Join our email list →

Cream Ale | 4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2002

Reviews: 768 | Hads: 3,263
4.31/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: hazy straw yellow. thick fluffy head.

S: Floral. yeast and grain. light with honey and a distinct smell of daisys.

T: sweet grains. small hop profile. pleasant. esters and floral. clean aftertaste

M: light and pleasant. (a theme it seems) great carbonation. the taste profile spreads wonderfully over the palate.

O: a wonderfully pleasant beer. not mind blowing but great everytime.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer reminds me of the Bavarian "Kellerbier" I drank so much of in Germany. It is a hazy golden color with a bit of carbonation and a decent head that diminished, but did not entirely disappear. It had an aroma of corn and barley with a slight yeastiness/mustiness to it. It is fairly light beer, with a slight sweet corn flavor and goes down fairly easy. It's also the best beer I've used for parboiling brats before grilling them.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Drank from a pint glass, poured from a bottle.

Appearance: Beautiful cloudy golden colour. Hazy and bubbly on the sides. Nice head which slowly and audibly fizzles down leaving little lacing.

Smell: Very sweet and yeasty like a belgian beer

Taste: Sweet, yet very hoppy too. Fruity taste, with bannana/clove distinctness. On the paler side. Reminiscent of belgian tripels/pale ales. A tad of a adjuncty taste though.

Mouthfeel: Soooo incredibly smooth. I honestly doubt if I've ever had a smoother beer that I can remember

Drinkability: Great tasting, not too powerful. Satisfying and refreshing. Mild but still delicious and complex enough. A very solid beer

3.66/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Pours a light and crisp golden hue, forms an equally similar head.

S: A little earthy, but very mild...same goes for a touch of hops.

T: A very light kiss of hops, maybe lemon-lime, but mostly a mild malt profile.

M/D: Simple, soft, smooth...easy to drink. This would be a good beer to bring just about anywhere, and wouldn't offend the masses. I felt this description was short, but it is just an easy-going beer...

2.9/5  rDev -20.5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass - hazy golden with thin white head, decent lace.

Smells of cream, banana, like a wit with no clove or other spice. Slight citrus, no real hop presence.

Super light bodied, very carbonated. Banana flavors, mildly tart. Very refreshing and crisp. Soda mouthfeel. Faint notes of sweet corn.

I'd probably like a few of these here in Florida on a hot day. Easily the lightest body out of all the cream ales I've had. Not sure why the bottle says farmhouse but BA categorizes it a cream ale. Definitely a lawnmower beer, but more drinkable than standard yellow swill.

3.72/5  rDev +1.9%

Vacationing in Wisconsin, and this was available on-tap at a tavern across from a cheese factory (go figure) in Knowlton.

The pour was hazy yellow with thin lacing.
Smell was sweet and mildly spicy.
Taste follows the smell, sweet and mildly spicy; I cannot detect the hops and there is no lingering hop bitterness or aftertaste.

I am told that this is one of New Glarus' most popular beers; My wife loved it, so we found a 'sixer' to bring home.

It is a good hot weather summer beer.

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

12oz bottle.

A- Pours a bright bubbly corn-yellow color. This was first cause for alarm of this hyped-up beer that I grew more and more dissappointed and leery of.

S- Smells like sweet mash, bread and musty hops.

T- This isn't good beer. More musty sweet mash. Finish is dry, which imparts a crude bitterness.

M- Mouthfeel is decent, carbonation good for a lighter brew, body is spot on but cant overcome the flavor shortfalls.

O- Don't believe the hype, this is not good. Go for the other new glarus brews, this is intended to appeal to Budweiser and Miller light drinkers. Overrated!

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

2/17/2010

New Glarus
Spotted Cow

L= 4.0 Cloudy Banana color with a small well retaining head.

S= 4.0 The nose whiffs of yeast, banana, and light ester

T= 3.5 The whole taste is light. Fruity, grainy sweetness.

F= 3.0 Light feel but not watery. Finish is slightly dry

D= 3.5 Ok session beer. I didn't particularly like this beer but then again I do not like the style. You could drink a lot of this beer and the abv is pretty low as well

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a golden yellow with a remainder of yeast floating around. Foamed nicely but it had little retention. Smell was nice witha flowery aroma.

All I can remember about the taste is that it really had a tangy feel to it that stuck on my tongue for a few minutes. Left me with a tingley tongue. Very Nice!

Very nicely done and a good drinking beer. Too bad the small restauraunt I enjoyed it in served it with a small pilsner glass.

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass
This beer is every place in Wisco. Everyone except me seems to like this beer. I don't get it. To me there just isn't anything I like about how this beer tastes. I'd rather have a Bud. Looks like a macro smells like one too. Taste to me is just off somehow, grainy. Feel is carbonated and to me is a little harsh. Not drinkable to me I do have one every now and then just to make sure I still don't care for this beer. Have had on tap also.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This one's significantly better on tap than in a bottle, and if you're in just about any bar or restaurant in Wisconsin, they'll have it on tap. Very cloudy, close-to-opaque medium amber that looks a lot like a wheat beer. Grainy flavor with just a bit of hoppiness to it. It's quite heavy and not a beer I'd want to spend a whole evening with. That said, if the choice is between this and an MGD (which it often is in the Madison area), this is the one to get in a heartbeat. Not one of New Glarus's finest, but a decent standby.

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass at the Milwuakee airport.

A - pours a very light yellow with a 1" head. Somewhat hazy in appearance with a small amount of yeast in suspension.

S - smells of corn and maybe a little bit of lemon zest.

T - light citrus, lemon flavor and the mild presence of corn. A little sweeter than I was expecting.

M - well carbonated and light bodied.

O - when I find out what I'm paying for this, I'm sure my thoughts on it would change. But, hey, I'm in an airport. This is a beer that I could session pretty easily. I'm a little confused on this beer though. BA lists it as a cream ale and the bottle says Wisconsin farmhouse ale. I side with BA on this one.

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

A: kind of a golden straw color, very clear, foamy white head and minimal lacing

S: citrus hops, some malt as well, sweet smell

T: grainy, bready, very mild flavors, virtually no aftertaste to speak of

M: creamy and smooth with somewhat of a bite. The beer has a decent crispness to it. Light medium bodied.

O: Not my favorite of all the New Glarus Beers i've tasted. this one had kind of subdued and boring flavors. It didn't taste bad but it didn't make me want to keep drinking it.

4.27/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2295 on twelve oz bottle. I'm thinking 229 day of the year. July/August. Not too old. Poured into snifter. Cloudy dark yellow with frothy 2 inch head that fades modestly. As I sip healthy spots cling to the glass and slide down leaving some stragglers. Smell is banana and some biscuit. Taste is similar. Drinkability is superb. Idk if it's because I just got off work but I'm loving this beer. Cheers!

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a hazy yellow with a bright white head. Drink is smooth, grassy, corn, sweet some fruits and spices. I wouldn't say this is very complicated, but there is a certain amount of depth to it.

This is a fantastic gateway beer and is quite drinkable. I don't think an experienced (or even intermediate) BA will find anything new from this beer.

2.92/5  rDev -20%

Poured into a pint glass.

Has a hazy yellow body and a good white head. Leaves a little lacing.

Smells like an adjunct lager. Possibly some grainy corn. Not much of a hop presences to speak of.

The flavor has a nice malty twang to it. Its carried by a smooth mouthfeel but is light in body. A good example of a cream ale. I would drink it again, just not too often as it is a beer style that lacks flavor.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

12oz bottle

A: Crystal clear, yellow fizzy beer in color, creamy one finger head, good crisp carbonation.

S: Vanilla cream is in the forefront, clean malt takes hold of the rest of the nose, little to no hop presence.

T: A more full bodied throw back to Genny cream ale. There is more complexity in the malt and cream presence. The flavor is slightly corny and creamy which is very reminiscent to by gone days.

M,O: Well balance and pleasing to the tongue, a summer burger beer. Very session-able as well.

This is an awesome grass cutter beer. Light, refreshing, and pretty damn tasty! New Glarus makes many great beers, and this is a very good example of a cream ale.

4.14/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into my Samuel Smith's pint glass. Pours a clear straw color with a decent amount of carbonation visible. There is a foamy white head that dissipates into a cap and leaves a good amount of lacing. Had aromas of sweet, grainy cereals and strawberries. Taste is grainy and sweet with a bit of earthy bitterness making an appearance. Very light and drinkable with a decent amount of carbonation. There is a lightly sweet aftertaste that lingers for a short while.

Overall: I'll admit that I haven't had many cream ales, but this is the best that I can remember. This is an awesome, drinkable beer. If I lived in Wisconsin, I would get a pitcher of this every time I went to a bar.

2.66/5  rDev -27.1%

My respectful parents were nice enough to bring back a menagerie of New Glarus beer when they crossed through Wisconsin. Always nice to know people who travel and know you like good beer. Had three bottles of Spotted Cow in a sampler pack.

Well, the pour was a pale gold. Nothing unusual or multispectral in colour. All I expect from a cream ale. Somewhat of a murk to it. Very gentle murk.

Smells very light of fresh straw, a tad citrusy, sweet corn... all pretty light.

Taste: Light sweet corn kind of a taste which is nice, not unpleasant, a tad muted lemon... tastes like... well... beer, for lack of better terms. Has a bit of a cream of wheat thing going on. All the flavors are pretty well evened out all the way through.

The mouthfeel certainly saves the day and makes it a very clean but not entirely crisp beer which is cool. It lives up to it's cream ale style. Mouthfeel is probably the best cream ale mouthfeel I have had in a beer to date.

Overall nothing out of this world but I can definitely see why this is one of Wisconsin's most popular craft beers. It appeals to many crowds and is utterly non offensive. A winner for those who enjoy good beer and those who may have no idea what good beer is.

3.26/5  rDev -10.7%

I was recently at a bar here in Wisconsin and asked what "this Spotted Cow business" was all about... "You've never had the Spotted Cow?!" the bartender asked, incredulous. "I'm not from around here..." He quickly poured a sample for me, saying very few people don't like this beer.

Pours a vivid but cloudy pale golden orange with a fluffy white head. Yeast, orange, and hops are present on the nose, as well as a hint of something floral. Creamy indeed! The citrus is mellowed significantly by the sweetness of the grains (barley flakes and a hint of corn, according to the bottle). Though I enjoyed the initial burst of sweetness from the cream, the sweetness from the grain is a bit much for my palate. Playful carbonation.

Edit: After having a couple more, I've decided that I'm not as keen on this as I initially judged. It's that grainy over-sweetness. Narsty. I have thus dropped the smell and taste by half a point from my original review.

4.24/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Spotted cow is a staple in my diet. a good full flavored beer with a sweet malt that just melts in your mouth. Poured into a pint glass this beer has a small amount of head with good looking lace, color is a nice light gold while being quite cloudy. I highly recommend this beer.

Appearance - A hazy golden straw color with a touch of sunlight and a nice white head and good lacing.

Smell - Light and crisp with some fruity notes and a hint of hops on top of a sweet light grain smell.

Taste - Smooth in a great balance with the lively carbonation. There is just a touch of bitterness and a touch of corn. It leaves you wanting more and disappointed when the bottle is empty.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation and malt base really play well together making this light ale feel a little heavier and not like a light beer.

Overall - I loved it. There is not anotherlight ale that can match the balance of bitterness, malt background with the excellent carbonation. I feel the need to head to Wisconsin and smell their "Dairy Air" and have another Spotted Cow.

3.64/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Pours a hazy yellow color very little head that disappears fast leaving nothing.

S-Mild fruit smell but more sourdough/yeast.

T-Similar to the smell,fruit and yeast with a tart or sour finish.it reminds me more of a Belgian beer,which I love!

M-Light bodied low carbonation.Smooth on the palate but I wouldn't say creamey.

D-Very drinkable beer.Love the taste and smell,Belgian/France inspired?I might have to stock this one in the fridge.

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Foggy school bus yellow with a tiny bit of head...rather outer perimeter lacing.

S-The usual with slight citrus notes.

T-Good slightly like a Hefe beginning and malty finish.

M-Smooth without overpowering carbonation.

D- It is a good beer with a high drinkability because many part time beer drinkers express the greatness of this one. I've had this one in a bottle and on-tap at The Brat Stop and The Burlington in (Logan Squre) Chicago.

Spotted Cow from New Glarus Brewing Company