2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,250 | Reviews: 828 | Show All Ratings:
mixylplik3

Maine

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 4-pack of 12oz bottles when I visited New Glarus back in May. Shipped them back to NH along with a number of other beers. This is the first one I've cracked since returning.

A short time after eating a great meal on this lazy Sunday night I decided to relax and have a Raspberry Tart for dessert. It all started when I poured the heavy, cloudy, deep-hued red brew into my Goose Island tulip glass. I was presented with what looked like a glass of puree topped with small islands of quickly-dissipating head scattered around the surface.

The smell is of pure, fresh molten raspberries. Definitely a great dessert beer.

The taste is as though someone smashed you in the mouth with a baseball bat made of raspberries. The carbonation is very even with a moderate syrupy feel over the tongue- yes, this tastes like a glass of fruit. Awesome!

There is a tart kick to this brew which is gently evened out by the sweetness. The finish is a crisp, malty raspberry finish that doesn't linger too long.

Raspberry Tart is as enjoyable as it is hard to get. If you live in WI and are near New Glarus, I'm definitely jealous! I'm glad to have been able to experience this beer.

06-25-2007 01:25:54 | More by mixylplik3
wino47

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Raspberry aromas leap from the glass with the appearance being a deep red with a faint head on top. As expected it is full on raspberry but the crisp acidity in this makes it perfect for a warm weather brew that doesn't kill you with alcohol. As it warmed in the glass the sweetness came through a little more and became a little too much for me. I recommend drinking this one nice and cold so the bracing acidity makes it easy drinking and not overly sweet. This is not usually a style I go for but would buy this by the case if I was in Wisconsin as I could drink this stuff all day especially as the temperature climbs.

05-07-2011 15:39:49 | More by wino47
harrymattcody

South Carolina

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

From a bottle received in a trade.

It's almost like someone juiced raspberries and poured it into the glass. A small cap of foam that dissipates quickly and leaves no lace. But who cares! This is gorgeous beer. No surprises in the smell. Raspberries and even more raspberries. The taste is what shines. Dominated by raspberries but set apart by a slight oakiness that makes this brew more than a fruit juice. The moutheels is sticky and sweet, which make a whole 750ml seem a bit daunting, but I think I'll survive.

In contrast to what some may think, beer and fruit are a welcome combination. Even more so when it's done this well.

09-25-2011 14:20:00 | More by harrymattcody
SleepyDrunk

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a beautiful silky ruby color - has a wonderful cloudy mystique. It retains a beautiful white head and optimal lacing - take a while to settle down.

RASPBERRY!!! Wonderful smell that isn't too overpowering. Definitely not your standard nose, but unique and wonderful in its own right.

The sweet raspberry preserve taste lasts throughout the sip - very sweet. A little bit of the bitterness at the end from the Hallertau hops. Certainly in the desert beer category.

A crisp, dry beer that is well carbonated. Starts sweet and finishes with a little bitterness.

A very tasty beer - very well produced. It is very natural - I don't get the typical adjunct/artificial taste like some other fruit based beers. Hats off to New Glarus!

10-12-2013 02:11:06 | More by SleepyDrunk
supermanjace

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Mad props to my buddy Shaun for surprising me with a big bottle of this after his trip home to Wis-CAN-sin.

Pours a beautiful crimson color with a thin but prominent and remaining head. The nose is of dark fruit and so much raspberry. Really impressive, it is obvious this is the real thing. Any doubt of the real fruit will be cured by the collection of pulp at bottom of your glass.

Each sip is bursting with tart raspberry flavor. It reminds me of Lindeman's Framboise Lambic, but better. It tastes has a sharper edge and a tang to it, with the lack of cloying sweetness.

The low ABV makes it very quickly drinkable and refresing. I could never drink more than one of these at a sitting as it feels like a dessert; sorbet in a glass, but the one is plenty to taste its tremendous quality.

I have made fruit beer before, to much disappointment. I know firsthand what a terrific achievement this is for fruit beer. if you like a fruit beer, you can nary do better.

Now, if I ever get my spotted squirrel to taste...

07-28-2008 03:21:15 | More by supermanjace
MysterySwirl

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

I opened this up along with the Belgian Red with my wife for Christmas Eve. She likes fruity beers so we agreed to have both.

There's a reddish pink and brown body when I poured this beer into two glasses for both of us.

This beer definitely emphasizes raspberries and smells so sweet. There's a sour presence and dare I say, some funk in this? It's not too sour - there's some sweetness too, like a pureed respberries were mixed into the beer. It's a little bit too tart, but the sweetness keeps it from making you grimace!

While this is good, we both preferred the Belgian Red.

12-25-2009 00:27:09 | More by MysterySwirl
kunstdrache

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Ok, after years of bootlegging bottles of this from Wisconsin I finally decided after my most recent trip that I need to do justice to this beer and write a review.

Poured into a tulip and enjoyed lakeside on Fairview Lake in NJ. This beer has both great head and appearance which is essentially a shade of maroon reflecting very finely the fact that it is a raspberry based beer.

Smell is just amazing, almost like a basket of fresh ripe raspberries, with a bit of a sweet tart curveball thrown in.

Once you drink it, you can taste the raspberries and a bit of a sweet tarty punch which makes this a lovely beer. In fact- there is a nice balance between the sweetness and tartness which compliments each other very very well. Additionally, you expect some bitter hops or malty barley to pop up and mess up this smooth beer, bit it doesn't come... and that is what sets this beer apart from other fruit beers. It's all about the raspberries. This is a wonderful beer that is the perfect dessert beer or the beer to enjoy on a nice cool summer night by the water.
New Glarus was able to balance this beer so finely without making it a juicy mess or an average beer with raspberry syrup thrown in and for this I congratulate them.

Plus, this is actually the only beer my wife will ever drink- glad I got several bottles.

07-22-2010 01:04:05 | More by kunstdrache
Chibeerguy1

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Deep Red raspberry color (to be expected) with a one finger white head.

S - Fresh raspberries, a little acidity

T - Now this is actually a fruit beer I can drink, not too sweet, but a very natural raspberry sweetness and flavor. not mouth-puckeringly sour (which I like) but sour enough to make me enjoy something more than just the raspberry flavor.

M - Crisp and tart, almost slightly champagne-y

I typically find almost all fruit beer to be syrupy sweet. I still only had a small glass of this, as i prefer bitter to sweet, b

Since the wife likes Frambois and many other fruit beers, I have gone out of my way to try to find beer she can appreciate as much as I do. So, we took a trip up to WI to pick up some NG stuff for both of us. Well worth the quick trip from Chicago. Lived up to the hype

08-14-2013 23:20:45 | More by Chibeerguy1
SeanBond

I had this one years back, when I visited the New Glarus Brewery. Unfortunately, back then I wasn't that big into craft beer (or beer itself), so I didn't know what I was drinking. Even so, I knew that this was good stuff. Recently I've been much more diligent in drinking everything that NG puts out, so I was anxious to give this one a shot again, as it was my intro to New Glarus. I wasn't disappointed.

I'm gonna keep this one short and sweet. If you liked Serendipity or Strawberry Rhubarb, you'll love this. As the name describes, this is a very raspberry taste, with lots of sweetness and a deliciously tart finish. Has just enough carbonation to give it an effervescent feel; just awesome.

01-06-2014 14:38:47 | More by SeanBond
cubsfan2004

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Poured from a 750ml. A deep crimson with good lacing.

S - Smell of tart raspberries.

T - A wonderful blend of sweet and tart. Raspberry flavor dominates.

M - Smooth and medium bodied. Well carbonated.

D - A very easy drinker, however, the sweetness would probably be too much after a couple of pints.

Overall, a very fine brew but more of a dessert beer.

11-16-2008 00:24:19 | More by cubsfan2004
YeastWrangler88

Poured from a 28oz bottle into a sierra Nevada Tulip glass:

Appearance: Reddish brown, but a deep red, like a dark cherry.

Aroma: Tart red fruit aroma, cherries, apple skin and dark berries. fresh ripe raspberries deffinetly come to mind, but thats obvious I suppose. it's really amazing tho, it smells like I'm standing in a raspberry packaging plant.

Flavor: Smooth tartness up front, with some fruity sweetness and a little tiny bit of some some bread flavors (like flour). Again, it tastes like fresh raspberries and i just cant wrap my head around how they can possibly do this... amazing.

Mouthfeel: carbonation is high, but the maltiness hides some of if, so it tastes medium to almost full bodied, but not cloying.

Overall: This is about the 5th time that i've had the pleasure to enjoy a glass of Raspberry Tart. And quite frankly, the experience hasn't changed, it's an truly amazing beer, its perfectly balanced and one of the first world class beers i've ever had. It's fresh raspberry aroma and taste are insanely balanced and it's awesome to think that a beer can contain flavors like this. One of my favorite beers of all time. New Glarus knows how to do their fruit beers and they know how to do them well..

11-23-2012 02:22:36 | More by YeastWrangler88
lysistrata

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up as part of a trade at Dark Lord Day. Thanks Mike! To wit, this is fruit beer done correctly. Has a reddish head, tart raspberry smell and flavor, and some tangy hops to round it out. I cannot think of an ale that would appeal to non beer drinkers that I've come across. Wonderful!

05-04-2009 01:07:33 | More by lysistrata
traillme

4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

New Glarus - why do you torture us so? You create something so wonderful but then limit it only to Wisconsin.

The appearance, smell, and depth all are secondary to the exceptional flavor of this beer. The strong aroma and flavor of rasberry's is delightfully overwhelming.

07-23-2011 02:13:18 | More by traillme
scottwestphall

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Generally impressive beer. Well, if you enjoy fruit beers. Loved the appearance with its ruby red hue and nice foamy head. Smelled delicious and had tons of flavor!  The only knock for me was that it got pretty heavy after awhile due to the sweetness and tartness. I recommend this desert beer, but suggest you have someone else to share it with. Overall I liked this a lot better than the cherry ale New Glarus makes.

03-05-2012 01:08:55 | More by scottwestphall
heybrewtiful

Tart, fizzy, and a little bit sour. Like a jolly rancher in a glass. Too sweet for daily drinking, but makes a great dessert beer. Especially if you like your dessert first. Wish there was more bitter and less berry in this, but would still seek this out for a special occasion pour.

10-26-2012 19:48:48 | More by heybrewtiful
HoppyBen

3.75/5  rDev -14%

A gift from my girl, I saved this one for a relaxing afternoon. So came such an afternoon in August and I chilled my beer in the fridge. Upon opening the large pint plus sized bottle, I was bombarded with the smell of raspberries! And thus begins the review.

The appearance looks more like a deep red, almost burgundy, cider. The head is minimal and dissipates quickly leaving a light lacing of tiny, almost champagne quality bubbles where the brew meets the glass.

The smell is of course that of raspberries. It reeks of raspberries! It's lovely fruity aroma reminds me of raspberry preserves, though not as thick. This aluring aroma entices my sweet-tooth and prompts me to take a taste.

Attack of the sun ripened raspberries comes to mind. The flavor is a full-on assault of raspberry goodness. Every aspect of the flavor of a raspberry is there from its tart and tangy zing to its candy-like sweetness. And through it all, you can still register, mostly in the finish, the ale that this advertises itself to be. A tiny but of the bitters come through and mix with the standard berry tartness at the end to give this ale a dry, acidic finish.

The mouthfeel reminds me of that of a nice champagne, and in retrospect, the finish does as well though not as tannic. To expound upon this, the carbonation is constant and about the same as that of a cider. The dryness left at the end is very much the same as well.

This is an enjoyable, sweet beer. If I may say so, this would be the perfect end to a light summer meal served with some plain or walnut short-bread. Pair it with a salad or some crusty bread for a winning combo. I would definitely recommend this to friends and family though it would be a real hit with the younger crowd and many of the ladies.

08-11-2007 18:54:17 | More by HoppyBen
NuBrewm

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

Got a bottle of this at the brewery in New Glarus. Of course I got some cheese curds with the bottle! As soon as I tasted this it was no cheese just sip and enjoy this fine Lambic.

A- Looked thick with minimal carbonation. The purplish red threw me off for a second, but I quickly got over it.

S- The smell, the smell can we say Raspberries and a ton of them. The lady at the brewery said about a pound of raspberries per bottle.

T- very sweet, who needs dessert when you have this beer. no alcohol taste at all.

M- feels as thick as it looks, but cool and smooth

D- Perfect for after dinner but I could not drink more than one bottle. its a very sweet Lambic.

06-23-2008 04:05:43 | More by NuBrewm
Eggolas

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Poured this into champagne flutes last night for an extended evening of food and company. We began with cheese, moved onto brisket and finished with a sponge cake.

The New Glarus came with every step of the way and made everything better.

Appearance: Beautiful reddish color, somewhat cloudy. Small head in the flute. Great bubbly action.

Smell: Oooh. Raspberries! From the very first, you can't miss them. There isn't much of a smell of alcohol though, so one will not confuse the appearnace and smell with, say, a raspberry champagne cocktail.

Taste: Up front, more raspberry. But there is a balance and the finish is unmistakenly beer.

Mouthfeel: Clean, crisp and very easy to drink. Way too easy.

Overall: Outstanding with every food we had last night.

04-18-2011 16:05:32 | More by Eggolas
CaliHop82

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

This is an awesome beer and a great Raspberry flavor. The smell of this thing is huge. It smells like a bowl of fresh picked raspberries. Not sure how true but someone at the Brewery stated that the ratio amounts to 1 pound of raspberries per beer, The taste is just as awesome and perfect for dessert or simpling a refreshing beer when needed. I will definately be looking for this again and possibly having family send me more to the west Coast.

Both on tap and bottle were equally amazing.

11-14-2012 21:25:46 | More by CaliHop82
myersk27

Indiana

4.9/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

best fruit beer i've ever had. the raspberry flavor is powerful, but not overwhelming. Firm tartness. Light and crisp. Moderate/high carbonation and extremely light on the palate. The fruit flavor is the star of the show. Nice color as well, bright red.

06-04-2013 16:04:52 | More by myersk27
shuajw

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

thanks to objectivemonkey for this one

Great fruity tart raspberry smell right out of the bottle. Very little if any head when poured into a glass, mostly the kind of bubbles that you would see when pouring a fruit juice.

Very nice smooth and fruity flavor, barely tastes like a beer though it doesn't taste like a cider. Has a great drinkability and it took very little effort to make it through a 750ml bottle with the low ABV.

Looking forward to tasting the Wisconsin Belgian Red next.

03-10-2008 20:23:14 | More by shuajw
sablephish

Alaska

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

Drank this one near the new year, cold winter storm, inches of snow and a wood stove burning the background, yepper, It's alaska, and friggin cold...
Paired with a very special last bottle of 2006 AbYSS. Not blended, just sparate at the same time.

This pairing isnt totally true to the beer, but holy smokes . . . this is up there with oral sex! Liquid raspbeery love. Everything is so nice and clean, but walks the line between domesticated and crazy brett character. Perfect abuse of dumping raspberrys (fermented?) into the finished product. Poured deep opaque red, no sseing through this one. Pinky pink lace everlasting throuh the glass but weirdly random. . . super duper protein action (ver cool). Anyhow, as for the flavor, It's like drinking a fresh raspberry pir. Fresh being the operatinve word here.
Thanks you new glarus, you made Juneau Alaska just a little more tolerable tonight.

01-04-2009 09:59:13 | More by sablephish
BeerXKing

Aroma of fresh Raspberry and and ale, consisting mainly of sweet fruit and malt characters, surprisingly, not to sweet as the nose makes you think it will be.the fruit really shine in the aroma and in the mouthful.
the taste was not overly dry. Light bodied, not over carbonated, finishes was a little sweeter then tartness.

Overall a must try beer

01-25-2014 00:18:15 | More by BeerXKing
BarleyAndMe

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

On recommnedation from a friend at an IMperial Stout tasting, saying "it's better than I thought it was going to be," I decided to pick onne up since there's nothing much else available in town.

Appearance - A nice dark ruby red. Once finger head of a more pinkish color which quickly reduced to a little ring around the edge of glass. Some spotty lacing.

Smell - No surprise here, raspberries. Mostly sweet, but a nice balance of sour/tartness. I don't get much else, but my sense of smell isn't my strength.

Taste - Bold raspberries attacking your taste buds. A nice balance of tart with the sweetness. I was worried about a sickly sweet fruit beer - I was pleasantly surprised. Myabe some other faint tastes trying come through, but it wasn't much.

Mouthfeel - Good, but not great. Pretty well carbonated, more than I really care for, although maybe not so bad for this style of beer. Much of the sweetness disappears in the after taste leaving a more tart ending. Finshed dry, but the raspberries linger.

Drinkability - Quite quaffable. low abv. nicely balanced.

02-02-2009 02:17:34 | More by BarleyAndMe
beermike00

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Slightly cloudy, deep red/raspberry color. Small amount of white head.

S: RASPBERRY! ...with hints of strawberry.

T: Again, RASPBERRY! The name says it all, Raspberry Tart! A perfect fully flavored fruit beer. It's pretty intense with a very pleasant lingering aftertaste.

M: Very smooth medium bodied "fizz".

My wife and I actually prefer this to the New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red. I think it's probably the edgy tartness that does it for us. This is an amazing beer full of flavor, tartness, and sweetness.

12-30-2012 02:36:55 | More by beermike00