Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,003
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
soupyman10

District of Columbia

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Oh man am I excited for this brew. Pours a deep maroon color with hints of brown, a three finger head of big bubbles that quickly dissolves to nothing...no lacing, no film, nothing...as a standard beer goes, not too great, but for what it is, it's appetizing as hell. Start with the smell: slightly sour raspberries, with some breadiness and wheat in there as well. Flavor is similar, and it's huge. Tons of raspberries, and tartness coming out as well. Starts off quite sweet on the front of the tongue, and then slowly shifts a more sour flavor. I'm going to echo what a few others said: the flavor isn't super complex, but if you're a fan of fruit beers (or raspberries in general), it's delicious. Body is fairly thin, and the carbonation is incredibly subtle, appearing only as a slight biting in the feel. It helps to round out the tartness, which flavor-wise, is also very subtle. This is really unique, and I am definitely a big fan, although I'm not sure how many I could have.

750 ml/$12.99/Wine Specialist

06-07-2008 23:22:56 | More by soupyman10
sholland119

4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

Note sure what was wrong with the bottle of this I reviewed in 6/08 but it was not like this at all. I am doing a whole new review on 11/21/09. Thanks to ffejherb for giving us a chance to try it again!

A-Clear raspberry color with a frothy pinkish tan head. No real lacing and the head does not retain well.

S-A full blast of raspberry juiciness. Sweet and tart, just like the fruit.

T-Tangy raspberry juice with a good balancing sweetness. The name says it all. Nice lingering pucker in the finish.

M-Crisp and dry with bright carbonation.

D-For a fruit beer, this is nicely drinkable. Quenching, crisp and flavorful but not cloying at all. Not the best fruit beer I have had (those are made by Selin's Grove Brewery in PA) but darn tasty.

HV

06-07-2008 00:31:58 | More by sholland119
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

What a beautiful beer! Pours dark ed with a really nice head. Massive raspberry in the nose with the fruit coming through loud and clear and some seediness giving some more tannic notes to the aroma. The taste is sweet/tart with laser-like raspberry fruit flavor and some sweet malt. Really amazing. Super creamy and smooth in the mouth, this is a joy to the drink. Although it is somewhat of a one-note wonder, that note is clean, pure, sustained, and brilliant.

06-06-2008 19:00:45 | More by Georgiabeer
younger35

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

A buddy sent me a bottle of this a couple months back when I was still in Boise. I unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to try it until now. This is my first offering from New Glarus but will be making a run to Wisconsin soon to stock up. Drank from my Stone India pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- Pours a thick and viscous reddish purple with a small and bubbly pink head that recedes fairly quickly. A splotchy purplish cap sits atop the beer with a fairly thick collar and quite a bit of random lacing.
Smell- Extremely potent raspberry puree like nose that overtakes the entire brew. At no point does this smell like a beer, just pure raspberry delight. Very very inviting.
Taste- Raspberries, raspberries, some raspberries and hints of raspberries to start. Not as tart and puckering as I was expecting from nose. I would assume the oak barrels are what keeps this thing so remarkably smooth and drinkable without being cloying or uncomfortably sour/tart. There is a gentle sweetness that shows more as the beer warms and allows the year old Hallertau to really shine (Kidding! No idea what Hallertau hops taste like, yet alone year old ones...).
Mouthfeel- Very rich and viscous with a ultra smooth almost velvety feel. Low carbonation but what is there is sharp and aggressive. Almost my favorite part of the beer.
Drinkability- As this beer warms it becomes quite a bit different. The girlfriend loved it cold and I preferred it a bit more as it warms. I honestly didn't know what to expect with this beer and what I got blew me away. For the most part it's really easy drinking and goes down smooth as silk. It can get a bit raspberry-e after a while but that is about the only negative.

05-27-2008 02:19:19 | More by younger35
gkatsoris

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Very rich, deep, murky burgandy red. No head at all, just some nice fizz.

S: Soured raspberries. A little funky.

T: Not as sour as I thought, but very nice. Actually very balanced between sweet and sour. Lots of raspberries! The flavor stays on the tongue for a really long time too; and it's all raspberries.

M: Fizzy and yummy. Very crisp. Another sipper - drink to enjoy.

D: As usual for a sour, one and done.

I dig it!!!

05-26-2008 02:44:44 | More by gkatsoris
Stoneman78

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Acquired in trade from pepsican. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance is a cloudy and dense raspberry red hue, moderate amount of rose colored head dissipates to a ring, very little lacing left on the glass

Aroma is sweet and tart raspberries along with a range of other berries and sweet fruits, definitely reminiscent of thick fruit jams or purees

Taste is unsurprisingly full of big sweet raspberries with any accompanying sugar tartness, tones of strawberries, fruit sorbet, and yeast peek through very slightly, this is just hands down an amazingly crafted fruit beer

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, texture is slick and smooth, carbonation is prickly and lively

Drinkability is moderate, very high on the sweet and tart factor that is hard to handle in large quantities, best enjoyed with friends in smaller sipping glasses or after dinner

05-24-2008 00:25:40 | More by Stoneman78
SQNfan

4.1/5  rDev -6%

Bottle (25 oz.): This poured bright red to purple in color with a bubbly head. The raspberry is strong in both the nose and palate with nice sweetness but is also quite fresh and tart. This is very refreshing and a great summertime brew if not the most complex.

05-17-2008 21:49:59 | More by SQNfan
SaCkErZ9

4.97/5  rDev +14%

For my 500th review (Woo Hoo!), I figured I would do something special. Thanks go out to nflmvp for this one.

Comes in a 1pint 9oz bottle with the cap dipped in red wax and oozing down the side of the bottle. The bottle literature proclaims this a "rare delight". We shall see.

Pours into a pint glass a murky cranberry color with a nice, fizzy, soda like head that is more of a strawberry color.

The bouquet on this is unbelievable. Tons and tons of raspberries. Possibly even some strawberry and sour cherry tossed into the mix. Basically, any red fruit, with the full emphasis on raspberry. I have never smelled something so pungent and tart and delicious.

The flavor is unbelievable as well. Perfrect amount of tartness from the raspberries with just the right amount of sweetness to balance things out.

I honestly could drink this all day every day and I would find it impossible for anyone not to like this. ABV is nonexistent. This is truly a beer to behold. Thanks again nflmvp and glad this was number 500!

05-14-2008 20:54:36 | More by SaCkErZ9
drunkmonk

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to ThomasHardy for the in-person swap at DLD.

From notes to self. Been curious to try this offering for some time.

Murky dark reddish brown. Fantastic aroma of what else? Raspberries, also some faint sour notes. Taste of sweet, but not overly sweet raspberry puree. Slightly tart finish. Boardering syrupy mouthfeel, with just enough carbonation. Very refreshing brew. Paired sublimely with homemade cheesecake after Mother's day dinner. Really glad I got to try this.

05-14-2008 15:31:29 | More by drunkmonk
seaoflament

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to tangfoot for sending me this beer in the Top 100 BIF. I think this must be the 4th bottle or so I've received and I'll finally have one all to myself. The other times I shared them with friends, family member, and people who say they "don't like beer" and everyone loved it, although they also seemed to prefer the Belgian Red a bit more. Every once in a while you get a beer that's just so tasty you want to share it, and this is one of those beers.

Poured into my Portsmouth tulip glass. The beer is a few shades darker than vermillion with an inch of blush colored head. The head quickly settles to a ring and a few scattered bubbles in the center.

The aroma is pure tart and sweet raspberry juice. There's also a bit of tangy wheat aromas. Wow, it's just like a raspberry fruit-roll up or raspberry jam.

Tastes is just like the aroma, raspberry tartness upfront and quickly followed by some sweetness. The wheat malt is also there but the raspberry flavors just overwhelm anything else this beer might include. The finish is pretty clean with just a bit of tanginess.

The mouth-feel is very soft and well carbonated, neither thin by the amount of carbonation nor syrupy from the amount of sweetness. Extremely easy to drink but it could get too sweet for some people. One of the best dessert beers out there.

05-05-2008 21:58:20 | More by seaoflament
cookin420

Maine

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Thank you VERY much bdrc.
Bottle into a flute.

Woah. Pours a very murky purplish color. Bottle conditioned leaving a thick yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle but it has flocced well and none makes it into the glass. Cloudiness from the fruit Good head with a more aggressive pour but none at all with a moderate pour. Minimal lacing.

Smells like a quality jam. These raspberries are top notch. Not much comes through the raspberry aroma but for some slightly sour, bready yeast.

Mother of God this shit is great. A tangy zing and a very, very faint earthy hop flavor balanced the sick amount of raspberry we're dealing with here. Woah.

Medium-high carbonation with a dry finish. This is exactly as thick as it should be.

Well, at 4% alc. and such a wonderful combination of taste and mouthfeel without being at all cloying or oversweet I think this is one of the most drinkable flavored brews I have ever had.

I have never been a fan of fruit beers but I had a feeling I would like this. The BA that I got this from said he has a case of it.
I wish I had a case of it.

05-05-2008 00:11:45 | More by cookin420
BeerZack

3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

Thick cloudy unfiltered cranberry juice color with pink foam that quickly settles to some small bubbles.

Intense raspberry, cranberry, cherry aroma thats sweet and tangy smelling.

This beer looks and smells like a raspberry vinaigrette, but it tastes more like cranberry juice and cherry wine. Very intense and concentrated fruit. This is pretty tart, but for how sweet it is I'm surprised it's rated so highly.

Mildly carbonated, tart acidity feels very juicy. Pretty drinkable if you don't mind the sweetness.

05-04-2008 18:35:56 | More by BeerZack
DrDogbeer

Poured form the wax sealed bottle into a Sam imperial glass. Intense magenta cloudy color. Definitely not a color I can say I have had in a beer ever. Smell- Rasberry!!! Rasberry mixed with chambord and more rasberry. Flavor is of a Rasberry slush puppy, just better! Completely different than anything I have had (and I have had the belgian red and loved it). great flavor, but I am glad I shared this one!

05-04-2008 01:56:37 | More by DrDogbeer
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Huge thanks to Lordsloth for the chance to try this unbelievable brew!!

Pours out a murky reddish plum color with a very small head into a champagne flute. The wife commented that it looked like melted raspberry sorbet.

Lovely aroma of pureed raspberries that also has a bit of a vinous quality. Searching for something else as it warms but I continue to get fresh sweet raspberries..

This brew is loaded with raspberries!!! It's very rich and has one of the most luxurious mouthfeels of any brew that I've ever had. This is just excellently crafted... It's very, very sweet but also extremely tart at the same time, just what I was expecting plus some. I keep getting waves upon waves of fresh raspberries with each sip... Just incredible...

Well, on a night when I just had the best IPA that I've ever tried (Alesmith IPA), I've now had the best fruit beer that I've ever had. And this ain't even close. My wife is begging me to acquire some more of this one and there's no doubt that I will. Kudos to New Glarus for an incredible brew that definitely lives up to the hype...

05-03-2008 02:44:10 | More by Tilley4
kkipple

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

Picked up a few of these in trades at Dark Lord Day 08. Have been jonesing for Raspberry T since I had a tiny sip months before - it blew my mind then and I knew I had to acquire some! It's good to finally crack one with friends....

Pours an absurdly thick, dense blood-orange red with a deep pink head that foams up and subsides to ring the edge of my glass. Leaves some spotty uneven lacing. Looks like liquid jam. Really.

Ok. This smells absolutely unreal. Fresh picked sour raspberries and rich, lush fruit sugar explode into my nose... I feel like I'm smelling raspberry concentrate. There's a hint of noble hop and a slight sour yeast note, but 90% of this is just variations on fruity sour raspberries and sugar. I cannot believe how succulent this smells. You really just have to experience it for yourself. Exceptional is the word here.

The raspberry assault continues on into my mouth; even the slightest sip knocks your senses for a loop with distilled berry flavor, all tarted up and sexy in a deep red dress... ugh, this is stupendous -- if you like raspberries. It's intense, and shockingly only 4%. There's an upfront sugar sweetness but it soon gives way into a lovely tart sourness that finishes with a lingering fresh berry aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is pretty darn perfect for this, a little thick and sticky with a spritzy carbonation level that reminds one of fizzy cider. Goes down easy and leaves a wonderful dry berry calling card. You can drink this one cool or let it warm, it's great either way.

New Glarus has an amazing fruit beer here - one of the best I've had and I've had a few. Raspberry Tart is simply world-class and you should try it. You'll cry when the bottle is empty, but it must be done!

05-01-2008 05:03:33 | More by kkipple
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to tayner for sending this tasty brew my way!

Pours a thick and cloudy purply rosy red with a light pink kriek lambic like head. Nose is fresh raspberry and sweet tart. Taste abounds in fresh red raspberries. Super sweet at first, and a very nice tart flavor on the finish. This feels like it should have seeds in it still. like raspberry sorbet! Mouthfeel is pretty much what you would expect, not too thin like alot of fruit beers tend to be. Great drinkability, but the sweetness prevents me from having more than a glass. A very very good concoction from New Glarus. Looking forward to trying more of their beers, especially the belgian red and the unplugged series. Fantastic fruit beer. I think I will break the other bottle out next time a have a lady in the house! Bow chicka bow wow!

05-01-2008 03:46:12 | More by AKBelgianBeast
tprokop7

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to dhr for sending out this one. Shared with balberts after a long day, poured into wine glasses from the 750mL bottle at fridge temperature.

A: Cloudy and deep red. Slight pinkish head.

S: As one might expect, the smell is dominated by raspberries. Smells very sweet, not much sourness.

T: Wonderful and complex. Sourness that stays with you, tremendous amounts of raspberries. There is more to this than some other fruit beers, and I really like it.

M: A little thick, but pleasant otherwise.

D: Refreshing, goes down smooth and easy. Even with the sourness, I could reach for another one.

Happy I got the opportunity to try this one. I think I might try to get another bottle, if someone in WI is nice enough.

05-01-2008 03:00:14 | More by tprokop7
IBUnit63

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to flyingbison for this Midwestern treasure. From 750 to Bristol Motor Speedway mug...

Deep raspberry red with thick, bready raspberry sherbet-colored head. Cloudy, frothy and nicely carbonated.

Strong aroma of fresh raspberry puree. Natural, perfumy creaminess with slight kick of yeast and carbonation.

Beautiful character of naturally fermented raspberries. Tasty, yeasty presence blends well to make this quite fulfilling. Extremely tangy with moderate carbonation - similar to a champagne-juice mix.

Feels like a creamy version of a sour raspberry soda - well-balanced with no aftertaste; bubbles create interesting zip on finish.

The ABV is quite manageable and this is awesome stuff. Surprisingly it's quite filling! Can imagine only 1 or 2 per sitting to enjoy and savor. Excellent!

04-28-2008 10:25:33 | More by IBUnit63
BoitSansSoif

France

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

I notice I'm not the first to try this delight thanks to Lucy Saunders. Tried this one tonight at a beer/cheese pairing at Madison's Fromagination with St. Pauline (Capri Cheeses). Lucy gave a great presentation, and although I did not find every pairing worked for me, it was very informative, and a lot of fun. She really knows her stuff, and the staff set up for a nice evening. The raspberry beer and cheese were both excellent, and many of the others in attendance liked the combination, but I felt the flavors of both overpowered each other instead of complementing.
A-Poured a deep hazy pinkish-red with a head that took on a lighter version of the same shade.
S-Fresh red raspberries, as if they were freshly-picked. I may have picked up some faint malt, but only because I know it's in there. The raspberries really dominate in a wonderfully natural way.
T-Refreshing red raspberries bring a perfect blend of sweet and tart. Although it is not very complex, the raspberry flavor is so good that I really couldn't care less if I find anything else or not, and it is very bold.
M-Terrific body w/slight carbonation that picks the back of the soft palate makes for a good, fresh, smooth drink. The carbonation goes well with the tart.
D-Delectable. It is clear that New Glarus only put in the best ingredients available.

04-25-2008 07:16:59 | More by BoitSansSoif
shivtim

Georgia

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

New Glarus really knows how to do these fruit beers. They should talk to Dogfishhead about how to improve Fort.
Anyway, pours out a dense purple and blood red color, with a small pink head. Nose is raspberry jam and malts. Taste is wonderful very sweet zesty wild raspberry pie, with dense honey flavors and almost a spicy zing to it. Malts come through, and it ends up almost like a mead. Mouthfeel is food. Drinkability is fantastic, it's like a sessionable sweet beer.

04-20-2008 16:51:37 | More by shivtim
joepais

Maine

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks go out to Ughsmash for this wonderful brew

The bottle poured into my flute glass produced a quickly dissipating purple head. The body was a murky dark burgundy red

Aromas of raspberry along with raspberry and did I mention raspberry

Flavors of raspberry not overly sweet or tart a nice balance the carbonation was enough to clean the tongue and keep it light and drinkable

It is a dessert brew for sure the drinkability should be taken as such .It is a great way to finish of a great meal.

If it was in smaller bottles and more available to me I would love to try cooking with this brew

04-19-2008 23:16:11 | More by joepais
PEBKAC

3.78/5  rDev -13.3%

Alright, so I put off this review long enough. Save it for a special occasion, save it for that perfect time, save it...

Dude, you don't even celebrate your own birthday. :sigh:

Strawberry foam, bubbles like a honey comb, the beer is the color & density of fruit preserves. Even as the head vanishes, the surface looks a bit uneven. It wobbles a little like half stiff Jello. I put the butter knife & English muffin away & get to work.

An intense shot of strawberry & raspberry Smuckers gurgles up the back of my sinuses. Actually it smells more like the poor man's Chambord, Chateau Monet. :P Seems just a little bit stronger then 4% should. There's a little stiffness on those full breaths I'm taking. Loads of sugar. You can just smell the Domino truck parked on the corner getting sticky in the hot afternoon sun.

Tart upfront with a slight bitter rind, a good amount of acidity, a strong spritz of carbonation, & a very mild grain finish. Almost like soda, but so much fuller. The sugar isn't overwhelming at any point, & isn't really the focus. It could of actually used a touch more sweetness, but maybe that's just what I'm in the mood for right now.

Served ice cold it is far less acidic then when it is warm. It gets a little too sharp with heat & slows my pace. Drastic differences in drinkability within fifteen degrees of separation. Loads of zesty bitterness & weight behind every sip. I breathe a little heavy after finishing off the bottle. :)

Thanks to both kmpitz2 & Pitmonkey for temporarily satisfying my gluttony. :)

04-18-2008 04:00:01 | More by PEBKAC
DIM

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

There isn't much to describe here. As advertised, this tatstes like a raspberry tart. It has the color of blended raspberries, and it pours with a thin, pink, fizzy, head. The fruit flavor tastes incredibly fresh and not in the least artificial. This is a very refreshing change of pace.

04-07-2008 10:29:38 | More by DIM
JDV

3.9/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottle courtesy of Iowaherkeye. Thanks!
Pours a rich dense and hazy blood red with a lasting pinkish hued head in a flute-like glass. Smell is strong sour raspberries and sugar, and somewhat jam like. Taste is intensely sweet and almost as tart in the mouth. Very fruity, and drinks more like a thick raspberry soda or alcopop than beer, but still has elements of malted grains behind the huge raspberry sweetness. Strong flavor, and syrupy, but the mild mouth puckering tartness helped balance it out enough for me to really enjoy a couple glasses. Still easily one of the sweetest beers I've had, but I tend not to mind that too much.

04-06-2008 18:08:00 | More by JDV
Overlord

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

After the phenomenal Belgain Red, I was pretty excited to try this brew.

Pours a murky, brownish red. Quite a bit of carbonation. Effervescent mouthfeel, not the prettiest beer.

The taste is overwhelmingly raspberry. If you're sharing the bottle, that's a good thing, but if you're drinking it by yourself, a bit overwhelming. It's a sweet beer, and the carbonation helps cut down on the overload, but it can be a bit much. The raspberry taste is pretty much overwhelming.

04-06-2008 10:15:58 | More by Overlord