Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 888 | Hads: 3,385
4.72/5  rDev +9%

750 mL wax-dipped bottle shared by jerz.

A: Elegant pink rose head rises impresses but dissipates quickly, leaving behind nothing and a complete absence of lacing. Deep burgundy color, dark red wine.

S: Raspberries, floral aroma with chrysanthemums. Hints of tartness.

T: A flood of raspberry bursts into my mouth, then a sour, tart, tingling essence surfaces and multiplies. By the swallow the acidity and tart flavors are tingling all over my mouth. Raspberry-centric, but the lambic qualities here shine through. With this beer New Glarus reveals why they are not just a leader for America, but for the rest of the world as well.

M: Light to medium bodied with a low carbonation that allows the tart qualities of the brew to shine through and frolic on my tongue.

D: Big fruit flavors, floral qualities, and intense tartness/acidity creates a beer that is complex on a level that can only be sipped. To be treasured and shared. This is a beer to share for sure, drinking a 750 solo would be a challenge, but this is a beer I would buy frequently if I lived in Wisconsin. This beer can only be described as incredible. (1,125 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9%

A - Beautiful deep ruby red color with decent carbonation. A nice whitish/pink head retention that dissipates quickly.

S - Dominant smell is raspberry. A nice sweet/tart/fresh smell of raspberries. I really didn't smell any other notes. A very unique smell profile and I love how fresh and 'real' the raspberries smell in the nose.

T - The taste is like nothing else, completely unique and the raspberries completely shine through. It's a great beer to sip as the sweetness is balanced by the tartness of the raspberries. The closest I can compare would be raspberry champagne. It's a nice blend between a beer and a champagne.

M - Nice carbonation, clean, crisp, very refreshing, but also surprisingly thick

O - Excellent beer, very interesting, very unique. I like Belgian Red slightly more but this beer is always outstanding. I love to drink this beer and find it a very outstanding fruit and dessert beer and I appreciate the complexity and craftsmanship of it every time I drink it. (992 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9%

This beer was poured into a flute glass.

Appearance: The beer has a very deep burgundy coloration. The head was one finger high with a creamy purple coloration. The head resolved into a ring of foam.

Smell: This beer is bursting with raspberry sweetness / tartness. This perfectly captures the fruity essence of raspberries.

Taste: This beer is a good pairing of sweet and tart raspberries. I would have liked a bit more tartness but this is still dam good.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is light bodied and well carbonated. The beer has a bit of acidity that breaks up the sweetness. This was a joy to drink from the moment I opened it until it was gone.

Thanks dhchatfield for the bottle. (711 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9%

Had my sis & bro-in-law over so the time seemed right to crack open some brews I was saving. Massive thanks to kevinv for tossing this my way for advocacy!

a - PINK! That's right folks, a pink beer. Nice pinkish creamy head. Different, and I love it.

s - In a word Raspberries.

t - It's like drinking candy. Raspberry wine coolers, only better. The flavor is juice-like...really fantastic.

m/d - A bit thin and not very beer-like, but totally awesome to drink. This is not something you would drink all night long, but a nice treat of sweetness to mix in...like dessert or to break up some of the heavier beers. This was a big hit and a treat for the night. (661 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9%

11/11/07- Received via Jetsbeer in a trade.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with a nice red wax coating around the neck. Has a marking code on the bottom of the label, but I have no idea how to read it. I aquired the bottle in 2005 sometime I believe, so it's at the very least 2 years old. Poured into my Alesmith tulip.

Appearance- Very murky almost dark blood red pour. Looks like cherry cough syrup. About a 1/2 inch off white reddish head...semi-creamy. Head evaporates quickly and leaves very minor lace markings.

Smell- Nothing but fresh raspberries here. Seems like a bit of cherries as well. Seems like it may be fairly sour.

Taste- Wow, I thought it was going to be a sour style beer, but it turns out it was more sweet. Sweet in a very good way. Taste like an orchard of fresh strawberries and cherries as well. Very mildly hopped...which I was expecting more as it said it used hallertau hops (aged ones), which probably makes sense for the muted hop flavors. Wonderful sweet and lightly sour brew. The best frambroise (of the sweet variety) I have had. Doesn't taste artificial like most of them.

Mouthfeel- Thick and viscous, but not quite syrupy. Starts off with a mid range carbonation and ends with a very soft sparkle. Super coating and leaves a great fruity sweet aftertaste.

Drinkability- Wow, I wonder if this would have been better fresh. I would love to get my hands on another of these. Will have to get it via trade though. Hat's off to New Glarus!! Thanks for this one Steven. (1,503 characters)

47th Review
Bottle into New Belgium snifter

From notes.

A: Deep red, almost crimson in color. 1.5 fingernail head on gentle pour.

S: Sweet, fresh raspberry field. It reminds me of growing up and picking raspberries in our backyard. I love when olfaction and memory click; this is a beautiful thing.

T: Succulent, fresh raspberry through and through. Start to finish that’s all I get here. Very sweet. I had to find the tartness, but that aspect of this experience was fun.

M: Clean and crisp. I sipped this over and over again looking for raspberry seeds, but couldn’t find any. Medium carbonation.

O: Smooth, tasty, and just plain excellent. You get what you expect here – nothing else. Raspberries start to finish and it is very clean. Honestly, I could not drink more than an 8 oz. pour, but the wife enjoys this immensely. As such, going forward, I’ll just indulge another tasty treat while she enjoys this. Overall, a great beer though...well done! (969 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Rooty tooty fresh and fruity? This stuff? No way, no how! This stuff done be the real deal! Raul imagines that if his hippie ex girlfriend - who made her own kombucha - started brewing beer... Yep! Raspberry Tart!

I love this beer and I miss ya, girl, but lets be real: I'm wearing my shoes when I walk inside the house. (322 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured into a tulip. Thanks to alcstradamus for this one.

4.5 A: Clear somewhere between ruby red and burgundy color. Two fingers of ever so slightly pink frothy head. Pretty good retention and moderate lacing.

4.0 S: Wow, the raspberries! Tart raspberries totally dominate the nose and don't allow for any other aromas to be perceived other than a general vinousness. Of course, I have no problem with this since raspberries smell great.

5.0 T: Wow again. Totally wasn't expecting it to be so full bodied and flavorful. Most fruit beers are scant on the fruit and make what tastes like a watered down beer mixed with a watered down fruit juice. Not this one! Whether justified or not, I really like Lindemans Framboise and this is in several ways a bigger, bolder version of that. Raspberries are pretty much the sole flavor and give only a mild tartness. Loads of residual sweetness, which could contribute to a low level of perceived tartness.

5.0 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation is spritzy and dances on the tongue. Somewhat sticky, but super smooth.

5.0 D: I really like it. I have another bottle in the cellar that I'm tempted to open up, but I must resist. Gotta share. The people of Pittsburgh need to know about this one. (1,254 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%

poured 750ml into wine chalice.

A - Dark ruby and purple hue with a creamy 2 finger dirty red muddled head. Retenition is quite good and a ring remains with spots of lacing.

S - Fresh overripe raspberries. Hints of some tart like fruit. If your grandmother ever made and canned her own jam, this is what it reminds you of. Such a wonderful smell.

T - Fresh raspberries with lemon zest. It really doesn't need to be anything else, because this is awesome.

M - Medium body with nice fizzy carbonation. Just a bit tart on the finish.

O - You will not find a better raspberry beer. This is the best. (600 characters)

25oz bottle thanks to the amazing nflmvp

Pours a beautifully clear reddish-purple raspberry color with a small pink head that thins. Thick lacing on the glass.

Fresh picked raspberry bouquet that's both sweet and tart - and oh, so inviting.

Rich raspberry flavor that lures you in with a slight sweetness upfront and then makes you pucker with an intense tartness. It's so incredibly tangy that your mouth starts watering the second you swallow it down. You are left wanting another sip, as the sensation of fresh picked raspberries lingers in the aftertaste.

Full body, mild carbonation.

This is a truly special brew. It's no session beer, as one glass contains enough pleasure and torment for your palate during the course of an evening. I wish that this were more accessible to me, as this one would always be in my stock and ready to go at a moment's notice. (878 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%

This was the gem of a box sent to me by a friend visiting the midwest. Cracked it open last night with a good friend early in the evening.

Far from the chrystaline sparkle promised on the bottle, this looked like very fine raspberry puree. Not lumpy, but thick and opaque. Pretty color, even that was muted. This is the only area where this one gets dinged.

I didn't know what to expect from this, flavor wise, but as soon as it hit my lips: oh, a framboise lambic! Compared with Lindeman's, this is a much fuller flavor all around. The initial tang made me jerk my head back, but after a brief recovery period, it was smooth sailing from there on out.

While it looked thick, it was quite smooth in the mouth. Not overly heavy, but it did have some weight to it, allowing the tartness to come through without being astringent.

If I had more than one bottle of this, I would be drinking it every day. (912 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%

It's a long drive from central Alabama to southern Wisconsin, but this is one reason why I make it once a year. As you cruise into New Glarus from the south, your car automatically turns right and takes you to the brewery. Later, you get back to your hotel room- and just have to go ahead and fish a bottle of Raspberry Tart out of the rest of the haul from this great little brewery.

Getting your opener through the murky red wax on the bottle, you pop off the cap...it's not so much a smell of raspberries that hits you right away, as it's a cloud that envelops your very being.

When you pour, you're struck by the crimson colour, and the frothy red-tinged head...and that smell of raspberries just keeps coming. You could sit there all night, just smelling this beer. But no....time to press forward...

As it passes your lips, the sweetness explodes with a wave of raspberry goodness. It's followed by a pleasant tartness....and more raspberries. With every sip, the flavour profile changes just a touch....but you can't help being drawn in by this sweet wonder from Wisconsin.

It's definitely a beer on the sweeter side...and some would say there's too much raspberry and not enough beer. That's what gives this beer part of its charm, to me- it's VERY different from most fruit beers. Most will love it or hate it. I've found little in the way of in-between opinions on this one. I've been won over by this one- and apparently my friends have been, as well....they keep asking me to bring them a bottle or two. I brought three cases back last time!

-UF (1,572 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks to BarrytheBear for this. Poured from 750ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep ruby red with a half finger of head.

Smell: Probably the best nose I've ever experienced on a fruit beer. Total raspberry bomb. Sweet raspberries, that;s pretty much it, but wow.

Taste: Tart, sweet raspberries. With name like Raspberry Tart, I'd be disappointed if it didn't taste like this. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and tart.

Drinkability: While I'm not a huge fan of overly sweet fruit beers, this one is a pure joy to drink. If I ever needed to convince a wine lover to drink beer, this would be the gateway beer. Need to trade for more. (661 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: strong ruby color tending towards brown. A finger of a tannish head that fades fairly quickly but still leaves a bit behind and a sticky lacing on the sides. Opaque but with quite a sparkle with light.

Smell:tons of raspberries. Very fresh berries with just a hint of tartness. Little to no malty character.

Taste: again the taste is dominated by raspberries but what else would you expect. They are quite juicy and just a little tart. Maybe some wheat characteristics but perhaps not enough to pick up without knowing it's there.

Mouthfeel: very light. And certainly refreshing. Good balance between sweet and tart. Just a little stickiness but not enough to take much away

Overall: a wonderfully refreshing beer. I just tried my first new glarus beer this week and I already can't get enough. This one is easily the best purely fruity beer I have had. Although I don't think it's perfect, there isn't much to change to get it there (952 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Poured a dark red that seems to be different levels of clearity in the purple color depending on the angle. There was a slightly tan and was plenty spread across the glass.

S - Very natural smelling sharp raspberry

T - Strong raspberry flavor that reminds me of biting into a fresh raspberry. The fresh flavor is especially impressive because I know this bottle is at least six months old. Fantastic flavor overall, by far one of the best fruit beers I have ever had.

M/D - Mouthfeel is tart and biting but the flavor is so good, I just don't care. The sweetness of this beer makes me glad I'm sharing it with a couple friends because the sweetness wouldn't make me want to drink the entire 750. (703 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%

I was at the New Glarus brewery a few weeks ago and picked this up. I've had the Wisconsin Red before (their cherry beer) but hadn't had this one yet, and being a raspberry lover I just had to try this one.
I'm glad I did! This is one of the best fruit beers I have ever drank! No taste of raspberry "syrup" here. It is all real raspberries. Color is a cloudy deep redish magenta. Kind of strange at first, but I really liked the color. Minimal head, but beautiful lacing as it quickly fell. Aroma is all about raspberries, with just a hint of grain in the background and just the lightest essence of wood, from the large 3000 gallon barrel it is aged in. The flavor is the best I have ever had from a fruit beer. Sweet, but with a powerful tartness to balance it. Just enough of the malt comes through to let you know you are still drinking beer, but this is definately all about the raspberries.
Again, I have to repeat, this is one of the best fruit beers I have ever drank! It's a great beer, and one that goes down quickly any time, but especially on a nice warm day just after mowing the lawn. (1,103 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Cheers to Jw347 for this one!

Pours burgundy/purple with 2+ fingers of noisy pink head. Great lacing & fairly good head retention

s: Super raspberry nose, fades as this warms

T: Juicy & tart raspberries. plus a little puckery sourness up front. Tartness & dryness dominate along a sweet raspberry vinaigrette as this warms. Finishes with a nice puckery sweet/tart flourish

MF: Light & sparkling, plus some acidity & just a touch of stickyness

Drinks really well, I believe the acidity & tartness would preclude me from sessioning on this. Easily one of the best beers at 4.0% abv, below, above or whatever! Also, easily the best fruit beer I've ever drank! (662 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours dark red, off-pink white head, dissipates fairly quickly and leaves somme nice lacing. Aroma of Raspberries and more raspberries.

Flavor of raspberries and the tart finish of the natural sourness associated with the fruit.

Awesome stuff! I want more. (258 characters)

poured from 750ml bottle into imperial pint glass

A-ruby red with a finger of head that fades away with out lacing

S-lots of raspberry nothing smelling of malt, hops or alcohol

T-just like the smell lots of raspberry flavor

M-has a nice creaminess

O-nice change of pace type beer that is easy to drink (307 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle, poured into a fluted glass:

Pours hazed with beautiful hues of raspberry. It is capped off with a pink head that has pretty nice retention for the style. Spotted trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of fresh, tart raspberries.

The taste of fresh raspberries are not at all "artificial" and are sweet and tart. A firm malt backbone and a touch of noble hops let you know this is beer and not fruit malt beverage. It has a candy-like raspberry character. Sweet and tart balanced perfectly in the finish.

It is very smooth. I wouldn't mind a bit more effervescence (I think), but it is just fine the way it is.

An incredible "dessert" brew. This is one of the best, if not the best, fruit beer I've ever had. It is full of raspberry but has perfect balance. Very tasty and highly recommended! (808 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bomber into Bell's tulip glass.

A: A clear and deep ruby red. Looks really pretty when you hold up to a light. At the risk of sounding redundant, I'm gonna say the color is that of raspberries--not hard to guess why.

S: Raspberries all the way, good mix of sweet and tart raspberry smells. Not a lot of beer smells, just raspberries.

T: Excellent! Like the nose, it's all raspberries. The balance between sweet and tart flavors is fantastic. The beer's name is slightly misleading, as this really isn't a super tart beer (it's not a sour for sure).

M: Like the Wisconsin Belgian Red, this one drinks a little like a fruit soda. Extremely drinkable, and even though the mouthfeel is a little weird for a beer, it's less weird than the Belgian Red and doesn't really detract from the enjoyment of a world class beer.

O: Overall this is very similar to the Wisconsin Belgian Red, but slightly better IMO as there is a little more tartness to balance out the sweetness. This is pretty much the perfect fruit beer, and probably in my top ten favorite beers overall.

9.7/10 (1,085 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks to Homerbag for this one!

Pours a sexy deep ruby-red color with remarkable clarity, two-finger pink head fades into a fine foamy layer atop the beer, a few stray dots of lacing on the glass. Smell is rich, decadent raspberry madness. Tastes like a raspberry sorbet, extreme tartness creeps up on you after the swallow, and zings the back and sides of the tongue like something you'd find in your Halloween candy bag. Tartness and raspberry flavors linger on and on, very finely carbonated and refreshing...you could pair this with all kinds of desserts. Based on this, the Wisconsin Belgian Red, and the Apple Ale, I can't imagine a brewery producing better fruit beers. Just fantastic stuff. (700 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - the beer pours a nice ruby cherry hue with some off-white head present. A little bit of sticky looking lacing persists while the bubbly carbonation, while present throughout consumption, fades a bit while settling.

S - up front, it's a funky yeast. Immediately after, it's all raspberry jam, sour fruit, and some really slight funk notes.

T - deliciously raspberry jammy...I was looking for the seeds you'd find in such a jam while drinking this down. It's got those sour lambic notes without being bitter or cloying; there are some apple tart-crisp flavors; damn tasty!

M - this beer puts out a nice bubbly carbonation with those sour apple/raspberry pucker notes that hit the tongue nicely; it's not too gushy and pings those salivating glands strong

O - this is an awesome raspberry ale that probably crosses a few style lines, like cider and lambic, to perfection. It's deliciously potable and my only wish is that I had cases. Great brew! (952 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +9.9%

There are not many breweries in the entire world that make constantly amazing and well constructed brews, i mean, with New Glarus, it will always be something highly enjoyable..

Raspberry Tart goes over this rule, an amazing brew!

Pours a vibrant red with a man pink head, great lacing of course and exceptional strength of the foam ..

Smell is of light berry and fruit juice, subtle...

Pure wonderment in a bottle, bliss in glass, enjoyment at its core, just simply a joy to drink..
The sweetness and mouthfeel are so polite and refined, while still holding there ground, full and respectable, a beer! a good beer!!

sitting here on such a nice day with a beer of this caliber i now know what lottery winners do on their private islands..

Raspberry Tart!

thanks to John for getting me a bottle, i will need more..
at the very least to inject into my veins!! (867 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

A- ruddy combination of ruby and pink. an inch of garnet head. not much lacing

S- OMGRASPBERRIES. but seriously, amazing smell, liquid raspberry but not in a cloying soda-ish way. lots of tart juice and lemon zest too.

T- sublime, fresh picked raspberries, a little acetic on the finish, great transition from sweet up front to tart.

M- prickly carbonation and very light

O- best fruit beer i've had, very unique and epitomizes how extreme beer can get. very lucky to come across this one on the shelves in NY! (515 characters)

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company