Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

Wants: 1,160
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 893 | Hads: 3,432
4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

Brought this beer back from a recent trip to Madison. Awesome beer to drink on a Sunday afternoon (when you're recovering from a hangover) or as an aspertif. Pours a dark red into my wine glass. Smells of tart raspberries. Taste is the same. Wished that I could taste a little more of the hops to balance it out, but it is still very tasty. Mouthfeel is light, making this a very drinkable ale. (394 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep red color, almost opaque, with a thin fizzy pale rustic red head that is gone in a flash. The smell, while not being all that forward, is all about fresh raspberries. The mouth feel is well carbonated with a 'no apologies' tartness that is married with an offsetting sweetness that really puts the entire package well within my personal drinkability zone. I had all but sworn off Fruit/Vegetable Beers before sampling both New Glarus products. Full flavored, attention getting levels of sour character with pancake-topping levels of fruit flavor. That complexity alone is off the hook. At 4% ABV it's a really wonderful drinker. (641 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

Pouer from a waxed mag to a snifter, The liquid is blood red and had a light fizzy carbonation. The head is short lived but leaves some lace in it's wake. The bobbles are fine grained and lively.

The smell is of raspberry jam.

The taste follows, I opened this bottle for faamily and freinds on thanksgiving and all, beer drinkers or not said it was wonderful. As it is I am not sure it tastes like beer at all, but it sure is enjoyable. It tastes better then any raspberry dessert I can remember. Dry tart raspberries, only mildly sweetened, lip smaking good, Indeed.

The mouthfeel is like a sparkeling win. lighter bodied with i very small bubble, fizzy like carbonation. Good to be sure but less beer like.

The drinkability is very good, It continously calls you back for more.

Big thanks to the greatest trader, NFLMVP, Prosit MK (837 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed over the summer, during a lazy trip through Wisconsin, review is from notes. Large green bottle with that classy waxed top. Bottle shows no freshness or vintage dating. Pours dark amber, with a short lived head and only minor lacing to be observed. Fruity, smoky and SOUR nose. Pleasingly tart brew, not for everybody, but to my taste buds this stuff makes a fine desert brew for those of us into this type of creation. Rich raspberry notes. Tasty and well worth seeking out if in the Wisc. general area. (512 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9%

11/11/07- Received via Jetsbeer in a trade.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with a nice red wax coating around the neck. Has a marking code on the bottom of the label, but I have no idea how to read it. I aquired the bottle in 2005 sometime I believe, so it's at the very least 2 years old. Poured into my Alesmith tulip.

Appearance- Very murky almost dark blood red pour. Looks like cherry cough syrup. About a 1/2 inch off white reddish head...semi-creamy. Head evaporates quickly and leaves very minor lace markings.

Smell- Nothing but fresh raspberries here. Seems like a bit of cherries as well. Seems like it may be fairly sour.

Taste- Wow, I thought it was going to be a sour style beer, but it turns out it was more sweet. Sweet in a very good way. Taste like an orchard of fresh strawberries and cherries as well. Very mildly hopped...which I was expecting more as it said it used hallertau hops (aged ones), which probably makes sense for the muted hop flavors. Wonderful sweet and lightly sour brew. The best frambroise (of the sweet variety) I have had. Doesn't taste artificial like most of them.

Mouthfeel- Thick and viscous, but not quite syrupy. Starts off with a mid range carbonation and ends with a very soft sparkle. Super coating and leaves a great fruity sweet aftertaste.

Drinkability- Wow, I wonder if this would have been better fresh. I would love to get my hands on another of these. Will have to get it via trade though. Hat's off to New Glarus!! Thanks for this one Steven. (1,503 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -3%

750 ml waxed top bottle acquired in a trade with scoobydank, thanks a lot for giving me the chance to try this highly sought after beer, if that is what you want to call it, split this down the middle with my girlfriend tonight

Poured into my Trappist Westvleteren chalice with a dark reddish purple color with a small light pink head that faded away quickly, tons of carbonation, left some good lacing, looked more like a Welch's grape soda than anything else

Smell was dominated by you guessed it raspberries, not much else to it except a very strong sugary aroma

Taste was strong and this one seemed like it would have a lot more alcohol in it, so carbpnated it tasted more like a sparkling wine than a beer, had a sourness that could be compared to a light vinegar taste, very tarty making its name appropriate, the only other thing than raspberries I could taste was a little bit of caramel, this was a lot better than the last fruit beer I had

Could drink this entire bottle and then a little after that, very light even though the taste can be overpowering and too strong at times

Recommended even though it is expensive, I think about ten dollars a bottle, I am not generally a fan of fruit beers, but this one was good, not bad for my first New Glarus brew, still got a Wisconsin Belgian Red in the fridge, would drink again if I got the chance (1,358 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a couple bottles of this one in a trade awhile back. I consumed some Belgian Red and loved it, was really excited about this one.

A: Pours a love sparkling ruby red color. There is a nice light pinkish white head that dies down. Lots of carbonation rising to the top if you can hold it up to light that is strong enough to penetrate this bold red beauty.

S: Wow tons of fruit come wafting from the glass. I don't think you could squeeze a hand full of raspberries and get more aroma than this one has.

T: Wow lovely. This is the nectar of the freshest purist raspberries. I have no idea how they have taken fruit juice and transformed it into something so nice. It is the perfect marriage of sweet and tart. I like a good bottle of wine, but would take this one over wine anyday.

M: Simply Sparkling.

D: Uh, yeah... It's just too bad I shared this one with friends. Not to be stingy, but its that damn good.

Overall: First of all I really like this one. The aroma and taste is subpurb. It is a finely crafted beer that everyone should search out. I actually like the Beligan Red just a tick better than this one, but that is not to slight this gem in any way. It is a wonderful beer more than deserving of its top 100 ranking. (1,236 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Now lets talk a little bit about this one for a minute. I have been wanting to try this forever, and I just recently received not one, but two bottles of this brew. I really did not know what to expect going into it, but have heard it is simply outstanding. So needless to say the red wax coated 750 beckoned me from the start and I popped one open last night. Poured a very nice raspberry colored red with a small pink colored head and very nice carbonation visible throughout the session. The smell was rich with raspberry essence. Extremely strong so that nothing else could possibly come through. Now the flavor was to die for. I have never been the biggest fan of fruit beers in general, but this has just come to a whole new level. So sweet yet tart and sour at the same time, the flavor was so strong, yet not overpowering and not too sweet as to make you sick, it was in a word, perfect. It had the most perfect taste for this style I could have ever imagined. A great light body and great carbonation made it feel like water and there was just no hint of any kind of alcohol in this. This was by far one of the best brews I have ever had. I was raving mad about this all night long and easily killed the bottle myself. I just did not think anything could taste this good, this was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on as much as I could, I have to give it up here. This is one of the best drinks I have ever had, hands down, just wonderful. I would have to recommend this to everyone, go and get some! (1,516 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a cranberry/raspberry crimson with a big frothy pink highlighted head that forms in cascading fashion and dies slow with lacing. Smells of juicy, ripe, delicious raspberries! Taste as it smells. Really nothing to say other than someone took some of the best raspberries, squeezed the juice out of them and somehow hid some alcohol in there. Makes you pucker in delight! I love sour stuff, I love beer, I love this beer. Thicker than I thought it would be in the mouth without much carbonation. An absolute delight, but drinkability is limited to being full, such as drinking a bunch of cranberry juice. Definitly worth a try. (631 characters)

A dark red, almost bloody color with no head what so ever. It had a very strong odor of raspberries, go figure. The taste was powerful, very, very strong raspberry taste. The feel was kind of syurpy to me, but I don't drink many fruit beers. I would have this again, it is somewhat of a Kool-aid for grownups. (309 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a very cool dark ruby red with a pink tinged one finger head. The head fades fairly quickly to a thin swirling cap and ring, leaving behind a thin wispy lace.

Smell; there's a huge tart raspberry aroma, which is no surprise, but there's also a bit of a sweet sugary presence underneath that. Otherwise there's not much else going on in the aroma department.

Taste; as with the nose, and to be expected, there's big tart raspberry flavor. A little bit of some sweetness come through the tartness, as well as a mild hint of some caramel and cherries. The sweet and tart flavors seem to flow back and forth very nicely, and make this probably the best fruit beer that I've had so far.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, and leaves a thick coating in my mouth after each sip, and the drinkability is really good, as the beer is just disappearing before my eyes. (857 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

Blood red color, carbonation bubbles all over the place. There is an inch of head, rosy pink in color. Huge chunks of lacing stick behind. This looks like it's going to be good...

The aroma is of course raspberry, but also noticed bits strawberry and touch of sugar.

The taste is great, with huge raspberry flavor. It tastes very much like champagne. Also notable are the bits of apples, grapes, oak in the flavor.

Light bodied with insane carbonation, slight pucker from the tartness of this. It tastes great, but it's too carbonated and tangy for me to drink lots of. (572 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Poured a dark red slightly foggy, and a reddish tinged off-white head that poured heavy but didnt last long, but left some mild lacing,

S- strong rasberries, bot very surprizing for the lb or so of it used per bottle, sweet smelling

T- a very strong sweet rasberry flavor that is balanced very well with the strong tartness very tasty

M- strong carbonation, light body, pretty acidic body for a drink

D- huge for a really tart drink (447 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

sampled a couple times, never reviewed...cellared this one about 8 months at low temps since my Dec. trip to Madtown, let's see what happened

a: Poured into a flute type St. Louis lambic glass, I get a pink head atop a beautiful, deep ruby red body. Not much retention, but I guess there wasn't much to retain...a thin layer does remain.

s: This one absolutely must be allowed to warm a bit once out of the fridge. Mashed, dark red raspberries upfront...like the kind that are just about overripe and falling off the vine. A moderate tartness tempers the sugars of both the fruit and the malt. Not just raspberry, but a representation of the berry at its peak that showcases its full range of character from rich fruit to gently tart citric acid. In all likelihood, this should probably be a 5.0.

m: Carbonation on the lower end of the medium range, a very smooth compliment to the luscious medium body.

t: Wow. I was worried that the age might have done some damage, but no way...I think the raspberries and malt may have actually blended into each other a bit more. Delicious fresh raspberries and raspberry compote seasoned with lime juice. Holy shit this is good. Malt takes a far back seat to the fruit, but it provides a very important backbone of both body and flavor. Behind the fruit you can't taste the grain, but I can tell it's there. The grain also serves to mellow the tart quality of the citric acid, which I'm sure serves as a preservative. So much going on here, most all of it involving raspberry.

d: a pleasure for sure, the stickiness in the back of the throat is the only detractor

As it turns out, this one might be worth aging awhile...give it a shot if you're fortunate enough to have easy access. I'd love to do a side-by-side. A follow up with New Glarus revealed an expected shelf life of two years. (1,832 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +7.6%

Simply amazing looking beer-betwen the deep reddish color and the beautiful pink head it is very hard to believe this is actually a beer. Simply gorgeous. Fruity and somewhat spicy aroma-I think the spiciness comes from thet heavy fruit more then anything. Big malt and fruit flavor-tart and sweet and very, very refreshing. The rasberry character really stands right out. For all the sweetness up front it finishes quite dry and tart. Great body for such a low abv beer. Overall what can I say-just a great, great beer. It is almost hard to call it a beer from the fruit flavor it has. I have to knock it down a hint for the simple fact that it comes across like a sparkling wine and I dont know if I could do it all night. Amazing stuff. (739 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%

A gift from my girl, I saved this one for a relaxing afternoon. So came such an afternoon in August and I chilled my beer in the fridge. Upon opening the large pint plus sized bottle, I was bombarded with the smell of raspberries! And thus begins the review.

The appearance looks more like a deep red, almost burgundy, cider. The head is minimal and dissipates quickly leaving a light lacing of tiny, almost champagne quality bubbles where the brew meets the glass.

The smell is of course that of raspberries. It reeks of raspberries! It's lovely fruity aroma reminds me of raspberry preserves, though not as thick. This aluring aroma entices my sweet-tooth and prompts me to take a taste.

Attack of the sun ripened raspberries comes to mind. The flavor is a full-on assault of raspberry goodness. Every aspect of the flavor of a raspberry is there from its tart and tangy zing to its candy-like sweetness. And through it all, you can still register, mostly in the finish, the ale that this advertises itself to be. A tiny but of the bitters come through and mix with the standard berry tartness at the end to give this ale a dry, acidic finish.

The mouthfeel reminds me of that of a nice champagne, and in retrospect, the finish does as well though not as tannic. To expound upon this, the carbonation is constant and about the same as that of a cider. The dryness left at the end is very much the same as well.

This is an enjoyable, sweet beer. If I may say so, this would be the perfect end to a light summer meal served with some plain or walnut short-bread. Pair it with a salad or some crusty bread for a winning combo. I would definitely recommend this to friends and family though it would be a real hit with the younger crowd and many of the ladies. (1,773 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Purchased from Flanagan's Stop and Shop, Appleton. Comes in a green 25 oz. bottle, very similar to a wine bottle. Capped with a conventional crown cap and sealed with wax. Beer was sampled at both 55 deg F and 45 deg F.

A: Poured a deep burgandy color with a thin pinkish head and some lacing. Athough the head was thin, retention was good.
S: Beer has a subtle but wonderful raspberry aroma. Aroma was stronger than expected at lower serving temperature.
T: Tart raspberry that has a wonderful balance of sweetness, tartness, and frutiness. Not at all cloying. Tartness highlights the raspberry flavor very well. I could barely sense a tannic note.
M: Not objectionable. In my opinion, not important for this beer.
D: Best enjoyed as a sipping beer.

Raspberry Tart would be a fantastic beer to accompany a meal. Would compliment many pork, and bold poultry dishes. I would not hesistate to serve this beer in place of wine, even to those who do not like beer. It would also pair well with many desserts (especialy chocolate). (1,037 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep mohoganny, pink head, slight retention, good lace.

S: Raspberry and candy-floss fruity esters.

T: Raspberry, dry, slight acidity, candy-floss fruityness.

M: Light to moderate body, moderate carbonation, slight acidity, dry finish.

D: Very good.

I generally don't like raspberries or tartness, but this is incredibly well-crafted. (352 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Re-review on 10/11/09
Poured from a 750ml bottle with a wax sealed crown into a tulip to enhance the aroma. Label had a story about the beer. No dating info. Was a dark ruby red color. It had a large fizzy head that dissipated into a barely there collar and central wisps. Good central carb streams from the laser etching. No lacing.

The aroma was obviously heavy on raspberries but also got got oak and vanilla from the barrels. Really enjoyed sniffing this one over and over. Raspberries was strong but not enough to be off-putting. The taste followed the aroma and again was amazing. Great tartness but not overpowering. Starts out sweet and then halfway thru you get a big smack of tart for the finish. I've had many sour and tart beers since this one so the finish wasn't as puckering as the last time I had it. Mouthfeel was tart, duh, with a heavily carbonated tinge to it (the heavy carb works here so a good aspect on this one).

Overall, a classic fruit beer. Before, I had Belgian Red a little higher in my mind but this one may now be neck and neck. Can't recommend highly enough if you like fruit beers. Worthy of the hype and praise. Rotation: Wisconsin only. If here, it would be a regular player. As-is it has a permanent spot on my wants.

****Original 7/18/07 review below***
4.0 4.5 4.5 4.5 4.5
Got in a trade with jeffkrenner - thanks! Poured from a 750ml bottle with a wax seal and story about the beer on the label. No dating info. The color was a dark ruby red. It had almost no head and that was gone in a blink of an eye. No lacing. The aroma was obviously heavy on raspberries but you could also smell the oak from the barrels. Also had a bit of a "wine" smell to it. The taste was really good and not too raspberry as I feared it might. I like raspberries but find that too much is not a good thing. The only downside to the taste and mouthfeel was that it was so tart that each drink made me pucker up a bit. Not enough to be annoying but close. For that reason, I've got the Belgian Red rated a little bit higher. Overall, an incredible beer that you've got to try. Gonna have to find a regular source for this especially since the wife claims half of each bottle. (4.5, HR, T, Y) (2,210 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

Got her in the mail in a trade with umustdrink. Shared this with family after a nice BBQ on a surprisingly coolish Hotlanta evening. Pours a lovely, ruby red with a nice fizzy head. Of course she had an aroma of raspberry, with a full sour mouthfeel. I still cannot get over how balanced this beer was...and I don't even like raspberries! The wheat must balance out the tartness, because the tartness really does not blow you away. One truly exceptional beer. (459 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

Presentation: Poured from a green wine bottle into a champagne flute. The top is sealed with a crown cap and red wax. The label describes this interestingly. It sounds like the raspberries are spontaneously fermented, then mixed with wheat and aged Hallertau hops. Not sure of the age, but I only picked this bottle up a few months ago.

Appearance: Pours with 3/8 inch of light pink head. This settles slowly to a ring around the glass and some islands of foam. The beer itself is a brilliant red.

Smell: Strong, pungant raspberries. An amazingly deep aroma that is wonderful.

Taste: Raspberry flavors explode on your tongue when you take your first sip. Lingering sweetness in the finish. Not as acidic as many true lambics, so maybe a little easier to drink a bottle.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy mouthfeel, really unexpected from such a fruit intensive beer. Just the right level of carbonation to keep the fruitiness from being cloying.

Drinkability: Great, great, great. I wish I didn't wait so long to crack open this bottle and I wish I picked up more than one. For those who complain this doesn't taste like beer, just take this for what it is and realize that not all beer tasted like just malt and hops. (1,217 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 4-pack of 12oz bottles when I visited New Glarus back in May. Shipped them back to NH along with a number of other beers. This is the first one I've cracked since returning.

A short time after eating a great meal on this lazy Sunday night I decided to relax and have a Raspberry Tart for dessert. It all started when I poured the heavy, cloudy, deep-hued red brew into my Goose Island tulip glass. I was presented with what looked like a glass of puree topped with small islands of quickly-dissipating head scattered around the surface.

The smell is of pure, fresh molten raspberries. Definitely a great dessert beer.

The taste is as though someone smashed you in the mouth with a baseball bat made of raspberries. The carbonation is very even with a moderate syrupy feel over the tongue- yes, this tastes like a glass of fruit. Awesome!

There is a tart kick to this brew which is gently evened out by the sweetness. The finish is a crisp, malty raspberry finish that doesn't linger too long.

Raspberry Tart is as enjoyable as it is hard to get. If you live in WI and are near New Glarus, I'm definitely jealous! I'm glad to have been able to experience this beer. (1,181 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks goes out to ILhophead

750ml Waxed Bottle

Pours a nice cloudy deep red color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy head, leaves some small islands and some nice sticky lacing. The nose is malty, nice touch of raspberry, spices, and some caramel. The taste is tangy, slightly bitter, raspberry a plenty, malty, and some caramel. Medium body. Very drinkable, a very tasty brew from New Glarus, highly recommended. (422 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a champaign style bottle into a clean pint glass.

It poured dark, red and with a tanissh head that quickly dissolved.

It smelled like raspberry freezer jam that has been allowed to thaw out (very sweet and sugary).

It tasted very sweet at first and then a kick of sour raspberry kicked in with a touch of tang! It was like eating a handful of fresh raspberries. It had a nice body to it, smooth but then ripply into a medium body near the back of the tongue.

It was very drinkable when I only sipped it slowly. If I drank large mouthfuls or sipped back to back it became too sweet to my palate to enjoy. (627 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -15%

The raspberry flavor dominates, tastes delicious, and has a perfect tart balancing kick, but this beer is just too hard to drink. Really, I suggest splitting a bottle with at least 3 people. It was fantastic paired with some good vanilla bean ice cream for dessert, but I still had a lot left after and naturally I can't let it go to waste, but it's a bit of a chore to drink. Damn tasty, but bring friends. (407 characters)

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company