Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

A - Beautiful deep ruby red color with decent carbonation. A nice whitish/pink head retention that dissipates quickly.

S - Dominant smell is raspberry. A nice sweet/tart/fresh smell of raspberries. I really didn't smell any other notes. A very unique smell profile and I love how fresh and 'real' the raspberries smell in the nose.

T - The taste is like nothing else, completely unique and the raspberries completely shine through. It's a great beer to sip as the sweetness is balanced by the tartness of the raspberries. The closest I can compare would be raspberry champagne. It's a nice blend between a beer and a champagne.

M - Nice carbonation, clean, crisp, very refreshing, but also surprisingly thick

O - Excellent beer, very interesting, very unique. I like Belgian Red slightly more but this beer is always outstanding. I love to drink this beer and find it a very outstanding fruit and dessert beer and I appreciate the complexity and craftsmanship of it every time I drink it.

3.95/5  rDev -9.4%

I cracked a bottle of this at 2011 DLD! Three year old bottle aged correctly.

It pours a very nice red color with a light head. The smell was sour and smelled of fruits. Very sweet smelling.

The taste was almost like a lambic. Felt acidic, sweet, and fruity. This was a great first beer of the day to wake up our taste buds!

The mouth was tart and sour.

I really really enjoyed this beer. Perhaps it was the setting or the company but it was a great start to, what would be, a fantastic day!

Overall, try it if you have access to it.

4.87/5  rDev +11.7%

Bottle thanks to bauermj thanks Matt.
Poured very red much like a wine but with a nice white head that hung around nicely
smell is pure raspberry and wonderful
taste is wonderfull as well, tastes like ripe off the vine raspberries I loved eating from my grandfathers plants man this stuff is good, would never know it was a beer though just 4% wine
mouthfeel is a light medium but very fitting
just an outstanding brew and glad we have a second bottle in the cellar.

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks duffman929 for two of these - I'd certainly welcome a few more in the near future...

Like Wisconsin Belgian Red, this isn't a looker. Lighter than its cherry counterpart but similarly cloudy, this pours a reddish brown, bordering on copper. Small tan head with nice lacing, but nothing remarkable here.

The smell is restrained: the sourness comes through in the nose, but it's not overpowering. There's a unique vinous quality, not exactly a funk but it's close. Not terribly sweet, almost earthy.

A similar restraint defines the taste. Far from the fruit cavalcade of Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart seems almost muted in comparison. True to its name, there's a pleasant sourness here that adds a layer of complexity to the beer. That said, I wish the raspberries came through a little stronger - I know this was a pretty fresh bottle, but this almost seemed like an older beer.

Mouthfeel is spot on: wonderful carbonation combined with a luscious consistency. Really a treat.

Raspberry Tart is a great fruit beer, pleasant and refreshing to a fault. That said, it falls short of Belgian Red in a number of respects, and I ultimately believe it's the lesser of the two.

EDIT: I enjoyed a second bottle of this shortly after writing my review - it seemed far fresher, and both the taste and smell were vastly improved. While the appearance didn't change much, I've increased my scores in the Smell and Taste categories accordingly.

2.77/5  rDev -36.5%

750mL bottle shared with girlfriend & poured into a few oversized wine glasses. Deep reddish brown color with a little frothy off white head, retention is nearly absent. No lacing to speak of as consumed, none.

Smells exactly what the name says with addition of a super sweet molasses maple syrup. I am very hesitant to drink with such a powerful smell. I was hoping the taste wasnt as thick as the smell.

Yup, it was. Damn. Cloying sweet & way too thick for my taste. Even my girlfriend was saying how thick it was and definitely a "sipper". More syrup than anything else - ehhh. I was hoping for a much lighter bodied brew from this. A big let down in my opinion for such a celebrated beer. It tasted more like a thick tart wine than a beer - carbonation, where are you?!?!

I am hoping that it was maybe my bottle that was just too old and therefore syrupy. I recieved it in a trade two weeks back and was saving it for an occasion with my girl. I kept it refrigerated at 36 degrees. Idk, I may give it another try in a while. For the moment, very dissapointed in my bottle of Raspberry Tart.

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark red with a layer of off white head that fades and leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet raspberry, smells like real fruit, not imitation. A bit sour.

Taste: Quite sweet with lots of raspberry flavor. A bit spicy in the finish. Raspberries really dominate.

Mouthfeel: On the thick side of medium body with mild, smooth carbonation and a slick finish.

Overall: This is a really nice fruit beer. I would definitely have it again.

4.49/5  rDev +3%

22oz bottle poured into my Pint glass

A - Clear, dark red with orange tones on the edges.

S - Raspberries, and very strong.

T - Raspberry, citrus, sprite-like in flavor.

D - Tons of carbonation. Tartness only up front. Sweet.

O - Ahh... The raspberries made it back to Oregon.

On draught at the Great Dane Brewpub in Madison, WI. Pours a deep red and shows a small slightly rosy raspberry colored head that quickly dissipates and leaves very little lacing throughout. The smell gives off a boquet of tarts. It is mostly sugar and raspberries with a hint of oak. The taste is pure sweet and tart raspberry goodness. Not very sour, it is more of a tart flavor, hence the name. Medium bodied with nice sticky mouthfeel. This is a great beer with just about any dessert, highly drinkable, drink it cold. I am never a fan of vegetable/fruit beers, but this one is an exception! Your lady will love this one.

4.14/5  rDev -5%

New Glarus Raspberry Tart 4.0% fruit beer

A: There is a deep ruby hue that almost appears like a muted amber, huge deep red foamy carbonation that leaves very little lacing.

S: The bouquet smells overwhelmingly like raspberries, fruit preserves, sweet flowers, and a slight wine/cabernet finish

T: The sweetness from the raspberries is present and accounted for, almost overwhelmingly. The sweetness has a cider character to it and subsides into an intense dryness with an incredible crisp finish like biting into a granny smith apple, only, raspberry.

M: The mouthfeel has zero coating, zero stickiness, and washes away crisp and clean.

D: If not for the sugary-juice overload, this would be a incredibly drinkable beer. It presents great utility to those “black sheep” or the XX chromosomal order who “don’t like beer” or “beer makes them feel bloated.” This is an undercover beer that emotes like a crisp cider and presents the ambrosial delight of a champagne. Strictly speaking, I wouldn’t buy this again or seek it out, but that’s largely due to the style. If I was on a boat with some dour faced sad girls, I would provide it like a benevolent Spuds Mckenzie.

Narrative: ::TOOOT!!!:: the olde timey steam whistle hissed signaling the end of another shift. The stern overseer, Rose Juiceworthington, kept a watchful eye over the employees of the Smuckers’ canning line and made sure that her will was enacted to the T. “Williams! My office, NOW!” the loudspeaker boomed. Williams, soaked in mashed raspberries had a sweet winsome disposition, but a sordid past. “I have seen you down there, slowing on the mashing. . .what’s so funny?” Williams raised raised her glance slowly, then swiftly smashed a can of raspberry preserves over Ms. Juiceworthington’s head, sending her cascading backwards into a molten pit of bubbling preserves. The gasps for breath made sweet gurgles and Williams nodded a sticky sweet approving nod, not to be confronted again.

4.1/5  rDev -6%

A - Very nice fluffy off-white head. Brew is mildly foggy red with lots of purple and yellow.

S - Barnyard funk, with slight musk... Great raspberry scent. Awesome scent! one of the best fruit brew.

T - By far the best fruit brew I've ever had. Slightly acidic. Not quite as sour as I would like, but still quite great.

M - Super low carbonation. Awesome light body and great flavor retention. Slight bitterness.

O - A great brew! Must try if you can find one... Worth going over $4$. I could drink one every month.

4.07/5  rDev -6.7%

poured into a flute

A- pours a very sexy dark ruby red. Head is slightly tinted but doesn't hang around long.

S- smells like fresh tart raspberries, very nice, excellent balance between tart and sweet.

T- Straight raspberries here, in my opinion this is a more "natural" raspberry taste than some of the super-sweet versions out there. This again strikes a nice balance and I'm really able to enjoy it.

M- I was expecting a little more carbonation, and that would have helped everything stand out just a bit more. It wasn't flat, but carbonation was minimal.

O- A very nice brew I will be sure to get whenever I can (not often, but thanks to the beer mule network that brought me this one!) Not sure if the carbonation is consistent between bottles, it's still good enough that I'd search out another bottle to see if it has more carb to it.

4.64/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appears Ruby red with a small thin pink colored head that dissipates in a quick matter.

It smells of sweet, ripe, earthy raspberries. There is a bit of a faint oaky dry vanilla smell as well. But it is all pretty much raspberry.

It tastes of strong sweet ripe raspberries. The sweetness is balanced by a refreshing tartness. There is a mild oaky flavor but raspberries reign supreme in this beer.

There is crispness to the beer.

Overall a near perfect natural tasting fruit beer with a perfect balance of tartness and sweetness.

3.25/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours crimson red with a bubbling white head that fade to almost no lacing.

A big raspberry aroma with a mild amount of oak. Comes across like it's gonna be really sweet.

Tastes are the same. Too sweet for me, almost like soda. No real acidity to speak of. Light dry finish.

Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation.

Overall is just not my kind of beer I guess. I'm a little bummed by that as I was looking forward to this beer for some time.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle poured into a flute.

A – First off I didn’t realize that the bottle was mostly a green clear color. The beer inside of it had such an amazing red hue that I never thought the bottle is clear. Pours about two fingers of soapy white head that falls very quickly. The red color is hard to describe, but it’s mostly ruby red with some darker cherry color hints along the edges. This pour really reminded me of champagne with the way the head formed and fell and how the carbonation with a few lively streams of bubbles floats to the top.

S – Raspberry soda! Very fresh and fruity and sweet. I would never think that hops were used to make this framboise

T – Like the nose, this tastes like a fine raspberry Italian soda. Very juicy and sweet, with a somewhat tart and spicy finish that briefly burns the back of the throat going down. Fairly earthy with a great brett funkiness.

M – Medium bodied with champagne like spiky carbonation. A very refreshing summer beverage or dessert drink.

O – This was a real treat for me not having experienced many framboise’s. I can’t imagine any of them ever being better than this. Although this was a refreshing beer that usually means to me that its simple and drinkable, this had a rather complex taste and mouthfeel with a crisp yet refreshing flavor that I couldn’t get enough of, couple that with a 4% ABV and you have a very drinkable “beer.” I regret not trading for more than one bottle. I will definitely trade for this again.

3.59/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 6/5/11

Thanks to smurfbeer for a long-time want

Clear, burnt copper of moderate depth with crimson tones. The one finger head is tinged in dirty rose. Pleasant looking beer, though the foam is gone in but a few minutes. It follows that retention and lacing are pretty much nil.

A strong showing of raspberry is concentrated at the front of the aroma. Sweet, pureed raspberry especially. Beyond that are toasty notions of grains. A tad earthy with hints of hay and musty oak. The whole of the aroma levels as it warms; I like it better while cold.

I'm torn on the taste and feel. Tartness hits first, in moderation, but is followed by an intensely sticky, sweet raspberry presence. Way too sugary. Save for a down-played grain hint, other anything else is blanketed in raspberry sweetness and diminished by sugar. Thick, syrupy feel. Moderate carbonation is bogged down by the hefty feel.

I fully appreciate the application of the raspberries within the beer; it's most impressive in that the the berries actually come across as real, if not entirely fresh (at times it calls to mind concentrate). Many raspberry beers fall victim to an artificial characteristic that lessens the quality of the beer. Raspberry Tart doesn't have that problem but, man, it's out of control sweet.

This showcases a fine use of raspberries in brewing but the prospect of finishing the bottle by myself is daunting. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for quality craftsmanship but still, far too sweet for me.

4.21/5  rDev -3.4%

750 mL bottle courtesy of brees 6221, thanks Ben, I have been wanting to try this one for a long while now. Pours a raspberry brown color with decent clarity. Small and short-lived head, not much lacing.

Nose is raspberry sweetness (obviously), but also has a pleasant biscuity malt presence. Surprisingly beery aroma...might be the best smelling fruit beer I have ever had.

The amount of raspberry flavor packed in here is pretty amazing. So much tartness and fruit essence is impressive. Some grainy malt and light caramel give it the beery aspect it needs. I like the beer alot, but I cant help thinking how much better it might be with some lacto and brett. Would make a tremendous base for a sour ale, Flemish style!

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%

Definitely has a raspberry aroma with quite a tart quality to it. Almost puckering in the nose, if it were possible.

Starts off with berry sweetness, of course raspberries being in there but not really dominant...it's just fruity and berries. Pretty delicious. This gives way to a puckering tartness that tickles the tongue and causes me to salivate. Not really what I'd call a citric acid tartness, but more of natural, perhaps unripened fruit tart. There is also a note of oak from the barrells it's aged in.

Love it. Absolutely awesome and every bit as good as their Belgian Red.

3.95/5  rDev -9.4%

Thanks to GoldenVIKE for sending this one my way!

A-dark maroon almost brown. i had to pour vigorously to obtain a pinkish cream colored head that thins.

S-smells like belgian sugars with a touch of raspberry. its a faint but good scent.

T-when it enters the mouth my first impression is on how heavy and thick this is. the taste is of raspberry cream, but it isn't a strong taste. it has a grape vine aspect to it that reminds me of wine. the after-taste of is of burnt caramelized sugars. its a unique combination of flavors that will grow on you.

M-very heavy with a creamy medium carbonation with a crisp finish

O-my first impression of this beer was a let down, but the more I drink it, the more i started to love it. this is like an addicting candy that i can't put away. though this might be too sweet to drink all night. i wouldn't mind having a few bottles of this to share when friends come over for dinner though.

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle to flute.

Appearance: Pours about two fingers of creamy white head with hues of light red that fades after a few minutes leaving behind some very nice looking lace. Medium ruby red with a few lively streams of bubbles. Creates very vibrant tinges of red when held up to the light. Very elegant looking beer.

Smell: An instant burst of fresh, juicy raspberry floods the nose followed by very subtle and sweet caramel undertones.

Taste: A very tart but juicy raspberry burst that is washed away by a beautiful puckering Brett sourness and subtle earthy hop bitterness. Again, like in the nose, there is a slightly deeper caramel sweetness behind the tart raspberry, but the fruit definitely dominates.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied wheat creaminess hits the tongue but is instantly washed away by waves of carbonation.

Overall: This is a really awesome framboise that, as the bottle proclaims, offers tons of tart raspberry flavor. Also, there is a nice complexity that plays between the tart raspberry and the very subtle caramel undertones. Overall, very drinkable and delicious!

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

One of several bottles I received for my Birthday BIF month. This is thanks to zimmerbloke. Thanks, Matt!

Poured into a MJ tasting glass. Pours a clear, deep reddish hue, with a big, two fingered tannish head. Head drops rather quickly. Slight lacing.

Aromas of huge raspberry jam. And pretty much nothing else.

Flavors of huge raspberry jam, tart acidity. If there is a beer in there, you won't notice it. Finish is medium, with a huge raspberry aftertaste, and hints of raspberry seeds. Some lactic sourness.

Mouthfeel is medium, with some sticky fruit jam qualities, good level of carbonation.

Overall, dessert in a glass. Period.

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a clear red with brown hues coming through. Whatever head was there dissipates pretty quickly, but leaves some lacing behind.

Smells a bit like cherry 7-up and popsicles. Intense raspberry aromas with definite tart notes. Not much complexity, but compelling.

Taste is intense tartness up front, just ahead of a massive rush of raspberry. Finishes tart. The raspberry taste definitely tastes more like fresh crushed raspberries than any syrupy extract.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean and refreshing.

I probably wouldn't want mnore tha 6-8 oz of this, but itis very well made and would be perfect for brunch.

2.95/5  rDev -32.3%

From notes:

Received in a past trade with WilliamD. Thanks again Will, wherever you are.

Pours a very dark purplish plum/cherry red color with a thin pink foam head that quickly fades leaving no lacing.

Huge raspberry aroma with subtle oak and an overwhelming sweet sugary character. I know they use real fruit but it smells like artificialy flavored syrup.

Medium bodied with very soft, tight carbonation up front and a very sweet cloying raspberry flavor that dominates lingering into a slightly tart dry finish. There's a subtle earthy oak presence but again tastes mostly like artificial raspberry syrup. Just way too sweet and one dimensional for my taste.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a dark c-thru red with a minimum white head.

Smells - like a flat fruit soda or a Flintstones vitamin. Raspberry is present .

Taste - sooo tasty. Sweet raspberries up front with a small tart finish. No alcohol or hop taste.

Mouthfeel- some carbonation very easy to.drink

Overall - its good but hard to finish a bottle to myself. May just be too sweet from me.

Pours a deep ruby with a big fizzy head that quickly fizzes away. Aroma is fairly mild; raspberries, faint earthiness, and slightly musty. Flavor Is very sweet, somewhat tart, and earthy. Almost no beer-like qualities aside from a slightly toasted oats flavor. Well carbonated with a sweet finish. Really impressed with this beer; lived up to the hype.

4.62/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to burnheartsMKE for sending me this one!

Pours a semi-clear cranberry juice red with a tiny 1/2 light red head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. No lacing whatsoever. Smells of raspberries and raspberry puree in cherry/berry juice. There is a slight metallic odor I am getting too. Taste is awesome with sweet raspberries in a fruit juice cocktail. Very sweet yet slightly tart at the same time in a perfect balance. This is a highly carbonated beer that is very crisp and clean in the mouth. This is a delicious fruit beer all around and probably the best raspberry flavored beer I have ever had. Really refreshing and something I could drink a lot of in one night. I will seek out more of these for sure.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company