Raspberry Tart | New Glarus Brewing Company

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

Added by xlperro on 04-21-2002

Reviews: 917 | Ratings: 3,656
4.69/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep, dark raspberry puree red. Yummy red. Mouth watering. If I was some sort of monkey and I saw this color in nature I would know that whatever it was would be good to eat. Opaque.

Deep raspberry odor. Very sour, very tart, and a definite kick of lambic yeast. Good, but not as insane-o good as the Belgian Red.

Oh that's tasty. Like a raspberry fruit roll up. Or actually, more like a handful of raspberries along with some Belgian yeast in the back.

This is like perfectly alcoholic fruitjuice. Wonderful.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared with my wife. Poured into my Bruery snifter.

A: Wonderfull raspberry red. Some bubbly reddish/white head.

S: Tons of fresh raspberries.

T: Just like the smell. Fresh, sweet raspberries. Exactly as expected.

M: Bubbly and refreshing. A lot like a sparkling champagne.

O: One of the best fruit beers out there. Hopefully one day NG will distribute outside of WI.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cheers to my friends who brought this back from Wisconsin with them!

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into two small chalices. The bottle's neck was dipped in wax, though to what end I'm not sure.

Pours a plum red, with a minimal creme colored head that clings around the rim of the glass. The light glints beautifully through the beer, looking like a garnet.

Has a fruity, malty aroma, with plenty of raspberry, strawberry and cherry smells. The fruity smell is quite sweet, but not overly so.

Starts fruity sweet but not cloyingly so; there's a fair amount of raspberry tart to balance out the fructose. Honeysuckle, raspberry, cherry, and strawberry combine for a fair amount of sweet fruit, tempered by a growing tartness from the raspberry that ends slightly sour, but not bitter.

Light to medium bodied, with enough tart bite to pucker the mouth a bit.

A very nice and easy drinking fruit beer, this is second only to Blushing Monk for as far as being a well balanced tart fruit beer. Definitely a must try for the fruit beer crowd

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 4-pack of 12oz bottles when I visited New Glarus back in May. Shipped them back to NH along with a number of other beers. This is the first one I've cracked since returning.

A short time after eating a great meal on this lazy Sunday night I decided to relax and have a Raspberry Tart for dessert. It all started when I poured the heavy, cloudy, deep-hued red brew into my Goose Island tulip glass. I was presented with what looked like a glass of puree topped with small islands of quickly-dissipating head scattered around the surface.

The smell is of pure, fresh molten raspberries. Definitely a great dessert beer.

The taste is as though someone smashed you in the mouth with a baseball bat made of raspberries. The carbonation is very even with a moderate syrupy feel over the tongue- yes, this tastes like a glass of fruit. Awesome!

There is a tart kick to this brew which is gently evened out by the sweetness. The finish is a crisp, malty raspberry finish that doesn't linger too long.

Raspberry Tart is as enjoyable as it is hard to get. If you live in WI and are near New Glarus, I'm definitely jealous! I'm glad to have been able to experience this beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first fruit beer and shared with family members who aren't big beer lovers.

General consensus: pretty dang good.

Pours a glowing dark red with lacing of head around the edge of the glass. Smells like wine (and obviously raspberries).

The tartness is evident from the onset and balanced quickly with the sweetness, ending in a sour finish. This beer has a very powerful yet balanced flavor, not allowing any one aspect become too dominant. Mouthfeel reminds me of a cider.

Really good beer, worth the price as long as the purchase doesn't become a habit. I think I'll try the Wisconsin Belgian Red soon.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep and murky raspberry color with a pink head. Good retention and lacing.

Lots of sweet and tart raspberries, delicous bouquet.

Again a huge bouquet of freshly picked berries. A perfect balance between sweet and sour.

Crisp and delicate carbonation with a medium body. So welcoming as it silks over the palate.

Like any good lambic, this can be enjoyed all day long. Pair well with fine cheese. Best lambic outside Belgian and one of the best anywhere.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle: This one pours a murky browish-red color. Mine had a small fizzy head on it that went away almost immediately. No lacing. Nice nose. It is pretty much tart raspberry and not much else. There is a good body to it, but still a lighter mouthfeel. There is some effervescence in your mouth. The taste is mainly tart raspberries, but it is not overpowering. It is very unique. It is almost hard to classify this as a beer, but it is very good none the less. I would definitely buy this one again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark red with an off-white head with some pink hues, short retention, but good lacing. Smells just like raspberry jam, with a hint of wheat. Taste (surprisingly) is loaded with raspberries, with a good fizzy carbonation. There's a light hop presence followed by a nice sour and tart finish. Medium in body with great carbonation that is pleasing on the tongue. Definitely a dessert beer that I could enjoy quite often.

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

A= pours an actual raspberry red color with a tiny head that doesn't last a second before falling to a ring around the glass and leaving no lacing at all.
S= raspberry all the way. I really can't describe too much more.
T= really really true raspberry flavor. I feel like I can almost actually taste the seeds from the raspberries. Not the candy raspberry thing but a real raspberry taste.
M= high to medium carbonation.
D= The highest. I think this is the most drinkable beer I have ever had. I could literally drink this forever. Amazing beer all around. Not too much else to say about it. Not a fake lindeman's raspberry flavor but a real taste to it. Amazing.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml. There is no dating information, but this was purchased for me in WI in early April. Poured this into a stemmed white wine glass.

A: Pours a really pretty pink color. About a finger of bright white head. Nicely carbonated. Effervescent like a champagne.

S: Smells like an extremely natural raspberry fruit juice. A little white grape as well. There is some MILD malt notes hidden behind it that lead to some grassy notes, but mostly its all delicious fruit.

T: Epic natural raspberry flavor. Completely natural fruit, not fake BS. Nicely tart and refreshing on the tip of the tongue. You get a little white grape hints. Nice dry finish. Wine/champagne like. This was a winner even with the non-beer drinkers at the gathering.

M: Light to medium bodied.

O: I like this much more than the Wisconsin Belgian Red but that is probably because I like raspberries more!

4.71/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

They actually have Raspberry Tart at the gas station right down the road now...sounds like trouble. I poured this from the fridge into a stemless wine glass.

L: Pours a cherry juice/cola color with an inch of pink-tinged off-white head that dissipates after a little while and leaves just a bit of cling on the glass. Some moderate carbonation visible.

S: Heavenly. It's actually a bit incredible how much fruit flavor comes out in the bouquet. Cherry and raspberry are the predominant notes, but there's also some fig and plum in there, as well.

T: Big fruit all the way. Cherry, raspberry, plum/prune, and just a hint of grape are there at the start and the finish, only changing tone and melding beautifully as the taste progresses. The middle and back allow a bit of the malts to show their character. Despite the name--and it certainly does have some beautiful tartness from the raspberries--this one is decidedly sweet. In a very good way.

F: As the name suggests, this one gets you on the ol' tart receptors. But it's also quite smooth, well-balanced, and expertly carbonated. It goes down so nice, you'll swear that you just drank 8 oz, instead of the whole 750 ml.

O: I'm a huge fan of what New Glarus does with fruit in its beers. They really are expert craftsmen, and they continue to deliver new and intriguing brews. This was actually the first fruit beer of theirs I tried, and I still marvel at how good it is. This one is well-worth seeking out.

4.71/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours with a tight creamy amber head, the aroma is lacto and raspberries, the flavor starts sweet turns tart and then slowly dries up at the end, the mouthfeel is very nice and not to thin and perhaps slightly oily. Overall one of the best examples.

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

22oz bomber poured into wine glasses.

Fizzy deep magenta grew, beautiful, very little head.

The aroma is as perfect a fresh raspberry aroma as one can imagine. Hint of wood underneath.

Just a magnificent use for delicious fresh raspberries. This beer/fruit wine is perfectly tart and sweet, layers of wonderful clear fruit flavor, the hops and wheat in the brew providing a complementary backbone that lets the raspberries shine. I can't think of a more perfect beverage for Thanksgiving dinner.

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

750 mL wax-dipped bottle shared by jerz.

A: Elegant pink rose head rises impresses but dissipates quickly, leaving behind nothing and a complete absence of lacing. Deep burgundy color, dark red wine.

S: Raspberries, floral aroma with chrysanthemums. Hints of tartness.

T: A flood of raspberry bursts into my mouth, then a sour, tart, tingling essence surfaces and multiplies. By the swallow the acidity and tart flavors are tingling all over my mouth. Raspberry-centric, but the lambic qualities here shine through. With this beer New Glarus reveals why they are not just a leader for America, but for the rest of the world as well.

M: Light to medium bodied with a low carbonation that allows the tart qualities of the brew to shine through and frolic on my tongue.

D: Big fruit flavors, floral qualities, and intense tartness/acidity creates a beer that is complex on a level that can only be sipped. To be treasured and shared. This is a beer to share for sure, drinking a 750 solo would be a challenge, but this is a beer I would buy frequently if I lived in Wisconsin. This beer can only be described as incredible.

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Beautiful deep ruby red color with decent carbonation. A nice whitish/pink head retention that dissipates quickly.

S - Dominant smell is raspberry. A nice sweet/tart/fresh smell of raspberries. I really didn't smell any other notes. A very unique smell profile and I love how fresh and 'real' the raspberries smell in the nose.

T - The taste is like nothing else, completely unique and the raspberries completely shine through. It's a great beer to sip as the sweetness is balanced by the tartness of the raspberries. The closest I can compare would be raspberry champagne. It's a nice blend between a beer and a champagne.

M - Nice carbonation, clean, crisp, very refreshing, but also surprisingly thick

O - Excellent beer, very interesting, very unique. I like Belgian Red slightly more but this beer is always outstanding. I love to drink this beer and find it a very outstanding fruit and dessert beer and I appreciate the complexity and craftsmanship of it every time I drink it.

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

This beer was poured into a flute glass.

Appearance: The beer has a very deep burgundy coloration. The head was one finger high with a creamy purple coloration. The head resolved into a ring of foam.

Smell: This beer is bursting with raspberry sweetness / tartness. This perfectly captures the fruity essence of raspberries.

Taste: This beer is a good pairing of sweet and tart raspberries. I would have liked a bit more tartness but this is still dam good.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is light bodied and well carbonated. The beer has a bit of acidity that breaks up the sweetness. This was a joy to drink from the moment I opened it until it was gone.

Thanks dhchatfield for the bottle.

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

Had my sis & bro-in-law over so the time seemed right to crack open some brews I was saving. Massive thanks to kevinv for tossing this my way for advocacy!

a - PINK! That's right folks, a pink beer. Nice pinkish creamy head. Different, and I love it.

s - In a word Raspberries.

t - It's like drinking candy. Raspberry wine coolers, only better. The flavor is juice-like...really fantastic.

m/d - A bit thin and not very beer-like, but totally awesome to drink. This is not something you would drink all night long, but a nice treat of sweetness to mix in...like dessert or to break up some of the heavier beers. This was a big hit and a treat for the night.

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

11/11/07- Received via Jetsbeer in a trade.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with a nice red wax coating around the neck. Has a marking code on the bottom of the label, but I have no idea how to read it. I aquired the bottle in 2005 sometime I believe, so it's at the very least 2 years old. Poured into my Alesmith tulip.

Appearance- Very murky almost dark blood red pour. Looks like cherry cough syrup. About a 1/2 inch off white reddish head...semi-creamy. Head evaporates quickly and leaves very minor lace markings.

Smell- Nothing but fresh raspberries here. Seems like a bit of cherries as well. Seems like it may be fairly sour.

Taste- Wow, I thought it was going to be a sour style beer, but it turns out it was more sweet. Sweet in a very good way. Taste like an orchard of fresh strawberries and cherries as well. Very mildly hopped...which I was expecting more as it said it used hallertau hops (aged ones), which probably makes sense for the muted hop flavors. Wonderful sweet and lightly sour brew. The best frambroise (of the sweet variety) I have had. Doesn't taste artificial like most of them.

Mouthfeel- Thick and viscous, but not quite syrupy. Starts off with a mid range carbonation and ends with a very soft sparkle. Super coating and leaves a great fruity sweet aftertaste.

Drinkability- Wow, I wonder if this would have been better fresh. I would love to get my hands on another of these. Will have to get it via trade though. Hat's off to New Glarus!! Thanks for this one Steven.

47th Review
Bottle into New Belgium snifter

From notes.

A: Deep red, almost crimson in color. 1.5 fingernail head on gentle pour.

S: Sweet, fresh raspberry field. It reminds me of growing up and picking raspberries in our backyard. I love when olfaction and memory click; this is a beautiful thing.

T: Succulent, fresh raspberry through and through. Start to finish that’s all I get here. Very sweet. I had to find the tartness, but that aspect of this experience was fun.

M: Clean and crisp. I sipped this over and over again looking for raspberry seeds, but couldn’t find any. Medium carbonation.

O: Smooth, tasty, and just plain excellent. You get what you expect here – nothing else. Raspberries start to finish and it is very clean. Honestly, I could not drink more than an 8 oz. pour, but the wife enjoys this immensely. As such, going forward, I’ll just indulge another tasty treat while she enjoys this. Overall, a great beer though...well done!

4.73/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Rooty tooty fresh and fruity? This stuff? No way, no how! This stuff done be the real deal! Raul imagines that if his hippie ex girlfriend - who made her own kombucha - started brewing beer... Yep! Raspberry Tart!

I love this beer and I miss ya, girl, but lets be real: I'm wearing my shoes when I walk inside the house.

4.73/5  rDev +9%

Poured into a tulip. Thanks to alcstradamus for this one.

4.5 A: Clear somewhere between ruby red and burgundy color. Two fingers of ever so slightly pink frothy head. Pretty good retention and moderate lacing.

4.0 S: Wow, the raspberries! Tart raspberries totally dominate the nose and don't allow for any other aromas to be perceived other than a general vinousness. Of course, I have no problem with this since raspberries smell great.

5.0 T: Wow again. Totally wasn't expecting it to be so full bodied and flavorful. Most fruit beers are scant on the fruit and make what tastes like a watered down beer mixed with a watered down fruit juice. Not this one! Whether justified or not, I really like Lindemans Framboise and this is in several ways a bigger, bolder version of that. Raspberries are pretty much the sole flavor and give only a mild tartness. Loads of residual sweetness, which could contribute to a low level of perceived tartness.

5.0 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation is spritzy and dances on the tongue. Somewhat sticky, but super smooth.

5.0 D: I really like it. I have another bottle in the cellar that I'm tempted to open up, but I must resist. Gotta share. The people of Pittsburgh need to know about this one.

4.73/5  rDev +9%

poured 750ml into wine chalice.

A - Dark ruby and purple hue with a creamy 2 finger dirty red muddled head. Retenition is quite good and a ring remains with spots of lacing.

S - Fresh overripe raspberries. Hints of some tart like fruit. If your grandmother ever made and canned her own jam, this is what it reminds you of. Such a wonderful smell.

T - Fresh raspberries with lemon zest. It really doesn't need to be anything else, because this is awesome.

M - Medium body with nice fizzy carbonation. Just a bit tart on the finish.

O - You will not find a better raspberry beer. This is the best.

25oz bottle thanks to the amazing nflmvp

Pours a beautifully clear reddish-purple raspberry color with a small pink head that thins. Thick lacing on the glass.

Fresh picked raspberry bouquet that's both sweet and tart - and oh, so inviting.

Rich raspberry flavor that lures you in with a slight sweetness upfront and then makes you pucker with an intense tartness. It's so incredibly tangy that your mouth starts watering the second you swallow it down. You are left wanting another sip, as the sensation of fresh picked raspberries lingers in the aftertaste.

Full body, mild carbonation.

This is a truly special brew. It's no session beer, as one glass contains enough pleasure and torment for your palate during the course of an evening. I wish that this were more accessible to me, as this one would always be in my stock and ready to go at a moment's notice.

4.73/5  rDev +9%

This was the gem of a box sent to me by a friend visiting the midwest. Cracked it open last night with a good friend early in the evening.

Far from the chrystaline sparkle promised on the bottle, this looked like very fine raspberry puree. Not lumpy, but thick and opaque. Pretty color, even that was muted. This is the only area where this one gets dinged.

I didn't know what to expect from this, flavor wise, but as soon as it hit my lips: oh, a framboise lambic! Compared with Lindeman's, this is a much fuller flavor all around. The initial tang made me jerk my head back, but after a brief recovery period, it was smooth sailing from there on out.

While it looked thick, it was quite smooth in the mouth. Not overly heavy, but it did have some weight to it, allowing the tartness to come through without being astringent.

If I had more than one bottle of this, I would be drinking it every day.

4.74/5  rDev +9.2%

It's a long drive from central Alabama to southern Wisconsin, but this is one reason why I make it once a year. As you cruise into New Glarus from the south, your car automatically turns right and takes you to the brewery. Later, you get back to your hotel room- and just have to go ahead and fish a bottle of Raspberry Tart out of the rest of the haul from this great little brewery.

Getting your opener through the murky red wax on the bottle, you pop off the cap...it's not so much a smell of raspberries that hits you right away, as it's a cloud that envelops your very being.

When you pour, you're struck by the crimson colour, and the frothy red-tinged head...and that smell of raspberries just keeps coming. You could sit there all night, just smelling this beer. But no....time to press forward...

As it passes your lips, the sweetness explodes with a wave of raspberry goodness. It's followed by a pleasant tartness....and more raspberries. With every sip, the flavour profile changes just a touch....but you can't help being drawn in by this sweet wonder from Wisconsin.

It's definitely a beer on the sweeter side...and some would say there's too much raspberry and not enough beer. That's what gives this beer part of its charm, to me- it's VERY different from most fruit beers. Most will love it or hate it. I've found little in the way of in-between opinions on this one. I've been won over by this one- and apparently my friends have been, as well....they keep asking me to bring them a bottle or two. I brought three cases back last time!

-UF