Spotted Cow - New Glarus Brewing Company

good

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Cream Ale |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spotted Cow Alström Bros

Hopstout, Jun 17, 2012

ndamstra00, Apr 22, 2012

jreindl, Apr 20, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -38.3%

fredmugs, Nov 13, 2012
2.36/5  rDev -36.7%

Ivan52, Nov 10, 2014
2.38/5  rDev -36.2%

I haven't had one of these in awhile, as my memory of these wasn't pleasant. Tried again the other evening.

A, M=looked and felt like a decent beer.

T=Not pleasant. Skunky, and not nearly as good as other cream ales I've tried.

I, for the life of me, do not understand why this beer is as popular as it is. Other than the Snowshoe, New Glarus beers just do not stack up to others that are available around here.

dhannes, May 31, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -35.7%

A - Pale yellow with adequate foamy head.

S- Not much...

T- I literally picked up the bottle and looked to make sure this was beer. This is an incredibly bland ale. Almost devoid of flavor with a dry finish. Very subtle malts.

M- Light with low carbonation, just slightly thicker than a lager.

O- This beer is like a cow among the herd. One of many, nothing makes this better or standout from any of the other cows. Surprised to see the high ratings, maybe more representative of the rest of the brewery's line? Really falls short in terms of taste and substance for me.

Copernicandream, Jan 10, 2014
2.4/5  rDev -35.7%

A: gold with white head like a macro lager.

S: grassy not getting much else. Maybe a little grainy.

T: very average in the taste. A little bit of of sweetness up front. Otherwise grassy and watery taste. IMO pretty bland.

M: well carbonated but again watery

O: very average beer nothing too exciting here. If you like the macro stuff there isn't much deviation in this beer from those.

kj8525, Apr 12, 2014

dragomni, Jan 02, 2012

jkermitj, Apr 25, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a very light, transparent, golden color with a healthy finger of head that only stuck around long enough for a couple sips. Lots of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Not much of a nose, just a faint smell of lemon, wet wood, and other unidentifiable grains.

First taste is medium spiciness and vanilla but fades to a sweet grain taste as you drink it. Quite unremarkable, just a boring beer to me. It's a bit fizzy, burns the throat a touch on the way down. Overall, a passable beer but nothing to go out of your way for.

willseph, Dec 14, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -32.2%

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with two fingers of fluffy white head. Retention is great. I haven't had too many cream ales, but this looks nice enough.

S: Pale and sweet malts up front, though light, with slight citrus and spiciness that reminds me of AALs.

T: Very mild sweet malt up front with a spiciness and citrus flavor very similar to the smell. I also get a good amount of corn flavor that does not go well with the beer. The corn flavor along with a bit of a metallic flavor in the aftertaste is unpleasant.

M: On the thick side of what I expected from a Cream Ale with nice mild carbonation.

O: Reminds me very much of a AAL. Mild flavor with corn and a vague spiciness and citrus flavor and a terrible aftertaste. Not very good. I think I just really don't like Cream Ales.

coreyfmcdonald, Jun 06, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -31.6%

Graciously brought from Wisconsin by a non-BA friend.

12 oz. bottle.

This beer pours out a frightengly canary-neon yellow, with a tiny bit of yeast haze. The head is quite creamy, but only leaves a light notch of lacing. My friend took a whiff and proclaimed it smelled like "Grandma's bedsheets", then noted that if presented to him without identification, he wouldn't know if it was piss or pop. Hmm.

The only discernable odor on the nose is corn. I choose to use odor because if I wasn't rating every beer I got my hands on, I wouldn't have even tried it. I can't get over how bad this smells; I look for some malts, some sweetness, even a touch of hops - to no avail.

Actually, this one doesn't taste too bad at all. It sort of seems like a strange love-child between macro-swill and Guinness. It is quite nice on the mouthfeel, almost enough to disguise the heavy-handed corn influence. If you put this on Nitro, Macro lovers could do some serious damage. Still, just not enough going on here to interest me in another.

I've had worse. Maybe this beer is just an attempt at ramping-up swill drinkers. I'll try others by the brewery. I could also understand having a place in your heart for this - if I grew up on it, it might be a good fall back.

GreenWBush, Jan 20, 2004