Thumbprint Apple Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

Thumbprint Apple AleThumbprint Apple Ale

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Skidz on 09-25-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Apple Ale Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Big thanks to rlmartin for including this in our last trade as a bonus.
Aroma is lightly sweetened apples with a touch of honey and biscuit malt. As it warms you get more of the cidery apple characteristics (hints of clove and cinnamon).
The taste starts out initially with obviously apples and honey sweetness. The flavors are crisp with just the right amount of tartness; it is closer to the sweet than the sour side. This would have to be a great late October tailgating brew. The label says this started as a brown ale, but I am not detecting much of that; some notes of brown sugar and caramel maltiness.
Mouthfeel is great; it has a good level of carbonation. Crisp, clean, and delicious. Exactly what you think it would be and exactly what you would want it to be. Overall I really enjoyed this beer; it's certainly a change of pace with its lighter body and sweet caramel/honey flavors. I would certainly drink this beer again, preferably in the middle of Autumn.

claspada, Feb 12, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -14.5%

unplugged from 12 oz bottle

A- pours a clear apple cider color with fast receding head to a dismal collar ..no/little lacing

S- is mostly apples in a pleasant way with some malt a slight touch of sour apple/fruit

T- is fresh apples.... really to me it tastes like apple cider with some malts and caramel a little hop presence.a touch of musty apple

M- is medium carbonated and sweet with bursting apple flavor

D- really can only drink 1 is fairly sweet and taste to much like apple cider..good to try but not one i will seek out soon

gatornation, Feb 12, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +9%

Apple Ale pours a pretty transparent deep golden color (like apple juice) with reddish hues. There is a lot of carbonation coming from the bottom of the glass. It forms a bubbly white head that recedes fairly quickly leaving a foam ring on the surface.

Aroma is sweet and fruity with the apple notes coming through very nicely. Also some honey sweetness and floral notes. Mild but extremely pleasant.

Taste starts with sour green apples and maybe some grapes (?) .It soon shifts to a lot of honey sweet notes, again with the apples and a slight citric/floral notes. Malt is faintly grainy and barely perceptible. Ends with a sweet/sour combination and a kind of carbonated-water finish.

Mouthfeel is extremely refreshing with mild flavors and pretty high carbonation. Body is very light and smooth. Drinkability is absurdly high. I could drink this forever.

Wow, I'm impressed. Good job New Glarus.

paulozanello, Feb 08, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- pours a clear amber color with with a small bubbly head. Decent lacing left throughout the drink.

Smell- Apples! Expected a bit more depth, maybe some hoppy or malty notes.

Taste- Apple is all over the place, with some bready malt as well. A bit of cinnamon. Tastes like straight up apple juice. It is sweet, but not to much residual sugars, so it is not cloying.

Mouthfeel- Lighter body, medium carbonation.

Overall- Straightforward taste, exactly what you would expect. Drinks very easy, you could have multiples with no problem. If you like ciders, highly recomended.

JLeege, Feb 07, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured into my dogfish head glass on 2/4/11.

A - Pours a clear copper color with a thin white head that rapidly faded to just a few bubbles on the surface

S - Aroma is sort of faint, sort of a cross between apples and brandy

T - very interesting flavor, its like drinking apple juice but not as sweet and lightly carbonated, borderline hard cider. There is some caramel as well along with the apples but thats about it.

M/D - light to slightly medium bodied with a nice zippy carbonation. The drinkability is high but might be enough for me after a few. Sort of want to get back to something a bit hoppy.

mikereaser, Feb 05, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +9%

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This ale poured a brilliantly clear light orange color with a thin white head. The head rapidly dropped to a broken ring and did not leave any lace behind, but the color and clarity more than made up for this.

S= Smelled like apples and caramelized sugars with a hint of malty richness. Not overly aromatic, but the smells that are there really resonate.

T= Started off with a quick pop of malic acid bite, then moved into the more beery realm of sweet malts and caramelized sugars. The middle was all apple fruit flavor, slightly tart and slightly sweet. Finished crisp and lightly sweet, with an aftertaste reminiscent of baked apple pie.

MF= A little lighter than medium in body with a nice and crisp carbonation level. Very refreshing and clean feeling in my mouth.

D= Off the charts drinkable and so refreshing. I wish this was available to me by the case in the heat of June-August. So tasty and worth every good word that has been printed about it.

spointon, Feb 03, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

This comes pretty highly recommended from VDubb (which is saying something for a fruit beer), so I'm lookin' forward to this libation. It pours a clear brass topped by a half-finger of loose white foam. The nose is a swift reminder of cold, yet fragrant, apple pie, crust and all. So, apples, cinnamon, pie crust (you know the scent), a touch of nutmeg...yeah, the basic apple pie deal. A touch of light wheat sits in the background, an old dunce's cap firmly thereatop. The taste ditches the pie to focus on the filling. Straight up, apple pie filling all the way here, with heavy emphasis on red apples in particular. The body is fairly light, with a light moderate carbonation and a wet finish. Overall, a very nice fruit beer that delivers exactly what it promises. Not much more than that, though.

TMoney2591, Feb 01, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Clean and clear copper color with a lot of carbonation rising from the bottom, yet resulting in a rather thin head.

It smells like candied apples- caramel and red apples. It's very sweet.

The flavor is heavy on the apples, again the red kind. It almost tastes like carbonated apple juice but for the bready malt. Very low in bitterness.

Mouthfeel is fresh and crisp, leaving behind a sweet aftertaste.

High on the drinkability if you like apples. I'm tempted to chug these.

Vonerichs, Jan 31, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance - Light gold. Clear and bubble. Short fizzy head without any persistence. Actually, not unlike a carbonated cider.

Smell - Sweet cooked apple. Like the insides of an apple pie.

Taste - Unsurprisingly sweet apple dominates. Very clean and refreshing. Some complexity to the apple flavor - reflecting the several varieties of apple used in this brew. Flavor is quite good and tastes of honest to goodness apple, but it's a little cloying for my taste.

Mouthfeel - Light.

Drinkability - New Glarus is without peer when it comes to authentic fruit flavored beers. This is a nice addition, but not in the same league as Cranbic or the Belgian Red.

scaliasux, Jan 27, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +13.8%

I think the moment I realized beer was really amazing was when I tried the New Glarus Raspberry Tart, so this brewery has a special place in my heart even though, living in New York, I very rarely have the chance to enjoy their offerings. But my boyfriend got his hands on a couple, and since he knows I like this sort of thing, he offered one to me. It pours a very clear copper shade, with a small head that dissipates quickly; a great deal of carbonation is visible at first, but soon disappears. The nose is rather light, with just a hint of that slight apple-and-vinegar scent one finds in some ciders. The taste, too, recalls apple cider, and as far as I'm concerned, this beer is absolutely delicious. The dominant flavor is sharp, flavorful apples; the light carbonation really allows that flavor to stand out. I have a feeling I'll be trying to steal the second one of these from my boyfriend's closet ...

themedievalist, Jan 27, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -8%

I am not the biggest fan of apple beers but this one kicks ass. Pours a fairly boring, albeit, apple juice colored copper (nice hue). No head to speak of. There really isn't any nose to it. Where this shines is in its flavor. This beer is the perfect balance of subtle but present apple flavor and ale. The mouthfeel is great with a light amount of carbonation that allows the beer to be refreshing without the carb being annoying. Drinkability is nice too although any apple anything for me would get laborious.

Search this one out if you would like a fruit beer that lacks cloying sweetness - the dooming factor of most fruit beers to me.

GoGriz, Jan 23, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -12.1%

A: Pours a clear, light copper color. Lots of carbonation can be seen, and there is a half inch of fuzzy head. This beer look a lot like sparkling cider.

S: Sweet apple scent reminds me of apple juice.

T: Sweet apple flavor with a hint of brown sugar malt on the finish. This beer tastes like the filling of an apple pie.

M: Medium to light body. It's slick with a little zip of carbonation. Sweet and sugary finish.

D: I'm really enjoying this beer as it's certainly a change of pace with its lighter body and sweet sugary flavor. I would certainly drink this beer again.

SiepJones, Jan 21, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Man, it's amazing how much this things looks like Apple Juice with a lot of carbonation.

S: This beer is def not shy about what it's about. Apples and more apples. Smells darn good though.

T: Again, not shy about the apples.

My only other Apple beer experince consisted of having an "apple beer" at an apple orchard.

I saw a sign for apple beer and though, sure why not. I was a bit shocked when they took some apple cider and poured Bug Light into it. Needless to say, I was less than inpressed.

This on the other hand, this beer was MUCH better. First of all you while this beer is all apples you can tell it's quality versus Bud Light dumped into cider.

A very crisp apple taste with a fair amount of tartness and caramel sweetness. Just a darn tasty beverage.

M: Good carbonation level. Very clean and crisp finish.

D: If you like apple cider, you'll love this beer. I like apple cider and I like this beer. I could drink this all day on a hot summer day.

sugit, Jan 20, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Surprised that I have never rated this one previously. Much thanks to wisconsinbeer1 for sending this gem to me along with some other great Midwestern beers. Least he can do since he has been killing me in sports related bets involving Penn St/Wisc, Eagles/Packers, etc.

A - Poured from a bottle into two banging New Glarus flute glasses. Everything about this is apple so I guess you can say it looks like apple juice. If it did not head up with a nice little white pillow, you could easily mistake this for its less interesting juice cousin.

S - Smells like crisp apples on a fall day. Enticing aroma that lets you know you are in for a refreshing treat.

T - Again, a burst of apple flavor that will be a turn-off for some but for me it is exactly what I want. A crisp delicious beverage that has just the right amount of tartness to it although it is closer to the sweet side than certainly the sour side. This would have to be a great late Oct tailgating beer for sure.

M - Pretty good level of carbonation on this one. Crisp, clean, and delicious. Exactly what you think it would be and exactly what you would want it to be.

D - Very nice. Not something that you could pound because it is pretty one-dimensional but it is perfect for what it is.

I would have to say that of all places that make fruit beers, NG owns the patent on them. Between the Red, Raz, Apple, and Cranbic, all are great examples of the style. Bravo to the people at New Glarus.

Thanks Jason as always for throwing some my way. Always a welcome treat for sure.

Beerisheaven, Jan 16, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

Very appetizing, rich, golden amber color, much like cider. The head is white and very fizzy, it dissapates almost instantly into just a bit of film on top.

There isn't much in the nose, just a hint of green apple and a slight touch of caramel, vanilla and brown sugar. I wish there were more power in these scents.

The flavor is the real shining part of this beer. There is a strong apple base that lets flavors like cinnamon, caramel, brown sugar maple and vanilla. There is great power in each of these flavors, but none of them dominate the others. This is a harmony seldom found in such potent flavors. It is with delay that I rate the taste 5.0 because there is little to really establish this as beer, but the flavor is sublime regardless so I went ahead with the perfect.

The body is nice a thick, not heavy though, much like syrup. There is a little carbonation that lightens the sip at the end, preparing the pallette for the next sip. The refreshing quality of this beer, low alcohol content and great flavor make this one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had, I wish it were a regular offering so I could make it my dedicated session beer. Terrific.

dogger6253, Jan 16, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +9%

I wasn't blown away by this one the first time I had it but the second time, whoa!!! The first time I had it I was like, "okay, it's apple flavored, BFD". The second time I had it after having some Belgian Red and I liked it way better than the BR. Maybe the tartness of the BR really made the Apple Ale shine, I don't know, whatever it is I'll be looking for more of this if I can find it.

Pours looking like apple cider, the smell is all sweetness and apples too, yum. The flavor is where I was blown away in the second tasting. The BR is all tart cherries, the Apple Ale has a lot of apple flavor and a crispness in it but there is this butterscotch flavor that dominates at the end that is like nothing I've ever had. I didn't recognize it the first time I had it but it was the most obvious thing the second time around and made for a wonderfully complex flavor. The mouthfeel goes right along with the flavor, buttery. As for drinkability it's crisp, yet that butterscotch flavor was wonderful. I want more, great drinkability. I loved this beer, best thing NG makes in my opinion.

plumcrazyfx, Jan 15, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to Wisconsinality for this beer.

Appearance: Maybe because the the apple is in my head, it looks just like apple juice, but with more carbonation.

Smell: Like sweet and tarty apples. Very inviting.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Unlike a cider, this one is not as sweet as you might imagine. Just like an apple, the first taste you get is apple skin, that melds into the juiciness of a ripe and delicious apple. Slight tart taste at the end of the beer with mild carbonation. Mouthfeel is like a spiky apple juice.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable as it's akin to apple juice and it's very refreshing. Low in alcohol makes this one very easy to drink. Very good take on a fruit beer and one I would happily drink again. Kudos to New Glarus, you just made a fan. This would be great with a salad.

July2Nov, Jan 14, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Served in a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for this beer

This pours a frothy apple juice color (this shouldn't start a trend, but might) white head fades to nothingness. The smell is mostly of, surprise, apples. There is a floral apple blossom note to it and I must admit it's not too bad. Though it is sugary sweet smelling. The taste is mainly of spiced apple cider, there is an allspice and cinnamon note that you would find in cider. I really must admit it's rather tasty, but I really don't consider it to be much of a beer. This has a nice nip to it with the carbonation and the drinkability of this is good, but this beer's sweetness can get to you over the duration of a glass. Not a bad fruit beer.

Vdubb86, Jan 14, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

a- this is a pretty good looking beer. It has a good retaining head with a golden color. The carbonation is obvious with bubbles sticking to every part of the glass.

s- Smells like the label says apples. There are some breads and grains tones in there but it smells like cutting an apple and smelling it.

t- amazing, and one of the words that describes this beer the best is FRESH. By far the most fresh and refreshing beer I have ever had. The apples in this one dominate without being too sweet. I am in heaven drinking this one.

m- Extremely good and carbonated. the mouthfeel is light and I believe this is perfect for what they are doing. I dont like fruit beers or lambics to be to thick because they seem like a syrup.

d- I could drink this all night. The beer to me other than the appearance is perfect. I am a big fan of this beer and would reccomend it to anyone of you bas out there.

leakyfaucet12, Jan 14, 2011

Big thanks goes out to zimmerbloke and GraniteSkunk for both getting some of this out my way.

A: Poured into a tulip. Crystal clear yellow gold body with a finger of quickly dissipating white head. Moderate sheets of lacing are impressive.

S: Pure sweet juicy apples! No traces of any alcohol are apparent and based solely on the nose, there's no way to identify this as a beer. None the less, I already know this is a beer, and promises of greatness to come are already apparent.

T: Again with the crisp fruity apples! This is comparable to a bottle of Martinelli's sparkling apple juice accept it has the tart dryness of a Brut Champagne!

M: Thin, spritzy, and festive! To quote Ken Griffey Jr from the episode of The Simpsons he was on "It's like there's a party in my mouth, and everyone's invited"! Well said George.

D: Everything I've already said AND it's only 4% ABV? Stupid easy to drink and way faster than I would have liked!

The session beer craze is going to hit the craft scene hard here in America at some point. The magical things done with fruit by Dan Carey is already big in Wisconsin and could possibly be lessons learned for brewers who want to be part of the forth coming craze. I want so bad to see more beers like this done by other brewers but for now, New Glarus is king and second place isn't even close.

hopsbreath, Jan 11, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into a flute.

3.5 A: Clear light orange color. One finger of frothy off-white head that falls pretty quickly and leaves no lacing.

4.0 S: Sweet apple fruitiness like a sugar-laden apple cider. Just a touch of wild apple funkiness. Spiciness that comes off of cinnamon-like, which works well with the sweet caramel and brown sugar notes that's in there. Smells overall like warm apple pie. Pretty nice here.

4.5 T: Tastes just like apple pie as well, or maybe hot spiced apple cider. Cidery (obviously) with cinnamon and nutmeg spiciness. Sweet brown sugar and caramel. Not ridiculously complex, but quite tasty just like apple pie at Thanksgiving.

5.0 M: The mouthfeel is perfect for what it is. Lighter medium body. Champagne-like level of carbonation and just as spritzy. Super smooth. Wonderful.

4.5 D: This drinks as easy as apple cider or champagne as well. I could drink plenty of this in a night, but would eventually like to mix in something more typical.

DavoleBomb, Jan 10, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Leather tan color, in between an IPA and a brown ale, very transparent, no head whatsoever.

S: Sweet apple scent with a bit of roses. Very nice.

T: Unique. No tastes of barley, hops, or anything else considered beer. Strong and pleasant sweet apple taste with medium carbonation. Has a slight, barely noticeable funk at the end of it. Strangely, I really like it!

M: Carbonation's a little heavy, but otherwise good.

D: Too sweet to have more than 1.5.

Overall: We in the Midwest, especially Wisconsin, are spoiled by New Glarus' Unplugged brews. Apple Ale is like carbonated apple juice with alcohol. Though that description does it no justice, it's fairly accurate. It's good, not great. I love the apple scent and taste, both are extremely unique and tasty. But it doesn't taste much like beer. Also, it's a bit too sweet for more than one. Certainly one I'd recommend, but I probably won't buy another 4-pack.

PurpleCloud, Jan 09, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

12oz bottle poured into a New Glarus champagne flute...

Pours a clean and clear golden orange, much like apple juice, two fingers of off-white head forms and recedes into a cap of haze...

Slightly sweet apples with just a touch of tart. Cinnamon and spice are abundant, not necessarily what I look for in a beer, but this one smells delicious, almost a warm and inviting scent to it, even though this beer is about 45 degrees right now...

Taste starts out pretty sweet, apple cider without much tart. Cinnamon comes out in the middle, is subtle and quickly fades away, back to a sweet, almost vanilla finish...

Light bodied with a very slick and fast finish. Flavor drops out pretty quickly leaving just some hints of creamy vanilla in the aftertaste...

It is what I expected it to be, definitely delivers on the name. Found it pretty good, but wouldn't really want more than one of these...

hawks10, Jan 08, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to Steve aka leakyfaucet for this one. The first beer of my first Wisconsin trade box. Ahh, feels good. Enjoying it with my girlfriend, who has observed that this post so far is cheesy.

The beer isn't. It's clear, has some nice initial bubbles, and a cider/apple amber ale appearance. The smell blows you back with apple. Tartness for sure, very much like a cider, but there's a character to the smell that reminds you it's an ale. Not quite mom's Thanksgiving non-alcoholic sparkling apple cider. The taste follows that apple-but-ale theme, and is packed with apple sweetness, but manages to finish with a tinge of bready malt. The taste is certainly for apple fans, but may throw the standard cider drinkers off the taste-profile path they're used to.

It's drinkable though. Tart, sweet, light and crisp - this is an interesting brew for sure. Its only problem is that it introduces something not often done, and the combination seems to slightly overshoot the sweetness.

afksports, Jan 06, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Aroma: Tart apple, sweet, no alcohol - at 4% I didn't expect much.

Appearance: deep gold almost amber in color, large bubbles, thin, light yellow head with very little retention

Taste: Very sweet at first, almost honey like. Followed by the tart apple that I was getting from the aroma. No hop bitterness, or flavor really.

Mouthfeel: very smooth, medium-full body. Highly carbonated, very large bubbles.

Overall: Very sweet, probably couldn't drink more than 1 or two of them in a sitting due to sweetness.

heythere, Jan 04, 2011