Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 896 | Hads: 3,470
3.6/5  rDev -17.1%

Honestly, I don't understand the rave reviews for this beer. The aroma lends a bit of funk and complexity but, as a whole, it drinks like an intensely sweet Framboise, even by St. Louis and Lindeman's standards. Syrupy mouthfeel that gets worse as it warms. Only recommended for those who like things on the border of sickly sweet. Luckily, I can stand it, since I like sweet stuff.

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%

Bottle courtesy of Norm and Cam

A. Pours ruby red with golden edges.

S. Lots of raspberry sweetness - although it smells like real raspberries, not raspberry syrup.

T. Tart with lots of raspberry sweetness.

M. Medium body with medium level of carbonation.

D. I didn't enjoy this nearly as much as the two I split the bottle with. I was glad to try it, but I wouldn't be seeking it out again. My wife informed me that I will be seeking it out again for her, which is cool; I'm glad when she enjoys beers enough to have me seek them out.

3.62/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brown glass bottle with waxed over pressure cap served into a Guinness goblet in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Expectations are through the roof given the brewery.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger beige-khaki colour head of good cream and thickness, and great retention. Body colour is a semitransparent translucent vibrant ruby-amber. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Tart raspberry, heavy fruit esters, pale malts, hints of cranberry, and hints of floral ester hops. An above average strength aroma.

T: Delightful tart sugary raspberry, great estery malts, and heavy sugary notes. Delightful clean fruit notes. Impeccably balanced. Incredibly well built. Diverse and evocative fruit.

Mf: Smooth, wet, perfectly carbonated, and featuring ideal thickness. Complements the flavour pretty well.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. Hides its ABV well. I'd definitely have this again. Lives up to the hype. Another fantastic brew from New Glarus. Incredible.

High B

3.63/5  rDev -16.4%

A -Deep dark reddish brown color with an average lasting pinkish whitish head. Lots of lacing.

S - Raspberry, oak, light sweet malt aroma.

F/M - Raspberry, sweet candy like fruit flavors. Sweet malts. Light tart and light funky flavors. Little oak and vanilla too. Low bitterness with a clean dry finish. Medium body with moderately high carbonation.

D - Very good. Sweet, tart, refreshing and full flavored. This is a well brewed beer.

Bottle courtesy of Florida9. Poured into a wine glass

A: Dark red color, similar to iced tea. Left a 1/2 finger white head. Barely any retention or lacing

S: Nose is mostly juicy fruit. Lots of raspberry, strawberry and cherry. That's kinda it though

T: Mostly fruit here. Like Juicy Juice with a very small hint of booze. Raspberry and strawberry are dominant fruit flavors

M: Medium bodied. More carbonation than I expected, leaving a brief tingle on the tongue. Fruit finish

D: A light fruit beer. First glass was ok, but was too sweet after that. Glad I split this was someone. As a side note, I added campagne to make a delicious beverage

3.65/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from 750 bottle into snifter glasses.

A: Dark red, but clear. Small-medium head.

S: Smells more like a fruit juice than the usual raspberry jam-like sensation that framboises have. No strong funk, either.

T: The taste does have some of that jammy raspberry flavor, though. It's sweet, for the style, actually. However, the raspberry flavor is more fresh than with most raspberry beers I've tried (so, it's just the sweetness that's giving it the jam-like flavor).

M: Medium body. Low-medium carbonation.

O: One of the more unique raspberry beers, but I wish it was a lot more sour.

3.65/5  rDev -15.9%

Note from 8/7/11. Thanks to cmillward. A definite step up from the Belgian Red, but I still don’t quite understand all of the praise. Pours a transparent brownish ruby with no head, just a light smattering of bubbles on the surface, at first. Aroma is a nice mix of band-aid, juicy raspberry and earthy almost-funk. There’s less sweetness than the Red, which I appreciate, but still a bit too much, and a similar cough syrup note pops up in the taste. Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, probably a shade less than the Red. It’s a beer that I sorta enjoy but couldn’t handle, much less want, anything more than a small glass. It’s probably a good choice for blending with stouts, if you want to explore that.

3.66/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I like this beer. But I also like Lindeman's, St. Louis and Floris from time to time, as alluded to within this review, despite the tremendous confectionery sweetness presented by these brews. I know this is considered a 'fruit beer', and not Lambic, but it has more in common with the aforementioned brews than it does with 99% of the 'fruit beers'.

A - Red? Crimson, pink? I don't know. Amazing. Big two-fingers of pink foam, recedes to scant islands of froth.

S - It smells fruity, for sure. Sweet and tart, it smells generally of berries and cherry; I don't get specific raspberry.

T - It tastes powerful, yet simple; the flavor is sweet-tart fruit and that's about all. There just doesn't seem to be a tremendous amount of character, instead it is like unbelievably delicious fruit juice. There does not seem to be any alcohol whatsoever in this brew.

M - Lighter-bodied with a slight effervescence.

D - Although delicious, it is underwhelming due to its similarity to a Lindeman's/Floris-type Lambic, especially considering the general fanfare surrounding this beer and the frequent disdain for the Lindeman's/Floris-type of candy-ish Lambic.

3.68/5  rDev -15.2%

The raspberry flavor dominates, tastes delicious, and has a perfect tart balancing kick, but this beer is just too hard to drink. Really, I suggest splitting a bottle with at least 3 people. It was fantastic paired with some good vanilla bean ice cream for dessert, but I still had a lot left after and naturally I can't let it go to waste, but it's a bit of a chore to drink. Damn tasty, but bring friends.

3.68/5  rDev -15.2%

This classic sent courtesy of my 2007 Secret Santa, cartdan - thanks again!

Well, the raspberry tart is sure all, raspberry. From the deep burnt raspberry pour (with a lite cherry head), to the aroma - all raspberry.

The quaff sure had a different take - almost a silky raspberry puree. Semi-sweet at the start, semi-tart at the finish. I really like that it wasn't to sweet, and had a dry mouth to it. A bit syrupy and sticky.

Daughter luved it, but wow, I don't think I could do more than a glass or two, but that's the way of the fruit beers. So it has a nice taste that I couldn't do very much of in a session.

3.68/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Who you callin a tart? Poured a rather purplish-red hue of amber-brown color. How many other colors can we put in here. A fuzzy off-white head with a red hue as well. Very limited retention and lacing.

The nose is sweet with a more wine-cooler smell than beer. Raspberries dominate the nose with a somewhat acid backing. More of a pure raspberry versus more of a juicy like aroma. A subtle yeast note to it as well.

The taste is tricky. Sure it's a fruit beer that is a strong dominant raspberry flavor. And a more earthy tart flavor and leaves a sweeter puckering finish. BUT my problem here is what is its base style? If it is suppose to be a framboise, its lacks the malt balance and subtle Belgian characteristics. Overall it has more wine-cooler like flavors but I still like it. Torn here.

The body is sweet with a lot of residuals. The sweetness almost has a unattenuated feel to it. Makes it difficult to really drink a whole lot of. Carbonation is low. Although I enjoyed this beer for its unique qualities, I can't shake the wine cooler aspect of the beer. It is suppose to be a beer right?

3.68/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark purple color with a small pink head that left light lacing on the glass. Aroma of straight raspberries, very intoxicating. Sour raspberry taste, also very sweet, with grape peel and some acidity. Obviously given the 4%, no alcohol noticed here.

3.69/5  rDev -15%

Deep red-raspberry color with a pink head that abruptly dissipates. It has an absolutely terrific raspberry aroma. It reminds me of a raspberry pastry. It's flavor is very sweet. Almost too sweet. Has only a slight tart, sour flavor to it. The mouthfeel gives a bit of pucker and tingling sensations. Has average drinkablitily, as the sweetness becomes too much.

3.7/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Ambery reddish...starts with nice head which disappears quickly....no lace.

S- Smells like...raspberry. Slightly sweet. No hops...no malt.

T- Amazingly good. I normally don't like fruit beers, but this is perfectly balanced between sweet and tart.

M- Nice. Perfect carbonation level. Tingly but not unpleasant.

D- Not a huge fruit beer fan but this was good. Easy to drink because of the perfect balance and low ABV. I almost finished the whole bottle. It would be nice if they could put this in 12oz'ers because 1 would be perfect. The larger size is almost too much in one sitting (for me). While not cloying....this does stray from the malty/hop beverage I usually prefer. That said....a nice change from wine. Would go great with some chocolatey desserts and shared.

3.71/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Quite an odd one. Pours a hazy pinkish reddish color with only a smaller pink head that reduces quite quickly. Aroma is all raspberry. Really freshly picked raspberry. It's very aromatic too. Taste begins with a bit of raspberry skin tartness but soon the juices flow out. Really sweet, fruit gusher like, juice. The tartness is there but is overmatched by the juicy sweetness this raspberry drink offers. More carbonation, alcohol, anything please. Only the slighest hints of wheat and hops make there way in and really that's only when the beer warmed up on my second glass. A sticky acidic twinge finishes off this beer. Unusual, fruity, high quality in certain aspects but not so high quality in others.

3.71/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a deep red into my champagne flute with papaya on the edges and a small slightly rosy rotten raspberry colored head that quickly dissipates and leaves no lacing.

The smell is very candy-like. It is mostly sugar and raspberries with a hint of oak, I'm not a huge fan of the oak barrels New Glarus uses, there is just something a bit off with it that affects the scent.

The taste is phenomenal though, pure sweet and tart raspberry goodness. Not very sour, it is more of a tart flavor, hence the name. I definitely prefer the more balanced tartness over the acid bombs that some of these beers can be.

This is a great beer with just about any dessert, highly drinkable, drink it cold.

Had another bottle recently, had to dock it, doesn't have enough raspberry essence.

3.72/5  rDev -14.3%

Shared this bottle with some family.

The beer is ruby red with slight head frosty head

The aroma is a tart almost as a sour but raspberry very sweet and very fresh.

The taste is a full of raspberries and more raspberries, but malt does make an appearance in the taste come in after the carbonation builds nice

3.72/5  rDev -14.3%

A gift from my girl, I saved this one for a relaxing afternoon. So came such an afternoon in August and I chilled my beer in the fridge. Upon opening the large pint plus sized bottle, I was bombarded with the smell of raspberries! And thus begins the review.

The appearance looks more like a deep red, almost burgundy, cider. The head is minimal and dissipates quickly leaving a light lacing of tiny, almost champagne quality bubbles where the brew meets the glass.

The smell is of course that of raspberries. It reeks of raspberries! It's lovely fruity aroma reminds me of raspberry preserves, though not as thick. This aluring aroma entices my sweet-tooth and prompts me to take a taste.

Attack of the sun ripened raspberries comes to mind. The flavor is a full-on assault of raspberry goodness. Every aspect of the flavor of a raspberry is there from its tart and tangy zing to its candy-like sweetness. And through it all, you can still register, mostly in the finish, the ale that this advertises itself to be. A tiny but of the bitters come through and mix with the standard berry tartness at the end to give this ale a dry, acidic finish.

The mouthfeel reminds me of that of a nice champagne, and in retrospect, the finish does as well though not as tannic. To expound upon this, the carbonation is constant and about the same as that of a cider. The dryness left at the end is very much the same as well.

This is an enjoyable, sweet beer. If I may say so, this would be the perfect end to a light summer meal served with some plain or walnut short-bread. Pair it with a salad or some crusty bread for a winning combo. I would definitely recommend this to friends and family though it would be a real hit with the younger crowd and many of the ladies.

3.73/5  rDev -14.1%

Thank you to a friend for hooking me up. No clue how he got, but I'm glad I was able to acquire a bottle from him.

APPEARANCE: Pours into an Allagash tulip a dark burgundy red with a slightly darker than white head. It's takes a turbid pour to get going and ends up as a hearty collar with some splotchy bubbling.

SMELL: The smell is full of raspberries - both the real fruit kind and an extract-like kind. It's only slightly tart and funky and not much else.

TASTE: Again, major raspberry all around. It's slightly sweeter than one would like, but the tartness helps to give it some balance. There should be more to say, but mostly it would say "Raspberries!" This beer doesn't screw around.

MOUTHFEEL: Quite thick and syrupy with a low carbonation. I wish at least one of those 2 would be the opposite in order to lighten the beer up a bit.

DRINKABILITY: It's really delicious, but is probably a 'one of'. I'm definitely glad I split my bottle of this. This would be great paired with a dessert.

I'm feeling lucky I got to try this beer, but because of the effort involved getting it, I doubt I'll be having another for a while.

3.73/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

was really looking forward to drinking this one after trying the belgian red, and was not nearly as satisfied with it. very sweet, rasberry flavor just doesnt seem to work as well as the cherry did in the belgian red. was hoping for some tartness that wasnt there, just fruity sweetness. not a terrible beer, just not what i was hoping for

3.73/5  rDev -14.1%

A: Deep purple, cherry hues. Off white head is slow to form but quickly gains momentum. Head eventually fades to almost nothing.

S: Raspberry puree, slight musty character, a bit vinous. Comes off sugary as well.

T: Much like a carbonated fruit juice. Im thinking of a much more complex wine cooler, really. I cant shake the feeling that something is missing. Initial sweet raspberry flavors indicate some sort of punch mid sip, but the sugar and fruit juice just keeps on rolling. Not much tartness or funk, in this regard. As the glass warmed, however, I did notice more complexities including some red wine barrel. Slight mustiness from the nose also made an appearance in the finish as the glass warmed.

M: Not as thin as one would expect. Carbonation seemed surprisingly low, which detracted from drinkability given the style.

O: Pretty good. Again, I initially felt like something was missing here, though I settled right in and finished the bottle. For all of its sweetness, this beer could use a lot more carbonation to carry it along nicely.

3.74/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to badbeer for this trade a DLD last year.

A ton of carbonation sticking to the edges of the glass at first creates an inch of tan head that fades to a skim in just a couple of minutes. Body is a very deep brown with a bit of a murky hue. A fragrent nose brings about thoughts of raspberry chewy candy and a bit of candied malt. Enters the mouth with a long creamy tart feel. Notes of crisp apples, fresh raspberries, and even end a nice mellow malty sweetness is faint on the end of the palate. A very lengthy fresh sour feel is prominate on the finish and creates a pleasant mouthfeel. I speak a lot of the sour and tartness of this beer but it is not to harsh but well balanced with a touch of woodsy malt sweetness. Enjoyable for the style but drinkability says I still need to share the bottle with a friend. Another beer for the sour, tart brew fans.

3.74/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

had this beer for a few months and just sat on it, really excited to try it for the first time. i received this in one of my first trades, not even sure from who... sorry and thanks!!

a- cherry red to mahogany. basically no head, little carbonation and no lacing. hmmm.

s- well raspberries are there for sure, sour funk, and some vanilla yogurt.

t&m- a little let down but not bad at all, lots and lots of pureed raspberries, a tad bit funky, theres a sort of cold metal taste that is present and lingers. finishes like the name states, tart. very much like a raspberry liquid jolly rancher.

d- as its getting warmer i find i like it better, the more it was cold the more of that metal taste i was getting. it seems the taste gets overly redundant and that sour/tart taste at the end gets harder and harder to put down at the back end of this brew.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

I'm reviewing this simultaneously with the Lindemans Fram-bwaz, raspberry vs. raspberry.

Raspberry Tart is a turbid, raspberry puree-looking liquid. Not a whole lot of head or lacing. Think tomato juice, only with raspberries instead of tomatoes. It smells like candied raspberries, as opposed to the Lindemans' fresh raspberries. Still good, just not quite as good, and I don't think it smells nearly as strong as its cousin, the Wisconsin Belgian Red.

Taste isn't even all that sweet, and has an uncomfortable vegetable character lurking underneath. You can actually tasted some toasted maltiness in the finish.

Heavy, full mouthfeel is a little off-putting, though I guess this supposed to be more "beery" than a lambic.

Maybe I just don't like raspberries as much as cherries, because I liked the Belgian Red much more than this. Then again, I liked the Lindemans Fram-bwaz more than either, so perhaps Raspberry Tart is the weak link in New Glarus' fruit beer chain.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

750 ml bottle. This beer pours out a thickish looking deep purple. The bubbly head fades quickly. Big raspberry aroma. Syrupy raspberry flavor. The raspberries coat the mouth and becomes cloying. Still, the flavor is not artificial, so although it's a bit much, it's still tasty. I do not find this beer to be very drinkable. One glass is plenty. As far as fruit beers go, this is pretty good, but it does not seem much like beer. I prefer the Wisconsin Belgian Red.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company