Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 907 | Hads: 3,512
3.77/5  rDev -13.1%

750 ml bottle which was brought back to me by UHRHAN on his Wisco / Minnesota brewery tour.

A - Very dark red with little to no head.

S - Lots of raspberries. You get nothing else, but in your face raspberries. Great smell.

T & M - Carbonated similar to a champagne. Light bodied. Full of raspberry flavor. Wouldn't even describe this as a beer - definitely a framboise.

Overall - You know, it is what it is. If you are looking for a raspberry type wheat beer, this isn't it. It's definitely similar to a framboise with lots of carbonation. This is a great beer to share, similar to a bottle of champagne - great dessert treat or one to drink with others while enjoying some cheese and crackers - hell, it is from Wisconsin after all. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but it's not because I disliked it, just not my favorite style of beer.

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a wine glass. A healthy head develops atop a rose colored brew. Scent of berries is pleasant, not overpowering. Tastes to me exactly like whole wheat toast with butter and raspberry jam; not the "tart" I was expecting but I can't say I was disappointed by that. Medium bodied and smooth. I could drink this all night.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to Cooperrip for sharing this bottle with me.
Poured into non-descript brandy snifter.
Poured a hazy, bloodied-raspberry purple. Minimal pinkish head with some slight lacing .
Aroma of fresh raspberry puree. Quite sweet on the nose. Reminded me of a Flintstone raspberry sherbet push-up from when I was a kid. Man I love those things.
Taste of fresh raspberry puree. Quite sweet on the tongue with some tartness for a decent balance.
Really, it's a medium carbonated raspberry puree in a bottle.
No hops, no malt. Just raspberries. Medium mouthfeel, and a bit cloying. Quite tasty, but I don't think I'd be able to drink an entire bottle myself.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to my friend Rob for shipping this to me.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A: Vigorous pour yields almost no head. Color is gorgeous garnet ruby red. Lacing is some of the best I have seen on any beer bar none.

S: Smells of tart raspberries, and oddly enough tobacco as this one warms. Pipe tobacco that is. It makes me want to drink it.

T: Taste is obviously of raspberries, and very much like the fruit but more tart and more sweet. The sourness is really good and I am enjoying it throughout until I get to the end of a roughly 10oz pour. At that point the sourness is slightly tightening my throat, but not very bad. The fact that it's sweet and sour and so well balanced in that manner makes me keep wanting more of this one. Really enjoyable and the second best fruit beer I've had.

D: A little sweet to drink more than probably 15-20oz of this one in a night. I'd love to have this one with any dessert.

Overall the second best fruit beer I've had to the Belgian Red which to me is perfect. We were discussing this one tonight and it's so much better than almost every other fruit beer in the world. Stunningly good.

4.41/5  rDev +1.6%

A: BEAUTIFUL! Was the first thing that came out of my mouth. It's a bright cherry red, extremely clear and refreshingly bright.

S: Does not have an extremely strong smell. I can smell hints of a fruity smell as well as a small amount of floral.

T: Very unique beer. HAs a great sweet, raspberry taste along with a small beer taste with it. Not like any other "Fruity" beer I've had. Normally it has a strong taste of beer with a minor taste of fruit. This was sweet, clear, and tasty all the way through the entire drink.

M: Great mouthfeel. It's light, crisp, and clean and feels great the entire time.

O: OVerall, this is a delicious beer. It is a great beer to have as a dessert beer or during a hot summer's day. Good beer for people who claim not to be beer drinkers and prefer fruity drinks.

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

A really nice fruit beer, probably the best out there. Bright red pour with plenty of raspberry aroma. The initial taste is very tart but then it is just raspberry throughout. It seems like a mix between a wine and a beer. Very good! Another great beer from New Glarus.

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

Brought this beer back from a recent trip to Madison. Awesome beer to drink on a Sunday afternoon (when you're recovering from a hangover) or as an aspertif. Pours a dark red into my wine glass. Smells of tart raspberries. Taste is the same. Wished that I could taste a little more of the hops to balance it out, but it is still very tasty. Mouthfeel is light, making this a very drinkable ale.

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a deep ruby red with an inch of fluffy reddish white head. Not much clarity through the beer and not much visible carbonation.

S: Tons of raspberry goodness, this beer smells like a glass of Ocean Spray Raspberry juice (If there was such a thing).

T: Sweet then very tart, puckering raspberry flavor. The finish makes me salivate. Once the tartness settles there is a slight hint of oakiness.

M: Medium body with a frothy carbonation too it. Very tart finish.

D: Very enjoyable beer with a full flavor and a low ABV. It was had no problem finishing the bottle and would certainly have another glass if I had it available to me.

3.84/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a murky, very opaque beet red with no head. Looks like vegetable juice of some sort...

Smell: 100% fresh, tart raspberries. Nice.

Taste: The name says it all. Big time fresh raspberry flavor that is more tart than it is sweet, which I like. It really doesn't taste like beer at all. I don't think there is anything else to pick up in the way of flavor... It's like getting punched in the mouth by a bunch of fresh raspberries!

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy and the sweetness/tartness is a bit much at times. Very sour aftertaste that leaves the mouth very dry and kinda sticky.

Drinkability: Hard to drink more than a sip at a time. Too thick, sweet and tart to drink more quickly, but I don't think this beer was intended to be more than a sipper.

Nice dessert beer. You might want to find someone to share a bottle with, it is a bit too sweet and tart for me to take down a whole bottle. If you live in the area, it's worth picking up.

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a very cloudy red ruby with a pink, quickly dissapearing head. It looks like a weiss head got stained on its way being poured through all the raspberries that my nose is telling me this is chock full of. Raspberry first, with a sour note among strawberries. Bit o' yeast. Remarkable flavor - thick on the raspberries as one might expect, but in no way one-note. The inital cranberry taste threw me off a touch but blends into cooked raspberries, as if baked into a pie (or tart, duh), followed by fresh picked berries surrounded by a tart flemish red quality and cherries. The sourness practically curls back up the tongue with the help of light carbonation after working its way to my throat, leaving the taste of raspberry seeds to linger. The mouthfeel is full bodied and syrupy intially but fades of the tongue quite quickly. I'd describe it as dry if the sweetness weren't keeping my tongue feeling pleasantly coated. As to drinkability, its not something i could drink every day but would be thrilled to have this available to me locally. A fantastic dessert beer and something I'd love to serve to friends who aren't into beer. Huge thanks to mully for the bottle, wish I hadn't gotten ahead of myself and downed the Belgian Red already, want to review it in light of this one. Both phenomenal.

4.94/5  rDev +13.8%

A - Deep, rich red that fades to a brighter hue at the corners of the glass. Thin white cap fades to just a rim in the glass.

S - The most fruit-forward smelling beer I've ever had(along with it's twin). Rich, sweet raspberry glory. Obviously not like the soured fruit you get in a lambic. It's all backed by an amazing wheat/malted barley combo that creates a pie crust smell. If any review needed a scratch and sniff, this is it. Incredible.

T - Follows the nose to a tee, but with much greater complexity. Tons of juicy raspberry upfront, then the sweet malts come into play, followed by tart and acidic flavors on the back of the tongue and throat. I think it's a combination from the fermented fruit itself and from the oak. From the sheer richness, it's amazing that this isn't the least bit cloying.

MF - Lighter-bodied, but it's surprisingly full. Carbonation comes in more towards the end, but it still coats the mouth.

D - Very easy to drink, but it's also incredibly rich for a 4% beer. I realize a lot of people would prefer a beer like this on a special occasion, but I would drink this on a very regular basis if I could. The balance between sweet and tart is spot on. My favorite fruit beer.

4.26/5  rDev -1.8%

bottle to a tulip

Pours a clear red body, and by red I mean excellent vibrant red. Has a fizzy white head that doesnt stay for the party. A slightly brown meniscus.

Smells like a berry wine with some plum character. Has a tartness even in the nose, and definitely smells of raspberries.

Tastes slightly tart with plenty of raspberries. Not a fake raspberry presence either. The mouthfeel is like the sparkling grape juice you get as a kid during Christmas time. Very light on the tongue. A great beer, however unbeer like it may seem.

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a deep amber that looks like fruit juice. A fruit beer through and through. Smells like raspberries, looks like raspberries, and tastes like raspberries. A little tartness, but more sweet than tart.

Could use more tartness, but not bad. If you want an unsweetened lambic this beer is not for you. Pleasant dessert beer.

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to dhr for sending out this one. Shared with balberts after a long day, poured into wine glasses from the 750mL bottle at fridge temperature.

A: Cloudy and deep red. Slight pinkish head.

S: As one might expect, the smell is dominated by raspberries. Smells very sweet, not much sourness.

T: Wonderful and complex. Sourness that stays with you, tremendous amounts of raspberries. There is more to this than some other fruit beers, and I really like it.

M: A little thick, but pleasant otherwise.

D: Refreshing, goes down smooth and easy. Even with the sourness, I could reach for another one.

Happy I got the opportunity to try this one. I think I might try to get another bottle, if someone in WI is nice enough.

750ml bottle poured into a pint glass

A: A deep, dark red and pink color. Basically, what I think raspberries in a liquid form would be. Forms a lovely pink and white head that dissipates after a minute or two, but mingles on the top.

S: Very strong smell. I could smell this beer from feet away. Nothing but sweet, sweet raspberries. A couple more whiffs in and some tart raspberries start to emerge. Nice balance between sweet and tart in the smell.

T: Nothing unusual here; Raspberries! The sweet berries come in at first and makes me think this is one different kind of beer. On the swallow, the tart comes out and damn is it sour. Maybe its just me, but this beer made me pucker a few times. A few sips into this and I feared I was not going to enjoy... Nevertheless, I carried on and the more I drank, the more I enjoyed. I still believe it was a little over balance on the tart side (hence the name maybe?) but it was satisfying.

M: Good.Medium body with medium carbonation that fits this beer well.

D: You can drink this stuff in a hurry and enjoy it all the way. This being my first fruit beer, I didn't quite know what to think, but I do believe this is exactly what the brewery intended. If you like raspberries and beer, you should have no problem loving this.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours out an effervescent pink ruby colour, with a pretty nice and surprisingly long lasting pink head.

Aroma is knock your socks off raspberries. It’s like sticking your face in the berry bucket when you are picking. Even more so, I would say. I can’t stop smelling this, even though I really want to take a sip.

Taste follows the aroma perfectly. While the aroma is sweet smelling, the upfront taste is neither sweet nor tart, just flavourful raspberrries. Once mid-swig though, it start to kindly drop down to a tart finish. Not pucker your lips tart, just enough to remind you this isn’t pressed raspberries you are drinking. There is nothing else in the taste, it’s just raspberries, albeit, delicious raspberries. There is no real indication this is even beer, just carbonated tart raspberry juice.

Mouthfeel is nice, carbonated, and this stuff is surprisingly drinkable. I split this with one other person, but, I think I could have drank the entire 750 by myself if need be. Very good, highly recommended.

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

thanks to wethorseblanket for this fine beer
poured into tulip

Color: A deep crimson color. Hints of brown and violet around the edges.A white finger head form after the pour, but this beer leaves behind minimal lacing.

Nose: What else raspberries. A mellow oakiness lingers and with are hints of other read fruits and barnyard smells.

Palate: Excellent carbonation and mouth feel. This beer is very drinkable and tasty. The tongue gets hit with wave after wave of ripe raspberry. This beer has a nice tartness to it as well adding some lite complexity to the beer.

Finish: Crisp and light. The gentle sourness/tartness makes this beer very interesting and the raspberry textures are just wonderful.

Rating: 93 out of 100

4.64/5  rDev +6.9%

Like this one better than the Belgian Red both are exceptional brews but this one is less sweet and a little more pleasing for my personal preference. The nose is incredible raspberry and drink ability to match. This is another great beer to share with family at holiday dinners. Most can't believe it's a beer.. This is for those that say they don't like beer! Worth seeking out your efforts will be rewarded with a pleasant drinking experience!

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

A-Rich maroon body with a short head that drops quickly.

S-Juicy and slightly tart raspberries, maybe just a little malt hiding back there.

T-Loads of raspberries, a little acidic tart, and just a touch of biscuity malt.

M-Slick and sugary with a little fizzy carbonation.

D-Just lots and lots of raspberry. I hadn't had this beer in a while and I had forgotten how big the fruit gets. Very interesting and tasty beer, its a nice break from the usual.

3.51/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep amber ruby red, no hiding the fact they loaded fruit into this. Nose is a bit offputting, musty funk with a little raspberry but something seems off. Taste is thick, syrupy raspberry that is both overly sweet and artificial in nature. No real sourness for something with "tart" in the name. Very jammy but the sweetness surpasses cloying and takes away from what little I enjoyed about this one. Not as impressed as other reviews had lead me to believe I would be.
Side note: the wax on these bottles are terrible. Thin, sticky, and doesn't even make a seal totally defeating the purpose.

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

It was a good day the day I had this beer. Knuckles showed up at my house in Worcester with a car-load of amazing beer from all over the U.S. We drove down to Cape Cod, sat out on the deck, and sampled about 10 different beers. This was one of them.

Pours a deep cloudy purple-red. Nice bright purple highlights when held to the light. Pinkish head of tiny champagne bubbles.

Nose is strong raspberries (what a surprise!). Almost too strong, but entirely fresh and inviting. Bright and lively.

Whoa raspberries. The taste is an explosion of raspberries. Pure clear flavor. The first few sips make me want more, but not long after, this starts to get a little old. Now don't get me wrong. This is just a fantastic beer, but I couldn't see myself drinking a lot of this.

Overall a very well-crafted and delicious beer. I highly recommend trying it. Probably, though, this isn't a beer that you'll be drinking a lot of in one sitting.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Deep ruby red with pink head. Amazingly full, juicy, jammy, sweet raspberry wine-like drink. Not beer-like at all. Lots of sweetness and (yes) quite a bit of tartness, too. Drinkable enough to split a 750 with another person, but I don't think that I could drink more than one of these. A sipper.

One wonders how they get all of that sweetness in there without it fermenting out --- pasteurization?

4.02/5  rDev -7.4%

The pour is a ruddy red with very little head or lacing. Tons of raspberry in the nose; its just bursting from the glass.

There is some tartness in the taste that nicely balances the sweetness of the fruit. I couldn't have too much of this but splitting the bottle with a friend works nicely. If you're up for a fruit beer, this is one to try.

3.9/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Mrs. Marvin has a new favorite brew. We picked up two bombers of Raspberry Tart in Madison and were quite impressed. The brew pours a ruby-brown with a decided fruity note and a bit of a head. You can tell this is more than raspberry juice - there's a good beverage in the glass, not just fruit (and it's not syrupy).

This won't be for everyone but is definitely worth a try - it's a great representative of this style. Oddly, the second bomber seemed tarter than the first.

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Beautiful deep ruby red color with decent carbonation. A nice whitish/pink head retention that dissipates quickly.

S - Dominant smell is raspberry. A nice sweet/tart/fresh smell of raspberries. I really didn't smell any other notes. A very unique smell profile and I love how fresh and 'real' the raspberries smell in the nose.

T - The taste is like nothing else, completely unique and the raspberries completely shine through. It's a great beer to sip as the sweetness is balanced by the tartness of the raspberries. The closest I can compare would be raspberry champagne. It's a nice blend between a beer and a champagne.

M - Nice carbonation, clean, crisp, very refreshing, but also surprisingly thick

O - Excellent beer, very interesting, very unique. I like Belgian Red slightly more but this beer is always outstanding. I love to drink this beer and find it a very outstanding fruit and dessert beer and I appreciate the complexity and craftsmanship of it every time I drink it.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company