1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Thumbprint Apple Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

Thumbprint Apple AleThumbprint Apple Ale

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Skidz on 09-25-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Apple Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 980 | Reviews: 404 | Show All Ratings:
neorunner

1.88/5  rDev -54.6%

Thanks to DougoftheFuture for sending me this in Round 6 of the Blind Beer BIF.

12oz bottle shared w/ Pitasoup (he's living w/ me now). Golden yellow in color when poured into a New Belgium tulip with two inches of light fluffy cloud-like head. This beer is nuclear green jolly rancher in the nose to the point of chemical esque aromas. Green apple and cloyingly sweet for flavor. I can't say that I'm a fan of this beer, the chemical aroma comes through in the taste as well. Could be from growing up in an ice cream store and being very attuned to artificial flavors.

The reveal: New Glarus Apple Ale. Well this is a great beer to send in this BIF, if only because it is so polar in all accounts. Reading the label it says they used green apple juice, I'm wondering if it was concentrate.

03-24-2012 23:50:27 | More by neorunner
djmichaelk

2.05/5  rDev -50.5%

12oz bottle courtesy of shellac01 (thanks, Mike!), into a snifter.

A - Pours a clear amber, with a slight head. Little lacing and not much in the way of retention.

S - Unsurprisingly, apples are the dominant note. Bits of caramel and sugar, cotton candy, and lots of granny smith apple. Very crisp, clean, and refreshing nose when it's cold, although it gets a little muddled as it warms.

T - Ohhh no. This is weird -- I didn't really get any of this in the nose, but it's a butter bomb. The diacetyl dominates the flavor, making it very unpleasant. I get the apple to start, then the butter and salt take over. Difficult to get past a few sips.

M - Somewhat slick and oily. Full, decent carbonation otherwise.

O - Man, this is disappointing. I really wanted to enjoy this, but the diacetyl makes it impossible. As much as I don't want to, this is going down the drain. I'm guessing I just got a bad bottle or batch, so I'll have to acquire another and revisit this review. But for now this is it, dammit.

04-26-2011 14:41:36 | More by djmichaelk
nrbw23

2.13/5  rDev -48.6%

A- Pours a crystal clear copper color with no head. What happens is a few white bubbles pop up and then are gone. Looks like a darker shade of apple juice.

S- This is pretty easy it smells like apples. I can't pick up anything other than apple sweetness.

T- Tastes pretty much like apple juice and is pretty sweet.

M- Very light and pretty good amount of carbonation.

O- This one reminds me of a cider or wine cooler or better yet a glass of apple juice. Too sweet and has no taste or anything that I enjoy from beer. I do however understand how some people enjoy this beer.

12-14-2011 11:45:16 | More by nrbw23
MbpBugeye

2.23/5  rDev -46.1%

thanks to zimberbloke for this one.

A- Very minimal head is created on the pour and none is left after a minute. The beer is crystal clear and a few shades darker than apple juice.

S- Apple is intensely strong on the nose. It literally fills the room. Its a juicy red cider smell. A little bit of green apple tartness is picked up too.

T- Wow, uh. This is weird. Apple juice and cider wash over the palate. Its very sweet but has a touch of tartness at the end. Being that I don't like cider, this is a but too sweet for me.

M- Very prickly and dry. Light bodied.

D- Just about sickeningly sweet. It leaves that cider twang in the back of the throat that I can't deal with.

12-18-2010 06:02:12 | More by MbpBugeye
cokes

2.8/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Toasted golden in color- a shade right between yellow and amber. The head is greying beige and vanishes nearly as soon as the pour is completed. It looks like cider, and for good reason.
The nose is, not surprisingly, dominated by apples, all red and sweet. Deeper in, some cedar and yeast notes add traces of spice.
Begins with elephantine apple aggression. All laid out at the fore. Red apples. Juicy. Sweet. Sugary. Some cinnamon notes at the close, with a slight cedar woodiness. But complexity is foregone in order to deliver all apples, all the time.
This is basically carbonated apple juice. It's not readily identifiable as alcoholic, and certainly not as beer.

This needs to be more tart, as the sweetness is heavy handed. More yeasty, lambic-esque nuance would be a start. I'd also appreciate some semblence of malt and/or hops contributions. Until then, I'll view this as more of a malternative, or hard cider, than a beer.

I enjoy the Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart quite a bit, but this is hardly drinkable for me. It maintains the fruit, but lacks the nuance. It's just not in the same league.

10-12-2004 05:50:26 | More by cokes
sidetracked

3.03/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours a clear, light golden orange with a nice cream head that dissipates quickly leaving just a ring of bubbles.

Aroma of green apples, apple skins, some buttery popcorn, powdery cheese, candy corn, and sweet pastry dough.

Taste is sweet green apples--very apple juice like. Finish is sweeter and more malty with a fruity apple and light pear presence. Lingering flavor of apple skins with a slight tartness.

Light to medium body and bubbly with medium/high carbonation.

Overall a neat beer, but too many off-putting smells and flavors. Started off surprised at how much apple flavor the beer had, but by the end it was very "eehhh."

6/6/2011

11-24-2011 22:12:29 | More by sidetracked
walleye

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%

got this in a trade but I cannot rememer who sent it but thanks. poured a cider color with no head. aroma, apples, sweet, apples, apples some wheat, apples. flavor, just like apple cider with a little alcohol thown in. kind of tasted like a wine cooler.

12-31-2005 00:29:39 | More by walleye
muttyd

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a crystal clear golden amber with a white fizzy head. Faint white ring forms as the beer settles. Aroma is straight apple pie filing and caramel apples. Very sweet and fruity beer. Again with the apple pie and caramel dipped apple. Doesn't really remind me of a cider as it lacks the acidic/tart character. Almost no hops at all. Moderate to low carbonation with a silky mouthfeel. Sweet and sticky finish.

05-17-2011 01:19:21 | More by muttyd
Goldorak

Quebec (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance: Rusty nail/copper colored with a weak head that fizzed off quickly.

Smell: Banana, and appleseed aroma. Hefe yeast? I couldn't find anything on the website about it, so who knows...

Taste: Banana nut muffins with a side of apple sauce, a bit too sweet for me, I like my fruit Beers on the tangy side better. It did remind me of a defunct Québec Beer that I used to love, Hopps aux pommes from Brasal.

04-24-2005 19:25:45 | More by Goldorak
emmasdad

Colorado

3.23/5  rDev -22%

Another New Glarus fruit beer I had to stock up on for my wife; unfortunately, this one did not begin to approach the complexity or quality of either Wisconsin Belgian Red or Raspberry Tart.

Poureed a clear golden color with aromas of light malt, crisp apples and apple juice. Light bodied and crisp, light malt and apple juice.

03-25-2011 00:03:04 | More by emmasdad
tasteegood

3.23/5  rDev -22%

Picked this 4 pack for 11.99 at a popular cheese castle in Wisconsin on a drive back to Chicago with my old man.

I did get an opportunity to sample it before purchasing and decided to buy it despite my apprehension. Once I got back to my place, I spilt it with a friend.

A- Nice golden color with little carbonation, no head retention.
S- Apples and tons of them. Smell like a combination of Golden and Red Apples.
T- Apples, sweet, don't detect much tartness. Not a fan of the aftertaste, the finish mimics an artificial apple butter-like taste.
M- Nothing fancy, sweet risidual, not overbearing. However, I may struggle to finish a whole beer.
O-This is a decent beer, but reminds me more of a cider or even a "Cidral" (Mexican cabornated apple soda). For 11.99, I would seek another beer, but I was suckered into it since the likelihood of finding this beer in Illinois is rare.

12-28-2011 06:10:29 | More by tasteegood
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

12oz bottle courtesy of ughsmash, light orange color, looks like apple juice. First whiff is apples and apple juice, surprise! Smells really sweet, not sure if I like it. Very strange taste, like the malts are wrestling the apples for control of the beer. Not a bad beer at all just very, very weird.

01-27-2009 03:33:42 | More by ArrogantB
GallowsThief

3.28/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into my Duvel.

A - Very light straw golden color. Almost no head produced but what was there was pure white. No lacing left.

S - Smells like apple cider. Bit of tartness in there.

T - Very much like a cider to me. Tart green apple flavor as well. Taste some nutmeg and cinnamon. Reminds me of an apple pie spice my wife uses when baking. Very sweet at the finish.

M - Lightly carbonated. Thin but crisp mouthfeel.

D - It's a bit sweet for me to be too drinkable. Would make a fine drink to get someone started into the craft world.

04-04-2011 00:14:23 | More by GallowsThief
alcstradamus

Washington

3.35/5  rDev -19.1%

A--Clear light copper color with lots of tiny carbonation bubbles. Champagne-like appearance

S--Sour apples and caramel

T&M--I thought it was going to be a little too tart for my tastebuds based on the nose, but it wasn't bad. Tastes like apple juice mixed 50/50 with a cheap champagne. Light bodied.

D--Not really something that interests me overall, it tasted O.K. but I don't want any more.

07-01-2009 18:07:43 | More by alcstradamus
lester619

3.35/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a nice chrystal-clear amber copper color. The head is thin but it sticks around for the duration. Nice thick sticky lacing. Great fresh apple smell. Thats the only smell at first, but I pick up some more subtle bready, hoppy beer scents as I smell more closely. It's a fantastic smell. I was expecting it to have the fall baking spices added like pumpkin beers. I'm very glad it wasn't. The taste is much like the smell. Very crisp, juicy fresh sweet and sour apple flavors, with just a hint of bread and hops to make you realize this is a beer. That's kind of my problem. I love beer, and I love apples, but does it make either better to put them together? I really like Woodchuck hard cider as a change of pace. This tasted a lot like that except it had a bready, malty base that didn't fit with the apple flavor. That really kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? I did like the flavor. It's one of the more enjoyable fruit flavored beers I've had. Someone used to cider or wine who is crossing over to beer would be a good audiance for this. Overall, it's a unique and pleasant tasting beer.

11-18-2010 22:45:10 | More by lester619
bbeane

3.35/5  rDev -19.1%

A- Poured into an oversized snifter... Starts with almost no head, and what little head disappears quickly. Beer is a clear amber color with lots of activity

S- Smells like a nicely spiced apple cider... cinnamon, nutmeg, and apple juice

T- Very little beer qualities... starts out tasting like apple cider, and finishes tasting like apple cider with a hint of beer

M- Light body with light carbonation

O- Tasted great, but I thought you weren't allowed to review ciders on this website. This to me, has almost no beer qualities to it IMO

CHEERS

10-28-2011 03:18:33 | More by bbeane
WJVII

3.38/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured into a pint glass this brew was light colored (like apple cider) with a white bubbly head that dissipated quickly similar to soda carbonation. The aroma was definitely apple with hints of clove and some slight malt. The taste was exactly what one would expect, sparkling apple cider. It has mild spice of cinnamon and some clove but not much else. I am not one for a spiced brew but this was OK for what you would expect. I think a little sour and more alcohol content would do wonders for this brew, but obviously that was not the intent here. Good for style but not my taste.

02-13-2011 16:44:06 | More by WJVII
Nachojon

3.38/5  rDev -18.4%

Thanks jegross.

A- Vigorous pour, just barely any white, I won't even call it head, it's bubbles. Clear, small bubbles, looks like sparkling apple cider.

S- Smells like sparkling apple cider.

T- The best thing about this beer is the fresh apple taste, the flavor is real apple, what you want an apple to taste like. Not really much else going on here for me. Maybe a little cinnamon? Just a bit too sweet for my taste.

M- Crisp like a cider but not as carbonated. Dry.

O- It's good, it tastes good. I am disappointed, am I wrong to want more complexity, something else going on? Not something I am going to go out of my way to try again.

12-02-2011 04:50:16 | More by Nachojon
drabmuh

Maryland

3.4/5  rDev -17.9%

Yuck...what happens when you try to make a cider into a beer? this happens.

Beer is amber and clear with no head, no lacing and low carbonation, this is OK i guess.

Beer smells like apples and spice, this is more upsetting if this isn't what i expected.

Beer is thin to medium bodied and apply. Its sweet and cidery with mild spice and some grain acidity at the end. It's not super enjoyable as I hoped. I doubt I would drink more than the 12 ounces I had.

12-09-2010 05:21:27 | More by drabmuh
cradke

3.4/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Golden, clear and radiant through the glass. Very little head with some carbonation and bubbles creeping from the bottom.

Smell: Sweet, candy apples. Very little hops or malt smell.

Taste: Apples. Very little hop or malt. To be honest, it tastes more like apple cider than ale. Very little malt or hop profile.

Mouthfeel: Very light, highly carbonated. Very thin and spreads across the palate very cleanly.

Overall: A savory drink. Very clean apples with a nice finish. I really like the concept but I wish they would have increased the malt and hop profile to make it a bit more well rounded. It is a bit too sweet for me and tastes more like apple cider than a beer....a great apple cider, but wished it had more of a balance.

11-23-2011 04:57:06 | More by cradke
jmp3

3.4/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A fun drinking beer lots of sweetness. Sour apple aroma with slight sour taste more sweet tasting to me. Little to no hop aroma and taste. Slight cloudness in glass. Might be fun to mix this with a sour lambic to see what you got. Over a refreshing beer that I would try again.

11-24-2013 00:29:15 | More by jmp3
tavernjef

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%

Nice light golden copper color with a slight hazyness to it. Small, loosely bubbled and strangely constructed greyish cap that whisps away pretty quickly leaving a thin collar that stays about half the glass down. Lacing is very minimal in spots.

Aroma is musty mushy bruised apples, borderline melon-like with a more musty past-its-prime honeydew thing. Oddly abtrusive yet possibly appetizing and intriguing nose.

Flavor is mellow and musky with a heavy sweet dark apple skin and mush tone. Pretty darn sweet and thickly so; the apple isn't to bad, its not cidery, its mushy, chewy, tangy, and mellow. The sourness is beyond deep in tone, nearly nonexsisitent until very late where some truer crispy apple tones float across the finish.

Feel is partially thick and chewy with a mellow tang and solid sweet dark apple tone thats melony and candy-like. Sugary through and through; smooth and creamy mediumness in body.
A strange brew tis true. One thats either a 'love it' or 'hate it' thing. I'm right in the middle, I don't particularly like it all that much, but it doesn't bother me or uninterest me either. I probably won't buy it again but I'm glad to have tried it. One of those types of brews.

01-24-2005 00:32:52 | More by tavernjef
Jayli

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%

Acquired from SamuelJackson45 via LOKO4Locals so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!
Poured into a pint glass

A: This beer pours a beautiful deep, translucent copper, with an off white head. Head recedes quickly leaving spotty lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is completely apple cider... nothing but apple and on a good dau, apple cider.

T: Taste is.... I'm sorry apple cider. It's fabulous and wonderful and I would drink it constantly but it's just apple beer that doesn't taste like beer. It literally tastes like apple juice,.

M: Lighter side of medium body, low carbonation, crisp and clean.

O: Goes down very easy, tasty, not filling, low kick, decent representation of style. This isn't a beer. It's a great lil drink though I feel more goes in the line of cider than beer....but I would hit it up again.

11-22-2011 06:04:54 | More by Jayli
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. The color is medium orange with nice melon hues. There is a small off-white head. Not super clear but no haze.

The aroma is straight up apple juice. I don't pick up much of anything else at first, but after drinking for a bit I get some bready yeast in the aroma as well.

The taste is somewhat cidery, but I think it tastes more like regular apple juice. There is some breadiness in the start; the finish is all juice.

This is pretty unique and fun to try. It's not entirely my cup of tea, but I can see this being a popular choice for many people.

11-22-2013 01:19:49 | More by andrewinski1
jegross2

3.45/5  rDev -16.7%

Reviewing the Apple Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company. New Glarus is famous for its fruit beers. This is my first fruit beer by New Glarus.
Score: 86

Summer 2011 vintage bottle served in a New Glarus flute and enjoyed on 04/24/12.

Appearance: Pours a clean and transparent golden straw yellow, apple juice-like color. Has a pretty effervescent appearance. A finger of bubbly head at pour settles into a bubbly ring around the glass. Below average lacing and poor retention. 4/5

Smell: Sweet-and-sour apple candy mixed with juicy and sweet honeycrisp apple and mactinosh apple aroma. There's a little candied watermelon and spice in the aroma too. Smells like it could be a Smirnoff Ice variant. Quite pleasant. 4/5

Taste: There's a nice sweet and juicy apple flavor throughout with candied, but not sweet-and-sour (surprisingly, given the aroma), apple flavor on the midpalate. Some have described this beer as a green jolly rancher, and I'd agree. The flavor is very pleasant and crisp, but then there is a really strange aftertaste to the beer. The aftertaste is slightly grainy with a malty corn sugar flavor -- almost like a malty American adjunct lager-like flavor that reminds you "hey, this is a beer" (but in a negative way, given the beer's primary flavors). The aftertaste really ruins what would have otherwise been a really refreshing fruit beer. 3.25/5

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with lively carbonation. Nice and prickly sweetness on the tongue. Juicy mouthfeel. Sweet, fruity and crisp. 3.75/5

Overall: No one else I talked to who has had this beer before could recall the aftertaste, but they had the beer awhile ago. Maybe this beer has fallen off or I just got a bad bottle. If not for the aftertaste, I would have probably scored this one much closer to a 90.

Recommendation: If you like fruit beers or the flavor of the green jolly rancher, then seek this one out.

Pairings: Horchata.

Cost: $2.99 for a 12 oz bottle or $10.99 for a four pack.

05-01-2012 06:56:30 | More by jegross2