Raspberry Tart - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raspberry Tart Alström Bros
Reviews: 907 | Hads: 3,512
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to Cooperrip for sharing this bottle with me.
Poured into non-descript brandy snifter.
Poured a hazy, bloodied-raspberry purple. Minimal pinkish head with some slight lacing .
Aroma of fresh raspberry puree. Quite sweet on the nose. Reminded me of a Flintstone raspberry sherbet push-up from when I was a kid. Man I love those things.
Taste of fresh raspberry puree. Quite sweet on the tongue with some tartness for a decent balance.
Really, it's a medium carbonated raspberry puree in a bottle.
No hops, no malt. Just raspberries. Medium mouthfeel, and a bit cloying. Quite tasty, but I don't think I'd be able to drink an entire bottle myself.

3.15/5  rDev -27.4%

pours a deep rapsberry color. it almost looks a a raspberry smoothie. it is very thick looking. head disapates rather quickly. leaves some lacing.

smell is of very tart raspberries.

taste is of chocolate and coffee...wait no...i am just kidding. it is very tart and very rapsberry-ish

i don't think i need to go on much further.i think you get the idea here. RAPSBERRIES!!! this is not a beer for people that don't like fruit type beers.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Another winner from New Glarus. Being a fan of their Spotted Cow and Wisconsin Belgian Red, I had to give this one a try. It is another tasty beer from this brewery.

Appearance: This beer pours a purple-red raspberry color with a similarly colored head.

Smell: The aroma of this beer is heavily laden with raspberries as you might expect.

Taste: The flavor is also heavy with raspberries. The flavor is not a traditional "beer" taste, but that is not a downfall. The raspberry sweetness and tartness are natural, not syrupy.

Mouthfeel: Relatively light in mouthfeel, it is appropriate for the flavoring of the beer.

Drinkability: While I like the Wisconsin Belgian Red better, this is a very tasty beverage. It is one to break out for a special occasion.

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

The first thing that will catch your attention with this beer is the amazing smell. It smells like raspberry jam, but with a wheaty hint to it. It's quite sweet, but not in the same way as fruit flavored malt beers. Its a much more natural kind of sweetness and so it not over powering even for those who are not too keen on sweeter beers.

1.82/5  rDev -58.1%

Absolutely the most disgusting looking beer I have ever poured into a glass. A strange combination that looks like some sort of off purple mudd. A very light amount of carbonation to let you know that it is beer, but just barely.

Smells exactly like a bowl of raspberry Ice Cream, probably the highest quality of this beer.

Taste is a very sour raspberry flavor, no real beer flavors in a normal sense to speak of, no hop prescence no malts detectable at all.

Mouthfeel is suprisingly thin for a beer that looks so thick.

Drinkability is terrible, taste more like a bad can of sour raspberry soda than beer. I don't think I would even call it beer. Couldn't even finish it.

3.84/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a murky, very opaque beet red with no head. Looks like vegetable juice of some sort...

Smell: 100% fresh, tart raspberries. Nice.

Taste: The name says it all. Big time fresh raspberry flavor that is more tart than it is sweet, which I like. It really doesn't taste like beer at all. I don't think there is anything else to pick up in the way of flavor... It's like getting punched in the mouth by a bunch of fresh raspberries!

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy and the sweetness/tartness is a bit much at times. Very sour aftertaste that leaves the mouth very dry and kinda sticky.

Drinkability: Hard to drink more than a sip at a time. Too thick, sweet and tart to drink more quickly, but I don't think this beer was intended to be more than a sipper.

Nice dessert beer. You might want to find someone to share a bottle with, it is a bit too sweet and tart for me to take down a whole bottle. If you live in the area, it's worth picking up.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Another nice beer supplied by DirtyLou.

Poured a blood red in color with a pretty pink head that receded to around the edges of the glass. Actually poured kind of like syrup.

Nose is all raspberries. Very sweet.

Flavor is an even bigger whallop of what I got from the nose. V ery sweet raspberries that quickly becomes tart. Very cloying flavor that never really recedes.

Feels like my tastebuds are standing up. A bit puckering but too sweet for it to be over the top. Bit syrupy.

Great beer, but the whole bottle was awfully tart for one person alone.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

The not as famous cousin to the New Glarus Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart lives up to its name. Pouring a dark ruby red, opaque, the color looks like dark cherry jello with whipped topping almost completely stirred in. The smell is fruity, but more than raspberry--sour note reaches up and grabs your nose. Even, smooth lambic taste, but it stays in the front of the mouth. The complexity of the beer is narrow compared to a good lambic, but far superior to the average fruit beer that dumps a fruity taste that floats on top of a beer , like drinking an unstirred long island ice tea. Compared this to a locally made raspberry wine, and hold to my contention that beer is more complex and satisfying than wine. Great beer to bring to friends--everyone from neophyte to beer geek will love it.

Go out of your way for this beer. We generally get four bottles of New Glarus at a time when in Wisconsin: Three Belgian Reds and one Raspberry Tart.

4.29/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer has been in my cellar for over a year, so I am hoping that there has been a bit of an increase in the tart. Let's see...

Appearance: Poured aggressively to give about a quarter inch of dense pink bubbles. The beer looks pretty cloudy with only a few bubbles rising. The head was almost all gone in less than a minute.

Aroma: Rich aroma of apples. Just kidding...the raspberries rule the aroma. It smells rich and syrupy like a Lindeman's Framboise does.

Taste: The raspberries almost rule the flavor before the beer passes your lips. It is really rich, and has a massive raspberry presence. After you get past the raspberries, and their characteristic cheek puckering, you do get a bit of sourness in this beer. I don't notice the Hallertau hops anywhere in here. As it warms a bit, the flavor takes on a bit more of an earthy note...but still ruled by the berries.

Opinion: This is a really nice beer, and one that has no trouble competing with the raspberry offering from Lindeman's. You have to respect the brewer that can get this much berry flavor in a beer. The tart component is as much a part of the natural astringency of the berries, as a soured fermentation. The sourness is reserved and plays a supporting role. These over-the-top fruit beers are nice, but not necessarily my favorite because it is almost like having a fruity drink with vodka or something. That is just my opinion, and that said, I would absolutely still recommend this beer!

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

I'm reviewing this simultaneously with the Lindemans Fram-bwaz, raspberry vs. raspberry.

Raspberry Tart is a turbid, raspberry puree-looking liquid. Not a whole lot of head or lacing. Think tomato juice, only with raspberries instead of tomatoes. It smells like candied raspberries, as opposed to the Lindemans' fresh raspberries. Still good, just not quite as good, and I don't think it smells nearly as strong as its cousin, the Wisconsin Belgian Red.

Taste isn't even all that sweet, and has an uncomfortable vegetable character lurking underneath. You can actually tasted some toasted maltiness in the finish.

Heavy, full mouthfeel is a little off-putting, though I guess this supposed to be more "beery" than a lambic.

Maybe I just don't like raspberries as much as cherries, because I liked the Belgian Red much more than this. Then again, I liked the Lindemans Fram-bwaz more than either, so perhaps Raspberry Tart is the weak link in New Glarus' fruit beer chain.

4.74/5  rDev +9.2%

I was at the New Glarus brewery a few weeks ago and picked this up. I've had the Wisconsin Red before (their cherry beer) but hadn't had this one yet, and being a raspberry lover I just had to try this one.
I'm glad I did! This is one of the best fruit beers I have ever drank! No taste of raspberry "syrup" here. It is all real raspberries. Color is a cloudy deep redish magenta. Kind of strange at first, but I really liked the color. Minimal head, but beautiful lacing as it quickly fell. Aroma is all about raspberries, with just a hint of grain in the background and just the lightest essence of wood, from the large 3000 gallon barrel it is aged in. The flavor is the best I have ever had from a fruit beer. Sweet, but with a powerful tartness to balance it. Just enough of the malt comes through to let you know you are still drinking beer, but this is definately all about the raspberries.
Again, I have to repeat, this is one of the best fruit beers I have ever drank! It's a great beer, and one that goes down quickly any time, but especially on a nice warm day just after mowing the lawn.

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Bring on the raspberries and brown sugar! That's what I get in the nose. Fresh hot bowl of oatmeal delivered fresh to your nose with dallop of caramelized brown sugar and a heaping of fresh raspberries.

A deep burgundy/purple color, it almost looks like a Shiraz.

Very low hop flavor; this beer is dominated by sweetness. It lends a cloying and viscous mouthfeel, one that does not sit very well with me.

I love the complexity and uniquness of this beer, but it tastes too much like a wine cooler for me to love. I just can't handle all of the fruit. I'd love to see a hopped up version of this beer. But hey, I'm jaded!

4.29/5  rDev -1.2%

Much thanks to hopdog for sharing this one. I've wanted to check this one out for a while.
Appears a dark crimson colored cranberry with a small white head. Little spots of white lacing are left behind.
Smell is of big ripe ripe raspberries. Not that I was expecting otherwise, of course.
Taste is of tart raspberries, along with a touch of cranberries. Similar to a lambic but much more refined and sweet.
Mouthfeel is smooth, sweet, and tart, making for an interesting brew.
Drinkability is good. I think I would still take the Belgian Red over this one but it definitely gets the job done.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Big thanks go out to cmaruschak for the chance to sample this rare Wisconsin gem.

Appearance: Pours out a deep crimson colored raspberry (go figure!) color. It kind of looks like old tomato juice. Not the color but the consistency. It kind of leaves some pithy residue along the side of the glass. No visible head noted but a nice ivory lacing rings the glass.

Smell: Pure rapsberries. Pretty much everything you would expect. Definitely on the tart side of things. I'm sorry but I have no other words to describe this. Pretty much like sticking your head in a big pile of raspberries.

Taste: Follows smell directly. Lip puckering goodness. All raspberries with that pucker effect that kind of makes the roof of your mouth feel like it's going to cave in. Really enjoyable but I get no other taste/flavors other than raspberries.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied. Just a brush of carbonation. Again, that pithy tart residue kind of clings to your palate. Pretty interesting.

Drinkability: I can't imagine throwing down a whole bottle of this by myself. Definitely one to share or one to savor. Would have been outstanding with some dark chocolate. Wouldn't scratch the beer itch for me on a regular basis but definitely a great brew and a welcome change of pace. Outstanding indeed!

4.73/5  rDev +9%

This was the gem of a box sent to me by a friend visiting the midwest. Cracked it open last night with a good friend early in the evening.

Far from the chrystaline sparkle promised on the bottle, this looked like very fine raspberry puree. Not lumpy, but thick and opaque. Pretty color, even that was muted. This is the only area where this one gets dinged.

I didn't know what to expect from this, flavor wise, but as soon as it hit my lips: oh, a framboise lambic! Compared with Lindeman's, this is a much fuller flavor all around. The initial tang made me jerk my head back, but after a brief recovery period, it was smooth sailing from there on out.

While it looked thick, it was quite smooth in the mouth. Not overly heavy, but it did have some weight to it, allowing the tartness to come through without being astringent.

If I had more than one bottle of this, I would be drinking it every day.

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

It was a good day the day I had this beer. Knuckles showed up at my house in Worcester with a car-load of amazing beer from all over the U.S. We drove down to Cape Cod, sat out on the deck, and sampled about 10 different beers. This was one of them.

Pours a deep cloudy purple-red. Nice bright purple highlights when held to the light. Pinkish head of tiny champagne bubbles.

Nose is strong raspberries (what a surprise!). Almost too strong, but entirely fresh and inviting. Bright and lively.

Whoa raspberries. The taste is an explosion of raspberries. Pure clear flavor. The first few sips make me want more, but not long after, this starts to get a little old. Now don't get me wrong. This is just a fantastic beer, but I couldn't see myself drinking a lot of this.

Overall a very well-crafted and delicious beer. I highly recommend trying it. Probably, though, this isn't a beer that you'll be drinking a lot of in one sitting.

3.68/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark purple color with a small pink head that left light lacing on the glass. Aroma of straight raspberries, very intoxicating. Sour raspberry taste, also very sweet, with grape peel and some acidity. Obviously given the 4%, no alcohol noticed here.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

appearance: sparkling ruby, creamy pink head. quite interesting, is this beer or what?

smell: in your face ripe raspberry, smells familiar like some sort of fruit drink or smoothie or something of that nature. quite frankly, it smells good

taste: tart as hell, explosive raspberry flavor, very familiar taste. quite refreshing and a good way to start the evening

mouthfeel: quite carbonated, bubbly

drinkability: half of a 750ml bottle was plenty for this guy

compared to its competitors, this is a work of art

4.89/5  rDev +12.7%

Bottle: Poured a deep red color fruit beer with a nice bubbly pink head with minimal retention. Aroma of fresh sweet raspberries is just incredible and I could spend days just sniffing in my glass. Taste consisted of sweet fresh raspberry (not the chemical syrupy raspberry that are commonly used in fruit beers), slight tartness and a light acidic finish. It’s a shame that I cannot obtain this beer more regularly over here.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottle generously provided by Orbitalr0x, super-huge thanks for the opportunity! Hard pour gets the tiniest ring of pinkish bubbles around the inside of the glass. Appears super-dark ruby red...as if it's made of blackberries, not raspberries. Smells...all about raspberries. It's very intense. I've only smelled raspberries like this on two occasions; 1) raspberries fresh off the plant...tasting wild and woody; 2) thick raspberry goo dripping from a chocolate raspberry cake I once had at a very posh resturant. Woody is a great way to describe the raspberries...I wonder if this beer has lotsa tannins from raspberry seeds. Now for a first taste...tart and really rich potent raspberry. Sweet start and dry finish. Raspberry pop tart insides have a flavor this sour, but not as intense and not anything near as fresh berry-like. Wow, this beer is incredible and puts the Kuhnhenn raspberry beer to shame. Cranberry sour and lemon tart. Citric acid tart dry finish with an aftertaste of raspberries that just hangs around forever. The bottle is correct, there is no need to wait for dessert. This is dessert. Pair this with a thick rich chocolate cake (no, not a light and fluffy cake, a thin rich cake so dense with butter it appears like a brownie-like slab of chocolate). Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Though md, the carb seems sharp, amid the raspberry tart. This is not a complex beer, but this is liquid raspberries in a bottle like I never could envision someone ever capturing. Amazing.

Murky raspberry red/brown colored body. Head is very creamy and has good retention until eventually settling to a smal pink layer on top of the beer. Smell is pure raspberry, with a little bready wheat to smooth it out. Very sweet smelling and tasting. Very tart tasting, a swirl of sweet, ripe raspberries, followed by a little hoppiness to finish the experience. Magnificent dessert beer, I can not think of a better Fruit/Vegetable beer. Perfection in a bottle.

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

Presented in a 12 oz. brown bottle. No freshness dating available, though there is some quick discussion on the front label itself touting its desert beer status.
Poured a deep dark red. Almost opaque. The head died quickly with no lacing.

This one is a nosefull. Humongous aroma of fresh to overly ripe raspberries. Fermented and acidic. Aroma is fresh and natural.

WHAM!!--Acidic and tart, cheek-clenching raspberry flavor. Perhaps the wheat base is in there somewhere, but I was enjoying the raspberry goodness too much. It must be though, as the sugary malt seems to have leveled out what you could imagine to be a very sour beer.

Mouthfeel was medium, but buoyed by a hefty carbonation. The raspberries linger in your mouth afterward. Nice and drinkable, though I would prefer to have it either with a nice fruit tart or hefty chocolate cake.

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a blood-red ruby into my glass. No light is escaping here. A quick, fizzy head fades quickly.

Aroma is fresh, FRESH raspberries. So fresh, in fact, it snapped me right back to picking raspberries with my family in our backyard, a summer tradition. There is a very clean undertone of acid, which just balances the sweet fruit. Very nice.

Taste is an explosion of fresh fruit, a torrent of flavor and sensation. The natural acid of the raspberry, combined with the spontaneously fermented wheat beer base, puckers the cheeks in just a bit. Soon afterwards, a grainy sugared note waves as it goes by, before the sourness of the fruit takes over the finish.

Mouthfeel was actually slightly more carbonated than I liked, as the prickly bubbles kept the beer from ever completely relaxing on my tongue.

Drinkability is pretty good, but not out of the park -- one bottle is enough for me.

All in all, perhaps the perfect dessert beer, not to mention a world-class conversion beer. Pair this with a chocolate dessert, and your objet d' amour may just wonder how they ever lived without you...and without this brew.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

This beer pours a deep reddish/plumb color. Looks very interesting and inviting. The nose is obviously of raspberries, and not just a little. The taste is all in the name of this beer...Raspberry & Tart. There is also a little bit of yeast flavor in there. Good mouthfeel, high carbonation and full body. Coat your mouth, go ahead. I knocked the drinkability down on this a little because it is so tart that you can't hand to much of this at a time. I recommend opening a bottle and sharing it with a few friends serving it up in some wine glasses. Great beer.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

750 ml bottle. This beer pours out a thickish looking deep purple. The bubbly head fades quickly. Big raspberry aroma. Syrupy raspberry flavor. The raspberries coat the mouth and becomes cloying. Still, the flavor is not artificial, so although it's a bit much, it's still tasty. I do not find this beer to be very drinkable. One glass is plenty. As far as fruit beers go, this is pretty good, but it does not seem much like beer. I prefer the Wisconsin Belgian Red.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company