Thumbprint Apple Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

Thumbprint Apple AleThumbprint Apple Ale

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Skidz on 09-25-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Apple Ale Alström Bros

KAF, Jan 18, 2012

ygtbsm94, Jan 16, 2012

bespin15, Jan 15, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

hilgart1, Jan 14, 2012

hattingc, Jan 14, 2012

nucmedmario, Jan 12, 2012
4.13/5  rDev 0%

Growler brought to a recent tasting - filled at Casanova's - I gotta hit this place some day. Nobody in THE WORLD does fruit brew better than NG - don't agree with me? the rankings do - so expectations are high.

The pour is awful. Mountain dew mixed with miller lite mixed with sprite.Seltzery little head on top. Oh well, I want to drink it, not paint it.

Smell brings the sour apple. I suppose there are some beer elements in there.

Taste is just like a jolly rancher sour apple. Delicious! There's a little bit of yeast and malt in the background to remind you you're drinking beer. Even better, this veers far away from the Mike's Hard Nameyourfruit type of flavor.

A little zingy and perhaps overcarbonated, but this is not a beer that could have worked with a thick smooth feel.

Well, Apple Ale looks lousy, tastes great. Insert your own misogynystic joke here, I suppose. I liked this slightly better than Raspberry Tart even, but like RT, due to the sugar/sour experience, I couldn't ever throw down a huge amount at one sitting. But I will be buying it.

lurpy1, Jan 09, 2012

WestSideAmish, Jan 09, 2012

ithinkimasofa, Jan 09, 2012

patm1986, Jan 09, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, stig!

Clear goldenrod, slight amber, with a small white head and not a ton of visible carbonation. It actually really closely resembles apple juice, with just a touch of active bubbly.

Incredible aroma of candied caramel apples. This is authentic, juicy, sweet, and fresh smelling. The aroma of rich apple orchards come leaping out of the glass, along with a touch of burnt sugar caramel and toffee aroma. I really like this!

The flavor follows similarly to the aroma, as the authentic, juicy apple flavor is dominant, with just a touch of bitterness, and some sweet candy toffee elements as well.

Thin to medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation.

A really nice apple beer. I wish it was just a touch more bitter and a bit less sweet, but I'd only be nitpicking. I love this stuff!

ehammond1, Jan 06, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -39.5%

IdrinkGas, Jan 04, 2012

MrHirschybar, Jan 03, 2012

brystmar, Jan 02, 2012

Phoenix2443, Jan 02, 2012

leschkie, Jan 02, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +9%

Like a lot Dan's unplugged series, it's difficult to put this one in a box. It has little in common with most other fruit beers I've approached, and in particular it associates more with fresh apple cider flavors than beer flavors. That said, I'm giving Dan the benefit of the doubt (which he well deserves) and figuring he set out to create a beer of intense, unadulterated fresh apple flavor, with the body and mouthfeel of a beer. And that he did.

At the first crack of the bottle, you get the sensation that you've bitten into a honeycrisp apple off the vine, and its juices are wafting up into your nose. The delicate fresh sweetness borders on the flavor of white grapes or a good chardonnay. The appearance is crystal clear and golden, with a thin white film of a head. Before tasting, you could mistake it easily for a sparkling apple juice.

You'll discover, as soon as you part your lips, the full bouqet of fresh apple flavor is executed perfectly on the tongue. It is really very sweet, quite cider-like, but balanced nicely due to the lightness of body and relatively high carbonation. The actual character of the hopping here is almost imperceptible, just enough to cut through the sweetness of the fruit. How such a powerful fruit characteristic was achieved, I really don't know. Barley has taken a back seat in this beverage.

My hat off to Dan as usual (probably the only exception was choco-abbey... man, what was that about?)

vitrael, Jan 01, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

A- pours a clear orange gold with a finger of nice head that leaves behind thin lacing.

S- WOW! Apples hit you from the moment you open the bottle. Almost a green sour apple candy.

T- Beer? Taste just like sour apple juice. Pretty amazing actually. Nice sour notes.

M- Very light body and smooth.

O- Not anything like I was expecting. Hard to classify this one as a beer, more of a hard cider I would say. Nonetheless, I will see if I can get it again!

OleJohnnieAle, Jan 01, 2012

Agold, Jan 01, 2012

Mrpickles, Jan 01, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

1018th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
12oz

Bottle stamp of 3081

Thanks to Erikkoppin for this one

App- A very well done and clear golden color with a one finger very fast receding head that left no cling or lace. Lots of bubbles in the glass.

Smell- Apples for days even out of the bottle it just filled the air with crisp green apples, A little sweetness and what seemed like a white wine note behind it.

Taste- I know someone said it below me and I hate to repeat but good lord this taste just like a Jolly Rancher. A little sugary, a little sweet and a little tart with a mix of all the apples. I really get no bitter or hops or malts on this one, just the light a crisp apples.

Mouth- A pleasant light/medium body with a semi medium/high carbonation level. Right amount of balance of smooth and bubbles.

Drink- Damn this was tasty. Between all their Fruit beers, they really should move out to all parts of the country. They are killing it with this style. This would be a great summer beer here in So.Cal. I would love to have this one again.

FosterJM, Dec 31, 2011

pirmannt1, Dec 30, 2011

LambicKing, Dec 28, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

Picked this 4 pack for 11.99 at a popular cheese castle in Wisconsin on a drive back to Chicago with my old man.

I did get an opportunity to sample it before purchasing and decided to buy it despite my apprehension. Once I got back to my place, I spilt it with a friend.

A- Nice golden color with little carbonation, no head retention.
S- Apples and tons of them. Smell like a combination of Golden and Red Apples.
T- Apples, sweet, don't detect much tartness. Not a fan of the aftertaste, the finish mimics an artificial apple butter-like taste.
M- Nothing fancy, sweet risidual, not overbearing. However, I may struggle to finish a whole beer.
O-This is a decent beer, but reminds me more of a cider or even a "Cidral" (Mexican cabornated apple soda). For 11.99, I would seek another beer, but I was suckered into it since the likelihood of finding this beer in Illinois is rare.

tasteegood, Dec 28, 2011