Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,211 | Reviews: 875

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

750 ml bottle, generously shared at the Peg's tasting on 3/8/13.

A- Pours a clear reddish color, topped with a thin white head.

S- Just loads of vibrant raspberry aroma, which has both a fresh, raspberry juice character as well as dryer raspberry skins. Smells delicious.

T- Similar to the aroma, lots of fresh, tasty raspberries, there's also some nice tartness to it, as well as some sugary sweetness towards the back which I would have liked a bit less of.

M- Medium-bodied, smooth, dry feel, sort of sticky.

O- A solid fruit beer, the raspberry aroma and flavor and the tartness are really nice, but it loses a few points with me just on sweetness.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to my friend Rob for shipping this to me.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A: Vigorous pour yields almost no head. Color is gorgeous garnet ruby red. Lacing is some of the best I have seen on any beer bar none.

S: Smells of tart raspberries, and oddly enough tobacco as this one warms. Pipe tobacco that is. It makes me want to drink it.

T: Taste is obviously of raspberries, and very much like the fruit but more tart and more sweet. The sourness is really good and I am enjoying it throughout until I get to the end of a roughly 10oz pour. At that point the sourness is slightly tightening my throat, but not very bad. The fact that it's sweet and sour and so well balanced in that manner makes me keep wanting more of this one. Really enjoyable and the second best fruit beer I've had.

D: A little sweet to drink more than probably 15-20oz of this one in a night. I'd love to have this one with any dessert.

Overall the second best fruit beer I've had to the Belgian Red which to me is perfect. We were discussing this one tonight and it's so much better than almost every other fruit beer in the world. Stunningly good.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Poured into a flute the brew's colors transition from those of apple juice to peach to cider and then at the top a translucent reddish brown. Very nice looking body with a head that started out around a half inch tall and is left to leave only the ring at the glass line with wisps scattered and spiraling.

S - It smells of a tart apple and grape combination. Very nice and very inviting.

T - Moderately tart without a real strong presence of the raspberry, by which I'm impressed. This is a very well done flavor grouping and nothing really overwhelms. The only thing keeping this from passing the "good" mark is the moderate tart flavor, I would appreciate a bit more.

M - Very mildly abrasive and quite dry in the finish.

~ This is a great dessert brew with its tart and light character. I would and have recommend this beer to my friends.

750ml bottle poured into a pint glass

A: A deep, dark red and pink color. Basically, what I think raspberries in a liquid form would be. Forms a lovely pink and white head that dissipates after a minute or two, but mingles on the top.

S: Very strong smell. I could smell this beer from feet away. Nothing but sweet, sweet raspberries. A couple more whiffs in and some tart raspberries start to emerge. Nice balance between sweet and tart in the smell.

T: Nothing unusual here; Raspberries! The sweet berries come in at first and makes me think this is one different kind of beer. On the swallow, the tart comes out and damn is it sour. Maybe its just me, but this beer made me pucker a few times. A few sips into this and I feared I was not going to enjoy... Nevertheless, I carried on and the more I drank, the more I enjoyed. I still believe it was a little over balance on the tart side (hence the name maybe?) but it was satisfying.

M: Good.Medium body with medium carbonation that fits this beer well.

D: You can drink this stuff in a hurry and enjoy it all the way. This being my first fruit beer, I didn't quite know what to think, but I do believe this is exactly what the brewery intended. If you like raspberries and beer, you should have no problem loving this.

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter

A-Dark maroon body, ½ finger head that disappears quickly, minimal lacing, nice full body.

S- Sweet, fruity aroma, very rich, raspberry tart smell is very evident.

T- Wow just delicious, very rich sweet raspberry taste, hints of tart are present as well, great carbonation, very nice bite to it.

M- Very rich mouth feel, well carbonated, slightly syrupy.

D- Very delicious brew, it's perfect for a desert beer, super rich and sweet, raspberry tartness takes over this beer, but in a very good way. This is one that should be split with another person because of its richness. Very refreshing.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

I finally try the famed Raspberry Tart!

Pours red, as you expect. It does, however, look a bit more beer-like than a Lindemans Framboise, for example. Some brown tinge and not quite such a pink head.

Aroma? Raspberry preserves....what else? I don't think I was looking for much else.

Taste is of sweet raspberry. Some tart, but I don't think this has quite the level of tart I was looking for. Still very tasty, fresh raspberries will always be something I'll never turn down. More sweet than tart, though not quite Lindemans Framboise-sweet.

Good feel, manages to be crisp and refreshing while being a sweet beer.

I like it - it's pretty irrestible. Yet, I was expecting to give a bunch of 4.5s and 5s. It's ultimately a little too sweet for me to elevate it to those heights. Still very good, though. I'll drink it anytime.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Big thanks to KWMiles for this bottle...

A: Pours a deep murky brown/red. There is about a half finger of off-white colored head that fades quickly, leaving only a thin ring along the edges of the glass. Spotty lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is sweet. It's raspberries and that familiar New Glarus funk. It smells good, but it's earthy and a bit vegetal.

T: The taste follows the nose. It's sweet to start with raspberries, vegetation, and funk. The raspberry notes are the dominate flavor, as is to be expected, but it's not a bright and lively raspberry signature. It's a bit subdued.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's sweet and coating. Starts out well carbonated, turns a bit funky, and finishes syrupy.

O: This is a very good beer. It's raspberry, but it's not intense bright raspberry. I have had this beer a few times in the past, and I think I'm done with it. I like it, but I'd rather drink Serendipity than Raspberry Tart.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Blood red, cloudy, dark, with a hint of violet. No head, barely any carbonation. Smell is a strong, sweet raspberry flavor, fresh and inviting. Tastes like semi-sweet raspberries at first, the tartness is not what I expected, but the finish does carry a nice tang. Slightly acidic, it becomes more drinkable as you go along. Mouthfeel is slightly thick, carbnonation is low. It is very comparable to a lightly carbonated fruit juice on the palate. Drinkablity is nice. The alcohol is low, and it keeps improving over time giving it staying power...

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours out an effervescent pink ruby colour, with a pretty nice and surprisingly long lasting pink head.

Aroma is knock your socks off raspberries. It’s like sticking your face in the berry bucket when you are picking. Even more so, I would say. I can’t stop smelling this, even though I really want to take a sip.

Taste follows the aroma perfectly. While the aroma is sweet smelling, the upfront taste is neither sweet nor tart, just flavourful raspberrries. Once mid-swig though, it start to kindly drop down to a tart finish. Not pucker your lips tart, just enough to remind you this isn’t pressed raspberries you are drinking. There is nothing else in the taste, it’s just raspberries, albeit, delicious raspberries. There is no real indication this is even beer, just carbonated tart raspberry juice.

Mouthfeel is nice, carbonated, and this stuff is surprisingly drinkable. I split this with one other person, but, I think I could have drank the entire 750 by myself if need be. Very good, highly recommended.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.16/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.16/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Lovely ruby-purple color. The nose is red fruit and sugar. Starts off a bit tart like an underripe raspberry and then rounds out to a sticky, heavy raspberry sweetness. Light enough to drink all night long. This is probably my favorite from New Glarus to date. Perfect summer drinking.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from the bottle into a New Glarus flute. Thanks, Brady.

The pour isn't as red as one might expect - it's more the color of iced tea. Slightly off-white head billows up, but doesn't hang around for very long. I would like this to be more striking in color and to have better head retention.

Smell: Raspberries. Sweet, sour, ripe and unripe raspberries.

Taste: Raspberries. It's sweet on the front end, with just a hint of a tartness through the midpalate. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is good, adequate amount of carbonation, quite slick, long fruity finish. Light-medium body.

Drinkability is quite good. At just 4% abv, and without being super sweet, this one goes down pretty easy and quickly.

Good beer, perhaps only bested (in terms of American fruit beers) by Belgian red. Recommended.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

A murky reddish brown beer with a small, quickly dissipating head and minimal lacing. Aroma bursts with fresh tart raspberries and also features some sweet malt to a lesser extent.

This is a simple and straightforward raspberry brew; lots of fresh fruit with the accompanying sweet and tart flavors; not quite sour and certainly not puckering; just fruity, with decent malt presence underneath. No bitterness at all. Feels barely like a beer but not like a fruit soda, fortunately. Less sugary and not at all artificial like a Lindeman’s Framboise. Hints of oak add to the complexity somewhat.

Moderately thin bodied with medium carbonation. The lack of spritziness helps to keep this away from soda territory. Very drinkable; would go equally well with a piece of chocolate truffle cake or a BBQ dinner as a clean refresher.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from an unnecessarily waxed 750ml bottle into a wine glass. Thank you to beerwolf77 for the hookup. A good beer from a good dude.

A: Pours a crystal clear, deep reddish purple hue with lots of tiny little champagne-like bubbles created, float to the top then almost immediately disappear. No lacing.

S: Wonderful pungent aroma full of sweet-tart raspberries with a small mix subtle malt for good measure. When I stuck my nose in the glass, the little bubbles splashing around danced up and tickled the nostrils. Doesn't have the punch you in the face intensity that the Belgian Red has but I don't view that as a negative.

T: Man, I love raspberries. They are my favorite berry. The only thing missing from this brew is the seeds stuck in my teeth. It's got wonderful flavor and it's well balanced.

M: Light bodied, high carbonation that settles after a bit. The finish is dry and crisp with slight raspberry aftertaste.

O: A supremely easy drinker, not overly sweet and another homerun fruit beer from New Glarus.

Bottle date: unk

A: pours a cheery brown with 2 fingers of the lightest pink head. This falls quickly to a sheet of the same. No lace. near excellent clarity.

S: Raspberries, slightly tart. Not much else. As advertised.

T: Sweet with hints of tart raspberries. A little too sweet for my preferences....EDIT: I threw a cork in this and returned to it several days later to find the beer much more enjoyable. A bit of oxidation and flattening out brought the flavors into a more balanced profile.

M: Medium body (light syrup) with spritely carbonation. Dry finish makes my mouth water.

O: Very fruity and very tasty. I much prefer this to the WI Belgian Red, which has too much cherry on it.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

This one is very cloudy with a burnt red color.
The nose has a dark musty yeasty aroma.
The taste of tart rasberry fades into a yeasty,slightly salty dry finish. The mouthfeel is milky borderline silky.This one cotes the tongue for a least five min. This would go great with some sweet cheese cake.Very,very tart!!
I really like the melted wax on the top of the btl. Warning this is not Lindemans in any way!

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to fear025 for this one. I poured from a 25 ounce bottle into 2 snifters. It pours a deep purple with red highlights. The 2 finger head is fizzy and white and leaves a bit of lacing. The nose is all rasberries. The flavor is a rasberry puree, sweet and tart. It finishes with lingering tart fruit. This one is light in body and highly carbonated and effervescent. It would make a wonderful dessert beer. It is pretty sweet, I don't think I could do a bomber solo.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to dhchatfield for this one! Poured from 750mL bottle into Lindemans tulip glass. Beer was a cloudy, ruby red color with a small, diminishing head.

Aroma was all raspberry.

Taste was sweet and tart raspberry. Very crisp beer and very tasty.

Had a long finish. Good dessert beer. Well worth tracking down a bottle.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

A- Pours a lavender color with a light reddish head which stays quite a while leaving a little bit of lacing.

S- Smell is ridiculously fragrant, raspberry, sweetness and sourness all combined into one.

T- Taste is strong sweet raspberry with a sour afterthought. Could be considered cloying by some but it is perfect as a New Years Eve Night cap.

M- Fairly thick with quite a bit of carbonation.

D- This is definitely less than drinkable because of the extreme sweetness but under the right circumstances I would easily drink a couple champagne flutes of this awesome brew.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company