Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,040
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
4.97/5  rDev +14%

Now lets talk a little bit about this one for a minute. I have been wanting to try this forever, and I just recently received not one, but two bottles of this brew. I really did not know what to expect going into it, but have heard it is simply outstanding. So needless to say the red wax coated 750 beckoned me from the start and I popped one open last night. Poured a very nice raspberry colored red with a small pink colored head and very nice carbonation visible throughout the session. The smell was rich with raspberry essence. Extremely strong so that nothing else could possibly come through. Now the flavor was to die for. I have never been the biggest fan of fruit beers in general, but this has just come to a whole new level. So sweet yet tart and sour at the same time, the flavor was so strong, yet not overpowering and not too sweet as to make you sick, it was in a word, perfect. It had the most perfect taste for this style I could have ever imagined. A great light body and great carbonation made it feel like water and there was just no hint of any kind of alcohol in this. This was by far one of the best brews I have ever had. I was raving mad about this all night long and easily killed the bottle myself. I just did not think anything could taste this good, this was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on as much as I could, I have to give it up here. This is one of the best drinks I have ever had, hands down, just wonderful. I would have to recommend this to everyone, go and get some!

mikesgroove, Oct 27, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a cranberry/raspberry crimson with a big frothy pink highlighted head that forms in cascading fashion and dies slow with lacing. Smells of juicy, ripe, delicious raspberries! Taste as it smells. Really nothing to say other than someone took some of the best raspberries, squeezed the juice out of them and somehow hid some alcohol in there. Makes you pucker in delight! I love sour stuff, I love beer, I love this beer. Thicker than I thought it would be in the mouth without much carbonation. An absolute delight, but drinkability is limited to being full, such as drinking a bunch of cranberry juice. Definitly worth a try.

franksnbeans, Sep 28, 2007

A dark red, almost bloody color with no head what so ever. It had a very strong odor of raspberries, go figure. The taste was powerful, very, very strong raspberry taste. The feel was kind of syurpy to me, but I don't drink many fruit beers. I would have this again, it is somewhat of a Kool-aid for grownups.

Homerbag, Sep 17, 2007
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a very cool dark ruby red with a pink tinged one finger head. The head fades fairly quickly to a thin swirling cap and ring, leaving behind a thin wispy lace.

Smell; there's a huge tart raspberry aroma, which is no surprise, but there's also a bit of a sweet sugary presence underneath that. Otherwise there's not much else going on in the aroma department.

Taste; as with the nose, and to be expected, there's big tart raspberry flavor. A little bit of some sweetness come through the tartness, as well as a mild hint of some caramel and cherries. The sweet and tart flavors seem to flow back and forth very nicely, and make this probably the best fruit beer that I've had so far.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, and leaves a thick coating in my mouth after each sip, and the drinkability is really good, as the beer is just disappearing before my eyes.

RedHaze, Sep 13, 2007
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Blood red color, carbonation bubbles all over the place. There is an inch of head, rosy pink in color. Huge chunks of lacing stick behind. This looks like it's going to be good...

The aroma is of course raspberry, but also noticed bits strawberry and touch of sugar.

The taste is great, with huge raspberry flavor. It tastes very much like champagne. Also notable are the bits of apples, grapes, oak in the flavor.

Light bodied with insane carbonation, slight pucker from the tartness of this. It tastes great, but it's too carbonated and tangy for me to drink lots of.

dogger6253, Sep 08, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Poured a dark red slightly foggy, and a reddish tinged off-white head that poured heavy but didnt last long, but left some mild lacing,

S- strong rasberries, bot very surprizing for the lb or so of it used per bottle, sweet smelling

T- a very strong sweet rasberry flavor that is balanced very well with the strong tartness very tasty

M- strong carbonation, light body, pretty acidic body for a drink

D- huge for a really tart drink

Atron67, Aug 21, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

sampled a couple times, never reviewed...cellared this one about 8 months at low temps since my Dec. trip to Madtown, let's see what happened

a: Poured into a flute type St. Louis lambic glass, I get a pink head atop a beautiful, deep ruby red body. Not much retention, but I guess there wasn't much to retain...a thin layer does remain.

s: This one absolutely must be allowed to warm a bit once out of the fridge. Mashed, dark red raspberries upfront...like the kind that are just about overripe and falling off the vine. A moderate tartness tempers the sugars of both the fruit and the malt. Not just raspberry, but a representation of the berry at its peak that showcases its full range of character from rich fruit to gently tart citric acid. In all likelihood, this should probably be a 5.0.

m: Carbonation on the lower end of the medium range, a very smooth compliment to the luscious medium body.

t: Wow. I was worried that the age might have done some damage, but no way...I think the raspberries and malt may have actually blended into each other a bit more. Delicious fresh raspberries and raspberry compote seasoned with lime juice. Holy shit this is good. Malt takes a far back seat to the fruit, but it provides a very important backbone of both body and flavor. Behind the fruit you can't taste the grain, but I can tell it's there. The grain also serves to mellow the tart quality of the citric acid, which I'm sure serves as a preservative. So much going on here, most all of it involving raspberry.

d: a pleasure for sure, the stickiness in the back of the throat is the only detractor

As it turns out, this one might be worth aging awhile...give it a shot if you're fortunate enough to have easy access. I'd love to do a side-by-side. A follow up with New Glarus revealed an expected shelf life of two years.

blackie, Aug 20, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

Simply amazing looking beer-betwen the deep reddish color and the beautiful pink head it is very hard to believe this is actually a beer. Simply gorgeous. Fruity and somewhat spicy aroma-I think the spiciness comes from thet heavy fruit more then anything. Big malt and fruit flavor-tart and sweet and very, very refreshing. The rasberry character really stands right out. For all the sweetness up front it finishes quite dry and tart. Great body for such a low abv beer. Overall what can I say-just a great, great beer. It is almost hard to call it a beer from the fruit flavor it has. I have to knock it down a hint for the simple fact that it comes across like a sparkling wine and I dont know if I could do it all night. Amazing stuff.

lackenhauser, Aug 19, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -14%

A gift from my girl, I saved this one for a relaxing afternoon. So came such an afternoon in August and I chilled my beer in the fridge. Upon opening the large pint plus sized bottle, I was bombarded with the smell of raspberries! And thus begins the review.

The appearance looks more like a deep red, almost burgundy, cider. The head is minimal and dissipates quickly leaving a light lacing of tiny, almost champagne quality bubbles where the brew meets the glass.

The smell is of course that of raspberries. It reeks of raspberries! It's lovely fruity aroma reminds me of raspberry preserves, though not as thick. This aluring aroma entices my sweet-tooth and prompts me to take a taste.

Attack of the sun ripened raspberries comes to mind. The flavor is a full-on assault of raspberry goodness. Every aspect of the flavor of a raspberry is there from its tart and tangy zing to its candy-like sweetness. And through it all, you can still register, mostly in the finish, the ale that this advertises itself to be. A tiny but of the bitters come through and mix with the standard berry tartness at the end to give this ale a dry, acidic finish.

The mouthfeel reminds me of that of a nice champagne, and in retrospect, the finish does as well though not as tannic. To expound upon this, the carbonation is constant and about the same as that of a cider. The dryness left at the end is very much the same as well.

This is an enjoyable, sweet beer. If I may say so, this would be the perfect end to a light summer meal served with some plain or walnut short-bread. Pair it with a salad or some crusty bread for a winning combo. I would definitely recommend this to friends and family though it would be a real hit with the younger crowd and many of the ladies.

HoppyBen, Aug 11, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Purchased from Flanagan's Stop and Shop, Appleton. Comes in a green 25 oz. bottle, very similar to a wine bottle. Capped with a conventional crown cap and sealed with wax. Beer was sampled at both 55 deg F and 45 deg F.

A: Poured a deep burgandy color with a thin pinkish head and some lacing. Athough the head was thin, retention was good.
S: Beer has a subtle but wonderful raspberry aroma. Aroma was stronger than expected at lower serving temperature.
T: Tart raspberry that has a wonderful balance of sweetness, tartness, and frutiness. Not at all cloying. Tartness highlights the raspberry flavor very well. I could barely sense a tannic note.
M: Not objectionable. In my opinion, not important for this beer.
D: Best enjoyed as a sipping beer.

Raspberry Tart would be a fantastic beer to accompany a meal. Would compliment many pork, and bold poultry dishes. I would not hesistate to serve this beer in place of wine, even to those who do not like beer. It would also pair well with many desserts (especialy chocolate).

theHarv, Jul 29, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep mohoganny, pink head, slight retention, good lace.

S: Raspberry and candy-floss fruity esters.

T: Raspberry, dry, slight acidity, candy-floss fruityness.

M: Light to moderate body, moderate carbonation, slight acidity, dry finish.

D: Very good.

I generally don't like raspberries or tartness, but this is incredibly well-crafted.

Derek, Jul 20, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

Re-review on 10/11/09
Poured from a 750ml bottle with a wax sealed crown into a tulip to enhance the aroma. Label had a story about the beer. No dating info. Was a dark ruby red color. It had a large fizzy head that dissipated into a barely there collar and central wisps. Good central carb streams from the laser etching. No lacing.

The aroma was obviously heavy on raspberries but also got got oak and vanilla from the barrels. Really enjoyed sniffing this one over and over. Raspberries was strong but not enough to be off-putting. The taste followed the aroma and again was amazing. Great tartness but not overpowering. Starts out sweet and then halfway thru you get a big smack of tart for the finish. I've had many sour and tart beers since this one so the finish wasn't as puckering as the last time I had it. Mouthfeel was tart, duh, with a heavily carbonated tinge to it (the heavy carb works here so a good aspect on this one).

Overall, a classic fruit beer. Before, I had Belgian Red a little higher in my mind but this one may now be neck and neck. Can't recommend highly enough if you like fruit beers. Worthy of the hype and praise. Rotation: Wisconsin only. If here, it would be a regular player. As-is it has a permanent spot on my wants.

****Original 7/18/07 review below***
4.0 4.5 4.5 4.5 4.5
Got in a trade with jeffkrenner - thanks! Poured from a 750ml bottle with a wax seal and story about the beer on the label. No dating info. The color was a dark ruby red. It had almost no head and that was gone in a blink of an eye. No lacing. The aroma was obviously heavy on raspberries but you could also smell the oak from the barrels. Also had a bit of a "wine" smell to it. The taste was really good and not too raspberry as I feared it might. I like raspberries but find that too much is not a good thing. The only downside to the taste and mouthfeel was that it was so tart that each drink made me pucker up a bit. Not enough to be annoying but close. For that reason, I've got the Belgian Red rated a little bit higher. Overall, an incredible beer that you've got to try. Gonna have to find a regular source for this especially since the wife claims half of each bottle. (4.5, HR, T, Y)

TexIndy, Jul 19, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Got her in the mail in a trade with umustdrink. Shared this with family after a nice BBQ on a surprisingly coolish Hotlanta evening. Pours a lovely, ruby red with a nice fizzy head. Of course she had an aroma of raspberry, with a full sour mouthfeel. I still cannot get over how balanced this beer was...and I don't even like raspberries! The wheat must balance out the tartness, because the tartness really does not blow you away. One truly exceptional beer.

RustyDiamond, Jul 03, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Presentation: Poured from a green wine bottle into a champagne flute. The top is sealed with a crown cap and red wax. The label describes this interestingly. It sounds like the raspberries are spontaneously fermented, then mixed with wheat and aged Hallertau hops. Not sure of the age, but I only picked this bottle up a few months ago.

Appearance: Pours with 3/8 inch of light pink head. This settles slowly to a ring around the glass and some islands of foam. The beer itself is a brilliant red.

Smell: Strong, pungant raspberries. An amazingly deep aroma that is wonderful.

Taste: Raspberry flavors explode on your tongue when you take your first sip. Lingering sweetness in the finish. Not as acidic as many true lambics, so maybe a little easier to drink a bottle.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy mouthfeel, really unexpected from such a fruit intensive beer. Just the right level of carbonation to keep the fruitiness from being cloying.

Drinkability: Great, great, great. I wish I didn't wait so long to crack open this bottle and I wish I picked up more than one. For those who complain this doesn't taste like beer, just take this for what it is and realize that not all beer tasted like just malt and hops.

beveritt, Jun 27, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 4-pack of 12oz bottles when I visited New Glarus back in May. Shipped them back to NH along with a number of other beers. This is the first one I've cracked since returning.

A short time after eating a great meal on this lazy Sunday night I decided to relax and have a Raspberry Tart for dessert. It all started when I poured the heavy, cloudy, deep-hued red brew into my Goose Island tulip glass. I was presented with what looked like a glass of puree topped with small islands of quickly-dissipating head scattered around the surface.

The smell is of pure, fresh molten raspberries. Definitely a great dessert beer.

The taste is as though someone smashed you in the mouth with a baseball bat made of raspberries. The carbonation is very even with a moderate syrupy feel over the tongue- yes, this tastes like a glass of fruit. Awesome!

There is a tart kick to this brew which is gently evened out by the sweetness. The finish is a crisp, malty raspberry finish that doesn't linger too long.

Raspberry Tart is as enjoyable as it is hard to get. If you live in WI and are near New Glarus, I'm definitely jealous! I'm glad to have been able to experience this beer.

mixylplik3, Jun 25, 2007

Thanks goes out to ILhophead

750ml Waxed Bottle

Pours a nice cloudy deep red color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy head, leaves some small islands and some nice sticky lacing. The nose is malty, nice touch of raspberry, spices, and some caramel. The taste is tangy, slightly bitter, raspberry a plenty, malty, and some caramel. Medium body. Very drinkable, a very tasty brew from New Glarus, highly recommended.

Wasatch, Jun 24, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a champaign style bottle into a clean pint glass.

It poured dark, red and with a tanissh head that quickly dissolved.

It smelled like raspberry freezer jam that has been allowed to thaw out (very sweet and sugary).

It tasted very sweet at first and then a kick of sour raspberry kicked in with a touch of tang! It was like eating a handful of fresh raspberries. It had a nice body to it, smooth but then ripply into a medium body near the back of the tongue.

It was very drinkable when I only sipped it slowly. If I drank large mouthfuls or sipped back to back it became too sweet to my palate to enjoy.

Rennpferd, Jun 21, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -15.6%

The raspberry flavor dominates, tastes delicious, and has a perfect tart balancing kick, but this beer is just too hard to drink. Really, I suggest splitting a bottle with at least 3 people. It was fantastic paired with some good vanilla bean ice cream for dessert, but I still had a lot left after and naturally I can't let it go to waste, but it's a bit of a chore to drink. Damn tasty, but bring friends.

tempest, Jun 17, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

got this bottle from presario as part of CanBIF3. i've been trying to get my hands on this one for a while, so thanks trevor for hooking me up.

750ml bottle with burgundy wax.

pours deep pinkish red, somewhat cloudy, with a small fairly dense pink head. the head drops fairly fast and leaves no lace.

aroma is great. huge raspberry blast. just a small hint of sweetness. touch of alcohol. faint cracker and bread malt.

taste is excellent. lots of raspberry again. nice light tartness. hint of alcohol. nice light bready malt. feels like there might be a little sour cherry in there too. light sweetness, but not syrupy at all.

mouthfeel is great. silky smooth well-integrated medium carbonation level. medium body with a fairly dry finish.

drinkability is great. the alcohol is almost completely hidden, and the light sweetness is balanced well against the bit of tart/sour character. very enjoyable.

grub, Jun 11, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

HUGE thanks to bax72 for sending this my way via BC2! Made the lady real happy.

Pours a ruddy red/brown, big thick pinkish brown head forms, settles down to a thin layer quickly, leave some nice spotty lacing on the glass, good retention, looks pretty nice. Smell is fantastic, fresh raspberry juice, caramel, bit of floral bouquet, brown sugar, more raspberry, tons of fruity goodness. Taste is sour raspberries, sugar, caramel, very earthy, sweet/sour raspberries, raisiny toffee, some bread, wicked good. Mouthfeel is light bodied, low carbonation, silky silky smooth, very refreshing, goes way too fast. Just an amazing beer. Thanks a ton Chris! This made my evening.

Viggo, May 28, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance - disdaining the label advice to use a champagne flute, I opt for a tall, thin lambic glass instead. Good choice. The beer pours a flat, dirty purple, two fingers of pale purple head sit like snow on top. Fine beads of bubbles slowly rise up the sides of the glass. Beautiful.

Aroma - all raspberry all the time. An off-shoot of something grain-based but that's it.

Taste - sweet, sweet raspberries with tartness on the sides and back of the tongue. Citric acidity dries out the mouth on the swallow, leaving behind a tart but very fruity raspberry finish. Beer elements are at a minimum, some basic grain flavor at the start that quickly concedes to the immense fruit. The aged hops I imagine provide some balance without even showing up because I can't detect them. A delicious dessert beer.

Mouthfeel - it has a heaviness and chewiness that really enhance the boldness of the fruit. Very resilient residue gives a long aftertaste. The high carbonation makes its serving in a champagne or lambic glass most appropriate.

Drinkability - too sweet for any session, but a special treat anytime. Sure to be a hit for sweet/fruit beer fans (A definite hit with the missus). Thanks to Erdinger2003 for this great beer!

brewdlyhooked13, May 24, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Deep red hue with little to no head. Extremely fragrant and smells of..well..Raspberries. Heavily. Mayb e a touch of yeastiness. Great taste for a fruit beer. My favorite yet. Great pure raspberry taste with some sourness as well. Overall this was my favorite fruit beer yet. I'm more into stouts and heavier beers, but this was a great change of pace.

ejquin, May 15, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 ml. Ruby color, with some purple hues. Foamy pink head holds briefly, then fades. As the head fades, it leaves some great patches of lace.

Huge raspberry aroma, slightly sour smelling. Great berry aroma in general.

Tart up front, but stops short of being puckering. A bit acidic. Great pure raspberry flavor.

Light body, not as bubbly as I would think. Pretty simple, and it is exactly as advertised, raspberry. Very enjoyable. This would be a super dessert beer.

Bierguy5, May 08, 2007
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours rich, dark, and maroon with a tiny head. The natural raspberry color is pretty cool.

Smells like raspberries, pounds and pounds of them-- like sticking your nose in a bottle of jam.

The flavor is raspberries and sugary sweetness, balanced by a snap of tart acidity at the end. No malt. No hops. No yeast. This is only technically a beer, but whatever it is, it's fucking awesome.

The sweetness and sourness might wear on me after a lot of these, but right now I can think of worse things than drowning in this beer (or whatever the hell it is.)

I want more.

kajerm, Apr 24, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

thanks to demcorhip for this via trade!

A - Unbelievable. What a great looking beer. Pour a pint of fresh rasberries into a blender. Puree and magically have the seeds removed. Wash it across a top notch weizen and keep the red intact. I have no idea how else to describe it.

S - Solid sweet raspberries with an underlying hint of tart

T - Similar to the smell. Not cloying sweet but definitely a desert beer. It's like drinking amazingly tasty raspberries.

M - medium bodied, amazingly balanced and dry in the finish.

D - a great desert styled beer. A full bottle as a bit overwhelming for me in one sitting. It's great but that was a bit more raspberry than I'm used to at one time. I would split one with a friend next time around.

Definitely one you have to try!

barleywinebrewer, Apr 16, 2007