qualities begin to replace some of the retreating acidic fruit. Flavors taper off by the finish, with a slightly fruity sense of sticky sweetness lingering on the palate.

M: Thin viscosity, slightly syrupy and energetically acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: As the third American-brewed raspberry fruit beer reviewed in as many months this beer lets something of a letdown, given its positive reputation. While raspberry flavors are fairly intense, they are also less than credible. The sensory qualities of this beer seem to have been optimized for the palate of the non-beer drinker. (1,186 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -27.5%

Thanks to CenCalMario for sharing this one with me! Pours a brownish red color with a small, white head. Scent is strong raspberry puree smelling...not much else. Taste is TONS of sweet raspberries and cane sugar...not much else. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and leaves a sticky feeling inside of the mouth due to intense sweetness. Drinkability is fair. Overall, I was kinda disappointed by this beer. I thought it would be a bit tart...since the word "tart" is in its name. This beer is a bit overly sweet for my liking, but not nearly as bad as Lindeman's Framboise. I guess if I were a fan of fruit beers, this one may be more appealing to me. Glad I got the opportunity to try it though! (690 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours hazy red tinged brown. Not much head to speak of. Some bubbles of carbonation abound.

Strong raspberry aroma although smells more artificial than fresh. Not really much beyond this.

Again strong artificial raspberry character. Slightly tart and finishes a little oaky and dry. Not really many flavors outside of raspberry.

Medium mouthfeel. A bit sticky with very tingly carbonation.

Doesn't really do it for me. I enjoyed Belgian Red a bit more, but feel these are both overrated a bit. Not horrible, but sort of like drinking fruit juice and not terribly complex. (575 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -27.3%

pours a deep rapsberry color. it almost looks a a raspberry smoothie. it is very thick looking. head disapates rather quickly. leaves some lacing.

smell is of very tart raspberries.

taste is of chocolate and coffee...wait no...i am just kidding. it is very tart and very rapsberry-ish

i don't think i need to go on much further.i think you get the idea here. RAPSBERRIES!!! this is not a beer for people that don't like fruit type beers. (446 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -27.3%

The aroma of the beer was full of sweet and tart raspberries and some malty sweetness in the background. No hops or alcohol on the nose.

The flavor of the beer was full of cloyingly sweet raspberries with a faint touch of tartness. In fact, it was like drinking carbonated sweet raspberry cider - the non alcoholic kind. Is this really a beer?

The carbonation was adequate, but the mouthfeel was deathly syrupy.

I did not really enjoy this as a beer. If it were bottled as a non-alcoholic raspberry cider, I would have believed it. IMO, it was a syrupy overrated mess, only slightly better than the WBR. (606 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -25.9%

Was somewhat underwhelmed by this beer. Had it at a bottle-share and loved it, so I traded for it in order to try again. Second time around, was just not happy. Way too sour/vinegary, with little to no raspberry (tart) sweetness. Would like to try one more time just to see if I got a bad batch, otherwise I'll pass on this beer. (329 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours crimson red with a bubbling white head that fade to almost no lacing.

A big raspberry aroma with a mild amount of oak. Comes across like it's gonna be really sweet.

Tastes are the same. Too sweet for me, almost like soda. No real acidity to speak of. Light dry finish.

Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation.

Overall is just not my kind of beer I guess. I'm a little bummed by that as I was looking forward to this beer for some time. (447 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -24.9%

To me This tasted much more like a cocktail then a beer. all i really got in the taste was an overly sweet taste that to me was more reminiscent of a raspberry syrup then fresh raspberries. i got no tartness or malt balance whatsoever. (236 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -24.7%

Thanks to oakbluff for this one.

Poured from a 1 pint 9 fl. oz. bottle into 2 champagne flutes (me & my wife) as per label on bottle.

Appearance: Crimson red body looking almost liked pureed raspberries with a thin head.

Smell: All rapsberries here, aroma of freshly picked berries, looking good.

Taste: A rush of raspberries hits you, tart & bitter but no apparent sweetness maybe masked by the tartness.

Mouthfeel: Fizziness in the mouthfeel, bold & heavy taste, a little too heavy maybe. Dominant flavor is raspberries (of course!) which have a over-ripened feel to them.

Drinkablity: For me, drinkability suffers for this one. Very overwhelming, would have been satisfied with one flute but after getting halfway through the bottle, had trouble finishing it.

Overall: I came expecting raspberries, but i think it was too much. I wanted to like it but in the end, not so. It's a very well-crafted brew no doubt. Not sure if tartness was too much but there was no sweetness which made it difficult to finish. Smell & initial taste were the best features. I think this would be better served as a small 8 oz. bottle (maybe available?) but i don't think i would seek it out again. (1,187 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -24.5%

Awesome throw-in from a trade w/ raoulduke37. Split with friends last night after dinner. Pours a dark ruby red, really pretty color, little whispy pinkish head. Fizzy. Looks like soda, is all I can think of. Smell is unadulterated raspberry. So far so good, but while I dig the raspberry flavor, this is just too sweet for me. A tiny bit of tart in the finish, but I wouldn't venture to label this beer as sour at all. It's fruity, and sweet. Which if you're looking for, you're going to like this beer. Just not really my thing. A bit cloying and sugary. Wish it was a little more complex and wild tasting, a little more natural. Still and impressive brew. Big fan of New Glarus in general so I would still recommend this beer to others. (739 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Similar to Strawberry Rhubarb, I just don't get the hype around this beer. Overly sweet, not much tart and very syrupy. Not my style of beer, just feel like sugar overtook any other flavor. (189 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -22.6%

A: Pours a clear mahogany with ruby tints and two fingers of khaki head that recedes into a thin cap with no lacing.

S: Tons and tons of dry, tart raspberry aromas with just a hint of some yeasty characters.

T: Similar to the aroma, raspberries dominate: sweet, tart, acidic, and dry all at the same time. Not much else going on here.

M: Medium-light body with light, but biting carbonation.

O: Not a bad beer by any means . . . but it's difficult for me to even think of this as a beer. This is really just carbonated raspberry juice. It's fairly tasty, but is so simple and one-note in both taste and aroma that it'd be hard for me to call this a good beer. I'd like less raspberry and more beer (i.e. hops, barley, and yeast). (733 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I really try not to give beers such a terrible rating but this one if worth losing every point. Way to overly sweet and syrupy and the flavor was just too artificial for me. Would not drink this beer again if I was in the sahara and stuck in head deep sand. (257 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -21.5%

Thanks to whoever shared this at NoSignsOfPain's bday party

Look: Pours a amber red color with a 1/4 inch pinkish head and ok retention

Smell: Raspberries and more raspberries with a slight sourness

Taste: For me this is where it went wrong. The flavor is overpowering with raspberries and they seem artificial. There is a slight tartness and sourness that accompany the raspberries

Mouthfeel: Just over a thin body and mild carbonation and it felt very syrupy to me and left a stickiness in my mouth that I didnt really care for

Overall: This drinks more like a fruit juice then a beer. This is not what I want when I want to drink a beer sorry but this one just doesnt do it for me (690 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -21%

Geez, this stuff is close to Alizarin Crimson in color (a purplish red used by watercolor painters). Thin skim of a pinkish head. Laces in wisps on a wine glass. Raspberries saturate the aroma, and being my favorite berry, that's OK. The flavor however is overdone and unidimensional. Berry chokes the palette and the nose concurrently -- and while its not the overly sweet tone of a cheap Framboise, its too much. The tartness is underdone, its more raspberry "smoothie" than seeds and stems. The Belgian Red straddles the line, this crosses it. Could also use slightly more carbonation for interest. (601 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -21%

A - Pours about one finger of white to off-white head. Body is brown with a red tinge and clear. No lacing.

S - Raspberries and sweet. Not much else going on.

T - Overpoweringly sweet. Raspberries. Very slight sourness. Some earthy funk to it as well on the back-end.

M - Good carbonation with medium body.

O - It is a dessert beer that is very sweet and one dimensional (raspberry). Not something I think I would ever seek out again.

EDIT - Tried this one again. Super pleasant beer that tastes great and is very smooth and refreshing. I would increase the appearance, taste, and overall by .25-.5 points each. I would give it a 3.9 rating today. (654 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to pmoney for this bottle!

A: cloudy light garnet to brown color with a one finger head with very little retention, though it looks well carbonated.

S: raspberry, sweetness, some sourness

T: delicious raspberry with sweetness and some tartness. Not super complex, though. A bit too sweet.

M: undercarbonated by a small amount on the front end, but going down I could feel the soft release of the bubbles. Feel would be better with more carbonation to lighten up the body.

O: quite a good beer, but maybe it's not my style. Overall it's very good, and I would pick it up at the store for certain people and certain events if it were the right price. Very good, but a little too much like fruit juice for me. (722 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Founders snifter. Split with my buddy for his birthday day.

A: Pours a dark purple with nice cherried hues woven throughout, but mainly on the edges. Light pink 1 finger head that lingered for a little while, then instantly dissipated.

S: Very light berries up front and then it sort of morphs into a nice sweetness, almost like a fruit roll-up or fruit by the foot. I pick up a slight bread-like malt on the back end. These smells were all very light and it took some effort to find them.

T: Very nice semi-tart mixed berries up front with a nice dry malt bill. This gives way to a nice sweetness that lingers throughout the middle and back end, just like the nose. Slightly less medicinal than the Belgian Red.

M: Medium bodied with an oily mouthfeel. Coats the palate with a semi-bitter berry. Medium carbonation.

O: While I don't like fruit or vegetable beers, New Glarus has definitely upped the ante and made me at least enjoy them. While I probably wont try this one again, I'm glad I did because I'm always trying to expand my horizons and if there is a beer that can sway me I'm all for it. (1,139 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

750ml into a snifter.

A: Burgundy body with a small cream-colored head.

S: Sweet raspberry flesh, very light acidity. Lots of fruity sugar.

T: Juicy. somewhat syrupy raspberry, light malty spice. Very sweet.

M: Between light and medium-bodied, frothy carbonation.

O: While I like this a bit better than Wisconsin Belgian Red, it's still a bit too syrupy-sweet for me, especially for being called "Raspberry Tart." (418 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -19.9%

750 ml. green bottle, no date information.

Murky maroon. Short, frothy pink-washed medium and large bubbles rest on top and slowly pop, leaving a pile around the edge. Drapes of clingy lace adhere to the glass. A handful of fine bubbled carbonation streams are visible. Bright, fresh raspberry aromas as well as some sweet raspberry syrup. Sweet, syrupy raspberry flavors lead off. A bit of tartness comes through in the finish, but this remains predominantly sugary sweet throughout. Medium-light body, with a fairly effervescent mouthfeel. The raspberry juice trails long into the finish. This is sticky and a tacky feeling gains traction on the tongue. There is a bit of wet wood beneath the sweetness, but the raspberries simply dominate the wheat and Hallertau hops. This was significantly sweeter than I expected and the “Tart” aspect was virtually non-existent.

Thanks to Stonecrusher for including this in one of his metric assloads of beer. (957 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Nice looking, dark red beer with a tan/pink head. The aroma and the taste are very sweet. This beer definitely has much more sweetness from the raspberries than tartness. The flavor has a fair bit of complexity to it, but to me it tastes just as much like juice as it does beer.

I was really looking forward to this one, but I was expecting it to be a sour. It is not really sour at all. However, I would definitely recommend it to anyone that likes the sweet, fruit lambics. (477 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

I opened this up along with the Belgian Red with my wife for Christmas Eve. She likes fruity beers so we agreed to have both.

There's a reddish pink and brown body when I poured this beer into two glasses for both of us.

This beer definitely emphasizes raspberries and smells so sweet. There's a sour presence and dare I say, some funk in this? It's not too sour - there's some sweetness too, like a pureed respberries were mixed into the beer. It's a little bit too tart, but the sweetness keeps it from making you grimace!

While this is good, we both preferred the Belgian Red. (582 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours into my glass with a deep pink colored head. The beer is a dark red color that is approaching black (though it has a ways to go). I get strong aromas of raspberries emanating from my glass as I pour this beer. The sweet raspberry notes dominate the aroma, though perhaps a hint of acidity comes through, but not much else. The beer is definitely sweet. It has a full fruity flavor and an almost thick body from the residual sugars that are left behind. It is quite tart in the finish, though it could perhaps use a bit more to balance the syrupy sweetness. I also get a bit of raspberry skin tannin in the finish. The sweetness really over powers that rest of the complexity that might be found in the base beer. This is definitely enjoyable, but is a bit too sweet and cloying to be a 'beer' for me. (806 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pt, 9 oz. bottle into a thin pilsner.

deep reddish purple with a foamy pink head that leaves nice rings of lace.

sweet raspberries and sugar in the aroma. no hint of malt, hops, or alcohol; absolutely no hint that this is a beer. it is wonderfully sweet, however, and fragrantly pleasant.

light to medium body and a ticklish light carbonation prevent it from being cloying, but the flavor is all sugary sweet raspberries. a touch of tartness and tanginess, but mainly it's just the berries.

very similar to the belgian red, with raspberries sitting in for the cherries. as i said about the belgian red, this one's very good, and a nice dessert, but i prefer my beers to be a little more beer-like. (711 characters)

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company