Spotted Cow - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Cream Ale |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spotted Cow Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

4.55/5  rDev +22%

A: Golden yellow. At first glance I commented on how the beer was very clear. After reading the bottle which says that it should be naturally cloudy I took a closer look and there is a very small amount of yeast particles but definitely not cloudy (I deducted for the missed description). I could not get much head out of either of the two bottle I poured for tasting (on two separate days) but the half finger head did last several minutes.

S: Sweet malts, I noted pilsner, and sweet corn adjunct. I know I just used "sweet" twice but it does not smell overly sweet at all. Slight lemon citrus smell which I take to be from hopping.

T: For me this is the highlight of the beer. It is sweet but finishes clean. Pilsner, corn, slight lemon citrus, and yeast can all be tasted but none stand out above the rest. I believe the carbonation adds to the citrus because the lemon flavor declined as the carbonation did (I take my time tasting).

Mf: Light and easy to drink. The "cream" texture is definitely there but the beer still finishes clean. Very pleasant to drink.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. It is very drinkable and pleasant but honestly it's a little boring. Its the sort of thing you can drink with your friends who aren't into craft brew but might be under appreciated by beer snobs (hopefully that makes sense).

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Personally, this is my favorite beer to date. I love the smooth taste of this Farmhouse Ale.
It is refreshing and goes well with a steak, Wisconsin cheese plate, or pizza.

We have been to the New Glarus Oktoberfest now two years in a row. Very nice town, with losts of New Glarus Brewery's finest.

I highly recommend touring the brewery, it's free. If you see Dan (Brew Master) or Deb (President), also married, talk to them and they will educated you on their product.

Spotted Cow is not filtered, which gives it the cloudy appearance. Take some for Tailgaiting sometime....especially at a Packer's game.

Go Pack!!!