Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -7.6%

Trade score! Poured into a tulip. Excited as this is the first New Glarus that I am having to opportunity to try.

A-Pours a ruby red. White head that dissipates fairly quickly. Great color. Awesome to look at

S- Raspberrys. Soured raspberry. Not like a framboise though. It is very fruity. Usually this type of smell would drive me away from a beer like this, but it has me rather intrigued.

T- The raspberry's are obviously at the forefront, but they aren't overly sweet. The first sip kind of pushed me away, but the second has me coming back, and then again, and again, and I can't stop!

M-A dry tartness, hence the name, but I honestly was surprised. I expected much more sweetness from the name, sourness from the smell. It isn't overly sweet and definitely not sour.

O-I think this is an excellent fruit beer. Not my first choice of style, but this is excellent. I am glad I have had the opportunity to try it. If this was available all the time to me I don't think I would drink it as much. And for the first time I am glad that I have a botte for myself. I will seek this out again and next time share it with friends. And yes I now want to find more New Glarus.

4.23/5  rDev -3%

A bit of a gusher, poured from the bottle into a Tired Hands stem/wine glass, light brown color mixed with strawberry red, clear, and a large, foamy pink-white head; decent retention, soapy lacing, bubbles came back to life after a gentle swirling. Nose is bittersweet, bready caramel infused with fresh raspberries. Taste is similar, tart raspberries up front (oh, I get it now!), good balance of sweetness. Not straight up juice like a Lindemanns Framboise; there's a good bready malt base in there to remind you this is a beer, a touch of bubblegum, and a leafy finish. Chewy mouthfeel, medium body, medium to low carbonation, with a few little bubbly streams visible rising from the bottom. A very enjoyable beer overall.

3.75/5  rDev -14%

3.75/5  rDev -14%

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Been wanting to try this one for a long time. It didn't rest in my fridge long before I found an excuse to pop it open. It just so happened to be nice outside, and this seemed like a good "chilling on the balcony" beer.

A: Thick, deep, clear, ruby red pour with more than a few fingers of off-white head. The retention is really great as a quick shake of the liquids stirs up about a finger or so. The only detracting factor is the lack of lacing, but the color of the beer makes up for it. Bubbles race to the top of my Lost Abbey glass like their lives depend on it.

S: Tart raspberries (see what I did there?) really are the only thing that I can definitely say I smell. Hints of vinegar? Maybe. A little funk? Perhaps. Overall very sweet and fruity.

T: This beer tastes out of this world good. Definitely getting some hints of sour and funk, but really it's all about the tart and sweet raspberries. There isn't anything else, and doesn't need to be. New Glarus nailed this.

MF: The beer has a thick, syrupy body that still boasts a nice amount of carbonation. At 4% ABV, you might be able to drink this for a week straight and still feel fine. Perfect drinkability, great aftertaste, nice feel on the palate.

O: If you were looking for a beer for wine lovers to convert with, give them Raspberry Tart. If you want a great tasting beer with a low ABV, you can't go wrong here. If you want to treat yourself to a beer you won't soon forget, look no further. We have a winner.

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thankyou again to BDEE for this one.

Poured into my lindemans stange. Left a generous two finger eggshell colored heading,tremendous lacing left behind until the last drop not thick but nice and bubbly. Clear and mahogany in color with a rubish tint to it.

Smell amazingly enough is raspberries , raspberries and more raspberries. Excellent tartness with just an extremely fresh fruit aroma.

Taste reminds of pureed raspberry slush. Tartness fits right in after the initial raspberry blast along with a slight touch of sugary alcohol. Very subtle soft grains in the finish.

Mouth is medium bodied, tremendous bubbley,fizzy action on the tongue.

This sets the bar as to what a fruit and, or raspberry beer should taste like. My first beer from New Glarus and I am very impressed.

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip. Huge thanks to storminspank for this one.

A: Nice dark ruby red, with good clarity. One and a half finger slightly pink head with decent retention and lacing.

S: Slightly funky sour raspberries. Touches of sweetness.

T: Sweet raspberries upfront that moves to tart and then sour in the middle. Sweetness comes back in the finish, with a buttery flavor that is not unpleasant at all.

M: Light body. Medium carbonation. Crisp. Buttery slick.

O: A very delicious beer. Sweet, tart, funk, and sour blend nicely.

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured a glorious ruby red with a 1 finger tan head that goes quickly.

Smell is great, it is exactly what you would think it would be, Rasberry, sourness, sweetness.

Taste is unreal tons of rasberry, a good sourness or tartness I guess. That is about it not in a bad way the flavors are so big that is all you need!

Mouthfeel is sharp at first but becomes really sticky at the end.

Well I have had this before but being in WI you just never think about reviewing it because it is always around. It is always around because it is awesome. We here in WI are really blessed to access to the best fruit beers on the planet and they are avaliable all the time!

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%

A - Pours a opaque ruby with a touch of brown in it and a thin finger of pinkish bubbly head. The head fades down fairly quickly leaving behind a little head.

S - Aroma is full of lots of fresh sweet raspberries. There is a bit of tartness with a bit of sweet caramel as well.

T - Starts off with lots of sweet and tart raspberry flavor with a bit of sourness and a bit of other berries. Through the middle, a touch of caramel comes through with some more fresh fruit flavor. The finish is a mix of tart and lightly sour fresh raspberry with a hint of yeast.

M - Medium bodied with fairly mild carbonation. Very smooth with a tart and dry finish.

D - Very drinkable. The raspberry flavor is very fresh and rich and works so well in the beer. The strong tartness is excellent as well.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company