Thumbprint Apple Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Skidz on 09-25-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Apple Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,474 | Reviews: 448
4.75/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Apple Cider assault on the senses. Wonderful rendition of a fruit beer. Best cider alternative I've had

4.74/5  rDev +14.8%

This is the 2012 vintage which, due to the Midwest drought, uses Washington Fuji apples instead of a Wisconsin variety.

Pours a thick, dense, white head that has good persistence. Aroma is euphoric; bright, tart apple dominates the nose, but there is a nice yeasty aroma that smells like fresh apple skin, with a malty, almost woody hint behind that. Color is a straw-amber. Flavor starts sweet, brightly tart, and rich with apples. There is an underlying syrup-like (in the pleasant, not overpowering or over sweet) sweetness as the malt blends with the apples. It's a very dry bier; after the apple caresses your tongue, it's a clean, smooth, malt finish. This is a much thicker liquid than cider, and whereas cider becomes yeasty/apple skin bitter in the finish, the wheated brown ale slips through, leaving the finish satisfyingly malty.

This is phenomenal. I remember liking the 2009 (I think it was) version the best, but each and every year of this is gold (I'd only have about an 1/8 point variance between the 2009 and this).
I am a big fan of cider, but in all honesty, New Glarus Apple Ale is better than ANY cider I've ever had. Like I said, that malt finish replaces the low-point of cider with one of the high-points of bier.

4.74/5  rDev +14.8%

Once again thanks to GbVDave for this one.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Boulevard Smokestack chalice. This beer pours a golden caramel copper with just a slight off white head that receded into just a thin line around the inside of the glass. As the beer disappears from my glass, no lacing is present. As somewhat of a cider aficionado, I definitely expected a slight haze from the apples but to my surprise it poured completely crystal clear. The aroma is fresh off the tree golden golden delicious apples coated in sweet caramel eaten off a stick at the fairgrounds. The flavor is exactly the same. It completely reminds me of a fresh artisanal caramel apple. It's completely amazing how they bottled that flavor. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and just finishes a little to sweet. New Glarus, in my opinion makes the best fruit beers. There is nothing better then a fruit beer from New Glarus. Amazing.

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%

(A) Good look. Clear, Clean, signs of carbonation and no apple chunks.
(S) Delightful. Apple aroma could be smelled long before bringing the glass to my mouth.
(T) Fantastic! A great taste, like slightly sour green apples but with the sweetness of apple pie.
(M) Good. Crisp and clean, but a little too bubbly for my palate.
(D) This goes down the hatch with ease. Chug, Swig, or sip just a great, drinkable beers.
A beer that could be introduced to non-beer drinkers as a gateway beer.
Way to go New Glarus!

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%

Wow. I cannot believe I haven't reviewed this one. I love this beer-- possibly one of my top fruit beers... But certainly one of my wife's top picks!

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a orangey gold with a white head that bubbles down to a thin wisp of micro-bubbles, leaving some thin streaks of lace that almost-but-not-quite form rings.

Wow. This is like cider. It is just fantastic. Nice sweetness up front, but the finish is crisp and dry. It isn't like a crappy "malternative" that is overly sweet-- this has found that perfect balance and comes across as delicious.
Really well done.

The body is -- wow... it's like sparkling. Lots of carbonation that is composed of light and tiny champagne-esque bubbles. Some little cinnamon notes come through here too.

I love this beer. This will forever remain on my wants list!

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle tasted with nicoco. Poured into a Tyranena tulip.

A: Clear, coppery brown...a little darker than apple juice. Pours with a small amount of head that quickly dissipates. Thin lacing that disappears quick.

S: Apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, some caramel malt.

T: Caramel malt, apples, not much spice in the taste. Sweet, but not overbearing. Almost cider-like.

M: Light to medium bodied with light carbonation.

O: Excellent brew. The fruit is balanced nice with the malt. Normally I'd be disappointed by the absence of hops, but not with this one.

4.69/5  rDev +13.6%

Clear pale orange, little head.

Smells of apples and cherries, slight cinnamon note

I can taste apple, pear, orange dreamsicle, and candied apple. Interesting and complex.

Medium mouthfeel, bubbly carbonation.

This beer rocked. Complex and delicious.

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Was able to still find a 4-pack; paired with a caramel cashew sundae. Poured into a pint glass.

A=Nice golden color; head was overly foamy at the start and quickly went away.

S=Like green apples...perhaps a bit of mustiness.

T=This is my first apple beer (and I've yet to try any hard apple ciders), so nothing to compare with. Green apple tartness with lots of sweetness...almost seemed to need ice to keep it refreshing.

M=Excellent...very drinkable, even more so than most light beers, with almost no carbonation...was actually expecting more carbonation and am almost wondering if this pour went flat prematurely.

O=Recommended try, especially when it first comes out, on hotter days, and well chilled.

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Thanks to kmpitz2 for bringing one of these for tasting. This one pours an amber color with a very small head that dissipates quickly and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. Awesome aroma. Apples and more apples. Not tart or sour, but just a nice apple smell. Not sure how they did that and avoided the sourness. The flavor is excellent. Lots of non-sour apple flavor with some caramel. Wish I knew how they did this beer because I would brew it as my house beer. Loved it.

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Many Thanks to northernbrews for hooking me up with this.

Pours into a pint glass.

A - Pours a slightly dark apple juice color with a little white head on top that disappears quickly, also has the body is crystal clear and doesn't have much carbonation either.

S - Huge amount of apple juice and cider smells which I love but no much else.

T - HOLY CRAP is this good, Big Time apple flavors with many some slight cinnamon and a touch of lemon. Pretty tastes like a top notch hard cider.

M - Tons of carbonation, absolutely the most crisp and clean beer I have ever had.

D - Amazingly refreshing, goes down super easy and tastes amazing, New Glarus needs to do 2 things, make this beer again and distribute it to Michigan (my house specifically).

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

I think the moment I realized beer was really amazing was when I tried the New Glarus Raspberry Tart, so this brewery has a special place in my heart even though, living in New York, I very rarely have the chance to enjoy their offerings. But my boyfriend got his hands on a couple, and since he knows I like this sort of thing, he offered one to me. It pours a very clear copper shade, with a small head that dissipates quickly; a great deal of carbonation is visible at first, but soon disappears. The nose is rather light, with just a hint of that slight apple-and-vinegar scent one finds in some ciders. The taste, too, recalls apple cider, and as far as I'm concerned, this beer is absolutely delicious. The dominant flavor is sharp, flavorful apples; the light carbonation really allows that flavor to stand out. I have a feeling I'll be trying to steal the second one of these from my boyfriend's closet ...

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Bottle courtesy of nflmvp. Thanks to a great trader, and very happy to be enjoying this one on New Year's Eve!!

Appearance: Pours a peachy orange. Fizzy, with very little head, and carbonation almost like sparkling cider. Leaves a thin ring of lacing with large carbonation bubbles.

Smell: No surprise here--apples and cider, as well as some spices (cloves?) and a fair amount of malts in the nose.

Taste: Tastes nearly like apple juice, with a syrupy sweet alcohol taste that is barely present. It actually shocked me how little you can taste the alcohol here. It's sweet and fizzy, starting out with sweet apples and moving to a slightly tart aftertaste in the finish. Simple, but delicious, and well done. There's something in the aftertaste that's not quite apples, which as it warms turns out to be a light white grapefruit, and a hint of light grapes as well. Tastes like real fruit--delicious in its simplicity.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, large carbonation makes the apple juice taste really pop and stand out, as well as adding the illusion of a slight spice in the aftertaste. Well done.

Drinkability: VERY drinkable--though also filling. Would love to have this over and over again.

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Looks like apple juice with some carbonation and a bit of head.

Smell: Smells like fresh apple cider, just amazing.

Taste: To simplify, this tastes just like a perfect apple cider/beer hybrid.

Mouthfeel: Modest carbonation with a light-medium body. Very drinkable.

Overall: I can get used to this New Glarus fruit beer thing, haven't been let down yet.

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured a transparent copper/amber color with a little bit of white head on it. Smell is nice and fruity. The apples really come through. Taste is the same, heavy on the apples with a little bit of malt. Light mouthfeel, this is a smooth, easy drinking beer. Overall another great fruit beer from NG. This is a really good beer.

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%

12oz bottle. Poured in a pint glass. Yet another brew I received multiples from various traders. Big ups to all those cats.

A: Pours a golden orange. Very little head if any. Leaves some oily, top lacing.

S: Apple Juice and more Apple Juice. Seriously, you could to a blind sniff test and trick quite a few people. There's also some hints of spice and malty sweetness.

T: Big, juicy apple goodness. If I didn't know this was a beer, I'd swear it was a dry cider. Very sweet and a tad bit of tartness on the finish. Also some creamy caramel malts with a small amount of biscuit to round things out. Delicious.

M: Mouthfeel is surprisingly thicker than expected.There's some decent carbonation and it really sits well in the mouth.

D: I think my friend kept stealing sips, because the glass was gone before I knew it. Like I said, this could almost be a good cider or quality apple juice.

I've had this a few times now and have enjoyed ever sip. I'm kind of upset that I discovered this beer after it's very hard to obtain. This is one of those beers I'd love to let non-beer people try. New Glarus are easily the kings of producing fruited beers here in the US. I'd love to see them revisit this as a seasonal offering.

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours out a light transparent copper with a light head that's gone pretty quickly. Smells of tart green apples, slight spices, and more apples. Taste is a very refreshing apple flavor with a slight tartness to it that balances very well. Slight maltiness in there makes it not taste completely like a cider. Very nicely done, not as good as the Raspberry I don't think, but still very spot on and delicious. Wish they would make this one year round too.

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%

In line at founders for CBS

A-golden yellow with no head whatsoever

S-nice sour apple. Wow blows me away. Almost

T-so good. Like a very good apple cider. With alcohol.

M-medium body and smooth

O-wow. So good. " liquid McDonald's apple pie"

4.61/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into a Riedel tulip glass. The liquid is amber-orange, and produces a yellowish head. The pour produces a ton of bubbles that stick to the side of the glass underneath the surface of the liquid for a long time, occasionally detaching and shooting up to the top. Looks nice, but I'm not really sure what to compare it to - if anything, it looks kind of like a dark, over-carbonated IPA.

Holy cow this really smells like apples! Not even joking, my grandpa used to run an Apple Orchard, and this smells just like the cooling storage room for the apples there! It's not super-sweet. It's mostly earthy, kind of like the meat of a Red Delicious apple, which is not my favorite kind of actual apple flavor, but it works for a beer smell. Other than the apples, I feel like I smell some cinnamon, although of course I could just be imagining that - maybe a little bit of malt, but it's mostly the apples.

Wow this is a great flavor! There's a bit more sweetness on the palate, as well as a nice bit of balancing tartness. There's the earthiness of the apple meat with the possibly imaginary hints of cinammon. Does a really great job not being too sweet or too tart! Finish is clean - the perfect mix of sweet and tart.

Mouthfeel is thin with tons of carbonation. I feel like the carbonation enhances the tartness a little bit - it's a really good match for the flavor profile.

Overall, really amazing apple flavor. I just don't even understand how they translated apples into beer so perfectly.

4.61/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Aroma is of red apple juice....mostly sweet, somewhat tart...but definitely something that would be hard to differentiate from apple juice.

Taste is initially of tasty, sweet apple juice as you'd expect from the store....there is a slight bready quality in the middle that gives the impression this is more of an adult juice, but not much. On the end, there's a hint of tart that wraps it up cleanly and delicious.

Honestly, this couldn't be any more delicious if they tried. It's adult apple juice basically. It's better than any cider I can recall having.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

A: It looked just like carbonated apple juice or sparkling apple cider. very fresh and crisp looking. White head and very well carbonated

S: Smelled like freshly squeezed apple juice with perhaps a little bit of caramel

T: Tastes like sweet sparking apple cider, there was also a feint caramel malt flavor as well.

M: lots of bite, bright and crisp mouth feel, light bodied

O: This is a sweet beer I could drink over and over again. Its a very attractive beer with lots of apple flavor and smell and highly drinkable with a small abv. Delicious.

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - poured a light amber color with a small 1/2" head that dissipated rather quickly. lacing is almost non-existent.

S - awesome apple aroma, being a cider fan, this was really appealing. smell like a blend of Fuji and Winesap apples, a touch of spiciness.

T - if I wouldnt have poured the bottle myself I would have sworn i had opened a hard cider, there is a hint of the maltiness that belies the beer, but this is an amazing little brew.

M - a little thin as an ale but more body than a cider. the carbonation is light and just right. there is a slight sweetness in the aftertaste, but it balances the apple tartness nicely.

O - i am really upset i didnt buy more than a 4 pack of this. hopefully i will be able to find again next time i am in Wisconsin. I could drink a bunch of this in warm weather, very refreshing. I might even include in a cider tasting to do some side by sides.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

Picked up a single at Bottle Stop Liquor here in Madison. Probably one of the last bottles left in the area. Glad I gave this little shop a look.

Pours a pretty copper/amber color, crystal clear with a short foamy head that disappears in a few seconds. Nose is...APPLES. Delicious homemade apple cider. Yummy. Taste is....drumroll....APPLES. Slightly tart, sour, but still very sweet apple cider. This is one damn tasty brew. Probably too sweet for a lot of BAs out there, but I don't mind sweetness in beer usually, especially in a fruit beer. Mouthfeel is crisp and bubbly like champagne. Insanely refreshing on a hot August night. I could have drank a gallon of this stuff, but sadly I had but a bottle. If you can find this stuff and have an open mind toward fruit beers, I HIGHLY suggest you give it a try.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

I was simply giddy seeing this one show up in my fridge finally. I had been waiting forever to give it a try and the fact that I had it made my night. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 01/02/2009.

The pour was very nice. Light amber in color with a good clarity to it let you see the adequate amount of carbonation streaming up skyward from the bottom of the glass. Nice rounded head of white on top just sitting there very nicely.

The aroma was like a walk through the orchard on an october afternoon. Rich, tart, granny smith like apples just soo fresh you could smell it from across the room. Perfect mix of sweet and tart, this was ideal, The flavor did not dissapoint. Rich flavor that was seemlingly neverending. I just could not believe how much this tasted like fresh apples. Simply amazing. Light, clean feel on this one with light carbonation made it a wonderful beer with an amazingly complex profile.

This straddles the line of a fruit beer and a cider, but it works very, very well. I expect nothing but excellence from the guys at New Glarus and this was no expection. A wonderful beer that I am happy to enjoy!

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint

A- pours a transparent shade of orange with a one finger offwhite head that sticks around for awhile. Looks gorgeous

S- the intense aroma of apples comes to the forefront and absolutely assaults my nose. If you're looking for subtle apple, you're not going to get it here

T- tastes like apple juice. And you know what? That's pretty awesome in beer form. Not nearly as biting or abrasive as apple juice can be

M- it's actually pretty thin...but given the low ABV, it's expected

O- this is awesome. I love it, and wish I had better access to New Glarus

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

My favorite fruit beer out there, from one who does not generally like fruit beers.

A - Attractive clear gold color, lots of carbonation, some head that quickly disappears.

S - Has a strong apple aroma, with traces of bready malt.

T - Apple flavor hits the tongue right away, followed by notes of bready malts that serve as an exceptional balance to the sweetness of the apples. At no point is the beer too sweet.

M - highly carbonated, light and refreshing feel in the mouth

D - the most drinkable apple ale I've tried. Never gets too sweet, great for a hot summer day. So glad that New Glarus re-released this exceptional beer.

Thumbprint Apple Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company