1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,240 | Reviews: 827 | Show All Ratings:
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Thanks to sprinkle for the bottle. Pours a murky, brownish maroon. Head quickly recedes. Smells of fresh, sweet, buttery raspberries, and there is a faint barnyard scent.

Taste is of sweet, only slightly tart raspberries, and some pale, maybe crystal malt. Lively, effervescent mouthfeel, thick, like they pureed the hell out of some raspberries and put them in this beer. Along with New Glarus' Wisconsin Belgian Red, this is the best fruit beer I've ever had.

03-24-2006 09:56:57 | More by Sephiroth
WeymouthMike

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The bottle is great with the wax cap and great description of the contents. Appearance is purplish/red with some transparency at the edges. Smell is 100% rasberry and nothing wrong with that. Taste is rasberry with some bitterness and very little carbonation. Mouthfeel is smooth with a dry finish. Drinkability would probably be limited to one bottle not due to the alcohol but the sweetness. This would be great for a sunday morning brunch .

08-24-2006 00:40:41 | More by WeymouthMike
bigbelcher

Arizona

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

More like drinking a fruit juice than like drinking any other fruit beer, other than their own cherry beer. Huge raspberry flavor and aroma. Nice deep rich red color. Very, very drinkable. The perfect beer to give to a girl who says that they don't like beer, but why bother wasting such a good beer on a girl that you shouldn't be going out with in the first place.

10-03-2006 14:24:59 | More by bigbelcher
DrJay

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Got this in a recent trade with EliteDigger. Thanks Scott!
Poured a murky, dark red with a thick, dark pinkish red cap. The foam settled to a thin skim and solid collar of soapy bubbles, leaving lots of spotty lacing on the glass. Smelled of fresh raspberries - when I closed my eyes that's all I could think of. Even the aroma of earthy seeds was captured. The flavour was heavy on fresh raspberry character too, but with added complexity. It started on the sweet side with balanced tartness slowly taking over. There seemed to be a bit of grainy malt just at the edge of perception along with a mild, mellow spicy character. Earthy raspberry seeds and tartness lingered in the finish. Full bodied with a little stickiness, carbonation was lively yet contributed a smoothness to the texture. Finished on the dry side. Great stuff and super drinkable. Definitely world class.

03-03-2008 00:21:32 | More by DrJay
jenitivecase

Kansas

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Went to the brewery this weekend with EmperorStan and picked up a case (well, he did, at least).

A: Excellent color. Deep, rich garnet, with excellent depth of color. Pours with a small, white head which disappears rather quickly - lack of head retention is the only reason this score isn't a perfect 5.

S: Mmm, raspberries. There's just lots of fresh, delicious fruit - sweet, yet not too sweet. Alluring.

T: Again, raspberries. Also, beer. Harmony. Most fruit beers are clearly beer with fruit or fruit with beer... this is more of just fruitbeer. Fantastic.

M: Good body. Goes down smoothly, but I'd like to see a bit more carbonation (just a little). Sticky, but not in a bad way.

D: Let's be honest, I could drink the entire case right now with nooo problem.

10-20-2008 01:38:42 | More by jenitivecase
semibaked

Kentucky

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into my DFH Signature Class.

A - Pours pretty thin and a dark ruby with about an inch of light pink head and has a ton of carbonation in the body.

S - Just pure raspberries, smells amazingly fresh. It also has a bit of sugar and some floral notes.

T - Man the taste of raspberries in this is just outrageous. Great fresh raspberry tartness and I am loving every drop of it.

M - Very light body, super super carbonated, and a slight slickness.

D - Ya this stuff is awesome, If you find it BUY IT!. New Glarus just makes amazing beers and this is probably my favorite so far. Great Stuff!

07-13-2010 00:10:23 | More by semibaked
nickapalooza86

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured a glorious ruby red with a 1 finger tan head that goes quickly.

Smell is great, it is exactly what you would think it would be, Rasberry, sourness, sweetness.

Taste is unreal tons of rasberry, a good sourness or tartness I guess. That is about it not in a bad way the flavors are so big that is all you need!

Mouthfeel is sharp at first but becomes really sticky at the end.

Well I have had this before but being in WI you just never think about reviewing it because it is always around. It is always around because it is awesome. We here in WI are really blessed to access to the best fruit beers on the planet and they are avaliable all the time!

03-17-2012 01:47:57 | More by nickapalooza86
MadScientist

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

I tried this two bottle on back to back nights and with the score for the fresh bottle.

This is a bottle that a friend picked up last month.

A: A light ruby red with an off-white tinted a slight red. The persistent rocky head settles to a cap but never goes away and leaves lacing on the glass.

S: Just about the most amazing thing I've ever smelled. The very strong raspberry aroma dominates with a moderate malt. The berry aroma doesn't stop and there are other lighter fruit notes of strawberries and rhubarb at moderate levels. There is a very faint vanilla aroma in the background.

T: Enormous amounts of fresh raspberry flavor like a fresh sorbet. There is a moderately-light sweetness but the balance is tart with a moderate tartness and a very light sourness.

M: Moderately-light bodied with a a moderately-high level of carbonation.

O: This is fruit beer that makes people who don't enjoy fruit beers beg their friends to pick up a couple bottles next time their in Wisconsin. A world class raspberry Lambic for adults and can't think of anything else I'd want changed in the beer.

This is a bottle I bought while visiting Madison in November 2011.

A: A bright and clear red darker than a like a rose champagne.
The head is off-white almost very light tan with just a slight hit of pink having a good retention. It does settle after a couple minutes to a ring of foam with a large raft and a quick swirl revives it. 4.0/5

S: A big hit of freshly muddled raspberry at first, but with age the raspberry aroma comes down enough to smell something else unlike when it was fresh. There is some moderately light malt and dark fruit aromas coming along with a little something else like a very light sourness. Still no hops nor diacetyl. 4.0/5

T: Tons of fresh raspberries with a with moderate tartness and a light sourness balanced by a light sweetness. No noticeable hops bitterness nor flavor. 4.5/5

M: Soft and fluffy with a medium light body and a fine moderately-high carbonation level. There is some slickness on the palate. 4.0

O: The berry flavors and aroma have become muted with age definitely more pronounced in the younger bottle. Still an amazing raspberry ale with what seems more like an Oud Bruin than a Lambic base style. 4.5/5

08-08-2012 01:16:03 | More by MadScientist
dar482

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

The beer comes in a dark mahogany red with a bit of brown with a good amount of head and lots of fizziness coming up.

The aroma is just juicy fresh raspberries. It's so sweet, but the highlight is the amount of tartness in there. There's also that fermented fruit and oak in there.

The flavor follows with just pure raspberries. It really just tastes like actual raspberries without that medicine or candy taste, even with a beer like Founders Rubeaus. It's just a perfect amount of raspberry sweetness and then it hits you with tons of tartness. Almost to the point of a lambic, but not quite. Then the finish gets you with a bit of oak, more tart drying, and champagne like carbonation.

This really is the best fruit beer I've had. The essence of raspberry is totally encapsulated in this beer.

09-19-2013 03:29:42 | More by dar482
brakspear

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

An amazing beer with such an intense raspberry aroma that at first when I poured it, I thought a neighbor was baking a raspberry pie! A dark and murky garnet coloring topped with a wispy pink head that looks fantastic. The aroma is raspberry...all raspberry, fresher than if you were crushing berries right off the vine in your hand. The taste is fruit up front, followed with a sharp acidic tanginess, that mellows in the finish. The body is light and slightly fizzy.

If you serve this to the unprepared, be ready for them to be shocked at first, then curious, then finally addicted and asking for more....

10-17-2002 20:16:53 | More by brakspear
yankeeheel

Maine

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a very dark red with a nice red tinged foamy head. Good retention and lacing.

Smells like raspberries.

Tastes like raspberries. Berries everywhere. Nothing but berries. I'd go on about any other flavors but there aren't any. It is what it is and it is damn tasty.

Mouthfeel is a little too sweet, but what do you want, everything?

Wow, what can I say. If there's a better fruit beer bring it on.

04-09-2004 00:32:25 | More by yankeeheel
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

I appreciate raspberries. This was very natural in every way, colour, odour, freshness, and a meal in itself. Mondial 2005. Sweet to start, with tartness in middle, and finishes with refreshing slightly sweet aftertaste.
A bottle two years later courtesy of Derek. Just as good. What taste for low ABV.

06-05-2005 04:56:19 | More by Sammy
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Lucent magenta with brilliant raspberry red highlights when backlit. The rosy pink head is more dense than expected and looks for all the world like a piece of shortcake saturated with berry juice. I doubt that much lace with be forthcoming, but that doesn't bother me in the least. This is a great looking fruit beer.

I have to hand it to the good folks at New Glarus. With Wisconsin Belgian Red and now Raspberry Tart, they've created the two finest fruit beer noses in all the world. I don't know how long it took to come up with the final recipe, but they've achieved raspberry beer perfection with regards to the aroma. It's both sweet and tart with nothing on display except the essence of the berries themselves. Wow! seems inadequate.

Raspberry Tart is as amazing as I thought it would be once I tasted Belgian Red. Check that, actually it's better. As in... better than I thought it would be and better than Belgian Red. It's probably too close to call, they're both the finest examples of their style in existence, but I can't imagine a better, more dizzyingly delicious concoction than that which sits before me at this moment. The fact that I like raspberries more than cherries is probably a factor.

As in the nose, there's very little present other than the berries themselves. What puts this beer into orbit is the complex combination of sweet and tart. I'm not enough of a zymurgist to know what aging in oak vats contributes or why the Hallertau hops need to be a year old. My guess is that at least the first of those is absolutely critical to the tangy fermented flavor that gives Razz Tart its soul and elevates it above mere fruit juice.

Even though I'm not big on pairing beer with sweets, I can't imagine a better accompaniment to a gooey fudge brownie or a dish of vanilla bean ice cream. I don't believe that it's at all unwarranted to call this the best fruit beer in the world. The sweetness limits drinkability somewhat, although if I use the question 'would I have another?' as my sole criterion, a bump in score would be a no-brainer.

My first thought was that the mouthfeel wasn't quite as thick and as syrupy as my memory of Belgian Red. Now, I'm not so sure. As the beer sits, it comes together beautifully and is now the very definition of heavily silky. This beer is a mouth party of the highest order! Since I have no idea how it could be improved... another perfect.

I don't know what else to say. I've used just about every adjective for 'great' that I can think of and I still feel that my ramblings have been inadequate to describe the... uh... greatness of Raspberry Tart. I hope this beer keeps as well as I think it does because I'll be clearing out Madison the next time I make the trip. Simply stunning.

09-10-2006 22:00:32 | More by BuckeyeNation
beveritt

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Presentation: Poured from a green wine bottle into a champagne flute. The top is sealed with a crown cap and red wax. The label describes this interestingly. It sounds like the raspberries are spontaneously fermented, then mixed with wheat and aged Hallertau hops. Not sure of the age, but I only picked this bottle up a few months ago.

Appearance: Pours with 3/8 inch of light pink head. This settles slowly to a ring around the glass and some islands of foam. The beer itself is a brilliant red.

Smell: Strong, pungant raspberries. An amazingly deep aroma that is wonderful.

Taste: Raspberry flavors explode on your tongue when you take your first sip. Lingering sweetness in the finish. Not as acidic as many true lambics, so maybe a little easier to drink a bottle.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy mouthfeel, really unexpected from such a fruit intensive beer. Just the right level of carbonation to keep the fruitiness from being cloying.

Drinkability: Great, great, great. I wish I didn't wait so long to crack open this bottle and I wish I picked up more than one. For those who complain this doesn't taste like beer, just take this for what it is and realize that not all beer tasted like just malt and hops.

06-27-2007 00:57:10 | More by beveritt
pweis909

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Reddish-purple, cloudy, with a thin head when pured that dissipates fast. The raspberrys in the aroma are awesome, and they carry over to the flavor. It is tart, maybe acetic, but in a most refreshing way. It is smooth as silk in the mouth, with a crisp finish. I think I get a little bit of anise aftertaste. The low alcohol makes this highly drinkable. It's really refreshing!

04-01-2008 23:09:51 | More by pweis909
Mistofminn

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

As soon as I started my car for the trip up to my cabin in northern Wisconsin, I new I was stopping somewhere to get some NG Wisconsin Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart. So glad I did.

The bottle looks like a champagne bottle, but it is capped with no cork and is waxed. I wonder how old this bottle is, not that I care very much. From what I can tell, they are all waxed so it has nothing to do with age.

Pours a raspberry redish purple with a pinkish champagne like head that fizzles into a small film quickly, but leaves little traces around the glass.

The nose on this one is amazing. Look, I consider myself very masculine, and I know more than one person that would consider this a "chick" drink. I don't even care, this is one of the best tasting things (not beers, things) I've ever tasted. I'm a huge fan of raspberrys and this one doesn't disappoint. The nose is pure bliss, raspberry heaven in a glass.

The taste is everything I had hoped and dreamed. Sweet and tart raspberrys with a puckering sourness that I love oh so much. This is real raspberry taste, not that artificial shit that you get in soda. This is the real deal, and I can't get enough of it.

Mouthfeel is very pleasant. The tartness of the raspberrys pairs well with the carbonation and light - medium body. Drinkability is very high, but slow down, this one feels like it would give you gut rot if you slammed it. But please don't slam it, sip and savor. Thats the ticket.

Well New Glarus, you got me. If I never live in Wisconsin, a good portion of my life will be spent driving there. Once again, New Glarus, you seize to amaze me.

06-27-2009 05:30:24 | More by Mistofminn
wcudwight

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Ruby red with a pale pink head. Think spotty lacing. Intense fresh raspberry aroma. This is the real thing here. Not extract. But how do they get the raspberries to smell so fresh? This is the best balanced beer between sweet and tart that I've ever had. The flavor isn't overly complex; it's really quite simple. Raspberries. What makes it amazing though is how it goes from sweet to tart, tart to sweet. It just plays with your tongue. The mouthfeel is wonderful. Silky smooth with lot's of lively carbonation. At only 4% and can finish the bottle easy and long for another.
Thanks Brewcrew!!

03-01-2010 01:38:02 | More by wcudwight
bigfnjoe

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours a dark shade of ruby red with a one finger pinkish colored head. Retention is nice, not a lot of lacing.

S- strong, awesome aroma of raspberries. You can tell theres going to be a little bit of tartness, just from the smell...dear god is it pungent and refreshing.

T- oh wow. Tastes like beautiful raspberry goodness with just a slight bit of tart at the end. Not overly sweet at all. Amazing.

M- feel is near perfect. Good amount of carbonation, body is a little thin though.

D- this is a session beer, and it has amazing flavor. I wish I could get New Glarus more often, because I want to have a stable of this in my fridge at all times

08-07-2010 23:37:04 | More by bigfnjoe
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Bottle thanks to bauermj thanks Matt.
Poured very red much like a wine but with a nice white head that hung around nicely
smell is pure raspberry and wonderful
taste is wonderfull as well, tastes like ripe off the vine raspberries I loved eating from my grandfathers plants man this stuff is good, would never know it was a beer though just 4% wine
mouthfeel is a light medium but very fitting
just an outstanding brew and glad we have a second bottle in the cellar.

06-24-2011 00:13:22 | More by sliverX
jcartamdg

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a pinkish red hue with great carbonation but no head. The aroma is mind blowing. So much raspberries, that's really all I can smell its so powerful and amazing. Taste follows the nose, sweet but not too much, not an everyday beer but a great dessert or special treat beer!

08-08-2011 03:04:28 | More by jcartamdg
gbbass16

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Bottle poured into Boulevard tulip glasses. Pours a very dark burnt orange with an off white head of about half an inch. The smell is sour, sweet, with a nose of dark fruit. The taste is crazy good. The raspberries shine through tremendously. Slightly sour with sweetness that pulls through at the end. The finish is strong but short. The mouthfeel is perfect with the right amount of effervescence and viscousness. Overall this is virtually a perfect beer of this type and I will for sure be searching this out again without question.

03-10-2012 19:08:38 | More by gbbass16
russwbeck

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Been wanting to try this one for a long time. It didn't rest in my fridge long before I found an excuse to pop it open. It just so happened to be nice outside, and this seemed like a good "chilling on the balcony" beer.

A: Thick, deep, clear, ruby red pour with more than a few fingers of off-white head. The retention is really great as a quick shake of the liquids stirs up about a finger or so. The only detracting factor is the lack of lacing, but the color of the beer makes up for it. Bubbles race to the top of my Lost Abbey glass like their lives depend on it.

S: Tart raspberries (see what I did there?) really are the only thing that I can definitely say I smell. Hints of vinegar? Maybe. A little funk? Perhaps. Overall very sweet and fruity.

T: This beer tastes out of this world good. Definitely getting some hints of sour and funk, but really it's all about the tart and sweet raspberries. There isn't anything else, and doesn't need to be. New Glarus nailed this.

MF: The beer has a thick, syrupy body that still boasts a nice amount of carbonation. At 4% ABV, you might be able to drink this for a week straight and still feel fine. Perfect drinkability, great aftertaste, nice feel on the palate.

O: If you were looking for a beer for wine lovers to convert with, give them Raspberry Tart. If you want a great tasting beer with a low ABV, you can't go wrong here. If you want to treat yourself to a beer you won't soon forget, look no further. We have a winner.

03-23-2012 22:57:58 | More by russwbeck
mjohnson17

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

A - Pours a nice clear ruby red. A bit of an pink head, maybe half a finger that very slowly dissapates. Nice carbonation bubbles rising. Looks a lot like a Rose.

S - Tart raspberries, a bit of funky, maybe yeasty funk. Fruit, raspberry jam, sour, sweet

T - A great framboise taste. Lots of tartness, raspberry, a little funky, nice balance with sweet and tart. Very easy to drink, good fruit juice taste.

M - Champagne like mouthfeel with the carbonation and a beautiful balance of tart and sweet mouthfeel.

O - Near perfect for this style. A fantastic fruit beer. Light body, great sweet/tart mixture. I've used this and NG's Belgian Red to turn non-beer drinkers.

02-15-2013 15:55:42 | More by mjohnson17
Lemke10

4.89/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Let’s face it, this is about as good of a fruit beer as you can get with only the current defunct Belgian Red to rival it. This pours a cloudy, reddish color with a fizzy light pink head. The aroma erupts with the scent of sweet raspberries. The taste is amazing with sweet delicious raspberries. Only downside is that you really do need a drinking buddy otherwise 1 bottle is way too much sweetness for 1 person alone.

08-21-2013 02:02:44 | More by Lemke10
PsilohsaiBiN

4.89/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Pours cloudy crimson, with two fingers of khaki head that settles down after a few minutes.

Smell: Freshly juiced raspberries, subtle oak barrel and light must.

Taste: One word: perfection. The first sip of this stuff just blew me away. The ripest, freshest raspberries imaginable dominate this brew. Playing far less important roles are a touch of oak barrel and tannins. The tartness in the finish tames the juicy sweetness that dominates the front end and lends some balance. This is sweet, but awesome.

Mouthfeel: Sticky as hell with modest carbonation. Certainly on the lighter side of the spectrum and that in turn makes this quite quaffable.

Overall: This smells good, tastes way better and is just...this is a beer I want around to be drinking in the summer ALL THE TIME! Such an amazing fruit beer, I could elaborate for much longer but I won't. Instead, I'll just say that this is one of the best fruit beers I've ever had.

12-27-2013 06:08:37 | More by PsilohsaiBiN