1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,243 | Reviews: 827 | Show All Ratings:
hwwty4

Missouri

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Big thanks to Lordsloth for giving me this one.

Poured a 25oz bottle into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a magnificent deep maroon but barely produces any head whatsoever and what head it does produce quickly disappeared into a completely still beer. The aroma is amazing. It encapsulates the essence of a raspberry. Up front the aroma is a like raspberry jam, sweet and sugary but at the end the nose, the aroma becomes quite tart and it makes your nose hair tingle. The taste follows suit to a tee. Sweet raspberry hits your lips and tongue but the more you hold it in your mouth the more the sour/tartness comes through. It coalesces every aspect of biting into a fresh raspberry. The mouthfeel is light and crisp but leaves a sour twinge in your jaw and a dryness on your tongue. I wish I had a case of this on hand at all times. This beer is simply amazing.

12-11-2008 04:13:00 | More by hwwty4
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Sampled as often as possible at the 2009 GABF.

This is a beer that will leave you speechless, stunned, and maybe a little embarrassed. I lead a group of 7 on Thursday and at the end of the night this was the beer that the group enjoyed the most. As much as we loved the IPAs, the barrel-aged stout, the wild ales, this raspberry fruit beer had them all beat. For me, it was this and Cuvee de Tomme alone at the top.

You wouldn't think tart raspberries could be that amazing, but you would be wrong. An outstanding beer.

The fact that this doesn't take Gold home from the GABF every year is an indictment of their judging system. I mean...WTF?

10-19-2009 16:11:09 | More by BradLikesBrew
HitokiriNate85

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Deep, rich red that fades to a brighter hue at the corners of the glass. Thin white cap fades to just a rim in the glass.

S - The most fruit-forward smelling beer I've ever had(along with it's twin). Rich, sweet raspberry glory. Obviously not like the soured fruit you get in a lambic. It's all backed by an amazing wheat/malted barley combo that creates a pie crust smell. If any review needed a scratch and sniff, this is it. Incredible.

T - Follows the nose to a tee, but with much greater complexity. Tons of juicy raspberry upfront, then the sweet malts come into play, followed by tart and acidic flavors on the back of the tongue and throat. I think it's a combination from the fermented fruit itself and from the oak. From the sheer richness, it's amazing that this isn't the least bit cloying.

MF - Lighter-bodied, but it's surprisingly full. Carbonation comes in more towards the end, but it still coats the mouth.

D - Very easy to drink, but it's also incredibly rich for a 4% beer. I realize a lot of people would prefer a beer like this on a special occasion, but I would drink this on a very regular basis if I could. The balance between sweet and tart is spot on. My favorite fruit beer.

11-17-2010 01:37:30 | More by HitokiriNate85
JamnesCameron

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

One of several bottles I received for my Birthday BIF month. This is thanks to zimmerbloke. Thanks, Matt!

Poured into a MJ tasting glass. Pours a clear, deep reddish hue, with a big, two fingered tannish head. Head drops rather quickly. Slight lacing.

Aromas of huge raspberry jam. And pretty much nothing else.

Flavors of huge raspberry jam, tart acidity. If there is a beer in there, you won't notice it. Finish is medium, with a huge raspberry aftertaste, and hints of raspberry seeds. Some lactic sourness.

Mouthfeel is medium, with some sticky fruit jam qualities, good level of carbonation.

Overall, dessert in a glass. Period.

05-29-2011 00:44:22 | More by JamnesCameron
Benish

Wisconsin

Poured into wine glass.

Appearance: white foam with a tint of red built up while pouring. Very gorgeous. The beer had a naturally red color. Not that artificial looking color you see in red candy. Looked kind of like fruit leather (they always seem to be dark red) as opposed to fruit roll-ups. In addition it's quite opaque, when shining light at it, you still can't see through. This further adds to that natural look.

Smell: instantly smell fruit leather (not fruit roll-ups!). Very jammy with raspberries and maybe a blend of other fruits. Smells sweet and delightful!

Taste: sweet and tart; tasting all raspberries! The sweetness comes in very pleasantly, nothing is cloying. Very jammy, luscious, and juicy! Hard to believe with all that flavor that the beer only clocks at 4% ABV.

Mouthfeel: it has that medium to thick body, you could almost chew it. Almost tingly around the mouth, carbonation is perfect.

Overall: the best fruit beer I have had. This beer is outstanding, if not beyond outstanding! Try this when you have the chance!

12-26-2013 16:37:04 | More by Benish
krustster

4.96/5  rDev +13.8%

Incredible deep, ruby red color, almost brown, so maybe that means it's closer to garnet? Two finger pinkish head that stayed for a long long time, lots of lacing, I keep holding it up to the light and looking in amazement at that incredible red color. Lots of fine, champagne-like bubbles rising to the top.

The smell is like pure fresh raspberries and hearty pie crust. The fruit smell is so incredible. It really smells like a delicious pastry with raspberry jam on it. And the aroma is so strong, you can smell it standing feet away from the open bottle.

Taste,,, yuueeaahhh god man. Just look at me man. Sweet, yet tart (but not quite sour) fresh raspberries, just enough bready yeast to make it taste like a cobbler or pie. It seriously tastes like some pastry or crust/crumbs along side the fresh, natural fruit. There has to be something like 5,000 lbs of raspberry in each bottle, it's that strong. The first time I tried this, I thought "okay it's going to be fruity but probably sour" and "okay it'll be REALLY fruity" but the sheer, well, fruitiness of it pretty much shot my face off. I would never have believed it possible to make a beer that tastes this much like a fruit. And in such a balanced, yet powerful way! The crust/cobbler sweetness balances the perfect level of tartness in a way that, again, doesn't even seem like it should be possible.

Mouth feel, nearly perfect. Creamy texture, light to medium body, with fine champagne bubbles, somewhat thin and fruity but still thick enough to coat your mouth with the unbelievable taste. It's dry, but not too dry.

Overall: remarkable,,,

01-15-2014 05:19:27 | More by krustster
TheBungyo

Washington

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Much thanks to Faro for trading this to me. I've wanted to try this since I first heard about it.

As I poured I coudn't help but think of red wine or crimson paint diluted with water. The tiny head atop the body looks a lot like red slush. It clings to the edge of the glass all the way down.

As for the nose .... ever been around someone sucking on a raspberry lollypop? That's kind of what this is like only far more robust. Juicy.

Damn does this taste great. A little tartness and a little sweetness. Neither fighting for dominance ... both uniting to please the taster. This beer to me seems to be something that anyone could enjoy. As long as you like raspberries that is.

09-30-2006 22:16:09 | More by TheBungyo
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Now lets talk a little bit about this one for a minute. I have been wanting to try this forever, and I just recently received not one, but two bottles of this brew. I really did not know what to expect going into it, but have heard it is simply outstanding. So needless to say the red wax coated 750 beckoned me from the start and I popped one open last night. Poured a very nice raspberry colored red with a small pink colored head and very nice carbonation visible throughout the session. The smell was rich with raspberry essence. Extremely strong so that nothing else could possibly come through. Now the flavor was to die for. I have never been the biggest fan of fruit beers in general, but this has just come to a whole new level. So sweet yet tart and sour at the same time, the flavor was so strong, yet not overpowering and not too sweet as to make you sick, it was in a word, perfect. It had the most perfect taste for this style I could have ever imagined. A great light body and great carbonation made it feel like water and there was just no hint of any kind of alcohol in this. This was by far one of the best brews I have ever had. I was raving mad about this all night long and easily killed the bottle myself. I just did not think anything could taste this good, this was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on as much as I could, I have to give it up here. This is one of the best drinks I have ever had, hands down, just wonderful. I would have to recommend this to everyone, go and get some!

10-27-2007 13:32:47 | More by mikesgroove
Atricapilla

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Pours from a champagne bottle into a wide mouth glass. A pinkish red color with a medium pinkish white head. A tiny bit frothy in the head; good carbonation in this beer! The smell is clearly raspberry; the flavour as well. This taste slightly sweet and goes down well.

01-04-2008 05:15:41 | More by Atricapilla
SaCkErZ9

4.97/5  rDev +14%

For my 500th review (Woo Hoo!), I figured I would do something special. Thanks go out to nflmvp for this one.

Comes in a 1pint 9oz bottle with the cap dipped in red wax and oozing down the side of the bottle. The bottle literature proclaims this a "rare delight". We shall see.

Pours into a pint glass a murky cranberry color with a nice, fizzy, soda like head that is more of a strawberry color.

The bouquet on this is unbelievable. Tons and tons of raspberries. Possibly even some strawberry and sour cherry tossed into the mix. Basically, any red fruit, with the full emphasis on raspberry. I have never smelled something so pungent and tart and delicious.

The flavor is unbelievable as well. Perfrect amount of tartness from the raspberries with just the right amount of sweetness to balance things out.

I honestly could drink this all day every day and I would find it impossible for anyone not to like this. ABV is nonexistent. This is truly a beer to behold. Thanks again nflmvp and glad this was number 500!

05-14-2008 20:54:36 | More by SaCkErZ9
jpmclaug

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Thanks portia99 for hooking me up with this in my first trade!

A - Dark cherry color with a nice pink head on top. Yum.

S - Wow. Sweet raspberry smell. This smells delicious.

T - Wow again. I tend to be underwhelmed when I try beers that have been hyped up and are only available in a small area but this beer is phenomenal. Nice sweet raspberry taste up front with a little tartness at the end. The finish on this beer is what really makes it. Sweetness at the front but it is around only for a second before a nice tartness shows up. Reminds me of fresh raspberries. Once again Wow.

M - Medium body with a slightly syrupy quality and a nice amount of carbonation.

D - I could drink this all day. I'm blown away by this beer. The mix of sweetness and a hint of tart is amazing. I think I'm in love!

08-02-2010 01:09:07 | More by jpmclaug
Eggolas

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Poured this into champagne flutes last night for an extended evening of food and company. We began with cheese, moved onto brisket and finished with a sponge cake.

The New Glarus came with every step of the way and made everything better.

Appearance: Beautiful reddish color, somewhat cloudy. Small head in the flute. Great bubbly action.

Smell: Oooh. Raspberries! From the very first, you can't miss them. There isn't much of a smell of alcohol though, so one will not confuse the appearnace and smell with, say, a raspberry champagne cocktail.

Taste: Up front, more raspberry. But there is a balance and the finish is unmistakenly beer.

Mouthfeel: Clean, crisp and very easy to drink. Way too easy.

Overall: Outstanding with every food we had last night.

04-18-2011 16:05:32 | More by Eggolas
jeffboo

#100 Honestly, I didn't know how this review would turn out. I've enjoyed this beer many times in the past and thought I knew it's story, but, as Chris Berman would say...."That's why they play the game." So let's cut the schuck and jive and get on with the review...

Deep purple color with an equally purple foam rising up in the glass. Very tart,ripe raspberries emerge from the foam and fill the room, you can smell the seeds,pulp, everything raspberry. The brew has a very drinkable full body that balances sweetness and tartness with a solid ale base. It starts fresh, sweet and tart raspberries with a great toasty/caramelly finish. You actually feel like you need to remove the seeds from your teeth, it's that fruity, but it also has a better ale base than it's popular sister brew "Belgian Red". Just as Wisconsin cherry growers have a friend in the Cary's, Oregon raspberry growers are getting much out of this relationship. I didn't know if I would ever give out a perfect "5" but would know the beer if I ever drank it....I just drank it!

If curious check out my Young's Double chocolate for a blended review.

06-24-2003 08:42:57 | More by jeffboo
TastyTaste

Murky raspberry red/brown colored body. Head is very creamy and has good retention until eventually settling to a smal pink layer on top of the beer. Smell is pure raspberry, with a little bready wheat to smooth it out. Very sweet smelling and tasting. Very tart tasting, a swirl of sweet, ripe raspberries, followed by a little hoppiness to finish the experience. Magnificent dessert beer, I can not think of a better Fruit/Vegetable beer. Perfection in a bottle.

08-11-2005 02:02:49 | More by TastyTaste
BadBadger

A truely amazing accomplishment. This fanatastic beverage pours a wonderful dark raspberry color. The head is off-white with raspberry tints. The smell leaves absolutely no doubt to the contents of this extremely delightful brew. The taste is complex, yet at the same time simple-it is RASPBERRY! This is a beer to be searched out and savored. There is no room for improvement (except perhaps larger bottles). This is the standard to which all others will strive. A wonderful drink for any occasion (but be sure to save a bottle or two for the holidays). Enjoy!

03-12-2006 14:23:55 | More by BadBadger
Erdinger2003

Iowa

Pours a nice big head (fills the flute and almost goes flows over) that doesn't go away and leaves a rock solid lacing. The color is a beautiful clear dark red/purplish color. The smell is just like a fresh raspberry bush-only better! Really good smell of sweet/tart raspberries that balance perfectly! The taste is a burst of great flavor and it doesn't have the base feel that is malty, I can sense it's still there, but I have to look. The mouthfeel is smooth, smooth and there's nothing offensive about it. Overall I wish every single bottle of Raspberry Tart was this good, I just had to re-review it it was sooo good.

04-08-2007 04:21:52 | More by Erdinger2003
Damian

Drank from a 1 Pint 9 Fl. Oz. bottle
2007 vintage
Acquired in a trade with Beertracker
Served in a champagne flute

Poured a deep burgundy color with a one-finger, light mauve head that faded to a thick ring of lace. Spider webbing blankets of lacing coated the glass. Spectacular.

The aroma was simple yet beautiful (I do not often use the word "beautiful" when describing beer, but in this case it is most appropriate). The bottle eloquently states, "the voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch the glass." I can attest to this claim. Raspberries, raspberries and more raspberries. Fresh, pureed raspberries, with a hint of sweetness. Pure and simple. A freshly baked raspberry pie or a quality raspberry jam may be a good descriptor as well.

The taste was as good, if not better than the aroma. Raspberries really do take center stage in this beer and boy, do they ever do it well. Once again, it is pure raspberry from start to finish. Semi-sweet up front and through the center. Slightly sour on the back end with a sweet-tart finish, and a long-lasting, candy-like (yet not at all cloying) aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was simply astounding. The initial fine, prickly carbonation soon settled on my palate, becoming ultra creamy and smooth. Ridiculously frothy and supple, like a cloud on my tongue.

Drinkability was off the charts. If there ever was a more refreshing beer, I have yet to taste it. While some may knock this beer on its sweetness (even though it is spontaneously fermented, it definitely is not a lambic) as well as its perceived "chick appeal," it would be difficult for me to believe that the naysayers do not secretly love this stuff.

Even though this is listed as a "fruit/vegetable beer," it really defines categorization. The raspberries are so prevalent in this beer that it indeed does not taste like beer it all.

Is this my favorite beer in the world? No. Can I find any fault with it? No. In my eyes, a fruit beer simply cannot get any better than this.

06-27-2008 16:57:18 | More by Damian
drowland

Georgia

Delicious! Everything you could want in a sour fruit lambic style beer. This is probably the best lambic I've ever had, and it's not even from Belgium! Another great feature is that it's very likable by non-beer-drinkers. Will probably serve some of this at my wedding.

11-29-2009 22:34:45 | More by drowland
obireidkenobi

Georgia

This is a really enjoyable fruit beer. The flavor is fresh raspberry, not syrup or sugar. Fresh. There is some tart flavor, which balances very well with sweet.

This beer is crisp, and clean. So easy drinking the bottle was gone leaving me smelling the glass after. Perfect for dessert, or just a beer to finish this day with.

09-19-2010 20:48:30 | More by obireidkenobi
unclejimbay

Thanks to Tim and Mary Anderson for their help in getting this.

This beer pours a dark red cranberry color with amazing clarity and a pink foamy head.
Smells a bold waft of natural raspberry just as the label suggests.
Tasets as it smells with mild raspberry tartness, very impressive "natrual" raspberry fruit character. More tart than sweet, but far from sour. This beer was an awesome surprise, thanks to Don Lowman "digita7693" for sharing.

On a side note, my wife and I make pretty killer homebrew *similiar* to this which previous to this we thought was amazing. My wife tasted one sip of Raspberry Tart and said... this blows the homebrew version away (and the homebrew is pretty killer). I only wish I could get more Raspberry Tart, and on a regular basis.

This brew is as drinkable as it can get for this style. Reminds me of a very clear, semi tart, not overly pseudo lambic spin off. cherish this one if you get to sample it.

12-10-2010 17:30:15 | More by unclejimbay
Goblinmunkey7

Appearance: Ruddy brick red. Very slightly hazed, but relatively clear after the chill drops. Head is bubbly and a thin ring remains. Head is a bright pink. Carbonation runs to the high side. Damn if it doesn't look pretty.

Smell: Tons of raspberry flesh and juice. Faintly tart. Almost borders on cranberry with the tartness. Sweet with a nice edge of plump juicy raspberry. So much fruit it's insane.

Taste: Straight up raspberries. Juice and flesh and then some, plus some. Slightly tart, but so distinctly raspberry that it's hard to find anything else. So borderline not beer there's not much else to say. Raspberry jam. Citric bite is lovely.

Mouthfeel: Moderately full. The high carbonation spreads the love around and makes it drink like a super juicy raspberry champagne at times. Dry on the finish.

Overall: This is the standard by which all other fruit beers are measured. There's so much raspberry it's impossible to imagine how they get it all in there. The slight tartness pushes it over the edge and gives it enough depth that you know it's not just fruit juice. Truly legendary.

01-19-2012 00:38:25 | More by Goblinmunkey7
YeastWrangler88

Poured from a 28oz bottle into a sierra Nevada Tulip glass:

Appearance: Reddish brown, but a deep red, like a dark cherry.

Aroma: Tart red fruit aroma, cherries, apple skin and dark berries. fresh ripe raspberries deffinetly come to mind, but thats obvious I suppose. it's really amazing tho, it smells like I'm standing in a raspberry packaging plant.

Flavor: Smooth tartness up front, with some fruity sweetness and a little tiny bit of some some bread flavors (like flour). Again, it tastes like fresh raspberries and i just cant wrap my head around how they can possibly do this... amazing.

Mouthfeel: carbonation is high, but the maltiness hides some of if, so it tastes medium to almost full bodied, but not cloying.

Overall: This is about the 5th time that i've had the pleasure to enjoy a glass of Raspberry Tart. And quite frankly, the experience hasn't changed, it's an truly amazing beer, its perfectly balanced and one of the first world class beers i've ever had. It's fresh raspberry aroma and taste are insanely balanced and it's awesome to think that a beer can contain flavors like this. One of my favorite beers of all time. New Glarus knows how to do their fruit beers and they know how to do them well..

11-23-2012 02:22:36 | More by YeastWrangler88
BeerXKing

Aroma of fresh Raspberry and and ale, consisting mainly of sweet fruit and malt characters, surprisingly, not to sweet as the nose makes you think it will be.the fruit really shine in the aroma and in the mouthful.
the taste was not overly dry. Light bodied, not over carbonated, finishes was a little sweeter then tartness.

Overall a must try beer

01-25-2014 00:18:15 | More by BeerXKing
GameFreac

Georgia

Originally had this at a tasting and it was my favorite beer of the day then had it on tap.

Appearance: Pours a red/pink color with a film of a white head. Just looks like a fruit beer.

Smell: Smells of straight up sweet raspberries and minimal tartness. So inviting.

Taste - Amazing raspberry flavor. A little tart. Not too sweet. Not too syrupy. Just perfect.

Mouthfeel: Nice mouthfeel.

Overall: One of the best fruit beers I've ever had. Just right. If I traded, this, Serendipity and Wisconsin Belgian Red would be on my permanent ISO list. I could drink this every day.

09-21-2013 05:07:56 | More by GameFreac
SeanBond

I had this one years back, when I visited the New Glarus Brewery. Unfortunately, back then I wasn't that big into craft beer (or beer itself), so I didn't know what I was drinking. Even so, I knew that this was good stuff. Recently I've been much more diligent in drinking everything that NG puts out, so I was anxious to give this one a shot again, as it was my intro to New Glarus. I wasn't disappointed.

I'm gonna keep this one short and sweet. If you liked Serendipity or Strawberry Rhubarb, you'll love this. As the name describes, this is a very raspberry taste, with lots of sweetness and a deliciously tart finish. Has just enough carbonation to give it an effervescent feel; just awesome.

01-06-2014 14:38:47 | More by SeanBond