Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,036
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros

Pours a pink-ish red color with a small pink head. In the aroma, dry raspberry and a small sour funkiness. In the taste, sour raspberry and a dry pucker feeling. A small sour fruitiness in the mouthfeel and a dry sour raspberry aftertaste. Kind of like pie filling, nice sour and sweet fruit contrasts.

OWSLEY069, Jan 03, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

From my notes last night:

I got this bottle in a trade with Joe1510. Thanks Joe!

I poured it from 750ml waxed bottle and it's a beautiful ruby red with a good but fast receding head of pinkish foam.

The smell is an awesome nose of raspberry and a faint dose of wheat.

The taste is just as the name implies. Great big raspberry flavour just on the tart side with wheat floating in the background and a bit of yeast and perhaps wood. It's medium mouthfeel makes it a very succlent brew to drink and the carbonation is pretty spritzy which adds to the enjoyment. Man, I love this stuff. It's been too long since my last sampling..

The finish is all raspberry for me and it lingers on with a long aftertaste. Boy, am I happy I was able to get this in a trade...thanks again, Joe!!!

Bitterbill, Jan 01, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

A- Pours a lavender color with a light reddish head which stays quite a while leaving a little bit of lacing.

S- Smell is ridiculously fragrant, raspberry, sweetness and sourness all combined into one.

T- Taste is strong sweet raspberry with a sour afterthought. Could be considered cloying by some but it is perfect as a New Years Eve Night cap.

M- Fairly thick with quite a bit of carbonation.

D- This is definitely less than drinkable because of the extreme sweetness but under the right circumstances I would easily drink a couple champagne flutes of this awesome brew.

Lothore, Jan 01, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer is ridiculously good.

Purchased for a little under 8 USD, I had high hopes and those hopes were fulfilled... glad I bought two!

When pouring into a pint glass, it was so red, I had to double-check I wasn't pouring from my Kool-Aid container. Red as roses with a fluffy, pink head that almost made me want to grab a carnival straw and a scoop of vanilla ice cream from the kitchen.

OK... it looks amazing, so how does it smell? It was like I was at a roadside berry stand and fell, head first into the raspberry carton. My god, it was almost overwhelming, but since I'm such a sucker for raspberries, I was in heaven.

So, you would think after all the positive vibes I've been getting that the flavor would be at least on par? You'd be wrong... it was better! This is the most drinkable fruit beer I've ever had... it even tops the NGBR. It's low alcohol content makes this a potential three-gulper every time you bend your elbow, but you'll want to relish every sweet sip of this fantastic elixir.

Now it is big, so I can very easily recommend that you share with a friend. I drank this late at night and couldn't finish the entire bottle (a travesty I know -- but I got close!). As it can definitely be classified as a case of too much of a good thing, when it comes time to drink the last bottle, I'll make sure there's a buddy on hand. If not, I need to make sure I have a full hour available to tackle the sweet onslaught of one of the finest fruit beers I've had to date.

rudylaw, Dec 27, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

Dark turbid garnet in color with a smallish pink head that settles into a sudsy veil leaving delicate webs of faint pink lace.

Aroma is everything you love about fresh raspberries and intensified a hundred fold. Fresh, vibrant, clean and natural berry aroma with a touch of acidity and wood notes.

Flavor is a raspberry explosion. Full, sweet, powerful and wonderfully tart to keep the sweetness in check. Very natural and concentrated berry flavor. If you like Lindemand Framboise than you would friggin' love this!

Body is medium, playfully carbonated and slippey sweet. Infinately drinkable and I will pine for it until I am lucky enough to revisit this beautiful American fruit ale.

AlexJ, Dec 20, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -11.7%

750 ml bottle from brewery into one of their flutes.

A - Rather dark red color when help up to the light, with fleeting head.

S - Rapsberry is present, and lots of cream. Smells like yogurt, only on steroids. Tart and sweet.

T - Tastes like raspberries with sugar on them. Some lactic qualities were noted. Finishes quite clean. Textbook American fruit beer.

M - Not quite as crisp as I would have expected, but not watery by any means either.

D - I think more than a flute and a half of this would be too much for me, and I have a sweetooth. The 750ml size might be a little bit of overkill, but find four friends, and enjoy...

SammyDavisJrJrJr, Dec 06, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks to this 25oz bottle from umustdrink.

A: Red with a hint of brown. No head.

S: Sour raspberry. Really sour. Makes me get that sour-salivation reflex just from smelling.

T: It's raspberry, it's sour, and as a fruit beer I'm not sure I can get anything more than that, nor do I know if they intend for there to be more than that. But I was expecting a raspberry beer and I got it. The acidity is pretty high.

M/D: It's very spritzy but does have a certain smoothness to it, for a really light beer. The carbonation is very fine. I like sour, I can't take a certain amount of acidity though and this seems to be just around that line. Very good to drink a few ounces here and there, but I couldn't really see myself wanting much more than that.

MiScusi, Dec 02, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -9.4%

Got this in a trade with dirtylou, thanks for the opportunity.

Pours a cloudy reddish purple with a pinkish white head that disappears quickly. Smell and taste is raspberries, raspberries, raspberries. Mouth feel is a little sticky, syrupy with moderate carbonation. Has a tart bite to the aftertaste. Descent brew, kind of a mix between a beer and a wine cooler.

johnnnniee, Dec 02, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Brought this beer back from a recent trip to Madison. Awesome beer to drink on a Sunday afternoon (when you're recovering from a hangover) or as an aspertif. Pours a dark red into my wine glass. Smells of tart raspberries. Taste is the same. Wished that I could taste a little more of the hops to balance it out, but it is still very tasty. Mouthfeel is light, making this a very drinkable ale.

wardough, Dec 01, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep red color, almost opaque, with a thin fizzy pale rustic red head that is gone in a flash. The smell, while not being all that forward, is all about fresh raspberries. The mouth feel is well carbonated with a 'no apologies' tartness that is married with an offsetting sweetness that really puts the entire package well within my personal drinkability zone. I had all but sworn off Fruit/Vegetable Beers before sampling both New Glarus products. Full flavored, attention getting levels of sour character with pancake-topping levels of fruit flavor. That complexity alone is off the hook. At 4% ABV it's a really wonderful drinker.

jjayjaye, Nov 27, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Pouer from a waxed mag to a snifter, The liquid is blood red and had a light fizzy carbonation. The head is short lived but leaves some lace in it's wake. The bobbles are fine grained and lively.

The smell is of raspberry jam.

The taste follows, I opened this bottle for faamily and freinds on thanksgiving and all, beer drinkers or not said it was wonderful. As it is I am not sure it tastes like beer at all, but it sure is enjoyable. It tastes better then any raspberry dessert I can remember. Dry tart raspberries, only mildly sweetened, lip smaking good, Indeed.

The mouthfeel is like a sparkeling win. lighter bodied with i very small bubble, fizzy like carbonation. Good to be sure but less beer like.

The drinkability is very good, It continously calls you back for more.

Big thanks to the greatest trader, NFLMVP, Prosit MK

MuenchenerKindl, Nov 23, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed over the summer, during a lazy trip through Wisconsin, review is from notes. Large green bottle with that classy waxed top. Bottle shows no freshness or vintage dating. Pours dark amber, with a short lived head and only minor lacing to be observed. Fruity, smoky and SOUR nose. Pleasingly tart brew, not for everybody, but to my taste buds this stuff makes a fine desert brew for those of us into this type of creation. Rich raspberry notes. Tasty and well worth seeking out if in the Wisc. general area.

Billolick, Nov 13, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

11/11/07- Received via Jetsbeer in a trade.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with a nice red wax coating around the neck. Has a marking code on the bottom of the label, but I have no idea how to read it. I aquired the bottle in 2005 sometime I believe, so it's at the very least 2 years old. Poured into my Alesmith tulip.

Appearance- Very murky almost dark blood red pour. Looks like cherry cough syrup. About a 1/2 inch off white reddish head...semi-creamy. Head evaporates quickly and leaves very minor lace markings.

Smell- Nothing but fresh raspberries here. Seems like a bit of cherries as well. Seems like it may be fairly sour.

Taste- Wow, I thought it was going to be a sour style beer, but it turns out it was more sweet. Sweet in a very good way. Taste like an orchard of fresh strawberries and cherries as well. Very mildly hopped...which I was expecting more as it said it used hallertau hops (aged ones), which probably makes sense for the muted hop flavors. Wonderful sweet and lightly sour brew. The best frambroise (of the sweet variety) I have had. Doesn't taste artificial like most of them.

Mouthfeel- Thick and viscous, but not quite syrupy. Starts off with a mid range carbonation and ends with a very soft sparkle. Super coating and leaves a great fruity sweet aftertaste.

Drinkability- Wow, I wonder if this would have been better fresh. I would love to get my hands on another of these. Will have to get it via trade though. Hat's off to New Glarus!! Thanks for this one Steven.

GClarkage, Nov 12, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

750 ml waxed top bottle acquired in a trade with scoobydank, thanks a lot for giving me the chance to try this highly sought after beer, if that is what you want to call it, split this down the middle with my girlfriend tonight

Poured into my Trappist Westvleteren chalice with a dark reddish purple color with a small light pink head that faded away quickly, tons of carbonation, left some good lacing, looked more like a Welch's grape soda than anything else

Smell was dominated by you guessed it raspberries, not much else to it except a very strong sugary aroma

Taste was strong and this one seemed like it would have a lot more alcohol in it, so carbpnated it tasted more like a sparkling wine than a beer, had a sourness that could be compared to a light vinegar taste, very tarty making its name appropriate, the only other thing than raspberries I could taste was a little bit of caramel, this was a lot better than the last fruit beer I had

Could drink this entire bottle and then a little after that, very light even though the taste can be overpowering and too strong at times

Recommended even though it is expensive, I think about ten dollars a bottle, I am not generally a fan of fruit beers, but this one was good, not bad for my first New Glarus brew, still got a Wisconsin Belgian Red in the fridge, would drink again if I got the chance

Floydster, Nov 10, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a couple bottles of this one in a trade awhile back. I consumed some Belgian Red and loved it, was really excited about this one.

A: Pours a love sparkling ruby red color. There is a nice light pinkish white head that dies down. Lots of carbonation rising to the top if you can hold it up to light that is strong enough to penetrate this bold red beauty.

S: Wow tons of fruit come wafting from the glass. I don't think you could squeeze a hand full of raspberries and get more aroma than this one has.

T: Wow lovely. This is the nectar of the freshest purist raspberries. I have no idea how they have taken fruit juice and transformed it into something so nice. It is the perfect marriage of sweet and tart. I like a good bottle of wine, but would take this one over wine anyday.

M: Simply Sparkling.

D: Uh, yeah... It's just too bad I shared this one with friends. Not to be stingy, but its that damn good.

Overall: First of all I really like this one. The aroma and taste is subpurb. It is a finely crafted beer that everyone should search out. I actually like the Beligan Red just a tick better than this one, but that is not to slight this gem in any way. It is a wonderful beer more than deserving of its top 100 ranking.

tpd975, Oct 29, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +14%

Now lets talk a little bit about this one for a minute. I have been wanting to try this forever, and I just recently received not one, but two bottles of this brew. I really did not know what to expect going into it, but have heard it is simply outstanding. So needless to say the red wax coated 750 beckoned me from the start and I popped one open last night. Poured a very nice raspberry colored red with a small pink colored head and very nice carbonation visible throughout the session. The smell was rich with raspberry essence. Extremely strong so that nothing else could possibly come through. Now the flavor was to die for. I have never been the biggest fan of fruit beers in general, but this has just come to a whole new level. So sweet yet tart and sour at the same time, the flavor was so strong, yet not overpowering and not too sweet as to make you sick, it was in a word, perfect. It had the most perfect taste for this style I could have ever imagined. A great light body and great carbonation made it feel like water and there was just no hint of any kind of alcohol in this. This was by far one of the best brews I have ever had. I was raving mad about this all night long and easily killed the bottle myself. I just did not think anything could taste this good, this was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on as much as I could, I have to give it up here. This is one of the best drinks I have ever had, hands down, just wonderful. I would have to recommend this to everyone, go and get some!

mikesgroove, Oct 27, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a cranberry/raspberry crimson with a big frothy pink highlighted head that forms in cascading fashion and dies slow with lacing. Smells of juicy, ripe, delicious raspberries! Taste as it smells. Really nothing to say other than someone took some of the best raspberries, squeezed the juice out of them and somehow hid some alcohol in there. Makes you pucker in delight! I love sour stuff, I love beer, I love this beer. Thicker than I thought it would be in the mouth without much carbonation. An absolute delight, but drinkability is limited to being full, such as drinking a bunch of cranberry juice. Definitly worth a try.

franksnbeans, Sep 28, 2007

A dark red, almost bloody color with no head what so ever. It had a very strong odor of raspberries, go figure. The taste was powerful, very, very strong raspberry taste. The feel was kind of syurpy to me, but I don't drink many fruit beers. I would have this again, it is somewhat of a Kool-aid for grownups.

Homerbag, Sep 17, 2007
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a very cool dark ruby red with a pink tinged one finger head. The head fades fairly quickly to a thin swirling cap and ring, leaving behind a thin wispy lace.

Smell; there's a huge tart raspberry aroma, which is no surprise, but there's also a bit of a sweet sugary presence underneath that. Otherwise there's not much else going on in the aroma department.

Taste; as with the nose, and to be expected, there's big tart raspberry flavor. A little bit of some sweetness come through the tartness, as well as a mild hint of some caramel and cherries. The sweet and tart flavors seem to flow back and forth very nicely, and make this probably the best fruit beer that I've had so far.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, and leaves a thick coating in my mouth after each sip, and the drinkability is really good, as the beer is just disappearing before my eyes.

RedHaze, Sep 13, 2007
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Blood red color, carbonation bubbles all over the place. There is an inch of head, rosy pink in color. Huge chunks of lacing stick behind. This looks like it's going to be good...

The aroma is of course raspberry, but also noticed bits strawberry and touch of sugar.

The taste is great, with huge raspberry flavor. It tastes very much like champagne. Also notable are the bits of apples, grapes, oak in the flavor.

Light bodied with insane carbonation, slight pucker from the tartness of this. It tastes great, but it's too carbonated and tangy for me to drink lots of.

dogger6253, Sep 08, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Poured a dark red slightly foggy, and a reddish tinged off-white head that poured heavy but didnt last long, but left some mild lacing,

S- strong rasberries, bot very surprizing for the lb or so of it used per bottle, sweet smelling

T- a very strong sweet rasberry flavor that is balanced very well with the strong tartness very tasty

M- strong carbonation, light body, pretty acidic body for a drink

D- huge for a really tart drink

Atron67, Aug 21, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

sampled a couple times, never reviewed...cellared this one about 8 months at low temps since my Dec. trip to Madtown, let's see what happened

a: Poured into a flute type St. Louis lambic glass, I get a pink head atop a beautiful, deep ruby red body. Not much retention, but I guess there wasn't much to retain...a thin layer does remain.

s: This one absolutely must be allowed to warm a bit once out of the fridge. Mashed, dark red raspberries upfront...like the kind that are just about overripe and falling off the vine. A moderate tartness tempers the sugars of both the fruit and the malt. Not just raspberry, but a representation of the berry at its peak that showcases its full range of character from rich fruit to gently tart citric acid. In all likelihood, this should probably be a 5.0.

m: Carbonation on the lower end of the medium range, a very smooth compliment to the luscious medium body.

t: Wow. I was worried that the age might have done some damage, but no way...I think the raspberries and malt may have actually blended into each other a bit more. Delicious fresh raspberries and raspberry compote seasoned with lime juice. Holy shit this is good. Malt takes a far back seat to the fruit, but it provides a very important backbone of both body and flavor. Behind the fruit you can't taste the grain, but I can tell it's there. The grain also serves to mellow the tart quality of the citric acid, which I'm sure serves as a preservative. So much going on here, most all of it involving raspberry.

d: a pleasure for sure, the stickiness in the back of the throat is the only detractor

As it turns out, this one might be worth aging awhile...give it a shot if you're fortunate enough to have easy access. I'd love to do a side-by-side. A follow up with New Glarus revealed an expected shelf life of two years.

blackie, Aug 20, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

Simply amazing looking beer-betwen the deep reddish color and the beautiful pink head it is very hard to believe this is actually a beer. Simply gorgeous. Fruity and somewhat spicy aroma-I think the spiciness comes from thet heavy fruit more then anything. Big malt and fruit flavor-tart and sweet and very, very refreshing. The rasberry character really stands right out. For all the sweetness up front it finishes quite dry and tart. Great body for such a low abv beer. Overall what can I say-just a great, great beer. It is almost hard to call it a beer from the fruit flavor it has. I have to knock it down a hint for the simple fact that it comes across like a sparkling wine and I dont know if I could do it all night. Amazing stuff.

lackenhauser, Aug 19, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -14%

A gift from my girl, I saved this one for a relaxing afternoon. So came such an afternoon in August and I chilled my beer in the fridge. Upon opening the large pint plus sized bottle, I was bombarded with the smell of raspberries! And thus begins the review.

The appearance looks more like a deep red, almost burgundy, cider. The head is minimal and dissipates quickly leaving a light lacing of tiny, almost champagne quality bubbles where the brew meets the glass.

The smell is of course that of raspberries. It reeks of raspberries! It's lovely fruity aroma reminds me of raspberry preserves, though not as thick. This aluring aroma entices my sweet-tooth and prompts me to take a taste.

Attack of the sun ripened raspberries comes to mind. The flavor is a full-on assault of raspberry goodness. Every aspect of the flavor of a raspberry is there from its tart and tangy zing to its candy-like sweetness. And through it all, you can still register, mostly in the finish, the ale that this advertises itself to be. A tiny but of the bitters come through and mix with the standard berry tartness at the end to give this ale a dry, acidic finish.

The mouthfeel reminds me of that of a nice champagne, and in retrospect, the finish does as well though not as tannic. To expound upon this, the carbonation is constant and about the same as that of a cider. The dryness left at the end is very much the same as well.

This is an enjoyable, sweet beer. If I may say so, this would be the perfect end to a light summer meal served with some plain or walnut short-bread. Pair it with a salad or some crusty bread for a winning combo. I would definitely recommend this to friends and family though it would be a real hit with the younger crowd and many of the ladies.

HoppyBen, Aug 11, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Purchased from Flanagan's Stop and Shop, Appleton. Comes in a green 25 oz. bottle, very similar to a wine bottle. Capped with a conventional crown cap and sealed with wax. Beer was sampled at both 55 deg F and 45 deg F.

A: Poured a deep burgandy color with a thin pinkish head and some lacing. Athough the head was thin, retention was good.
S: Beer has a subtle but wonderful raspberry aroma. Aroma was stronger than expected at lower serving temperature.
T: Tart raspberry that has a wonderful balance of sweetness, tartness, and frutiness. Not at all cloying. Tartness highlights the raspberry flavor very well. I could barely sense a tannic note.
M: Not objectionable. In my opinion, not important for this beer.
D: Best enjoyed as a sipping beer.

Raspberry Tart would be a fantastic beer to accompany a meal. Would compliment many pork, and bold poultry dishes. I would not hesistate to serve this beer in place of wine, even to those who do not like beer. It would also pair well with many desserts (especialy chocolate).

theHarv, Jul 29, 2007