Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,062
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance - Pours a dark red cloudy color with a small off white head.

Smell - Raspberries with some malt aroma.

Taste - Raspberry puree. Some of the malt in the aroma is also detectable. The sweetness and the tartness balance each other out nicely.

Mouthfeel - light to medium bodied, good carbonation, very refreshing.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. This beer deserves the high reputation it has received.

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

So I just moved from WI, and I probably took New Glarus for granted. I had a mini-panic attack when I realized that I hadn't rated this beer before I moved; thanks to Flyer for giving me a second chance at this beer.

I've had the Belgian Red a few times, and found the quality to be rather hit and miss. Sometimes I've liked it, sometimes not so much. Not sure if this beer has the same consistency issues, but this bottle was terrific.

Color was a dark blood-red color with some light white effervescence. Aroma was light and fruity, but more tart than sweet. Flavor was sweet enough to be quite palatable, but again more tart than not. This tart seemed somehow more true to the fruit than an overly sweet Lindeman's frambose ever could be. Reminded me of a Cantillon frambose. Flavor was quite good. Mouthfeel was fairly dry, like a good red wine, but without some of the drying astringency.

I've not been a fan of New Glarus beers, living in WI gave me the pragmatism to be critical at times rather than to fawn. But this beer is quite good and I'd highly recommend.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Finally getting around to reviewing this, as my wife is jonesing for it. Cant say i blame her, as this is one of my all time favorites.
Looks good, the red ale displays a hint of amber in the NG flute. A one finger reddish tinted head was prsent after the pour but had faded to leave a tin collar.

Raspberry. Inviting aroma of fresh, whole raspberries, at the peak of their ripeness. No surprise there. A touch of funk, as well as hints of pale malts. No noticeable hops. This is all about the raspberry, which happens to be one of my favorite berries...

Yummy funked up raspberries, nice and tart. There is a touch of vanilla and some hints of grain. This is perhaps the ultimate celebration of the raspberry.

Crisp and tart beer that is all about the raspberry. Not quite medium bodied. Well attentuated, this is tart, although there are residual hints of sweetness.

Dues to its tartness this is pretty drinkable. Makes for a great desert all by itself, but would certainly pair well with anything chocolate, especially of the darker varieties. Could also make a killer chocolate desert with this tasty brew, i may have to try this someday. This is the beer for fans of raspberry and a touch of funk.

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Deep red, hazy. Some head.

S: sweet/tarts candy.

T: Well, rasberries. In front, middle, and back...with a nice sour tartness in back. Nothing else popping, but, perfect.

M: Dry, fairly heavy. BIG carbonation, almost sparkling wine-like.

D: Perfect as I am sitting outside with a couple of non-BA pals. Both liked it, one loved it..but he is a wine geek, figures.

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to LJArsenal for the trade!

Poured into a champagne flute a deep cranberry juice red with a one and half inch white head. Good head retention and lacing during the drinking period.

Aroma of a bit of funky mildew, tart raspberries and cranberries.

Taste was a big raspberry flavor followed by a big explosion of carbonation! Wow, first drink, first burp. Ahhh... here comes the tart, bitter finish.

Full bodied and thick matched by the active carbonation. Definitely a sipper. The tart flavor remain on the palate for a little white after each sip.

Definitely a sipping beer! Very drinkable in small amounts - the sweet and tart flavors may get to be too much after a while though. I shared the bottle with my girlfriend and she loved it. We're both looking forward to having this again.

4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a deep plum color with a bright snow white head. Huge amount of visible carbonation and some thin fading lacing. Smell exactly like raspberry jam, with some sweet wheaty notes. Amazing, raspberry domination! Tastes of raspberry jam mixed with lemon sour, with small hints of vinegar. Very "tart" and candy-like. Thin mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. Satisfying, the 750 needs to be shared in my opinion.... This would make a great dessert!

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Brilliant red body with a full rose head. Great visible carbonation.

S: Good raspberry aroma although it isn't quite as strong as out of the bottle. I did accidentally snort some head up my nose when smelling it and it wasn't nearly as unpleasant as it usually is when I do that.

T: Great tart raspberry flavor. Nothing surprising there. The flavors are super clear. Most other raspberry beers (like Southern Tier) taste completely artificial. New Glarus doesn't have that problem. It is sweet but the tartness seems to cut it.

M: Nice and light bodied with great carbonation. It tickles the tongue.

D: Fantastic. This is one of the best damn summer drinkers there is. Generally I don't like to drink a lot of the sweeter beers but this one seems to buck that trend for a while at least by balancing the tartness nicely. Truly world class.

3.23/5  rDev -25.9%

Awesome throw-in from a trade w/ raoulduke37. Split with friends last night after dinner. Pours a dark ruby red, really pretty color, little whispy pinkish head. Fizzy. Looks like soda, is all I can think of. Smell is unadulterated raspberry. So far so good, but while I dig the raspberry flavor, this is just too sweet for me. A tiny bit of tart in the finish, but I wouldn't venture to label this beer as sour at all. It's fruity, and sweet. Which if you're looking for, you're going to like this beer. Just not really my thing. A bit cloying and sugary. Wish it was a little more complex and wild tasting, a little more natural. Still and impressive brew. Big fan of New Glarus in general so I would still recommend this beer to others.

4.03/5  rDev -7.6%

This is a super rare moment in my life... My WIFE and I are sharing and enjoying a beer. This NEVER happens, unless she forces me to drink one of her Busch Lights... This one's for you, babe!

Pour a gorgeous, clear raspberry with a 1 inch head with hangs around for some time. The head is a neat pinkish white.

Smells of freshy picked, sweet raspberries and light wheat.

Taste is the same. This is an amazingly fresh and tasty beer. Had to believe it's even beer! High carbonation on the mouthfeel. Light to medium bodied with medium to full berry flavor.

PS - Thanks go out to PaleAl for this trade at DLD!

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Raspberry Tart's a flat gorgeous beverage. It pours an interesting deep red color that almost looks a little purple. When held to light, it takes on a very nice scarlet look. A foamy pink head rests on the surface. It's over two fingers deep and recedes very slowly. Thick, sticky lacing clung to the glass. It doesn't exactly resemble beer, but it's damn impressive nonetheless.

The nose is a full-on berry blast and is impressive. If you're a raspberry fan (or a berry fan in general), you'll love the smell of this beer. I like them quite a bit and this works pretty well for me. It definitely smells sweet and tart. There's some ancillary grainy and earthy notes hanging in there. Other than that, I'm not picking up much at all. That's probably the intent here, but I'm a little disappointed in the breadth of aromatics. That being said, it does smell very good and is certainly inviting.

The flavor mimics the nose almost entirely. I don't know how many raspberries are put into making this beer, but the number must be extraordinary. Berry sweetness simply attacks the palate from beginning to end. The sweet flavor is countered to a large degree by a very accomplished tart flavor. I don't exactly know what the formula is for pulling that off, but it works like a charm. There's an interesting cocoa-like flavor at the secondary level that adds a little depth. I was expecting any chocolate malt presence, but it tastes like there is a little. Grain and earthy flavors are notable throughout. Those flavors and the malt give it a little beer-like character. I like that. But, for the most part, it's a mix of sweet and tart raspberry flavor throughout. I like it quite a bit, but I'm not loving it. It's just a little too one dimensional. But, it is pretty damn tasty despite that complaint.

Raspberry Tart has a more substantial body than expected and has a very creamy, lush feel. On the heavier side of medium is probably the most accurate place to put it. If this were full bodied, it'd be perfect. As it is, it's very smooth. Carbonation is light and only adds to its excellent feel. Drinkability is good, but it's a dessert beer that has its place. It's definitely not something I could drink at any given time.

Raspberry Tart's a very good beverage. I have a tough time calling it a beer simply because it's barely recognizable as such. That being said, it is a very tasty beverage that has a really nice sweet, tart berry flavor. There's a lot to like. But, I don't love it. It's too one dimensional and after a while the sweet/tart flavors almost become too much. I passed a little of the 750 to the wife and was happy to do so. I might have trouble tackling one alone. It is a very unique and worthwhile experience that's worth seeking out. Every BA should try this one at least once.

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up as part of a trade at Dark Lord Day. Thanks Mike! To wit, this is fruit beer done correctly. Has a reddish head, tart raspberry smell and flavor, and some tangy hops to round it out. I cannot think of an ale that would appeal to non beer drinkers that I've come across. Wonderful!

3.78/5  rDev -13.3%

Thanks to emerge077 for this bottle via trade at DLD this year. Split with the wife.

Pours a dark dark ruby red. Small pinkish purple foam on the top of this one. As my wife said "Looks fruity!"

Smell of raspberry puree. Wonderful fresh raspberry smell, kinda like homemade jam.

Taste is Whoa! Raspberrys in your face! Kinda sourish, tartish yum. Not too sweet, just tart raspberries. The best way to describe it is thinking of what you would experience if you could cram an entire pound of fresh raspberries in your mouth at once, and bit down. Grand.

This is probably the first "fruit" beer that I actually enjoyed. I would seek this out again, but obviously not an everyday type of beer.

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer has a dark reddish-tinted body with a moderate head on top, tinted with a pleasant purple. The nose is delightfully raspberryish, tart, and very fresh smelling. To taste: this is fruit beer done right. Plenty of fresh raspberry flavor, but not sweet, certainly nowhere near cloying, like many American examples. There's a good malt background, and even a modest amount of hops that provide a great balance. Excellent!

Possibly the best fruit beer I've ever had.

Acquired via from fogdog courtesy of the 2009 Secret Bunny BIF, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 750ml wax-sealed bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright pinkish purple color, with a thin pink head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is all raspberries as you would expect and is very strong.

T: The taste is very tart and sour up front with the strong raspberry flavor. There's a little bit of sweetness that creeps in along with faint touches of wheat and hops. The malt character is thin on-target for this type of beer. The after-taste is sour.

M: Very crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty especially if you're into the raspberry flavor, goes down easily, not too filling, very mild kick, although I'm not a big lambic fan, this beer is right up there with the better lambics, sours and wine-like beers that I've had.

3.9/5  rDev -10.6%

A Dark Ruby Red with a good cm head. Looks good.
S: It smells like I put my nose into some raspberry jam. It also has a slight tartness that comes through.
T: The beer is quite sweet with a huge mount of raspberry flavour. It also tastes like other berry are in there as well. A slight tartness finishes at the end.
M: Thick but a fair amount of carbonation
D: Too sweet to drink very many.

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle into red wine glass. Big thanks to STLWill for hooking me up with this fantastic beer!

Pours dark red, clear, with a thin, fizzy pink head that doesn't hang around too long.

Smell is just all raspberry. Really no other way to describe it. Like taking a bucket of eviscerated raspberries and using it for a helmet. Nicely tart and crisp.

Huge, vivid raspberry - beautiful blend of natural sweetness with a very crisp, acidic natural tartness. Finish is lingering raspberry acidity, almost like the most perfect raspberry soda you can imagine. Beautiful in every respect.

Mouthfeel is light and fizzy, crisp. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect, and perfect for what it is. A bit sticky as well.

Drinkability is very good, given that I easily drank almost a whole 750 by myself. That being said, the sweetness and acidity, while providing an amazing natural balance, are also a bit wearing on their own. It's a great beer, but not one I'd be in the mood for all the time.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - This beer poured a great ruby red color and produced a pink, fluffy head that had little retention and left some lace on the side of the glass

S - The only aroma that I get from this beer is the rasberry, not surprisingly enough, but what I dont get is the tartness I get from Lindmann's

T - Again, not surprising, the only thing I can taste is the rasberry on this beer, but what is great is the sweetness and tartness of the berry are balanced in this drink, very nicely done

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a thin body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This was a very drinkable dessert beer, and comparing to Lindmann's, there is no comparision, New Glarus is vastly superior

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle: This one pours a murky browish-red color. Mine had a small fizzy head on it that went away almost immediately. No lacing. Nice nose. It is pretty much tart raspberry and not much else. There is a good body to it, but still a lighter mouthfeel. There is some effervescence in your mouth. The taste is mainly tart raspberries, but it is not overpowering. It is very unique. It is almost hard to classify this as a beer, but it is very good none the less. I would definitely buy this one again.

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

Thanks to my friend Rob for shipping this to me.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A: Vigorous pour yields almost no head. Color is gorgeous garnet ruby red. Lacing is some of the best I have seen on any beer bar none.

S: Smells of tart raspberries, and oddly enough tobacco as this one warms. Pipe tobacco that is. It makes me want to drink it.

T: Taste is obviously of raspberries, and very much like the fruit but more tart and more sweet. The sourness is really good and I am enjoying it throughout until I get to the end of a roughly 10oz pour. At that point the sourness is slightly tightening my throat, but not very bad. The fact that it's sweet and sour and so well balanced in that manner makes me keep wanting more of this one. Really enjoyable and the second best fruit beer I've had.

D: A little sweet to drink more than probably 15-20oz of this one in a night. I'd love to have this one with any dessert.

Overall the second best fruit beer I've had to the Belgian Red which to me is perfect. We were discussing this one tonight and it's so much better than almost every other fruit beer in the world. Stunningly good.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured out a clear, very bubbly, deep red color with a small, pink, fizzy head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of sweet raspberries. That's about it, but it was a very good aroma.

T - It tasted very sweet and of great raspberry flavor. Really an amazing taste.

M - It was very crisp and fizzy with a slightly dry finish. A light bodied beer.

D - This is really rich and full of flavor. This truly is an amazing brew.

3.65/5  rDev -16.3%

Deep red-raspberry color with a pink head that abruptly dissipates. It has an absolutely terrific raspberry aroma. It reminds me of a raspberry pastry. It's flavor is very sweet. Almost too sweet. Has only a slight tart, sour flavor to it. The mouthfeel gives a bit of pucker and tingling sensations. Has average drinkablitily, as the sweetness becomes too much.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

A= pours an actual raspberry red color with a tiny head that doesn't last a second before falling to a ring around the glass and leaving no lacing at all.
S= raspberry all the way. I really can't describe too much more.
T= really really true raspberry flavor. I feel like I can almost actually taste the seeds from the raspberries. Not the candy raspberry thing but a real raspberry taste.
M= high to medium carbonation.
D= The highest. I think this is the most drinkable beer I have ever had. I could literally drink this forever. Amazing beer all around. Not too much else to say about it. Not a fake lindeman's raspberry flavor but a real taste to it. Amazing.

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a flute glass. Reddish amber, with a thin head.
Strong aroma of sweet raspberries overpowers. Slightly sour aroma as well.
Deliciously sweet and puckering. I can only taste sweet raspberries, but that is definitely good enough.
Crisp, dry, and refreshing. Drinks like a champagne.
Despite it being quite sweet, I find the drinkability quite good. Like lemonade on a hot summer afternoon.

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Chimay Goblet.

a: Pours a gorgeous purple with little to no head to speak of.

s: Rich, sour, raspberries. A trace of wheat, slight musty funk and fruit seeds.

t: sour raspberry candy. This is one sweet brew, but it finishes with a delicious tartness that makes your mouth pucker. This is truly like drinking your desert.

m: standard mouthfeel for a low alcohol ale.

d: This one is a sipper. I couldn't finish a bomber by myself, and had a hard time finishing a goblet as it is. This is such a sweet/tart elixer, a few sips and your tastebuds are exhausted.

-A rare treat worth seeking out, but don't plan on drinking it alone.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

There are not many breweries in the entire world that make constantly amazing and well constructed brews, i mean, with New Glarus, it will always be something highly enjoyable..

Raspberry Tart goes over this rule, an amazing brew!

Pours a vibrant red with a man pink head, great lacing of course and exceptional strength of the foam ..

Smell is of light berry and fruit juice, subtle...

Pure wonderment in a bottle, bliss in glass, enjoyment at its core, just simply a joy to drink..
The sweetness and mouthfeel are so polite and refined, while still holding there ground, full and respectable, a beer! a good beer!!

sitting here on such a nice day with a beer of this caliber i now know what lottery winners do on their private islands..

Raspberry Tart!

thanks to John for getting me a bottle, i will need more..
at the very least to inject into my veins!!

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company