Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,048
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros

GRG1313, Feb 09, 2013

kjkinsey, May 03, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance: Pours a magenta color with a fluffy pink head that hangs around for a while and then descends to a ringlet but leaves delicate wisps of lace around the flute

Smell: Just about the most incredible whiff of raspberries you could imagine; fresh raspberry soda aroma

Taste: As soon as the liquid touches the tongue the sweet-tart interplay begins and intensifies after the swallow; the finish is long-lasting

Mouthfeel : Light bodied with a mouth-puckering prickly tartness

Drinkability: This beer is a joy to drink; keeping the alcohol low makes this so much more enjoyable

Thanks, murrayswine, for the opportunity and to FlandersNed, for the chance to taste a 4 year old version

brentk56, Aug 26, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Similar in nature to the Belgian Red, except with raspberries instead of cherries. I'd hate to know how much fruit is in each bottle. The beer just explodes with raspberry color, aroma, flavor, and tartness. Sweet, tart, and thickness to the point that it's hard to drink. Sip maybe, but not drink. Belly-aching sweet. Still the flavors and aromas are flawless. Juicy, ripe, rich and full. The beer has a lingering raspberry sweetness that goes on for days. Though I like the beer, it's a little over-bearing and could stand more beer-like qualities. I'm looking for a bit more vineous, woodsy, barley, hop, and drinkability--just a little more dimension.

BEERchitect, May 15, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Bottle: Poured a deep red color fruit beer with a nice bubbly pink head with minimal retention. Aroma of fresh sweet raspberries is just incredible and I could spend days just sniffing in my glass. Taste consisted of sweet fresh raspberry (not the chemical syrupy raspberry that are commonly used in fruit beers), slight tartness and a light acidic finish. It’s a shame that I cannot obtain this beer more regularly over here.

Phyl21ca, Aug 17, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Lucent magenta with brilliant raspberry red highlights when backlit. The rosy pink head is more dense than expected and looks for all the world like a piece of shortcake saturated with berry juice. I doubt that much lace with be forthcoming, but that doesn't bother me in the least. This is a great looking fruit beer.

I have to hand it to the good folks at New Glarus. With Wisconsin Belgian Red and now Raspberry Tart, they've created the two finest fruit beer noses in all the world. I don't know how long it took to come up with the final recipe, but they've achieved raspberry beer perfection with regards to the aroma. It's both sweet and tart with nothing on display except the essence of the berries themselves. Wow! seems inadequate.

Raspberry Tart is as amazing as I thought it would be once I tasted Belgian Red. Check that, actually it's better. As in... better than I thought it would be and better than Belgian Red. It's probably too close to call, they're both the finest examples of their style in existence, but I can't imagine a better, more dizzyingly delicious concoction than that which sits before me at this moment. The fact that I like raspberries more than cherries is probably a factor.

As in the nose, there's very little present other than the berries themselves. What puts this beer into orbit is the complex combination of sweet and tart. I'm not enough of a zymurgist to know what aging in oak vats contributes or why the Hallertau hops need to be a year old. My guess is that at least the first of those is absolutely critical to the tangy fermented flavor that gives Razz Tart its soul and elevates it above mere fruit juice.

Even though I'm not big on pairing beer with sweets, I can't imagine a better accompaniment to a gooey fudge brownie or a dish of vanilla bean ice cream. I don't believe that it's at all unwarranted to call this the best fruit beer in the world. The sweetness limits drinkability somewhat, although if I use the question 'would I have another?' as my sole criterion, a bump in score would be a no-brainer.

My first thought was that the mouthfeel wasn't quite as thick and as syrupy as my memory of Belgian Red. Now, I'm not so sure. As the beer sits, it comes together beautifully and is now the very definition of heavily silky. This beer is a mouth party of the highest order! Since I have no idea how it could be improved... another perfect.

I don't know what else to say. I've used just about every adjective for 'great' that I can think of and I still feel that my ramblings have been inadequate to describe the... uh... greatness of Raspberry Tart. I hope this beer keeps as well as I think it does because I'll be clearing out Madison the next time I make the trip. Simply stunning.

BuckeyeNation, Sep 10, 2006

jaydoc, Aug 03, 2013

ygtbsm94, Jan 16, 2012
4.97/5  rDev +14%

Now lets talk a little bit about this one for a minute. I have been wanting to try this forever, and I just recently received not one, but two bottles of this brew. I really did not know what to expect going into it, but have heard it is simply outstanding. So needless to say the red wax coated 750 beckoned me from the start and I popped one open last night. Poured a very nice raspberry colored red with a small pink colored head and very nice carbonation visible throughout the session. The smell was rich with raspberry essence. Extremely strong so that nothing else could possibly come through. Now the flavor was to die for. I have never been the biggest fan of fruit beers in general, but this has just come to a whole new level. So sweet yet tart and sour at the same time, the flavor was so strong, yet not overpowering and not too sweet as to make you sick, it was in a word, perfect. It had the most perfect taste for this style I could have ever imagined. A great light body and great carbonation made it feel like water and there was just no hint of any kind of alcohol in this. This was by far one of the best brews I have ever had. I was raving mad about this all night long and easily killed the bottle myself. I just did not think anything could taste this good, this was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on as much as I could, I have to give it up here. This is one of the best drinks I have ever had, hands down, just wonderful. I would have to recommend this to everyone, go and get some!

mikesgroove, Oct 27, 2007
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

A big thanks to cvaypai for this bottle. Craig keeps on hooking it up with the Wisconsin goods.

A: The pour is a clear, dark, ruby/garnet color with little to no head.

S: Great raspberry aroma. There's a wonderful mix of tartness and sweetness. Maybe a bit of cranberry as well.

T: Like the nose, there is a great balance of tart and sweet raspberry. The flavor is not candy-like such as other fruit beers.

M: The body is medium and the level of carbonation is fairly low. Somehow, it works though.

T: Much, much more drinkable than the Wisconsin Belgian Red. The lack of cloying sweetness is quite a nice surprise and makes this beer very enjoyable.

womencantsail, Jan 01, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A huge thanks to my friend Traci for getting this for me. Opened this over the weekend and shared it with a few close friends. The beer poured out as a nice clear looking ruby red color with a cream colored head on top. The smell of the beer floods the nose with a rush of fresh picked raspberries. There isn't too much else on the nose except for a light amount of tart funk, very light though and almost unnoticeable. The taste of the beer is sweet, it's loaded with raspberry flavors that dance on your taste buds leaving behind a tingling tartness behind. The beer finishes dry leaving you ready for the next sip. The mouthfeel of the beer is medium bodied with a soft carbonation to it. Overall this is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for with this beer, I would enjoy this one over and over again. Very glad I got to have this and hope to have it again someday.

Knapp85, Mar 09, 2012

westcoastbeerlvr, Nov 14, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: Pours a murky, pinkish-brown body with a pink-hued, bubbly head.

Smell: Rich, fresh raspberry fruit aroma with a touch of tartness. Maybe a lil' bit of heaven added, too.

Taste: It's delish! Raspberry compote with just the perfect balance of pleasing sweetness and tartness. Small tinge of bitter and oak character serve as a reminder that you're not simply feasting on fresh juice. Finishes with a long, lingering fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Unrivaled drinkability. I can say, quite categorically, that New Glarus Raspberry Tart is a phenomenal, incredibly delicious beer. It's a damn shame all fruit beers can't be this good.

ChainGangGuy, Jan 04, 2009

SocalKicks, May 27, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Murky, turbid purple with a frothy purple head and sticky purple lace. I find it hard to believe that there are raspberries in this beer.

Smell: Raspberries, both sweet and sour, and nothing else. Perhaps this is one-dimensional, but it's one highly enjoyable dimension.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fresh raspberries, syrupy sweet but never cloying. Juicy and thick, yet remarkably refreshing. The finish is puckering and mildly sour, but ultimately clean.

largadeer, Mar 30, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Picked this guy up randomly while shopping fer brews at the outset of the Man's Weekend. It pours a deep garnet/ruby/other miscellaneous red-colored gemstones topped by well over a finger of slightly pink-tinted light ecru foam. The nose is an explosion of sweetened raspberries, as though a bowl o' them berries had been sprinkled liberally with confectioner's sugar. Some blueberries may or not be in the bowl as well, and some cinnamon seems to have been added to the sweetening party, though in much less abundance. The taste follows pretty dern closely, but a nice tartness replaces the seemingly sugariness. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sticky, syrupy feel. Overall, a very nice bit o' fruity goodness, excessively drinkable and increasingly tart/complex (so to speak) as the tasting goes on.

TMoney2591, Oct 06, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at Hideaway in Chaseburg, WI. Served in a Lindemans flute. This was the scene: Country on the stereo, sitting under a Nascar neon, with some contractor dudes eating lunch at the bar, giving me the stink eye. I luckily survived, and here's a review (from notes).

Crimson brown, pinkish white foam, ok retention.
Some carbonation visible in the glass.

Seedy raspberry aroma, lightly sweet with traces of natural cherry and raspberry juice.

Lightly tart, 2/10 on the sour scale. A clearly defined raspberry flavor, sweet and juicy, very effervescent. Very lightly puckering, but the sweetness comes in and extinguishes any trace of sourness. Nice balance. One is enough to savor.

emerge077, Jul 24, 2010

JAHMUR, Nov 14, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured out a clear, very bubbly, deep red color with a small, pink, fizzy head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of sweet raspberries. That's about it, but it was a very good aroma.

T - It tasted very sweet and of great raspberry flavor. Really an amazing taste.

M - It was very crisp and fizzy with a slightly dry finish. A light bodied beer.

D - This is really rich and full of flavor. This truly is an amazing brew.

zeff80, Apr 09, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -6%

a very special beer. used this instead of champaigne last night to bring in the new year. thanks to my girlfriend for hooking this up for me! the much anticipated pour was a red tainted pale brown color, mostly clear, with a ton of rising bubbles and a persistent finger or two of fizz. the nose takes you by surprise. its potently fresh raspberries, juicy and lush and overripe. there is also a medium toast malt underneath that gives this one a little more substance than perhaps the belgian red has, which i certianly appreciate. flavor too is heavenly raspberries, this brings me to late summer in the woods picking huge berries and stuffing my face growing up. some tartish yeast in here too adds a slight puckery element to balance the sweetness of the fruit. finish is perfect mix of sweet and tart, with sweet probably just getting the edge. the feel was interesting. its insanely carbonated, much like the champaigne we were replacing with this brew. body is light but not too too light, and the alcohol is of course super low, but to me this wasnt super drinkable. i think the sweetness combined with all the bubbles made it more of a slow sipper, and when we finished the bottle, i had definitely had enough of this. that said though, this is a rare treat to be savored and shared. new glarus has now given me two of the best fruit beers in the known world, so thanks for that!

StonedTrippin, Jan 01, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

A beautiful reddish body with a purpleish cast is capped by a short head of pink foam that quickly receeds to a thin collar and leaves little lacing about the glass. Fresh raspberries greet you in the nose and beckon you to take a sip! It's delicately effervescent carbonation tickles the tongue; and its medium body gives some girth to its sweet and tart flavors. The raspberry is quite authentic, and it's so juicy and puckeringly tart-sweet that you'd think you were drinking delicately carbonated raspberry juice! It finishes dry with a wash of acidity and some residual, lingering raspberry flavor. This is quite amazing, and it easily matches the intensity of some of the sweeter versions of raspberry lambic from Belgium. Brilliant!

NeroFiddled, May 15, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

An impressive looking champagne magnum that is waxed on the top.

Appearance: Murky red colour, looks like puréed raspberries. Light fizzy head give a champagne crackle.

Smell: Big aroma of freshly macerated raspberries. Very sweet yet enough fruity tartness as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Bam! Raspberries! Every corner your taste buds turn more raspberries. The tartness is right in balance with the sweetness of the fruit. Fizzy crisp mouth feel, sweet on the palate with some graininess within. A very faint alcohol also leads down the beer trail.

Notes: A perfect tasting fruit beer, “real fruit”! This is my top pick for an early afternoon brunch tipple.

Jason, Nov 30, 2003

Acquired via from fogdog courtesy of the 2009 Secret Bunny BIF, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 750ml wax-sealed bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright pinkish purple color, with a thin pink head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is all raspberries as you would expect and is very strong.

T: The taste is very tart and sour up front with the strong raspberry flavor. There's a little bit of sweetness that creeps in along with faint touches of wheat and hops. The malt character is thin on-target for this type of beer. The after-taste is sour.

M: Very crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty especially if you're into the raspberry flavor, goes down easily, not too filling, very mild kick, although I'm not a big lambic fan, this beer is right up there with the better lambics, sours and wine-like beers that I've had.

TheManiacalOne, Apr 30, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

22oz bottle into a Duvel snifter. Thanks to HopDerek for the split on this one.

Pours a clear dark amber (almost bloody) with a finger of off-white hued pink head that retained very nicely into a smooth, creamy covering that left little speckles of lace on the glass. The aroma is deep with BIG raspberry sweetness that is then complimented very nicely by a subtle sourness.

The taste is a full frontal blast of sweet raspberry puree, that much like the aroma, is balanced very nicely by a biting tartness. To top it off, there's even a fairly dose of prickly hop presence in the finish that keeps you on your toes. Quite the unique taste and one that I enjoyed immensely! The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a prickly carbonation and mouth coating feel.

Wow, what an insanely good fruit beer! The sweet fruit tones are very in your face but are kept in line perfectly by its tart and hoppy character. This was my first beer from New Glarus but by God, it won't be my last. Fantastic!

Kegatron, Jan 25, 2008