1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Thumbprint Apple Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

Thumbprint Apple AleThumbprint Apple Ale

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Skidz on 09-25-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Apple Ale Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

I am actually drinking the New Glarus 'Unplugged' Apple Ale not sure if it's the same.
This has a nice bourbon(Maker's Mark) look to it, a nice amber gold and in my vast experiance, it's a good sign. This pours smooth with a brief, lacey head. Little carbonation a.k.a. not much bubble action but to taste it the carbonation is fine. The smell is sour apple, light citris and a hint of molassas. The taste is really nice with, of course, apple but not overwhelming. Some spice with notes of grain (rice)

guntherhophead, Feb 20, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

I think this actually getting better with a little age on it. I bought it as soon as it came out and had a couple which I thought were very tasty. Now it is sublime. pours a very clean copper with a small head and moderate carbonation. The aroma? Well the aroma is probably the most natural smelling fruit beers I have encountered. A little tart. A little sweet. Hints of spice. Flavor started out on the sweet side but seems to be getting more tart as it warms a little. Again. It is such a natural flavor compared to some other fruit beers. I saw this for sale as recently as a week or two ago and now I am kicking myself for not buying a few more four packs.

brewbucker, Feb 20, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

Picked up a couple four packs of this from New Glarus not long ago. I've had this brew many many times on tap but never was able to formally review it. It's one of my all-time favorites but I've only had it fresh. I hope a couple months of age on it doesn't diminish that fantastic apple taste. Drank from my Surly nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a super clear yellowish orange that is exactly the same color as apple juice. A nice one finger frothy white head forms from all the terrific bubbles that permeate throughout the glass. A weak cap is left with a really uneven collar and not a whole lot of lacing.
Smell- Just absolutely amazing scents of apples of all kind. Some tartness resembling green apples are the most evident but there is also a fleshier softer smell of overly ripe reds. Slightly spicy from all the fruit and honestly that's about it. Definitely smells more like apple cider than beer but I don't care. It's a fruit beer and the nose is amazing.
Taste- Oh good lord! The few months on this has taken just a slight bit of the sharp tart I remember. Better or worse? Not 100% sure but I'm going to lean towards the fresher, sharper version as my favorite. More of the Brown Ale base has made its way through adding the slightest bit of caramel to all the apple goodness. The beer starts with the freshest apple flavor you could think of. Like the nose, it consists mostly of lightly tart green apples but there is a duller fruitier red apple as that tartness fades. Finishes with the aforementioned red apple earthiness and a slight bit of the lingering caramel malt.
Mouthfeel- Light and amazingly crisp and clean with a refreshing yet sharp kick of carbonation. Spot on for a beer like this.
Drinkability- The very first time I had this beer on tap was a bar in Kenosha Wisconsin. Before I even realized what was going on, I had 6 of these delicious treats under my belt (By the time I was done I cashed the keg and could have bought an entire case from the brewery with how much I spent). I always drink these WAY to fast and it's about the most drinkable "beer" I've ever had. I use beer loosely since it's more like cider than beer but who cares. Amazing amazing stuff that they need to put on there regular lineup just like the Belgium Red and Raspberry Tart.

younger35, Feb 19, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

A friend picked this up for me while driving across Wisconsin. What a girl.

A: Amber,golden. Basically looked like Apple juice or your average crappy American beer. Poured a 2-3 finger head that vanished right away. Really thought it might be weak

S: Solid apply smell. Nothing else.

T: It basically tasted like apple juice with a little malt to it, not much else. I liked it a lot. It did not taste like cider, but like apple juice. Only a little alcohol taste to it.

M: Again, like apple juice, though the weight was more like Cider.

D. Superb, easily a session beer

mdwalsh, Feb 10, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a golden copper colour, with no head whatsoever. Active carbonation is noticeable. A brilliant bright white can be roused with some agitation.

Smell is of applesauce and cider. A mere hint of malt. Slightly astringent smell lingering in the background. Shows a bit more malt characteristics as it warms.

Taste is an enjoyable sweet apple juice up front, a bit of subdued malt (maybe some caramel) and a slight tartness. A just just noticeable hop bitterness comes for the finish. Very cidery, but still great.

Mouthfeel is light-to-medium, with a great effervescent carbonation that keeps it interesting.

Drinkability. This one is sweet. This would be great as a dessert beer with fruit and cheese.
Another great fruit beer by New Glarus.

darklordlager, Feb 10, 2009

From the Dead Man's Chest
Nov 15th 08

The New Unplugged Beer From New Glarus is an Ale with a brown base featuring Wisconsin grown barley and six varieties of local apples. (They get extra points in my book for local materials.) Let's see how this harvest turned out.
The cap popped off with the sent of warm apples. The head was robust and tall over the crystal clear brownish amber body. There is a charge of tartness that sucombs to brown sugar. You get Granny Smith apple farm richness with the malt blending with sweet and tart apples. It's fall in a glass and it reminds me of the fruit farm I went to as a kid back in Northeast Ohio.(Paterson's) How could you not love a beer like this.

johanvond, Feb 04, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

12 oz. bottle tired 17 Nov 2008.

Note this was the unplugged version.

Poured in 0.5 L Adambrau becker. Small off white head, quickly dissipates. Medium carbonation. Color of apple juice. Smells like malted apples, apple soda. Tastes very much like a sparkling apple cider with a moderate malt background. Very fresh clean apple taste, not like a beer that's had fake apple flavor poured in it. Medium body. Low alcohol.

Very good combination of apples and beer with the apples predominating.

htomsirveaux, Feb 03, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

I meant to drink the Bohemian Pilsner but mistakenly opened an Apple Ale. Poured into my Lost Abbey tulip, the beer is vibrant copper with one inch white head. The head quickly dissipates and leaves little lacing.

The aroma transports me to an apple orchard. Perhaps an orchard in Wisconsin? Six varieties of apples, the label reads, and I do believe it. Fresh, crisp, apple aroma. The beer smells very sweet and sugary. Reminiscent of a cider. I'm unable to see (or smell, rather) past the nice apple aroma so I'll simply tell you that I noticed no hop or malt characteristics. There wasn't a trace of the brown ale in the nose.

Wow! Delicious! Sweet and slightly tart, crisp apple flavor. It really tastes more like a complex blend of fresh apple cider and apple juice than beer. No alcohol is noticeable. The finish is sweet, crisp, and clean.

Light-Medium bodied with low carbonation and a slightly sticky mouthfeel.

This beer was a serious treat.

HopHead84, Feb 02, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks Beerbeagle!!! Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a tulip. Very clear dark orange. Virtually no head and little carbonation. Looks like a sugary fruit juice. My wife says "that looks funny!" Anyways...Smell is of kids apple juice out of a juice box or something. Really sweet smelling. First couple of sips taste almost exactly like a good, healthy apple cider and juice mix. Not real sugary sweet, but really fresh and natural. After the first few sips it mellows a bit and I get a more active mouthfeel to it. More bite and carbonation. It tastes more like a beer and less like the apple juice towards the back of your tongue. really interesting and tasty beer. Smooth yet crisp mouthfeel. I could suck this beer down really quickly, but I want to enjoy it. One is enough, though. A little too sweet.

DrDogbeer, Jan 31, 2009
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Twelve ounce bottle designated part of the "Unplugged" series, compliments of dancinwillie. Thanks Sean! Pours a clear golden amber body with a small white head which quickly diminishes to a cap. Some wispy island chain lace graces the tulip glass.

Aroma is mostly apple, fresh McIntosh and Granny Smith, as tantalizing as walking around in an orchard's cellar in late October. A hint of juicy caramel underneath.

Light bodied, crisp and clean, with ample carbonation.

Taste is tart and sweet. McIntosh apples, again, in all their fruity, tasty glory. Early summer green apple notes are present but this is more red apple sweet than tart. Hints of caramel add some dimension. Nothing artificial or cloying. Label says this has a brown ale base, but nothing in taste or appearance bears this out, for what it's worth.

This is more like a cider than a beer, but it is very well done. I could definitely have more than one if these were available outside Wisconsin. Another solid offering from New Glarus.

merlin48, Jan 30, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours the color of apple cider, with a one-finger head that dissipates quickly leaving almost no remaining head and no lacing.

S: Smells very strongly like apple cider that's very overpowering.

T: I feel like I'm getting repetitive but it tastes like very flavorful apple cider with a small trace of hops, this is by no means a bad thing.

Overall: It's very well carbonated and the taste fits the style very well, although I'm not sure I could have guess that I were drinking a beer if I were blindfolded. As I said it tastes great but isn't something I'd drink a lot of, it would either get overpowering or old.

AdmiralDiaz, Jan 28, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a clear and very bubbly golden with a small white head that stays on as a ring as the bubbles continue to stream up from the bottom.

The aroma is, not surprisingly, dominated by apples and it smells like a really strong apple cider or fresh apple juice. Hints of caramel malts are dominated by the sweetness.

The first sip is a blast of tart apple sweetness that zings the tongue before the caramel malts show up briefly. The finish is very sweet with the apples but also has a slight bitterness that lingers into the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is well carbonated with lots of sugary sweet apples coating the palate and slightly dry.

This is another great fruit beer from New Glarus who certainly know their way around these styles. The drinkability may be slightly limited due to the massive sweetness, but it's still a great fruit beer.

gford217, Jan 28, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

12oz bottle courtesy of ughsmash, light orange color, looks like apple juice. First whiff is apples and apple juice, surprise! Smells really sweet, not sure if I like it. Very strange taste, like the malts are wrestling the apples for control of the beer. Not a bad beer at all just very, very weird.

ArrogantB, Jan 27, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -14.5%

A light amber red color, about like you'd expect cider to look. A modest white head retreats quickly, leaving no lacing behind. The liquid is very clear.

Aroma is crisp autumn apples. A second sniff reveals more of a freshly pressed cider. A very nostalgic smell.

A bracing blast of autumn, surprisingly biting upon my first sip. Apple flavor, yes, but also a round malt flavor that brings it all together. The bottle says that a Brown Ale base beer was used, and while I wouldn't have guessed it from the appearance, it does make sense in the flavor department. Decent hop bitterness, more than I expected it to have. The Brown Ale toasted quality becomes more apparent as this warms a little.

Somewhat of a full bodied beer, not quite chewy, but close to it. Tart and semi-sweet finish. Medium to high carbonation. I would actually like to cellar this for a bit, to even out the balance a bit, but really good as is.

Overall, this is a very refreshing beer.

dancinwillie, Jan 20, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

Beerbeagle was kind enough to add this as an extra in a recent trade with me in November of 08, so a BIG thanks goes his way! I'm a fan of fruit beers and really like apples, so let's see how this one goes.

Attractive 12 ounce brown bottle with a red foil top hiding a pry-off cap.

This one pours a clear, bright orange/copper with a small, off-white fizzy head. The head leaves a small, white halo around the edge of my pint glass.

Wow! Rich, powerful scents of FRESH, sweet, real apples all over the place mixed nicely with a lightly sweet caramelized malt. Simple nose, apples and sweetness. Nothing artificial in the nose, like processed flavors or generic sugars. It's like you are walking through an apple orchard at harvest time. Delightful.

Taste is much like you would expect from the nose. Light to medium bodied with medium flavor. This is like a sweet, triple refined cider... Very clean and crisp with the slightest bitterness on the aftertaste. It works well. No traces of alcohol, in fact if I didn't know any better, I'd think it's a sparkling apple juice. The label on the bottle indicated the base for the beer was a brown ale, but the apple was so dominant, you could barely pick up on the brown ale aspects. Super easy to drink, but like any easy to drink beer, be careful.

This is the most apple-forward tasting "beer" I've ever had. I am certainly glad I had the opportunity to try this extremely easy drinker. New Glarus did this one well. Good work, fellas.

beachbum1975, Jan 12, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Only thing lacking is some carbonation, thus the mouthfeel score, otherwise, it's heavy and smooth.

The clear amber apple color with no head looks fine, didn't expect it to look much different.

Big apple nose with a bit of sweetness, very fresh smelling. Some slight beer elements there, malt but no hops.

Great up front flavor of ripe apples, rich and smooth, with a slight backbone of the brown malt that makes it finish right between sweet and dry. Perfect, leaves you wanting more, and as an unplugged it's very nice, will have to try it with my remaining Berliner Wiesse, should be interesting, can't leave all these to the wife. Definitely better than any hard cider I've had.

robbyc1, Jan 06, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Not exactly what I was expecting, this beer is half way between a cider and an ale. It is better than any cider I have tasted, so it might be especially good for someone interested in cider. That said, it has a rather crisp golden yellow appearance with a white head that clears away quickly. It is rather carbonated and has an apple and floral aroma. It goes down very easily and tastes a little sweet, a little sour and went down very easily.

Atricapilla, Jan 05, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +15%

(A) Good look. Clear, Clean, signs of carbonation and no apple chunks.
(S) Delightful. Apple aroma could be smelled long before bringing the glass to my mouth.
(T) Fantastic! A great taste, like slightly sour green apples but with the sweetness of apple pie.
(M) Good. Crisp and clean, but a little too bubbly for my palate.
(D) This goes down the hatch with ease. Chug, Swig, or sip just a great, drinkable beers.
A beer that could be introduced to non-beer drinkers as a gateway beer.
Way to go New Glarus!

u2carew, Jan 04, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Golden, amber body with a one finger head that quickly fades to a lace. There is a lot of carbonation that is present in this beer.

S - Apples, a ton of them. The bottle says there is barley in there but I can't detect that past the strong apple odor. The apple smell is great overall.

T - Apples with a lot of a carbonation and sweetness. The balance between the apples and the carbonation is great - neither one is overpowering.

M - The apples standout early and during but the beer finishes with a nice full bodied carbonation.

D - The only drawback to this beer is the apples. If you love the apples this would be great for you. I could only have a few of these in a sitting.

Wisconsin, Jan 04, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

I was simply giddy seeing this one show up in my fridge finally. I had been waiting forever to give it a try and the fact that I had it made my night. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 01/02/2009.

The pour was very nice. Light amber in color with a good clarity to it let you see the adequate amount of carbonation streaming up skyward from the bottom of the glass. Nice rounded head of white on top just sitting there very nicely.

The aroma was like a walk through the orchard on an october afternoon. Rich, tart, granny smith like apples just soo fresh you could smell it from across the room. Perfect mix of sweet and tart, this was ideal, The flavor did not dissapoint. Rich flavor that was seemlingly neverending. I just could not believe how much this tasted like fresh apples. Simply amazing. Light, clean feel on this one with light carbonation made it a wonderful beer with an amazingly complex profile.

This straddles the line of a fruit beer and a cider, but it works very, very well. I expect nothing but excellence from the guys at New Glarus and this was no expection. A wonderful beer that I am happy to enjoy!

mikesgroove, Jan 03, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Glad they brought this out of retirement! Poured into a rinsed stange glass, a vigorous pour created a three finger head of crackling white foam. Surface has a nice soft luster, and a ring of sticky foam. Crisp and fresh apple juice aroma, some light musty yeast lingers too. Flavor is crisp tart red apple, some mild malt in the back, seems very close to dry cider. Very clean and crisp feeling, fairly light without the estery alcohol of traditional cider. A little bit sweet, but the dryness seems to take care of it before it gets cloying. Drank two yesterday and one today, so it's pretty drinkable, especially if you like apple juice or cider.

Tried a 50/50 blend with the Unplugged Berliner Weisse, and it was better with just about 1/3 Berliner Weisse added to 2/3 Apple Ale.

emerge077, Dec 29, 2008
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz. bottle on 12/19/08. Thanks to Deuane for sharing.

A - Clear bubbly golden/amber body with thin white head that quickly receded into a ring of retention and left scant traces of lace. Huge bubbles of carbonation are present throughout the body.

S - This ale packs the aroma of baked apples with a bit of cinnamon and caramel malt. Simple yet effective.

T - Flavor is similar to hard cider but perhaps a little sweeter and less alcoholic tasting. There's not much else to say about this other than APPLE. There is also some bready malt in the finish.

M - Light body with a syrupy texture and crisp mouthfeel. Sweetness and a very subtle apple tartness envelopes the palate.

D - Ridiculously drinkable. If you are looing for apple, this is it. Simply put, New Glarus brews some of the best fruit beers... period.

ffejherb, Dec 20, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Glad to see this one on the shelf when I stopped by New Glarus.

A: Pours a lovely golden brown hue with tons of tiny bubbles rising to the top. The retention is low but some spotty lace is noted.

S: Wow nice aroma, this one had my wife begging to drink it. Tons of fresh red and green apple, lots of sweetness with a touch of bitter. It is spiced no doubt about it. Tons of cinnamon with a splash of nutmeg. Cider has nothing on this one.

T: Wow the flavors. If you like the cider brews, you will love this one. Tons of fresh sweet and bitter apples.... skins included. Bold spice pushes thru as well... Very hot apple cider like. Wonderful flavors, with insane drinkability.

M: Light to medium in body, bubbly with an insane smoothness.

D: If you like cider beer, hell if you like cider you will love this one. Tons of apple and spice, if you were pour it in a glass for a beer hater they would have no idea this one is a beer. No hint of alcohol. This one is all about apple and spice... In such a wonderful way.

New Glarus does it again. It is a different monster than Belgian Red or Raspberry Tart, but just as tasty nonetheless.

tpd975, Dec 19, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light amber with a frothy white head. Aroma is very sweet with candy and cinnamon. Flavor is sweet but also has an apple tartness at the same time. Light bodied, very sticky texture. A very good beer, the fruit is not overpowering but instead compliments the malt, yeast and hops.

kmeves, Dec 16, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Cheers to Dan for another fantasic Unplugged beer!!! This beer is what an apple beer should be!

Beer pours out a clear copper color. The head dissapates quickly, and the smell of apples is immediately noted before even putting the glass to your nose.

This beer is very smooth, and probably the most sessionable beer that I have come across in a while. I could drink a ton of this stuff.

The taste of the beer is amazing. Apples at first and it finished like you knew it was a beer. U are missing out of you have not tried this beer.

I have not had many apple Ales, but this on sets the bar very high, it will be tough to find a better one.

4DAloveofSTOUT, Dec 14, 2008