Spotted Cow - New Glarus Brewing Company

good

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Cream Ale |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2002)

Profane, Dec 21, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

From 12/18/11 notes.

a - Pours a pale yellow color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of bready malts, grains, spices, light fruit. Not bad, but a bit bland in the nose.

t - Tastes of bready malts, cream, light toasted malts, grain, light fruit and floral notes. Cream is definitely here in the taste and much better than the nose.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Super smooth and creamy, and very very easy to drink. Best part of the beer.

o - Overall an interesting beer. The nose is a bit bland, but than the taste is very bready and creamy, which is pretty nice. The mouthfeel is near perfect, and it would be very easy to have a few of these. Something I'd like to try again sometime.

mdfb79, Dec 20, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

This one came at me from an unexpected angle. When I saw the bottle, the name "Spotted Cow" immediately made me think of milk stout. I suppose for a cream ale, it makes sense, too. Very bright and lively, with some lemony tartness that called to mind a super-mild Berliner weisse crossed with a German pilsner. Surpisingly drinkable, and the ABV would make this an ideal quencher. This may be the first cream ale that really caught my attention.

Brent, Dec 19, 2011

pchep, Dec 16, 2011

Beertracker, Dec 16, 2011

trevorjk, Dec 15, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -22.3%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass - hazy golden with thin white head, decent lace.

Smells of cream, banana, like a wit with no clove or other spice. Slight citrus, no real hop presence.

Super light bodied, very carbonated. Banana flavors, mildly tart. Very refreshing and crisp. Soda mouthfeel. Faint notes of sweet corn.

I'd probably like a few of these here in Florida on a hot day. Easily the lightest body out of all the cream ales I've had. Not sure why the bottle says farmhouse but BA categorizes it a cream ale. Definitely a lawnmower beer, but more drinkable than standard yellow swill.

xpdrinker, Dec 15, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

A: kind of a golden straw color, very clear, foamy white head and minimal lacing

S: citrus hops, some malt as well, sweet smell

T: grainy, bready, very mild flavors, virtually no aftertaste to speak of

M: creamy and smooth with somewhat of a bite. The beer has a decent crispness to it. Light medium bodied.

O: Not my favorite of all the New Glarus Beers i've tasted. this one had kind of subdued and boring flavors. It didn't taste bad but it didn't make me want to keep drinking it.

Crundy, Dec 15, 2011

mull0263, Dec 14, 2011

Shango42, Dec 14, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a very light, transparent, golden color with a healthy finger of head that only stuck around long enough for a couple sips. Lots of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Not much of a nose, just a faint smell of lemon, wet wood, and other unidentifiable grains.

First taste is medium spiciness and vanilla but fades to a sweet grain taste as you drink it. Quite unremarkable, just a boring beer to me. It's a bit fizzy, burns the throat a touch on the way down. Overall, a passable beer but nothing to go out of your way for.

willseph, Dec 14, 2011

Yourneighborsdog, Dec 13, 2011

southhousebrew, Dec 13, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

mentaltraveller, Dec 12, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +18.8%

A close friend brought me this one from a friend of a friend out of Wisconsin with some pretty high expectations. I had heard of the spotted cow but this was my first sip.

I'm not sure about calling this beer a cream ale but I think I might of called it a pale but that's not my job.

I thought the nose and flavor worked perfect and matched the appearances well. light and refreshing but full flavor.

by the end of this delight I had several notes and all I was thinking was , how can I reproduce this beer. I will be spending some great time trying down the ingredients in this beer

Keeton, Dec 12, 2011

jak, Dec 12, 2011

benjbrunner, Dec 11, 2011

mhaugo, Dec 11, 2011

sgoro, Dec 11, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -10.7%

I had this beer during a holiday gathering. It complemented several dishes. It's drinkability is average - If I was in Wisconsin I'd pick up a six pack of this.

Appearance: Honey colored, creamy head. Fair lacing. Also, due to being at a friends place - was drinking this out of juice glass. Take that for what you will.

Smell: It was hard to get my nose in the juice glass - but faint sweetness, no dominant hops or malt smells.

Taste: It's better than other things - low on the complexity scale - but that's not a bad thing - if you was a clean slightly sweet simple beer - this is a great choice.

Mouthfeel: A little thin.

Overall: This is a great beer to get someone who hasn't had anything other than bud light or pabst blue ribbon. In fact I would call this a great stepping stone beer. But once you know better- I don't know that you would like this beer any more than your average run of the mill pale. It is what it is - and that is fine by me.

kristenrae8, Dec 11, 2011