Thumbprint Apple Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

Thumbprint Apple AleThumbprint Apple Ale

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Skidz on 09-25-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Apple Ale Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

12oz bottle with the code 3111. I reckon that's the 311th day of 2011.

It pours a clear light gold with close to a 2 finger head of foam and has a lot of lacing.

The smell is...green apples, green apples! I LOVE that aroma.

The taste is yummy. Loads of apples bringing both sweet and tart notes that really intensify when I swish the beer in my mouth. I was looking for the base beer, Brown Ale, and though it had some hints of one, the fruit just dominated completely and I'm alright with that. Lots of flavour in this 4%abv brew to enjoy.

On the upper end of light bodied with a nice effervescent level of carbonation, the mouthfeel was good and the drinkability..excellent.

A real fun beer to drink.

Bitterbill, Jan 27, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

a - a somewhat thinner head, but one that quickly disappears leaving behind a darker gold, lighter read color that is somewhat clear and easy to see through...quite nearly matches the color and grain of wood in my IKEA kitchen table...

s - apple pie; theres the fruit present with a mixture of some bready malt that makes a nice 'grammas apple pie' kinda feel to it

t - wow... if i didn't know better, i'd claim it as a heck of a cider... apple immediately, but a nice, frsh granny smith taste to it...

m - clean, crisp, clear and cold

o - a pretty good apple ale... Enjoyable

vande, Jan 25, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

A - This looks like a sparkling apple juice. One finger off white head cascades up but only leaves a thin bubbly ring around the edge of the glass.

S - Apple cider, some tart granny smith apples, cinnamon, clove. I can detect a fair amount of sweet and a hint of tartness in the smell as well.

T - Simply put, this is a hearty, carbonated apple cider. To break it down; lots of sweet(but not too much) and a little tartness from the apple, cinnamon, clove, and bread. Super clean finish.

M - Medium bodied with low carbonation. I wish the carbonation was a little higher, but that make take away from the fact that this is so close to actual cider.

D - I wish I had more. My girlfriend really liked this, and remarked that she loved the apple flavor and appreciated the lack of aftertaste. I know that this isn't all that fair of a comparison, but when I drink Belgian Red or Raspberry Tart, I only ever want a small pour, but with Apple Ale, I want to take my girlfriend's pour back. Also, my burps now smell DELICIOUS.

drewba, Dec 27, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Poured into a pint glass...crystal clear copper color. Minimal bright white head which dissipates pretty quickly, leaving very little lacing.

S - Smells like I took a big bite out of a fresh green apple. Not much else to the aroma but fresh apples. Very tasty smelling.

T - What else to expect from the taste here besides...apples. I do get a bit of a cinnamon undertone from this one as well. A very tasty brew indeed!

M - Thinnish mouthfeel, I think the medium carbonation lends to this a bit. Finishes crisp with no aftertaste.

D - This brew has a very high sessionability factor! Not sure what the ABV is here, but is has to be below 5%. I'm gonna be going out and picking a bunch of this up while it's still on the shelves to ensure I have plenty available for the Summer! If you like this beer style, this is a must try! Great job New Glarus!

drizzam, Mar 23, 2009

Unplugged label, poured into my Duvel Tulip

One finger off white head on pour, clear amber body. Head falls quickly, but a quick swirl brings back some fiz, otherwise retention is weak. Nose is a really really sweet apple cider, with a hint of spice, jolly rancher? smells great. Taste is just as interesting, lots of cider flavors, sweet, well carbonated on the tongue. I really like this, perfect quencher after working out! Great mouthfeel, highly drinkable.

Thanks to Taturbo for this one!

ballewblake, Apr 11, 2009
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Big thanks to Elkhunter36 for extraing this my way!

A-Looks like a slightly dark apple cider with a fairly weak head of which only a faint lacing remains.

S-Apples, brown sugar, some grain, some maltiness.

T-Holy apples! This seriously just tastes like apple juice. Really hits the spot when you are in the mood for something refreshing. No description needed if you have ever had apple cider.

M-The carbonation on this one kind of sneaks up on you. You expect it to have dissipated with the head but its actually very effervescent and bubbly. I would actually liked it toned down a bit because it gives you a bit of a gassy feeling actually.

O-This beer is delicious and I would love to have more at my disposal. Thanks again for the experimentation New Glarus.

beerhan, Mar 21, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. Bottle split with my special lady friend, made possible by my good friend durb777, thanks Nick!

A: The beer honestly looks to me like an IPA/DIPA. Pours a hazy orange IPA looking color, a white head forms but dissipates pretty quickly. Lots of carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass, decent lacing.

S: Wow! Smells fresh apple cider up front. After the initial apple cider smell I start getting lots of caramel and honey notes. Wow, looks exactly like beer, but smells just like cider.

T: Tastes pretty similar to the nose, but not so much of the apple cider up front. Lots of caramel and honey going on, maybe a slight sourness in the finish. I even get a little bit of a tart cherry note in there.

M: Creamy, smooth, light, and bubbly.

O: Overall I'm pretty surprised by this beer. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but New Glarus definitely delivered again! I don't think I could drink more than 12 ounces of this beer, for being only 4% I'm finding it pretty sweet and rich. The way this beer blurs the lines between an ale and cider is pretty unreal. Keep doing what you do New Glarus!

bifrost17, Feb 25, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle, bought at the New Glarus Brewery in New Glarus, WI.

A - Sparkling apple juice.

S - Oh my. Crisp, fresh apple cider. Apple pie, crust included. Cinnamon. Oh man. I could smell it all day. New Glarus should invest in an air freshener business on the side.

T - Sweet, clean, refreshing. Tart and very tasty, with a lingering malt taste that reminds you it is a beer. Slight biscuit.

M - No stickiness, definite plus. Very carbonated. Light and bubbly.

O - Excellent fruit beer, I would not expect less from New Glarus, and one of my personal favorites of the style. It never lets you forget you're actually drinking a beer, either. Must try if you're a fan of fruity beer or apples, and recommended if you wanna try something new. Good stuff.

Trifecta1, Feb 11, 2012
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Twelve ounce bottle designated part of the "Unplugged" series, compliments of dancinwillie. Thanks Sean! Pours a clear golden amber body with a small white head which quickly diminishes to a cap. Some wispy island chain lace graces the tulip glass.

Aroma is mostly apple, fresh McIntosh and Granny Smith, as tantalizing as walking around in an orchard's cellar in late October. A hint of juicy caramel underneath.

Light bodied, crisp and clean, with ample carbonation.

Taste is tart and sweet. McIntosh apples, again, in all their fruity, tasty glory. Early summer green apple notes are present but this is more red apple sweet than tart. Hints of caramel add some dimension. Nothing artificial or cloying. Label says this has a brown ale base, but nothing in taste or appearance bears this out, for what it's worth.

This is more like a cider than a beer, but it is very well done. I could definitely have more than one if these were available outside Wisconsin. Another solid offering from New Glarus.

merlin48, Jan 30, 2009

Poured into a flute.

3.5 A: Clear light orange color. One finger of frothy off-white head that falls pretty quickly and leaves no lacing.

4.0 S: Sweet apple fruitiness like a sugar-laden apple cider. Just a touch of wild apple funkiness. Spiciness that comes off of cinnamon-like, which works well with the sweet caramel and brown sugar notes that's in there. Smells overall like warm apple pie. Pretty nice here.

4.5 T: Tastes just like apple pie as well, or maybe hot spiced apple cider. Cidery (obviously) with cinnamon and nutmeg spiciness. Sweet brown sugar and caramel. Not ridiculously complex, but quite tasty just like apple pie at Thanksgiving.

5.0 M: The mouthfeel is perfect for what it is. Lighter medium body. Champagne-like level of carbonation and just as spritzy. Super smooth. Wonderful.

4.5 D: This drinks as easy as apple cider or champagne as well. I could drink plenty of this in a night, but would eventually like to mix in something more typical.

DavoleBomb, Jan 10, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +6.5%

Not my typical pick ... I don't usually go for brews labeled here as 'FRUIT/VEGETABLE' beers.

Let me say that I had this once at the Mars Cheese Castle in Wisconsin and was very impressed.
This beer pours a nice light amber and has a small but dense head. the mouthfeel is amazing. this may be the result of expecting a cider but at first sip this is a light bodied pilsner/lager with tons of fresh green apple flavor.

there is not much to say other than it is a tasty fruit beer with a great feel and light body that won't fill you up.

Definitely worth a try.

PeteRock, May 29, 2012

From the Dead Man's Chest
Nov 15th 08

The New Unplugged Beer From New Glarus is an Ale with a brown base featuring Wisconsin grown barley and six varieties of local apples. (They get extra points in my book for local materials.) Let's see how this harvest turned out.
The cap popped off with the sent of warm apples. The head was robust and tall over the crystal clear brownish amber body. There is a charge of tartness that sucombs to brown sugar. You get Granny Smith apple farm richness with the malt blending with sweet and tart apples. It's fall in a glass and it reminds me of the fruit farm I went to as a kid back in Northeast Ohio.(Paterson's) How could you not love a beer like this.

johanvond, Feb 04, 2009

Lovethemhopps, Oct 03, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared a bottle with the in-laws while eating apple crisp - how appropriate!

A - Not sure how to evaluate this, as I don't have much frame of reference. It looks like carbonated apple juice, but with a two-fingered head and spotty lacing. The rising bubbles settle down pretty quickly after pouring.

S - It smells like fermented juice. I suppose that's the point, isn't it? There are some faint spices in there, kind of like an apple pie.

T - Tart and sweet at the same time. Really pleasant - it tastes like cider but with the slightest hint of malt.

M - The carbonation gives it a nice zing. Smooth and creamy, just like good cider.

D - If you love cider this is great for sessions, if you don't it still might be nice for the occasional try.

Another great New Glarus fruit brew! Wish I'd grabbed more of this when I was in Milwaukee.

MasterSki, Dec 14, 2008
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz. bottle on 12/19/08. Thanks to Deuane for sharing.

A - Clear bubbly golden/amber body with thin white head that quickly receded into a ring of retention and left scant traces of lace. Huge bubbles of carbonation are present throughout the body.

S - This ale packs the aroma of baked apples with a bit of cinnamon and caramel malt. Simple yet effective.

T - Flavor is similar to hard cider but perhaps a little sweeter and less alcoholic tasting. There's not much else to say about this other than APPLE. There is also some bready malt in the finish.

M - Light body with a syrupy texture and crisp mouthfeel. Sweetness and a very subtle apple tartness envelopes the palate.

D - Ridiculously drinkable. If you are looing for apple, this is it. Simply put, New Glarus brews some of the best fruit beers... period.

ffejherb, Dec 20, 2008
4.39/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is a golden red color....like apple juice.
Aroma is farm fresh apples, reminds me of a farm. So fresh smelling.
Flavor is apple cider but light enough to be perfect. There's a crisp fresh apple taste with mild spice. Perfect balance here.
Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and perfectly dry.
Flavor hits then goes away.
I really enjoy this and want to try more new glarus.

zookerman182, Dec 13, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Got a couple from masterchiefmd. Thanks, Chris! This is from the Unplugged release

A: In my Sam Smith pint glass, Apple Ale sits a clear copper with a ton of visible carbonation. Thin white head that dissipates to a patchy disk rather quick. Appealing

S: Crisp apples, very fruity and aromatic, ripe in nature - apples, green, red and golden dominate the nose. Pleasing, fragrant and delicate.Malt is present, mild and biscuity in nature. I get the faintest hint of hops but it's possibly my imagination.

T: Wow. This is about as close to fermented apple juice as you can get. Strong apple flavors dominate the palate while retaining a fairly high level of (apple-like) complexity. There's apple sweetness, tartness and flavor. Malt? Hops? Not so much. Finishes dry and very refreshing, maybe a little cidery?

M: Prickly carbonation, light body, hysterically dry finish. Excellent

D: Extremely drinkable, this should be named Panty Peeler or something to that effect

Notes: The NG Unplugged series has proven to be some of the more interesting and unique beers out there. This beer is one of them and pushes the definition of what a beer is.

DefenCorps, Feb 21, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

The infamous Apple Ale. Glad I finally get to try this stuff. Bottle into my Duvel Tulip.

A: Clear cider brown with a fast fading finger or so of off white head. No lace or cap.

S: Wow this smells like Door county in a glass. Apples some sweet some tart. Cinnamon and pie crust. Smells like a like aplle pie in a glass.

T: Holy crap! Straight up apple cider. Great balance of sweet and tart apples. Plenty of cinnamon and pie crust. Just a touch of vanilla in the finish. This reminds me of Enigma but with more emphasis on the apple. Wonderful.

M: Light and thin body. Bubbly carbonation. Surprisingly not as dry as I thought it would finish.

D: One of if not the most drinkable beers I've had to date. I will be stocking up on this one. No more need to bust out hard ciders for all my non beer loving friends. This one will do just fine.

beerwolf77, Nov 12, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a medium copper in color with a dissapating light tan pillowy head. Aroma consists of fresh apples, pie crust, malt and a sweetness akin to apple pie filling. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, yet uncommonly smooth.

My initial impression is to compare this to cider and forget that it's an ale. I quickly disregarded that thought, as this is so much better than any hard cider I've ever had. The initial taste is of sweet sugary apples. Feint tartness and practically no bitterness at all. The apple flavor dominates any hops that may have been used. Malt background is there but takes a backseat to the apple flavor. This would border on being a bit too cloying, except the finish is dry enough to evaporate most of the sweetness.

This stuff slides down like silk with little resistance. Some concerns that this isn't much of a beer, but I think if you add the bitterness of hops and a stronger malt body, the taste would completely fall apart. This is sweet enough to be a dessert beer or enjoyed alone by itself for you to discover its nuances. Combine this with a slice of fresh apple pie and vanilla ice cream and you've got a perfect match.

Winter, Oct 28, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Amber gold in color. Stiff pour yielded minimal head which dissipated very quickly. No lacing or retained head. Even swirling the glass wont bring the head back. More reminiscent in appearance of a cider than a beer.

S. Tart Apples. Smells fantastic though not very complex as apples are all that I smell.

T. Tart Apples and spices. Slight caramel malt. Classic new glarus finish which comes from the yeast - it is present on all of their fruit beers. Delicious.

M. Lively carbonation. Sticky finish like apple cider.

O. As a fan of hard cider and beer - I really like NG's apple ale. It's very refreshing and goes down easy. I should have bought more than a single 4-pack

shadetree67, Mar 11, 2014
4.36/5  rDev +5.6%

hoosier3334, Sep 20, 2014
4.36/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is going to be a short review. Its pretty much what you'd expect from an Apple ale, but its still is very tasty and refreshing. I could see waking up in the morning and having this with breakfast, if I was on vacation of course.

Golden color, with splotchy lacing, and little to no head. The nose is a brown sugar and of course, sweet apples. Slightly viscous with light carbonation and a lingering finish, but I wish the finish was a little bit longer. I'm going to keep the other three that I haven't tried them when the weather warms up. I will certainly look for more in the future.

Cubatobaco, Jan 06, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into tulip.

A: Not really much to look at, reddish with minimal head.

S: Tart apples, slight vinegar, and sweet.

T: Apple cider beerified. Sweet, but not so much it's unappealing. Simple, but great!

M: Crisp light body with high carbonation.

O: I'll admit I'm not a fan of hard cider's, so I wasn't expecting to be wowed here. But this stuff is solid, New Glarus just can't do any wrong with fruit beer.

d5001986, Mar 03, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance -- Pours a rich golden hue with high clarity and one finger of creamy white head. Comparable to a quality hard cider. As the head dissipates it forms something of a creamy caldera above the liquid line. Interesting...

Smell -- The aroma is quite singular: apple juice. It's pleasant, but not especially interesting.

Taste -- Lots of sweet apple flavor up front - Golden Delish? Very fruity and naturally sweet-tasting, not terribly different in character from Wisconsin Belgian Red or Raspberry Tart in this regard. Grainy malt character makes itself known toward the finish. Lingering flavor of unfiltered apple cider.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body with milder prickly carbonation that finishes a bit foamy. Good stuff.

Drinkability -- Pleasantly surprised! For me, this is probably the most drinkable of all of the New Glarus fruit beers, and that's saying something. Not as intensely fruit flavored as Wisconsin Belgian Red or Raspberry Tart, but this doesn't produce the kind of fruit overload/saccharine fatigue that might make you inclined to share a bottle rather than pouring a second glass. I could see myself putting away a pack of this in one evening without much effort.

If you love any of the other New Glarus fruit beers, gets your hands on this one as well!

yeahnatenelson, Dec 24, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

OK, first off, I'm biased towards fruit beers. Love 'em.
Second: Big thanks to battlekow for this tasty brew!

A: Amber in color. Scant head with no lacing.

S: Fresh apple cider from a country store. Just a lovely sweet apple smell. Considering that that is what this beer pimps itself as, I gotta love it.

T: More of the same, but better. This beer really tastes like fresh pressed apple cider. If you've ever had good cider, you know what this tastes like. If you've never had good apple cider, shame on you!

M: Mouthcoating, smooth, low level of carbonation. Alcohol feel is well nigh absent.

D&N: If you like fruited beers, and you like apple cider, this beer will be a wonderful experience. I love it.

JackTheRipper, Jul 10, 2005