Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,062
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

Bottle poured into a New Glarus flute.

A-Pours a dark ruby red that is barely transparent when held of to the light. Little head that was white with a pinkish tint.
S- Fresh raspberries pretty much sums it up. There is a little sweetness in the smell. You can tell that these raspberries are the real thing and not an artificial syrup.
T- This is just heaven in a bottle. The balance of the sweet and the sour of the raspberry is spot on. Nothing artificial about this one.
M- One word, exceptional. The tart bite on the tongue mixed with the smooth sweetness is outstanding.
D- Although this is a "dessert" beer, I could drink this everyday. There is probably a reason why I make sure I always have a bottle of this on hand at any given time. Thank goodness I live in Wisconsin.

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had a relative driving through Wisconsin pick up four each of the Raspberry Tart and Wisconsin Belgian Red for me. My final bottle of each, and I finally am getting up the reviews.

Appearance- Pours a very nice dark ruby/crimson with about a finger of pinkish head. Pretty solid levels of carbonation, with some lacing down the side of the glass as I drink. Head settles down to some thin wisps on top of the beer.

Smell- What can I say more than freshh raspberries really? The raspberries are sharp and fresh smelling and there appears to be nothing artificial about them. Smells just like the name, a raspberry tart!

Taste- Again, an explosion of fresh raspberries initially. Also some earthy woodiness as well from the raspberries. Overall, very sweet but rounded out nicely with a tart aftertaste as the beer goes down.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Very appropriate, somewhat lively level of carbonation that is sharp on the tongue and makes for a good mouthfeel. Drinkability is high despite that it is a dessert beer, but in the end it is too sweet to have a whole lot by yourself.

Overall, a superb dessert beer by New Glarus that manages to uphold a delicate balance between sweet and tart. Doesn't taste artificial in the least and blows Lindeman's Framboise out of the water. Recommend it for a special occasion.

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Deep ruby red with sparkling champagne likes bubbles and a thin tan, pinkish head that disappears immediately.

S - Tart with fresh, juicy raspberries. The raspberries taste fresh right off the vine. Just a light touch of oak is found hidden in the raspberries.

T - Big juicy raspberry taste starting with sweet raspberries and changing to a lingering tartness.

M - Light and bubbly (champagne like mouthfeel) with a slight tart finish that lingers. The sweetness and tart provide an excellent balance.

D - One of the best fruit beers I have had. Very drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle split with the wife, received from Viggo - thanks for the treat man. Reminder to self: I owe him for this one!

Pours a pink hued ruddy red color with a head that looks like berry-juice soaked graham cracker crumbs. Has some staying power and leaves spots of lacing down the glass. Perfect.

Same as with the Belgian Red, it's all about the fruit. Fresh raspberries, sweet with a good handful of not-quite-ripe berries thrown in. Picked and squeezed into the bottle.

Taste has a nice tartness right off the bad, induces a
slight pucker and burst of excitement in the mouth. A boatload of raspberries follow, a light sweetness mingles throughout, a hint of lemons and perhaps just the teensiest bit of funk and earthiness. Spritzy carb but not overdone.

New Glarus has nailed this fruit style down and produced two fine, fine beers. I think I pick this one over the Red, seemed less sweet, a little more pucker, a little less cloying - though I still think a bottle to myself would be more than enough and I would need to move on to other things - I just feel like there could be another dimension added that would make this even better, a bit more funk perhaps. The marvel of it all, though, is how they pack so much flavor and keep it under 5%. World-class beer.

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Enjoyed a bottle of this last night while camping at Great Sand Dunes National Park. Pours reddish in color with light pink head. Smells and tastes like...raspberries. Like the Wisconsin Belgian Red, what makes this good to me is that it's not too sweet. Though this is less dry than the Belgian Red in my opinion. Mouthfeel is refreshingly high in carbonation - made for a perfect post-hike beverage. Could easily drink a whole bottle of this no problem.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Shared this with my wife, grandmother and aunt.

A - Ruddy, reddish brown, not much head. Ring stays until finish.

S - Cooked, but tart cherry/raspberries. Got to get me some.

T - Again, the fruit pie feel. Nice. Very wholesome and satisfying.

M - Good carb, nice balance, love the depth of the fruit.

D - Easy to drink and low ABV, I recommend!

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

thanks to brdc for the trade.

1pt 9oz green bottle, with dark red wax around the cap. no date found. tasted in mid-may 2009.

VERY dark, purplish red. actually almost opaque! but dark gemstone ruby, with clarity under direct light. 1-finger pink head, fades to wisps and ring, replenished by duvel tulip's etching. some nice, light pink lacing, relatively consistent.

aroma: rich raspberry aroma, almost jammy and preserves-like. faintest whiffs of vinegar, wood and funk.

taste: blast of fresh and preserved raspberries. tart indeed, but fresh and fruity, with just a note towards the vinegar. hint of wood. quite sweet, but balanced by the acidity. some malt detectable underneath.

light to medium body, with lots of acidic texture, accentuated to moments of sharpness by the otherwise mild to moderate carbonation.

a bit too straightforward, without other complexities showing through strongly enough. still, it is what it is - a great fruit beer.

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Huge thanks to schmittymack for this one! Poured from a wax topped 750 mL bottle into a champagne flute. Served cold.

A- Pours a dark maroon with three fingers width of white head (also had pinkish hues). When held into light clear, blood red color emerges.

S- Strong aroma of ripened raspberries. A delicate sweetness is also detectable along with a bit of oak.

T- Like the aroma, there is a raspberry explosion right off the bat. Throughout the each sip there is a wonderful balance between the sweetness from the fruit and the tartness it provides. The beauty of this beer is that the tartness has enough of a presence to keep the sweet fruit taste from becoming overbearing.

M- Leaves a tart, semi-dry mouthfeel. Nice amount of carbonation.

D- This beer is insanely drinkable. My wife had one glass and I had the rest. I can't tell you how fast this bottle was emptied.

Overall, every now and then I get in the mood for a nice fruit beer, this hits the spot. Without a doubt, New Glarus has mastered this style. Raspberry Tart and Wisconsin Belgian Red are among the elite when it comes to fruit/vegetable beers. Thanks again Dan!

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

75cl bottle courtesy of photomike. I just want to start by saying that I can't imagine a fruit beer smelling better than this. Every time that I put my nose in the glass, a huge smile crept over my face. I love raspberry jam, and this smelled like just about the best raspberry jam ever. I have no idea how they got such a vivid and intense aroma into this beer. There is a great mix in the flavor of sweet fruit and tartness that keeps the sweetness from overrunning the drinkability. I have to day that I can't imagine the flavor keeping me captivated for ever like the aroma, but this is a superbly done fruit beer in every aspect.

2.33/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

750ml bottle. Thanks Adam! Pours a slightly hazy, dark red-brown with a fluffy, pinkish head that dies after a bit. Pungent aroma of raspberries; very, very sweet. Sour notes become more noticeable as it warms. Taste is a rush of sugar and fortified raspberry. Cloying, actually. Acidity comes through to balance it a bit, but still finishes very sweetly. Raspberry Tart is a pretty fitting name for this one. The feel is light-medium, but awfully syrupy. As much as I wanted to like this one, it's just too sweet...couldn't actually finish it.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from the waxed 750 mL bottle into a champagne flute.

The beer poured a deep, sparkling red, that looked ruby clear in the light. There was a thick, creamy, pink head that faded rather quickly and left a little lacing.

It smelled, of course, like raspberries. Fresh, sweet, ripe, juicy raspberries. The aroma actually started to make my mouth water.

The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth, like a good champagne. Very light.

The taste started with sweet raspberries, and finished with tart raspberries. Not sweet to the point of feeling artificial, and not tart to the point of puckering, just a good burst of flavor that lingered well after the finish. It's a delicate balance that's pulled off exceptionally well.

This is a beer that I find to be really good, but I tend to buy it more as a novelty than an everyday brew. I pick these up all the time as gifts, or to share, but very rarely get one for myself, although I really enjoy it every time I have it.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Received in trade from Darklordlager been wanting to try this for awhile.

A Poured a dark cherry red hue into my glass.

S - well strawberries nice and fresh.

T - Well done I think the name and what this beer is trying to do here is excatly what it does. Definately nice fresh tart stawberry taste.

M - the tartness make the mouth sting some again leaving a lasting strawberry flavor behind.

D - Drinkability is good my wife really liked this one as well. Easy to drink although I think the tartness of the taste would only to have one at a session but at the same token if I wanted something of this style would not hesitate to drink.

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Oh yeah . . . great thanks go out to HogWildLiquor and TPatuto for hooking me up with these bottles. Been eyeing this stuff for a very long time. 750 shared between myself and my lady. Served up in tulips.

A: Very interesting color off the pour. At first glance, it appears almost brown when the body is thickest. Held to the light, a very dark purple/red color coming out (basically the color of a raspberry). THe head is a very muted, cream, pink color. The head was about a finger off the pour but it fell apart pretty quickly. All lace slips back into the top cap, no real stick. Very interesting and unique.

S: Very nice and so blatantly the smell of raspberries. Very much like a cold fruit parfait. Little bit of cream coming across mixed with dark and very cold fresh raspberries. Little bit of sugary syrup mixing very nicely with the tart/sour aroma. This is pretty much right on if I got a flat of fresh raspberries, crushed them lightly and took a big whiff. Damn.

T: Right on, New Glarus. Right on. This is like eating a fresh bowl of raspberries. Just tart enough, nothing too crazy. It just gives you enough of a balance between sweet and tart. It does have that raspberry pie or tart type flavor. Light touch of breadiness ever so light in the back ground. Then a touch of cream sweetness. Maybe like a strawberry shortcake cup made with raspberries instead. Light on the whipped cream and cake crumbles, but heavy on the fruit. This is blissful. This is dessert but its also fresh and clean. Very impressive.

M: Light to medium in feel, but not watery in the least. Incredibly juice like. Crisp and cool with a medium carbonation. Just tart enough on the feel. Incredibly refreshing. Aftertaste is just a ton of raspberries, after all that is what dominates here.

D: Well, my girlfriend killed her half of the bottle in about 10 minutes all while asking for more. I was a bit more reserved but it was difficult to be so. This is incredibly fresh and clean for fruit beer. It just seems amazing as far as it falls in the fruit beer realm. Easy drinking, amazing smell, great taste. What else do you want from a beer? Incredibly well done and almost exactly what I was expecting. Simply amazing.

3.93/5  rDev -9.9%

A - ruby red with a decent head and a ton of lacing.

S - fresh raspberries - smells like a fruit dessert cup

T - This, as its name implies, is very tart, with raspberry with a little bit of wheat. Not uberly complex, but it is sweet and enjoyable. Makes for an excellent dessert framboise.

M - very full body and the carbonation tickles your tongue and throat as it goes down. This has a very dry finish.

D - 3.5 - it is hard to drink a lot of this because it is so sweet and tart. It is another excellent fruit beer made by New Glarus but I have to say I like the Belgian Red better from them.

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into my Lindemans campaign type flute.

Pours only 1/2 fingers of a dulled down pink colored head. Not the best retention or lace. Color is a very unique. The color is basically that of a raspberry. Red mixed with a magenta pink.

Aroma: Big surprise here, but I get a fresh raspberry aroma. A nice fresh fruity taste, but that is all I am really getting here. I like it, but I can't say I am too impressed.

Taste: This beer seems to be pretty straight forward to me: Raspberries and tartness, just like the bottle suggests. This beer really makes the lips pucker. Really can't taste any type of alcohol here. It tastes a lot like a juice.

Mouthfeel: Very sweet and tarty. This is a nice puckering beer. Medium bodied, surprisingly filling. Has a good amount of carbonation. Ends with a clean raspberry flavored aftertaste.

Overall, I am very impressed with this beer. It is surprisingly a big beer with a lot of flavor for how low the abv is. 4%??? That is crazy. I really like it, but I wish the nose would have been a little more flavorful. This beer is definitely worth a try. I had a hard time finishing the last 6 ounces of my bottle.

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

I had this in the middle of a tasting, but it stood out so much that I thought I would review it.

The beer pours a nice reddish-purple color, with a kind of thin off white, maybe pink colored head. It's just a little hazy, but nice looking. The smell is very nice. Fruity and deep, not only raspberries, but also some other ripe fruits, an assortment, but the raspberries really stand out. There's also a kind of powdery malt presence, very light, a good sweetness, maybe a little bit of bread. There's also a good balance of tartness to go along with the sweetness. Very interesting. The taste really comes through well with the raspberries. You just get a mouthful of berry, almost like they're fresh-picked, a good juicy sweetness, a wonderful tartness. There not sweet and overripe tasting, but not green. The fruitiness is not really the least bit artificial. And there's also a nice powdery pilsener malt presence, not biscuity or bready, but just nice. The mouthfeel is nice, especially for 4.0%. It's kind of medium, and the sweetness makes it a bit fuller, but then that's balanced and toned down by the tartness. Really nice, and not like cough syrup. The beer is very enjoyable, and at a low enough ABV that it won't hurt you too badly. Though, I'm sure you would have some trouble drinking a bunch of it because of the intense fruit presence. I would definitely buy it more if I could, and the price was not bad, at maybe $8-9 for a 750. Definitely recommended.

4.1/5  rDev -6%

It is somewhat difficult to review to style on something of a catch all style, so I will try my best with this one. One of my few remaining top 100 that I have in my cellar, been sitting on this for a while. New Glarus' Belgian red was fantastic, and this one gets similar love. I hope it gets similar love from me. Here we go!

Look is something like a cranberry or grape juice which looks good. I am going to penalize it a bit for the lack of head retention and lacing, but otherwise no problem with the appearance here.

Scent is, no surprise here, very strong sugary raspberry. A slight bready scent as well. Good, but one dimensional. It's difficult to not judge this against wild ales which would be penalized for not having a bit more to it, but this is exactly what it says it should be.

Taste however is very very good. I don't even like raspberry, but I like this. Not cloyingly sweet or sour, a pleasant (surprise) raspberry burst that has some candy character. Very good but just a little too rich, so rich that I will probably not be able to kill the bottle in one sitting.

Mouth is great, syrupy and bubbly. That is to say it's thick, which again would seem off in a wild ale or lambic, but works here.

Overall I'm going to come in slightly below the average rating on here, but this is a very good beer. Given the option I am going to opt for it's Belgian Red brother every time, but this is still a damn good beer.

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Served in tall champagne flute. Rich, dark ruby red... small pinkish head with minimal retention and mild lacing.

S: Delicious, tart and sweet raspberries. Thats about it, but thats good enough for me!

T: Delicious, I knocked it down to a 4.5 because the taste isn't quite as complex as the nose... perhaps its limitations of the tongue, but its still excellent. The greatest part is the naturalness to the flavor... Its not candy sweet. Nothing artificial at all. Just fresh raspberries.

M: Medium bodied, with a nice carbonated zip. Not quite champagne, but more so that beer.

D: Superb. A very nice beer. Many thanks to mnjeff for the trade!

3.8/5  rDev -12.8%

750 ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear but deep maroon color. The pour produces one finger of light pink head that quickly receeds and leaves no lace.

A: Raspberries all the way with this one, what else would you expect. There is a distinct earthiness similer to the Belgian Red. Some sweet syurp, and grassy hops come in as well.

T: Taste again is all raspberries. The earthy hops, and sweet malts are noticeable, but the sweet berries are what this beer is about. It finishes dry and tart.

M: Very good amount of carbonation, gives this medium bodied beer a little bite at the back end.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is low for me, due to the overpowering sweetness and strong raspberry taste. Overall, I like this one about equally as much as Belgian Red. Very good desert beer, but not one I would session. Good, not great. Skal.

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

Chilled 750mL into a glass. Courtesy of a trade with badbeer. Thanks Mike!

A: Pours a deep, but clear, burgundy red in my glass. It generates 3 inches of voluminous white head with a light pink tinge to it. The foam retreats quickly into a thin line on top of the brew, but it leaves streaks of lacing down the glass while I drink.

S: It smells like someone crushed ripe raspberries and squeezed them directly into my glass. There's some cherry tartness underneath.

T: Hugely tart, as in the nose. Raspberries from start to finish, although the cherry I smelled in the nose makes an appearance toward the end, along with the lightest hint of bread / grain and nuts.

M: Light-bodied, moderately carbonated. It feels like soda, but it's not nearly as syrupy, and the carbonation is enough to cleanse the palate and let me finish off the entire bottle by myself. This is an amazing accomplishment for a fruit beer, as I rarely have one that I can finish more than a few ounces of.

D: Very, very high. While I'm not a huge fan of lambics in general, I appreciate the craft that went into this one. It was an enjoyable beverage.

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to KeefD for this incredible beer!

A: Gorgeous blood ruby red with a bit of purple head that sticks around as a ring throughout the many pours from this bottle.
S: Super tart and fresh raspberries on the nose--these aromas just exploded out of the pour.
T: Tongue-tickling tart raspberries are both refreshing and decadent. Other than raspberries, not much else is pulling through, but the zing of raspberries is exactly what I expected and, thus, what I wanted from this beer. A little bit of different kinds of dark fruit, but I can't quite put a name to the flavors.
M: Medium body with high carbonation, which helps to leave tart little residuals behind on the tongue.
D: A great beer to cool off with and a fine drink to serve to guests in champagne flues with a dessert.

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

As soon as I started my car for the trip up to my cabin in northern Wisconsin, I new I was stopping somewhere to get some NG Wisconsin Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart. So glad I did.

The bottle looks like a champagne bottle, but it is capped with no cork and is waxed. I wonder how old this bottle is, not that I care very much. From what I can tell, they are all waxed so it has nothing to do with age.

Pours a raspberry redish purple with a pinkish champagne like head that fizzles into a small film quickly, but leaves little traces around the glass.

The nose on this one is amazing. Look, I consider myself very masculine, and I know more than one person that would consider this a "chick" drink. I don't even care, this is one of the best tasting things (not beers, things) I've ever tasted. I'm a huge fan of raspberrys and this one doesn't disappoint. The nose is pure bliss, raspberry heaven in a glass.

The taste is everything I had hoped and dreamed. Sweet and tart raspberrys with a puckering sourness that I love oh so much. This is real raspberry taste, not that artificial shit that you get in soda. This is the real deal, and I can't get enough of it.

Mouthfeel is very pleasant. The tartness of the raspberrys pairs well with the carbonation and light - medium body. Drinkability is very high, but slow down, this one feels like it would give you gut rot if you slammed it. But please don't slam it, sip and savor. Thats the ticket.

Well New Glarus, you got me. If I never live in Wisconsin, a good portion of my life will be spent driving there. Once again, New Glarus, you seize to amaze me.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from 750ml into New Belgium Globe Glass.

A. Poured a 2 finger pinkish hued white head. Decent lacing left. Nice collar of foam remains for entire glass. Dark ruby red color.

S. Sour raspberry/strawberry fruit smell. Faint malt smell.

T. Up front is pure sweet delicousness. Almost like drinking raspberry puree. Has a slightly tart finish.

M. Light/medium bodied. good carbonation.

D. Very drinkable. This is one of the best fruit beers I have had. Very delicous.

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Crowned-and-waxed 750 ml bottle, courtesy of MrFacto. Thanks, Matt!

Chilled, decapped and poured into my little Delirium Tremens tulip, Raspberry Tart is clear, reddish-copper in color, and capped with a finger of pink-tinted, fine-bubbled foam. The head is soft and quickly relaxes into a bubbly skim that freckles the glass with numerous little wispy blobs of lacing.

The aroma is sweet/tart and loaded with strawberry/raspberry/red fruity goodness. From two feet away the floral perfume of freshly-picked and mondo-juicy berries tickles my nose as I type this. The fruitiness is reinforced with a sweet, lightly-toasted graininess that adds heft, depth, and richness to the profile.

The taste is sweet and tangy with loads of juicy red-berry sweetness. A note of mellow, nutty yeast complements the sweet/tart berry-blast perfectly, and is probably the only indication that the drink in my hand isn't just some succulent little fruit juice cocktail. Crisply tart in the finish, the light-bodied, mildly-carbonated brew is almost soda pop-like, amazingly non-alcoholic in flavor, and highly, highly quaffable until the sweetness grows too noticeable. An incomparably excellent berry beer.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Again, a beer I had last night that I didn't want to sit and scribble notes about (that's sometimes not the most social of things to do), but I did want to record some thoughts on it so I know to try this gem again in the future.

Magenta pour with an off-white pinkish head. Kinda elegant. Remarkably fresh raspberry puree aroma - I mean this smelt like the real deal. Perhaps it coulod have done with a bit more beer profile, but for a fruit beer it does tick the correct boxes. Wonderful balance between a sugary sweetness and a fruit tartness in the flavour with the raspberries present throughout. Complex and deep. Smooth mouthfeel.

This is a delightful beer. Cheers Troy for cracking this beaut.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company