Thumbprint Apple Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Skidz on 09-25-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Apple Ale Alström Bros
4.34/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- Pours an initial half inch head that recedes into nothingness after a couple minutes...clear copper/golden body. Some lacing left on the side of the tulip.

S- Aroma consists of a sweetness that is more of apple cider than apple juice.

T- One word: apples. Very sweet, somewhat tart at the same time. Hops are nearly impossible to pick out.

M- Right on par with Apple Ales cousins (brothers?) Wisconsin Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart, carbonation that dances on the tongue. Mouthfeel is on the thinner side of medium.

D/O- Strike it up as another world class fruit beer from Dan and company. My only (minor) complaint is the head retention. I could see how some would say this becomes cloying after awhile but I think it's great. I'd really like to see this be a year-round 750ml offering from New Glarus, right along side it's cousins....brothers?

2.16/5  rDev -47.7%

A- Pours a crystal clear copper color with no head. What happens is a few white bubbles pop up and then are gone. Looks like a darker shade of apple juice.

S- This is pretty easy it smells like apples. I can't pick up anything other than apple sweetness.

T- Tastes pretty much like apple juice and is pretty sweet.

M- Very light and pretty good amount of carbonation.

O- This one reminds me of a cider or wine cooler or better yet a glass of apple juice. Too sweet and has no taste or anything that I enjoy from beer. I do however understand how some people enjoy this beer.

4.29/5  rDev +3.9%

It pours a really nice sparkling, clear, copper color, lots of bubbles rising showing off a nice amount of carbonation. It has a a slight fizzy white head that dissipates extremely fast leaving a ring of film along the edges of the glass, very appealing and inviting for a lighter fruit beer. The nose is out of control, massive amounts of granny smith apples, faint spices, and a hint of grains, apple pie in a glass. Flavors are spot on, lots of tart green apples and pie spices with a nice smooth biscuit malt finish to remind you this is beer and not cider but stays away from being a gimmicky all out apple pie beer. Nice bubbly texture keeps this easy and refreshing, not overly light but just a lovely session beer.

Verdict: This blows ciders away, massive apple flavors but nice touches with the biscuit and spicing that is so easy to drink, refreshing and flavorful. Such a great take on beer.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

A: This beer is insanely clear, and just a sparkling light golden color. It pours a very small white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Wow, is this a beer, or is this just apple juice? All kidding aside, it is immensely fresh smelling. It smells very sweet and I can guarantee that if someone went into this smelling blind, they would think that fresh apples were just cut under their nose. Amazing.

T: This is just a bountiful blast of liquid apples in your mouth. The few ciders I've had don't even come close to what this beer is all about. It is just sublime how much apple flavor is really in it. It finishes with the slightest touch of malt, it kisses your tongue with a bit of sweetness, and bit of dryness. It is so drinkable and incredibly hard to put down for more than a 20 second interval.

M: Good, yet very soft and velvety carbonation. Light and airy mouthfeel, this starts and ends very crisp and clean.

Dan proves, once again, that he is the unabridged king of fruit beers. This is a must try for anyone living in the state of Wisconsin, and an envy of anyone living out of state.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

A: It looked just like carbonated apple juice or sparkling apple cider. very fresh and crisp looking. White head and very well carbonated

S: Smelled like freshly squeezed apple juice with perhaps a little bit of caramel

T: Tastes like sweet sparking apple cider, there was also a feint caramel malt flavor as well.

M: lots of bite, bright and crisp mouth feel, light bodied

O: This is a sweet beer I could drink over and over again. Its a very attractive beer with lots of apple flavor and smell and highly drinkable with a small abv. Delicious.

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

Reviewing NGs fruit beers can be tricky. They are fruit BOMBs compared to most others. For that distinction alone, the are pretty darn interesting. The problem is, do I review it as a fruit beer, something beer-like with fruit in it, or do I review it as something unique, based on its own merits?

This beer (is it really a beer?) pours a lovel shade of gold with a white head. The head does not stick around long.

It smells like apple. Like a green apple flavor candy. I mean, it smells exactly the way an artificially flavored apple candy would smell. An it tastes like that too. It is very sweet, like candy or pop. Too sweet for beer. Now I'm not saying that they made this with artificial apple anything, I'm just saying what it reminds me of. And I actually like apple candy and apple pop. I fondly recall apple bubble gum from my youth, a time when apple soda was often marketed (Aspen and Diet Apple Slice).

But therein lies some of my disappointment. There is a huge diversity of apples in the midwest and they have different varietal characters, much like grapes. I think it would be more interesting to make an apple beer that captures something unique about one of these varieites (or a blend of them) rather than make an apple beer that tastes like apple candy.

Since I like apple candy, I like the beer. As a homebrewer and cider maker, I realize how difficult it can be to make fruits really shine in a beer the way they do here, so I really appreciate the effort. But as a guy who loves the diversity of apples on the planet, I wish this beer had more character.

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

Thanks jegross.

A- Vigorous pour, just barely any white, I won't even call it head, it's bubbles. Clear, small bubbles, looks like sparkling apple cider.

S- Smells like sparkling apple cider.

T- The best thing about this beer is the fresh apple taste, the flavor is real apple, what you want an apple to taste like. Not really much else going on here for me. Maybe a little cinnamon? Just a bit too sweet for my taste.

M- Crisp like a cider but not as carbonated. Dry.

O- It's good, it tastes good. I am disappointed, am I wrong to want more complexity, something else going on? Not something I am going to go out of my way to try again.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle tasted with nicoco. Poured into a Tyranena tulip.

A: Clear, coppery brown...a little darker than apple juice. Pours with a small amount of head that quickly dissipates. Thin lacing that disappears quick.

S: Apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, some caramel malt.

T: Caramel malt, apples, not much spice in the taste. Sweet, but not overbearing. Almost cider-like.

M: Light to medium bodied with light carbonation.

O: Excellent brew. The fruit is balanced nice with the malt. Normally I'd be disappointed by the absence of hops, but not with this one.

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%

Wow. I cannot believe I haven't reviewed this one. I love this beer-- possibly one of my top fruit beers... But certainly one of my wife's top picks!

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a orangey gold with a white head that bubbles down to a thin wisp of micro-bubbles, leaving some thin streaks of lace that almost-but-not-quite form rings.

Wow. This is like cider. It is just fantastic. Nice sweetness up front, but the finish is crisp and dry. It isn't like a crappy "malternative" that is overly sweet-- this has found that perfect balance and comes across as delicious.
Really well done.

The body is -- wow... it's like sparkling. Lots of carbonation that is composed of light and tiny champagne-esque bubbles. Some little cinnamon notes come through here too.

I love this beer. This will forever remain on my wants list!

Thumbprint Apple Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company