Follow our progress ...

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Skidz on 09-25-2004

Reviews: 454 | Ratings: 1,606
3.9/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- pours a clear amber color with with a small bubbly head. Decent lacing left throughout the drink.

Smell- Apples! Expected a bit more depth, maybe some hoppy or malty notes.

Taste- Apple is all over the place, with some bready malt as well. A bit of cinnamon. Tastes like straight up apple juice. It is sweet, but not to much residual sugars, so it is not cloying.

Mouthfeel- Lighter body, medium carbonation.

Overall- Straightforward taste, exactly what you would expect. Drinks very easy, you could have multiples with no problem. If you like ciders, highly recomended.

4.76/5  rDev +15.3%

This is my first New Glarus experience. Special thanks to my friend in Madison for picking me up a four-pack of this.

Poured 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

A. Poured a nice apple cider color with a small head that disappeared quickly after it was completely poured. Also has a decent fizziness to it.

S. Wow fresh apple smell up front with a hint of cinnamon.

T. A strong fizzy apple cidery taste up front with some cinnamon and other spices on the back end.

M. Light with a decent amount of carbonation.

O. This was a great representation of an apple cider beer. I love that it had a lot of carbonation and was full of fresh apple flavor. It is sweet but not overbearing. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is on the fence about fruit beer.

3.01/5  rDev -27.1%

Pours a clear, light golden orange with a nice cream head that dissipates quickly leaving just a ring of bubbles.

Aroma of green apples, apple skins, some buttery popcorn, powdery cheese, candy corn, and sweet pastry dough.

Taste is sweet green apples--very apple juice like. Finish is sweeter and more malty with a fruity apple and light pear presence. Lingering flavor of apple skins with a slight tartness.

Light to medium body and bubbly with medium/high carbonation.

Overall a neat beer, but too many off-putting smells and flavors. Started off surprised at how much apple flavor the beer had, but by the end it was very "eehhh."

6/6/2011

4.16/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a very lightly hazy orange-amber color. There is big, fluffy, bright-white head which fades from 2 fingers to a ring of foam.

S: Great apple aroma. Smells like the best apple cider I've ever had. Tangy tart green apple melds with some mild spice and warm caramel.

T: Similar to the nose, very apple forward. It really tastes more like an apple cider than a beer. In fact, I can hardly taste anything that resembles your standard beer at all. Tart apple dominates, followed by some spice that reminds me of apple pie.

M: Medium-thin mouthfeel with mild but foamy carbonation. Fairly sweet so it leaves my mouth slightly sticky.

O: Very unique. If I didn't know better, I would just guess that I was drinking the best apple cider I've ever had. Doesn't taste of beer or alcohol at all. Simply lovely.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 12oz bottle to a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice copper/orange color with a fat off-white head that fizzled like crazy and stuck around for a while.

Smell: Apple cider/juice wraps it all up. I keep trying to find the beer smells, but all I get is the cider/juice.

Taste: Very tart and sweet, but in a good way. Tastes good, just not like beer. If that is what Dan was going for, bravo!

Mouthfeel: Very crisp dry in the finish. Would be really nice on a cool day.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a new glarus glass. Thank you to gripitandsipit for this excellent brew!

Even given my excellent experiences with new glarus I wondered how they would end up capturing apple in a beer. To get to the point, they didn't disappoint. This is straight up the most excellent applesauce you've had in your life.. in a beer. Spicy apples in the nose, spicy apples in an ephemeral taste. This is delicious, and might even trump the cranbic. I'm very happy I got to try this and would recommend it to anyone within a many-mile radius of it.

3.97/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to Birchstick for this brew as part of the Phishy BIF, pumped to try out my first New Glarus beer, an unorthodox one at that.

Copper in color with a modest white head. Nothing impressive, like fermented apple juice.

The nose isn't as lively as I envisioned, definite apple with some background spice and a bit of breadiness. Apple pie is probably the best way to put it, although it doesn't overwhelm your senses with its sweetness.

First sip kicks this beer into gear, prominent red delicious apples, caramel and copious amounts of cinnamon. The apple pie hinted at in the nose is in full swing here, almost to the point where I don't even know if I can consider this a beer, it really is more like a cider. As it warms up, the malts become more prevalent, but still, more cider than beer if you ask me.

Medium bodied, very sweet and slightly syrupy. Drinks rather easy, but probably best enjoyed slowly.

Really interesting brew, a bit of a novelty, but definitely something unique and neat to try.

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

12oz bottle poured into a New Glarus champagne flute...

Pours a clean and clear golden orange, much like apple juice, two fingers of off-white head forms and recedes into a cap of haze...

Slightly sweet apples with just a touch of tart. Cinnamon and spice are abundant, not necessarily what I look for in a beer, but this one smells delicious, almost a warm and inviting scent to it, even though this beer is about 45 degrees right now...

Taste starts out pretty sweet, apple cider without much tart. Cinnamon comes out in the middle, is subtle and quickly fades away, back to a sweet, almost vanilla finish...

Light bodied with a very slick and fast finish. Flavor drops out pretty quickly leaving just some hints of creamy vanilla in the aftertaste...

It is what I expected it to be, definitely delivers on the name. Found it pretty good, but wouldn't really want more than one of these...

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours the color of apple cider, with a one-finger head that dissipates quickly leaving almost no remaining head and no lacing.

S: Smells very strongly like apple cider that's very overpowering.

T: I feel like I'm getting repetitive but it tastes like very flavorful apple cider with a small trace of hops, this is by no means a bad thing.

Overall: It's very well carbonated and the taste fits the style very well, although I'm not sure I could have guess that I were drinking a beer if I were blindfolded. As I said it tastes great but isn't something I'd drink a lot of, it would either get overpowering or old.

3.79/5  rDev -8.2%

A: an uneventful pour with a quickly dissolving head. A color that not surprisingly resembles apple juice. A golden copper hue.
S: very pleasant and abundant apple aromas. Sweet and tart with what appears to be a hint of cinnamon. Nice.
T: Let this one age a bit...trust me. The first couple of offerings we a tad mild, however I let one sit about 2 months and the profile really opened up! A nice balance between beer and fruit...perhaps a bit too fruity, but the booze and spice cut it a bit so as to not be too fruity.
M: medium carbonation with a dry finish. Light and not filling.
O: not a bad effort from one of the best breweries around. I will caution you however too let it age a bit before drinking. The scent and flavor really represent themsleves in much truer fashion.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Amber gold in color. Stiff pour yielded minimal head which dissipated very quickly. No lacing or retained head. Even swirling the glass wont bring the head back. More reminiscent in appearance of a cider than a beer.

S. Tart Apples. Smells fantastic though not very complex as apples are all that I smell.

T. Tart Apples and spices. Slight caramel malt. Classic new glarus finish which comes from the yeast - it is present on all of their fruit beers. Delicious.

M. Lively carbonation. Sticky finish like apple cider.

O. As a fan of hard cider and beer - I really like NG's apple ale. It's very refreshing and goes down easy. I should have bought more than a single 4-pack

4.34/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great combination fruity taste with the body that you would expect out of any beer drink, although I do not drink many fruit beers, this is one that I can see myself having several at a given setting.

A: Sparkling apple juice, with a thin head off the pour. Crystal clear, like a pilsner.

S: Boozy apple juice. Extremely fruity and sweet in the nose. Smells like apple juice mixed with a good lager.

T: Like the nose, extremely fruit-forward, with some booze under the veil, and a light, crisp, clean lager bite to cut the sweetness.

M: Lagerish. Crisp, clean, and wonderfully refreshing.

Couldn't drink more than one in a sitting, but this is an excellent fruit beer.

3.97/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz bottle served in a Goose Island tulip

A - Sparkling amber with a hint of red, small white head which shrinks quickly, good lacing

S - Blend of apples, sugar

T - Apple juice, fresh grains --> more apple, honey --> some caramel, bread, and a touch of champagne on the back half, ending fruity and sweet, but not overly so.

M - Very well carbonated, sweet without being sticky, light to medium-bodied

D - Do you find apple juice drinkable? I do.

A straightforward, nicely done apple beer. I'll buy this whenever I can - tasty stuff.

4.17/5  rDev +1%

Date: 04/25/2011
Type: 12oz. Bottle
Vintage: 2011
Glass: Portsmouth Tulip

Poured the color of apple juice(light brown mahoghany w/ subtle red highlights) w/ only a skim coat white head that left substantial lacing. Aromas of sweet apple, sour apple, and breadiness. The taste was a little more complex, of sweet apple initially, followed by sour apple, and finishing w/ cinnamon/spices and breadiness. The mouthfeel was thin and clean. Very easy to drink as the sweetness never became cloying as I feared it would.

Overall, pleasure to sample and for what it is it is very good. New Glarus hands down makes the best fruit beers in the US, they really have it down. At 4% ABV and reminding me too much of apple juice, not really my cup of tea., but not a bad brew.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

OK, first off, I'm biased towards fruit beers. Love 'em.
Second: Big thanks to battlekow for this tasty brew!

A: Amber in color. Scant head with no lacing.

S: Fresh apple cider from a country store. Just a lovely sweet apple smell. Considering that that is what this beer pimps itself as, I gotta love it.

T: More of the same, but better. This beer really tastes like fresh pressed apple cider. If you've ever had good cider, you know what this tastes like. If you've never had good apple cider, shame on you!

M: Mouthcoating, smooth, low level of carbonation. Alcohol feel is well nigh absent.

D&N: If you like fruited beers, and you like apple cider, this beer will be a wonderful experience. I love it.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Great dessert beer. Really joyed this after a nice rich meal. Don't normally love beers this sweet but I would recommend this for certain situations.

4.54/5  rDev +9.9%

A- Golden color with lots of activity and a nice white head.

S- Semi sweet apple it's a very nice smell but maybe a touch dry.

T- Nice apple flavor with a slight tartness at the end but very nice. There is a hint of malt that makes it clear you're not drinking cider.

M- Great activity it really sets off the flavors.

D- Very drinkable, this really should be a regular beer for new galarus it would compliment their other fruit beers well.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks TATURBO for this one!
Pours clear copper colour with one finger white head. Smell - sour apples. Taste - well it is more apple juice than a beer, strong honey flavour as well. This a great beverage - very crisp, refreshing, very tasty, it is just not a beer. I will rate it pretty high because I really liked it, i took me 30 seconds to finish a glass, but just so you know, there is nothing really related to beer here. I guess I'll need another one to figure this one out.

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

Thanks jegross.

A- Vigorous pour, just barely any white, I won't even call it head, it's bubbles. Clear, small bubbles, looks like sparkling apple cider.

S- Smells like sparkling apple cider.

T- The best thing about this beer is the fresh apple taste, the flavor is real apple, what you want an apple to taste like. Not really much else going on here for me. Maybe a little cinnamon? Just a bit too sweet for my taste.

M- Crisp like a cider but not as carbonated. Dry.

O- It's good, it tastes good. I am disappointed, am I wrong to want more complexity, something else going on? Not something I am going to go out of my way to try again.

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light amber with a frothy white head. Aroma is very sweet with candy and cinnamon. Flavor is sweet but also has an apple tartness at the same time. Light bodied, very sticky texture. A very good beer, the fruit is not overpowering but instead compliments the malt, yeast and hops.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Apple Ale pours a pretty transparent deep golden color (like apple juice) with reddish hues. There is a lot of carbonation coming from the bottom of the glass. It forms a bubbly white head that recedes fairly quickly leaving a foam ring on the surface.

Aroma is sweet and fruity with the apple notes coming through very nicely. Also some honey sweetness and floral notes. Mild but extremely pleasant.

Taste starts with sour green apples and maybe some grapes (?) .It soon shifts to a lot of honey sweet notes, again with the apples and a slight citric/floral notes. Malt is faintly grainy and barely perceptible. Ends with a sweet/sour combination and a kind of carbonated-water finish.

Mouthfeel is extremely refreshing with mild flavors and pretty high carbonation. Body is very light and smooth. Drinkability is absurdly high. I could drink this forever.

Wow, I'm impressed. Good job New Glarus.

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

Foiled 12oz from a 4-pack poured into a snifter.

Many, many thanks to zimmerbloke for this beer. An extremely generous BA.

L: Crystal clear, light brown. Champagne carbonation. Looks like sparkling cider or sparkling grape juice, brings childhood new years to mind.

S: Spicy-hot apple. Slight twinge of booze, but not overmuch. Really smells like a warmish apple juice with a touch of spice.

T: Starts sweet and builds into a delicious appley spiciness. Sweet, but not too much. Great seasoning in the spice here.

F: Feels just like sparkling cider, perfectly champagne-y. Carbonation is wonderful.

D: Could drink this all day. Perfect in fall, will be perfect in winter, and I could see cracking this on a hot summer day as well.

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

poured witha creamy dense white head, lacy on a almost clear amber sicer colored body. waffs of apples and some dense sugary malt, freshly squeezed apples and fresh apple skins and some residual sourness form the apples. oh my god...shocking and absolutly amzing first taste. sugary at first the some tartness hits followed by a tongue lapping sweetness that coats your lips followed by a very tart almost spicy prickly carbonation or acidic character. well pronounced tart sharp acidic character. no off flavors whatsoever very very well crafted...these guys are just amazing. for me though one bottle was enough, kind a wish i had a few more for further down the road.

4.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle, bought at the New Glarus Brewery in New Glarus, WI.

A - Sparkling apple juice.

S - Oh my. Crisp, fresh apple cider. Apple pie, crust included. Cinnamon. Oh man. I could smell it all day. New Glarus should invest in an air freshener business on the side.

T - Sweet, clean, refreshing. Tart and very tasty, with a lingering malt taste that reminds you it is a beer. Slight biscuit.

M - No stickiness, definite plus. Very carbonated. Light and bubbly.

O - Excellent fruit beer, I would not expect less from New Glarus, and one of my personal favorites of the style. It never lets you forget you're actually drinking a beer, either. Must try if you're a fan of fruity beer or apples, and recommended if you wanna try something new. Good stuff.

Thumbprint Apple Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company