Thumbprint Apple Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Skidz on 09-25-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Apple Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,475 | Reviews: 448
3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

What a unique beer! i was expecting a green apple tart brew, but i took a sip and it was golden delicious all the way. This tastes like a strongly carbinated cider, with some cinnamon and spices thrown in. It's really amazing how apparent the juicy red apple is. Even the mouthfeel has the same viscosity as apple juice. The drinkability of this is funny in that it is related to the season,lol. During three seasons it would be easy to drink a few bottles, but during fall it would be easy to drink a 6-pack! sigh....it is a shame this is retired.

3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: Pours a brilliantly clear pale copper color with a modest head that rather quickly fades to a lake within the borders of some foam

Smell: Shortbread and apple cider

Taste: Cidery from the outset, with a building sweet apple juice flavor that adds a brown sugar dimension; after the swallow, the apple flavors linger long into the finish, leaving a sweet, cobbler flavor on the tip of the tongue

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with low to moderate carbonation; puckeringly sweet

Drinkability: While this is a very interesting creation, in the end, it winds up being just a bit too sweet for me; I would have prefered a bit more tart apple in the flavor profile

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Many Thanks to northernbrews for hooking me up with this.

Pours into a pint glass.

A - Pours a slightly dark apple juice color with a little white head on top that disappears quickly, also has the body is crystal clear and doesn't have much carbonation either.

S - Huge amount of apple juice and cider smells which I love but no much else.

T - HOLY CRAP is this good, Big Time apple flavors with many some slight cinnamon and a touch of lemon. Pretty tastes like a top notch hard cider.

M - Tons of carbonation, absolutely the most crisp and clean beer I have ever had.

D - Amazingly refreshing, goes down super easy and tastes amazing, New Glarus needs to do 2 things, make this beer again and distribute it to Michigan (my house specifically).

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Bottle courtesy of nflmvp. Thanks to a great trader, and very happy to be enjoying this one on New Year's Eve!!

Appearance: Pours a peachy orange. Fizzy, with very little head, and carbonation almost like sparkling cider. Leaves a thin ring of lacing with large carbonation bubbles.

Smell: No surprise here--apples and cider, as well as some spices (cloves?) and a fair amount of malts in the nose.

Taste: Tastes nearly like apple juice, with a syrupy sweet alcohol taste that is barely present. It actually shocked me how little you can taste the alcohol here. It's sweet and fizzy, starting out with sweet apples and moving to a slightly tart aftertaste in the finish. Simple, but delicious, and well done. There's something in the aftertaste that's not quite apples, which as it warms turns out to be a light white grapefruit, and a hint of light grapes as well. Tastes like real fruit--delicious in its simplicity.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, large carbonation makes the apple juice taste really pop and stand out, as well as adding the illusion of a slight spice in the aftertaste. Well done.

Drinkability: VERY drinkable--though also filling. Would love to have this over and over again.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to Younger35 for this foil-wrapped 12 oz bottle.

A: The ale is significantly darker than the pale color I expected. Rather, it looks like a glass of apple juice except for the 3/4 finger of head blanketing the top of my glass.

S: The apple aroma is stronger and sweeter than I expected (clearly I've underestimated all aspects of this ale). Rather than showing off a tart green apple, the beer goes with a sweet, fuller array of red and yellow varieties. The apple presence is very sugary, very juicy.

T: Each sip has the sweet sugary profile of apple juice. There is little here to remind me that I'm drinking a beer. On the other hand, this isn't a hard cider. The sweetness is intriguing, heavily dependent on the apples for such a blast. If I didn't know any better, I'd never call this a beer.

M: An amazing ale, spot-on for the sweetness of apple juice with the kick that all adults can enjoy. Some things, like the offerings from New Glarus, never cease to amaze me.

D: I love apple juice and I love beer. Therefore, it stands to reason that I love this drink to a geometrically greater degree. I don't see myself drinking this all day long but as a one-off treat it really hits the spot.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass, winding down another glorious early fall day full of football. Huge thanks to Mike (mikesgroove) for hooking me up with a beer that's definitely been on my most-wanted list.

Pours golden-amber, clear, with no head whatsoever to speak of. Rather lackluster. (Score bumped up because it's simply worth too much. a 3 in App shouldn't bring this from an A to an A-).

Nose is very interesting - as has been said before, if i didn't know what I had been handed, I would guess apple juice. Towards the end there's just a bit of - something beery - that pokes through, but it's hard to really put me finger on what.

Taste is phenomenal. Sweet apples hit you up front, with a sparkling carbonation that gives a nice bite underneath the apple-juice exterior. More cider than beer initially, but definitely on the sweeter side, just a bit of non-descript malt pokes out towards the finish to help dry the experience out a bit. Stellar.

Mouthfeel is crisp and light to medium bodied, maybe a hair syrupy, but you really have to look for it. The sharpness of the carbonation does wonders for this.

Drinkability is astonishing. I wouldn't be surprised if this used the exact same base recipe as Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart. Delicious beer. I'm disappointed that the low appearance score hurts this as much as it does, so I'm artificially bumping appearance - this is easily an A beer.

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%

12oz bottle. Poured in a pint glass. Yet another brew I received multiples from various traders. Big ups to all those cats.

A: Pours a golden orange. Very little head if any. Leaves some oily, top lacing.

S: Apple Juice and more Apple Juice. Seriously, you could to a blind sniff test and trick quite a few people. There's also some hints of spice and malty sweetness.

T: Big, juicy apple goodness. If I didn't know this was a beer, I'd swear it was a dry cider. Very sweet and a tad bit of tartness on the finish. Also some creamy caramel malts with a small amount of biscuit to round things out. Delicious.

M: Mouthfeel is surprisingly thicker than expected.There's some decent carbonation and it really sits well in the mouth.

D: I think my friend kept stealing sips, because the glass was gone before I knew it. Like I said, this could almost be a good cider or quality apple juice.

I've had this a few times now and have enjoyed ever sip. I'm kind of upset that I discovered this beer after it's very hard to obtain. This is one of those beers I'd love to let non-beer people try. New Glarus are easily the kings of producing fruited beers here in the US. I'd love to see them revisit this as a seasonal offering.

4.07/5  rDev -1.5%

Big thanks to Dan (Schmittymack) for sending this brew my way. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a lighter amber color, rather vibrant. Great clarity. Produced a thin, half fingers width of white head that quickly reduced to a ring.

S- Oh man, this one is fantastic. Literally smells like I just opened up a bottle of Mott's apple juice. Other than ripened apples, there are hints of an earthy/semi-spiced aroma.

T- Exactly like the aroma. The part that blew me away was the quality of the apple flavor in this beer. Pure 100% natural. Sometime fruit beers can feel very synthetic with artificial type sweetness. No such thing here. Almost as if someone just smashed up a bushel of apples and poured it straight into my beer.

M- Well carbonated, light to medium bodied. Leaves the palate semi-dry.

D- Extremely drinkable...especially on a cool, rainy afternoon such as this.

Overall, I am not really a fan of fruit/vegetable beers, but so far Dan has hooked me up with two of the best I have had...this beer and the Raspberry Tart. I had to carefully watch my glass as my wife tried to steal a sip here and there. There's a fine line between a cider and a beer and New Glarus managed to find a spot right up against it. Well done.

4.29/5  rDev +3.9%

Presentation: Gorgeous, original foiled 12oz brown pop top with a nice ditty about the beer...massive thanks go out to the awesome girl at the brewery who pulled one of these out of the back for us to take home, so we could try it

Appearance: Crystal-clear dark golden beer, bordering on amber, with a thin white cap of large bubbles which soon fades to a thick ring

Smell: Brilliantly and vivaciously fruity...there's six varieties of apples in here and it seems like it; this is like fresh apple cider but kicked up a notch in intensity...fresh and crisp, with not much of any malt aroma in the background...this is almost like an English-style dry cider, but more natural

Taste: INTENSE apple flavors...it's complex, earthy, sweet and tart, delicious...like fresh cider from the apple orchard back home, mixed with the apple juice we all drank as kids, but with the slightest undercurrent of brown sugar/sweet caramel malt. Weird? Yes. Delicious? Yes!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth

Drinkability: High; perfect for fall

Conclusion: This is one fantastic fruit beer...in no way is this fake, sugary, or artificial...it's got emphasis on the fruit over the malt for sure, but it's more complex than a cider...feel lucky to have gotten to try this one...paired wonderfully with baked brie with raspberry honey and almonds

3.99/5  rDev -3.4%

One of my few remaining bottles of this pours into my glass a copper orange color with superb clarity and a quarter inch of light fizzy bubbly head on top. Aromas start with big crisp fresh apples. Somewhat spicy and reminiscent of a fresh apple cider on a cool autumn evening. Mild malty background.

First sip brings sweet apple cider flavors rushing across the palate that are quite vibrant. Mellow maltiness as it flows down. A tasty cider beer that's sweet overall with big apple juice flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth with good carbonation....again along the lines of a carbonated apple cider. Overall, a darn tasty apple ale that is straightforward and hits the spot when you need something different. I hope they brew this one again.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Another in the bounty of New Glarus goodies traded to me by alcstradamus. Again, thank you.

Pours a clean, clear copper with orange highlights & just a little head (about a quarter-inch). Not much lacing, a swirl left some little strands.

Smells awesome: sweet baked apples, some honey-like sugar, baking spices.

Taste is like farmhouse cider with a subtle but solid malty, bready follow-up in the body. Delicious. Finishes tart.

Mouthfeel is very active, prickly, tingly -- hits you like A1. Acidic in a good way. Thicker & stronger than cider without being sticky.

I really enjoyed this beer -- my experience with fruit beers is that they tend to be either very thin or taste like the fruit has been "added" in some way. This was right up front & defined by the apples without losing the body & malt that makes a great beer. One of the best fruit beers I've had.

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

12 oz bottle into a flute. Big thanks to Deuane for hooking me up with a bottle of this.

Pours a clear, effervescent gold, with 1 1/2 fingers of rigid brite-white head. Retains with a nice creamy look around the edges, staying strong, and leaving some quality patchy lace back. The aroma is straight up apple juice in the nose. This is a bit cider-like as well, with the tartness of the apples playing nicely with the sugary sweetness of the wheat. Bit of floral hops and spice make themselves known in a more subtle fashion. I'm not sure what the ABV is, but I swear that I'm getting just a touch of warmth in here as well.

The taste is crisp apple flavors, with a delicious malt base of sugar and bread. Spicy Noble hop character pulls up the back, tasting a bit like the cinnamon topping on this piece of apple pie. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, with a crisp and bubbly pop to it, and man, does this go down easy or what? I literally think that I could have used 2 bottles of this for the review.

I love how they used the hops and spice to counteract and compliment both the tartness and sweeter components of these fruit beers, and this is just another great example of that. They really need to make this a fall seasonal during apple season. Very nice!

4.19/5  rDev +1.5%

Smuggled this baby back from WI to the East Coast. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. The fluid is a bright copper color with a glow to it. The head that formed was miniscule, but a small amount of lacing was retained around the edge of the glass.

The smell is amazing!! It smells like a tart apple pie with distinctions resembling a crust and apple peel! There are also hints of clove. There is also an underlying cidery foundation in the smell.

A drink reveals a very quaffable brew, with a decent malty sweetness up front, quickly giving way to a apple cidery/pie flavor, and a tart dry finish. Wow! Very nice indeed. Not sickeningly sweet like a lot of fruit beers/hard cider products, but enough apple tartness to let you know the ingredient was used.

Mouthfeel is medium light with a healthy amount of carbonation and a dry finish.

The drinkability is quite good as the beer doesn't have an overwhelming apple sweetness, but is more geared toward the apple tartness.

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip. pours a rich amber color with a single finger of eggshell colored head that has good retention and leaves very light lacings. very close to apple juice in color.

aroma is of faint sour apples, with an acidic character and little else. the apple flavor is nicely restrained and pleasantly sour, with only a light sweetness added on. not much as far as malts or hops go.

taste is lightly sweet with the same distinct sour biteon the back end. the apple is again somewhat restrained, with just enough flavor to sustain the sour character. a very light yeasty character shows up upon a bit of warming, otherwise the brew is basically an apple flavored sour ale.

mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly tart, with a sour, acidic finish of residual apple flavors.

drinkability is good. for a fruit beer, there is not much 'beer' in the profile, but the flavors present come together into a very pleasant composition, though it still could use a bit more yeast or malt character. cheers!

4.19/5  rDev +1.5%

I bought a bunch of these for my wife and I had a few too;) I was pleasantly surprised by how good this smelled. It was closer to apple juice than an apple beer. The taste was something like a 50/50 mix of cider and juice. Couldn't detect any hops or alcohol at all. I wish I knew the ABV on this one. I have a few of these left and my wife had one last week and said it's held up very well. Hope they hang around till this fall to have a few more.

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

Haha. This is something that can easily be served at the peak of autumn and would be a great hit! Purchased while visiting a friend in Duluth, MN. Poured into two open mouth red wine glasses. Pours a beautiful sunset gold. Smell is overwhelmed by the essence of fresh cut macintosh. Just a slight malty hint. No sign of hops. Taste is simply stated as very good cider. Can notice almost nothing of a bitterness and as in the smell only a hint of very light malts. Mouthfeel is great, very smooth. This in my opinion which gives this beer its own. A medium body, silky almost which lingers for a good minute after drinking. Far too easy of a "beer" to drink. Overall though a very nice drink. I very much enjoyed it.

3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

12 ounce bottle received in a trade with mikesgroove, think a four pack of these run about ten dollars, poured into my Duvel tulip glass on Tuesday, reviewed from notes, color is a light golden yellow, actually a bit cloudy, 3/4 inch bubbly head that did not last long, small amount of lacing and retention, green apples but not quite granny smith because they did not smell too sour, mild citrus, sugar, and white wine, starts off with a variety of apples, flavors from both red and green ones come through, sweet with sugared candy in the middle, finishes with more apples, not much else going on flavor wise, would have been even better is some tartiness showed up, still not a bad fruit beer, sweet, sugary, and light mouthfeel, thin to medium bodied, high level of carbonation, taste did not last long and what did was a little sweetness, more along the lines of Lindemands in this case, could have drank a whole lot of this stuff, alcohol is not even there and supposedly this stuff is below four percent, went down very easy, quite sweet without overdoing it, inviting and light, not the best of the Unplugged series but still a good beer overall, would drink again, worth trying

3.62/5  rDev -12.3%

Paid $2.49 for a 12oz bottle from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, WI. Poured into a standard pint glass to review.

Half inch white head that is quite fizzy. Head dissipates quickly and there is very minimal retention. Lots of rising carbonation bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Transparent lighter copper in color. Almost no lacing.

Smell is of sweet, freshly cut Macintosh apples. Smells more like a cider than a beer to me.

Taste is as suggested from the nose.

Light and crisp. Well carbonated. Quite drinkable.

A nice offering from New Glarus whose best offerings incorporate fruit in the brewing process such as this one.

4.27/5  rDev +3.4%

RBSG09 bottle at the grand tasting. Pours golden orange with a frothy white head. Big bruised apple aroma with sweet dough. Smells like fresh apple pie. Huge ice cider apple barrage, really robust fresh pressed apples. Almost tastes more like apples than apples do. Pretty delicious.

4.19/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks to MasterSki for the hookup on this one.

Pours a clear gold with some caramel hues into a pint glass. 1 pinky of white head fades quickly and leaves only the slightest bit of lacing spots. Smells primarily of green apples, but also a bit of brown sugar and some malt. Tastes of tart green apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, lightly toasted malts, and a touch of citrus. Medium in body with nice fizzy carbonation. Tart and fruity with a bit of a sour pucker. Quite easy drinking, almost cider-like with the amount of apple presence, but the sugars and pie crust-like malts help remind you that it is beer. Delicious stuff.

3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

Bottle at PPRBSG09. I had been hoping to try this beer for a long time, and it didn't disappoint! Pours a clear light orange with a small head. Aroma of sour apple, cheese, and apple vinegar. Flavor of fresh apples, sweet apple cider, apple vinegar, and some sour apple notes. Very nice!

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks go out to Masterski for this beer.

A light golden, very translucent body that has a good amount of carbonation bubbles moving around in there. About a finger of bone-white head that doesn't last very long, but does leave a thin head on top of my beer.

As soon as I take one sniff of this beer I realize it is not exactly what I expected. Instead of all apple, I smell apple pie. Apple, some slight tartness, cinnamon and a big dose of sugar. A little different, but it smells very good.

The first flavor that comes to me is green apple. I say green apple, because along with the apple flavor comes a good bit of tartness, which is both tasty and refreshing. After that comes a sugary sweetness that is paired with cinnamon to create a cinnamon sugar, pie-filling type of flavor. I swear I can even taste pie crust in there when a slight maltiness comes through in the finish.

The mouthfeel is moderate for both carbonation and body. Perhaps just a bit puckering also.

This beer is something a good bit different than what I've had before. It strikes me as a mix between a fruit beer and a spiced beer. Although I typically don't like either of those styles, here the mix certainly works.

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

A--Clear light copper color with lots of tiny carbonation bubbles. Champagne-like appearance

S--Sour apples and caramel

T&M--I thought it was going to be a little too tart for my tastebuds based on the nose, but it wasn't bad. Tastes like apple juice mixed 50/50 with a cheap champagne. Light bodied.

D--Not really something that interests me overall, it tasted O.K. but I don't want any more.

4.49/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a see through amber with orange hue. A nice, ample white head is present.

Smells ike apple juice, some pear... all around orchardy goodness.

Tastes just like Simply Apple apple juice. Nice and refreshingly tart! God, is this amazing.

I could drink a dozen of these. The alcohol is nowhere to be found... apple concentrate beer equals an incredible, unique drinking experience.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Viggo brought this one over. thanks eric!

12oz bottle topped with red foil. sampled june 16/09.

pours crystal clear orangey amber with a small dense white head. the head quickly drops to a ring around the glass and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is good. a nice blend of different apples - a little granny smith, a little red delicious, and some other types too. light alcohol. cracker and white bread. bit of butterscotch and caramel. bit earthy.

taste is great. wow, there's apples in that beer. or is it beer in those apples? there's a touch of sweetness, but it never comes across as sugary or artificial - just a nice ripe apple sweetness. a touch of slightly tart and sour apple. cracker and white bread. touch of grain. almost no bitterness at all, just the slight sour+tart character. really nice.

mouthfeel is good. pretty light body. medium-light carbonation.

drinkability is great. nice balance. great apple blend. nice beer-apple mix. good stuff!

Thumbprint Apple Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company