Thumbprint Apple Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Skidz on 09-25-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Apple Ale Alström Bros
4.09/5  rDev -1%

Poured on tap at The Great Taste of the Midwest 2011. 10 oz pour into a tasting glass.

A- Poured a golden bronze color, clear body, well carbonated, ½ finger head, nice lacing, looks basically like carbonated apple juice.
S- Big fresh apple cider aroma, sweet, really refreshing aroma, pretty one dimensional overall.
T- Taste is basically the same as the nose, huge fresh apple taste, slight malt, some spice, really refreshing especially during a hot day, this was actually a perfect palate cleanser during the festival.
M- Light mouth feel, well carbonated, fizzy, sweet, smooth drinking, crisp finish.
O- Pretty one dimensional tasting beer, but overall really tasty, I love New Glarus fruit/vegetable beers and this one does not disappoint.

4.23/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a crisp, very good looking copper into the glass. Very thin ring of head lines the outside, tons of bubbles swirl vibrantly around and cling to the sides.

Smell is apple juice, but not fake and syrupy, more like the Welch's juice I had as a kid. Refreshing.

Taste is a carbonated version of a warm apple pie. Not over-assertive, just an amazing liquid version of southern goodness. I could definitely mistake this for a robust cider. What I like most about this beer is that I can taste it in my saliva afterwards, a light coating of apple lines my mouth for a few seconds after a sip. As the beer warms a faint spiciness comes out, reminiscent of a good Wassail.

I can't say I would want to drink this beer more than once a month, but on a cool fall day this sucker would be completely phenomenal. Spot on.

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

A- A deep copper hue with a nice initial head that dissipates quickly. Nice carbonated bubbles float to the top of the beer for quite a while

S- Amazing smell as soon as I poured the beer, I smelled pure apple.

T- The taste is a great mix of beer and apple. There is just enough malt and hop profile in the back to keep the beer balanced, however, the overriding taste is apples.

M- Extremely crisp and nicely carbonated. Very appropriate for this beer.

O- I've had this one before, and I enjoy it immensely every time. This is a great beer to change up my drinking routine and get me out of a rut. Tastes of pure apple with nice carbonation and amazing crispness.

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Pours a clear amber color with a small white head that reduces to a ring of foam around the top. Bits of foamy lace on the sides.

S: Apple pie, nice sweet apples and cinnamon. A bit of cider as well.

T: Nice apple flavor with some light caramel and some nice spice. A bit of cinnamon and some light malt. Not overly complex, but tasty.

M: Light to medium bodied with light carbonation.

O: Very easy drinking. Thought the aroma was better than the flavor profile, and wish it tasted like it smelled. But it was still good and a beer I would gladly drink again.

3.67/5  rDev -11.1%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Color: Crystal clear pale brass.

Smell: Apple pie filling, not much else other than that.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Sweet, semi-syrupy sugary mouthfeel. Sweet apple flavor, just like the aroma ... apple pie filling. Hint of cherries and cinnamon from the fermentation. Some cookie dough maltiness within reveals that this is actually a beer. Very sweet finish.

Overall: Awesome to see beers this far down the spectrum of sweetness and even being away from most qualities of beer. You'd think this was a cider though after a few sips some malt comes through.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to my brother for sharing this bottle. A fruit beer from New Glarus? Yes please.

The beer pours an amber color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the apple pie. I get all of the notes I expect, with some cinnamon, apple and bready notes. The flavor also doesn’t disappoint. I get cinnamon, apple and crust notes. This beer tastes like an apple pie. Awesome. Thin to medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. There are lots of breweries out there, but I don’t think anyone does fruit beers better than our friends from Wisconsin.

3.79/5  rDev -8.2%

A: an uneventful pour with a quickly dissolving head. A color that not surprisingly resembles apple juice. A golden copper hue.
S: very pleasant and abundant apple aromas. Sweet and tart with what appears to be a hint of cinnamon. Nice.
T: Let this one age a bit...trust me. The first couple of offerings we a tad mild, however I let one sit about 2 months and the profile really opened up! A nice balance between beer and fruit...perhaps a bit too fruity, but the booze and spice cut it a bit so as to not be too fruity.
M: medium carbonation with a dry finish. Light and not filling.
O: not a bad effort from one of the best breweries around. I will caution you however too let it age a bit before drinking. The scent and flavor really represent themsleves in much truer fashion.

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to funhog for this one.

A - Poured into a tulip glass the Apple Ale produces about a 1/2" of white head that fizzes away fairly quickly. The beer is clear with visible carbonation and looks like apple juice.

S - A mixture of tart and sweet apples make up the aroma. Reminds me of Macintosh and Granny Smith. There is also a little malty sweetness and possibly cinnamon.

M - Light in body with medium carbonation.

T - Sweet, fresh apples up front followed by some maltiness. Sour and sweet apple flavors dance across your tongue and compete with one another all the way through the finish.

Yet another amazing fruit beer by New Glarus. They make some of the best fruit beer out there between this, the Cranbic Ale, the Raspberry Tart, and the Wisconsin Belgian Red.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to TATURBO for this one! This beer poured out as a lightly hazy golden color with a thin white head that doesn't do much but form a ring around the glass. Not much lacing here. The smell of the beer had a pretty good aroma of apple to it. It starts to smell better as it warms up. The taste is like a blend of cider and apple juice with a good amount of spices in there too. The mouthfeel was almost medium bodied and had a good carbonation to it. Overall I can't say that it was my favorite Apple flavored beer, as much as I love these beers, I think it was a little too tart at times. I would drink this again for sure.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

Appley-tan and great looking, clear and sparkling. Head and lacing are kind of sparse, but damn the stuff is still pretty in a glass.

Smells like an apple orchard from the days of my youth that I'm not even sure I was ever at, but I remember it vividly and can't wait to get back.

Taste is so typical of New Glarus' astounding line of fruit beers. Fresh apple juice meets cider and beer in this crystal clear bit of sunday morning freshness. Love it.

Sweet and incredibly easy to drink, this is truly the beer you want when the classy chicks show up to the party. There ain't a person in the world that couldn't like this one, and they'll all be talking about it afterwords.

New Glarus just plain rock all the time, and I'm about ready to declare that an irrefutable fact.

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

My crazy, sexy, cool cellar continues to yield forgotten treasures. Once I have reduced the backlog, I will not allow that kind of thing to happen again. In the meantime, here goes ...

From the label: "Apple Ale sings with the fresh crisp taste of Wisconsin Apples. Our Brewmaster begins with a brown ale base employing Wisconsin famed wheat and a blend of Cortland, Macintosh and Jonathan apples. Our apple growing friends squeeze them especially for this brew."; "Expect this Ale to pour a beautiful copper color. The fresh bouquet will rise to meet you even before the glass touches your lips. So be sure to sip slowly and enjoy the fruits of a Wisconsin Harvest."; "Vielen Dank!"; "[undersigned] Daniel & Deborah Carey".

I employed a very gentle pour, resulting in mere wisps in terms of head. Color was a slightly hazy light-brown with amber highlights. It did, indeed, resemble freshly squeezed apple juice. Nose was very much driven by the apple juice employed in its production. Mouthfeel was on the thin side and the taste was of lightly spiced apple juice. If I had the proper equipment, I might consider heating this in a double boiler as a sort of mulled cider-type of drink. Finish was a pleasant admixture of apple and spice, the latter most likely cinnamon. Very tasty cold and would be welcomed as a hot drink also.

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a nice dark amber, verging on light brown. There is a very small white head (almost non-existent).

S: Smells like fermented apples and malt.

T: Tastes like it smells. The apple flavors shine throughout with some malt in the background. It has an almost cider quality to it.

M: Nice carbonation and the flavors don't overpower. There is a lingering sweet apple essence in the finish.

D: It's a decent beer, but I wouldn't want to drink another bottle immediately after. However, I'm sure it would make for a nice dessert beverage.

O: I'm not overly impressed with this offering from New Glarus, but I'm glad to have tried it.

4.13/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to seeswo for hooking this up for me and my BIF target!

a - popped the bottle and filled my captain lawrence taster tulip. beer actually looked like apple juice. i just to be an apple juice nut when i was little and this actually has captured the look. pretty cool. thin head that vanished within a minute.

s - more like fresh squeezed apples than juice. malty, but more fruity than anything. unique, but could use some more sweetness to really catch the vibe.

t - wow. this hits it on the head. apple juice with some alcohol.

m - a bit fizzy, a bit wine cooler like, but this is actually something i've learned goes with the style and also goes with NG beers. beyond that, medium to light bodied and on the highly carbonated side.

o - overall, new glarus continues to impress. their takes on vedgie beers are pretty awesome and they do it second to none. for a fan of apples, vedgie beers, and things different, this is another must try.

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a crisp reddish brown. A touch of white head. The pour is not impressive. Smells heavily of apple but in a very bland boring way. The taste is considerably better. Lots of apple and a touch of light malts. The apple flavour is top notch. Solid well carbonated mouthfeel. Overall very tasty but more like a cider than anything else!

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shimmering transparent amber, and very reflective. Quite a loud head that recedes quickly.

Smells of nothing but apple cider. Fresh, not like hard cider.

Oh. Oh my, that is delicious. It's hard to tell that you are drinking beer, but it's easy to tell that this is no hard cider either. Any trace of flavors from the yeast or malt are blended in perfectly. Maybe a little caramel. The aftertaste is sweet Jonah gold and tart Granny Smith, skins included. If I close my eyes and wish really hard, it tastes like apple pie including a doughy, sugary crust.

Medium mouthfeel, round but gentle.

I'm pleased that it's not full of "apple pie spices", cinnamon, whatever. Just clean, juicy apple. Bravo.

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured into my bruery tulip, copper in color with no head. Aroma of apple cider, almost an apple pie aroma. Taste follows the nose, sweet, tart apples with some malts in the back. Smooth and hides alcohol well. Tasty and different, a great change of pace, very good, if not great!

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks chris! Have been really wanting to get this beer.

A- deep clear brown color with little lacing and almost no head after pouring. Great color.

S- smells Mildly of apples and some malt sweetness. The nose is very mild but enjoyable.

T- great apple sweetness, with a slight hint of sour apples. The malt is fairly mild but enough to balance the apples into a great clean finish.

M- I've noticed that almost every NG beer I drink has a great soft texture. This one is certainly one of those, great soft mouth feel.

O- really loved this beer, wish I had cases for the hot SD summer.

3.62/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Looks like apple juice, with an small white head that didn't leave ton of stick on the sides.

S - Doesn't smell like beer, but smells inviting. Candied apples, apples, cinnamon, apple pie, vanilla, all good stuff.

T - Tastes quite sweet and good and a lot like apple juice, although sweeter with a bit more spice and apple pie taste. Easy to get down.

M - A little syrupy, moderate carbonation, medium bodied.

O - It's good, and it's really great for what it is. Doesn't taste like a beer, but the ladies will love it, and I don't mind.

4.17/5  rDev +1%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Many thanks go out to gratefulbeerhead for this one!

A- Pours a apple juice color...the person I was drinking with said the same thing. Two finger white head shows good retention. Nice streaks of light lace left on the glass while drinking.

S- Apple cider times ten. Big time juicy red apples with hints of cinnamon and brown sugar. The brown ale base blends together with this all too well leaving a light toasted aroma.

T- Apple cider once again when I drink this one! Light toasted flavors in the front die to a wonderful apple crisp mixed with cider flavor. I don't know how else to describe it but apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, and light almost crusty flavor. Alcohol is nowhere to be found even when I try to find it in the ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is low but good for the style. Apple pie/cider left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly apple cider with no alcohol to be found. Flavors were well blended and dead on to the style it said it was going to be. No off flavors at all in the beer. No alcohol drying on the palate.

O- This beer delivered on what it said it was going to be. Actually I found this beer to be better than most ciders who wish to taste somewhere close to this style. The apples in this just blew my tastebuds out of the water. Very fine job New Glarus...I really enjoyed this beer!

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

12oz bottle thanks to beerwolf77

Poured into a goblet glass

A- Huge fluffy 2 finger white head sits on top of a golden copper body. Tons of carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass

S- Smells like a cider. Tons of sweet apple and spice. Maybe some brown sugar or cinnamon. The malts from the brown ale definitely come through as well and blend really nicely.

T- Wow. Just like the aroma. Super creamy malts with a nice hint of apple and spice. Absolutely delicious.

M- Nice thick cream ale style body with moderate carbonation and a nice wet finish.

Best fruit beer I've had hands down.

SkÅL!

3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Awesome head for the style! Very white! Orange and red hued head. Head dissipates quickly.

S - Brew is very nicely blended. Super apple scent! Awesome! One of the best scents I've smelt in a fruit brew.

T - Holy apple pie. Tastes just like the scent. Awesome breakdown. Super sweet.

M - Perfect Mouthfeel. Very light bodied with awesome definition. Not a sugar bomb at all.

O - Slightly all over the board, but still solid and a great brew to a great trade! Super brew. Very glad I got to try this one.

4.27/5  rDev +3.4%

A-Pours a clear amber color with a hint of copper and a moderate amount of fluffy white head.
S-Aroma of vinegar with a bit of vanilla and sweet apples.
T-Lots of apple flavor with a bit of vanilla. The apple flavor is a combination of both sweet and tart apples.
M-Somewhat creamy feeling. Very sweet, not tart/dry. Decent carbonation.
Overall, outstanding. It's really impressive that they could get this kind of flavor from apple juice since apples don't have a very strong flavor compared to most fruits. The vanilla flavor I noticed reminds me of some barrel aged beers I've had. Another New Glarus fruit beer that you could just sit and sip all day.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Reviewed from notes.
A. Reddish brown color. Indeed, as many have said before me, it looks exactly like foamy apple juice with a bit of a head on it. Not cider, juice. It has a certain clarity to it. But super bubbly like a spritzer.

S. Smells like apple pie, notes of cinnamon and tart gooseberry.

T. This is interesting. I expected from some of the tart notes in the nose to taste some green apples but I was dead wrong about that. The taste comes across as only red apple varieties. The malt functions as a sort of "pie crust" for the apple pie filling within. Very sweet, can get cloying if you go too fast. Definitely a dessert-minded offering. I had hoped for some more pucker or tartness than this, however.

M. Very carbonated and light. The tingly bubbles do a good job of keeping the flavor refreshing and crisp on my tongue. Body is just perfect, keeping it thin helps to deal with the apple pie sweetness. Not oily at all. I'm super impressed because normally sweet dessert beers end up syrupy, greasy, and/or texturally annoying to my palate. This one is perfect for what I want in a dessert beer mouthfeel.

Overall, I think that this is pretty much liquid apple pie. I have never tried one of those "apple pie liquor" shots that seems to be trendy these days, but I suspect that they may taste much the same as this brew. But that would be a job for another website. It is worth emphasizing that this is NOT a sour, so don't go in to this brew expecting lacto. Expect delicious apple pie instead.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to burnheartsMKE for sending me this one!

Pours a crystal clear apple juice color (obviously) with a very small 1/2 off-white head that fades to an oily film on the top of the beer. Thin rings of lace stick around the glass on the drink down. Smells deliciously of fresh apples, apple sauce, and apple juice. Apples are the only smell from this beer and to be honest it doesn't even smell the slightest bit alcoholic. Taste is of all of the apple products in the smell along with some spice flavors that remind me of apple pie. Carbonation level is fairly high which makes for a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a delicious fruit beer that is up there with the Raspberry Tart and Wisconsin Belgian Red. Liquid apple pie in a low ABV, easy drinking, very tasty brew!

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz into allagash tulip.

This beer is all about apples. If those aren't your thing, steer clear. It pours like apple juice, although there's a nice white head on top. Nose is again- all apples- fresh and sweet red apples. The taste is... wait for it... apple-y with a big tidal wave of fuji and red delicious. Faint cinnamon and spice rounds out the profile. Light bodied-, well-carbed, refreshing.

If you like apples- you'll prob. like this beer. It's more apple-flavored-beverage than beer, but damn, is it tasty. Reccomended.

Thumbprint Apple Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company