Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,019
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

I appreciate raspberries. This was very natural in every way, colour, odour, freshness, and a meal in itself. Mondial 2005. Sweet to start, with tartness in middle, and finishes with refreshing slightly sweet aftertaste.
A bottle two years later courtesy of Derek. Just as good. What taste for low ABV.

06-05-2005 04:56:19 | More by Sammy
t0rin0

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

11-23-2012 00:20:16 | More by t0rin0
UCLABrewN84

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to burnheartsMKE for sending me this one!

Pours a semi-clear cranberry juice red with a tiny 1/2 light red head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. No lacing whatsoever. Smells of raspberries and raspberry puree in cherry/berry juice. There is a slight metallic odor I am getting too. Taste is awesome with sweet raspberries in a fruit juice cocktail. Very sweet yet slightly tart at the same time in a perfect balance. This is a highly carbonated beer that is very crisp and clean in the mouth. This is a delicious fruit beer all around and probably the best raspberry flavored beer I have ever had. Really refreshing and something I could drink a lot of in one night. I will seek out more of these for sure.

05-19-2011 01:05:12 | More by UCLABrewN84
djrn2

11-14-2011 23:00:21 | More by djrn2
Thorpe429

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

The beer pours a strawberry red with plenty of visible carbonation and a pink-tinted white head. The smell is one of slight sourness accompanied by overpowering fresh raspberries. The taste is much the same with an added tartness that complements the fruity sweetness of the raspberries perfectly. The mouthfeel is one of a good dose of carbonation on a fairly light-bodied beer; not too different from champagne, but perhaps a bit less carbonation. Drinkability is about as high as can be--with 4.0% abv, I'd have no problem going all night with this one.

09-24-2009 20:26:17 | More by Thorpe429
nmann08

District of Columbia

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

11-28-2011 23:07:42 | More by nmann08
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Lucent magenta with brilliant raspberry red highlights when backlit. The rosy pink head is more dense than expected and looks for all the world like a piece of shortcake saturated with berry juice. I doubt that much lace with be forthcoming, but that doesn't bother me in the least. This is a great looking fruit beer.

I have to hand it to the good folks at New Glarus. With Wisconsin Belgian Red and now Raspberry Tart, they've created the two finest fruit beer noses in all the world. I don't know how long it took to come up with the final recipe, but they've achieved raspberry beer perfection with regards to the aroma. It's both sweet and tart with nothing on display except the essence of the berries themselves. Wow! seems inadequate.

Raspberry Tart is as amazing as I thought it would be once I tasted Belgian Red. Check that, actually it's better. As in... better than I thought it would be and better than Belgian Red. It's probably too close to call, they're both the finest examples of their style in existence, but I can't imagine a better, more dizzyingly delicious concoction than that which sits before me at this moment. The fact that I like raspberries more than cherries is probably a factor.

As in the nose, there's very little present other than the berries themselves. What puts this beer into orbit is the complex combination of sweet and tart. I'm not enough of a zymurgist to know what aging in oak vats contributes or why the Hallertau hops need to be a year old. My guess is that at least the first of those is absolutely critical to the tangy fermented flavor that gives Razz Tart its soul and elevates it above mere fruit juice.

Even though I'm not big on pairing beer with sweets, I can't imagine a better accompaniment to a gooey fudge brownie or a dish of vanilla bean ice cream. I don't believe that it's at all unwarranted to call this the best fruit beer in the world. The sweetness limits drinkability somewhat, although if I use the question 'would I have another?' as my sole criterion, a bump in score would be a no-brainer.

My first thought was that the mouthfeel wasn't quite as thick and as syrupy as my memory of Belgian Red. Now, I'm not so sure. As the beer sits, it comes together beautifully and is now the very definition of heavily silky. This beer is a mouth party of the highest order! Since I have no idea how it could be improved... another perfect.

I don't know what else to say. I've used just about every adjective for 'great' that I can think of and I still feel that my ramblings have been inadequate to describe the... uh... greatness of Raspberry Tart. I hope this beer keeps as well as I think it does because I'll be clearing out Madison the next time I make the trip. Simply stunning.

09-10-2006 22:00:32 | More by BuckeyeNation
brentk56

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance: Pours a magenta color with a fluffy pink head that hangs around for a while and then descends to a ringlet but leaves delicate wisps of lace around the flute

Smell: Just about the most incredible whiff of raspberries you could imagine; fresh raspberry soda aroma

Taste: As soon as the liquid touches the tongue the sweet-tart interplay begins and intensifies after the swallow; the finish is long-lasting

Mouthfeel : Light bodied with a mouth-puckering prickly tartness

Drinkability: This beer is a joy to drink; keeping the alcohol low makes this so much more enjoyable

Thanks, murrayswine, for the opportunity and to FlandersNed, for the chance to taste a 4 year old version

08-25-2006 23:00:09 | More by brentk56
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Now lets talk a little bit about this one for a minute. I have been wanting to try this forever, and I just recently received not one, but two bottles of this brew. I really did not know what to expect going into it, but have heard it is simply outstanding. So needless to say the red wax coated 750 beckoned me from the start and I popped one open last night. Poured a very nice raspberry colored red with a small pink colored head and very nice carbonation visible throughout the session. The smell was rich with raspberry essence. Extremely strong so that nothing else could possibly come through. Now the flavor was to die for. I have never been the biggest fan of fruit beers in general, but this has just come to a whole new level. So sweet yet tart and sour at the same time, the flavor was so strong, yet not overpowering and not too sweet as to make you sick, it was in a word, perfect. It had the most perfect taste for this style I could have ever imagined. A great light body and great carbonation made it feel like water and there was just no hint of any kind of alcohol in this. This was by far one of the best brews I have ever had. I was raving mad about this all night long and easily killed the bottle myself. I just did not think anything could taste this good, this was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on as much as I could, I have to give it up here. This is one of the best drinks I have ever had, hands down, just wonderful. I would have to recommend this to everyone, go and get some!

10-27-2007 13:32:47 | More by mikesgroove
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Similar in nature to the Belgian Red, except with raspberries instead of cherries. I'd hate to know how much fruit is in each bottle. The beer just explodes with raspberry color, aroma, flavor, and tartness. Sweet, tart, and thickness to the point that it's hard to drink. Sip maybe, but not drink. Belly-aching sweet. Still the flavors and aromas are flawless. Juicy, ripe, rich and full. The beer has a lingering raspberry sweetness that goes on for days. Though I like the beer, it's a little over-bearing and could stand more beer-like qualities. I'm looking for a bit more vineous, woodsy, barley, hop, and drinkability--just a little more dimension.

05-15-2006 16:23:29 | More by BEERchitect
acurtis

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

03-18-2012 00:50:19 | More by acurtis
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Bottle: Poured a deep red color fruit beer with a nice bubbly pink head with minimal retention. Aroma of fresh sweet raspberries is just incredible and I could spend days just sniffing in my glass. Taste consisted of sweet fresh raspberry (not the chemical syrupy raspberry that are commonly used in fruit beers), slight tartness and a light acidic finish. It’s a shame that I cannot obtain this beer more regularly over here.

08-17-2005 14:12:44 | More by Phyl21ca
womencantsail

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

A big thanks to cvaypai for this bottle. Craig keeps on hooking it up with the Wisconsin goods.

A: The pour is a clear, dark, ruby/garnet color with little to no head.

S: Great raspberry aroma. There's a wonderful mix of tartness and sweetness. Maybe a bit of cranberry as well.

T: Like the nose, there is a great balance of tart and sweet raspberry. The flavor is not candy-like such as other fruit beers.

M: The body is medium and the level of carbonation is fairly low. Somehow, it works though.

T: Much, much more drinkable than the Wisconsin Belgian Red. The lack of cloying sweetness is quite a nice surprise and makes this beer very enjoyable.

01-01-2010 06:01:51 | More by womencantsail

11-15-2011 05:42:06 | More by spycow
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: Pours a murky, pinkish-brown body with a pink-hued, bubbly head.

Smell: Rich, fresh raspberry fruit aroma with a touch of tartness. Maybe a lil' bit of heaven added, too.

Taste: It's delish! Raspberry compote with just the perfect balance of pleasing sweetness and tartness. Small tinge of bitter and oak character serve as a reminder that you're not simply feasting on fresh juice. Finishes with a long, lingering fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Unrivaled drinkability. I can say, quite categorically, that New Glarus Raspberry Tart is a phenomenal, incredibly delicious beer. It's a damn shame all fruit beers can't be this good.

01-04-2009 20:57:09 | More by ChainGangGuy
jaydoc

Kansas

08-03-2013 20:31:52 | More by jaydoc
GRG1313

02-09-2013 22:19:03 | More by GRG1313
Knapp85

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%

A huge thanks to my friend Traci for getting this for me. Opened this over the weekend and shared it with a few close friends. The beer poured out as a nice clear looking ruby red color with a cream colored head on top. The smell of the beer floods the nose with a rush of fresh picked raspberries. There isn't too much else on the nose except for a light amount of tart funk, very light though and almost unnoticeable. The taste of the beer is sweet, it's loaded with raspberry flavors that dance on your taste buds leaving behind a tingling tartness behind. The beer finishes dry leaving you ready for the next sip. The mouthfeel of the beer is medium bodied with a soft carbonation to it. Overall this is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for with this beer, I would enjoy this one over and over again. Very glad I got to have this and hope to have it again someday.

03-09-2012 05:25:38 | More by Knapp85
TMoney2591

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Picked this guy up randomly while shopping fer brews at the outset of the Man's Weekend. It pours a deep garnet/ruby/other miscellaneous red-colored gemstones topped by well over a finger of slightly pink-tinted light ecru foam. The nose is an explosion of sweetened raspberries, as though a bowl o' them berries had been sprinkled liberally with confectioner's sugar. Some blueberries may or not be in the bowl as well, and some cinnamon seems to have been added to the sweetening party, though in much less abundance. The taste follows pretty dern closely, but a nice tartness replaces the seemingly sugariness. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sticky, syrupy feel. Overall, a very nice bit o' fruity goodness, excessively drinkable and increasingly tart/complex (so to speak) as the tasting goes on.

10-06-2010 15:58:40 | More by TMoney2591
westcoastbeerlvr

11-14-2011 23:41:52 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
emerge077

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at Hideaway in Chaseburg, WI. Served in a Lindemans flute. This was the scene: Country on the stereo, sitting under a Nascar neon, with some contractor dudes eating lunch at the bar, giving me the stink eye. I luckily survived, and here's a review (from notes).

Crimson brown, pinkish white foam, ok retention.
Some carbonation visible in the glass.

Seedy raspberry aroma, lightly sweet with traces of natural cherry and raspberry juice.

Lightly tart, 2/10 on the sour scale. A clearly defined raspberry flavor, sweet and juicy, very effervescent. Very lightly puckering, but the sweetness comes in and extinguishes any trace of sourness. Nice balance. One is enough to savor.

07-24-2010 06:18:33 | More by emerge077