2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Thumbprint Apple Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

Thumbprint Apple AleThumbprint Apple Ale

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Skidz on 09-25-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Apple Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 989 | Reviews: 408 | Show All Ratings:
hwwty4

Missouri

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Once again thanks to GbVDave for this one.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Boulevard Smokestack chalice. This beer pours a golden caramel copper with just a slight off white head that receded into just a thin line around the inside of the glass. As the beer disappears from my glass, no lacing is present. As somewhat of a cider aficionado, I definitely expected a slight haze from the apples but to my surprise it poured completely crystal clear. The aroma is fresh off the tree golden golden delicious apples coated in sweet caramel eaten off a stick at the fairgrounds. The flavor is exactly the same. It completely reminds me of a fresh artisanal caramel apple. It's completely amazing how they bottled that flavor. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and just finishes a little to sweet. New Glarus, in my opinion makes the best fruit beers. There is nothing better then a fruit beer from New Glarus. Amazing.

05-26-2009 00:56:12 | More by hwwty4
AleWatcher

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Wow. I cannot believe I haven't reviewed this one. I love this beer-- possibly one of my top fruit beers... But certainly one of my wife's top picks!

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a orangey gold with a white head that bubbles down to a thin wisp of micro-bubbles, leaving some thin streaks of lace that almost-but-not-quite form rings.

Wow. This is like cider. It is just fantastic. Nice sweetness up front, but the finish is crisp and dry. It isn't like a crappy "malternative" that is overly sweet-- this has found that perfect balance and comes across as delicious.
Really well done.

The body is -- wow... it's like sparkling. Lots of carbonation that is composed of light and tiny champagne-esque bubbles. Some little cinnamon notes come through here too.

I love this beer. This will forever remain on my wants list!

11-27-2011 05:06:38 | More by AleWatcher
Strix

4.72/5  rDev +14%

Clear pale orange, little head.

Smells of apples and cherries, slight cinnamon note

I can taste apple, pear, orange dreamsicle, and candied apple. Interesting and complex.

Medium mouthfeel, bubbly carbonation.

This beer rocked. Complex and delicious.

12-21-2010 02:45:47 | More by Strix
mrand01

4.72/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle tasted with nicoco. Poured into a Tyranena tulip.

A: Clear, coppery brown...a little darker than apple juice. Pours with a small amount of head that quickly dissipates. Thin lacing that disappears quick.

S: Apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, some caramel malt.

T: Caramel malt, apples, not much spice in the taste. Sweet, but not overbearing. Almost cider-like.

M: Light to medium bodied with light carbonation.

O: Excellent brew. The fruit is balanced nice with the malt. Normally I'd be disappointed by the absence of hops, but not with this one.

11-28-2011 00:34:18 | More by mrand01
clvand0

Kentucky

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks to kmpitz2 for bringing one of these for tasting. This one pours an amber color with a very small head that dissipates quickly and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. Awesome aroma. Apples and more apples. Not tart or sour, but just a nice apple smell. Not sure how they did that and avoided the sourness. The flavor is excellent. Lots of non-sour apple flavor with some caramel. Wish I knew how they did this beer because I would brew it as my house beer. Loved it.

12-07-2004 18:45:04 | More by clvand0
afausser

Montana

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Bottle courtesy of nflmvp. Thanks to a great trader, and very happy to be enjoying this one on New Year's Eve!!

Appearance: Pours a peachy orange. Fizzy, with very little head, and carbonation almost like sparkling cider. Leaves a thin ring of lacing with large carbonation bubbles.

Smell: No surprise here--apples and cider, as well as some spices (cloves?) and a fair amount of malts in the nose.

Taste: Tastes nearly like apple juice, with a syrupy sweet alcohol taste that is barely present. It actually shocked me how little you can taste the alcohol here. It's sweet and fizzy, starting out with sweet apples and moving to a slightly tart aftertaste in the finish. Simple, but delicious, and well done. There's something in the aftertaste that's not quite apples, which as it warms turns out to be a light white grapefruit, and a hint of light grapes as well. Tastes like real fruit--delicious in its simplicity.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, large carbonation makes the apple juice taste really pop and stand out, as well as adding the illusion of a slight spice in the aftertaste. Well done.

Drinkability: VERY drinkable--though also filling. Would love to have this over and over again.

01-01-2010 03:16:35 | More by afausser
semibaked

Kentucky

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Many Thanks to northernbrews for hooking me up with this.

Pours into a pint glass.

A - Pours a slightly dark apple juice color with a little white head on top that disappears quickly, also has the body is crystal clear and doesn't have much carbonation either.

S - Huge amount of apple juice and cider smells which I love but no much else.

T - HOLY CRAP is this good, Big Time apple flavors with many some slight cinnamon and a touch of lemon. Pretty tastes like a top notch hard cider.

M - Tons of carbonation, absolutely the most crisp and clean beer I have ever had.

D - Amazingly refreshing, goes down super easy and tastes amazing, New Glarus needs to do 2 things, make this beer again and distribute it to Michigan (my house specifically).

03-30-2010 00:56:56 | More by semibaked
themedievalist

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

I think the moment I realized beer was really amazing was when I tried the New Glarus Raspberry Tart, so this brewery has a special place in my heart even though, living in New York, I very rarely have the chance to enjoy their offerings. But my boyfriend got his hands on a couple, and since he knows I like this sort of thing, he offered one to me. It pours a very clear copper shade, with a small head that dissipates quickly; a great deal of carbonation is visible at first, but soon disappears. The nose is rather light, with just a hint of that slight apple-and-vinegar scent one finds in some ciders. The taste, too, recalls apple cider, and as far as I'm concerned, this beer is absolutely delicious. The dominant flavor is sharp, flavorful apples; the light carbonation really allows that flavor to stand out. I have a feeling I'll be trying to steal the second one of these from my boyfriend's closet ...

01-27-2011 04:04:55 | More by themedievalist
abents

4.68/5  rDev +13%

Pours out a light transparent copper with a light head that's gone pretty quickly. Smells of tart green apples, slight spices, and more apples. Taste is a very refreshing apple flavor with a slight tartness to it that balances very well. Slight maltiness in there makes it not taste completely like a cider. Very nicely done, not as good as the Raspberry I don't think, but still very spot on and delicious. Wish they would make this one year round too.

03-09-2009 02:39:12 | More by abents
heliosphann

Indiana

4.68/5  rDev +13%

12oz bottle. Poured in a pint glass. Yet another brew I received multiples from various traders. Big ups to all those cats.

A: Pours a golden orange. Very little head if any. Leaves some oily, top lacing.

S: Apple Juice and more Apple Juice. Seriously, you could to a blind sniff test and trick quite a few people. There's also some hints of spice and malty sweetness.

T: Big, juicy apple goodness. If I didn't know this was a beer, I'd swear it was a dry cider. Very sweet and a tad bit of tartness on the finish. Also some creamy caramel malts with a small amount of biscuit to round things out. Delicious.

M: Mouthfeel is surprisingly thicker than expected.There's some decent carbonation and it really sits well in the mouth.

D: I think my friend kept stealing sips, because the glass was gone before I knew it. Like I said, this could almost be a good cider or quality apple juice.

I've had this a few times now and have enjoyed ever sip. I'm kind of upset that I discovered this beer after it's very hard to obtain. This is one of those beers I'd love to let non-beer people try. New Glarus are easily the kings of producing fruited beers here in the US. I'd love to see them revisit this as a seasonal offering.

09-20-2009 21:06:49 | More by heliosphann
richkrull

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured a transparent copper/amber color with a little bit of white head on it. Smell is nice and fruity. The apples really come through. Taste is the same, heavy on the apples with a little bit of malt. Light mouthfeel, this is a smooth, easy drinking beer. Overall another great fruit beer from NG. This is a really good beer.

04-18-2011 00:36:19 | More by richkrull
dhannes

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Was able to still find a 4-pack; paired with a caramel cashew sundae. Poured into a pint glass.

A=Nice golden color; head was overly foamy at the start and quickly went away.

S=Like green apples...perhaps a bit of mustiness.

T=This is my first apple beer (and I've yet to try any hard apple ciders), so nothing to compare with. Green apple tartness with lots of sweetness...almost seemed to need ice to keep it refreshing.

M=Excellent...very drinkable, even more so than most light beers, with almost no carbonation...was actually expecting more carbonation and am almost wondering if this pour went flat prematurely.

O=Recommended try, especially when it first comes out, on hotter days, and well chilled.

01-31-2012 03:12:51 | More by dhannes
PsilohsaiBiN

4.64/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Looks like apple juice with some carbonation and a bit of head.

Smell: Smells like fresh apple cider, just amazing.

Taste: To simplify, this tastes just like a perfect apple cider/beer hybrid.

Mouthfeel: Modest carbonation with a light-medium body. Very drinkable.

Overall: I can get used to this New Glarus fruit beer thing, haven't been let down yet.

12-28-2013 05:45:49 | More by PsilohsaiBiN
katiebecck

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

My favorite fruit beer out there, from one who does not generally like fruit beers.

A - Attractive clear gold color, lots of carbonation, some head that quickly disappears.

S - Has a strong apple aroma, with traces of bready malt.

T - Apple flavor hits the tongue right away, followed by notes of bready malts that serve as an exceptional balance to the sweetness of the apples. At no point is the beer too sweet.

M - highly carbonated, light and refreshing feel in the mouth

D - the most drinkable apple ale I've tried. Never gets too sweet, great for a hot summer day. So glad that New Glarus re-released this exceptional beer.

02-23-2009 19:22:48 | More by katiebecck
brew3crew

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

In line at founders for CBS

A-golden yellow with no head whatsoever

S-nice sour apple. Wow blows me away. Almost

T-so good. Like a very good apple cider. With alcohol.

M-medium body and smooth

O-wow. So good. " liquid McDonald's apple pie"

10-01-2011 10:39:00 | More by brew3crew
NODAK

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Aroma is of red apple juice....mostly sweet, somewhat tart...but definitely something that would be hard to differentiate from apple juice.

Taste is initially of tasty, sweet apple juice as you'd expect from the store....there is a slight bready quality in the middle that gives the impression this is more of an adult juice, but not much. On the end, there's a hint of tart that wraps it up cleanly and delicious.

Honestly, this couldn't be any more delicious if they tried. It's adult apple juice basically. It's better than any cider I can recall having.

01-03-2014 01:05:12 | More by NODAK
Pauly2X

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

A- Deep clear gold, half finger head.

S- There's a hint of barley, but other than that it smells like apple juice.

T- The taste is mostly apple, no doubt. Take a high quality apple juice with a solid malty flavor midway to the end. Finishes slightly tart.

M- Clean and crisp, good carbonation.

D- For a non-traditional beer, great.

If you like fruit beers, get it. If it's not available by you Beer Mail me.

11-13-2008 01:14:18 | More by Pauly2X
dogger6253

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Very appetizing, rich, golden amber color, much like cider. The head is white and very fizzy, it dissapates almost instantly into just a bit of film on top.

There isn't much in the nose, just a hint of green apple and a slight touch of caramel, vanilla and brown sugar. I wish there were more power in these scents.

The flavor is the real shining part of this beer. There is a strong apple base that lets flavors like cinnamon, caramel, brown sugar maple and vanilla. There is great power in each of these flavors, but none of them dominate the others. This is a harmony seldom found in such potent flavors. It is with delay that I rate the taste 5.0 because there is little to really establish this as beer, but the flavor is sublime regardless so I went ahead with the perfect.

The body is nice a thick, not heavy though, much like syrup. There is a little carbonation that lightens the sip at the end, preparing the pallette for the next sip. The refreshing quality of this beer, low alcohol content and great flavor make this one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had, I wish it were a regular offering so I could make it my dedicated session beer. Terrific.

01-16-2011 02:36:42 | More by dogger6253
Retail1LO

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

One of the best, most refreshing beers I've ever had. The light ABV is incredibly refreshing. Had a bottle of this from an extra in a trade. Pours a cider-like, amber color. A thin, whispy head that dissipates quickly. This wreaks of apples in a good way. Wow. The taste is PURE apples and some spice. Almost like a sparkling apple cider, but you know this is a beer when you drink it. The mouthfeel is crisp and effervescent. You can't wait for the next face full of this stuff. Can't wait to have more.

08-23-2011 23:32:53 | More by Retail1LO
AlexFields

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%

APPEARANCE: Light in color, looks like a cider maybe.

SMELL: Apples and sugar. Not super strong on the nose, but promisiing.

TASTE: Delicious. An even mix of sweet apples and those sweet maple sugar candies you can get at Cracker Barrel. The sweetness is similar to the other New Glarus fruit beers, but without any of the tartness. This beer is extremely sweet and extremely good.

MOUTHFEEL: Maybe slightly low in carbonation but it kindof works for this beer. In any case the taste is so good that carbonation isn't on my mind as I'm drinking this.

OVERALL: Another incredible fruit beer from New Glarus. Incredibly tasty and infinitely drinkable, I could probably knock out six in an hour if I didn't stop myself, and I'm usually a slow drinker.

9.5/10

05-04-2011 18:38:06 | More by AlexFields
Docrock

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - poured a light amber color with a small 1/2" head that dissipated rather quickly. lacing is almost non-existent.

S - awesome apple aroma, being a cider fan, this was really appealing. smell like a blend of Fuji and Winesap apples, a touch of spiciness.

T - if I wouldnt have poured the bottle myself I would have sworn i had opened a hard cider, there is a hint of the maltiness that belies the beer, but this is an amazing little brew.

M - a little thin as an ale but more body than a cider. the carbonation is light and just right. there is a slight sweetness in the aftertaste, but it balances the apple tartness nicely.

O - i am really upset i didnt buy more than a 4 pack of this. hopefully i will be able to find again next time i am in Wisconsin. I could drink a bunch of this in warm weather, very refreshing. I might even include in a cider tasting to do some side by sides.

01-25-2013 02:38:41 | More by Docrock
Golden2wenty1

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Picked up a single at Bottle Stop Liquor here in Madison. Probably one of the last bottles left in the area. Glad I gave this little shop a look.

Pours a pretty copper/amber color, crystal clear with a short foamy head that disappears in a few seconds. Nose is...APPLES. Delicious homemade apple cider. Yummy. Taste is....drumroll....APPLES. Slightly tart, sour, but still very sweet apple cider. This is one damn tasty brew. Probably too sweet for a lot of BAs out there, but I don't mind sweetness in beer usually, especially in a fruit beer. Mouthfeel is crisp and bubbly like champagne. Insanely refreshing on a hot August night. I could have drank a gallon of this stuff, but sadly I had but a bottle. If you can find this stuff and have an open mind toward fruit beers, I HIGHLY suggest you give it a try.

08-09-2005 17:57:54 | More by Golden2wenty1
cdkrenz

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Nice thin amber colored body. The head is about a 1/4 inch tall and fades away quickly. For a fruit beer it looks decent.

S - Apple cider aroma with a malty hint.

T - Pungent apple flavor with a hint of spice and hops. I've never had a better apple brew.

M - The feel has a coarse texture that helps to bring out the pungent taste. Very nice!

~ One and I'm probably done. That's usually all I can do when it comes to the fruit line.

05-08-2009 01:26:30 | More by cdkrenz
JohnQVegas

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass, winding down another glorious early fall day full of football. Huge thanks to Mike (mikesgroove) for hooking me up with a beer that's definitely been on my most-wanted list.

Pours golden-amber, clear, with no head whatsoever to speak of. Rather lackluster. (Score bumped up because it's simply worth too much. a 3 in App shouldn't bring this from an A to an A-).

Nose is very interesting - as has been said before, if i didn't know what I had been handed, I would guess apple juice. Towards the end there's just a bit of - something beery - that pokes through, but it's hard to really put me finger on what.

Taste is phenomenal. Sweet apples hit you up front, with a sparkling carbonation that gives a nice bite underneath the apple-juice exterior. More cider than beer initially, but definitely on the sweeter side, just a bit of non-descript malt pokes out towards the finish to help dry the experience out a bit. Stellar.

Mouthfeel is crisp and light to medium bodied, maybe a hair syrupy, but you really have to look for it. The sharpness of the carbonation does wonders for this.

Drinkability is astonishing. I wouldn't be surprised if this used the exact same base recipe as Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart. Delicious beer. I'm disappointed that the low appearance score hurts this as much as it does, so I'm artificially bumping appearance - this is easily an A beer.

10-05-2009 00:34:52 | More by JohnQVegas
BarrytheBear

12 oz red foil laden bottle into a flute glass

Effervescent yellow with a white collar. Surface is continually barraged by an army of aggressive bubblage.

Smells like the holidays. Cinnamon doused apple pie, both sweet and tart.

Oh, the things New Glarus does with fruit. Beautiful interplay of sweet and tart apples. Pie crust and cinnamon also showcased. Highly enjoyable and scary how the smell and tastes of this beer play into memories of childhood and holiday time with family.

Light, crisp and extremely refreshing. More juicy than dry. Drinks more like juice than a cider like Wood Charles.

This is the epitome of drinkability. So fresh, so accessible and low in alcohol, and so pleasant to drink on a rainy fall afternoon. Thank you, New Glarus.

11-13-2010 19:42:25 | More by BarrytheBear