Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
4.52/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to blackhawks87 for this one. 10/16/10 notes.

A: Almost clear dark red color with bubbly champagne like head. Little lacing. About right I'd say.

S: Raspberry to a T. Seriously smells as the name implies: a Raspberry themed baked good. Very sweet, wish maybe it had a bit more going on in terms of complexity but overall good.

T: Wow, tart raspberry with a sugary crust implied in there, sweet and bitter raspberry seeds. Cream and a bit of oak. Excellent tasting fruit beer, right on.

M: Champagne like, which is intended, yet still smooth.

D: Awesome fruit beer. couldn't drink a whole lot, but certainly would love to have this again.

3.63/5  rDev -16.7%

A -Deep dark reddish brown color with an average lasting pinkish whitish head. Lots of lacing.

S - Raspberry, oak, light sweet malt aroma.

F/M - Raspberry, sweet candy like fruit flavors. Sweet malts. Light tart and light funky flavors. Little oak and vanilla too. Low bitterness with a clean dry finish. Medium body with moderately high carbonation.

D - Very good. Sweet, tart, refreshing and full flavored. This is a well brewed beer.

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle into pint glass.

A: Voluminous, fine head with a pink tint. Settles quickly into almost nothing. Body is clear, and a distinctly brownish red.

S: Tart raspberry scent, just a bit of maltiness to it. Not much else on the nose, sadly. No bitterness at all--wouldn't be much point here.

T: Fantastic. The raspberry flavor dominates, but does not overwhelm. I wouldn't touch this if you hate fruit beers, or raspberries, but it's not overly sweet at all. The raspberry flavor rounds out into a distinctly beer-like taste in the end--a bit of caramel malt. No hops at all.

M: Not as fizzy as expected. Slightly sticky, syrupy mouthfeel.

D: Eminently high. This stuff is like candy for adults.

4.74/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks to BarrytheBear for this. Poured from 750ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep ruby red with a half finger of head.

Smell: Probably the best nose I've ever experienced on a fruit beer. Total raspberry bomb. Sweet raspberries, that;s pretty much it, but wow.

Taste: Tart, sweet raspberries. With name like Raspberry Tart, I'd be disappointed if it didn't taste like this. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and tart.

Drinkability: While I'm not a huge fan of overly sweet fruit beers, this one is a pure joy to drink. If I ever needed to convince a wine lover to drink beer, this would be the gateway beer. Need to trade for more.

3.6/5  rDev -17.4%

Bottle courtesy of Norm and Cam

A. Pours ruby red with golden edges.

S. Lots of raspberry sweetness - although it smells like real raspberries, not raspberry syrup.

T. Tart with lots of raspberry sweetness.

M. Medium body with medium level of carbonation.

D. I didn't enjoy this nearly as much as the two I split the bottle with. I was glad to try it, but I wouldn't be seeking it out again. My wife informed me that I will be seeking it out again for her, which is cool; I'm glad when she enjoys beers enough to have me seek them out.

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Picked this guy up randomly while shopping fer brews at the outset of the Man's Weekend. It pours a deep garnet/ruby/other miscellaneous red-colored gemstones topped by well over a finger of slightly pink-tinted light ecru foam. The nose is an explosion of sweetened raspberries, as though a bowl o' them berries had been sprinkled liberally with confectioner's sugar. Some blueberries may or not be in the bowl as well, and some cinnamon seems to have been added to the sweetening party, though in much less abundance. The taste follows pretty dern closely, but a nice tartness replaces the seemingly sugariness. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sticky, syrupy feel. Overall, a very nice bit o' fruity goodness, excessively drinkable and increasingly tart/complex (so to speak) as the tasting goes on.

3.75/5  rDev -14%

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this with me after getting it on our jaunt up to Wisconsin.

This beer as expected pours a nice ruby red color with the slightest of pink head on the surface that fades away rather swiftly. The smell is of tart raspberries (surprised? I know!). It may actually be my imagination, but I believe in the tail end i smell a buttery character. The combined smell is of a nice raspberry pie. The taste, well, I'm fairly certain I'm not drinking beer, but the label says that I am. The flavor obviously consists of raspberries, now the good thing about it is that it doesn't taste of the raspberry extract that many brewers use. It tastes of real raspberries and that is to its credit, you can definitely taste the difference. The mouthfeel is a little too syrupy for my liking, but it does carbonate well. The drinkability for me faded rather quickly. What started as something easy to drink got progressively harder, for it seemed the beer grew more sour on the palate. The caveat is that I'm not a fruit beer guy. If you are, go for it, this is a pretty good creation.

4.62/5  rDev +6%

750ml bottle poured into a sampling glass at the fall BA meetup.

It's a nice reddish runt color with a small but ruby hinted head that's very thick and creamy. Nose is raspberry and nice tart bitterness.

Taste is all raspberry and nice tart sweet fresh fruit, it's very delicious and sweet. One of the most drinkable and tasty fruit beers i've had. Mouthfeel is light and sharp and very drinkable.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Served as suggested. Poured from a chilled 750 ml. bottle into a Lindeman's flute glass...

A - Pours a nice raspberry red, dark ruby color with a slightly redish tinged 2 finger head that slowly recedes to a nice reddish lace. Carbonation is visible as well.

S - Raspberry blast!! Nice fresh raspberry notes. There is a nice sweetness from the fruits as well. There is the slightest malt background to this one as well.

T - Very fruity taste. Fresh raspberries and a nice malt bakbone that brings a fresh fruity flavor to the palate. Tart and sweet, this one keeps its flavor warmer as it does cold.

M - Nicely carbonated. Not syrupy at all. A nice smoothness to it really makes it feel nice on the palate.

D - Quite a drinkable beer. Not a surprise after having their Wisconsin Belgian Red. This is one that would be great with dessert or if you are looking for a nice refreshing beer.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap (Vintage, west side) & served in a tulip

A - Raspberry red with decent head & residual hazing on top. The carbonation is visible, as well.

S - Tart raspberries & sugar

T - Raspberries - extremely tart yet simultaneously sweet. This is a one-note beer, but it's one note is amazing. Just a bit of malt is evident, which complements the fresh fruit, but the raspberries dominate throughout.

M - Lively & fruity. No syrup here.

D - For what it is, drinkability is excellent.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks norm for this one!

Appearance- mahogany hues with a bit of head hanging around

Smell- very raspberry-y and sweet

Taste- smooth and sweet. The tartness of the raspberries hits hard as you drink more. A bit too sweet for my taste buds but still very very good

Mouthfeel- very well carbonated... Sweet and tasty

Drinkability- very Drinkable. Definitely something I could sit down and drink this all day!

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

And the last of my brews from LeviFunk, thanks!
A: a deep reddish brown, little bit of head up front, good amount of carbonation with hints of purple
S: fruit esters and malt
T: wonderful fruit flavor. slight, dry funk at the end. a tart and jacked up (flavor wise) cousin to belgian red. he fruitiness sings in this brew, and god is this a nice brew
M: light and solid
D: pretty high

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

750 mL bottle courtesy of Zimmerbloke. Thanks dude!

A- Dark ruby red with about an inch of pinkish head. Pretty good retention, with lots of bubble floating to the surface.

S- Very nice. Smells like a big bowl of fresh, juicy raspberry. Also, a slight spice note reminds me of raspberry iced tea.

T- Very fruity, with big raspberry taste and a touch of cracker-like malt to hold everything together. Reminds me of its brother, Wisconsin Belgian Red, but with a much more tart bite.

M- Very good carbonation and a light, silky mouthfeel.

D- Very high, this stuff goes down like water, but with much more flavor. Very refreshing. Perfect for a nice warm day outside or for following a nice meal paired with chocolate or by itself.

I'm so glad I was able to try this and Wisconsin Belgian Red, as they have really opened my eyes to the potential of fruit beers. Two truly spectacular brews from New Glarus.

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

750ml green bottle - Capped & wax sealed - Poured into my New Glarus champagne flute...

Pours a dark reddish orange, blood orange. A bit of haze but otherwise a reddish, juicy looking beer. Two fingers of white head with a touch of pink forms and recedes into a white haze hanging on top of the beer...

Smells initially very heavy of oak. Very sweet, berries smell fresh and delicious. Touches of vanilla and oh so slightly tart...smells delicious!

Sweet berry juice. Ludens cough drops. Candy. Not beer. But it is beer. I feel emasculated. But I'm not embarrassed. It's fucking good. What do you want me to do about it? Not drink it? Cause that's not gonna happen! Sweet from beginning to end. Touches of oak at the end give it a dry taste and feel, bits of vanilla give it some creaminess...I even think I am tasting some chocolate, maybe those little chocolates with raspberry puree filling. A touch of "tart" too, just like the smell...

Medium bodied and decently carbonated, does have a somewhat silky feel. Very sweet, tiny bit drying in the end...

I love this beer.

3.79/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from a bottle received in a trade from the very generous CooperEllis, right into my Bruery tulip.

Looks: the beer glistens in my glass, only slightly chill-hazed, reflecting beautiful hues of purplish crimson akin to cranberry juice. An ethereal group of grayish bubbles fizz up seconds after the pour but vanish just as quickly.

Smells: the nose is raspberry puree all the way, like a giant jar of fresh preserves of the berry. Maybe also some cranberries and grapes. A bit of balsamic vinegar shows itself more as the beer warms. Very sweet, lightly tart. There's not much else to it, but what else do you need?

Tastes: like liquified raspberries. A flavor like sparkling cran-ras cocktail leads until sugary, syrupy flavors wash in mid-palate. A mild tartness then arrives, gripping the sides of the tongue through the finish. When enjoyed colder, it exhibits a cola-like flavor that I dig.

Feels: syrupy. Subtly carbonated, medium-bodied.

Drinks: one-dimensionally. As displays of a particular fruit go in beer, it doesn't get much better than this one. However, I wish more of the beer was allowed to shine through. As it is, it's lacking in complexity and is just a tad sweet and for my tastes.

This is a really enjoyable fruit beer. The flavor is fresh raspberry, not syrup or sugar. Fresh. There is some tart flavor, which balances very well with sweet.

This beer is crisp, and clean. So easy drinking the bottle was gone leaving me smelling the glass after. Perfect for dessert, or just a beer to finish this day with.

4.62/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared amongst new friends at an epic beer tasting!

A - pours a nice ruby red with a thick, tall white head. Great lacing on the glass with each sip.

S - one word - raspberry! There are some other underlying fruity smells...maybe plum, but raspberry rules here.

T - I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. It's similar to drinking a sparkling raspberry juice. No taste alcohol at all.

d -Great carbonation makes your mouth tingle with this one. I really enjoyed this beer. I would love to drink this on a warm, sunny day. With any luck, I will get another shot at it.

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle served in Darkness snifter. Loved this the first time I had it, very excited to get my hands on another bottle. Thanks Meagan!

A: Pours a clear cranberry color, topped with a fluffy pink head. Body of the beer looks a lot like a red table wine. Head starts to dwindle quickly. Actually looks nearly identical to sparkling cranberry juice once the head has settled. As far as beer goes, this isn't particularly stunning from a visual standpoint.

S: Zesty, bright aroma. Sweet rasberry. Tart cranberry is pronounced. Just a faint hint of funk is hiding in the background. Maybe just a little apple juice, along with white grape. The aroma, while not very complex, is lovely.

T: Wonderfully sweet and juicy. This beer just bursts over the palate. Tremendous cran-ras flavor. Sweet and tart in near perfect balance. Very fresh. A little red grape near the back end. Smooth vanilla and a suggestion of funkiness. I even pick up faint glimpses of chocolate after some sips. Finishes up fairly clean, with a bit of tartness lingering.

M: Low carbonation. Small bubbles lend a creamy feel. Wheat provides a fuller body.

D: Abv-wise this is in session territory, but the flavors don't lend themselves to more than a couple servings. This is, however, as drinkable as any fruit beer out there.

This is a classic as far as I'm concerned. A beer that will please the uninitiated and the beer geek alike. It is quite versatile as well. It pairs well with salads, it's great with soft cheeses, and it goes nicely with many desserts...or as a dessert in itself. I would always have a couple of these on hand if New Glarus were available in PA.

4.89/5  rDev +12.2%

From a 750 mL bottle, my 3rd time having this,

A: Pours red with a moderate light tan head, some lace.

S: Decadent full raspberry fruit nose, outstanding.

T: As with the nose, an incredible real raspberry flavour, like the best dessert you've ever had, nothing more to say about it. Can't help but put a smile on my face.

M: Light-bodied, very mildly acidic, smooth.

D: As with the Wisconsin Belgian Red this is incredible fruit beer. I'm so glad I got to revisit it. I still like Belgian Red a tad more, I think that's because I'm more of a cherry fan than raspberries. But I still love raspberries, this was phenomenal.

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Had some of this last night at a tasting/catfish fry in my backyard, and it occurred to me that although I have had this beer a number of times, I had yet to review it. Poured a nice juicy purple color, with some pink foam on top. Huge aromas of fresh, tart raspberry. More freshly picked raspberry on the palate. Simply put, this is an amazing vehicle for showcasing the beauty and deliciousness of fresh raspberry.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Pours a blood-orange/red with a pretty light pink head.

S: Sweet aromas, almost like candy. Obvious raspberries and sugary.

T: The taste gives me kind of a snowcone-vibe but it is so delish. The raspberries taste fresh and pure - they taste real and not artificially flavored.

M: Smooth but has the right amount of carbonation. Very dessert-ish.

D: This beer goes down so easily. Wow. I could drink a lot of these. Would be best as a dessert/after dinner beer or substituting it for champagne at a special occasion.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

750ml waxed shared w/ a few buddies. Poured into coffee cup, believe it or not. From cell phone notes.

A- Pink, rosy ruby red actually. Little to no head, high carbonation and fizzy.

S- Like straight smashed berries. Incredibly fruity. Wow. One dimentional- but it's OK cause it's fan-fuckin-tastic.

T- Tart and sweet, slightly mouth-puckering berry goodness. I love love love raspberries, and this beer has them in spades. The antithesis to Dogfish Head's Fort (which I also love), this beer is a delivery system for the berries, with nothing to get in their way No other real flavors to speak of, slightly vinous, great berry flavor. Cannot be improved.

M- Slightly tart, light, high carbonation keeps it fizzy and fun.

D- I could drink a growler or two of this stuff. This is one of the tastiest beers I've ever had. I kind of have a hard-on for raspberries, so take that under consideration... but if they're your bag you can't really go wrong with this one. World-class.

4.62/5  rDev +6%

Bottle. Pours a magnificent reddish hued clear color with a nice pinkish head. The aroma is strong raspberry notes with a sweetness I have come to expect for the NG fruit beers. Slight tart as well. Nice balance of sweetness and tartness upon my first couple of sips. This beer is so good. This weekend I had Phoenix Kriek, NG Belgian Red, and this and I have to say this was my favorite of all 3. Light/Medium mouthfeel.

4.19/5  rDev -3.9%

In the Texas heat during August, I usually want something really light and something with fruity flavors. Thanks to my friend, Aaron, I had an opportunity to taste this gem. It's a welcome respite from all of the summer beers I've tasted in the past.

The appearance looked very dark for what it is, so it sure didn't look that light.The smell of this beer isn't as fragrant as I would thought a fruit beer would have, however smelling aroma from the beers isn't my forte.

The taste and mouthfeel of this beer is excellent. I certainly loved the taste of this beer because it isn't overly sweet like some of the other fruit beers I've tasted over the years. It's certainly not as sweet as Lindeman's Framboise.

Drinkability's great if you want something fruity without the excess sweetness.

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

750 ml poured into a generic chalice. Ruby red body. Thin off-white head. Sticky but not resinous lacing on the glass. Aroma of raspberries with some funky tartness. Very clean smell. Taste is sweet yet tart in perfect balance. Who couldn't love this beer served at the right time at the right place in the same way? I beg again, how can any one not love this beer? Pretty effing awesome. Thanks Jim, for sharing this treat.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company