Thumbprint Apple Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Skidz on 09-25-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Apple Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,476 | Reviews: 448
3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

Another New Glarus fruit beer I had to stock up on for my wife; unfortunately, this one did not begin to approach the complexity or quality of either Wisconsin Belgian Red or Raspberry Tart.

Poureed a clear golden color with aromas of light malt, crisp apples and apple juice. Light bodied and crisp, light malt and apple juice.

3.26/5  rDev -21.1%

12oz bottle courtesy of ughsmash, light orange color, looks like apple juice. First whiff is apples and apple juice, surprise! Smells really sweet, not sure if I like it. Very strange taste, like the malts are wrestling the apples for control of the beer. Not a bad beer at all just very, very weird.

3.27/5  rDev -20.8%

Picked this 4 pack for 11.99 at a popular cheese castle in Wisconsin on a drive back to Chicago with my old man.

I did get an opportunity to sample it before purchasing and decided to buy it despite my apprehension. Once I got back to my place, I spilt it with a friend.

A- Nice golden color with little carbonation, no head retention.
S- Apples and tons of them. Smell like a combination of Golden and Red Apples.
T- Apples, sweet, don't detect much tartness. Not a fan of the aftertaste, the finish mimics an artificial apple butter-like taste.
M- Nothing fancy, sweet risidual, not overbearing. However, I may struggle to finish a whole beer.
O-This is a decent beer, but reminds me more of a cider or even a "Cidral" (Mexican cabornated apple soda). For 11.99, I would seek another beer, but I was suckered into it since the likelihood of finding this beer in Illinois is rare.

3.27/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Kinda funky. Like sweet apple candy. Just too sticky, sweet for my liking.

3.29/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: deep orange to copper color. a half finger plus of an off-white head that fades fairly quickly and leaves little behind. not quite clear but almost there

Smell: up front i am greeted with apples, turns into a more of an apple cider flavor. some sweet malt complexity.

Taste: opens up with huge taste of apple cider. almost tastes exactly like a little lighter version of cider you'd buy fresh at harvest time. light caramel malt play in the end but mostly covered by apple sweetness

Mouthfeel: sweet but not quite cloying. fairly light.

Overall: ehhh, i can't say i am disappointed because i didn't expect much from this one. overall it just tastes like cider and there isn't much else too it.

3.32/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into my Duvel.

A - Very light straw golden color. Almost no head produced but what was there was pure white. No lacing left.

S - Smells like apple cider. Bit of tartness in there.

T - Very much like a cider to me. Tart green apple flavor as well. Taste some nutmeg and cinnamon. Reminds me of an apple pie spice my wife uses when baking. Very sweet at the finish.

M - Lightly carbonated. Thin but crisp mouthfeel.

D - It's a bit sweet for me to be too drinkable. Would make a fine drink to get someone started into the craft world.

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

A--Clear light copper color with lots of tiny carbonation bubbles. Champagne-like appearance

S--Sour apples and caramel

T&M--I thought it was going to be a little too tart for my tastebuds based on the nose, but it wasn't bad. Tastes like apple juice mixed 50/50 with a cheap champagne. Light bodied.

D--Not really something that interests me overall, it tasted O.K. but I don't want any more.

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

Thanks jegross.

A- Vigorous pour, just barely any white, I won't even call it head, it's bubbles. Clear, small bubbles, looks like sparkling apple cider.

S- Smells like sparkling apple cider.

T- The best thing about this beer is the fresh apple taste, the flavor is real apple, what you want an apple to taste like. Not really much else going on here for me. Maybe a little cinnamon? Just a bit too sweet for my taste.

M- Crisp like a cider but not as carbonated. Dry.

O- It's good, it tastes good. I am disappointed, am I wrong to want more complexity, something else going on? Not something I am going to go out of my way to try again.

3.37/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured into a pint glass this brew was light colored (like apple cider) with a white bubbly head that dissipated quickly similar to soda carbonation. The aroma was definitely apple with hints of clove and some slight malt. The taste was exactly what one would expect, sparkling apple cider. It has mild spice of cinnamon and some clove but not much else. I am not one for a spiced brew but this was OK for what you would expect. I think a little sour and more alcohol content would do wonders for this brew, but obviously that was not the intent here. Good for style but not my taste.

3.38/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Slightly hazy deep amber. Medium white head. Medium collar.

Smell - Smells like apple juice, but a little less sweet. A little bit of an earthy aroma.

Taste - Unsweetened apple flavor. Earthy maybe isn't the right descriptor anymore. Slightly acidic. Then the sweet apple juice kicks in. Finishes like apple juice.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Well carbonated.

Overall - It's pretty good, but apple just isn't an interesting enough fruit for me.

3.38/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Golden, clear and radiant through the glass. Very little head with some carbonation and bubbles creeping from the bottom.

Smell: Sweet, candy apples. Very little hops or malt smell.

Taste: Apples. Very little hop or malt. To be honest, it tastes more like apple cider than ale. Very little malt or hop profile.

Mouthfeel: Very light, highly carbonated. Very thin and spreads across the palate very cleanly.

Overall: A savory drink. Very clean apples with a nice finish. I really like the concept but I wish they would have increased the malt and hop profile to make it a bit more well rounded. It is a bit too sweet for me and tastes more like apple cider than a beer....a great apple cider, but wished it had more of a balance.

3.39/5  rDev -17.9%

A- Poured into an oversized snifter... Starts with almost no head, and what little head disappears quickly. Beer is a clear amber color with lots of activity

S- Smells like a nicely spiced apple cider... cinnamon, nutmeg, and apple juice

T- Very little beer qualities... starts out tasting like apple cider, and finishes tasting like apple cider with a hint of beer

M- Light body with light carbonation

O- Tasted great, but I thought you weren't allowed to review ciders on this website. This to me, has almost no beer qualities to it IMO

CHEERS

3.4/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A fun drinking beer lots of sweetness. Sour apple aroma with slight sour taste more sweet tasting to me. Little to no hop aroma and taste. Slight cloudness in glass. Might be fun to mix this with a sour lambic to see what you got. Over a refreshing beer that I would try again.

3.41/5  rDev -17.4%

Acquired from SamuelJackson45 via LOKO4Locals so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!
Poured into a pint glass

A: This beer pours a beautiful deep, translucent copper, with an off white head. Head recedes quickly leaving spotty lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is completely apple cider... nothing but apple and on a good dau, apple cider.

T: Taste is.... I'm sorry apple cider. It's fabulous and wonderful and I would drink it constantly but it's just apple beer that doesn't taste like beer. It literally tastes like apple juice,.

M: Lighter side of medium body, low carbonation, crisp and clean.

O: Goes down very easy, tasty, not filling, low kick, decent representation of style. This isn't a beer. It's a great lil drink though I feel more goes in the line of cider than beer....but I would hit it up again.

3.42/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a nice chrystal-clear amber copper color. The head is thin but it sticks around for the duration. Nice thick sticky lacing. Great fresh apple smell. Thats the only smell at first, but I pick up some more subtle bready, hoppy beer scents as I smell more closely. It's a fantastic smell. I was expecting it to have the fall baking spices added like pumpkin beers. I'm very glad it wasn't. The taste is much like the smell. Very crisp, juicy fresh sweet and sour apple flavors, with just a hint of bread and hops to make you realize this is a beer. That's kind of my problem. I love beer, and I love apples, but does it make either better to put them together? I really like Woodchuck hard cider as a change of pace. This tasted a lot like that except it had a bready, malty base that didn't fit with the apple flavor. That really kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? I did like the flavor. It's one of the more enjoyable fruit flavored beers I've had. Someone used to cider or wine who is crossing over to beer would be a good audiance for this. Overall, it's a unique and pleasant tasting beer.

3.43/5  rDev -16.9%

perhaps I just wasn't in the mood as I LOVE all NG fruit beers, but this one was just a hopped up apple juice to me.

3.43/5  rDev -16.9%

Nice light golden copper color with a slight hazyness to it. Small, loosely bubbled and strangely constructed greyish cap that whisps away pretty quickly leaving a thin collar that stays about half the glass down. Lacing is very minimal in spots.

Aroma is musty mushy bruised apples, borderline melon-like with a more musty past-its-prime honeydew thing. Oddly abtrusive yet possibly appetizing and intriguing nose.

Flavor is mellow and musky with a heavy sweet dark apple skin and mush tone. Pretty darn sweet and thickly so; the apple isn't to bad, its not cidery, its mushy, chewy, tangy, and mellow. The sourness is beyond deep in tone, nearly nonexsisitent until very late where some truer crispy apple tones float across the finish.

Feel is partially thick and chewy with a mellow tang and solid sweet dark apple tone thats melony and candy-like. Sugary through and through; smooth and creamy mediumness in body.
A strange brew tis true. One thats either a 'love it' or 'hate it' thing. I'm right in the middle, I don't particularly like it all that much, but it doesn't bother me or uninterest me either. I probably won't buy it again but I'm glad to have tried it. One of those types of brews.

3.45/5  rDev -16.5%

Yuck...what happens when you try to make a cider into a beer? this happens.

Beer is amber and clear with no head, no lacing and low carbonation, this is OK i guess.

Beer smells like apples and spice, this is more upsetting if this isn't what i expected.

Beer is thin to medium bodied and apply. Its sweet and cidery with mild spice and some grain acidity at the end. It's not super enjoyable as I hoped. I doubt I would drink more than the 12 ounces I had.

3.45/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. The color is medium orange with nice melon hues. There is a small off-white head. Not super clear but no haze.

The aroma is straight up apple juice. I don't pick up much of anything else at first, but after drinking for a bit I get some bready yeast in the aroma as well.

The taste is somewhat cidery, but I think it tastes more like regular apple juice. There is some breadiness in the start; the finish is all juice.

This is pretty unique and fun to try. It's not entirely my cup of tea, but I can see this being a popular choice for many people.

3.46/5  rDev -16.2%

Big thanks to rlmartin for including this in our last trade as a bonus.
Aroma is lightly sweetened apples with a touch of honey and biscuit malt. As it warms you get more of the cidery apple characteristics (hints of clove and cinnamon).
The taste starts out initially with obviously apples and honey sweetness. The flavors are crisp with just the right amount of tartness; it is closer to the sweet than the sour side. This would have to be a great late October tailgating brew. The label says this started as a brown ale, but I am not detecting much of that; some notes of brown sugar and caramel maltiness.
Mouthfeel is great; it has a good level of carbonation. Crisp, clean, and delicious. Exactly what you think it would be and exactly what you would want it to be. Overall I really enjoyed this beer; it's certainly a change of pace with its lighter body and sweet caramel/honey flavors. I would certainly drink this beer again, preferably in the middle of Autumn.

3.46/5  rDev -16.2%

Got this in the Secret Bunny from HogWildLiquor. Thanks!

A-Pours a clear copper amber with a little bit of white head and some lacing.

S-Apple cider, apple juice. No beer aromas...

T-Nice blend of tart and sweet apple flavors. Again, where's the beer?

M-Crisp and nicely dry in the finish. Light.

D-Yeah, about 8 oz. of this will do it for me. Glad I got to try it, but not really my thing.

HV

3.49/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very easy drinking fruit beer, which I'm not typically a fan of. Sour apple is certainly forward. Sweet, but not overpowering or puckering sweet.

3.49/5  rDev -15.5%

New Glarus Unplugged Apple Ale pours a thin head over a clear amber brew. Carbonation is steady, the nose ripe, slightly funky apple. Flavor is more apple with notes of funky English Ale yeast a little tart but also sweet. Mouthfeel starts a little crisp, trending a little syrupy with more apple in the aftertaste. Except for a touch of yeast funk, this is pretty indistinguishable from a sweet hard cider. Not bad for what it is- a nice dessert beer, or alternatively, a component in a cocktail. Nevertheless, a little disappointing since New Glarus's Unplugged series has been pretty spectacular in my opinion.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Reviewing the Apple Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company. New Glarus is famous for its fruit beers. This is my first fruit beer by New Glarus.
Score: 86

Summer 2011 vintage bottle served in a New Glarus flute and enjoyed on 04/24/12.

Appearance: Pours a clean and transparent golden straw yellow, apple juice-like color. Has a pretty effervescent appearance. A finger of bubbly head at pour settles into a bubbly ring around the glass. Below average lacing and poor retention. 4/5

Smell: Sweet-and-sour apple candy mixed with juicy and sweet honeycrisp apple and mactinosh apple aroma. There's a little candied watermelon and spice in the aroma too. Smells like it could be a Smirnoff Ice variant. Quite pleasant. 4/5

Taste: There's a nice sweet and juicy apple flavor throughout with candied, but not sweet-and-sour (surprisingly, given the aroma), apple flavor on the midpalate. Some have described this beer as a green jolly rancher, and I'd agree. The flavor is very pleasant and crisp, but then there is a really strange aftertaste to the beer. The aftertaste is slightly grainy with a malty corn sugar flavor -- almost like a malty American adjunct lager-like flavor that reminds you "hey, this is a beer" (but in a negative way, given the beer's primary flavors). The aftertaste really ruins what would have otherwise been a really refreshing fruit beer. 3.25/5

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with lively carbonation. Nice and prickly sweetness on the tongue. Juicy mouthfeel. Sweet, fruity and crisp. 3.75/5

Overall: No one else I talked to who has had this beer before could recall the aftertaste, but they had the beer awhile ago. Maybe this beer has fallen off or I just got a bad bottle. If not for the aftertaste, I would have probably scored this one much closer to a 90.

Recommendation: If you like fruit beers or the flavor of the green jolly rancher, then seek this one out.

Pairings: Horchata.

Cost: $2.99 for a 12 oz bottle or $10.99 for a four pack.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Appearance - Poured a finger of off-white lite tan foam which disappeared in about a minute. Bode is a slightly hazy amber. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell - Huge nose of apple juice, and just a whiff of minerals.

Taste - There's very good apple flavor here, it's definitely sweet but not overly sweet like some carbonated apple juices are. The apple flavor seems very natural and authentic, not artificially flavored. I'm trying to find more "ale-like" nuances here but I can't find any. There may be a touch of breadiness long into the finish, but it is not easy to find.

Mouthfeel - Lighter side of medium, very juice with some lighter but crisp carb, it's somewhat smooth but has some carb prickle that builds up air in the esophagus quickly, very much like soda pop would. Some of the carb has edges all the way down, but I don't find this enjoyable or desirable.

Overall - So there is excellent apple flavor here. But If there is a brown ale base used here it has been overcome by the apples. If you like apples, you're going to love this, as the apples are bold and natural flavored. I'm glad to have tried and rated this but I will not seek it out again.

Thumbprint Apple Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company