Spotted Cow - New Glarus Brewing Company

good

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Cream Ale |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
mwilbur

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into cervoise.
A: Pours a clear golden yellow with slight fizz...very similar to apple juice in color.
S: Honey, faint hops, not much honestly.
T: Cream, honey, faint hops and malt.
M: Smooth and creamy.
D: Quite drinkable. A nice beer, but fairly bland. I swear this tasted better the last time I had this. Perhaps I'll come back to this review and amend in the future if future quaffs are different. Thanks to my wife for bringing this one back from Madison for me.

10-24-2008 03:41:51 | More by mwilbur
dmamiano

West Virginia

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

For some reason am surprised to see this labeled as a cream ale.
Poured a very light straw color with a pretty big haze and nice white head. Lacing is good.
Taste is of sweet malts and fairly minimal in the hop dept. Very yeasty almost reminded me of some type of Belgian yeast strain.

01-01-2008 13:36:19 | More by dmamiano
shadow1961

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

New Glarus Spotted Cow pours a finger of foam over a slightly cloudy
yellow brew. Carbonation is steady, and the nose is ale yeast and barley
malt. The flavor is crisp, slightly sweet barley malt with notes of citrus and
corn, with the smallest hint of herbal hop and grain in the finish. It's smooth,
crisp, and quenching- all you really want out of a cream ale. Good stuff!

08-21-2007 07:41:10 | More by shadow1961
Beezee

02-17-2012 04:13:42 | More by Beezee
brewskifan55

Mississippi

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass

A: a cloudy golden with a white one finger head that dissipates fast. Light lacing.

S: Picking up grains, corn and barley. Also some light hoppiness.

T: Citrus featuring lemons. A corny graininess. Light, refreshing ,with a dry finish.

M: light to medium with low carbonation.

O: Didn't really blow me away. A nice lawn mowing beer. Smooth but kinda boring. Sort of like a cow standing out in a field.

12-29-2013 20:26:07 | More by brewskifan55

05-08-2013 02:34:05 | More by MNBeer1017
Dithyramb

Maryland

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

Milky, pale straw appearance with no head. Very slight hints of lacing on the side and no carbonation within the brew itself. Appeared pretty limp for a bottle conditioned brew.
Lemon and farm funk aroma.
From the description on the bottle and the smell, I thought originally that this would be a saison. Flavor didn't match. After looking it up, it does seem to fit very well with the classic cream ale. Basically, no hops in there to speak of, with a sedate malt profile. Flavors of citrus, wet paper, and dry popcorn.

Mouthfeel was light, with no harshness, but not smooth and creamy either. It should have possibly been sampled during the hot summer months. This would probably work better as a lawnmower brew.

Drinkability gets an average. I wouldn't knock people over to try it, but I wouldn't shun it either.

02-02-2005 13:56:31 | More by Dithyramb
kkrez

Colorado

11-14-2011 22:52:50 | More by kkrez
ferrari29

3.55/5  rDev -4.3%

Beer poured from bottle into Mug shaped glass

A - Beer poured with a cloudy, golden color body; had plenty visible floating sediment of yeast; lots of carbonation; one finger head formed and dissipated rather quickly, white in color and frothy looking; the body and head of the beer appeared a bit oily

S - Malty and bit airy like a lager; slight fruit and yeast back-end; corn or grainy notes to it; some wood smell to it from cask

T - Fruit and yeast bite to it when you first take a sip, which disappears pretty quickly; some corn and mostly grains; malty goodness on the back end; aftertaste is grainy; little wood taste to it from cask

M - Slight oily body; not very effervescent; crisp and clean finish on the palate; good balance of corn and malted barley

D - I'm more impressed with the smell than the taste; I still like this brew and I'm always impressed with New Glarus beers; they always make a quality beer

04-22-2011 03:10:25 | More by ferrari29
RoamingGnome

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

Took the family out for dinner the other weekend and jotted these notes down on the kiddie placemat. My options were mostly mass produced swill so New Glarus was a no brainer. Spotted Cow on tap. I could go 16 oz or 23 oz per the waitress, once again a no brainer.

A) Looks tasty, kind of thick looking. A hazy yellow, with a good inch of white head that faded pretty quick, nice lacing in the pilsner style glass.

S) No wow factor here. I'd say fresh bread, little bit of fruit scent.

T) Very creamy... Made me think of Sleeman's Cream Ale. I haven't had one of those Canadian beers in way too long. Good after taste is a plus.

M) I like it. This stuff just sticks right to my grill.

O) I really enjoy this brew, but how this is New Glarus's best seller is a mystery to me. They have many offerings that I routinely purchase in favor of it.

05-21-2011 02:28:28 | More by RoamingGnome

02-26-2014 18:55:40 | More by Inglewood
czfreeman

4.19/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Brought yesterday in a new mixed pack.
Poured into my New Glarus glass, very light golden-straw tone.Mild haziness, head is very nice. Thick and creamy, good medium carbonation.
Smells of apples, pepper, light grain, pale wheat maybe, actually smells quite a bit like an american Hefe. Pears, and some biscuit serve to round it out.
Flavor-sweet biscuit malt, wheat, lemon, pepper, apple, pear, grassy. I will not go so far as others to say this is like BMC in the fact that there is no diacetyl, and it is well balanced.
If this were the first NG beer I had...I would have been slightly disappointed. After trying as many of Mr. Carey's creations over the last few months as I could, I appreciate it.
They make beer for Wisconsin. Full of college kids and older traditional drinkers.. I can't very well see either being open to Serendipity or the Unplugged series, or Coffee Stout...etc. I really like Oberon and and the occasional 312 in summer...both just got replaced? Yes.
A gateway beer that is also really friggin' good?Brewed by a master brewer who cut his teeth in Germany and knows a thing or two about session beer?...only in Wisconsin

01-23-2013 02:04:14 | More by czfreeman
WVUbrew

West Virginia

06-29-2014 23:51:23 | More by WVUbrew
beermanbrian

2.83/5  rDev -23.7%

This beer is average in every sense. Pale cloudy gold color, thin almost non-existant white head. Smell is very mild malt, touch of spice. Taste is rather bland, grainy tasting. Cream ale style says highly carbonated, which this one isn't. It just sits on the palate, no moutfeel at all. Maybe it's the styles i've been drinking lately but this beer holds no draw for me. I'll pass on this one in the future.

03-07-2006 01:08:15 | More by beermanbrian
Knoxrb12

03-01-2014 18:38:42 | More by Knoxrb12
Golden2wenty1

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

Had a picher at the Silver Dollar here in Madison. Spotted Cow is pretty much an institution here in SW Wisconsin, the kinda beer that you bring out when relatives or Busch Light drinkers are around to seem cultured. I remembered it being better than what I had last night, probably because I haven't tried it since becoming a BA and enjoying so many great beers.

Pours a golden straw color with minimal to no head. In the bottle it's much more cloudy and interesting to look at. Smells surprisingly macro and adjuncty - mostly wheat and corn. Taste is disappointingly the same, lots of corn and with a hint of cooked vegetables. Really not impressed by this stuff anymore. Maybe I've just been ruined by all the delicious complex dark beers I've been enjoying of late, but the ol' Cow just doesn't do it for me anymore. It's not BAD, but not something I would pick up a sixer of on my way to a party anymore.

07-23-2005 16:40:19 | More by Golden2wenty1
sendsilk

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Ok, my first New Glarus beer ever, Yeah!! I guess I could have chosen a more interesting style but the friggin writing on the side explaining what the hell it was, was written too small so I really didn't know what this was.

A- Nice and crisp and clean. Looks just like a American Adjunct.

S- Smells a shitpile better than a Bud though! Quite a bit of citrus on the nose.

T- Pretty nice actually, fairly creamy and complex for something so clear and clean. Nice aftertaste.

M- Pretty well spot on. Never had a cream ale before so maybe expected a little thicker mouthfeel.

O- Good, solid beer, just nothing to jump up and down about.

07-31-2011 04:58:06 | More by sendsilk
EricCioe

Montana

3.33/5  rDev -10.2%

This pours a slightly opaque full gold with a one finger off white head fading down to something less than a sheet with no lace. On the nose there is a big note of wet grain, pretty pleasant. After that, the only thing I can think of is the cereal Apple Jacks. In the mouth the sweet grains hang out on the front of the tongue. Is this what corn tastes like when it's added for flavor and not economics? It's not bad. The problem is that there isn't a whole lot else going on. Maybe some really, really light fruit further back. The body is light, the finish medium with the fruit hanging out for a bit, and the carbonation is pleasant. I guess I associate brews with corn to brews with ridiculous carbonation that fills me up, and this isn't that.

Overall, this is a decent beer, proof that corn can be used in a positive way in a beer. I wish there were a little more going on but it's pretty good as is. I bet lots of cheese eaters drink this an awful lot in the summer. It'd doubtless be a nice change from wheat beers in the summer. Thanks to my old pal Agro for the assist.

05-19-2011 02:08:13 | More by EricCioe