Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,011
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
twelvsies

Maine

3.23/5  rDev -25.9%

Awesome throw-in from a trade w/ raoulduke37. Split with friends last night after dinner. Pours a dark ruby red, really pretty color, little whispy pinkish head. Fizzy. Looks like soda, is all I can think of. Smell is unadulterated raspberry. So far so good, but while I dig the raspberry flavor, this is just too sweet for me. A tiny bit of tart in the finish, but I wouldn't venture to label this beer as sour at all. It's fruity, and sweet. Which if you're looking for, you're going to like this beer. Just not really my thing. A bit cloying and sugary. Wish it was a little more complex and wild tasting, a little more natural. Still and impressive brew. Big fan of New Glarus in general so I would still recommend this beer to others.

05-14-2009 14:18:08 | More by twelvsies
beachbum1975

4.03/5  rDev -7.6%

This is a super rare moment in my life... My WIFE and I are sharing and enjoying a beer. This NEVER happens, unless she forces me to drink one of her Busch Lights... This one's for you, babe!

Pour a gorgeous, clear raspberry with a 1 inch head with hangs around for some time. The head is a neat pinkish white.

Smells of freshy picked, sweet raspberries and light wheat.

Taste is the same. This is an amazingly fresh and tasty beer. Had to believe it's even beer! High carbonation on the mouthfeel. Light to medium bodied with medium to full berry flavor.

PS - Thanks go out to PaleAl for this trade at DLD!

05-05-2009 00:59:11 | More by beachbum1975
prototypic

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Raspberry Tart's a flat gorgeous beverage. It pours an interesting deep red color that almost looks a little purple. When held to light, it takes on a very nice scarlet look. A foamy pink head rests on the surface. It's over two fingers deep and recedes very slowly. Thick, sticky lacing clung to the glass. It doesn't exactly resemble beer, but it's damn impressive nonetheless.

The nose is a full-on berry blast and is impressive. If you're a raspberry fan (or a berry fan in general), you'll love the smell of this beer. I like them quite a bit and this works pretty well for me. It definitely smells sweet and tart. There's some ancillary grainy and earthy notes hanging in there. Other than that, I'm not picking up much at all. That's probably the intent here, but I'm a little disappointed in the breadth of aromatics. That being said, it does smell very good and is certainly inviting.

The flavor mimics the nose almost entirely. I don't know how many raspberries are put into making this beer, but the number must be extraordinary. Berry sweetness simply attacks the palate from beginning to end. The sweet flavor is countered to a large degree by a very accomplished tart flavor. I don't exactly know what the formula is for pulling that off, but it works like a charm. There's an interesting cocoa-like flavor at the secondary level that adds a little depth. I was expecting any chocolate malt presence, but it tastes like there is a little. Grain and earthy flavors are notable throughout. Those flavors and the malt give it a little beer-like character. I like that. But, for the most part, it's a mix of sweet and tart raspberry flavor throughout. I like it quite a bit, but I'm not loving it. It's just a little too one dimensional. But, it is pretty damn tasty despite that complaint.

Raspberry Tart has a more substantial body than expected and has a very creamy, lush feel. On the heavier side of medium is probably the most accurate place to put it. If this were full bodied, it'd be perfect. As it is, it's very smooth. Carbonation is light and only adds to its excellent feel. Drinkability is good, but it's a dessert beer that has its place. It's definitely not something I could drink at any given time.

Raspberry Tart's a very good beverage. I have a tough time calling it a beer simply because it's barely recognizable as such. That being said, it is a very tasty beverage that has a really nice sweet, tart berry flavor. There's a lot to like. But, I don't love it. It's too one dimensional and after a while the sweet/tart flavors almost become too much. I passed a little of the 750 to the wife and was happy to do so. I might have trouble tackling one alone. It is a very unique and worthwhile experience that's worth seeking out. Every BA should try this one at least once.

05-04-2009 02:02:54 | More by prototypic
lysistrata

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up as part of a trade at Dark Lord Day. Thanks Mike! To wit, this is fruit beer done correctly. Has a reddish head, tart raspberry smell and flavor, and some tangy hops to round it out. I cannot think of an ale that would appeal to non beer drinkers that I've come across. Wonderful!

05-04-2009 01:07:33 | More by lysistrata
mikecharley

3.78/5  rDev -13.3%

Thanks to emerge077 for this bottle via trade at DLD this year. Split with the wife.

Pours a dark dark ruby red. Small pinkish purple foam on the top of this one. As my wife said "Looks fruity!"

Smell of raspberry puree. Wonderful fresh raspberry smell, kinda like homemade jam.

Taste is Whoa! Raspberrys in your face! Kinda sourish, tartish yum. Not too sweet, just tart raspberries. The best way to describe it is thinking of what you would experience if you could cram an entire pound of fresh raspberries in your mouth at once, and bit down. Grand.

This is probably the first "fruit" beer that I actually enjoyed. I would seek this out again, but obviously not an everyday type of beer.

05-02-2009 18:14:02 | More by mikecharley
allengarvin

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer has a dark reddish-tinted body with a moderate head on top, tinted with a pleasant purple. The nose is delightfully raspberryish, tart, and very fresh smelling. To taste: this is fruit beer done right. Plenty of fresh raspberry flavor, but not sweet, certainly nowhere near cloying, like many American examples. There's a good malt background, and even a modest amount of hops that provide a great balance. Excellent!

Possibly the best fruit beer I've ever had.

05-01-2009 20:11:12 | More by allengarvin
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

Acquired via from fogdog courtesy of the 2009 Secret Bunny BIF, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 750ml wax-sealed bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright pinkish purple color, with a thin pink head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is all raspberries as you would expect and is very strong.

T: The taste is very tart and sour up front with the strong raspberry flavor. There's a little bit of sweetness that creeps in along with faint touches of wheat and hops. The malt character is thin on-target for this type of beer. The after-taste is sour.

M: Very crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty especially if you're into the raspberry flavor, goes down easily, not too filling, very mild kick, although I'm not a big lambic fan, this beer is right up there with the better lambics, sours and wine-like beers that I've had.

04-30-2009 02:28:01 | More by TheManiacalOne
swizzlenuts

3.9/5  rDev -10.6%

A Dark Ruby Red with a good cm head. Looks good.
S: It smells like I put my nose into some raspberry jam. It also has a slight tartness that comes through.
T: The beer is quite sweet with a huge mount of raspberry flavour. It also tastes like other berry are in there as well. A slight tartness finishes at the end.
M: Thick but a fair amount of carbonation
D: Too sweet to drink very many.

04-28-2009 22:24:04 | More by swizzlenuts
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle into red wine glass. Big thanks to STLWill for hooking me up with this fantastic beer!

Pours dark red, clear, with a thin, fizzy pink head that doesn't hang around too long.

Smell is just all raspberry. Really no other way to describe it. Like taking a bucket of eviscerated raspberries and using it for a helmet. Nicely tart and crisp.

Huge, vivid raspberry - beautiful blend of natural sweetness with a very crisp, acidic natural tartness. Finish is lingering raspberry acidity, almost like the most perfect raspberry soda you can imagine. Beautiful in every respect.

Mouthfeel is light and fizzy, crisp. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect, and perfect for what it is. A bit sticky as well.

Drinkability is very good, given that I easily drank almost a whole 750 by myself. That being said, the sweetness and acidity, while providing an amazing natural balance, are also a bit wearing on their own. It's a great beer, but not one I'd be in the mood for all the time.

04-24-2009 00:53:21 | More by JohnQVegas
cvfish

Louisiana

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - This beer poured a great ruby red color and produced a pink, fluffy head that had little retention and left some lace on the side of the glass

S - The only aroma that I get from this beer is the rasberry, not surprisingly enough, but what I dont get is the tartness I get from Lindmann's

T - Again, not surprising, the only thing I can taste is the rasberry on this beer, but what is great is the sweetness and tartness of the berry are balanced in this drink, very nicely done

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a thin body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This was a very drinkable dessert beer, and comparing to Lindmann's, there is no comparision, New Glarus is vastly superior

04-20-2009 01:29:00 | More by cvfish
Boto

Connecticut

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle: This one pours a murky browish-red color. Mine had a small fizzy head on it that went away almost immediately. No lacing. Nice nose. It is pretty much tart raspberry and not much else. There is a good body to it, but still a lighter mouthfeel. There is some effervescence in your mouth. The taste is mainly tart raspberries, but it is not overpowering. It is very unique. It is almost hard to classify this as a beer, but it is very good none the less. I would definitely buy this one again.

04-19-2009 19:37:48 | More by Boto
thirdeye11

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

Thanks to my friend Rob for shipping this to me.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A: Vigorous pour yields almost no head. Color is gorgeous garnet ruby red. Lacing is some of the best I have seen on any beer bar none.

S: Smells of tart raspberries, and oddly enough tobacco as this one warms. Pipe tobacco that is. It makes me want to drink it.

T: Taste is obviously of raspberries, and very much like the fruit but more tart and more sweet. The sourness is really good and I am enjoying it throughout until I get to the end of a roughly 10oz pour. At that point the sourness is slightly tightening my throat, but not very bad. The fact that it's sweet and sour and so well balanced in that manner makes me keep wanting more of this one. Really enjoyable and the second best fruit beer I've had.

D: A little sweet to drink more than probably 15-20oz of this one in a night. I'd love to have this one with any dessert.

Overall the second best fruit beer I've had to the Belgian Red which to me is perfect. We were discussing this one tonight and it's so much better than almost every other fruit beer in the world. Stunningly good.

04-10-2009 04:30:36 | More by thirdeye11
zeff80

Missouri

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured out a clear, very bubbly, deep red color with a small, pink, fizzy head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of sweet raspberries. That's about it, but it was a very good aroma.

T - It tasted very sweet and of great raspberry flavor. Really an amazing taste.

M - It was very crisp and fizzy with a slightly dry finish. A light bodied beer.

D - This is really rich and full of flavor. This truly is an amazing brew.

04-09-2009 01:52:37 | More by zeff80
BeenJammin

Kansas

3.65/5  rDev -16.3%

Deep red-raspberry color with a pink head that abruptly dissipates. It has an absolutely terrific raspberry aroma. It reminds me of a raspberry pastry. It's flavor is very sweet. Almost too sweet. Has only a slight tart, sour flavor to it. The mouthfeel gives a bit of pucker and tingling sensations. Has average drinkablitily, as the sweetness becomes too much.

04-06-2009 04:17:04 | More by BeenJammin
jjanega08

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

A= pours an actual raspberry red color with a tiny head that doesn't last a second before falling to a ring around the glass and leaving no lacing at all.
S= raspberry all the way. I really can't describe too much more.
T= really really true raspberry flavor. I feel like I can almost actually taste the seeds from the raspberries. Not the candy raspberry thing but a real raspberry taste.
M= high to medium carbonation.
D= The highest. I think this is the most drinkable beer I have ever had. I could literally drink this forever. Amazing beer all around. Not too much else to say about it. Not a fake lindeman's raspberry flavor but a real taste to it. Amazing.

03-31-2009 02:42:28 | More by jjanega08
WilliamD

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a flute glass. Reddish amber, with a thin head.
Strong aroma of sweet raspberries overpowers. Slightly sour aroma as well.
Deliciously sweet and puckering. I can only taste sweet raspberries, but that is definitely good enough.
Crisp, dry, and refreshing. Drinks like a champagne.
Despite it being quite sweet, I find the drinkability quite good. Like lemonade on a hot summer afternoon.

03-30-2009 02:48:16 | More by WilliamD
CoalCellar

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Chimay Goblet.

a: Pours a gorgeous purple with little to no head to speak of.

s: Rich, sour, raspberries. A trace of wheat, slight musty funk and fruit seeds.

t: sour raspberry candy. This is one sweet brew, but it finishes with a delicious tartness that makes your mouth pucker. This is truly like drinking your desert.

m: standard mouthfeel for a low alcohol ale.

d: This one is a sipper. I couldn't finish a bomber by myself, and had a hard time finishing a goblet as it is. This is such a sweet/tart elixer, a few sips and your tastebuds are exhausted.

-A rare treat worth seeking out, but don't plan on drinking it alone.

03-29-2009 23:23:46 | More by CoalCellar
Onslow

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

There are not many breweries in the entire world that make constantly amazing and well constructed brews, i mean, with New Glarus, it will always be something highly enjoyable..

Raspberry Tart goes over this rule, an amazing brew!

Pours a vibrant red with a man pink head, great lacing of course and exceptional strength of the foam ..

Smell is of light berry and fruit juice, subtle...

Pure wonderment in a bottle, bliss in glass, enjoyment at its core, just simply a joy to drink..
The sweetness and mouthfeel are so polite and refined, while still holding there ground, full and respectable, a beer! a good beer!!

sitting here on such a nice day with a beer of this caliber i now know what lottery winners do on their private islands..

Raspberry Tart!

thanks to John for getting me a bottle, i will need more..
at the very least to inject into my veins!!

03-28-2009 19:53:44 | More by Onslow
raoulduke37

4.03/5  rDev -7.6%

Got this in a trade from Luke, my Wisconsin pipeline. Thanks Luke! This was definitely a great "dessert beer," much more worthy than the Subway sandwich that preceded it. Let's get down to brass tacks, though...

This beer pours a dark reddish color, low turbidity - it looks like a very very concentrated glass of cranberry juice - the pink head rises to one finger, but quickly dissipates to low surface dwelling foam.

Smell is faint, but definitely noticeable - raspberries, obviously, but also some mild hops and a touch of something grassy, like a saison maybe.

Like I said, this beer is just plain dessert - think playing croquet on a hot day with some respectable company who would rather drink Bartles and James than Pliny the Elder. This beer is a great introduction to quality craft brew for the non-adventurous, hops paranoid, buttoned-down crowd. Initially very tame, but then the raspberry taste hits you - much more complex than I would have thought.

Mouthfeel is very very tart, and this beer definitely coats the tongue. This would be a great one for a summer day when there's not too much going on.

03-26-2009 04:05:04 | More by raoulduke37
drizzam

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm a huge fan of the beer style and do love a good Framboise. I can't believe this is my first foray into this particular brew...let's give it a go.

A - An aggressive pour yielded a foamy one finger thick pink head that dissipated quickly leaving little wisps of lacing. Clear ruby red color...very beautiful.

S - This isn't a real volatile brew...I have to strain more than I would have expected to get the scent of fresh raspberries. Definitely not an overpowering smell like I'm used to with a Framboise like Lindemans. It does smell fresh though.

T - Wow. Tart taste of freshly squeezed raspberries...like they squeezed it straight into my pint glass. This is almost mouth puckering...I like it!

M - Very tart. Crisp and smooth with a medium bodied mouthfeel. Finishes dry and clean.

D - This is a dessert beer that I could probably drink before, during and after the meal. It's a bit tart to make it a session brew but I could see giving it a try. If you like this beer style, you'll LOVE this beer.

03-25-2009 00:32:33 | More by drizzam
tmoneyba

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle trade from shigadeyo.

Poured raspbeery color with a small head that diminished quickly with minimal lacing. Heavy raspberry fruit aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture and lively carbonation. Strong tart raspberry flavor with a sweet finish of long duration.

My expectations where met.

03-24-2009 00:36:25 | More by tmoneyba
drgonzo3705

4.58/5  rDev +5%

A: Pours a cranberry juice red with a small whiteish head and some decent lacing.

S: Sweet raspberries fill the nose. Very sweet like a raspberry spumante. I wouldn't say over the top though.

T: Very sweet and tart. Nice flavor overall not too overwhelming.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation.

D: Pretty good but I could only drink so much in a session but it makes a nice sweet treat for after dinner.

03-16-2009 01:23:23 | More by drgonzo3705
PeprSprYoFace

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a very dark almost blood red that is pretty viscous looking. A thin head formed but dissipated. No lacing.

Smell is amazing. So much raspberry with a little tartness. It smells so tasty.

Taste is awesome. Like I am drinking desert and beer at the same time. So much raspberry flavor I dont know how they packed it in and did not ferment all the sugars out. Its like I am drinking whole raspberries. Better than drinking raspberry juice and it has beer in it. LOL

Mouthfeel could use a little more carbonation in my opinion.

So drinkable. I'm about to finish this bottle all by myself. I will trade for this one several times just because you got to keep something interesting around for the ladies that is different from the framboise that seems to be the craze among the ladies who know nothing about beer.

03-11-2009 06:39:05 | More by PeprSprYoFace
gmcfarre

Colorado

4.58/5  rDev +5%

750mL poured into Stemmed Pilsner glass
Purchased in June of 07, so let's hope its held up...

A - Pours a dark, deep ruby color with a decent 1/2 inch light pink head that fades in good time. Laces at high points when glass is tipped, but the lace falls quickly. Opaque.

S - As you might have guessed, strong tart raspberry dominates here. Its a delicious scent that seems "natural" as opposed to something like Lindemans Framboise. Just a hint of orangey citrus accompanies, perhaps from the use of wheat. Entices without overpowering.

T - Again, strong tart raspberry dominates, but never overpowers. Some citrus flavor adds a level of complexity to the tart raspberries. The Hallertau hops don't add much noticeable flavor. Tart at the finish.

M - High carbonation with a medium body that gets a bit syrupy near the finish. Very tart throughout.

D - Very low alcohol content means you can sip this one for a while and not regret it. Flavor stays true throughout the life of a glass. A great beer that whets my desire for the summer months.

Despite its low alcohol content, I'd say this beer can hold up with a year or two of cellaring. Whether the flavor gets any better is another question, but it does remain delicious.

03-10-2009 00:56:21 | More by gmcfarre
CaptainIPA

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

P: Presented in a 750 ml. bottle that's capped and sealed in burgundy wax. Label credits Oregon for sharing their harvest of mouth-watering berries. Appreciate it, Oregon!

A: Pours a dark raspberry red in color (almost beet-like), with active carbonation that produces a rimming of bubbly pink lace.

S: Nothing but raspberries, and lots of them.

T: Raspberry champagne with a mouth-puckeringly tart intensity that pulls your eyeballs back into their sockets. Yeah-Boy-EEE!!! Behind the walls of tart berry lie sweet suggestions of black cherry, cranberry, vanilla, and Belgian yeast -- with subtle traces of salt. Finishes exceptionally dry. As the label decrees: "Life's too short to wait for dessert." So wait no longer.

M: Tartness makes it super chewy as hell, yet bracingly crisp and velvety smooth. Gorgeous mouthfeel with sparkling effervescence.

D: Delicious. Refreshing. World class. Everything a Wisconsin framboise could hope to be. Enjoy.

03-05-2009 00:42:45 | More by CaptainIPA