Spotted Cow - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Cream Ale |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2002

Reviews: 757 | Hads: 3,211

This ale is by far one of the very best I've had to date. It's pours a silky cloudy color of caramelish yellow, it's smell hints of grains and corn and a bit of a fruit side to it. It goes down very easy and it's taste is by far the best for ale's that arn't 10$ or cheaper for a six pack. I strongly recommend this one to anyone who's in the greater WI area and wants to try a exceptional beer!

Man Up!

4.92/5  rDev +34.8%

Wisconsin's Finest beer and my favorite of all time! Its a little expensive but all worth it! I'm from North Illinois and we go to the border of Wis. to get this beer! The bros would die for this!

Corn taste, light body, best aroma ever for a beer and goes down real nice!

I have let all my friends try this beer and not one has said one bad thing about it! Cheers New Glarus Brewery for this wonderful beer!

4.84/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Damn good beer. Slight taste of citrus along with hops and malt. Overall very tasty beer, a little pricey though. And only made and sold in Wisconsin :)

4.8/5  rDev +31.5%

My Favorite beer of all time. The citrusy flavor is the key to this beers unique presence in the beer world. Very drinkable but not watered down like many "drinkable" beers.
A - Orange color, thick head from tap.
S - Attractive, so much better than any AB beer.
T - Mmmm....my favorite part. Thick rich flavor with a hint of citrus.
M - Very good
D - My 2nd favorite part. I have never regretted partying with this prime choice.
Try if you can, it will be worth it!

4.8/5  rDev +31.5%

This beer, as you can see by my username is my all time favorite. I live about 80 mi. south of the Wisconsin line, and go to Woodman's right across the line on 94 at least once a month to get a couple of sixers. Introduced to it originally on tap, and was hooked immediately. The taste and drinkability are one of a kind, even with the hint of corn, it seems to actually accentuate the taste, which is unlike all of the other corn-fed macrobrews out there. The cloudiness and small amount of yeast make it appealing to the eyes, as well. I guess if it is any consolation, its a good thing that I have to drive to get it, otherwise I would be broke and drunk all of the time with this brew around. Cheers!

4.79/5  rDev +31.2%

As a Wisconsinite, this is a beer that you see in many taverns and restaurants. I've had this in bottles, in a keg, and on tap at many different places.

I must say, while it isn't my favorite beer, it is up on the list.

The finish is one of a wheat style ale, but drinks like a lager. While you have the taste, the texture and density of a thicker beer, the beer itself is light, but with a full body.

I highly recommend picking one of these up if you stop in Wisconsin.

4.75/5  rDev +30.1%

A: Golden with a slight copper hue, somewhat cloudy, nice head with good retention and decent lacing.

S: Malty aroma, with almost an apple smell.

T: Wow, this beer continues to impress me and the taste is nothing short of exceptional. I find that this trait is quite typical of any New Glarus Beer, there is a slight bitterness that makes itself present, and it disappears with the beer, exceptional.

M: This is easily the best cream ale to graze my palate.

D: I could easily have another one of these, I just might now that I think of it.

Yet another example of New Glarus greatness, I would recommend this beer to anyone.

4.75/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I was on holiday in the US and visited Wisconsin. In the first bar they already tipped me this beer. So ofcourse i had a taste.

And my first tasting impression was wow!

Light yellow, gold like. Bright and refreshing looking.

Sweet malts, fruits, wheat, corn, citrus.

A subtle, almost creamy, balance of fruit, malt, citrus and corn. Very light and easy going, nearly no bitter and yet very refreshing without getting boring at all.

Light, thin and refreshing. Medium carbonation.

Usually beers like these get a bit annoying after a while because they lack depth and are too easy going. But this one, i can drink any day, and all day :) It somehow manages to give all sorts of easy flavors and yet manages to keep it interesting. It's refreshing, easy going and has a nice balance of sweetness and acidity. It's the perfect summer drink.
One of my favorites in the "easy going and fresh" category beers.

Too bad it's pretty much impossible to get this beer over here (Netherlands). Maybe it need to import and distribute it :)

4.73/5  rDev +29.6%

I absolutely love this beer. It has a great taste, a great name and it's brewed in Wisconsin. Just doesn't get much better than that.

Spotted Cow has a nice cloudy golden color with a bit of a citrus smell/taste. It's a really easy to drink beer, even in large volume.

I highly recommend this beer to everyone.

4.63/5  rDev +26.8%

This is my favorite cream ale by far. New glarus in general makes so many great beers, but this one is so easy to drink regardless of weather or setting. Only bought in Wisconsin, I have to make the 15 minute drive across the border which I don't think twice about doing; even if it's just for this beer. Foggy honey in color, fresh--light hop scent and smooth yet full upon entering the hole in your face. The mozzarella cheese, sausage and mushrooms will go down so easy with this beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Color: pours very pale yellow. sits clear yellow-gold, with some suspended sediment, with a two-finger, bone white head

Smell: very clean pale malt character with a hint of adjunct. hops are very light and earthy

Taste: very tasty, super clean, slightly sweet and grainy pale malt flavor. again, hint of corn adjunct is present. little bit of fruitiiness. hops are very light contributing only a hint of earthiness. finish is grainy sweet and light

Mouthfeel: light bodied with medium carbonation

Notes: fantastic light-bodied brew that actually has great flavor. just enough adjunct to make it fun, otherwise a pure expression of sweet, pale malts. perfect for a hot day and close enough to sessionable for any activity. wish we got this in Michigan. we need a beer like this

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a pint glass
A: Aggressive pour yields 1.25 fingers of off-white head with great retention. Hazy lemon straw liquid. I remember this beer being hazier, even cloudy. Good lookin'

S: Nice clean malt with light phenolic notes. Slight citrus hop. very nice for a session beer.

T: Gentle light malts with nice gentle hop balance. Some wheat/hefeweizen flavor is a nice addition.

M: Full and creamy. Very silky;like lactose was added almost.

D: I could and would drink several of these

4.6/5  rDev +26%

This beer has a fruity smell when opened with a hint of yeast. Poured into a pint glass it has a cloudy golden color from excess yeast left to finish it's work in the bottle. It has a modest white head that once settles leaves a slight lace on the glass with the yeast continuing to leave a cloudiness letting you know you are drinking a Spotted Cow.

This is one of the most drinkable beers from New Glarus. This beer is even enjoyed by the most picky of my beer drinking buddies. It has a light taste on the pallet with a fruity entrance followed by a yeasty finish.

I highly recommend this beer to those who are looking to branch from the mainstream flood of commercial beers. It is a good gateway beer for maturing connoisseurs and is a fan favorite of even the most particular pallets.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is a great anytime of the year beer. Like all New Glaurus Brewery beers, it has a strong flavor, taste, and body...those cheeseheads know their beer! It has a smooth after taste that sits well in the mouth and is easy to down in summer or winter. I was also impressed that it tastes equally fresh in bottle as it does on tap...that is great aspect of this brewery.

4.55/5  rDev +24.7%

A: Golden yellow. At first glance I commented on how the beer was very clear. After reading the bottle which says that it should be naturally cloudy I took a closer look and there is a very small amount of yeast particles but definitely not cloudy (I deducted for the missed description). I could not get much head out of either of the two bottle I poured for tasting (on two separate days) but the half finger head did last several minutes.

S: Sweet malts, I noted pilsner, and sweet corn adjunct. I know I just used "sweet" twice but it does not smell overly sweet at all. Slight lemon citrus smell which I take to be from hopping.

T: For me this is the highlight of the beer. It is sweet but finishes clean. Pilsner, corn, slight lemon citrus, and yeast can all be tasted but none stand out above the rest. I believe the carbonation adds to the citrus because the lemon flavor declined as the carbonation did (I take my time tasting).

Mf: Light and easy to drink. The "cream" texture is definitely there but the beer still finishes clean. Very pleasant to drink.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. It is very drinkable and pleasant but honestly it's a little boring. Its the sort of thing you can drink with your friends who aren't into craft brew but might be under appreciated by beer snobs (hopefully that makes sense).

4.51/5  rDev +23.6%

Appearance is light golden but hazy, one finger head....looks amazing!

Smell isnt strong, lemony and slightly bready....

Tastes great! Sweet nice banana aftertaste and malty.

Smooth mouthfeel, med carbonation.

Could drink this beer all day all year around but in the summer is the best. A must have for the fridge.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

This one came at me from an unexpected angle. When I saw the bottle, the name "Spotted Cow" immediately made me think of milk stout. I suppose for a cream ale, it makes sense, too. Very bright and lively, with some lemony tartness that called to mind a super-mild Berliner weisse crossed with a German pilsner. Surpisingly drinkable, and the ABV would make this an ideal quencher. This may be the first cream ale that really caught my attention.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Now this is what I love to drink every day of summer for the past two years. This golden goodness of this beer has a hint of citrus and is slightly sweet and with a touch of hops to bring your taste buds all together and cheer. Sad that I can't get this beer here in Chicago, but at least it gives me a reason to go to Milwaukee to pick up a few cases when visiting friends. So great to enjoy on the back porch when listening to some Blues records on a summer day. Made my birthday just golden today.

4.48/5  rDev +22.7%

I chose this beer after tasting 3 different on-tap brews at Piggy's restaurant in La Crosse, Wisconsin. It was so refreshing and went well with a Norwegian salmon dinner. The next night, at a different restaurant, had it with a chicken dinner.

Excellent straw color with a crisp and clean finish.

Not much of a head. But I definitely want more of this beer!

4.46/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

An offering from New Glarus Brewing Co. that I have had on many occasion while living in Madison. Finally decided to review it.

A - The Spotted Cow has a faint hazy yellow gold color, mainly due to the yeast left in the bottle. It also poured a very white fluffy head, about an inch that dissipated at an average pace.

S - On the nose I get light fruits, a little citrus from the hops, barley malt, yeast, and the unmistakable hint of corn.

T - On the palate I got exactly what I smelled on the nose, and that hint of corn on the finish adds a distinct sweetness, but not too much.

M - Medium-bodied on the palate, carbonated very well while conditioned in the bottle.

O - A fantastic offering from New Glarus. Each time I have a Spotted Cow, I understand more and more why this beer is their staple. It i a fantastic Wisconsin farmhouse ale with an unmistakable character. I do like it much more on tap than in the bottle, but it doesn't detract from this great brew. Great from start to finish.

4.45/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Spotted Cow is one of my favorite beers. Very easy to drink. The only thing I don't like about it is it has a little bit of a metalic aftertaste, not sure if that is just me though.

4.45/5  rDev +21.9%

On the pour, it seemed a little dark for a farmhouse ale, but nice lacing and pleasant appearance.

Smell was mild, slight fruit on the nose, but not a lot there.

Taste was nice, well-balanced. Some wheat, nice solid malt, with gentle fruit and very understated balancing hops.

Mouthfeel was nice: pretty viscous and full.

Very drinkable beer...easy to have a few of these and they seemed to get better over time.

Nice beer.

4.45/5  rDev +21.9%

This was the first beer I had by New Glarus, many moons ago, on tap and this was the first time I've had it in a bottle. Picked this sixer up at Stanley Liquor, in Stanley, WI.

Pours a superb hazy golden color. If I didn't know any better, I would guess that it was a heffeweizen, with a nice two finger head that dissipates quickly leaving behind a nice enough amount of lacing. Smell is of some grainy malts and some fruitiness. Taste is fruity, hints of apple and pear, slightly spicy, a nice hop undertone that doesn't take away from pale malts in the least, and lots of carbonation. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, medium bodied and quite delicious. I have not been disappointed from a New Glarus offering yet!

4.45/5  rDev +21.9%

Appearance: Dark straw/orange color. Pretty murky, opacity is about 65-70%. Possibly unfiltered. Small decent 1/2 finger white head appears but doesn't stick around very long. Lacing is non-existent.

Smell: Awesome aromas of sugar, malt, and a sweet fruity aroma that I can't quite pinpoint. Corn adjuncts also present.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This is a fantastic beer. I absolutely love it. The taste is a beautiful blend of mellow fruity flavors, corn adjuncts, crystal malt, and a light hop presence. Carbonation is average to below average which is perfect for the style, and lends well to the drinkability. This is a very easy drinking, refreshing beer. Tastes great!

Drinkability: Very high. This is a delicious, highly re-drinkable brew for almost any occasion.

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%

A close friend brought me this one from a friend of a friend out of Wisconsin with some pretty high expectations. I had heard of the spotted cow but this was my first sip.

I'm not sure about calling this beer a cream ale but I think I might of called it a pale but that's not my job.

I thought the nose and flavor worked perfect and matched the appearances well. light and refreshing but full flavor.

by the end of this delight I had several notes and all I was thinking was , how can I reproduce this beer. I will be spending some great time trying down the ingredients in this beer

Spotted Cow from New Glarus Brewing Company