Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,214 | Reviews: 875
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap (Vintage, west side) & served in a tulip

A - Raspberry red with decent head & residual hazing on top. The carbonation is visible, as well.

S - Tart raspberries & sugar

T - Raspberries - extremely tart yet simultaneously sweet. This is a one-note beer, but it's one note is amazing. Just a bit of malt is evident, which complements the fresh fruit, but the raspberries dominate throughout.

M - Lively & fruity. No syrup here.

D - For what it is, drinkability is excellent.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks norm for this one!

Appearance- mahogany hues with a bit of head hanging around

Smell- very raspberry-y and sweet

Taste- smooth and sweet. The tartness of the raspberries hits hard as you drink more. A bit too sweet for my taste buds but still very very good

Mouthfeel- very well carbonated... Sweet and tasty

Drinkability- very Drinkable. Definitely something I could sit down and drink this all day!

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

And the last of my brews from LeviFunk, thanks!
A: a deep reddish brown, little bit of head up front, good amount of carbonation with hints of purple
S: fruit esters and malt
T: wonderful fruit flavor. slight, dry funk at the end. a tart and jacked up (flavor wise) cousin to belgian red. he fruitiness sings in this brew, and god is this a nice brew
M: light and solid
D: pretty high

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

750 mL bottle courtesy of Zimmerbloke. Thanks dude!

A- Dark ruby red with about an inch of pinkish head. Pretty good retention, with lots of bubble floating to the surface.

S- Very nice. Smells like a big bowl of fresh, juicy raspberry. Also, a slight spice note reminds me of raspberry iced tea.

T- Very fruity, with big raspberry taste and a touch of cracker-like malt to hold everything together. Reminds me of its brother, Wisconsin Belgian Red, but with a much more tart bite.

M- Very good carbonation and a light, silky mouthfeel.

D- Very high, this stuff goes down like water, but with much more flavor. Very refreshing. Perfect for a nice warm day outside or for following a nice meal paired with chocolate or by itself.

I'm so glad I was able to try this and Wisconsin Belgian Red, as they have really opened my eyes to the potential of fruit beers. Two truly spectacular brews from New Glarus.

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

750ml green bottle - Capped & wax sealed - Poured into my New Glarus champagne flute...

Pours a dark reddish orange, blood orange. A bit of haze but otherwise a reddish, juicy looking beer. Two fingers of white head with a touch of pink forms and recedes into a white haze hanging on top of the beer...

Smells initially very heavy of oak. Very sweet, berries smell fresh and delicious. Touches of vanilla and oh so slightly tart...smells delicious!

Sweet berry juice. Ludens cough drops. Candy. Not beer. But it is beer. I feel emasculated. But I'm not embarrassed. It's fucking good. What do you want me to do about it? Not drink it? Cause that's not gonna happen! Sweet from beginning to end. Touches of oak at the end give it a dry taste and feel, bits of vanilla give it some creaminess...I even think I am tasting some chocolate, maybe those little chocolates with raspberry puree filling. A touch of "tart" too, just like the smell...

Medium bodied and decently carbonated, does have a somewhat silky feel. Very sweet, tiny bit drying in the end...

I love this beer.

3.79/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from a bottle received in a trade from the very generous CooperEllis, right into my Bruery tulip.

Looks: the beer glistens in my glass, only slightly chill-hazed, reflecting beautiful hues of purplish crimson akin to cranberry juice. An ethereal group of grayish bubbles fizz up seconds after the pour but vanish just as quickly.

Smells: the nose is raspberry puree all the way, like a giant jar of fresh preserves of the berry. Maybe also some cranberries and grapes. A bit of balsamic vinegar shows itself more as the beer warms. Very sweet, lightly tart. There's not much else to it, but what else do you need?

Tastes: like liquified raspberries. A flavor like sparkling cran-ras cocktail leads until sugary, syrupy flavors wash in mid-palate. A mild tartness then arrives, gripping the sides of the tongue through the finish. When enjoyed colder, it exhibits a cola-like flavor that I dig.

Feels: syrupy. Subtly carbonated, medium-bodied.

Drinks: one-dimensionally. As displays of a particular fruit go in beer, it doesn't get much better than this one. However, I wish more of the beer was allowed to shine through. As it is, it's lacking in complexity and is just a tad sweet and for my tastes.

This is a really enjoyable fruit beer. The flavor is fresh raspberry, not syrup or sugar. Fresh. There is some tart flavor, which balances very well with sweet.

This beer is crisp, and clean. So easy drinking the bottle was gone leaving me smelling the glass after. Perfect for dessert, or just a beer to finish this day with.

4.62/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared amongst new friends at an epic beer tasting!

A - pours a nice ruby red with a thick, tall white head. Great lacing on the glass with each sip.

S - one word - raspberry! There are some other underlying fruity smells...maybe plum, but raspberry rules here.

T - I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. It's similar to drinking a sparkling raspberry juice. No taste alcohol at all.

d -Great carbonation makes your mouth tingle with this one. I really enjoyed this beer. I would love to drink this on a warm, sunny day. With any luck, I will get another shot at it.

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle served in Darkness snifter. Loved this the first time I had it, very excited to get my hands on another bottle. Thanks Meagan!

A: Pours a clear cranberry color, topped with a fluffy pink head. Body of the beer looks a lot like a red table wine. Head starts to dwindle quickly. Actually looks nearly identical to sparkling cranberry juice once the head has settled. As far as beer goes, this isn't particularly stunning from a visual standpoint.

S: Zesty, bright aroma. Sweet rasberry. Tart cranberry is pronounced. Just a faint hint of funk is hiding in the background. Maybe just a little apple juice, along with white grape. The aroma, while not very complex, is lovely.

T: Wonderfully sweet and juicy. This beer just bursts over the palate. Tremendous cran-ras flavor. Sweet and tart in near perfect balance. Very fresh. A little red grape near the back end. Smooth vanilla and a suggestion of funkiness. I even pick up faint glimpses of chocolate after some sips. Finishes up fairly clean, with a bit of tartness lingering.

M: Low carbonation. Small bubbles lend a creamy feel. Wheat provides a fuller body.

D: Abv-wise this is in session territory, but the flavors don't lend themselves to more than a couple servings. This is, however, as drinkable as any fruit beer out there.

This is a classic as far as I'm concerned. A beer that will please the uninitiated and the beer geek alike. It is quite versatile as well. It pairs well with salads, it's great with soft cheeses, and it goes nicely with many desserts...or as a dessert in itself. I would always have a couple of these on hand if New Glarus were available in PA.

4.89/5  rDev +12.2%

From a 750 mL bottle, my 3rd time having this,

A: Pours red with a moderate light tan head, some lace.

S: Decadent full raspberry fruit nose, outstanding.

T: As with the nose, an incredible real raspberry flavour, like the best dessert you've ever had, nothing more to say about it. Can't help but put a smile on my face.

M: Light-bodied, very mildly acidic, smooth.

D: As with the Wisconsin Belgian Red this is incredible fruit beer. I'm so glad I got to revisit it. I still like Belgian Red a tad more, I think that's because I'm more of a cherry fan than raspberries. But I still love raspberries, this was phenomenal.

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Had some of this last night at a tasting/catfish fry in my backyard, and it occurred to me that although I have had this beer a number of times, I had yet to review it. Poured a nice juicy purple color, with some pink foam on top. Huge aromas of fresh, tart raspberry. More freshly picked raspberry on the palate. Simply put, this is an amazing vehicle for showcasing the beauty and deliciousness of fresh raspberry.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Pours a blood-orange/red with a pretty light pink head.

S: Sweet aromas, almost like candy. Obvious raspberries and sugary.

T: The taste gives me kind of a snowcone-vibe but it is so delish. The raspberries taste fresh and pure - they taste real and not artificially flavored.

M: Smooth but has the right amount of carbonation. Very dessert-ish.

D: This beer goes down so easily. Wow. I could drink a lot of these. Would be best as a dessert/after dinner beer or substituting it for champagne at a special occasion.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

750ml waxed shared w/ a few buddies. Poured into coffee cup, believe it or not. From cell phone notes.

A- Pink, rosy ruby red actually. Little to no head, high carbonation and fizzy.

S- Like straight smashed berries. Incredibly fruity. Wow. One dimentional- but it's OK cause it's fan-fuckin-tastic.

T- Tart and sweet, slightly mouth-puckering berry goodness. I love love love raspberries, and this beer has them in spades. The antithesis to Dogfish Head's Fort (which I also love), this beer is a delivery system for the berries, with nothing to get in their way No other real flavors to speak of, slightly vinous, great berry flavor. Cannot be improved.

M- Slightly tart, light, high carbonation keeps it fizzy and fun.

D- I could drink a growler or two of this stuff. This is one of the tastiest beers I've ever had. I kind of have a hard-on for raspberries, so take that under consideration... but if they're your bag you can't really go wrong with this one. World-class.

4.62/5  rDev +6%

Bottle. Pours a magnificent reddish hued clear color with a nice pinkish head. The aroma is strong raspberry notes with a sweetness I have come to expect for the NG fruit beers. Slight tart as well. Nice balance of sweetness and tartness upon my first couple of sips. This beer is so good. This weekend I had Phoenix Kriek, NG Belgian Red, and this and I have to say this was my favorite of all 3. Light/Medium mouthfeel.

4.19/5  rDev -3.9%

In the Texas heat during August, I usually want something really light and something with fruity flavors. Thanks to my friend, Aaron, I had an opportunity to taste this gem. It's a welcome respite from all of the summer beers I've tasted in the past.

The appearance looked very dark for what it is, so it sure didn't look that light.The smell of this beer isn't as fragrant as I would thought a fruit beer would have, however smelling aroma from the beers isn't my forte.

The taste and mouthfeel of this beer is excellent. I certainly loved the taste of this beer because it isn't overly sweet like some of the other fruit beers I've tasted over the years. It's certainly not as sweet as Lindeman's Framboise.

Drinkability's great if you want something fruity without the excess sweetness.

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

750 ml poured into a generic chalice. Ruby red body. Thin off-white head. Sticky but not resinous lacing on the glass. Aroma of raspberries with some funky tartness. Very clean smell. Taste is sweet yet tart in perfect balance. Who couldn't love this beer served at the right time at the right place in the same way? I beg again, how can any one not love this beer? Pretty effing awesome. Thanks Jim, for sharing this treat.

3.85/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a ruby red color with a one finger white head with a slight pinkish tint. Moderate head retention with some lacing.

S: This has a very sweet smell. Almost smells like cherry flavored ice cream syrup. Some raspberries come through in the smell, but not that much.

T: Thankfully this one got a little more tart and a little less sweet as it warmed up and I progressed through the drink. Up front the beer tastes like a strong apple cider. Then midway through the raspberries come through as does some sourness. Lastly, it finishes with a bit of a syrupy taste.

M: This has a great mouthfeel. Perfect level of carbonation.

D: The drinkability is severely limited by the sweetness. Otherwise, this is an interesting and good brew, although it tastes more like a cider than a beer in my opinion.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Color was a blend of reds and browns that shifts intensities when struck by light from different angles. Half an inc of white head pillowed on top, but faded fast. No carbonation bubbles to see. Thin lace in ribbons.

As expected from the name, raspberries are the dominant aroma in this brew. The very faint hints of something other than the raspberries is quickly drowned out of memory by more....raspberries.

Taste had a very nice fruit flavor that I would most likely describe as....oh what's that fruit...oh...yeah...raspberries. A nice tart presence and a very subtle bit of malt but again, fruit is dominant.

A decent thickness on the tongue and plenty of flavor left to cling to the mouth. Decent carbonation tingle.

A great fruit beer. Would work well with a plate of fine chocolates for dessert. This is a fine example of a beer being exactly what it claims to be. Well worth it for anyone who loves raspberry beer.

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%

Huge thanks to Chico1985 for sharing this unique ale.

A- Dark crimson red, clear. A nice pink head with lambic qualities in retention and lace, suds are sticky but do not hold still.

S- Raspberries. Smells like a great juice with a very slight wood/vine note behind it. Very good aroma strength.

T- Raspberry bliss. So much fruit (singular) flavor. It is very sweet but I can't complain here because it tastes like a gourmet juice beer hybrid. Tartness helps to balance the sweets. It's like 10 molar concentration raspberries with a tiny bit of vine.

MF- Creamy body that has a perfect consistency for the flavors. Nice tart vs. sweet battle. I feel like this is what the mouthfeel should be for such a fruity beer.

DB- So much raspberry awesomeness. One or two glasses would be enough but they are so enjoyable, very filling. So flavorful, is this really a beer?

4.86/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours a dark shade of ruby red with a one finger pinkish colored head. Retention is nice, not a lot of lacing.

S- strong, awesome aroma of raspberries. You can tell theres going to be a little bit of tartness, just from the smell...dear god is it pungent and refreshing.

T- oh wow. Tastes like beautiful raspberry goodness with just a slight bit of tart at the end. Not overly sweet at all. Amazing.

M- feel is near perfect. Good amount of carbonation, body is a little thin though.

D- this is a session beer, and it has amazing flavor. I wish I could get New Glarus more often, because I want to have a stable of this in my fridge at all times

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%

750ml split 3 ways, received in a trade from jmp485. Thanks!

See-through dark red with an small slightly pinkish, off-white head. Turns to a thick ring and leaves a little bit of lacing.

Smell is pure, awesome fresh raspberries.

Taste is pure, awesome fresh raspberries. Exactly like carbonated fruit juice. Easily the most prominent fruit taste I've had in a beer, hard to believe this IS even a beer. Good balance between sweetness and tarty. Covers the tongue in fruity goodness. Amazingly fresh and drinkable. Did I mention this beer is fruity?

Thin like a juice as expected but has a good body to it, carbonation is high but nice and sparkly.

Infinitely drinkable although the sweetness may get tiring. But a 750ml by myself would be so easy. Not very complex but wow, what a great fresh fruit taste. Lived up to my expectations and then some, a real eye opener.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Murky ruby red color with a thinly constructed one inch head.

Smell is all fresh raspberries.

This is a real enjoyable beer. It's very one dimensional in it's raspberry flavor, but the contrast between the tart and sweet is phenomenal. At first taste it seems like it is going to be too sweet and right when it gets to that line it's cut by the tart. Finish is back to sweet.

Mouthfeel is thin and well carbonated, which again I think are both pluses and do a great job cutting the sweetness of the fruit.

Drinkability is off the chart. It's fun, good flavor, light and refreshing, and low abv. In terms of drinkability, there's little not to like about it.

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Thanks portia99 for hooking me up with this in my first trade!

A - Dark cherry color with a nice pink head on top. Yum.

S - Wow. Sweet raspberry smell. This smells delicious.

T - Wow again. I tend to be underwhelmed when I try beers that have been hyped up and are only available in a small area but this beer is phenomenal. Nice sweet raspberry taste up front with a little tartness at the end. The finish on this beer is what really makes it. Sweetness at the front but it is around only for a second before a nice tartness shows up. Reminds me of fresh raspberries. Once again Wow.

M - Medium body with a slightly syrupy quality and a nice amount of carbonation.

D - I could drink this all day. I'm blown away by this beer. The mix of sweetness and a hint of tart is amazing. I think I'm in love!

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to my brother for sending out an awesome New Glarus package!

Pours a beautiful raspberry red, clear dark magenta, with a thin white head that mostly disappears. Nice color on this one.

The aroma is filled with fresh crushed raspberry juice, light floral hops and some sweet malts. The nose is mostly dominated by raspberries, leaving it kind of one-dimensional, but still good.

The flavor is juicy, slightly tart, raspberries all the way. Mixed with sweet, bready, biscuity malts. A touch of earthy herbal notes and faint hints of dark chocolate. This is one tasty fruit beer.

Smooth, creamy body with good carbonation. Sweet, yet some tartness makes its way in. Feels good all the way through from sip to swallow.

This is a very drinkable beer. I'm usually not much for straight up, non-sour, fruit beers, but this one is quite good and at only 4% ABV I can enjoy it all afternoon. The sweetness may cut down on the drinkability eventually, but that's really the only knock against this beer. I'd have to say that I like this even more than the Belgian Red. Nice work on the fruit beers New Glarus.

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%

4 bottles courtesy of younger35, so glad he is my WI mule!!
Poured into an oversized wine glass while watching top chef last night. Great red color with a pinkish head and no visible lace. The raspberry smell hits you right away and its fantastic. Taste is somewhat sweet and tart but not too much of either. Great mouthfeel with a nice carbonation. Drinkability is off the charts. I can't keep this stuff around for more than a few weeks when I get it, I just love it and really enjoy drinking it. Very refreshing, besides sweetwater blue, it's the best fruit beer I have ever tasted.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company