Hop Hearty Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

Hop Hearty AleHop Hearty Ale

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Beer added by: purplehops on 09-04-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Hearty Ale Alström Bros
4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

This beer pours a clear golden color with an off white head. The head has slight orange tints to it. It fades slowly, leaving few laces.

This beer has a citrus hop aroma. It smells slightly grapefruit like. It is quite floral. It has a slight malty flavor balancing it out quite nicely. It has a very slight piney aroma.

Wow, this beer is well balanced. It has a light citrus hop flavor. It is also malty. It tastes of caramel. I can taste some grapefruit flavor also. A slightly piney flavor is also present.

This beer is very smooth. As I said, it is well balanced. It leaves a grapefruit like aftertaste on my palate. It might be just a little over carbonated.

I think this beer would make an excelent session beer. It is so well balanced, and it tastes very good. Also, it is not high in alcohol. If I had access to this beer, I would drink it every day. Thanks ThomasHardy for so generously sharing this beer with me.

4.87/5  rDev +23.9%

When I want an IPA, I want this beer. Pours a pleasant brown and smells divine. Hops, hops, hops, that's all you can smell and while the malt is there to keep them from being overpowering, it knows its place and stays out of the way. The taste follows the smell -- there is just enough malt to make this an incredibly drinkable brew while the hops do most of the flavouring. Another outstanding success from New Glarus!

4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

12 oz bottle pours a clear copper color, decent frothy white head that sticks around for awhile. Strong piney-grapefruity aroma, nice and balanced caramel and citrus flavors with a great hop bite, medium body with a full round mouthfeel, finishes sharp with some dryness, a very good IPA.

4.82/5  rDev +22.6%

Beer pours an amber color with a rich creamy head, lacing lasts throughout. Strong hop aroma as you would expect, the smell lures you right into the beer. Taste is of hops and almost perfectly so. Mouthfeel, seems just about right, I do not know what could make it better. Drinkability is definately high, an evening of these would be almost unimaginably good. Yum.

4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

Dan Carey has done it again! Pours a lovely crystal clear amber with a thick head of foam that is slow to dissolve. An enticing hop aroma provides a welcoming invitation to enjoy. Taste is nothing less than what I'd expect from New Glarus, crisp and delicious. The malts offer a caramel presence which nicely compliments the hoppy bitterness. Mouthfeel has a slight bite but not over carbed at all.

Overall an incredibly drinkable brew, I could sit back and enjoy these all day.

4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

I dont remember this beer being so good. Just drank a sixer over the long weekend and all I can say is damn. Pours a light copper colour with a nice white head. Great sticky lace. Aroma is citrusy, earthy with a nice caramel/biscuit undercurrant. Flavour has that same citrus/earthy hop character with a firm but not harsh bitterness. Caramel malts carry the hops with again a faint and pleasing biscuit character. Mouthfeel is medium with an almost spritsy carbonation. Highly drinkable and highly recommended. This is my new favourite IPA.

4.73/5  rDev +20.4%

Appearance: Golden amber with an orange hue. Perfect finger thick head. Wonderful carbonation stemming from the bottom of the glass. Really enjoy the color.

Nose: Wonderful pine. Not overly done. A good amount of sweetness and malt. Good grass with limited citrus. Little acidity present in the nose.

Taste: Wow. This is just right up my alley. A great pine taste with a pleasant amount of malt. The hops are very pine forward without much of a bitter citrus. The sweetness is spot on. I really really dig this.

Mouthfeel: This is fantastic. Wonderful carbonation that plays with the spot on thickness of the beer.

Overall: Wow. Stunned on this one. This IPA represents the pinnicle of the well-made side of hops. The hops are very present and forward, but they are blended wonderfully and create a fantastic taste. It's not overly done with the hops which is fantastic. It's very refreshing to find an IPA whose motto is better blended hops is better than just more hops. I really can't think of how I could improve this beer.

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%

Really love the New Glarus bottle art, simple, spare and kinda homey - pours out of the nice packaging a hazy amber with a thick foamy head. The scent of freshly mowed grass and some fresh pineapple mingles with caramel. No false advertising in the nose. Hop notes aplenty, running the gamut from pine to pineapple to grassy, with a faint minty touch toward the bittering end. Well balanced with a nice caramel malt backbone. Sweetness smacks of orange - though smack is perhaps too strong a word, it's pretty balanced and under control. Absolutely nothing is off in the finish, where I ordinarily fault my IPAs. Bitter but gentle, sweet but subtle. Much less aggressive than the west coasters I've been drinking (Green Flash, I'm looking at you... lovingly) Refreshing and not the least bit astringent - perfect middle of the road style benchmark. The mouthfeel is dead on as well, midly carbonated - just enough to lift the creamy liquid off the tongue - and remarkably soft water.

It's a friggin lovely 80-odd degree day here in NY, and its sunny gorgeousness may be influencing my review, but this is a very nice beer perfect for a day like today. I could session this all day long while grilling. Cheers to robbyc1 for this, wish I could get this all the time.

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

I was lucky enough to get to try a bottle of this beer which a friend had obtained on a trip..its only available in the state of Wisconsin apparently.

Appearance was an amber color with nice fresh head and lacing off white in color. Typical to style. Aroma was of hops and typical to style.

Taste/Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Impressive..this beer is dry hopped using cascade and east kent golding hops, which keep each other in check and provide an interesting hop flavor that is both intense, and muted a bit. Worthy of a 5 rating.

Overall, this is a very well-brewed, old school style, nicely balanced American IPA, that goes down easy.

4.63/5  rDev +17.8%

Drinking out of a snifter.

Appearance: nice coppery color with slightly off-white head.

Smell: not an in-your face hop aroma typical of IPAs. Some caramel maltiness, along with a bit of fir smell (some call it cat-piss) and something else I can't put my finger on.

Taste: awesome. Very balanced display of the malt and hops. Crystal malt is apparent in the subtle sweetness. The hops give a nice citrus crispness to the beer, while not being overly bitter. There's a certain earthiness that plays well with the malt, I assume from the EKG; gives the beer something special and atypical in the realm of citrus-bomb IPAs.

Mouthfeel: not too thick, not too dry, just right.

Overall: an excellent beer. Very drinkable without skimping on flavor and complexity. A nice change from typical overly hop-heavy IPAs, whilst still being a decidedly well-hopped beer. This would be a good intro to hoppy beers for the uninitiated, but still be satisfying for all but the most fanatical of hopheads. I think the use of EKG hops really makes this beer, and displays some hop range that most of us probably aren't too familiar with.

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%

I absolutely love this beer. Hands down, my favorite commercial IPA. There are hoppier IPAs, maltier IPAs, more alcoholic IPAs. But this one just hits the perfect balance.

Pours a beautiful amber and very clear. Hops come wafting out before you get the glass near your nose. The blend of Cascade and EK Goldings makes it neither an "American" nor and "English" IPA but something in between. The hops are very bold but let the malt through.

Once you start drinking, the hops ride along on the malt in perfect balance. I wish the mouthfeel was just a tad more full, but that is the only flaw in the beer. The finish is not overly bitter but is dry enough to make you want the next sip.

Overall, this is just a fantastic beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle obtained via trade with Skidz. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 3/4" of light tan head over the orangey-amber brew. Lacing is excellent. Aroma is malty, but shares the stage with piney hops. Taste is solid malts up front, smoothly flowing over the tongue, and then the hops kick in the door and ransack the place. But not so bad that everything can't be put back in order, for an overall balanced flavor from both ends of the malt/hops spectrum cancelling each other out in the end. Wonderful stuff. Mouthfeel and drinkability are both excellent.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Lucky I found one before NG discontinued it. Poured into a SA Perfect Pint Glass for a change. Didn't do too bad, a bright amber with lots of red emerged. The head was a thick sticky mass of big bubbles and wispy froth. It didn't drop too soon either, as I had to give my self an off-white mustache every time I wanted a drink.

The nose, I could only initially describe as smooth and modest, yet incredibly hoppy. How they managed that, I have no idea, but it was delightful. The toasty malt backbone held it's ground, but never put up a fight against an excellent hop profile that boasted citrus, mint, soapy, and earthy flavors. Pear skin and caramel notes emerged as it sat.

The flavor had the same thing going for it. Gratuitous flavor and spunk, but in a tidy humble package. An IPA so clean and easy to drink just doesn't usually have a plethora of flavor like this. Juicy juicy. Citrus and an earthy/floral explosion of mint, herbs and a grassy finish kept the mouth satisfied while the brain searched for deeper hunks of caramel and sweet fruit.

The body and feel continue in the same fashion. The body was not big by any stretch, but boy was it easy to drink. It was sticky, and just a bit thick, with mild but ample carbonation. It's not drinkable, it's chuggable. Chugging this however, would be a mistake. What an excellent IPA. After only one, I'm upset it is discontinued, but pleased I got the chance to enjoy one.

4.6/5  rDev +17%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Good God. Beer pours an absolutely enormous head, just a huge pillow of off-white fluffiness sitting atop a really intense ruby red body; it's a really nice looking beer- a lot deeper than the yellower IPA's, and even more so than the stronger IPA's/DIPA's that can sometimes be a little orange. This is almost Dorthy's shoe-worth. With the big head it's a posterized beer. The head for all its hype recedes pretty quickly and noisily. Some good lacing left, and to be honest, when it's receded it kind of looks like dish water, or even guiness-type head.

Really nice, balanced aroma. This is what an IPA should smell like; some pine is distinguishable, but it's not the pine like you're getting hit in the face with a 2x4 of the most aromatic pine known to man. It's a nice, rounded, almost sweet pine, and I have to say, it's nice to know that beers can still exist that are still, [in a good way] normal. Maybe even a hint of eucalyptus here; though I'm not sure. Change that. It smells like laundry detergent- the powdered kind. Specifically, this beer reminds me of original Tide. Interesting indeed.

Really a super excellent tasting beer- a great caramel finish, interlaced with a [still] growing pine/almost mint-coolness. It's a bizarre sequence of flavors; the caramel starts in the back of your palate but moves its way forward; as it moves forward, eventually coming to rest on the tip of the tongue it's replaced by a pine; they're almost moving in harmony. This is a very very tight, very very focused beer; there is a lot going on here and, at least in regards to the flavor profile, how this isn't mentioned with the top IPA's right now astounds me. This is a shocking good IPA.

Mouthfeel is good, but it definitely not great; what makes this beer so awesome in some other areas, especially the nose where there is some subtle flavors, also kills it in regards to its mouthfeel. This is not a grip your whole palate and beat it into submission beer. This is concentrated and precise; the outer parts of the mouth are virtually un-touched, and most areas outside the tongue's immediate vicinity are pretty lacklusterly affected.

Did I just give this beer two five's? Yeah, I think I did. Just over 6% alcohol, with a flavor profile that is both sweet and piney and a focused taste that most beers lack? A beer that will play with your taste buds, and not leave everything tasting like white bread for three days after? This beer has all of that, and then it has some more. There is no way that this should not be mentioned in regards to not only the top sessionable IPA's, but the top sessionable beers. This beer is fantastic; if this had Bell's distribution capacity this rivals Two Hearted. In fact, I think this beer is, to me, as good as Two Hearted and better than Celebration and HopDevil. A really outstanding effort and a beer that I will for sure be seeking out in trades every couple months. If you do not have this beer on your wants, have never had it and enjoy IPA's, you are doing yourself a disservice.

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%

Nice clear carmel color, good clarity. Head rises to fill the top of my point, and fades unevenly to a rocky surface. Nice hops in the nose, floral and resinous. Taste is hop dominant, and delicious. Hops are the start and finish of this beer, malt takes a back seat. The bitterness is full and pleasing, I really like it. Mouthfeel is well carbonated andfitting. What a great beer, one of my favorites from New Glarus.

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%

golden american pale ale color with thick white head, bursting with
grapefruit and pine aroma. Medium body with herbal and citrus
flavors,lots of chewy grapefruit and malt. Bitterness lingers long with nice malt sweetness to balance the finish. A great Pale Ale when you need your dose of hops. One of my favorite american pale ales,lots of hops and not overly sweet-the malt takes the backseat.

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful fluffy lacy head, slow dissipation, gorgeous orange slightly cloudy hue, lovely.

Massive fresh hoppy aroma, Cascade and East Kent Goldings hops, Yah! Not much else, perfect for an IPA.

Taste is subtler than expected, nice matching malt for the hops, just right to push through the ending and give slight sweetness to the finish.

Full mouthfeel, not too fizzy, just right for the body provided.

This is almost a perfect beer that is a drinkable IPA, not overpowering, a bit high for a session beer, but put it on my roster. Yeah!

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured a clear copper in color with an everlasting creamy off-white head. Superb aroma consists of citrus, grapefruit and spicy/herbal hops. Medium-bodied mouthfeel with a crisp sharp front. Grapefruit and hop spiciness dominate the palate. We're talking near-hop overload, in a good way. Behind that lies a malt middle. Finish has a biscuity ghostness in flavor with a spicy hop goodness. Hop Hearty IMO ranks right up there with HopDevil, with the only difference being that it lacks some of the creaminess in the mouthfeel. An excellent IPA.

4.52/5  rDev +15%

Poured into glass from 12 oz brown glass bottle. Nice lacey white head, with great head retention. I think they probably used some crystal malt which is common for the style. I liked the color, but still like the color of 60 min better. I like my Ipa's ruby red. Enjoyed the aroma, the fruity aroma we all expect from an Ipa. Great mouth feel, and great flavor. Not my favorite IPA but one of the best I've had. I love my Wisconsin beer.

4.52/5  rDev +15%

a: I poured this brew into my Schlitz Goblet while salivating in anticipation. Poured a nice copper color with a just under an inch of a perfect white head. Low on the carbonaiton scale. Had very nice lace that lasted throughout the whole drink.

s: Had a distinct citrus smell with maybe some flowery or perfumey smells like you just walked through a greenhouse or by the cosmetics counter at Macy's.

t: A nice strong hoppy base with a teaser of piney or light citrus flavor. Very very refreshing.

m: This brew was very silky and slick. A smooth effect on the mouth that kept you licking your lips to taste more.

d: I absolutely loved this beer and plan to have many more. Overall it kept giving me what I wanted to get out of it. I think I might just go and enjoy one right now.

4.52/5  rDev +15%

Wow. This is a tasty brew. Right away you get blasted with intense earthy, piney, floral, spicy hop aroma. The Cascades and the EKG's combine for an incredible flavor/aroma experience. I couldn't stop jamming my nose in my glass the entire time.

Pours a rich dark copper/amber color. Massive, tan, long lasting head. Lots of sticky lacing. Tons of roasty caramel maltiness to balance the hops. Has a full bodied rich malty backbone for an IPA but plenty of hops to support it.

I can't believe the complexity created by combining the Cascades & EKGs. The lingering flavors are just unbelievable. The caramel flavor takes over and dominates as it progresses. This sweetness builds and reduces drinkability. Actually the caramel is a little too pronounced at the end, but overall a very tasty brew.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Thanks to nflmvp for this bottle. Wanted to try this for a while. Poured this beer slightly chilled into a pint glass from a twelve ounce brown bottle. Poured a pretty hazy amber orange color that had some brown tints in it. About two fingers of tannish white head formed with a pretty easy pour. Head faded pretty slowly and left plenty of lace behind. Smell: Nice strong earth aromas, tons of hops and thick malt. A little bit of yeast makes it's way into the nose as well. Nice flavor as well. Hops, more hops, thick sweet malt with a touch of caramel and bread. Pretty bitter but overall pretty well balanced. A nice thick , full mouthfeel. Awesome drinkability. A great IPA from New Glarus.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

New Glarus really hit a home run with this one...One of the better IPA's I've had...Great looking beer...Rust colored with a puffy white head....Herbal/oily hop nose invites you in and then your buds are assaulted with a great hop bite...citrus style hops dominate but some herbal hoppiness is evident as well...in the background lurks a nice malt/caramel backbone that the spotlight never shines on, but it does it's part as a bit player...kind of like the house band playing for the star entertainer....the hops are the "star" of this one...I think this rates right up there with Hop Devil and really might be better..I love burping up the hop flavor as I drink this....Seek this one out if you like IPA's...

4.48/5  rDev +14%

Huge thanks to kmpitz2 for adding this one to the mix...
Pours a worn copper color with a full finger of creamy, off-white head...lacing is somewhat thin and cascades nicely back into the tulip glass.
Sweet malt hits the nose, caramel comes to mind. A generous distribution of hops as well, but nothing over the top.
Taste is fantastic...I was expecting more of a bitter smack, but this IPA is real mellow yet full of hoppiness. Nice balance and the mouthfeel is quite thick for its style. Carbonation is just where it should be...tasting so fresh.
If only it were possible to make this one a session brew...would be mindless...has to be among the handful of the finest IPA's I have tried to date.
2 for 2 today...New Glarus is really making an impression on me.
2 fine BA's supplying me w/ back to back winners...thanks gents.

4.48/5  rDev +14%

Golden, burnt orange color poured into brandy snifter. Outstanding fine bubbled head of three quarter inch with beautiful lacing throughout the drinking. The foam and lacing returns incredibly with each sip. The malt smell contradicts what ultimately happens with the hop/bitter taste that is the true essence of an IPA. The hop turns into an immediate sweet caramel malt flavor on the tongue and disappears to bitter. Mouthfeel is full with thickness and staying power on tongue-Incredible!! This has incredible staying power in the glass as well as the taste. Could drink this thing all night. It was well worth the 250 mile trip made last weekend.

Hop Hearty Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company