Thumbprint Apple Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Skidz on 09-25-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Apple Ale Alström Bros
4.94/5  rDev +19.6%

I have had my eye on this since it hit the shelf. I am guessing that this is going to be very limited edition so if you find this anywhere, thank the gods and purchase a few bottles. Bought at Sendiks for $2.99. Has the "Unplugged" series red foil on top with a neck label that says Apple Ale. The body label is typical of New Glarus with a branch of red apples. The narrative on the label says that it is brewed with a Brown ale base and blended with 3 kinds of locally grown apples that his friend personally squeezes.

Now for the report card...The color is a light copper color with a pretty thin head, but lots of carbonating action flowing from the bottom. The aroma is so unbelievably refreshing, that you believe you are in the midst of an orchard. It is not just apple smell, but freshness as well. The first sip brings pure enjoyment to the taste buds. The apple flavor spreads quickly, but doesn't swarm you with a sugar-sweetness. This beer is almost as flawless as you can get with a fruit brew. In my mind, New Glarus has earned the crown for fruit enhanced brewing. This is just one more winner to add to the Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart line!
One thing to note, this is exactly as the label says..an Apple Ale. If you do not like apples or cider in general, you will be wasting your time with this one.

4.94/5  rDev +19.6%

Picked up a couple four packs of this from New Glarus not long ago. I've had this brew many many times on tap but never was able to formally review it. It's one of my all-time favorites but I've only had it fresh. I hope a couple months of age on it doesn't diminish that fantastic apple taste. Drank from my Surly nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a super clear yellowish orange that is exactly the same color as apple juice. A nice one finger frothy white head forms from all the terrific bubbles that permeate throughout the glass. A weak cap is left with a really uneven collar and not a whole lot of lacing.
Smell- Just absolutely amazing scents of apples of all kind. Some tartness resembling green apples are the most evident but there is also a fleshier softer smell of overly ripe reds. Slightly spicy from all the fruit and honestly that's about it. Definitely smells more like apple cider than beer but I don't care. It's a fruit beer and the nose is amazing.
Taste- Oh good lord! The few months on this has taken just a slight bit of the sharp tart I remember. Better or worse? Not 100% sure but I'm going to lean towards the fresher, sharper version as my favorite. More of the Brown Ale base has made its way through adding the slightest bit of caramel to all the apple goodness. The beer starts with the freshest apple flavor you could think of. Like the nose, it consists mostly of lightly tart green apples but there is a duller fruitier red apple as that tartness fades. Finishes with the aforementioned red apple earthiness and a slight bit of the lingering caramel malt.
Mouthfeel- Light and amazingly crisp and clean with a refreshing yet sharp kick of carbonation. Spot on for a beer like this.
Drinkability- The very first time I had this beer on tap was a bar in Kenosha Wisconsin. Before I even realized what was going on, I had 6 of these delicious treats under my belt (By the time I was done I cashed the keg and could have bought an entire case from the brewery with how much I spent). I always drink these WAY to fast and it's about the most drinkable "beer" I've ever had. I use beer loosely since it's more like cider than beer but who cares. Amazing amazing stuff that they need to put on there regular lineup just like the Belgium Red and Raspberry Tart.

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Received as a gift from Romulux.

A: looks like fizzy apple juice. White head. Minimal lacing.

S: Smells like a green apple Jolly Rancher.

T: Tastes like a green apple Jolly Rancher. Spot on!

M: Refreshing and well carbonated.

O: NG is the king of fruit beers and this one is no exception. I would love a case of this to pull from on the days I feel like a break from big, boozy stouts and barleywines.

4.89/5  rDev +18.4%

Arrived just in time for a small little get together from burnheartsMKE, thanks man!! This has to be one of the best tasting fruit beers I've had in a long time. Took me right back to childhood memories of smelling apple pie at grandma's house for Thanksgiving. I will search this out again for sure.

4.86/5  rDev +17.7%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours amber with a mild white head, limited lacing, solid head retention.

S: Winter spice, green and yellow apples, mulled cider; decadent, like the best apple pie you've ever smelled.

T: Pretty much with the nose. More cider like than beer. Beautiful winter spice/cinnamon with the true apple flavour, absolutely delicious.

M: Light-bodied, crisp, soft carbonation with a very mild acidity.

D: As with the other New Glarus fruit beers I've had this is incredible. The top 4 fruit beers of my life, they're all New Glarus, can't say more than that.

4.84/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Orangish gold color with a finger of whitish head

Smell is apple, almost smells like apple cider but a tartness comes through. Almost like a caramel covered apple in the finish.

Taste is apple (of course), cinnamon, caramel covered apple, slight tartness... delicious!

Mouthfeel is medium with medium carbonation....

Well this is a wonderful creation, I have had several hard ciders hoping they would replace my urge for this stuff.... But nothing does, Hard Ciders just taste thin and flavorless in its place.

Amazing flavor for 4%, Flavor wise it tastes more like 10%!

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

A- A deep copper hue with a nice initial head that dissipates quickly. Nice carbonated bubbles float to the top of the beer for quite a while

S- Amazing smell as soon as I poured the beer, I smelled pure apple.

T- The taste is a great mix of beer and apple. There is just enough malt and hop profile in the back to keep the beer balanced, however, the overriding taste is apples.

M- Extremely crisp and nicely carbonated. Very appropriate for this beer.

O- I've had this one before, and I enjoy it immensely every time. This is a great beer to change up my drinking routine and get me out of a rut. Tastes of pure apple with nice carbonation and amazing crispness.

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured from 12 oz bottle to Duvel tulip. I really need to start incorporating some other glassware.

A: Clear dark orange appearance with a pleasantly small white head. Great look to the beer, both with an aggressive pour to start and then slowing it down.

S: Cliche, but yes...green Jolly Rancher. Apple through and through, but definitely not in an overly sweet way. Smells genuine and tart, bordering cider, but not crossing the boundary. Awesome.

T: Just along the same lines of the smell. This is amazing. Like biting into a less tart green apple. There's no prick on the teeth like a Granny Smith, but there's something bordering that taste.

M: Extremely smooth. The low ABV helps this, but I really have no complaints. Even after a few IPAs before, this is extremely palatable and I'm able to get as much flavor from the beer as I'd hope.

O: A great beer. I had no idea what I'd think of it, but holy crap...I need to get more.

4.81/5  rDev +16.5%

Up front, I need to own that I am a huge fan of New Glarus, particularly their fruit beers. Raspberry Tart and Belgian Red have been the beers of my dreams the last few years, and I've been lucky enough to spend my summers in Wisconsin with easy access to both. So I'm biased toward loving Apple Ale from the get go. Even aware of my bias, I was shocked at how good this brew is. It joins the rest of the New Glarus line as one of the best fruit beers in the country.

A: Shining copper with a fizzy, quick-to-vanish head and moderate carbonation.

S: Apples! Candy apples! Apple cider! Apple liqueur! There's nothing else that competes.

T: A tart bite up front followed by lots of fruity sweetness and stickiness on the middle of the tongue with a swift, dry and tart finish and fruity aftertaste. Hints of malt and cider toward the back of the palate after the strong and mixed apple flavors calm down.

M + D: A perfect balance of lightness with some fruit-driven stickiness. Medium mouthfeel and great length with many levels of flavor and complexity.

Overall, this is an amazing fall brew; worth a pilgrimage to Wisconsin.

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

12oz bottle thanks to beerwolf77

Poured into a goblet glass

A- Huge fluffy 2 finger white head sits on top of a golden copper body. Tons of carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass

S- Smells like a cider. Tons of sweet apple and spice. Maybe some brown sugar or cinnamon. The malts from the brown ale definitely come through as well and blend really nicely.

T- Wow. Just like the aroma. Super creamy malts with a nice hint of apple and spice. Absolutely delicious.

M- Nice thick cream ale style body with moderate carbonation and a nice wet finish.

Best fruit beer I've had hands down.

SkÅL!

4.79/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

Thanks to Terri from hooking us up with some of this glorious nectar!

A-Hard cider-like brilliant golden kissed copper. Minimal rising bubbles. A fizzy, medium white head starts then reduces to a a thin ring and leaves spotty lace.

S-Amazing blast of fresh pressed apples. Not much else other than a faint bit of caramel malt sweetness.

T-The closest "beer" hard cider replacement I have ever tasted. Amazing apple flavour is so up front and in your face it is crazy. I wonder what the malt/apple must ratio is with this one. A present, but mostly hidden, sweet malt backbone and a little spicy/tart zing compliment the apples.

M-Light bodied, very crisp, effervescent and "bouncy". A most enjoyable zippy mouthfeel that fits the brew perfectly.

D-You want drinkability? If you enjoy hard cider you will love this. As good as or better than most ciders I have had. I was told that if you like apples you will need to get at least a case of this stuff...well they were right! Wish I had more already! Truly a beer work or art! A job well done Dan...Thank you!

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

poured witha creamy dense white head, lacy on a almost clear amber sicer colored body. waffs of apples and some dense sugary malt, freshly squeezed apples and fresh apple skins and some residual sourness form the apples. oh my god...shocking and absolutly amzing first taste. sugary at first the some tartness hits followed by a tongue lapping sweetness that coats your lips followed by a very tart almost spicy prickly carbonation or acidic character. well pronounced tart sharp acidic character. no off flavors whatsoever very very well crafted...these guys are just amazing. for me though one bottle was enough, kind a wish i had a few more for further down the road.

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

Nice looking copper appearance. Slight off-white head leaves sparse lace. Quite the inviting juicy apple aroma. Very pronounced and nicely blended. Maybe a little cinamon as well. Malt is in the background too. There is a great, juicy sweet apple taste to this beer. But also ghostly tartness as well. A blend of Cortland, MacIntosh and Jonathon apples was used. Slight cinamon character. Some light barley notes in the back and a bit of a drying character coming from the hops. Easily the best apple beer or cider I've enjoyed. New Glarus has got a handle on fruit beers.

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

Picked this beer up near my inlaws over turkey day. We're having it along with some apple pie just to accentuate it. The beer pours an amber color with hints of golden in there. The nose is full on apples. Not a lot of the tart apple, but I think I like it. DAMN. What a nice flavor. I wish my apple homebrew was liket this. The apple is up front and in my faaaace (for you Chris). The finish is caramel sweetness from the malts. No detectable hop really. Feel is moderate, but what I expect on this beer. Drinkability is huge. I want to drink more and more and more. What a great beer. I really like it and will buy more of it if I find it when home.

4.76/5  rDev +15.3%

This is my first New Glarus experience. Special thanks to my friend in Madison for picking me up a four-pack of this.

Poured 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

A. Poured a nice apple cider color with a small head that disappeared quickly after it was completely poured. Also has a decent fizziness to it.

S. Wow fresh apple smell up front with a hint of cinnamon.

T. A strong fizzy apple cidery taste up front with some cinnamon and other spices on the back end.

M. Light with a decent amount of carbonation.

O. This was a great representation of an apple cider beer. I love that it had a lot of carbonation and was full of fresh apple flavor. It is sweet but not overbearing. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is on the fence about fruit beer.

Thumbprint Apple Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company