Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,344 | Reviews: 899
3.09/5  rDev -29.1%

Appearance is a nice light red color with pink head and some decent lacing. Very inviting looking. Smell is tons and tons of sweet raspberries and a little bit of mustiness. A little overpowering. Not that I don't like my beer overpowering, but I prefer some complexity, even in a fruit beer. Taste is pure mashed raspberry syrup on the tip of the tongue. It does have some faint mustiness and a lingering tart aspect to keep the sweetness in check, which makes me able to finish almost half the 750, but it's still a struggle. Mouthfeel is very nice and velvety though.

4.29/5  rDev -1.6%

L: beautiful purpley-rusty-red, two-finger, fluffy head that dissipates to thin lacing. S: juicy, tart raspberries, slight scent of biscuits. T: just like the nose - juicy, sweet, tart raspberries; jammy, but not overly cooked; a little biscuity; very much like a baked raspberry tart. Delicious, but a bit sweeter than I like.

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

750ml bottle poured into wine glass.

Beer pours a deep ruby garnet color with a nice bit of tan foamy head on top. It dissipates quickly and doesn't leave much lacing. The smell is raspberry jam/jelly/syrup. It smells like a raspberry pastry...more like a nice danish and less like a jelly donut, but it is definitely a raspberry and sweet bread mixture. It's a very unique smell that I haven't seen in a lot of beers. The taste is pure sweet raspberry with a touch of tartness on the finish. It's fairly sweet, but not in a sugary cloying way. The fruit definitely comes through very well here, and the beer gets much better as it warms. This a great fruit beer that really showcases the flavor of the fruit. The mouthfeel is great and is perfectly dry. I expected it to be syrupy on the finish, but it is very clean. It is a surprisingly slow sipper for the low ABV, but I don't mind taking my time with it.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from the bottle into a New Glarus flute. Thanks, Brady.

The pour isn't as red as one might expect - it's more the color of iced tea. Slightly off-white head billows up, but doesn't hang around for very long. I would like this to be more striking in color and to have better head retention.

Smell: Raspberries. Sweet, sour, ripe and unripe raspberries.

Taste: Raspberries. It's sweet on the front end, with just a hint of a tartness through the midpalate. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is good, adequate amount of carbonation, quite slick, long fruity finish. Light-medium body.

Drinkability is quite good. At just 4% abv, and without being super sweet, this one goes down pretty easy and quickly.

Good beer, perhaps only bested (in terms of American fruit beers) by Belgian red. Recommended.

3.69/5  rDev -15.4%

Deep red-raspberry color with a pink head that abruptly dissipates. It has an absolutely terrific raspberry aroma. It reminds me of a raspberry pastry. It's flavor is very sweet. Almost too sweet. Has only a slight tart, sour flavor to it. The mouthfeel gives a bit of pucker and tingling sensations. Has average drinkablitily, as the sweetness becomes too much.

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours reddish-amber with thin head and medium retention. Has a big, sourish, fruity-berry nose with some malt sweetness mixed in as well. Flavor-wise, the name fits very well. A berry explosion followed by a sharp, tart-sour tang. Very wine-like, leaves a pleasant tang on the back of the tongue as I drink.

Another awesome fruit beer from New Glarus, this one is world class and right behind the cherry. A must try.

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to ThomasHardy for the in-person swap at DLD.

From notes to self. Been curious to try this offering for some time.

Murky dark reddish brown. Fantastic aroma of what else? Raspberries, also some faint sour notes. Taste of sweet, but not overly sweet raspberry puree. Slightly tart finish. Boardering syrupy mouthfeel, with just enough carbonation. Very refreshing brew. Paired sublimely with homemade cheesecake after Mother's day dinner. Really glad I got to try this.

4.62/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared amongst new friends at an epic beer tasting!

A - pours a nice ruby red with a thick, tall white head. Great lacing on the glass with each sip.

S - one word - raspberry! There are some other underlying fruity smells...maybe plum, but raspberry rules here.

T - I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. It's similar to drinking a sparkling raspberry juice. No taste alcohol at all.

d -Great carbonation makes your mouth tingle with this one. I really enjoyed this beer. I would love to drink this on a warm, sunny day. With any luck, I will get another shot at it.

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Pours from a champagne bottle into a wide mouth glass. A pinkish red color with a medium pinkish white head. A tiny bit frothy in the head; good carbonation in this beer! The smell is clearly raspberry; the flavour as well. This taste slightly sweet and goes down well.

3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

Got this in a trade from Luke, my Wisconsin pipeline. Thanks Luke! This was definitely a great "dessert beer," much more worthy than the Subway sandwich that preceded it. Let's get down to brass tacks, though...

This beer pours a dark reddish color, low turbidity - it looks like a very very concentrated glass of cranberry juice - the pink head rises to one finger, but quickly dissipates to low surface dwelling foam.

Smell is faint, but definitely noticeable - raspberries, obviously, but also some mild hops and a touch of something grassy, like a saison maybe.

Like I said, this beer is just plain dessert - think playing croquet on a hot day with some respectable company who would rather drink Bartles and James than Pliny the Elder. This beer is a great introduction to quality craft brew for the non-adventurous, hops paranoid, buttoned-down crowd. Initially very tame, but then the raspberry taste hits you - much more complex than I would have thought.

Mouthfeel is very very tart, and this beer definitely coats the tongue. This would be a great one for a summer day when there's not too much going on.

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

From notes - fruit beer tasting on 4/7/2012.

Ruby red, just enough carbonation for a light lacing. Lacing fades quickly, looks almost uncarbonated. A gemstone in a glass.

Pure raspberries on the nose!

Again, raspberries. A very slight amount of bitterness, but no hop taste. Not too sweet, and not syrupy at all. Really nothing else to say - it’s a fantastic raspberry beer.

Much more carbonated than it looks, bubbly like champagne. Very light and refreshing.

An excellent light raspberry brew. Received in a trade with Willspeh - I will be asking for more, buddy.

A - As the geniuses behind New Glarus states on the glass... Pour in a flute and enjoy the sparkle. I think for New Years instead of popping champagne I'll pop open this beauty. Pink/ Red color with lingering off-white head.
S - Fantastic, fruity, fizzy berry aroma.
M - Perfectly carbonated but does not overwhelm sinuses with bubbles. Oak adds a silky component that is often imitated in framboises, geuzes, flanders, but this brew has it perfected.
T - Liquid perfection, the appearance and smell come through with a sip or a gulp.
O - Usually buy as many as I can when the opportunity presents itself. Also, New Glarus may be the best run business/brewery on their scale... even though they are in the land of Packer nation... everything from their outside area, copper kettles, sanitation. A place for other breweries to learn from for sure.

3.77/5  rDev -13.5%

750 ml bottle which was brought back to me by UHRHAN on his Wisco / Minnesota brewery tour.

A - Very dark red with little to no head.

S - Lots of raspberries. You get nothing else, but in your face raspberries. Great smell.

T & M - Carbonated similar to a champagne. Light bodied. Full of raspberry flavor. Wouldn't even describe this as a beer - definitely a framboise.

Overall - You know, it is what it is. If you are looking for a raspberry type wheat beer, this isn't it. It's definitely similar to a framboise with lots of carbonation. This is a great beer to share, similar to a bottle of champagne - great dessert treat or one to drink with others while enjoying some cheese and crackers - hell, it is from Wisconsin after all. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but it's not because I disliked it, just not my favorite style of beer.

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks to Cooperrip for sharing this bottle with me.
Poured into non-descript brandy snifter.
Poured a hazy, bloodied-raspberry purple. Minimal pinkish head with some slight lacing .
Aroma of fresh raspberry puree. Quite sweet on the nose. Reminded me of a Flintstone raspberry sherbet push-up from when I was a kid. Man I love those things.
Taste of fresh raspberry puree. Quite sweet on the tongue with some tartness for a decent balance.
Really, it's a medium carbonated raspberry puree in a bottle.
No hops, no malt. Just raspberries. Medium mouthfeel, and a bit cloying. Quite tasty, but I don't think I'd be able to drink an entire bottle myself.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to my friend Rob for shipping this to me.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A: Vigorous pour yields almost no head. Color is gorgeous garnet ruby red. Lacing is some of the best I have seen on any beer bar none.

S: Smells of tart raspberries, and oddly enough tobacco as this one warms. Pipe tobacco that is. It makes me want to drink it.

T: Taste is obviously of raspberries, and very much like the fruit but more tart and more sweet. The sourness is really good and I am enjoying it throughout until I get to the end of a roughly 10oz pour. At that point the sourness is slightly tightening my throat, but not very bad. The fact that it's sweet and sour and so well balanced in that manner makes me keep wanting more of this one. Really enjoyable and the second best fruit beer I've had.

D: A little sweet to drink more than probably 15-20oz of this one in a night. I'd love to have this one with any dessert.

Overall the second best fruit beer I've had to the Belgian Red which to me is perfect. We were discussing this one tonight and it's so much better than almost every other fruit beer in the world. Stunningly good.

4.41/5  rDev +1.1%

A: BEAUTIFUL! Was the first thing that came out of my mouth. It's a bright cherry red, extremely clear and refreshingly bright.

S: Does not have an extremely strong smell. I can smell hints of a fruity smell as well as a small amount of floral.

T: Very unique beer. HAs a great sweet, raspberry taste along with a small beer taste with it. Not like any other "Fruity" beer I've had. Normally it has a strong taste of beer with a minor taste of fruit. This was sweet, clear, and tasty all the way through the entire drink.

M: Great mouthfeel. It's light, crisp, and clean and feels great the entire time.

O: OVerall, this is a delicious beer. It is a great beer to have as a dessert beer or during a hot summer's day. Good beer for people who claim not to be beer drinkers and prefer fruity drinks.

4.24/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a wine glass. A healthy head develops atop a rose colored brew. Scent of berries is pleasant, not overpowering. Tastes to me exactly like whole wheat toast with butter and raspberry jam; not the "tart" I was expecting but I can't say I was disappointed by that. Medium bodied and smooth. I could drink this all night.

3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

A really nice fruit beer, probably the best out there. Bright red pour with plenty of raspberry aroma. The initial taste is very tart but then it is just raspberry throughout. It seems like a mix between a wine and a beer. Very good! Another great beer from New Glarus.

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%

Brought this beer back from a recent trip to Madison. Awesome beer to drink on a Sunday afternoon (when you're recovering from a hangover) or as an aspertif. Pours a dark red into my wine glass. Smells of tart raspberries. Taste is the same. Wished that I could taste a little more of the hops to balance it out, but it is still very tasty. Mouthfeel is light, making this a very drinkable ale.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Pours a deep ruby red with an inch of fluffy reddish white head. Not much clarity through the beer and not much visible carbonation.

S: Tons of raspberry goodness, this beer smells like a glass of Ocean Spray Raspberry juice (If there was such a thing).

T: Sweet then very tart, puckering raspberry flavor. The finish makes me salivate. Once the tartness settles there is a slight hint of oakiness.

M: Medium body with a frothy carbonation too it. Very tart finish.

D: Very enjoyable beer with a full flavor and a low ABV. It was had no problem finishing the bottle and would certainly have another glass if I had it available to me.

3.84/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a murky, very opaque beet red with no head. Looks like vegetable juice of some sort...

Smell: 100% fresh, tart raspberries. Nice.

Taste: The name says it all. Big time fresh raspberry flavor that is more tart than it is sweet, which I like. It really doesn't taste like beer at all. I don't think there is anything else to pick up in the way of flavor... It's like getting punched in the mouth by a bunch of fresh raspberries!

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy and the sweetness/tartness is a bit much at times. Very sour aftertaste that leaves the mouth very dry and kinda sticky.

Drinkability: Hard to drink more than a sip at a time. Too thick, sweet and tart to drink more quickly, but I don't think this beer was intended to be more than a sipper.

Nice dessert beer. You might want to find someone to share a bottle with, it is a bit too sweet and tart for me to take down a whole bottle. If you live in the area, it's worth picking up.

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a very cloudy red ruby with a pink, quickly dissapearing head. It looks like a weiss head got stained on its way being poured through all the raspberries that my nose is telling me this is chock full of. Raspberry first, with a sour note among strawberries. Bit o' yeast. Remarkable flavor - thick on the raspberries as one might expect, but in no way one-note. The inital cranberry taste threw me off a touch but blends into cooked raspberries, as if baked into a pie (or tart, duh), followed by fresh picked berries surrounded by a tart flemish red quality and cherries. The sourness practically curls back up the tongue with the help of light carbonation after working its way to my throat, leaving the taste of raspberry seeds to linger. The mouthfeel is full bodied and syrupy intially but fades of the tongue quite quickly. I'd describe it as dry if the sweetness weren't keeping my tongue feeling pleasantly coated. As to drinkability, its not something i could drink every day but would be thrilled to have this available to me locally. A fantastic dessert beer and something I'd love to serve to friends who aren't into beer. Huge thanks to mully for the bottle, wish I hadn't gotten ahead of myself and downed the Belgian Red already, want to review it in light of this one. Both phenomenal.

4.94/5  rDev +13.3%

A - Deep, rich red that fades to a brighter hue at the corners of the glass. Thin white cap fades to just a rim in the glass.

S - The most fruit-forward smelling beer I've ever had(along with it's twin). Rich, sweet raspberry glory. Obviously not like the soured fruit you get in a lambic. It's all backed by an amazing wheat/malted barley combo that creates a pie crust smell. If any review needed a scratch and sniff, this is it. Incredible.

T - Follows the nose to a tee, but with much greater complexity. Tons of juicy raspberry upfront, then the sweet malts come into play, followed by tart and acidic flavors on the back of the tongue and throat. I think it's a combination from the fermented fruit itself and from the oak. From the sheer richness, it's amazing that this isn't the least bit cloying.

MF - Lighter-bodied, but it's surprisingly full. Carbonation comes in more towards the end, but it still coats the mouth.

D - Very easy to drink, but it's also incredibly rich for a 4% beer. I realize a lot of people would prefer a beer like this on a special occasion, but I would drink this on a very regular basis if I could. The balance between sweet and tart is spot on. My favorite fruit beer.

1.83/5  rDev -58%

The beer is overly sweet with almost the taste of raspberry extract. After swallowing you get almost a acidic burn from the sourness that is completely masked with so much sugar and raspberry syrup/extract taste. I dumped this beer out.

4.26/5  rDev -2.3%

bottle to a tulip

Pours a clear red body, and by red I mean excellent vibrant red. Has a fizzy white head that doesnt stay for the party. A slightly brown meniscus.

Smells like a berry wine with some plum character. Has a tartness even in the nose, and definitely smells of raspberries.

Tastes slightly tart with plenty of raspberries. Not a fake raspberry presence either. The mouthfeel is like the sparkling grape juice you get as a kid during Christmas time. Very light on the tongue. A great beer, however unbeer like it may seem.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company