Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,061
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros

4.78/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle, poured into a fluted glass:

Pours hazed with beautiful hues of raspberry. It is capped off with a pink head that has pretty nice retention for the style. Spotted trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of fresh, tart raspberries.

The taste of fresh raspberries are not at all "artificial" and are sweet and tart. A firm malt backbone and a touch of noble hops let you know this is beer and not fruit malt beverage. It has a candy-like raspberry character. Sweet and tart balanced perfectly in the finish.

It is very smooth. I wouldn't mind a bit more effervescence (I think), but it is just fine the way it is.

An incredible "dessert" brew. This is one of the best, if not the best, fruit beer I've ever had. It is full of raspberry but has perfect balance. Very tasty and highly recommended!

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this wax-dipped 750 ml bottle of Wisconsin goodness. I had beer looking forward to trying this beer for quite some time and I was not disappointed.

The beer pours a medium-dark red color with a large white head. The aroma is strong raspberry. The flavor is sweet raspberries with a nice strong tart finish. Medium mouthfeel and medium, crisp carbonation. This has a more soda-like mouthfeel than the Belgian Red which seems to be more juice like. Overall, an outstanding fruit beer.

3.6/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brown glass bottle with waxed over pressure cap served into a Guinness goblet in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Expectations are through the roof given the brewery.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger beige-khaki colour head of good cream and thickness, and great retention. Body colour is a semitransparent translucent vibrant ruby-amber. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Tart raspberry, heavy fruit esters, pale malts, hints of cranberry, and hints of floral ester hops. An above average strength aroma.

T: Delightful tart sugary raspberry, great estery malts, and heavy sugary notes. Delightful clean fruit notes. Impeccably balanced. Incredibly well built. Diverse and evocative fruit.

Mf: Smooth, wet, perfectly carbonated, and featuring ideal thickness. Complements the flavour pretty well.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. Hides its ABV well. I'd definitely have this again. Lives up to the hype. Another fantastic brew from New Glarus. Incredible.

High B

3.53/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours into my glass with a deep pink colored head. The beer is a dark red color that is approaching black (though it has a ways to go). I get strong aromas of raspberries emanating from my glass as I pour this beer. The sweet raspberry notes dominate the aroma, though perhaps a hint of acidity comes through, but not much else. The beer is definitely sweet. It has a full fruity flavor and an almost thick body from the residual sugars that are left behind. It is quite tart in the finish, though it could perhaps use a bit more to balance the syrupy sweetness. I also get a bit of raspberry skin tannin in the finish. The sweetness really over powers that rest of the complexity that might be found in the base beer. This is definitely enjoyable, but is a bit too sweet and cloying to be a 'beer' for me.

3.75/5  rDev -14%

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

11/11/07- Received via Jetsbeer in a trade.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with a nice red wax coating around the neck. Has a marking code on the bottom of the label, but I have no idea how to read it. I aquired the bottle in 2005 sometime I believe, so it's at the very least 2 years old. Poured into my Alesmith tulip.

Appearance- Very murky almost dark blood red pour. Looks like cherry cough syrup. About a 1/2 inch off white reddish head...semi-creamy. Head evaporates quickly and leaves very minor lace markings.

Smell- Nothing but fresh raspberries here. Seems like a bit of cherries as well. Seems like it may be fairly sour.

Taste- Wow, I thought it was going to be a sour style beer, but it turns out it was more sweet. Sweet in a very good way. Taste like an orchard of fresh strawberries and cherries as well. Very mildly hopped...which I was expecting more as it said it used hallertau hops (aged ones), which probably makes sense for the muted hop flavors. Wonderful sweet and lightly sour brew. The best frambroise (of the sweet variety) I have had. Doesn't taste artificial like most of them.

Mouthfeel- Thick and viscous, but not quite syrupy. Starts off with a mid range carbonation and ends with a very soft sparkle. Super coating and leaves a great fruity sweet aftertaste.

Drinkability- Wow, I wonder if this would have been better fresh. I would love to get my hands on another of these. Will have to get it via trade though. Hat's off to New Glarus!! Thanks for this one Steven.

4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

From a 750 mL bottle, my 3rd time having this,

A: Pours red with a moderate light tan head, some lace.

S: Decadent full raspberry fruit nose, outstanding.

T: As with the nose, an incredible real raspberry flavour, like the best dessert you've ever had, nothing more to say about it. Can't help but put a smile on my face.

M: Light-bodied, very mildly acidic, smooth.

D: As with the Wisconsin Belgian Red this is incredible fruit beer. I'm so glad I got to revisit it. I still like Belgian Red a tad more, I think that's because I'm more of a cherry fan than raspberries. But I still love raspberries, this was phenomenal.

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: clear reddish purple color with a short 1" head. SOme spotty lace develops.

Smell: huge raspberry aroma here that is wonderful. No fake syrupy aroma here.

Taste: there is a light graininess to this beer. Big raspberry flavor with a bit of tartness. Bitterness is mild.

Mouthfeel: crisp and lightly dry from start to finish. Very long lasting raspberry flavors coat the tongue.

Drinkability: this is one of the best fruit styled beers I have had the pleasure to drink. Easy to quaff and very enjoyable.

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

750 mL wax dipped green bottle poured into a flute.

Pours a clear, deep raspberry red with a surprisingly large, light rosy head that has very nice retention and not surprisingly little lacing. If you like raspberries then the aroma and flavor are amazing and probably the best use of that fruit I've tasted in a beer. If you don't, well I guess I can understand you disinterest. Aroma is fresh raspberry puree, balance of tart and sweet with nothing else. Flavor is more of the same, medium thick body, mild carbonation, very dry finish and epic blend of raspberry sweetness and tart. Doesn't exactly fit the "normal" perception of what a beer should be, but what fruit beer does? Easily my favorite raspberry beer.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

25oz green bottle dipped in a color of wax that matches the fluid within...interesting.

Poured into a wine glass, it appears a somewhat hazy maroon, ruby, reddish-brown color with less than a finger of creamy slightly reddish stained head. Not much for retension outside the penline of white bubbles that has collected around the inside perimeter of the glass. Aroma of this beer is all raspberry sweetness with a faint touch of vinegar and some sourness in the backend. As it warms there is another layer of sweetness outside of the fruit, it is somewhat reminescent of caramel. Taste is about as close as one could ever imagine to drinking a modestly carbonated fresh raspberry juice. It is quite sweet upfront tasting obviously of raspberries and has a much more full mouthfeel than I have experienced with other fruit beers. The somewhat higher than expected carbonation really lets the flavors of the fruit come out in your mouth. The tartness of the raspberries is a bit exaggerated in the finish but it is to be expected considering the name of this beer...and it is quite enjoyable nontheless. There is a lingering sweetness left in the mouth tasting just like fresh raspberries.

Thanks to jojomdma for the trade at DLD for this one.

2.9/5  rDev -33.5%

From notes:

Received in a past trade with WilliamD. Thanks again Will, wherever you are.

Pours a very dark purplish plum/cherry red color with a thin pink foam head that quickly fades leaving no lacing.

Huge raspberry aroma with subtle oak and an overwhelming sweet sugary character. I know they use real fruit but it smells like artificialy flavored syrup.

Medium bodied with very soft, tight carbonation up front and a very sweet cloying raspberry flavor that dominates lingering into a slightly tart dry finish. There's a subtle earthy oak presence but again tastes mostly like artificial raspberry syrup. Just way too sweet and one dimensional for my taste.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Much thanks to hopdog for sharing this one. I've wanted to check this one out for a while.
Appears a dark crimson colored cranberry with a small white head. Little spots of white lacing are left behind.
Smell is of big ripe ripe raspberries. Not that I was expecting otherwise, of course.
Taste is of tart raspberries, along with a touch of cranberries. Similar to a lambic but much more refined and sweet.
Mouthfeel is smooth, sweet, and tart, making for an interesting brew.
Drinkability is good. I think I would still take the Belgian Red over this one but it definitely gets the job done.

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed over the summer, during a lazy trip through Wisconsin, review is from notes. Large green bottle with that classy waxed top. Bottle shows no freshness or vintage dating. Pours dark amber, with a short lived head and only minor lacing to be observed. Fruity, smoky and SOUR nose. Pleasingly tart brew, not for everybody, but to my taste buds this stuff makes a fine desert brew for those of us into this type of creation. Rich raspberry notes. Tasty and well worth seeking out if in the Wisc. general area.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

What a beautiful beer! Pours dark ed with a really nice head. Massive raspberry in the nose with the fruit coming through loud and clear and some seediness giving some more tannic notes to the aroma. The taste is sweet/tart with laser-like raspberry fruit flavor and some sweet malt. Really amazing. Super creamy and smooth in the mouth, this is a joy to the drink. Although it is somewhat of a one-note wonder, that note is clean, pure, sustained, and brilliant.

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into my Lindemans campaign type flute.

Pours only 1/2 fingers of a dulled down pink colored head. Not the best retention or lace. Color is a very unique. The color is basically that of a raspberry. Red mixed with a magenta pink.

Aroma: Big surprise here, but I get a fresh raspberry aroma. A nice fresh fruity taste, but that is all I am really getting here. I like it, but I can't say I am too impressed.

Taste: This beer seems to be pretty straight forward to me: Raspberries and tartness, just like the bottle suggests. This beer really makes the lips pucker. Really can't taste any type of alcohol here. It tastes a lot like a juice.

Mouthfeel: Very sweet and tarty. This is a nice puckering beer. Medium bodied, surprisingly filling. Has a good amount of carbonation. Ends with a clean raspberry flavored aftertaste.

Overall, I am very impressed with this beer. It is surprisingly a big beer with a lot of flavor for how low the abv is. 4%??? That is crazy. I really like it, but I wish the nose would have been a little more flavorful. This beer is definitely worth a try. I had a hard time finishing the last 6 ounces of my bottle.

3.68/5  rDev -15.6%

The raspberry flavor dominates, tastes delicious, and has a perfect tart balancing kick, but this beer is just too hard to drink. Really, I suggest splitting a bottle with at least 3 people. It was fantastic paired with some good vanilla bean ice cream for dessert, but I still had a lot left after and naturally I can't let it go to waste, but it's a bit of a chore to drink. Damn tasty, but bring friends.

3.75/5  rDev -14%