Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
4.12/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a rich dark red raspberry color, topped with a thin red-tan film, leaves webs of lacing.
Like the name says, it smells like raspberries with a tart bite, light wheat.
Raspberry taste, nice tartness to offset the sweet malt and fruit, somewhat wine like. Not much hop presence.
Medium to full bodied, I tried it really cold like they suggested, but it's good when warmer it becomes more like a fruit wine than a beer at that point however.

4.12/5  rDev -5.5%

Received in a trade from Faro

A: Pours a rich red hue with a modest head that quickly subsides. Specks of lacing on the flute.

S: Jammy and fruity. Quite nice.

T: Fitting for its name, very tart with raspberry flavors. No surprises here.

M: Medium-bodied with champagne-like carbonation.

D: Everything about this beer is pretty much as expected. Very good all-round, but also one-dimensional. Recommended.

4.12/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Deep dark red with a ton of carbonation present. Looks like a cola with a reddish hue.

Smell: Big raspberry aroma here. Not much else, but a ton of raspberries.

Taste: Huge raspberry taste dominates here. The flavor is fresh and slightly tart, not at all artificial. Slight wheat flavor at the back of the sip add a bit of complexity.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, which takes away from the smoothness. Definitely a sipper. Nice fruit flavor along with a nice bit of warming as you go, which is surprising with the low ABV.

Drinkabiltiy: Very tasty and very accessible. The wife really enjoyed this one as well. Not the kind of thing you would drink several of, but a very tasty treat on a special occasion. Very tasty and sweet.

4.12/5  rDev -5.5%

thanks to bieristgut for bringing this home. from the bottle. poured what else but raspberry red with a pink head. aroma raspberries juice with carbination, caramel, hints of wood. flavor rasperries with a nice tartness, some sourness this was more like a wine cooler than a beer for me. but still liked this one.

4.12/5  rDev -5.5%

a very special beer. used this instead of champaigne last night to bring in the new year. thanks to my girlfriend for hooking this up for me! the much anticipated pour was a red tainted pale brown color, mostly clear, with a ton of rising bubbles and a persistent finger or two of fizz. the nose takes you by surprise. its potently fresh raspberries, juicy and lush and overripe. there is also a medium toast malt underneath that gives this one a little more substance than perhaps the belgian red has, which i certianly appreciate. flavor too is heavenly raspberries, this brings me to late summer in the woods picking huge berries and stuffing my face growing up. some tartish yeast in here too adds a slight puckery element to balance the sweetness of the fruit. finish is perfect mix of sweet and tart, with sweet probably just getting the edge. the feel was interesting. its insanely carbonated, much like the champaigne we were replacing with this brew. body is light but not too too light, and the alcohol is of course super low, but to me this wasnt super drinkable. i think the sweetness combined with all the bubbles made it more of a slow sipper, and when we finished the bottle, i had definitely had enough of this. that said though, this is a rare treat to be savored and shared. new glarus has now given me two of the best fruit beers in the known world, so thanks for that!

4.12/5  rDev -5.5%

thanks to wethorseblanket for this fine beer
poured into tulip

Color: A deep crimson color. Hints of brown and violet around the edges.A white finger head form after the pour, but this beer leaves behind minimal lacing.

Nose: What else raspberries. A mellow oakiness lingers and with are hints of other read fruits and barnyard smells.

Palate: Excellent carbonation and mouth feel. This beer is very drinkable and tasty. The tongue gets hit with wave after wave of ripe raspberry. This beer has a nice tartness to it as well adding some lite complexity to the beer.

Finish: Crisp and light. The gentle sourness/tartness makes this beer very interesting and the raspberry textures are just wonderful.

Rating: 93 out of 100

4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

It was a good day the day I had this beer. Knuckles showed up at my house in Worcester with a car-load of amazing beer from all over the U.S. We drove down to Cape Cod, sat out on the deck, and sampled about 10 different beers. This was one of them.

Pours a deep cloudy purple-red. Nice bright purple highlights when held to the light. Pinkish head of tiny champagne bubbles.

Nose is strong raspberries (what a surprise!). Almost too strong, but entirely fresh and inviting. Bright and lively.

Whoa raspberries. The taste is an explosion of raspberries. Pure clear flavor. The first few sips make me want more, but not long after, this starts to get a little old. Now don't get me wrong. This is just a fantastic beer, but I couldn't see myself drinking a lot of this.

Overall a very well-crafted and delicious beer. I highly recommend trying it. Probably, though, this isn't a beer that you'll be drinking a lot of in one sitting.

4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

New Glarus Raspberry Tart was served from a 750ml wax-sealed bottle...at Pix Patisserie in Portland, Oregon. In a Lindmans flute, the beer was a very deep, almost opaque red, and was topped with a fine pink head that left extremely fine blanket-like lacing. The nose was overflowing with crushed potent sweet ripe raspberries, accented with a hint of tartness. The taste reflected the nose closely. A zippy-prickly ripe juicy raspberry hit powers up into a finely bubbled lightly tart sweetish earthy-berry transition into a drier, tingly finish. Subtle raspberry essence lingers. The body was richly full, and the fine, energetic carbonation was perfect for the presentation of the flavors.
Raspberry Tart was very enjoyable, but I felt the beer would have benefited from more tartness, which would have made both the nose more captivating and the taste more exciting and balanced. But other than this problem, I was highly satisfied with this beer, especially the nice capture of potent fresh raspberry and the perfect carbonation. I was very glad to have found this beer being served in Oregon! Thanks Pix.

4.14/5  rDev -5%

750ml bottle poured into a Flute.

Poured a dark ruby-red with a creamy white head that settles to a thin cap. Luscious aromas of raspberry, oak, brown sugar, and crisp wheat. Taste is similar to the nose, mice raspberry jam flavors with more oak, brown sugar, and vanilla. You can taste the woodiness from the raspberry seeds, such a nice touch! Mouthfeel is slick and smooth, with a medium body and good, crisp carbonation. Overall another amazing NG offering, not quite as good as Belgian Red but still great!

New Glarus Raspberry Tart 4.0% fruit beer

A: There is a deep ruby hue that almost appears like a muted amber, huge deep red foamy carbonation that leaves very little lacing.

S: The bouquet smells overwhelmingly like raspberries, fruit preserves, sweet flowers, and a slight wine/cabernet finish

T: The sweetness from the raspberries is present and accounted for, almost overwhelmingly. The sweetness has a cider character to it and subsides into an intense dryness with an incredible crisp finish like biting into a granny smith apple, only, raspberry.

M: The mouthfeel has zero coating, zero stickiness, and washes away crisp and clean.

D: If not for the sugary-juice overload, this would be a incredibly drinkable beer. It presents great utility to those “black sheep” or the XX chromosomal order who “don’t like beer” or “beer makes them feel bloated.” This is an undercover beer that emotes like a crisp cider and presents the ambrosial delight of a champagne. Strictly speaking, I wouldn’t buy this again or seek it out, but that’s largely due to the style. If I was on a boat with some dour faced sad girls, I would provide it like a benevolent Spuds Mckenzie.

Narrative: ::TOOOT!!!:: the olde timey steam whistle hissed signaling the end of another shift. The stern overseer, Rose Juiceworthington, kept a watchful eye over the employees of the Smuckers’ canning line and made sure that her will was enacted to the T. “Williams! My office, NOW!” the loudspeaker boomed. Williams, soaked in mashed raspberries had a sweet winsome disposition, but a sordid past. “I have seen you down there, slowing on the mashing. . .what’s so funny?” Williams raised raised her glance slowly, then swiftly smashed a can of raspberry preserves over Ms. Juiceworthington’s head, sending her cascading backwards into a molten pit of bubbling preserves. The gasps for breath made sweet gurgles and Williams nodded a sticky sweet approving nod, not to be confronted again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

appearance: sparkling ruby, creamy pink head. quite interesting, is this beer or what?

smell: in your face ripe raspberry, smells familiar like some sort of fruit drink or smoothie or something of that nature. quite frankly, it smells good

taste: tart as hell, explosive raspberry flavor, very familiar taste. quite refreshing and a good way to start the evening

mouthfeel: quite carbonated, bubbly

drinkability: half of a 750ml bottle was plenty for this guy

compared to its competitors, this is a work of art

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

750 ml bottle, generously shared at the Peg's tasting on 3/8/13.

A- Pours a clear reddish color, topped with a thin white head.

S- Just loads of vibrant raspberry aroma, which has both a fresh, raspberry juice character as well as dryer raspberry skins. Smells delicious.

T- Similar to the aroma, lots of fresh, tasty raspberries, there's also some nice tartness to it, as well as some sugary sweetness towards the back which I would have liked a bit less of.

M- Medium-bodied, smooth, dry feel, sort of sticky.

O- A solid fruit beer, the raspberry aroma and flavor and the tartness are really nice, but it loses a few points with me just on sweetness.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to my friend Rob for shipping this to me.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A: Vigorous pour yields almost no head. Color is gorgeous garnet ruby red. Lacing is some of the best I have seen on any beer bar none.

S: Smells of tart raspberries, and oddly enough tobacco as this one warms. Pipe tobacco that is. It makes me want to drink it.

T: Taste is obviously of raspberries, and very much like the fruit but more tart and more sweet. The sourness is really good and I am enjoying it throughout until I get to the end of a roughly 10oz pour. At that point the sourness is slightly tightening my throat, but not very bad. The fact that it's sweet and sour and so well balanced in that manner makes me keep wanting more of this one. Really enjoyable and the second best fruit beer I've had.

D: A little sweet to drink more than probably 15-20oz of this one in a night. I'd love to have this one with any dessert.

Overall the second best fruit beer I've had to the Belgian Red which to me is perfect. We were discussing this one tonight and it's so much better than almost every other fruit beer in the world. Stunningly good.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Poured into a flute the brew's colors transition from those of apple juice to peach to cider and then at the top a translucent reddish brown. Very nice looking body with a head that started out around a half inch tall and is left to leave only the ring at the glass line with wisps scattered and spiraling.

S - It smells of a tart apple and grape combination. Very nice and very inviting.

T - Moderately tart without a real strong presence of the raspberry, by which I'm impressed. This is a very well done flavor grouping and nothing really overwhelms. The only thing keeping this from passing the "good" mark is the moderate tart flavor, I would appreciate a bit more.

M - Very mildly abrasive and quite dry in the finish.

~ This is a great dessert brew with its tart and light character. I would and have recommend this beer to my friends.

750ml bottle poured into a pint glass

A: A deep, dark red and pink color. Basically, what I think raspberries in a liquid form would be. Forms a lovely pink and white head that dissipates after a minute or two, but mingles on the top.

S: Very strong smell. I could smell this beer from feet away. Nothing but sweet, sweet raspberries. A couple more whiffs in and some tart raspberries start to emerge. Nice balance between sweet and tart in the smell.

T: Nothing unusual here; Raspberries! The sweet berries come in at first and makes me think this is one different kind of beer. On the swallow, the tart comes out and damn is it sour. Maybe its just me, but this beer made me pucker a few times. A few sips into this and I feared I was not going to enjoy... Nevertheless, I carried on and the more I drank, the more I enjoyed. I still believe it was a little over balance on the tart side (hence the name maybe?) but it was satisfying.

M: Good.Medium body with medium carbonation that fits this beer well.

D: You can drink this stuff in a hurry and enjoy it all the way. This being my first fruit beer, I didn't quite know what to think, but I do believe this is exactly what the brewery intended. If you like raspberries and beer, you should have no problem loving this.

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter

A-Dark maroon body, ½ finger head that disappears quickly, minimal lacing, nice full body.

S- Sweet, fruity aroma, very rich, raspberry tart smell is very evident.

T- Wow just delicious, very rich sweet raspberry taste, hints of tart are present as well, great carbonation, very nice bite to it.

M- Very rich mouth feel, well carbonated, slightly syrupy.

D- Very delicious brew, it's perfect for a desert beer, super rich and sweet, raspberry tartness takes over this beer, but in a very good way. This is one that should be split with another person because of its richness. Very refreshing.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

I finally try the famed Raspberry Tart!

Pours red, as you expect. It does, however, look a bit more beer-like than a Lindemans Framboise, for example. Some brown tinge and not quite such a pink head.

Aroma? Raspberry preserves....what else? I don't think I was looking for much else.

Taste is of sweet raspberry. Some tart, but I don't think this has quite the level of tart I was looking for. Still very tasty, fresh raspberries will always be something I'll never turn down. More sweet than tart, though not quite Lindemans Framboise-sweet.

Good feel, manages to be crisp and refreshing while being a sweet beer.

I like it - it's pretty irrestible. Yet, I was expecting to give a bunch of 4.5s and 5s. It's ultimately a little too sweet for me to elevate it to those heights. Still very good, though. I'll drink it anytime.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Big thanks to KWMiles for this bottle...

A: Pours a deep murky brown/red. There is about a half finger of off-white colored head that fades quickly, leaving only a thin ring along the edges of the glass. Spotty lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is sweet. It's raspberries and that familiar New Glarus funk. It smells good, but it's earthy and a bit vegetal.

T: The taste follows the nose. It's sweet to start with raspberries, vegetation, and funk. The raspberry notes are the dominate flavor, as is to be expected, but it's not a bright and lively raspberry signature. It's a bit subdued.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's sweet and coating. Starts out well carbonated, turns a bit funky, and finishes syrupy.

O: This is a very good beer. It's raspberry, but it's not intense bright raspberry. I have had this beer a few times in the past, and I think I'm done with it. I like it, but I'd rather drink Serendipity than Raspberry Tart.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Blood red, cloudy, dark, with a hint of violet. No head, barely any carbonation. Smell is a strong, sweet raspberry flavor, fresh and inviting. Tastes like semi-sweet raspberries at first, the tartness is not what I expected, but the finish does carry a nice tang. Slightly acidic, it becomes more drinkable as you go along. Mouthfeel is slightly thick, carbnonation is low. It is very comparable to a lightly carbonated fruit juice on the palate. Drinkablity is nice. The alcohol is low, and it keeps improving over time giving it staying power...

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours out an effervescent pink ruby colour, with a pretty nice and surprisingly long lasting pink head.

Aroma is knock your socks off raspberries. It’s like sticking your face in the berry bucket when you are picking. Even more so, I would say. I can’t stop smelling this, even though I really want to take a sip.

Taste follows the aroma perfectly. While the aroma is sweet smelling, the upfront taste is neither sweet nor tart, just flavourful raspberrries. Once mid-swig though, it start to kindly drop down to a tart finish. Not pucker your lips tart, just enough to remind you this isn’t pressed raspberries you are drinking. There is nothing else in the taste, it’s just raspberries, albeit, delicious raspberries. There is no real indication this is even beer, just carbonated tart raspberry juice.

Mouthfeel is nice, carbonated, and this stuff is surprisingly drinkable. I split this with one other person, but, I think I could have drank the entire 750 by myself if need be. Very good, highly recommended.

4.16/5  rDev -4.6%

4.16/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company