Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

Wants: 1,177
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 896 | Hads: 3,471
4.64/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Pours a dark, murky plum color, with a two finger pink head. Retention is minimal, with light, spotty lacing.

S - Pure, delicious raspberry on the nose. A bit of earthyness & grass, but anything besides the raspberry struggles to get through. I'm ok with that.

T - Carbonated raspberry juice. And I mean that in the best possible way. Not too tart; the sweet & tart are very well balanced. A bit spicy as well.

M - Medium light body & spritzy carbonation. Semi-dry finish.

D - light body & sweet/tart balance along with the low ABV makes this insanely sessionable.

Another unique & delicious fruit beer from New Glarus. More than worthy of the acclaim it gets.

4.46/5  rDev +2.8%

750mL thanks to my secret Santa (I think). Whoa holy s*** this is good. I am not a giant fan of the Belgian Red but I know it is hard for NG to come out with a beer that is not stellar. What an outstanding fruit beer that is neither 10%+ nor a lambic.

Pours a clear deep purple to ruby with a towering, thick, creamy, slightly pink head that has excellent retention and good lace. Aroma is incredible: fresh raspberries, pithy raspberry, seedy raspberry preserves, really so rich and bright with fresh fruitiness. No candy sugar, no sticky sweetness. Taste is so brilliant: it is malty, creamy, not buttery, with so much fresh raspberry that brings out a naturally tartness that is not framboise sour. No pedio, lacto, acedic acid. No lambic character. But somehow is perfectly balanced between sour berries and sweet malt. Lively, bubbly tart on the palate that finishes super quick making you beg for more. It is not massively complex, but it is a beer that I will crave from now on every day. Destroys all fruit beer. 8/10/2010 8/5/8/5/15=4.1

750mL. Pour is perfect- a clear jewel black ruby with a massive pinkish beige head. Huge retention and wispy, gorgeous delicate lace abounds across the raster tulip. Nose is seedy raspberry smoothie. Taste....wow. So much lactic sourness, seedy raspberry, sweet raspberry smoothie. Palate is ultra silky with a long lactic finish. Mild spice and sharp sting. Perfect blend of sweet and sour. Incredible raspberry character. Impossible for any organic lifeform to not thoroughly enjoy this. Whoa. 11/9/2011 8/5/9/5/17=4.4

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottle into pint glass.

A: Voluminous, fine head with a pink tint. Settles quickly into almost nothing. Body is clear, and a distinctly brownish red.

S: Tart raspberry scent, just a bit of maltiness to it. Not much else on the nose, sadly. No bitterness at all--wouldn't be much point here.

T: Fantastic. The raspberry flavor dominates, but does not overwhelm. I wouldn't touch this if you hate fruit beers, or raspberries, but it's not overly sweet at all. The raspberry flavor rounds out into a distinctly beer-like taste in the end--a bit of caramel malt. No hops at all.

M: Not as fizzy as expected. Slightly sticky, syrupy mouthfeel.

D: Eminently high. This stuff is like candy for adults.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Deep red hue with little to no head. Extremely fragrant and smells of..well..Raspberries. Heavily. Mayb e a touch of yeastiness. Great taste for a fruit beer. My favorite yet. Great pure raspberry taste with some sourness as well. Overall this was my favorite fruit beer yet. I'm more into stouts and heavier beers, but this was a great change of pace.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to DrDogBeer for this brew:

A - Pours an opaque red with a small pink cola like head that disipated quickly into nothingness leaving no lace.

S - Smells of intense raspberries and tart sours that dominates letting nothing else through.

T - Raspberries, murky sours, hints of other tart sours, and sugery syrups.

M - Unexpectadly milky with a good carbonation.

D - One of the better labics I have tried. Not really a big fan of the style, but this one did not disappoint.

This is a treat.. If we're going directly based on the fruit beer category, this one takes one of the top 3 prizes.
Pours a vibrant dark burgundy with a pink/tan cross head.
The smell of fresh raspberries permeates from the bottles as it pours into the glass.
The taste matches the smell scent for sip. Sweet, fresh fruit. Tart, then sweet again.
A low alcohol beer, but one to appreciate because of the pure artisanship that goes into each bottle.

4.26/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle. Appearance: Deep burgundy and clear, with a moderate pink/brown foam head. Aroma: Fresh raspberries and blackberries. No noticeable malt or hop aromas. Taste: Sweet raspberry up front, giving way to a sharp, tart, acidic bite. A slight malt breadiness is there after the swallow. Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with high carbonation that accentuates the tartness of the beer. Finish: Lingering tart raspberry/blackberry with a hint of bready malt. Overall: World class fruit beer. Perfect balance of fresh berry aromas, and contrasting sweet/tart berry flavors. Well carbonated to accentuate the tartness. Great dessert beer

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Pours a cranberry juice red with a small whiteish head and some decent lacing.

S: Sweet raspberries fill the nose. Very sweet like a raspberry spumante. I wouldn't say over the top though.

T: Very sweet and tart. Nice flavor overall not too overwhelming.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation.

D: Pretty good but I could only drink so much in a session but it makes a nice sweet treat for after dinner.

4.36/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into champagne flute.

A - Pours a light blood colored red with strawberry shortcake looking two finger foam head. A thing of beauty!

S - Tart raspberries as you'd expect. Some fruity esters in there as well.

T - Tart raspberry and cherry.

M - Light and effervescent. High carbonation.

O - A beautiful light fruity beer. Great example of this style. Perfect light dessert beer.

4.77/5  rDev +9.9%

A- ruddy combination of ruby and pink. an inch of garnet head. not much lacing

S- OMGRASPBERRIES. but seriously, amazing smell, liquid raspberry but not in a cloying soda-ish way. lots of tart juice and lemon zest too.

T- sublime, fresh picked raspberries, a little acetic on the finish, great transition from sweet up front to tart.

M- prickly carbonation and very light

O- best fruit beer i've had, very unique and epitomizes how extreme beer can get. very lucky to come across this one on the shelves in NY!

4.19/5  rDev -3.5%

In the Texas heat during August, I usually want something really light and something with fruity flavors. Thanks to my friend, Aaron, I had an opportunity to taste this gem. It's a welcome respite from all of the summer beers I've tasted in the past.

The appearance looked very dark for what it is, so it sure didn't look that light.The smell of this beer isn't as fragrant as I would thought a fruit beer would have, however smelling aroma from the beers isn't my forte.

The taste and mouthfeel of this beer is excellent. I certainly loved the taste of this beer because it isn't overly sweet like some of the other fruit beers I've tasted over the years. It's certainly not as sweet as Lindeman's Framboise.

Drinkability's great if you want something fruity without the excess sweetness.

A - As the geniuses behind New Glarus states on the glass... Pour in a flute and enjoy the sparkle. I think for New Years instead of popping champagne I'll pop open this beauty. Pink/ Red color with lingering off-white head.
S - Fantastic, fruity, fizzy berry aroma.
M - Perfectly carbonated but does not overwhelm sinuses with bubbles. Oak adds a silky component that is often imitated in framboises, geuzes, flanders, but this brew has it perfected.
T - Liquid perfection, the appearance and smell come through with a sip or a gulp.
O - Usually buy as many as I can when the opportunity presents itself. Also, New Glarus may be the best run business/brewery on their scale... even though they are in the land of Packer nation... everything from their outside area, copper kettles, sanitation. A place for other breweries to learn from for sure.

4.73/5  rDev +9%

This was the gem of a box sent to me by a friend visiting the midwest. Cracked it open last night with a good friend early in the evening.

Far from the chrystaline sparkle promised on the bottle, this looked like very fine raspberry puree. Not lumpy, but thick and opaque. Pretty color, even that was muted. This is the only area where this one gets dinged.

I didn't know what to expect from this, flavor wise, but as soon as it hit my lips: oh, a framboise lambic! Compared with Lindeman's, this is a much fuller flavor all around. The initial tang made me jerk my head back, but after a brief recovery period, it was smooth sailing from there on out.

While it looked thick, it was quite smooth in the mouth. Not overly heavy, but it did have some weight to it, allowing the tartness to come through without being astringent.

If I had more than one bottle of this, I would be drinking it every day.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a wax covered bomber into a champagne flute

A- pours a slightly hazy reddish brown, a massive two finger fluffy head appears and slowly dissipates down to a nice covering, lots of bubbles sticking to the side of the flute, nice ring of lace left on the glass

S- raspberries and lots of them, some sour funk hits the nose as well, a little bit of bready malt as well

T- sweet and tart, tastes like pure raspberry juice, not too much to elaborate on here, delicious

M- medium body, fairly high carbonation but it works well, covers the whole palate

O- this is a delicious beer, I saved this one for months as my desert beer for Thanksgiving and it was worth it, not one you want to drink regularly but this is a great special occasion beer

3.35/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I really try not to give beers such a terrible rating but this one if worth losing every point. Way to overly sweet and syrupy and the flavor was just too artificial for me. Would not drink this beer again if I was in the sahara and stuck in head deep sand.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Served in Champagne flutes. Pours a nice red with pink head.

All raspberries...with maybe a little hint of vanilla.

Taste is sweet and tart and near perfect. Real raspberries and not an artificial flavoring syrup.

Great dessert beer alone or compliments so many other desserts and salads.

Poured some leftover around French Vanilla Ice Cream. Used a splash in salad dressing.

4.96/5  rDev +14.3%

Incredible deep, ruby red color, almost brown, so maybe that means it's closer to garnet? Two finger pinkish head that stayed for a long long time, lots of lacing, I keep holding it up to the light and looking in amazement at that incredible red color. Lots of fine, champagne-like bubbles rising to the top.

The smell is like pure fresh raspberries and hearty pie crust. The fruit smell is so incredible. It really smells like a delicious pastry with raspberry jam on it. And the aroma is so strong, you can smell it standing feet away from the open bottle.

Taste,,, yuueeaahhh god man. Just look at me man. Sweet, yet tart (but not quite sour) fresh raspberries, just enough bready yeast to make it taste like a cobbler or pie. It seriously tastes like some pastry or crust/crumbs along side the fresh, natural fruit. There has to be something like 5,000 lbs of raspberry in each bottle, it's that strong. The first time I tried this, I thought "okay it's going to be fruity but probably sour" and "okay it'll be REALLY fruity" but the sheer, well, fruitiness of it pretty much shot my face off. I would never have believed it possible to make a beer that tastes this much like a fruit. And in such a balanced, yet powerful way! The crust/cobbler sweetness balances the perfect level of tartness in a way that, again, doesn't even seem like it should be possible.

Mouth feel, nearly perfect. Creamy texture, light to medium body, with fine champagne bubbles, somewhat thin and fruity but still thick enough to coat your mouth with the unbelievable taste. It's dry, but not too dry.

Overall: remarkable,,,

Every time I am about to try a new beer from New Glarus I think that there is no chance I will like it as much as the last one, but once again I am proven wrong. Of all the tart fruit beers I have tried from New Glarus, this one, at least as of now, is my absolute favorite. New Glarus somehow manages to find that perfect medium between being sweet, but not too sweet and tart, but not lip puckering tart. These beers are seriously good enough to move to Wisconsin for. :-)

Received in a recent trade with justn. Split with my wife during some NCAA games...

Poured into a wine glass. Pours a deep pinkish orange color...A thin white head (with a tinge of pink) sits on top and quickly turns to merely a ring of foam. No lacing is left behind. Minus the head, this could easily be mistaken for a glass of wine.

Smells like raspberries - profound, I know. Actually, it might more closely be described by comparing it to raspberry jam. The nose is filled with a sweetness that could be found by sniffing a jar of Smucker's. There is a tiny bit of tartness to the smell as well...but really, it's all raspberries.

Zero surprise when tasting this one! It is so smashed with raspberries I can't even tell I'm drinking a beer. As sweet raspberry first hits the tongue, it mixes with just a slight amount of tart. As I swallow, the tart is once again replaced by the sweetness, which lingers around for a while on its return visit. My wife absolutely loves this - It is a bit too sweet for me, however. I much prefer beers that tend toward the tart side, as opposed to the sweet. Perhaps a bit unfair to downgrade based on that, but then again, I'm reviewing based on what I like. I do love the fullness of this beer - the mouthfeel is outstanding. A bit of tangy left over after the finish.

With the borderline sweetness levels, this beer is notched down just a tad on drinkability At a measly 4%, one could drink this all night...my wife may just test that hypothesis.

Overall, a very well crafted beer. I can certainly tell why New Glarus has hit a home run with this one. I know dozens of people that would absolutely love this brew. Well done!

Consumed: 3/25/2010

4.77/5  rDev +9.9%

4 bottles courtesy of younger35, so glad he is my WI mule!!
Poured into an oversized wine glass while watching top chef last night. Great red color with a pinkish head and no visible lace. The raspberry smell hits you right away and its fantastic. Taste is somewhat sweet and tart but not too much of either. Great mouthfeel with a nice carbonation. Drinkability is off the charts. I can't keep this stuff around for more than a few weeks when I get it, I just love it and really enjoy drinking it. Very refreshing, besides sweetwater blue, it's the best fruit beer I have ever tasted.

4.31/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a wine glass.

Dark ruby in color, 2 finger off white head which settles robs film.  Decent lacing.

The nose is pretty light; mostly raspberries and cherries.  Some winey and yeasty character.

Wow this is just what I was hoping for based off reviews!  Tastes of raspberry compote.  It actually reminds me exactly of this Polish raspberry concentrate which parents would mix with water.  There's alcohol in here??  Tastes like juice.  It finishes slightly tart.

Thick and syrupy.  Low carbonation, but there seems to be a bit of effervescence to it.  Drinks very easily.

This stuff is delicious and I recommend you get some. Best framboise I've had so far. I'll have to try the Belgian Red next.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

A salesman of mine came in today with a bottle for us to drink. Gotta love it when a salesman brings in a bottle of something we can't even purchase in this state.
L:A dirty(good dirty) brown felmish sours look. Off white reddish head that disappears quickly.
S:sour/tart raspberry almost cranberry like. Smelled like you had just picked off a ton of fresh raspberry right off the plant and smelled them. A brownish type smell as well.
T: A mild raspberry jam sweetness peeks out right away being knocked right out by tart. Deliscious sour tart squeezes out the back of your tounge. Almost giving you cotton mouth with how tart it is.
M:Light sharp fizz on the bottom of my tounge.
D:Great!!! Could sit down and have with before dinner, with dinner or after dinner. With a meal or without, this is a great beer.

3.09/5  rDev -28.8%

Appearance is a nice light red color with pink head and some decent lacing. Very inviting looking. Smell is tons and tons of sweet raspberries and a little bit of mustiness. A little overpowering. Not that I don't like my beer overpowering, but I prefer some complexity, even in a fruit beer. Taste is pure mashed raspberry syrup on the tip of the tongue. It does have some faint mustiness and a lingering tart aspect to keep the sweetness in check, which makes me able to finish almost half the 750, but it's still a struggle. Mouthfeel is very nice and velvety though.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

750ml bottle poured into wine glass.

Beer pours a deep ruby garnet color with a nice bit of tan foamy head on top. It dissipates quickly and doesn't leave much lacing. The smell is raspberry jam/jelly/syrup. It smells like a raspberry pastry...more like a nice danish and less like a jelly donut, but it is definitely a raspberry and sweet bread mixture. It's a very unique smell that I haven't seen in a lot of beers. The taste is pure sweet raspberry with a touch of tartness on the finish. It's fairly sweet, but not in a sugary cloying way. The fruit definitely comes through very well here, and the beer gets much better as it warms. This a great fruit beer that really showcases the flavor of the fruit. The mouthfeel is great and is perfectly dry. I expected it to be syrupy on the finish, but it is very clean. It is a surprisingly slow sipper for the low ABV, but I don't mind taking my time with it.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from the bottle into a New Glarus flute. Thanks, Brady.

The pour isn't as red as one might expect - it's more the color of iced tea. Slightly off-white head billows up, but doesn't hang around for very long. I would like this to be more striking in color and to have better head retention.

Smell: Raspberries. Sweet, sour, ripe and unripe raspberries.

Taste: Raspberries. It's sweet on the front end, with just a hint of a tartness through the midpalate. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is good, adequate amount of carbonation, quite slick, long fruity finish. Light-medium body.

Drinkability is quite good. At just 4% abv, and without being super sweet, this one goes down pretty easy and quickly.

Good beer, perhaps only bested (in terms of American fruit beers) by Belgian red. Recommended.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company