Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

Wants: 1,177
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 896 | Hads: 3,468
4.96/5  rDev +14.3%

Incredible deep, ruby red color, almost brown, so maybe that means it's closer to garnet? Two finger pinkish head that stayed for a long long time, lots of lacing, I keep holding it up to the light and looking in amazement at that incredible red color. Lots of fine, champagne-like bubbles rising to the top.

The smell is like pure fresh raspberries and hearty pie crust. The fruit smell is so incredible. It really smells like a delicious pastry with raspberry jam on it. And the aroma is so strong, you can smell it standing feet away from the open bottle.

Taste,,, yuueeaahhh god man. Just look at me man. Sweet, yet tart (but not quite sour) fresh raspberries, just enough bready yeast to make it taste like a cobbler or pie. It seriously tastes like some pastry or crust/crumbs along side the fresh, natural fruit. There has to be something like 5,000 lbs of raspberry in each bottle, it's that strong. The first time I tried this, I thought "okay it's going to be fruity but probably sour" and "okay it'll be REALLY fruity" but the sheer, well, fruitiness of it pretty much shot my face off. I would never have believed it possible to make a beer that tastes this much like a fruit. And in such a balanced, yet powerful way! The crust/cobbler sweetness balances the perfect level of tartness in a way that, again, doesn't even seem like it should be possible.

Mouth feel, nearly perfect. Creamy texture, light to medium body, with fine champagne bubbles, somewhat thin and fruity but still thick enough to coat your mouth with the unbelievable taste. It's dry, but not too dry.

Overall: remarkable,,,

3.35/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I really try not to give beers such a terrible rating but this one if worth losing every point. Way to overly sweet and syrupy and the flavor was just too artificial for me. Would not drink this beer again if I was in the sahara and stuck in head deep sand.

Received in a recent trade with justn. Split with my wife during some NCAA games...

Poured into a wine glass. Pours a deep pinkish orange color...A thin white head (with a tinge of pink) sits on top and quickly turns to merely a ring of foam. No lacing is left behind. Minus the head, this could easily be mistaken for a glass of wine.

Smells like raspberries - profound, I know. Actually, it might more closely be described by comparing it to raspberry jam. The nose is filled with a sweetness that could be found by sniffing a jar of Smucker's. There is a tiny bit of tartness to the smell as well...but really, it's all raspberries.

Zero surprise when tasting this one! It is so smashed with raspberries I can't even tell I'm drinking a beer. As sweet raspberry first hits the tongue, it mixes with just a slight amount of tart. As I swallow, the tart is once again replaced by the sweetness, which lingers around for a while on its return visit. My wife absolutely loves this - It is a bit too sweet for me, however. I much prefer beers that tend toward the tart side, as opposed to the sweet. Perhaps a bit unfair to downgrade based on that, but then again, I'm reviewing based on what I like. I do love the fullness of this beer - the mouthfeel is outstanding. A bit of tangy left over after the finish.

With the borderline sweetness levels, this beer is notched down just a tad on drinkability At a measly 4%, one could drink this all night...my wife may just test that hypothesis.

Overall, a very well crafted beer. I can certainly tell why New Glarus has hit a home run with this one. I know dozens of people that would absolutely love this brew. Well done!

Consumed: 3/25/2010

4.77/5  rDev +9.9%

4 bottles courtesy of younger35, so glad he is my WI mule!!
Poured into an oversized wine glass while watching top chef last night. Great red color with a pinkish head and no visible lace. The raspberry smell hits you right away and its fantastic. Taste is somewhat sweet and tart but not too much of either. Great mouthfeel with a nice carbonation. Drinkability is off the charts. I can't keep this stuff around for more than a few weeks when I get it, I just love it and really enjoy drinking it. Very refreshing, besides sweetwater blue, it's the best fruit beer I have ever tasted.

4.31/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a wine glass.

Dark ruby in color, 2 finger off white head which settles robs film.  Decent lacing.

The nose is pretty light; mostly raspberries and cherries.  Some winey and yeasty character.

Wow this is just what I was hoping for based off reviews!  Tastes of raspberry compote.  It actually reminds me exactly of this Polish raspberry concentrate which parents would mix with water.  There's alcohol in here??  Tastes like juice.  It finishes slightly tart.

Thick and syrupy.  Low carbonation, but there seems to be a bit of effervescence to it.  Drinks very easily.

This stuff is delicious and I recommend you get some. Best framboise I've had so far. I'll have to try the Belgian Red next.

Every time I am about to try a new beer from New Glarus I think that there is no chance I will like it as much as the last one, but once again I am proven wrong. Of all the tart fruit beers I have tried from New Glarus, this one, at least as of now, is my absolute favorite. New Glarus somehow manages to find that perfect medium between being sweet, but not too sweet and tart, but not lip puckering tart. These beers are seriously good enough to move to Wisconsin for. :-)

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

A salesman of mine came in today with a bottle for us to drink. Gotta love it when a salesman brings in a bottle of something we can't even purchase in this state.
L:A dirty(good dirty) brown felmish sours look. Off white reddish head that disappears quickly.
S:sour/tart raspberry almost cranberry like. Smelled like you had just picked off a ton of fresh raspberry right off the plant and smelled them. A brownish type smell as well.
T: A mild raspberry jam sweetness peeks out right away being knocked right out by tart. Deliscious sour tart squeezes out the back of your tounge. Almost giving you cotton mouth with how tart it is.
M:Light sharp fizz on the bottom of my tounge.
D:Great!!! Could sit down and have with before dinner, with dinner or after dinner. With a meal or without, this is a great beer.

3.09/5  rDev -28.8%

Appearance is a nice light red color with pink head and some decent lacing. Very inviting looking. Smell is tons and tons of sweet raspberries and a little bit of mustiness. A little overpowering. Not that I don't like my beer overpowering, but I prefer some complexity, even in a fruit beer. Taste is pure mashed raspberry syrup on the tip of the tongue. It does have some faint mustiness and a lingering tart aspect to keep the sweetness in check, which makes me able to finish almost half the 750, but it's still a struggle. Mouthfeel is very nice and velvety though.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

750ml bottle poured into wine glass.

Beer pours a deep ruby garnet color with a nice bit of tan foamy head on top. It dissipates quickly and doesn't leave much lacing. The smell is raspberry jam/jelly/syrup. It smells like a raspberry pastry...more like a nice danish and less like a jelly donut, but it is definitely a raspberry and sweet bread mixture. It's a very unique smell that I haven't seen in a lot of beers. The taste is pure sweet raspberry with a touch of tartness on the finish. It's fairly sweet, but not in a sugary cloying way. The fruit definitely comes through very well here, and the beer gets much better as it warms. This a great fruit beer that really showcases the flavor of the fruit. The mouthfeel is great and is perfectly dry. I expected it to be syrupy on the finish, but it is very clean. It is a surprisingly slow sipper for the low ABV, but I don't mind taking my time with it.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from the bottle into a New Glarus flute. Thanks, Brady.

The pour isn't as red as one might expect - it's more the color of iced tea. Slightly off-white head billows up, but doesn't hang around for very long. I would like this to be more striking in color and to have better head retention.

Smell: Raspberries. Sweet, sour, ripe and unripe raspberries.

Taste: Raspberries. It's sweet on the front end, with just a hint of a tartness through the midpalate. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is good, adequate amount of carbonation, quite slick, long fruity finish. Light-medium body.

Drinkability is quite good. At just 4% abv, and without being super sweet, this one goes down pretty easy and quickly.

Good beer, perhaps only bested (in terms of American fruit beers) by Belgian red. Recommended.

3.69/5  rDev -15%

Deep red-raspberry color with a pink head that abruptly dissipates. It has an absolutely terrific raspberry aroma. It reminds me of a raspberry pastry. It's flavor is very sweet. Almost too sweet. Has only a slight tart, sour flavor to it. The mouthfeel gives a bit of pucker and tingling sensations. Has average drinkablitily, as the sweetness becomes too much.

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours reddish-amber with thin head and medium retention. Has a big, sourish, fruity-berry nose with some malt sweetness mixed in as well. Flavor-wise, the name fits very well. A berry explosion followed by a sharp, tart-sour tang. Very wine-like, leaves a pleasant tang on the back of the tongue as I drink.

Another awesome fruit beer from New Glarus, this one is world class and right behind the cherry. A must try.

4.34/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to ThomasHardy for the in-person swap at DLD.

From notes to self. Been curious to try this offering for some time.

Murky dark reddish brown. Fantastic aroma of what else? Raspberries, also some faint sour notes. Taste of sweet, but not overly sweet raspberry puree. Slightly tart finish. Boardering syrupy mouthfeel, with just enough carbonation. Very refreshing brew. Paired sublimely with homemade cheesecake after Mother's day dinner. Really glad I got to try this.

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared amongst new friends at an epic beer tasting!

A - pours a nice ruby red with a thick, tall white head. Great lacing on the glass with each sip.

S - one word - raspberry! There are some other underlying fruity smells...maybe plum, but raspberry rules here.

T - I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. It's similar to drinking a sparkling raspberry juice. No taste alcohol at all.

d -Great carbonation makes your mouth tingle with this one. I really enjoyed this beer. I would love to drink this on a warm, sunny day. With any luck, I will get another shot at it.

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours from a champagne bottle into a wide mouth glass. A pinkish red color with a medium pinkish white head. A tiny bit frothy in the head; good carbonation in this beer! The smell is clearly raspberry; the flavour as well. This taste slightly sweet and goes down well.

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Got this in a trade from Luke, my Wisconsin pipeline. Thanks Luke! This was definitely a great "dessert beer," much more worthy than the Subway sandwich that preceded it. Let's get down to brass tacks, though...

This beer pours a dark reddish color, low turbidity - it looks like a very very concentrated glass of cranberry juice - the pink head rises to one finger, but quickly dissipates to low surface dwelling foam.

Smell is faint, but definitely noticeable - raspberries, obviously, but also some mild hops and a touch of something grassy, like a saison maybe.

Like I said, this beer is just plain dessert - think playing croquet on a hot day with some respectable company who would rather drink Bartles and James than Pliny the Elder. This beer is a great introduction to quality craft brew for the non-adventurous, hops paranoid, buttoned-down crowd. Initially very tame, but then the raspberry taste hits you - much more complex than I would have thought.

Mouthfeel is very very tart, and this beer definitely coats the tongue. This would be a great one for a summer day when there's not too much going on.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

From notes - fruit beer tasting on 4/7/2012.

Ruby red, just enough carbonation for a light lacing. Lacing fades quickly, looks almost uncarbonated. A gemstone in a glass.

Pure raspberries on the nose!

Again, raspberries. A very slight amount of bitterness, but no hop taste. Not too sweet, and not syrupy at all. Really nothing else to say - it’s a fantastic raspberry beer.

Much more carbonated than it looks, bubbly like champagne. Very light and refreshing.

An excellent light raspberry brew. Received in a trade with Willspeh - I will be asking for more, buddy.

3.77/5  rDev -13.1%

750 ml bottle which was brought back to me by UHRHAN on his Wisco / Minnesota brewery tour.

A - Very dark red with little to no head.

S - Lots of raspberries. You get nothing else, but in your face raspberries. Great smell.

T & M - Carbonated similar to a champagne. Light bodied. Full of raspberry flavor. Wouldn't even describe this as a beer - definitely a framboise.

Overall - You know, it is what it is. If you are looking for a raspberry type wheat beer, this isn't it. It's definitely similar to a framboise with lots of carbonation. This is a great beer to share, similar to a bottle of champagne - great dessert treat or one to drink with others while enjoying some cheese and crackers - hell, it is from Wisconsin after all. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but it's not because I disliked it, just not my favorite style of beer.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to Cooperrip for sharing this bottle with me.
Poured into non-descript brandy snifter.
Poured a hazy, bloodied-raspberry purple. Minimal pinkish head with some slight lacing .
Aroma of fresh raspberry puree. Quite sweet on the nose. Reminded me of a Flintstone raspberry sherbet push-up from when I was a kid. Man I love those things.
Taste of fresh raspberry puree. Quite sweet on the tongue with some tartness for a decent balance.
Really, it's a medium carbonated raspberry puree in a bottle.
No hops, no malt. Just raspberries. Medium mouthfeel, and a bit cloying. Quite tasty, but I don't think I'd be able to drink an entire bottle myself.

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a wine glass. A healthy head develops atop a rose colored brew. Scent of berries is pleasant, not overpowering. Tastes to me exactly like whole wheat toast with butter and raspberry jam; not the "tart" I was expecting but I can't say I was disappointed by that. Medium bodied and smooth. I could drink this all night.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to my friend Rob for shipping this to me.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A: Vigorous pour yields almost no head. Color is gorgeous garnet ruby red. Lacing is some of the best I have seen on any beer bar none.

S: Smells of tart raspberries, and oddly enough tobacco as this one warms. Pipe tobacco that is. It makes me want to drink it.

T: Taste is obviously of raspberries, and very much like the fruit but more tart and more sweet. The sourness is really good and I am enjoying it throughout until I get to the end of a roughly 10oz pour. At that point the sourness is slightly tightening my throat, but not very bad. The fact that it's sweet and sour and so well balanced in that manner makes me keep wanting more of this one. Really enjoyable and the second best fruit beer I've had.

D: A little sweet to drink more than probably 15-20oz of this one in a night. I'd love to have this one with any dessert.

Overall the second best fruit beer I've had to the Belgian Red which to me is perfect. We were discussing this one tonight and it's so much better than almost every other fruit beer in the world. Stunningly good.

4.41/5  rDev +1.6%

A: BEAUTIFUL! Was the first thing that came out of my mouth. It's a bright cherry red, extremely clear and refreshingly bright.

S: Does not have an extremely strong smell. I can smell hints of a fruity smell as well as a small amount of floral.

T: Very unique beer. HAs a great sweet, raspberry taste along with a small beer taste with it. Not like any other "Fruity" beer I've had. Normally it has a strong taste of beer with a minor taste of fruit. This was sweet, clear, and tasty all the way through the entire drink.

M: Great mouthfeel. It's light, crisp, and clean and feels great the entire time.

O: OVerall, this is a delicious beer. It is a great beer to have as a dessert beer or during a hot summer's day. Good beer for people who claim not to be beer drinkers and prefer fruity drinks.

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

A really nice fruit beer, probably the best out there. Bright red pour with plenty of raspberry aroma. The initial taste is very tart but then it is just raspberry throughout. It seems like a mix between a wine and a beer. Very good! Another great beer from New Glarus.

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

Brought this beer back from a recent trip to Madison. Awesome beer to drink on a Sunday afternoon (when you're recovering from a hangover) or as an aspertif. Pours a dark red into my wine glass. Smells of tart raspberries. Taste is the same. Wished that I could taste a little more of the hops to balance it out, but it is still very tasty. Mouthfeel is light, making this a very drinkable ale.

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a deep ruby red with an inch of fluffy reddish white head. Not much clarity through the beer and not much visible carbonation.

S: Tons of raspberry goodness, this beer smells like a glass of Ocean Spray Raspberry juice (If there was such a thing).

T: Sweet then very tart, puckering raspberry flavor. The finish makes me salivate. Once the tartness settles there is a slight hint of oakiness.

M: Medium body with a frothy carbonation too it. Very tart finish.

D: Very enjoyable beer with a full flavor and a low ABV. It was had no problem finishing the bottle and would certainly have another glass if I had it available to me.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company