Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

Wants: 1,177
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 896 | Hads: 3,468
4.27/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to Kevin (kmpitz2) for waiting until I was around for this beer! 750mL bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep purple-red color with one finger of light pink head. There's a bit of lacing left on the glass. The smell is full of sweet raspberry aromas. There's just a hint of sourness, but it's mostly sweet overall. The taste is very very sweet. Lots of raspberry flavor coming through. There's some tart flavors in there as well. A very fresh flavor. The mouthfeel is very thick and heavy. The drinkability is damn good, especially since it's only 4%. A nice fruit beer.

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a rich dark red raspberry color, topped with a thin red-tan film, leaves webs of lacing.
Like the name says, it smells like raspberries with a tart bite, light wheat.
Raspberry taste, nice tartness to offset the sweet malt and fruit, somewhat wine like. Not much hop presence.
Medium to full bodied, I tried it really cold like they suggested, but it's good when warmer it becomes more like a fruit wine than a beer at that point however.

2.75/5  rDev -36.6%

I am going to be with venom here and be the minority on this top 100 beer, but I couldn't stomach this stuff. I popped this open to celebrate my 1-year anniversary with my wife the night before we left for Maui with our wedding cake (raspberry swirl). I poured this into champagne flutes and it came out a deep purple(good band) color with a pink head of bubbles. The aroma was like a kick to the face with fresh raspberries just picked. At this point I was excited to take my first sip. There was an extreme amount of sugar cloyness that left me reaching for a glass of water. The heaviness of the sugar was not pleasant and there was no resemblence to beer coming from this. I love raspberries more than about any fruit and this was too much for me. It felt like I was drinking a can of oregon raspberries in heavy syrup. I know my opinion doesn't count, but this one is way overrated and doesn't even compare to the Belgian Red.

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

thanks to bieristgut for bringing this home. from the bottle. poured what else but raspberry red with a pink head. aroma raspberries juice with carbination, caramel, hints of wood. flavor rasperries with a nice tartness, some sourness this was more like a wine cooler than a beer for me. but still liked this one.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

looks great, fruity. red, red, redder than red with that girly pink foam. shared the bottle with two other people, as rumour had it this beer would not hold up to multiple glasses

aroma is raspberry. nothing else. the fruit, not the pasteurized, processed, syrupy raspberry flavoring you'd find in a jolly rancher.. real fruit.

taste is amazing on this beer. first thing that comes to mind is raspberry jam. mouthfeel with substance (not thin and soda-like how i had anticipated) mixed with extreme raspberry combines for that jam sense-memory. the perfect amount of tartness, but nowhere near cantillon.. and significantly more sour than a lindeman's. the perfect middle ground for me.

i was able to go 2 glasses (flutes) when all was said and done.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours out an effervescent pink ruby colour, with a pretty nice and surprisingly long lasting pink head.

Aroma is knock your socks off raspberries. It’s like sticking your face in the berry bucket when you are picking. Even more so, I would say. I can’t stop smelling this, even though I really want to take a sip.

Taste follows the aroma perfectly. While the aroma is sweet smelling, the upfront taste is neither sweet nor tart, just flavourful raspberrries. Once mid-swig though, it start to kindly drop down to a tart finish. Not pucker your lips tart, just enough to remind you this isn’t pressed raspberries you are drinking. There is nothing else in the taste, it’s just raspberries, albeit, delicious raspberries. There is no real indication this is even beer, just carbonated tart raspberry juice.

Mouthfeel is nice, carbonated, and this stuff is surprisingly drinkable. I split this with one other person, but, I think I could have drank the entire 750 by myself if need be. Very good, highly recommended.

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%

Big-assed champagne bottle courtesy of AKSmokedPorter.

Appearance: Impressive appearance, with the brew looking very much like freshly-blended raspberries. Very active and fizzy pinkish-hued head is boisterous at first and quickly settles down to a thin layer. Slight sheeting action from the head. Not opaque, really...more of a "filled with chunks" appearance.

Smell: Aromas are simply amazing. A beer you can smell from across the room. Fresh, fresh raspberries occupy your olfactories. It's hard to imagine just how the brewers managed to achieve such a wonderful aroma to this beer.

Taste: One taste and it's hard to imagine that you are actually drinking beer. So much raspberry in the flavor. Waterfall of sweetness that is quickly followed by a pucker-inducing tartness. Only as it warmed did any other beer-like qualities begin to peek through. Still, these are token in nature and merely attenuate the avalanche of raspberries assaulting your palate. Certainly one of the more different beers I've had in a long, long time.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Lots of fizziness here, but I think that really helps with the gargantuan sweetness. Drinkable , but tough for one person and this big bottle.

Notes: I'm not sure why...but towards the end of this beer I kept wondering what it would taste like if I mixed it with some imperial stout. A raspberry-impy stout sounded really good at the time. Must seek out other offerings from this brewer. And thanks again to AKSmokedPorter for this gem.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep maroon or purple with a tan head that has a red tint to it. Little bit of spotty lace on the glass.
Aroma is wow ! Pure, fresh, tart raspberries with some can sugar and just a hint of citrusy hops.
Flavor is beautiful, sugary raspberries that is just cut by a short burst of spicy yeast and hops.
Mouthfeel is very champagne-like, although more on the syrupy/sweet side than champagne but similar palate characteristics.
Drinkability is very high. Fruit beers are always hard to assess. Generally due to sweet or tart flavors. This beer is an absolute treasure. Well done, NG. Thanks to trbeer for this rare treat.

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Deep red bordering on purple.

A simply gorgeous bouquet lets loose through the top of the glass. Hints of raspberries, pie crust and cherries.

This beer is a huge success, as in they accomplished everything that they were hoping to do. Raspberries were really the only thing cohesive in this brew. The malt character? Ha! None. The hop character? Ha, once again! Obviously with the use of aged Hallertau, they didn't want any hop flavor to come through. The raspberries though were just simply utterly delicious and consumed my entire mouth. The tartness balanced the sweetness of the raspberries perfectly. I didn't find this beer cloying at all. What a delight!

4.79/5  rDev +10.4%

Dark cloudy stormy purple violet pour, that looks like preserves in a glass for cryin' out loud.

Scents overwhelm me nose. This is heavenly in the aromatic aspect. Tight raspberries that I can almost taste again as memory brings back this one. Lingering raspberry syrupy goodness aftertaste.

Bitter pucker causing delicious flavor. This is like Welch's Grape Juice concentrate without the water added. What else can I say?

Medium body. Teeny particles laft over afterwards.

I could easily drink this all night, unfortunately it is rarer than air in space.

Last swigs: Good puckery tart that was generously provided at a tasting at the General Lafayette Inn. Delicious! I really enjoyed this one.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%

One of the treats at the tasting from the General Lafayette!

Very dark raspberry jam color that you can't see through. It has a light pinkish head that reduced down to mainly holding to the edges.

Intense scent!! You can smell the fresh raspberry puree aroma from almost 2 feet away! The first sip hits you with an insane burst, it tastes like you just bit into a big overly ripe juicy berry. Reminds me somewhat of sparkling red grape juice. Medium body with a good amount of carbination. I really enjoyed this but personally could not do more than say 2 or so glasses at a sitting, since there is so much flavor, so it would not be a good session beer, but it really is very great tasting!

3.53/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours into my glass with a deep pink colored head. The beer is a dark red color that is approaching black (though it has a ways to go). I get strong aromas of raspberries emanating from my glass as I pour this beer. The sweet raspberry notes dominate the aroma, though perhaps a hint of acidity comes through, but not much else. The beer is definitely sweet. It has a full fruity flavor and an almost thick body from the residual sugars that are left behind. It is quite tart in the finish, though it could perhaps use a bit more to balance the syrupy sweetness. I also get a bit of raspberry skin tannin in the finish. The sweetness really over powers that rest of the complexity that might be found in the base beer. This is definitely enjoyable, but is a bit too sweet and cloying to be a 'beer' for me.

4.87/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a very dark red with a nice red tinged foamy head. Good retention and lacing.

Smells like raspberries.

Tastes like raspberries. Berries everywhere. Nothing but berries. I'd go on about any other flavors but there aren't any. It is what it is and it is damn tasty.

Mouthfeel is a little too sweet, but what do you want, everything?

Wow, what can I say. If there's a better fruit beer bring it on.

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

Gorgeous.. wow.. gorgeous. An easy scored 5 for the appearance. Fully lasting full pink head over a fully opaque superbly dark body. I'm truly impressed, seduced, intrigued. Mostly sweet aroma, tempting, you can't tire of it, you can't get your nose of that glass. I love raspberries and I'm all set for the cruise. This starts with a pure raspberries attack, will your defenses hold? You bet, keep them coming, hell yeah, I want more. After a few sniffs, you start to graps the necessary subtlety for a perfect 10 in the aroma department. Vanilla accompanies these stellar fresh fruits and who says vanilla often says woody touch which is also true here. First beer that makes me say: "I know what I'm smelling for breakfast tomorrow". People are not kidding when they say you taste the seeds, you almost feel them between your teeths. Marvellously crafted fruit beer, perhaps even better than a personal favorite: Quelque Chose. I can't believe a beer to be so full-flavoured at 4% ABV. Unique creation which can only be rivalled by New Glarus Belgian Red and as MartinT points out, once you're there, it's really only a matter of preferring cherries over raspberries or vice-versa. On parallel, I personally prefered the raspberry tart which seems to have more acidity (although it still could have used a bit more imo). This is the best single focus on one flavor I've encountered in my young life, this extreme sweetness never appears cloying, nor syrupy nor fake. Lots of stuff going on, eminently complex, crisp and contemplative. Superb mouth-filling body with enough carbonation to detract from the never cloying sweetness. A thousand thanks Nexxus for this fine pie! Hunt this out before I do!

2.55/5  rDev -41.2%

Appearance was a cool looking dark blood red/raspberry with thin rim of pink bubbles. Sweet raspbeery jam aroma with an every so slight tartness. Hey, I might like this beer after all. Taste: all I tasted was sweet raspberry puree. No hints of malt or hops or anything else that makes a beer a beer. "Cloying" doesn't even describe the sticky syrupy mess that stuck to my throat. Maybe a little carbonation wouldv'e helped it dance across tha palate a little better, instead it just coated the mouth with sweetness and nothing else. Mind you- there were no objectionable or "off" flavors, just one-dimensional sweet raspberry ones. It's too bad that this bottle was wasted on me because it seems a lot of people enjoy this "beer" but I found it undrinkable and dumped most of the bottle. The wife even laughed at it.

A raspbeery aroma that starts filling your mouth with water before you can take the first sip, nice little head, a soft creamy raspbeery taste with a hint of tartness and sourness initially, but the sourness doesn't linger in the aftertaste. And the Raspbeery aroma stays with you till the end.For what it is, its wonderful stuff.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

Fruit beer: These guys do it right.

The beer itself is over-the-top and its flavors remarkably potent. But that's a good thing. Dessert in a bottle. If you're expecting anything less than raspberry syrup, don't bother. But if you ARE expecting pure raspberry, sugary goodness, this is your beer.

Deeep red. Burgandy, even. Glints of crimson show through when held to the light. The aroma of raspberries simply eminates from this beer. Obviously sweet but mouth wateringly tart -- hardly uber-sour in the vein of a true lambic, but certainly acidic enough for any drinker to take notice.

And the flavor? I'll let you know when I'm done picking the bits of raspberry out of my teeth and scraping the sugar off my tongue. Big carbonation. Spritzy and delightful.

Something this intense is bound to be somewhat controversial and subject to very subjective judgements. Just walk away if you don't like the fruit equivalent of an "extreme beer." But coming running full steam ahead if you dig raspberries or "dessert" beers. Because this is IT.

3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

Raspberries are definitely not my thing, but I discovered this beer had much pleasure to offer. A full 750 would have been too much for me, and probably would be too much for any one person. Fortunately, I had HiroProtagonist and his fiancee with which to split the bottle, and it ended up being the perfect amount. A dark ruby red, with twinges of hot pink both towards the edges and in the small head. Naturally, the smell was overwhelmingly raspberries. The fruit sweetness was undeniable, especially right off the bat, but towards the end of the flavor profile, it turned more tart (tarter?) and led to a puckering finish that was the high point for me. Quite similar to Lindeman's but noticeably less fizzy, more substantial; a rich, fluid, velvety mouthfeel. The entire beer (especially the tart finish) enlivened the taste buds to an amazing degree (better as an aperitif than dessert). What impressed me most was how fresh the raspberry taste seemed, practically fresh off the bush. The lack of any noticeable "beer" flavors definitely had me out of my element, and I found a little went a long way, so as to affect drinkability. Regardless, I found much to enjoy, particularly in the skilled blend of sweet and sour.

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

New Glarus Raspberry Tart was served from a 750ml wax-sealed bottle...at Pix Patisserie in Portland, Oregon. In a Lindmans flute, the beer was a very deep, almost opaque red, and was topped with a fine pink head that left extremely fine blanket-like lacing. The nose was overflowing with crushed potent sweet ripe raspberries, accented with a hint of tartness. The taste reflected the nose closely. A zippy-prickly ripe juicy raspberry hit powers up into a finely bubbled lightly tart sweetish earthy-berry transition into a drier, tingly finish. Subtle raspberry essence lingers. The body was richly full, and the fine, energetic carbonation was perfect for the presentation of the flavors.
Raspberry Tart was very enjoyable, but I felt the beer would have benefited from more tartness, which would have made both the nose more captivating and the taste more exciting and balanced. But other than this problem, I was highly satisfied with this beer, especially the nice capture of potent fresh raspberry and the perfect carbonation. I was very glad to have found this beer being served in Oregon! Thanks Pix.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

In a 750ml bottle with waxed cap.

Appearance: Pours a deep reddish purple color with a light pink head. Lace covers glass here and there.

Smells: of raspberries overpower the nose of this one.

Taste: Hits you like a ton of bricks and its raspberries. Everywhere you turn it's more raspberries. The greatness though is in the tart aftertaste it just smooths out the sweetness you would normally expect. This is one great brew. Amazing.

Mouthfeel: It's like drinking a carbonated alcoholic raspberry smoothie. It's really insane the texture this thing has.

Drinkability: It goes down so easily it's fun. The sweetness does catch up however eventually and trying to drink the whole 750ml yourself is fun, but gets a little too sweet for me.

An amazing and different take on beer itself hopefully it makes non beer drinkers appreciate good beer even though it's done through fruit.

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%

Served in the 750 mL bottle, into a St. Bernardus goblet. The color is a grape juice purple, with a bubbly white head. The smell is a nice raspberry. The taste is a very strong raspberry, with a very nice sourness to it, and very well-balanced...basically a lambic taste, and a good one at that. Mouthfeel is well-carbed and very syrupy. As for drinkability, could have a lot of these!

Wow...thanks to Bighuge for this bottle. A simply amazing dessert beer, something I could share with a date or with a non-beer lover. It's a shame this doesn't make it to PA, but I'd absolutely trade for this again!

4.29/5  rDev -1.2%

750ml capped bottle dipped in wax with no freshness date. Poured a cloudy dark violet color like grape juice. Oh man what an aroma! Big, Big raspberry aroma that is sweet and delicious smelling. Body is much fuller than I expected and really smooth with a sharp carbonated finish. The flavor here although one-dimensional is actually very good. There is so much raspberry in here that flavor of any other ingredient is pretty much buried. Finishes slightly tart and sweet, balanced in that aspect at least. Again, not a bad thing so if you like raspberry you will enjoy this. Also paired nicely with sharp Wisconsin Cheddar.

3.42/5  rDev -21.2%

Geez, this stuff is close to Alizarin Crimson in color (a purplish red used by watercolor painters). Thin skim of a pinkish head. Laces in wisps on a wine glass. Raspberries saturate the aroma, and being my favorite berry, that's OK. The flavor however is overdone and unidimensional. Berry chokes the palette and the nose concurrently -- and while its not the overly sweet tone of a cheap Framboise, its too much. The tartness is underdone, its more raspberry "smoothie" than seeds and stems. The Belgian Red straddles the line, this crosses it. Could also use slightly more carbonation for interest.

4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

Re-Reviewed 12/23/04:

750mL bottle. Dark, raspberry red wax covers the top of the bottle, dripping down the sides. The packaging, while not completely important, just screams style and class.

Pours out bright strawberry red and sits a gleeming, crisp, deep, dark crimson, raspberry red in the glass. A good sized bright pink head sits atop this beauty of a beer. This is sure to instantly stip any man of every ounce of testosterone in his body and make him swear upon a stack of Cosmos, Glamour and Vogue magazines that he will never crack another joke about those pink shirts he sees other guys wearing. Head fades to a light skim, leaving you with a strand of hope that no one will see what you're drinking. Speckled lacings around the glass.

Up to the nose this beer greets you with the scents of every Bath and Body Works shampoo, conditioner and and hand lotion ever produced. Fresh and tart aromas of raspberry pureé connect your sense of smell and taste to the point where your mouth doesn't know if it's supposed to be tasting this or not; but it does. Check yourself, you might be drooling.

For a spilt second, you think you may have a chance of escaping, but the raspberry flavors lasoo you in like a cowboy tying up a calf in under 8 seconds. Giddy up, it's gonna be a hell of a ride. Sweet, syrupy flavors of pure raspberry gold run up and down the length of your toungue, bringing you to a premature eruption of sugar-coated gustation adultery. You're then immediately pulled away from the sweet taste of your first love and slapped across the face with a cheek piercing tanginess, bordering on sour emotions. These raspberries don't know what they want, but you do: you want more. Up and down and side to side, the raspberries jerk you around like a Superman #1 between four greasy nerds. Simply lucious and neverending ecstasy.

Smooth, rich, creamy and everything in between. A gooey shot of pure flavor spiked with a light, yet crisp carbonation. Medium-full body, with the nicest booty you could ever hope for. Pirates beware.

Some may say that this is overindulgence, I call it self-cleansing, and pleasuring. Not a single drop of this beer would ever go to waste on my watch. I don't think I would ever get this much pleasure from eating raspberries, so I shall swear them off and consume them only in the liquid form provided by New Glarus. I need a towel.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

An impressive looking champagne magnum that is waxed on the top.

Appearance: Murky red colour, looks like puréed raspberries. Light fizzy head give a champagne crackle.

Smell: Big aroma of freshly macerated raspberries. Very sweet yet enough fruity tartness as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Bam! Raspberries! Every corner your taste buds turn more raspberries. The tartness is right in balance with the sweetness of the fruit. Fizzy crisp mouth feel, sweet on the palate with some graininess within. A very faint alcohol also leads down the beer trail.

Notes: A perfect tasting fruit beer, “real fruit”! This is my top pick for an early afternoon brunch tipple.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company