Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,062
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -48.4%

2.33/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

750ml bottle. Thanks Adam! Pours a slightly hazy, dark red-brown with a fluffy, pinkish head that dies after a bit. Pungent aroma of raspberries; very, very sweet. Sour notes become more noticeable as it warms. Taste is a rush of sugar and fortified raspberry. Cloying, actually. Acidity comes through to balance it a bit, but still finishes very sweetly. Raspberry Tart is a pretty fitting name for this one. The feel is light-medium, but awfully syrupy. As much as I wanted to like this one, it's just too sweet...couldn't actually finish it.

2.48/5  rDev -43.1%

Appearance was a cool looking dark blood red/raspberry with thin rim of pink bubbles. Sweet raspbeery jam aroma with an every so slight tartness. Hey, I might like this beer after all. Taste: all I tasted was sweet raspberry puree. No hints of malt or hops or anything else that makes a beer a beer. "Cloying" doesn't even describe the sticky syrupy mess that stuck to my throat. Maybe a little carbonation wouldv'e helped it dance across tha palate a little better, instead it just coated the mouth with sweetness and nothing else. Mind you- there were no objectionable or "off" flavors, just one-dimensional sweet raspberry ones. It's too bad that this bottle was wasted on me because it seems a lot of people enjoy this "beer" but I found it undrinkable and dumped most of the bottle. The wife even laughed at it.

2.55/5  rDev -41.5%

Poured from a 750ml into a white wine glass.

Appearance is red, with a short white head and no lacing to be seen. Aroma is good, nice tart raspberry, not malty at all. Taste is tart raspberry and that really is it, too tart. Over carbonated, almost like a soda very thin . I may have had my first and last of this beer(?) although I am sure I will try it again as my wife really enjoyed it.

2.6/5  rDev -40.4%

NG raspberry tart

a 3.5 like a slightly muddied blush sparkling wine, foamy head leaves a ring and scant lace.

s 3 if there were such a thing as raspberry cider, this would be it. not the freshest or most vibrant nose, but tolerable.

t 2.5-3 hard to think of this as beer. more like a slightly upscale, and much more expensive, version of something from boone's farm we used to drink back in college. this is sweet and boring, with a little tartness not unlike what they add to a sweet soda.

m 3 about medium bodied, but the sugar builds up.

d 2 not interested in having this again.

2.68/5  rDev -38.5%

750mL bottle shared with girlfriend & poured into a few oversized wine glasses. Deep reddish brown color with a little frothy off white head, retention is nearly absent. No lacing to speak of as consumed, none.

Smells exactly what the name says with addition of a super sweet molasses maple syrup. I am very hesitant to drink with such a powerful smell. I was hoping the taste wasnt as thick as the smell.

Yup, it was. Damn. Cloying sweet & way too thick for my taste. Even my girlfriend was saying how thick it was and definitely a "sipper". More syrup than anything else - ehhh. I was hoping for a much lighter bodied brew from this. A big let down in my opinion for such a celebrated beer. It tasted more like a thick tart wine than a beer - carbonation, where are you?!?!

I am hoping that it was maybe my bottle that was just too old and therefore syrupy. I recieved it in a trade two weeks back and was saving it for an occasion with my girl. I kept it refrigerated at 36 degrees. Idk, I may give it another try in a while. For the moment, very dissapointed in my bottle of Raspberry Tart.

2.68/5  rDev -38.5%

I am going to be with venom here and be the minority on this top 100 beer, but I couldn't stomach this stuff. I popped this open to celebrate my 1-year anniversary with my wife the night before we left for Maui with our wedding cake (raspberry swirl). I poured this into champagne flutes and it came out a deep purple(good band) color with a pink head of bubbles. The aroma was like a kick to the face with fresh raspberries just picked. At this point I was excited to take my first sip. There was an extreme amount of sugar cloyness that left me reaching for a glass of water. The heaviness of the sugar was not pleasant and there was no resemblence to beer coming from this. I love raspberries more than about any fruit and this was too much for me. It felt like I was drinking a can of oregon raspberries in heavy syrup. I know my opinion doesn't count, but this one is way overrated and doesn't even compare to the Belgian Red.

2.73/5  rDev -37.4%

Chilled in Champagne flute(s) from a sticky wax dipped 25 oz. bottle.
A gentle pour created a distracting,frothy pink 1 finger head. Similar to a cappuccino foam. Color is a cloudy, ruby red. Towers of tiny bubbles ride up the glass.
Leaves a thin, cloud like lace on the flute.

Smells of ripe, mashed raspberry. Like fresh raspberry sorbet or home made jam.
Mouth is crisp & fizzy sweet ~ not too heavy.
Waaaay too sweet for me. Sharp effervescence get's in the way & it's more like carbonated soda or fruit juice.
Everything screams RASPBERRY up front. Pours with a Wheat consistency but the hops & grain are completely masked & virtually non-existent.

The low ABV is disguised with the fruits overpowering presence. The finish was kinda like the end of a hard raspberry cough drop. Drinkability suffers & I had to keep reminding myself it was BEER.

While I'm certainly not a purist, this was not a preferred or familiar style. I'm really not sure what all the hype is about??? While I found it very different & unique, I was ultimately disappointed based on what I'd heard & read.
New Glarus has a variety of other quality offerings that I find much more enjoyable & appealing.

This would be a good beer to share at a stylish brunch or special celebration. It's a novelty & not a staple. Shared...one was hard to finish.

Don't spill it...it's gonna stain!

2.75/5  rDev -36.9%

After reading all of the reviews, I was expecting amazingness. This beer just didn't do it for me. It was so incredibly sweet, and not in a good way.... it burned the back of my throat. There was absolutely nothing to balance out the sweetness either.... this was as sweet as Sunny Delight, and I can't stand Sunny Delight.

2.88/5  rDev -33.9%

2.9/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a deep and dark ruby red color with a pink head that dissipated quickly.

Aroma is well... full of raspberries of course. It's very different from framboise if you were expecting that however. I got a very distinct preserves type of flavor. Very Smuckers-like I thought.

Taste was very tart and a touch sweet. Malt was not an afterthought either. Very malty. Caramel and toffee.

Body was very full and puckeringly sour at times.

Drinkability was so/so. I liked their Belgian Red cherry beer better but this was a nice dessert beer. Thanks to Kraft for allowing me to try this!

2.9/5  rDev -33.5%

From notes:

Received in a past trade with WilliamD. Thanks again Will, wherever you are.

Pours a very dark purplish plum/cherry red color with a thin pink foam head that quickly fades leaving no lacing.

Huge raspberry aroma with subtle oak and an overwhelming sweet sugary character. I know they use real fruit but it smells like artificialy flavored syrup.

Medium bodied with very soft, tight carbonation up front and a very sweet cloying raspberry flavor that dominates lingering into a slightly tart dry finish. There's a subtle earthy oak presence but again tastes mostly like artificial raspberry syrup. Just way too sweet and one dimensional for my taste.

2.93/5  rDev -32.8%

Notes from the 2012 BC Trailer Tasting Camping Tour with Rutager.

A: Cloudy red liquid with cream coloured head.

S: Raspberries, yeast and sour funk.

T: Raspberries up front, but underneath there was a sour funk taste that I could only describe as fish guts.

M: Medium viscosity and carbonation.

O: The funk ruined this beer for me, I thought the bottle may have been ruined; but Rutager didn't pick up on the fishy taste I was getting in the finish. Oh well.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company